[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

it wasnt THAT good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: wwfattiude.jpg (55KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wwfattiude.jpg
55KB, 1920x1080px
it wasnt THAT good
>>
>>2985717
No it wasnt. Anyone who has a hardon for the Attitude Era is looking through nostalgia glasses. And remember that nostalgia is the most toxic of impulses
>>
Ra>ae
>>
>>2985717
>>2985739
Yes it was and no they aren't. I didn't grow up with the Attitude Era because I wasn't allowed to watch it. I'm watching it on the Network and even mid-1997 before the official start of the AE, WWF was far superior then to what it is now. Far. Even *if* it was equal it would still be better because it was only 2 hours per week instead of 5 hours and 15 minutes.
>>
choppy choppy pee pee was better than any angle in the past 10 years
>>
>>2985774
Cringe. I think the AE is overrated in aspects, but the only people who think the RA era was good were people who grew up with it. Go back and try to watch it, especially RAW PPVs from 2002-2004 and SD PPV's from 2004. RAW 2002-2004 is unwatchably bad.

And I did grow up with the RA era, but it has not held up at all.
>>
>>2985717
>someone who wasn't watching
>>
>>2985803
I grew up through the late 80s and stopped watching around 2010, started watching again this year. Ra era was my favourite.
>>
>>2985821
Hm. Interesting. I tried to revist stuff a while back and couldn't get through it, like I said 2002-2004 RAW is garbage. No wonder millions of people left. It didn't start getting good until the rise of Batista. Those brand PPVs, with hindsight, really exposed how thin and weak the rosters were too. 2004 SD PPV's were always notoriously horrendous.
>>
>>2985833
Benoit and Eddie on top killed the biz for a while there.
>>
>>2985717
>it wasnt THAT good

It wasn't good, period.
>>
>>2985803
Been watching the RA era RAWs and they're cozy as fuck. Solid midcard and Austin/Bischoff shenanigans were fucking great. The only thing that sucked was Haitch's reign of terror.
>>
File: ambrose reacts.webm (2MB, 700x612px) Image search: [Google]
ambrose reacts.webm
2MB, 700x612px
Dean Ambrose on the Attitude Era

> I don't like my wrestling or entertainment in general to be too clean or predictable for me as a fan. When I say clean, I'm not talking about dirty jokes, middle fingers and stuff like that. I'm actually not even a big fan of that.

>A lot of people talk about the attitude era being so great but a lot of it was terrible crap, sex jokes and over-the-top terrible bad comedy. It was Jerry Springer-like. They made a joke about a woman's breasts. Hilarious, but where's the wrestling? I look back on a lot of stuff now, and I'm like where's the wrestling? It's just a lot of crappy jokes.
>>
>it wasnt THAT good

You're right: it was better.
>>
>>2985862
Dean knows he wouldn't survive 2 hours in the Attitude Era. He'd be considered the joke that he should be considered today. Dean is fake crazy, fake badass, fake cocky. Brian Pillman would beat him the f*ck up. Ambrose would be laughed out of the arena the moment he stepped in the ring

Also

>where's the wrestling?
Ask that to yourself Dean. What's ONE (1) memorable match you've ever been in? The only one I can recall is the one with AJ but that's only because Ellsworth pushed your ladder over
>>
File: the future of wrestling.jpg (685KB, 1504x1004px) Image search: [Google]
the future of wrestling.jpg
685KB, 1504x1004px
>>2985717
>>2985739
>>2985803
>>2985839
the amount of retardation in this board is overwhelming ffs.
>pic related
this is what you pussies want wrestling to be.
>>
Even the bad matches seem good due to the hype as fuck crowds though. And there were some amazing main events.
>>
>>2985717
No it wasn't.
But if you used to get blown by a 50 cent hooker and now get blown by your 91 year old grandpa, you're going to be constantly thinking about how much better the hooker was.

>>2985862
>Dean Ambrose on the Attitude Era
>I look back on a lot of stuff now, and I'm like where's the wrestling? It's just a lot of crappy jokes.
This is in itself a joke right? Surely Ambrose can't be that drugged up that much that he's not aware of his own career?
>>
>>2985717
WCW mark during the MNW, didn't even watch Raw back then. I watched a lot of 98-2000 stuff recently, and it really was just a lot of raunchy, shock value, silly shit, and the wrestling wasn't that good most of the time. But the entertainment factor was off the charts. A lot of it was stupid bullshit, but it kept me interested, which is a hell of a lot more than WWE is doing now.
I honestly think 2002-2006 was the best time for WWE all around.
>>
>>2985909
Not really. Just saying the RA era hasn't held up and there's a reason millions of people tuned out during it. In 2004, I pretty much stayed with wrestling cause I liked what TNA was doing at the time. I would have to beg my mom to order me those weekly PPV's at the time (I was 8). Though I will say SmackDown produced lots of great weekly shows during that time period, just the PPV's themselves were lacking for the most part.
>>
>>2985717
From an in-ring standpoint and even a storyline standpoint, most people can agree that the AE was trashy, but it was probably the only time in the modern Era of wrestling that the WWF/E had its finger on the pulse of American Pop Culture. Nearly everything in American Media was having their own "Attitude Era" in the late 90's. Even Nickelodeon was edgy at that time.
>>
>>2985803
RAW was bad but SmackDown was pretty decent
>>
Today's roster couldn't draw anywhere near the numbers Rock and Austin drew.
>>
>>2985739

No it isnt. White knighting is.
>>
>>2985717
18+
>>
>>2985717
It wasn't that good but it was still the best era. They were actually relevant and had the whole world watching. They took chances and pushed boundaries. Sure a lot was yeah but what was good was great.
t. Old fuck that was a teen during the ae
>>
ECW was always better.
>>
>>2985717
It actually was That. Damn. Good.
>>
Oh look. It's another "much workrate" faggot. ECW, Stone Cold, The Nation, nWo, dX. Post all the Cringey Omega promos and stupid choreographed spots you want. It's still 10x better than anything we have today.
>>
>>2986689
A lot was trash*
>>
Fucking RA era was trash
18+
Fucking Finlay and Bob Holly were in main events towards the end of it.
>>
its overated but it was a good time and did really good and important things for the business
>>
The Attitude Era is no different from many other cultural phenomenon type things.

Pro wrestling was at its most popular at that time regardless of quality. Then it stopped being part of pop culture like many other things. It's in a similar place to the rock genre where I would say that some of the best things in it came out long after its peak where a lot of things were refined and things weren't as formulaic, but all that came at a time when the mainstream audience wanted something else.
>>
>>2985717
Cringe. Anyone who says this was good clearly is viewing it with nostalgia glasses. The current PG era is much better.
>>
>>2985717
Literally and unironically the greatest era in WWE history.
>>
>>2985803
Funnily enough you failed to mentiom the reason the RA was so fondly remembered. Smackdown 02-04

Still the best quality shows WWF/E have ever produced.
>>
People actually watched the entire 2 hour block and was entertained. People were invested i n every feud from low midcard to main event. Some of it aged poorly but there is no denying it delivered what the audience wanted
>>
I wonder how many people who hate the attitude era haven't watched it and are just following the old "it was really popular back then so it must suck. Nostalgia! Nostalgia!"
I'm watching it right now on the network, and nothing else even comes close. People who say there was no actual wrestling are probably just parroting an opinion off reddit. The only thing that happens that isn't treating the wrestling seriously is some inconclusive finishes on TV matches, and those feuds always get wrapped up on a PPV with a satisfying and definite conclusion.
>>
>>2986757
Truth. When your midcard is people like Dlo Brown, Edge, Val Venis and Shamrock and people got hyped, you were doing something right. Fucking X-Pac was over
>>
>>2986715
This. Trashy TV was in at the time, and this is when jerry spinger became famous as well. It wasn't uncommon as a kid to start a "jerry jerry" chant whenever you heard an argument happening at school. But, like other fads it passed and we look back fondly at it.
>>
The WWF from 1984 to 2005 was great, I don't care which era is your favorite. Everything after that has been total shit and it's all but dead now.
>>
>>2986770
>Fucking X-Pac was over
Why wouldn't he be? People only turned on him because he got stale.
>>
>>2986788
this.
>>
>>2985717
Tried watching an episode of Raw is War on the network and could not get through it. Bunch of literal whos wrestling terribly with shit finishes. Only recognizable faces were Austin, Rock, Mankind y'know the big names.
>>
>>2986855
You just described every era of wrestling tho
>>
>>2986855
Gee, you tuned into a sports show from 20 years ago and didn't know anyone but the megastars whose careers and legacies have survived into the modern day? Shocker.
Protip: this isn't exclusive to the attitude era, the WWF, or even wrestling at all.
>>
>>2985717
Cool, now off to squaredcircle with your muh unpopular opinions
>>
File: 1499442727495.png (157KB, 302x358px) Image search: [Google]
1499442727495.png
157KB, 302x358px
>>2985717
>it wasnt THAT good
>>
>>2985905
>f*ck
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>2985905
That match against hhh
>>
>>2985717

The only good thing on the RAW was often the main event scene, which was generally much better than it is today despite the roster not being anywhere near as "stacked." There was a lot of dumb and boring shit on the undercard, though. Remember Brawl for All? Jesus Christ.
>>
If you are workrate geek then no. But if you are normal casual fan, it provided a lot of entertainment. No pointless 20 minute matches going through commercials, constantly some shenannigans happening somewhere, lots of backstage/out of arena stuff and soap opera storylines. Entertaining characters and gimmicks and not just "GREAT WRESTLERS"
>>
>>2985803
The RA era ppv were all just HHH getting dirty wins.
>>
>>2986788
X-pac was carried by HHH, New Age Outlaws, and Chyna. When he wasn't helping one of them out no one cared about him
>>
>>2986749
I should have mentioned that in my original post, yeah, but I did mention it here >>2985918
>>
Wrestling has never produced an event, episode or special that is 100% good. Failure is part of the business.
>>
>>2987535

X-Pac was more over than every other DX member at one point and would often get the biggest pops in the group. 18+, you have no idea what you're talking about. Even when he went solo in 99, he was getting loud cheers.
>>
>>2987624
Are you a troll or a moron? Don't give me your 18+ shit I actually watched all of X-pac DX runs, he was never close to being the most over, the closet was the Wrestlemania where Triple H/Chyna teased a DX reunion but turned
>>
>>2987582
What would you know
You started watching in 2105
Failure is 100% of your life twixboy
>>
>>2987535
HHH was the LEAST over member of D-X outside of the one MSG pop for the entirety of '98
>>
File: b62.jpg (26KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
b62.jpg
26KB, 600x450px
>It wasn't THAT good
>>
>>2985717
Compared to the last 15 years? Yes, yes it was.
>>
>>2987786
>Leader of DX
>Least over
Your right there, I remember all those matches between X-pac and The Rock for the Intercontinental/World title
>>
File: Rock+People's+Elbow+to+X-Pac.gif (2MB, 284x214px) Image search: [Google]
Rock+People's+Elbow+to+X-Pac.gif
2MB, 284x214px
>>2987808
>I remember all those matches between X-pac and The Rock for the Intercontinental/World title
Me too.
>>
>>2987852
Yea, they were great squash matches for cheap heel heat
>>
>>2985717
98-99 wasn't that good
00-01 was amazing
>>
>>2988649
>98 wasn't that good
Thanks Network watcher!
>>
File: 316.gif (954KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
316.gif
954KB, 320x240px
>>2985717
>It wasn't that good
*GLASS BREAKS*
>>
>>2985905
>falling for bait posts
>>
>>2988719
Seriously the sound of Austin's entrance alone was enough to get me hyped as fuck
>>
>>2988719
*huge crowd pop*

guys now can only dream of getting the kind of pops Austin was getting on a daily basis
>>
>>2988719
>>2988747
Oh god that glorious sound.
i remember growing up as a kid 8 or 9 and loving Stone Cold Steve Austin, my dad was also a fan and took me to wrestling events. Good times.

Stone Cold will always be one of my favorites because of nostalgia but when rewatching some of his matches he's just as hype as before. I love the cracking open of beer cans as well
>>
Name 1(ONE) moment as great as Stone Cold spraying the Rock and McMahon down with beer from the truck
>>
>>2988845
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM_X-2Y6OZo
God the attitude era was fun as fuck.
>>
>>2988880
>RAfags think this was garbage
>>
>>2988845
I think I prefer the zamboni. A fucking flying clotheslines taking out Vince.
>"DONT LET HIM IN HERE! DONT LET HIM IN HERE!"
>"AUSTIN GOT MCMAHON! AUSTIN GOT MCMAHON"
>>
>>2988880
Holy fucking cringe.
>>
>>2988845
Austin arriving and squaring off with Tyson. That was fucking electric.
>>
>>2988910
That's a seething fedora tipper if I ever saw one.
>>
>>2988649
98-99 was wrestling soap opera at it's finest.
>>
>bait posting
>>2988915
Don't give him a (You)
>>
File: Austin-0.jpg (77KB, 642x722px) Image search: [Google]
Austin-0.jpg
77KB, 642x722px
I love how Austin didn't really have any gimmicks he was just the most badass motherfucker imaginable. Physically he looks like a muscular redneck dad, but that didn't take anything away from it.
>>
LMAO. "What?" Austin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_y3OOQniDU
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.