[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into NJPW. Where should I start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: ogp.jpg (87KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
ogp.jpg
87KB, 1200x630px
I want to get into NJPW. Where should I start?
>>
File: DCBdlp0UIAEhsuw.jpg (74KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
DCBdlp0UIAEhsuw.jpg
74KB, 600x400px
>>2964770
Watch Wrestle Kingdom 11.
>>
>>2964788
So, a quick google search tells me that event was held in January. Isn't that a bit old for someone to watch now? And if I do start there and enjoy it, where do I go after? What shows are they running currently and how do I watch them? I'm guessing XWT has all this stuff?
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (115KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
115KB, 1920x1080px
>>2964770
Start with Wrestle Kingdom 2

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-gmaXqhTcYlY1hXQk5XTnZkU3c/edit

Good ass show with Christian, Kurt Angle, and Nakamura as the stoic badass
>>
The G1 going on now is probably a good starting point and if you want to back to watch stuff from WK onwards that'd be good

>>2964854
I'm sure he's getting into NJPW to watch decade old stuff
>>
Start with WK11, also so you don't fee lost here' a quick rundown of the wrestlers, and factions involved in the event:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/790141-a-beginners-guide-to-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-11-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-wrestlers-matches-championships-stories

It sounds weird, but try to watch the event in Japanese, the english commentary team is not that great, but you'll get the gist of things real quick.
>>
>>2964854
Ahhh the TNA partner show from New Japan. So weird watching this show now.

You had AJ on the first match and boring ass Nakamura was in the main event
>>
>>2964820
The G1 is going atm but if you are new is a bit of a overkill. Start with Wrestle Kingdom 11. It's still the best show of the year.
>>
>>>/jp/
>>
>>2964878
Even if the English team is JBL/Otunga levels of bad, how would watching in japanese be better? I'd have no idea of what they're saying.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions btw. I'll watch WK11 as soon as possible and then go from there.
>>
I started watching with Dominion back in June and got the hang of things pretty quickly. Don't go as far back as Wrestle Kingdom right now, only watch that when you're ready to and you want to.

I'd just start with the G1 right now, all of the top guys are in it, it's a great way to get introduced to everybody and it's KINDA like the Royal Rumble in that the final winner gets to the challenge for the top championship in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom next January.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's a lull immediately after the G1 because everybody just went balls out having their best matches of the year and they need to phone it in a bit to heal up before it's time to get ready for Wrestle Kingdom. So, for now, watch the G1. Then afterwards, go back and watch stuff like Wrestle Kingdom, Best of Super Juniors, Dominion, and the G1 Special in Long Beach, which was their show in the USA.

>>2964943
It's very easy to watch in Japanese, you'll be able to follow anyway and the Japanese commentators get SO into the matches, it definitely adds something to it. Having said that, the English commentary will get you acquainted with who everybody is a little better. I'd say try both, maybe lean towards the English a bit until you know people, then just go with whichever you like more.
>>
>>2964770
Watch the last two Wrestle Kingdoms.
>>
File: 1488513467674.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1488513467674.gif
1MB, 320x240px
Just watch the next G1. It's easy to digest. Like 2 or 3 shows in and you'll be familiar with mot of the roster.

Enjoy god-tier pro wrestling
>>
>>2964950
For the Heavyweights there's still 2 big shows before Wrestle Kingdom: King of Pro-Wrestling and Power Struggle. Also their Destruction shows and pretty good' they usually have a couple of those. So watch out for them, especially King of Pro-Wrestling. Then there's NJPW/ROH Global Wars which will probably be good. Omega is going to be on that show. And he'll likely either make his first US Title defense there or at King of Pro-Wrestling.
>>
>>2964770
This year has been pretty good, but you should start at the very beginning.
>>
>>2966183
Yeah I did hear about KoPW.

I just remember hearing a couple times that guys go balls out in G1 then the bill for that comes in the Fall, usually.
>>
What do people generally think are the best ten G1 matches so far? I watched Ibushi vs Naito (great), Okada vs Elgin (great), Ibushi vs ZSJ (good), Suzuki vs Omega (decent), Tanahashi vs ZSJ (decent), and Omega vs Elgin (sucked).
>>
>>2966350
I don't know how you can like the first two matches but not omega vs elgin. all three were epic movezfests but omega/elgin was crazy. they were dropping each other on their head like it's ajpw 90s. everyone was freaking out when nakameme dropped cena on his head because cena can't rotate. but omega and elgin had at least 5 spots like that where it was done purposefully.
>>
>>2964770
Another bro jumping ship from the e-drone cult to join based new chadpan...BASED
>>
Until they have an English speaking show or atleast live subtitles they will never make it big in America. Autistic fans that watch just for the wrestling are a minority
>>
>>2964770
You should start at http://synchtube.ru/r/cozytube here tonight during NJPW G1 27 Day 15 when it begins at 12am PST - 3am EST :D
>>
>>2966368
They have that right now. It's on AXS and it's commentated by JR and some other guy.
>>
>>2966404
Wrestlers don't speak it though
>>
>>2966368
Fuck America
>>
>>2966360
I just finished watching Omega v Elgin a couple minutes ago I'm surprised they got out of that match without any permanent damage. That double underhook piledriver Omega gave Elgin was brutal af, and Elgin suplexed Omega right on his neck twice in a row.

Also, OP, for the past three G1 Climaxes, there's a Youtube channel called TWitWoW that does real-time English commentary for all the shows. They're actually really good for being just a couple of fans. I put it on in the background and sync it up with the NJPW stream. For this year's Climax they're skipping the tag matches, but they do all the Block matches.
>>
>>2966360

Ibushi vs Naito had the story where Naito thinks Ibushi doesn't belong in a NJPW ring bleeds into the match, Naito being a glorious asshole and viciously attacking Ibushi's neck, great selling that emphasized the action and it let stuff breathe a bit. Ibushi looked great doing his stuff while selling Naito's shit. It had focus I thought Omega/Elgin didn't have and it didn't get anywhere near as excessive. Spots where someone gets dropped on their head or neck itself doesn't make a match good.
>>
>>2964770
By recognising the Nanking massacre you fucking gook.
>>
>>2964820
G1 Climax Finals are this weekend iirc
>>
>>2966368
>live subtitles
>>
>>2964950
>Unless I'm mistaken, there's a lull immediately after the G1 because everybody just went balls out having their best matches of the year and they need to phone it in a bit to heal up before it's time to get ready for Wrestle Kingdom.

You are mistaken: the Destruction tour is next month and Wrestle Kingdom isn't for nearly another 5.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.