[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial Arts Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: Bruce_Lee_1973.jpg (11KB, 220x294px) Image search: [Google]
Bruce_Lee_1973.jpg
11KB, 220x294px
Cross posted bc you can;t trust /b/. I need help deciding on a discipline of martial arts to follow / an institution to study at.

Option #1 is an ATA school where they offer TKD and Krav Maga classes.
>Pros: I'm already a blue belt in TKD, Krav Maga is dope af.
>Cons: TKD is shit tier when it comes to street self defense. ATA is a lot more focused on kids.

Option #2 offers Wing Chun Kung Fu (think Bruce Lee) and both styles of Tai Chi, plus Qigong classes.
>Pros: What's good for Bruce is good for me. Plus the spiritual aspect of Tai Chi/Qigong is fun I guess.
>Cons: Tai Chi offers less than TKD for practical use. Wing Chun is up there but I still place Krav Maga higher.

Thoughts? Opinions? Call a fag out for something? I'm open.
>>
>>2812200
>>Pros: What's good for Bruce is good for me
Don't be an idiot. Find what works for you and keep it, discard what doesn't. Bruce incorporated a lot of boxing in his style. You should probably give kyokushin a try.
Also, you're a fag.
>>
>>2812208
you're a fag
[spoiler]try BJJ[/spoiler]
>>
>>2812200
You've literally only posted bad choices

Tkd will only teach you kicks and how to fight against other people who kick. Krab magoo will give you a false sense of your own ability and a pretentious 2deadly4u attitude. Wing chun is such a joke that Bruce Lee abandoned it even though he's the only person wing chun fags ever tall about.

Boxing/mauy thai/sanda/kickboxing + bjj/judo/wrestling/sambo
>>
File: bjj on the streets.gif (2MB, 232x116px) Image search: [Google]
bjj on the streets.gif
2MB, 232x116px
>>2812200
Why do you want to train a martial art?

You mentioned self defence and the street, so I would have to say both of the options you described are bad.

For starters, you have to discard a mcdojo.

Here:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/McDojo
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

It doesn't matter what school or style you pick, if you join into a mcdojo, you're not going to learn something worth a shit. So, check out which of the schools you named are the closer to be a legit place: sparring against resistant opponents (full contact preferred), mild to intense conditioning, and application of techniques in sparring. Katas aren't bad, but you need to learn what those movement mean and not just repeat them as if they were some kind of dancing routine.

That's usually the problem with krav maga and kung fu places. More often than not, those places train techniques in highly specific scenarios, and follow specific patterns (now your opponent will try to kick your crotch, then you'll kick him here, then he'll throw a punch, which you will block like this... no, open your palm... yeah, now...), which can't be translated into the street (you were supposed to punch me!), and even worse, many katas have been modified to the point you don't get why you're doing this or that. And sometimes, it just doesn't work at all, and that's why Bruce Lee drop wing chun completely and started a new philosophical approach to martial arts, jet kune do, and basically fathered mixed martial arts.

Last ward: /asp/ loves to wank over bjj, and while that's not bad on its own, it is if you are looking for self defence. I will say it once, and very clear: brazilian ju jitsu is shit at the street, just don't. You want to go pro and jump into the ring? Train BJJ as crazy. You want to handle a thug and their friends? Try BJJ and you will end like gif related.

For the streets, I would suggest traditional old plain boxing, or even judo. Leave BJJ for the ring.
>>
>>2812522
You've never been in a fight and don't know shit. Judo or boxing won't help you beat up a gang of people. In fact, nothing will but maybe you should train to fight off of your back for those times when your YMCA judo class doesn't teach you the ins and outs of combat. I fucking won a judo tournament off of wrestling for a year. The competition level is embarrassing outside of the olympics. Just wrestle and do BJJ if you want to win a fight.
>>
>>2814794
>In fact, nothing will
You just train by fighting against multiple opponents, faggot.

You want to get good at grappling, you practice grappling.

You want to get good at striking, you practice striking.

You want to get good at striking and grappling, you practice striking and grappling.

You want to get good at mixing striking and grappling, you practice mixing striking and grappling.

You want to get good at fighting 2 people, you practice fighting 2 people.

You want to get good at fighting 3 people, you practice fighting 3 people.

You want to get good at fighting 4 people, you practice fighting 4 people.

You want to get good at fighting 5 people, you practice fighting 5 people.
>>
File: neck break.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
neck break.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
Learn to wrestle
duck their punch and break their neck
>>
>>2814865
In all the time it took to do that, you could've gotten punched in the head, kicked in the spine, dropped to the ground, and stomped on.
>>
>>2814870
in one second it took the guy to get lifted
in another second it took the other guy to spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair.
>>
>>2814870
But he didn't, he broke the dude's neck. Postulate all you want keyboard warrior, wrestling works and there's video evidence of it.
>>
>>2814885
its not even wrestling or real technique all that was, was nigger strength. show me an actual martial art technique instead of chimp strength and most of the time you will see them getting rek'd
>>
>>2814885
>Postulate all you want keyboard warrior, wrestling works and there's video evidence of it.

>>2812522
>wrestling on the streets
>>
>>2814865
my greatest fear
>>
>>2814916
>1v1 is the same as getting jumped
Keyboard commando SEETHING
>>
File: 1495462980632.jpg (23KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1495462980632.jpg
23KB, 500x280px
>>2812200
Link the websites for both schools friend. 1st one sounds better if they're the only two schools in your area. But as most people are saying; it's not a good hand you're looking at school-wise.

Wing Chun is a good art form but it's a bit archaic in practice. There's a reason why Bruce completely re-modified it into JKD.

Most people here will usually just try to sell you their martial art but you usually can't go wrong with an MMA place. Usually, not always.
>>2812508
>Tkd will only teach you kicks and how to fight against other people who kick.
Not true. Olympic TKD perhaps. Two guys tried to mug my friend with a knife in colllege. He just head kick KO'd one and the other ran away.
>>
>>2812508
Literally this. If you want to be an MMA fighter then you'd want to learn wrestling (catch is best), BJJ & muay thai. That's the most well rounded combination of disciplines. But if you have to learn one, I'd go with BJJ.

t. former collegiate wrestler, boxed for a few years & current white belt in BJJ
>>
>>2815079
>>2815079
why is catch the best wrestling and whats the difference between all of them?
>>
>>2815080

Catch wrestling is a meme. It's just wrestling with some extra locks (i.e. foot locks) but minus proper training because you will learn from some old guy in a small group and focus on "muh catch moves" instead of proper foundations.

Every "full contact" martial art is with it's money:

Grappling:
Wether you take Judo, Wrestling or BJJ, you will ALWAYS learn decent takedowns and you will also learn to do something on the ground. Different styles have a different emphasis, so a wrestler might want to add Judo after a few years to learn foot sweeps and all that funky Gi throws, a Judoka might want to learn BJJ for a better ground game and a BJJ guy might want to learn wrestling for better takedowns.. you get the idea.

But you can start pretty much anywhere if you only beware of "non-sparring" grappling styles like Aikido.

It's the same for striking:

Take Boxing and you are a brilliant puncher. Or Take Kyokushin and become a Tank with a million tricky kicks and nasty bare knuckle punches. Or learn Muay Thai and get your ellbows and takedowns in your game. Just make sure they do full contact sparring and you'll be fine. You can add the missing parts later.

Even TKD is OK, but the problem is TKD is very specialized. You get the most fancy kicks, but you don't get any (usable) hand techniques. And even worse: you don't get attacked with hand techniques, so you never learn to deal with them.

So take this piece of advice:
Start with boxing and add TKD in a year, if you really feel you want those crazy 720 spinning kicks.
>>
>>2812200
Bruce Lee realized Kung fu was garbage
>>
>>2815026
>Two guys tried to mug my friend with a knife in colllege. He just head kick KO'd one and the other ran away.

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?
>>
>>2814794
>I fucking won a judo tournament off of wrestling for a year

Against who? White belts? You realize there are weight and belt divisions in judo right?

Why are people making shit up so much today
>>
>>2814889
>HURR DURR it's not even a real technique

Yes it is you fucking tard. I don't know what they call it in wrestling but in judo it's te guruma.

https://youtu.be/3urpXBb8r84
>>
>>2815430

Generally wrestlers and Judoka are pretty much on par when it comes to fighting in each others discipline. If the competition level is not too high (some hobbyists) then a Judoka can win against a wrestler in wrestling and vice versa.

But I doubt that a wrestler without Judo knowledge wouldn't get stomped in a Judo tournament of say national level. There's just too much going on, the grip fighting with a Gi, the different ground game with less pins and more chokes and especially all those foot throws. If a Judoka comes at you with a combination of three or four foot techniques you either know the right answer or you go to the ground. And you can't reasonably expect a wrestler to defend all those correctly - similar how Judokas would get some problems with level changing in a wrestling tournament..
>>2815435

That's the point.

You can easily turn every Judo technique into something dangerous. Obviously TeGuruma was originally meant as neck breaker (like in the vid), but that's Judoka train hard to control our opponents fall and apply each technique safely. Current Judo rules even penalize "diving" to the ground.

Also I think that MMA dude was very irensponsible, to hammer the other guy head first into the mat. I don't know why he didn't throw him on the back like this throw is supposed to.
>>
>>2815486
>that's the point

Did you even read the post I was replying too?
>>
>>2814794
https://youtu.be/Hv3awaRZC_o
https://youtu.be/X2qPMFijyks

To be fair, no (serious) martial art will teach anyone how to fight against multiple opponents, but some arts offer better tools for said scenario than others.

Boxing is good (or the least bad) at this because it trains two key aspects: footwork and punching. Footwork will allow the boxer to not get surrounded and if required, to turn around and run away from the place; and punching is good because most people without proper training will swing their arms around, trying to punch first, so knowing how to dodge is a huge advantage. Also, by focusing on the arms, the legs are free so there's a better balance.

I'm not claiming other striking arts like karate doesn't work. What I'm claiming is that boxing focus on training specific skills that are more easily implemented and useful on the street. A kick can KO another guy, just like any punch. But is more likely to slip and finish on the ground with a failed kick than a failed punch.
>>
>>2815510
I don't think anyone ever reads or understands what or who they are replying in this board.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.