[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did WCW die? They had way better product then WWE, ECW, New

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_5722.jpg (22KB, 303x206px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5722.jpg
22KB, 303x206px
Why did WCW die? They had way better product then WWE, ECW, New Japan, Ring of Honor or Impact.
>>
AOL
>>
>>2970084
This. AOL had no interest in trying to fix a rasslin company. That was billionaire Ted's baby, so once he was BTFO so was dubya c dubya.
>>
>They had way better product then WWE, ECW, New Japan, Ring of Honor or Impact.
Only if you're from Alabama and you live in a trailer
>>
>>2970110
I'm from New Jersey
>>
Horrible booking. All their matches were shit compared to WWE and ECW. WCW was just the retirement day care centre for WWEs cast offs.
>>
Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan didn't draw a dime.
>>
>>2970081
Better product? Fuck no, the wrestling 9/10 was shit in WCW aside from cruiser weights and the ppvs were terrible. In terms of television production you have an argument, Bischoff innovated in the structure of live television and the sets were impressive.

One good angle does not make a good wrestling company. The NWO ruined WCW.
>>
RAW is WAR was superior from mid 97 onwards
>>
>>2970173
No it wasn't because it didn't have Hogan, Flair, Nash, Hall, Misterio, Sting, Macho Man, DDP, Booker T or Steiner.
>>
>>2970187
WCW had better talent but WWF put out the better product. After a while, WCW was groundhogs day. The same shit week after week.
>>
>>2970192
>WCW had better talent
Not their Main Event. When you had Hogan, Nash, Hall, Macho Man in the ME you knew you were getting a stinker. Even Sting and Flair weren't that great by the late 90s. Only Booker, DDP and Steiner could deliver. And so you couldn't have good payoffs; doubly bad because not only would the matches suck but Hogan and friends would bury anyone getting hot.
>>
>>2970205
Austin and Rock >>> the entire WCW roster wolfcuck
>>
>>2970213
Austin sucked at wrestling all he did was punch, kick and stunner. Rock was slightly better. But Michaels and Angle was only guys who could wrestle during this period. At least until guys like Regal, Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero and Melenko came over.
>>
>>2970224
>Austin sucked at wrestling all he did was punch, kick and stunner.
Kid, just shut the fuck up. It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. And Jericho debuted before Angle.
>>
WCW became unwatchably horrible around the turn of the millennium

>>2970224
>Dwayne was a better wrestler than Austin

kek
>>
>>2970224
Austin was entertaining, all that matters.
>>
>>2970127
>>2970171
>>2970205
>>2970213
+18

If you watch WCW until june/july 1999, you could watch some nice matches, the difference was in the WWF style, the WWF at the time used a modified NY style, that means a lot of theatric shit combiuned with a brawling style thatas why we saw a lot of punches and kicks, meanwhile on WCW the wrestling was the same as before so you saw moire moves from the wrestlers there.

Overrall if you were more used to WWF 80's NY style you'll prefer the attitude era brawling style, but if you were a JCP/NWA guy you'll like WCW style more.
>>
>>2970081
Forget the vince shills. The only reason WCW died was Time Warner being a bunch of cucks. Even in its worst year, it was better than any wrestling company today.
>>
>>2970122
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>2970271

I mentioned this in the WHAT KILLED WCW thread a few days ago.

Time Warner saddled the WCW with a full time standards and practice staff. I think Tony Schiavone mentioned 3 employees; one that traveled full time. Everything had to be run through them.

Anyways, WCW couldn't compete with the WWF in terms of shock factor or edginess. The WWF had zero hand in killing the WCW. The WCW was saddled in what they could televise and had to get ultra desperate at the end to attempt to attract fans.

Had Turner been in charge and let them do as they please? WCW would have finished the WWF off shortly after Brets arrival.
>>
million dollar contracts to anybody and literally whos.

nobody could draw a dime anymore although if you compare RAM to Nitro then and now the ratings are about the same.
>>
>>2970122
Do you reside in a mobile domicile?
>>
>>2970130
Hogan took all the dimes for himself, that's why.
>>
>>2970506
>the WCW
>>
>>2970224
Outted yourself.
>>
>>2970506
I remember some really tasteless angles from WCW in 1999
>>
Their critical mistake was not bringing in Big Angle Vic Venom earlier before Eric sunk the ship.
>>
>>2970574
>Russo cost WCW a third of its ad revenue with one decision
>>
>>2970599
Wait....what was that decision?
>>
>>2970677
Cutting hour 3 of Nitro
>>
>>2970691
Short-term might cost them but it's the smart decision long-term if they could have stabilized the ship. Three hours is cancerous to everything.
>>
>>2970574
HI Vince !
>>
>>2970721
Russo guaranteed they wouldn't lose any money from it.

Guess how well that went.
>>
>>2970454

nah try again I'm nearly 30. Go back and watch later 90s WCW on the network- yes it has some good wrestling in the undercard mainly from the cruisers but the main events are always terribly booked- shit finishes, inteferences, way overbooked. Whereas WWE may have had weak stuff on the undercard in AE but the mains always delivered and that's what people remember.

And you're ignoring the mid 90s when WWE had guys like Bret and Shawn who were better wrestlers than what WCW had.
>>
>>2970738
>Russo guaranteed
Vinny Ru always working himself into a shoot.
>>
>>2970506

LEL you're utterly delusional, WCW completely wasted Bret and didn't have a clue what to do with him. FFS they actually turned him heel. Imagine gettting a huge face like Bret right after the screwjob and they try to push him as a heel. WCW would never have won no matter what. They didn't have the competance.
>>
>>2970506
Those rednecks would have never beaten New York.
>>
File: Untitled0.png (13KB, 409x442px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled0.png
13KB, 409x442px
WCW was a fucking joke from start to finish and only had two years when it wasn't the biggest joke promotion in the world, concidently when the nWo angle was at its peak. So what did WCW do? They kept using the nWo angle well beyond its shelf life because it relied on signing former WWF main eventers and couldn't create anything original - not even from the promising midcard that they had for years until they got fed up and, one by one, left WCW. What's what you say, they created Goldberg? The guy whose gimmick was simply "he never loses!" That greenhorn's push buried every actual talented worker on the roster several times over until they ran out of fodder to give him so a certain booker by the name of Mr K. Nash decided to book himself as the ender of Greenberg's streak with an awful finish. Oh yeah and WCW lost out on MILLIONS by letting Hogan pull his egomaniac creative control card and forcing the main event of a free televised Nitro to carry the first WCW HW title victory for Greenberg.

WCW was a joke promotion, it had joke bookers, it had joke writers, it had joke main eventers, it had joke original ideas, it had joke PPVs, it had joke matches, it was a joke that only c-drones, who were children during the 1990s, think needs to come back.
>>
>>2970081
Biggest mistake was having a money mark (Turner) writing blank checks just to compete in a business he really knew nothing about.

Second biggest was letting the wrestlers book and negotiate contracts for new hires. Hogan and Nash wrote themselves into the top of the card forever while also stipulating in their contracts that their pay would meet the pay of the highest paid people on the roster. And who do you think was negotiating the pay for new hires?

Third biggest was hiring Vince Russo and giving him free reign. Russo worked in WWE because Russo would have a million ideas, most of them shit, and Vince McMahon would pick the best ones. In WCW, Russo was allowed to run with all the awful shit he thought of and there was no consistency to the product at all.
>>
File: dumbass.png (13KB, 404x440px) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.png
13KB, 404x440px
>>2970820
From the January 11, 1999 issue of Wrestling Observer Newsletter

11 million people watching pro wrestling on a Monday Night and 215 observer readings smarks voted WCW worst promotion of 1998, and your dumbass actually puts stock in this.

Cringe.
>>
File: Untitled1.png (29KB, 592x557px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.png
29KB, 592x557px
>>2970860

Around a thousand people voted in that, all of them smarks who weren't children at the time. That's a very large sample for a poll. Sit down wolfcuck.
>>
>>2970866
CRINGE
>>
File: Untitled.png (11KB, 531x404px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11KB, 531x404px
>>2970872

Not an argument. Have a nice day buddy.
>>
>>2970866
215 people
Enough said.
>>
>>2970875
ABSOLUTE CRINGE
>>
>>2970860
1998 WCW being voted worst promotion of the year is such an absolute joke. I'm sure it was worse than fucking 'MUSIC CITY WRESTLING' and 'UFO'
>>
>>2970876

Out of a thousand people voting, polls normally have a lower sample than that. WCW was awful my friend.
>>
>>2970271
Agreed. Coincidentally, this was around the same time OP was born.
>>
>>2970081

Too many reasons, but to name a few: no one was really in charge most of the time, ego's like Hogan, Nash and Bischoff running out of control, bad to downright atrocious booking, an inability to create new stars, an amazing ability to destroy upcoming stars, Vince Russo, 3-4 years of the same television show with no indication of change, too much focus on short term ratings than a long term television show, missing multiple opportunities to draw money (like Hogan vs Goldberg on Nitro instead of a PPV), wasting huge amounts of money on celebrities, monster trucks, wrestlers who weren't on the show and other nonsense and finally losing 65 million dollars in one year.

Yes, the AOL/Time Warner merger played a part, but really any sane person would have pulled the plug in 2001.
>>
File: 1501190149790.png (95KB, 652x623px) Image search: [Google]
1501190149790.png
95KB, 652x623px
>>2970907
Stop acting like you know. Get out the wrestling bubble.
>>
>>2970743
Man im 42 and i hated the 80's WWF style because i was a rasslin kid so for me it was NWA/WCW all the way. In the attitude era i didnt like the over the top of WWF and i preferred to wathc the silly WCW and then nWo abused WCW, but watching Ric Flair, Sting and co. in WCW was better for me, i stopped watching american wrestling when WCW died
>>
>>2970928

And you should posting the same damn thing over and over again. Bischoff is trying to deflect the blame and nothing else. WCW killed itself in the most idiotic fashion and Bischoff is more to blame for that than AOL/Time-Warner.
>>
>>2970841
>Third biggest was hiring Vince Russo
Kek. The few months when Russo was in charge were the only ones where WCW's viewership stayed steady. Before and after Russo ratings were in freefall.
>>
>>2970967
>i stopped watching american wrestling when WCW die
What are you still doing here then?
>>
>>2970081
Well, ship was sinking in 1998. However
They could have been salvaged had someone with a fucking clue came in. However, they brought that retarded Russo in and that's what ultimately killed the company
>>
>>2970993
I look at the meme stuff and jimmy ocean bant
>>
Because they didn't push Ralphus
>>
>>2970775

Vince never had Ted's money and never will.
>>
>>2971060
Didn't need it. DubCeeDub had their own network and an unlimited bank account and still lost to Vinny. Fucking bums.
>>
>>2971073
>Unlimited bank account
Actually they got a budget which was cut when Thunder was added. They got no PPV money or TV rights money.

>own network
Which didn't want them and got rid off them when their only supporter Ted Turner lost power.
>>
>>2971084
>excuses on why Big Balls Vinny won
>>
Read the book The Death of WCW
>>
>>2970841
>Russo would have a million ideas, most of them shit, and Vince McMahon would pick the best ones.

T. Cornetty
>>
Turner loved wrestling. The second he was pushed out, they hired a guy who had a vendetta against the business (which most claimed was because he thought it was only for hicks) and he got rid of it.
>>
>>2971988
Can't handle the truth.
>>
>>2970192
>Austin comes out during someones promo
>stuns someone
>drinks some beers

EVERY FUCKING WEEK! It even stopped having a rhyme or reason at one point. Just stunning randoms because it was someone different and new.
>>
>>2972068
You aren't accurately representing the nuance and subtlety of WWF storytelling.
>>
>>2970743
I watched the entire Attitude Era, and there are like 5 memorable moments of WWE, some thanks to the aide of WWE constantly reminding us. I remember almost a dozen or more things that WCW did that were amazing, without needing to be prompted about it. That's probably why your eDrone ass thinks WWE was better at the time. RAW was the same nonsensical stupid shit every week, with no development, and no where angles. WCW only became like that once the power structure changed and those idiots in charged tried to copy WWE. The reason WCW was better because it wasn't that cookie cutter formulaic repetitive garbage that WWE always put out. It was fresh and innovative. A nice mix of every wrestling style throughout the night.
>>
>>2970841
>Russo worked in WWE because Russo would have a million ideas, most of them shit, and Vince McMahon would pick the best ones.
Please, for the love of fucking god, back this bullshit up. No idea of Russo's was ever SHOT DOWN. NOT ONCE! and no one has ever claimed otherwise, except that it was their idea instead. Vince wasn't a filter because he doesn't have a fucking clue what goes over with fans either.
>>
>>2972092
WWF was far superior. Deal with it.
>>
I liked the WCW way of doing things, matches felt huge and TV main events were usually great.

The undercard and the constant nwo runs ruined shit though. I stopped bothering with it at some point in 99.
>>
>>2972092
Based and agreed
>>
>>2972120
>I stopped bothering with it at some point in 99.
Lasted longer than me. I gave up after Bash at the Beach '98.
>>
>>2972130
I can't even remember what tipped it. Think it might've been a Nash main event and I just thought "early night", then never went back
>>
>>2972130
Seriously WCW from January 99 till june 99 was good fun, you have psicosis winning the cruiserweight title, the birth of the filthy animals, rey giant killer mini angle, scott steiner still somewhat good. based macho madness bringing big silicone boos madusa, big bolts on gorgeous george and pure molly holly, sting comeback good and motivated where he had first the spring stampede 99 4 way, good match vs flair at nitro, classic match againt ddp at nitro, rematch of the 4 way on nitro, then a bad fantasy match against goldberg at slamboree (altough it wasnt his fault it was a no contest match), ddp having some good matches, benoit and malenko tearing the house, based lil naitch.
>>
>>2970081
WCW didn't die, we see it every week during Raw
>>
>>2972134

Based secret agent Diesel working dubya see dubya into non-existance
>>
>>2972119
Superior at what? Running the same god damn show, night in and night out, all with stolen ideas and wrestlers from WCW and ECW? Guys would make their debut appearance and the next week, they were back in the mix of being fed to the top guy in the same manner as everyone else, or just be an irrelevant midcarder. You fell for the hype. YOU deal with it.
>>
>>2972214

I was 9 and I was Stampede. Good ppv.

I was watchin it on the wwe netty recently and completely forgot Sandman was in WCW
>>
>>2972218
Really? With no Bischoff/Hogan/Goldberg/Sting or even fucking Billy Kidman that ain't possible.
>>
File: Implying.jpg (12KB, 199x192px) Image search: [Google]
Implying.jpg
12KB, 199x192px
>>2970122
>Implying that's any better
>>
>>2975608
It is
>>
>>2970224

Holy shit, how can one anon be so completely wrong.
>>
>>2975597
Kidman has a producer job
>>
>>2971013
Based Jimmy drawing people to /asp/
>>
>>2970860
BTFO
>>2970866
>215 smarks from the late 90's are the same as over 10 million common, normal, non-fat people watching TV
Cringe
>>
File: 1445427756001.jpg (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1445427756001.jpg
13KB, 200x200px
>>2977272

By your "millions can't be wrong" logic, WCW sucked outside of 1996 and 1998 because their ratings began to decline again, showing millions were deserting the promotion.

Meanwhile a poll of a THOUSAND PEOPLE, none of whom were mark children at the time like wolfcuck, consistently voted WCW as the worst promotion outside of 96 and 97.
>>
>>2977283
>a poll of a THOUSAND FAT MEN wrote their opinions on some dude's newsletter, THEY CAN'T BE WRONG
>>
>>2977290

I would trust the overal opinion of a thousand smarks yes, meanwhile you're trusting the opinion of millions who eventually deserted WCW because it sucked again after just two years of being on top, so you are agreeing with me. Thanks buddy.
>>
>>2977283
>milllions are wrong, its a thousand fat smarks who's opinion really matters!
>>
>>2977303
WCW Nitro (head to head with RAW) in it's dying days drew bigger TV audience than WWE does now...
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.