[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why WWE is failing to draw casual viewers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: DDnGRakXsAA7zBu.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DDnGRakXsAA7zBu.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
I feel the reason WWE doesn't draw casual viewers anymore like they did during the Attitude Era is because they are behind the times in terms of the style of media they are presenting.

Back in the late 90's to 2000's, reality t.v. and soap operas were the most-watched shows on television. WWE rode that popularity by presenting a semi-realistic, shocking, serialized product. Nowadays, reality t.v. is becoming more niche and soap operas are being critiqued as "stale, repetitious, and too reliant on senseless drama and weak plot twists."

The most popular products today are shows like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Breaking Bad. These shows don't present themselves as reality, but are heavily produced and deal with fantastical themes, conflict between factions, massive long-term storytelling, anti-heros, and sometimes even the death of beloved characters.

The public's preference on the style of television media they consume has changed drastically and WWE have refused to adapt. If they do not change, they will continue to be viewed as "old-fashioned" and "stupid" and stay ignored by the public until they eventually collapse and are forgotten.

What are your thoughts? Am I wrong? Am I a faggot?
This is something I've considered for a while and would love to get feedback on.
>>
>reel in all the viewers in the attitude era
>go pg/corporate and take the fun out of your program
>wonder why the ratings get lower and lower each year
Vince did this to himself.
>>
WWE needs a massive facelift in their presentation but Vince being 70 years old gives me little hope that he's not too stubborn to change it.

IMO they have to get away from this crackhead 'everything changes at a moments notice!' Crap. Like you said, GoT is the most popular show today and it's not full of crazy plot holes and it builds its stories over time. But when I watch WWE, nothing ever matters long term and it makes you not want to invest in the stories. For example Finn Balor got his shoulder broken by Rollins and got stripped of the title. When Balor comes back, now he's tag teaming with Rollins and they're friends? And Balor doesn't get a title rematch? It's just like...Vince and whoever else thinks the audience doesn't remember anything at all. And it really hurts their storytelling.
>>
WWE right now is exactly what WCW was starting to become after the AOL Time Warner merger, a corporate politically correct product done by people who know nothing about, well pretty much anything.

The only reason WCW failed earlier is that it was owned by Time Warner, hence once they decided to pull the plug, it was done.
WWE is still owned by Vince who swallows the corporate crap, but doesn't shut down the whole thing. Regardless, it's unfixable. It'd have to leave the stock market so that is no longer hostage of investors.
>>
>>2820506
Spot on, there is absolutely nobody on Raw OR Smackdown, that anybody can relate to.
>>
>>2820536
>It'd have to leave the stock market so that is no longer hostage of investors.
This combined with sponsorship income being lower for Wrestling than the ratings merit makes me think WWE are just stuck between a rock and a hard place.
>>
It's not as easy to do this kinda stuff with wrestling as it is with TV shows. There's always that danger of injury (Daniel Bryan and Balor being two significant ones in recent years) and things potentially not being over which would make long term investment pointless. Pro wrestling has factually been proven to have the poorest audience when compared to similar peers like MMA or boxing. That, and how people start immediately bitching about storylines before they even get off are kinda like other indicators to the higher ups that long term in-depth storytelling might not work to keep their audience's attention.
>>
>>2820506
Ya see the problem is that the fed is making an absolute fuck ton of money. Ratings and attendance are down but why care when you're making money hand over fist? Now eventually the USA deal is gonna fall through but until then they're still gonna be making big boookoo money with the USA deal and sponsorships with mega corporations. So nothing changes until the pockets books are felt.
>>
>>2820676
Maybe there wouldn't be so much danger of injuriy if they push big muscular guys and not overexploite them with a 300 days workrate. A skinny manlet working the entire year is going to break, it's simple logic.
>>
they need SOLID STORYTELLING with consistent characters, full character arcs and good cliffhangers.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.