[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Mystery of Roman Reigns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

File: Superstar-Roman-Reigns.png (244KB, 562x408px) Image search: [Google]
Superstar-Roman-Reigns.png
244KB, 562x408px
I've been a wrestling fan for a long freaking time but I've never seen a situation like this

>Why do people hate him so much?
>Why does WWE continue to push him so hard?
>How can the WWE not realize that the fans hate him?
>Why are legitimate stars helping to put him over?
>Will he ever go away?
>Will he eventually destroy the company?

Seriously /asp/, help me out here. I'm am old guy. Maybe you hip youngsters know more about this situation than I do. I simply don't get it. What the hell is going on with this guy?
>>
>>2965895
Can't speak for the others, but what I hate about him is that they're trying to turn him in the next undefeatable Super-Cena. I don't want one more Super-Cena, no matter who it is.

Good looks, he's pretty decent in the ring.

They do, but he still sells merch

Because WWE tells them to and that's their job

>Will he ever go away?
He will probably retire in 30 years or so

If the company destroys itself anytime soon, he will only be a very small part of that
>>
>>2965910
>They do, but he still sells merch
I don't get this part. How is he moving merch when so many people hate him? Is he more popular overseas? I've never met a single person who says "Roman Reigns? Oh yeah that guy is great!"
>>
>>2965920
You don't hear the people that cheer for Reigns? There quite a few of them. They get drowned out but they do exist.

Also, here's the unfortunate truth about Roman Reigns that I hate. There are more people that come in and cheer or boo for Reigns then there are people that cheer for anyone else in the WWE, except maybe AJ Styles and Brock Lesnar.

That in itself is the best argument on why Roman Reigns should continue to be the top guy. It's fucking Cena all over again.
>>
File: GOAT.png (467KB, 504x763px) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.png
467KB, 504x763px
Because he's being booked like the next super cena, going over fan favorites and never losing 1 on 1 matches clean.
>Why does the WWE continue to push him so hard?
They believe he will be the next big draw once Cena retires. Also cause they can't realize when a project has failed.
Vince would rather fail his way than succeed someone else's
Because he isn't actually that bad anymore, but his image will be forever tainted, also towing the company line.
>Will he ever go away?
Not likely
He won't, The McMahon family's nepotism and their shit writers will.

Roman is fine nowadays, but he is the product of a much larger problem plaguing the WWE. Pic related is who should be the next Cena.
>>
>>2965895
Everything about him from the start of push was just fucking hammed up and inorganic to the max

>Keeps Shield attire because shield was over
>Keeps Shield music because shield was over
>Keeps Shield crowd entrance because shield was over
>Blue contact lenses to make him look white-meat
>Presented as a power guy despite not being the tallest, the most muscular, or the strongest member of the shield
>Has a natural swagger that WWE tried to go against by doing the underdog babyface route
>Fucking corny ass "sufferin' soccatash", "believe that", "one vs all", "I'm not a good guy or a bad guy, I am THE guy!", "I am the big dog, this is my yard!"
>Muting crowd when they boo
>Editing crowd signs
>Fucking generic ass Spear finisher
>>
>>2965932
>Muting crowd when they boo
>Editing crowd signs
What? Mind blowing if true.
>>
>>2965929
There shouldn't be a next Cena. The roster should have a competitive and worthwhile list of top dogs, not one above everyone else.
>>
>>2965938
They don't always, but they've been caught editing crowd reactions and editing sound on videos.
>>
File: Hulkamania.png (322KB, 914x706px) Image search: [Google]
Hulkamania.png
322KB, 914x706px
>>2965942
Hasn't WWE always been about one above everyone else?
>>
>>2965938
They will straight up take signs from fans if they are for guys they don't want to push.
>>
>>2965944
Don't care. In the current age, that doesn't work anymore. Also, it wasn't true in the Attitude Era.
>>
>>2965946
What about Stone Cold?
>>
>>2965895
I don't hate him, I just hate how he's being forced to be the top guy when he's not.
Because Vince picked him and is too stubborn to admit defeat.
They do realize it, they just don't care.
Because that's what Vince wants.
>Will he ever go away?
No.
No, the company was already on the decline well before Ramen's push.
>>
File: When it Reigns it Bores.jpg (82KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
When it Reigns it Bores.jpg
82KB, 960x540px
>>2965938
>>
Cause he sucks
Harder than you can imagine
Vince is senile
Cause senile 80 years old man Vince wants to
>Will he ever go away?
Hopefully
Hope so
>>
>>2965954
AJ is t h i c c
>>
>>2965954
That's really low, but you gotta admit she was right in the center of their money shot.
>>
>>2965959
He's 71.
>>
>>2965895
Boring, bland, can barely wrestle, did nothing to earn his spot, some how actually worse than Cena in most regards.
Because Vince can never admit a mistake.
See above.
Because its that or be fired.
>Will he ever go away?
Death comes to us all in time.
He's certainly making it weaker.
>>
>>2965920
he's the face of the company, any wrestler that you push like roman is being pushed is going to sell, the question is, how much more would another wrestler pushed the same way draw
>>
The truth is that they are trying so desperately hard to make him the next Cena when he could be something even better.
The next Rock.

Rock had a similar start. As a squeaky clean babyface with no personality other than "Grinning black man" people hated the fuck out of him, they despised him as a babyface. Then a chant happened. "Die Rocky Die"

Instead of ignoring it however, or trying to play it off as "Wow, he certainly divides a crowd!" Rock addressed that shit up front, actually used it as a platform in an interview whilst joining The Nation of Domination and went full charismatic heel with it. People ate that shit up.

Roman however just smiles like a retard, shows no signs of charisma and tries to shrug off the crowd that hates him. He needs to actually go full heel and say "Y'know what? Fuck you, fuck your booing and fuck all of this shit" and just be a straight up asshole like the Rock was.
>>
>>2966041
Roman isn't a squeaky clean babyface

He's more edgy and aggressive than your typical Vince white meat babyface

He's the ultimate and real tweener in the roster
>>
>>2966041
This is pretty spot on.

>The Nation of Domination
I remember seeing the Rock at the Pepsi Arena in Albany, NY, right when he joined that group. I never heard people boo that loud. Everyone chanting Rocky sucks. I turned to my friend and said "no this guy is going to be huge these people are wrong."

I actually agree with everything you said about RR going heel. It seems like the only thing that could save his image at this point
>>
>>2966041
This. They also missed a trick with the other shield members. Ambrose could have been a Stone Cold character but they turned him too goofy and Rollins a "The Game" HHH but they didn't make him strong or badass enough.
>>
>>2965951
What about The Rock and Triple H?
>>
>>2965895
Personally:
I don't like him because he's bland and about as uninteresting as a guy can get. I watch wrestling to be entertained, in the ring and out. Roman can put on good matches with good opponents but he's boring as fuck and his moveset sucks. Don't care too much about WHY he's being booked like he is, but I'll admit he's overexposed and I'm tired of seeing his boring ass in the main event.
Vince likes him, kids like him, parents buy his merch. Any of those is a good reason in Vince's mind to push someone to the moon.
For the most part I think they do, though if some reports are to be believed, Vince and/or execs have deluded themselves into thinking that Bryan or the Shield or whatever has turned people against him, and they refuse to believe that people genuinely find him uninteresting or bad. Whatever it is, at the end of the day, they don't care. They'll keep trying different ways to get him over. In their eyes, if he can get to the point where he's as polarizing as Cena with reactions as big, they've won.
They're told to. In the WWE you do business or you pay the price. And I'm sure that many would genuinely stick up for him because they see the way the fans act as unfair and unwarranted.
>Will he ever go away?
Probably not.
Not really. Even if the massive shift we think is coming actually comes, Roman's just one part of it. The smarks and "hardcore fanbase" are leaving, it's true, but it'll take a couple more years of this direction to finally drive them all away, and in that time WWE will probably double down on the Indian and Chinese markets, as well as the family friendly programming to make up for the loss. WWE will survive, one way or another. If you think otherwise you're delusional.
>>
>>2966049
>"HOW ABOUT YOU SHUT UP!"
He's fucking trash m8
>>
File: romanetty.png (1MB, 1269x941px) Image search: [Google]
romanetty.png
1MB, 1269x941px
>>2965938
>>
>>2966041

I see what your saying but there's a component missing here.

The Rock was significantly more charismatic and WAY better on the mic then Roman. Roman should have been Goldberg or Brock Lesnar reborn, just simply unstoppable, a force of nature that just looks and acts like a badass constantly.

Try put the numbers against him and watch him just wreck everyone's shit. Have him pick up the belt and walk off.
>>
>>2965895
>I've been a wrestling fan for a long freaking time but I've never seen a situation like this

literally John cena from 07-12

you know, when you were in kindergarten
>>
>>2966177
Seth and Dean
>>
>>2966177
and Kane and Taker and Angle

The Attitude Era is proof having a lot of top guys works better then one top guy.
>>
>>2965895

>>Why do people hate him so much?

Company wants to have another Cena but fans don't wanna put up with it

>>Why does WWE continue to push him so hard?

See above.

>>How can the WWE not realize that the fans hate him?

They do. They think they can fix it by trying everything except turning him heel for some reason.

>>Why are legitimate stars helping to put him over?

Because it's their job.

>>Will he ever go away?

Unless the WWE actually loses real money or he fucks himself over probably not.

>>Will he eventually destroy the company?

Probably not.

WWE had more than a few chances to fix this, but they fucked up every time.
>>
>>2966041
I thought for sure on the Raw after Wrestlemania, when Roman addressed the boo that it was a change in his character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8s6PZ1Iwp4
One simple (and admittedly cheesy) line and that was it. I was sure he was going to do a heel turn and play it like he really doesn't give a fuck anymore about the public. Roman would have rebelled against the entire company, the staff and the fans included, and do his own thing which would have been to knock out every champions as a huge fuck you to everyone. To push further his (kinda stupid) gimmick : if Roman was a dog to the show, he could have broke his leash and go wild.

But the writers can't do anything right and instead they made him try to run over Strauman with an ambulance truck. Surely that will put him over.
>>
>>2966331
The thing about Cena being hated was that it was mostly a work. The fans still respected him and he would always get cheered at house shows. Roman is almost universally hated and booed by everyone except women that want to fuck him and children.
>>
>>2965920
He has tons of different forms of merch, more than anybody else. Just on volume, he's gonna sell the most.
>>
>>2966673
>But the writers can't do anything right and instead they made him try to run over Strauman with an ambulance truck. Surely that will put him over.
That angle was fucking awesome.

Roman losing the match for himself, then snapping and attacking Braun, then driving the ambulance off. There's this shot of him staring into the mirror of the ambulance and you can see him realizing that what he's about to do is very, very bad and it's a point of no return for him. And then he does it anyway and stumbles off.

But the next night on Raw, he comes out and mumbles some shit about the Attitude Era and next week, Braun is back, no worse for the wear. Nobody's character has changed. Nobody has evolved. It's just another fucking thing that happened.

Cowardly writing at its worst.
>>
>>2965895
Simple really, he gets forced down people's throats and he was never ready to carry the company when they chose to push him all the way to Mars.

Honestly he has a good look and as of now he isn't too bad in the ring. But honestly, it's a total mystery at this point.

They know we hate him, but in their heads they think that makes him the next Cena because he got booed. Only difference is Cena was always pretty competent and he had undeniable charisma.

Because they have bills to pay?

>>Will he ever go away?
Everyone dies eventually

Can't blame him, blame the abysmal booking.
>>
Ask yourself this: what reason would anybody have to cheer Reigns besides "Michael Cole says he's the good guy"?

>>2965927
>the best argument for Reigns to be top babyface is that more people boo him

>>2965963
>supporting corporate revisionist history

GTFO

>>2966041
Difference is Rock turned heel after less than a year into a failed babyface run

At the time where Rock was where Reigns is now, he was shooting The Mummy Returns.
>>
>>2966782
No he doesnt. There are a bunch of people on the roster with more merchandise than him, and Reigns has only gotten one new shirt in about a year now.
>>
>>2965895
One, any Anoai that main events will always have the stink of nepotism on them, and two, the gap between how good he is and how hard they're pushing him is too vast.
Because he was massive in India for some reason, and because it doesn't matter who they push because they're too big to fail.
They do, they just don't care.
Because they're paid a fortune to. Lots of people ask wrestlers from Hulk Hogan's era why they laid down for a legdrop; they answer with the money they got paid why wouldn't you lay down for a legdrop.
>Will he ever go away?
Probably not.
Too big to fail.
>>
>>2965895
Because he's a smarmy douchebag AND a shit wrestler AND he can't cut a promo to save his life. You can be good at one of these things and get a pass, but he fails on all three counts.
Vince McMahon is insane. He gets mad at himself for sneezing.
Everyone in the WWE knows exactly what is going on.
Because they value their jobs and prefer to look at the bigger picture.
>>Will he ever go away?
Yes. This next year's Wrestlemania will be the end of the big Roman push. He will have been around long enough by then that he will have gone through the typical top babyface cycle.
No, WWE can coast for a decade or longer before shutting down. But he may cause WWE to become more of a TNA-esque company that tapes several shows in the same place instead of being live every week. Like they are already doing with NXT.
>>
>>2966049
No. That's Braun Strowman and Brock Lesnar.

Reigns is a cheesy pseudo heel constantly being put over as a babyface.
>>
>>2965895
>fans hate him
yet he's may fav current star

you're a moron
>>
>>2965895
Fans manly (hardcore and smarks) hate and will reject the status quo, it's why fans are so fast to turn on the people they want pushed.

Because there's nobody else that could be in his spot.

It's probably just a mixture of resentment for his big push and the vocal minority making themselves heard.

>Will he ever go away?
Probably not considering that he's the most profitable full time guy they have right now.
>>
>>2966777
Fuck that. I hated Cena because of how big a superman he was. Dude didn't lose clean for nearly a decade. (Distractions aren't clean losses)
>>

He's not our guy and I don't even mean asp's. They need to let the audience choose. We don't want a rerun of the cena era but with a less talented guy

Vince doesn't want to be wrong

>>How can the WWE not realize that the fans hate
him?

They do. They even use it as heat regularly, take the RR as an example

They have to. It's their job

>>Will he ever go away?

No, but he may get injured eventually or go slightly down the card if vince dies

No, Vince could though. With the wwe network their model has changed so much that it'll be even harder for them to go down
>>
>>2967990
To be fair, they cannibalize their own talents ability to get over on a regular basis
>>
He has some elite ten year contract just like cena, rock and Austin did, they're gonna have to push him no matter what.
>>
>>2970006
>With the wwe network their model has changed so much that it'll be even harder for them to go down

It's actually the opposite

>>2969073
>Dude didn't lose clean for nearly a decade.

The longest gap in clean losses for Cena wasn't even 3 years.

>>2967990
>it's why fans are so fast to turn on the people they want pushed.

Punk
Bryan
Styles
>>
>>2970107
>it's why fans are so fast to turn on the people they want pushed.
>Ambrose
>Mysterio
>Ziggler
>Rollins
>Wyatt
>>
>>2970248
context pls
>>
>>2965920
he's essentially the main character of WWE nowadays. People are going to like him, most of the Indians wanna root him
>>
>>2970278
>Mysterio
I don't know about the others, but I hated as a teen the fact that a cruiseweight was the world champion, smiled when Angle destroyed him in that Smackdown Royal Rumble, and the whole "I'm your papa" thing with Guerrero was one of the cringiest moment I've ever seen.
>>
>>2970379
>but I hated as a teen the fact that a cruiseweight was the world champion, smiled when Angle destroyed him in that Smackdown Royal Rumble

edgy
>>
>>2965895
retired the undertaker
no real good alternatives
He's gettign a reaction and that's good
Who?
>>Will he ever go away?
maybe
nah
>>
>>2965895
He has the look and is good in ring but has absolutely no charisma and isn't good on the mic. He also is constantly booked as an "underdog" who "overcomes the odds" despite looking like a monster based on his size and never losing clean. He's just suffered from terrible booking, storylines and overall character development.
>>
>>2965895
bad finishers performed badly.

if you're going to be a top guy your finisher should be like a choke slam or the crippler crossface, infact he should just take the crippler crossface and be a heel.
>>
>>2970549
>retired the undertaker
People hated Reigns long before he retired the Undertaker.

>no real good alternatives
There are PLENTY of alternatives to Roman. Styles, Rollins, Braun, Joe, Balor...

>getting a reaction and that's good
No. It's not. He is supposed to be getting cheered the way Stone Cold or The Rock or Hogan got cheered. If the top guy is not getting cheered, he isn't doing his job and the booker is not doing his job. This is like saying "it's ok that heels get cheered because they're getting a reaction".
>>
>>2965895
Only smarks do. They're still bitter than he won the 2015 royal rumble instead of bryanetty

because he's a GOAT-tier star

Because they don't. Only smarks. "Let's go roman, roman sucks" chants are pretty common in less smarky cities

Because they realise he is a future GOAT

>Will he ever go away?
For the sake of WWE, I hope not

Quite the opposite, he will save it if only vince can end the idiotic indie experiment he has going on right now
>>
>>2970827
Styles is on Smackdown, Rollins has been pretty shit lately, Braun is cringe on the mic, Joe is awful, Balor lost all his momentum.
>>
>>2965895
Right before him they did the Bryan angle, focusing on how he didn't have the size or look that The Authority/WWE wanted but how the fans got behind him anyway. This led to Bryan getting the Wrestlemania main event through sheer fan pressure, forcing them to nix their Bray/Bryan feud which was their original plan.

Right after this, Reigns shows up as a singles wrestler. He has the exact look and size that The Authority/WWE like (yet for some reason in kayfabe, they pick the smaller, indie talent Seth Rollins instead) and starts falling over number one contendership matches and main event slots despite supposedly being 'hated' by the people in charge.

After the Bryan story which felt more genuine as he was actually struggling against the business to succeed, Roman's rise has been more transparent in that it's though corporate interest rather than through fan response. Of course, there's always been that aspect to the business but after having that taste of being able to influence events, the fans dislike having to return to sitting back and be told who to cheer for.
>>
Because he's being pushed as the next Super-Cena and that sucks. Honestly I quiet enjoy his matches, I jst don't wanna see him constantly killing everyone else.

Money Money Money. Monnneyyyy

They do but he brings in the sheckles.

Its their job.

>Will he ever go away?
Sadly not.

Na. Ridiculous creative will. Don't matter who you put on top, when you've got shit stories/results on a weekly basis people will continue to leave and hate your show.
>>
>>2965895
Over pushed as The Guy, fans reacted against it, WWE reacted by pushing him harder, fans rejected him harder, and it continued in a viscous circle for like 2 years straight.
Vince's stubborn attitude. Nobody in creative dares even suggest turning Roman heel.
They do. They tell themselves that a top babyface getting booed is a good thing and that people buy tickets to boo the guy.
It's their job, and they probably like and respect the guy. Roman himself hasn't done anything wrong.
>>Will he ever go away?
Probably. He didn't come up as a wrestling fan, and has kids. Once he's made enough money and then some, he'll probably call it quits and move onto something else or just straight up retire.
No, but Vince and co could manage that.
>>
>>2965895

Timing, booking and being downright stubborn. Reigns came up as the next big thing when fan favorites CM Punk and Daniel Bryant left, and Vince kept pushing him because he saw something great in him. Unfortunately for Reigns the people never really bought him because of terrible scripting and obnoxious booking him like a next Rock of Cena. He never got to be his own man, and that's hurting him. A shame, because I kinda like his work - though I hate the superman punch.

Reigns won't kill WWE, Vince however might, for being downright stubborn on the most idiotic things.
>>
>>2965895
He's brown.
>>
>>2965895
I ironically want him to succeed because he makes yards seethe. I seriously don't like him but the rage he causes amuses me.
>>
>>2966330
Brock's one liners are a thousand times better than anything Roman has said in his life, though. Maybe getting him a manager would help one way or another
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.