[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the greatest gimmick in wrestling history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: sting.png (3MB, 1280x1828px) Image search: [Google]
sting.png
3MB, 1280x1828px
What is the greatest gimmick in wrestling history?
>>
>>2942714
TL Hopper
>>
Mantaur
>>
>>2942714
certainly not STINK
>>
>>2942714
YOU CAN'T HAVE FUN WITHOUT SAMI, MAGGLE
>>
A case could be made for The Undertaker, Sting, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, and Mr. McMahon.

I'm talking actual gimmicks here. People like Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair don't count because they weren't particularly whacky or flamboyant enough to be actual gimmicks. Those names are more for greatest wrestlers in wrestling history.

My personal choice would be The Undertaker, simply because it never really got stale and in the ridiculous world of 1990's WWF, it remained relevant and didn't get so old it died a painful death. A close second though would have to be Sting, simply for the notoriety of the drastic change from happy-go-lucky babyface to dark, ominous figure with no true allegiance that also never got very old (Joker Sting not included.)
>>
File: 1498919598927.jpg (147KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1498919598927.jpg
147KB, 375x500px
Dr. Fucking Cube
>>
>>2942832
>that also never got very old
crow gimmick arguably ended once he started talking again and definitely ended once he joined the wolfpack
>>
File: basedvillman.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
basedvillman.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>
Crow Sting
Roman Reigns 'The Guy'
Hollywood Hogan/Rock
Disco Inferno
Heel Bret Hart
>>
>>2942714
Tiger Mask
>>
Ric Flair or Mr McMahon.
>>
>>2942714
Nah but it was definitely the cringiest
>>
As far as characters go, I think Taker and Macho were top tier. Crow Sting was great even if it was piggybacking off Taker, but only for a couple of years before it fell victim to awful WCW booking and then TNA.
Just watched the Cream of the Crop promo for the first time in a few years, and remembered just how great it was to see characters like that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q
>>
>>2942832
It's definitely The Million Dollar Man (can't use Mr. McMahon because it's just a different version of the Million Dollar Man gimmick)

Undertaker is great, fun gimmick, but a lot of it's success is owed to Mark and how good he is. You can't give The Undertaker gimmick to, say, Ed Leslie and expect it to work. So I would say Million Dollar Man is the greatest gimmick because anybody, from Hornswaggle to The Great Khali could have used it and gotten over huge.

Runner-Up: A fucking faggot (golddust, ric flair, gorgeous george)
>>
>>2943359
Macho Man isn't a ''gimmick'' or even a character, it's his legit personality.
>>
>>2943359
Amazing that he didn't really say anything except he's pissed at Jack Tunney but managed to give a more engaging and entertaining promo than anything I've seen lately.
>>
>>2942714
CM Punk
>>
>>2943369
Was he just once in a lifetime or can we blame the business being taken over by marks for how bland everything is these days? Maybe it's just the company stifling creativity.
>>
>>2943373
He's once in ten lifetimes. Who the fuck is ever going to be a professional baseball player raised by an outlaw wrestling promoter father-slash-carnie who transitions into professional wrestling and becomes a pop culture icon because of his bizarre way of speaking and sheer force of will? It's fucking ridiculous The Macho Man ever existed in the first place.
>>
>>2943373
Rock was just as engaging but in a different way. There have been others since then that just had amazing personalities turned way up. It's a combination of micromanagement, shit writing, and lackluster talent in today's WWE.
>>
>>2943378
>Rock was just as engaging
no way.
>>
>>2943382
You could argue it was the right character for the time, but Rock's promos back in the day were pure gold. He could work a crowd or a home audience like no one else. I never found him as interesting as someone like Macho because he wasn't flamboyant, screwy, or intense like Savage, but he was over the top and engaging.
>>
Before Dean went shit,Jon Moxley.
>>
>>2942714
>>
File: flair.jpg (132KB, 800x638px) Image search: [Google]
flair.jpg
132KB, 800x638px
No question. This gimmick is essentially synonymous with pro wrestling.
>>
File: cero_lego.gif (2MB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
cero_lego.gif
2MB, 200x170px
>>
What's your favourite Macho Man look? I like his early WWF look the best I think. Was never a massive fan of his cowboy hats.

Oh and wrestling needs more cocaine.
>>
>>2943700

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBM6VVlCeYw
>>
>>2943777
>cleopatra is black
WE
>>
File: HulkHogan016_9421.jpg (29KB, 288x361px) Image search: [Google]
HulkHogan016_9421.jpg
29KB, 288x361px
it's the real american and don't even try to deny it, Brother
>>
>>2943527
As the big bad booty daddy would say. Nature boy #2
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.