[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grappling General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: minowakimura.gif (790KB, 245x160px) Image search: [Google]
minowakimura.gif
790KB, 245x160px
I want to take up some form of grappling but can't stand BJJ and the culture that surrounds it.

I've been obsessed with Catch wrestling for a while: the excitement, the brutality, the aggressiveness, the what the fuckness of some of the moves. Unfortunately nowhere really exists that teaches it in the UK and it's a dying art.

So what current grappling art is most similar? 10th Planet despite being BJJ based? Freestyle Wrestling? Sambo? What grappling is there that isn't just lying on your back and calling everyone 'bro'?

Any ideas are welcome.
>>
File: Billy_Robinson_Sakuraba2.jpg (53KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Billy_Robinson_Sakuraba2.jpg
53KB, 500x375px
>>2892446
Catch wrestling is an art form and Billy Robinson is one of the greats to have mastered it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ0hQAk_xnA
>>
>>2892446
>Unfortunately nowhere really exists that teaches it in the UK

http://www.snakepitwigan.com/
>>
>>2892470
Of course there's the snake pit but the website looks like it hasn't been updated and also I live nowhere near Wigan.
>>
>>2892453
Indeed. Saku was arguably his best student, too.
>>
>>2892446
>nowhere in the UK
No way, I have a hard time believing Catch has died this much
>>
>>2892932
it has unfortunately
>>
>Thanks for your input, it was really interesting as I've never thought of Judo in regards to this.

>A gym near me (London Shootfighters) has a class that's just vaguely called 'Submission Wrestling', so I might give that a shot since I think they offer free first time lessons.

>Trouble is with a lot of these places they cater to casual UFC fans who want to 'roll' after work, which is a vibe I'm not really into.

What did you mean by this last paragraph? I understand mma and combat sports in general attracts a lot of meatheads and casuals who will spazz out on the mats along with generally undesirble characters, but I work full time and so the only time I can train is by fitting it in before or after work. Just training in my off days isn't enough.

Could you describe what you meant by this kind of 'vibe'? also Im here from the heem thread. also have this video. the channel is good and it relates to catch.

http://youtu.be/73WAFrzDTMA
>>
I bet you actually don't know anything whatsoever about "BJJ culture"
>>
>>2893493
Its douchebag dude bros wearing out TAPOUT shirts. BJJfags are the frat boys of martial art. loud and obnoxious
>>
>>2893516
How long have you trained?
>>
>>2893493
Do BJJers acknowledge catch wrestling's role in the creation of BJJ/Gracie JJ?
>>
>>2893521
I've done japanese jujitsu on and off for the last 5 years
>>
File: suki nage karate machida.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
suki nage karate machida.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>2892446
BJJ is more then just laying on their back

If you look at the current meta of MMA, submissions from guard are at an all time low. Its just because people's submission defense at the top of the leagues tend to be decent enough to survive submissions from guard

The 2 most common subs are the RNC and guillotine. Most grapplers wither they're BJJ or wrestling look to get the back and then hit the choke.

Half guard is probably the most in guard right now and it use find in all major grappling styles.

If you're n the UK you guys have a LOT of good judo schools try that out. But you should shit on BJJ its still a good style
>>
>>2893525

So you know virtually nothing about actual BJJ culture other than the fact that you've met a few assholes who train.

As if there aren't assholes who do every martial art
>>
Krav Maga aka Jew Jitsu
>>
File: hip throw.webm (683KB, 568x306px) Image search: [Google]
hip throw.webm
683KB, 568x306px
>>
>>2893524
bjj, like MMA, is a sport not a martial art. And people who are good at bjj look at gracie jiujitsu has antiquated nonsense that hasn't been relevant for 30 years
terrible family, big time scammers.
>be bad at judo
>start your own school
>make yourself the grand master of it
>>
Every bjj school in my area tries to rape your wallet charging over $100 a month. No one tries to give you a break, they love money more than the art
>>
>>2895263
rent is expensive, especially for things that require so much square footage of space. The margins on martial arts are donk, that's why belt factories exist. They were born of good intentions, the need to make sacrifices in quality or value to ensure they could stay in business.
I have 15-20 students and I pay zero rent, we charge $50 a month and I have to tell you..it's not enough. we aren't making anything
>>
>>2892446
I would say judo, alot of the old school black belts where competing when it basically was catch wrestling with a gi (before Olympics)
>>
>>2893516
That is the exact opposite here in NZ.
The bjjers are usually above 25.
>>
>>2895215
>Hip thow
>Shows leg reap.
>>
Not a fan of 10th Planet but choose your own path my man. How's your ground game?
>>
>>2893479
Thanks for the link, looks quite interesting.

I basically meant that a lot of these gyms cater to city boys and the like, so their prices are often really high and they have this corporate kind of atmosphere.
>>
>>2895484
Non-existant. I haven't trained in years but now I'm in a financial situation where I can actually start again instead of torrenting instructional DVDs.
>>
My choices are basically submission wrestling at London Shootfighters or moving to Nippon and training at UWF Snake Pit Tokyo.
>>
>>2896081
London Shootfighters are pretty neat, I just signed up with them because I live 10 minutes away and it doesn't feel corporate at all, granted I've not tried a lot of their classes so I can't vouch for it.
>>
>>2896198
nice one man. Do you know anything about the syllabus for their submission wrestling and what differentiates it from their no-gi bjj?
>>
>>2896234
I've talked to a guy who said the submission wrestling classes were good shit, but I've watched the no-gi bjj transpire and it was looking very tame with only a few geezers taking turns practicing the same hold for a quarter of an hour. I don't know much about what you actually learn there, best to pop in and ask a member of staff, they're all chatty and know all the nooks and crannies.
>>
so what is a good price for a grappling martial art membership/mma membership?
>>
>>2896656
Thanks for the info lad. I'll shoot them an email or something.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.