[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just marathoned this ppv. What did I think of it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: SuperBrawl_VIII.jpg (55KB, 277x500px) Image search: [Google]
SuperBrawl_VIII.jpg
55KB, 277x500px
I just marathoned this ppv. What did I think of it?
>>
>>2688863
>Booker T vs Rick Martel (c) - 3.5
A solid match, but Martel doesn't do a lot to stand out here. The winner of this match has to wrestle immediately afterwards, so my interest piqued more the longer it went. Booker takes just enough of a beating here to amp up the next match's drama without making it unbelievable.
>Booker T (c) vs Perry Saturn - 3.75
The Brain calls out that if Booker loses this match, he will have the shortest title reign in the sport's history. That's pretty hilarious considering how many trash title reigns the sport would see in decades to come. Interestingly, this match actually goes longer than the first one. Perry Saturn understandably dominates for most of the match, but evening the playing field is the knee injury he has to fight through. He drops a huge bomb onto Booker T from the ropes to the outside ring, which is easily the match highlight. Booker shows durability and cunning by slowly wearing out Saturn before finishing the job with an admittedly lackluster kick to the face. Booker already looks like a king in 1998.

Wikipedia tells me that Martel was supposed to win, but he tore a ligament in the first match. Booker and Saturn had to improvise their entire match.
>>
>>2688951
>Disco Inferno vs La Parka - N/A
Snack break match. Should have been later in the ppv for optimum snackage.

>Goldberg vs Brad Armstrong - 3.25
Easily one of the better Goldberg squashes I've seen. You never truly expect Armstrong to win, but he puts up enough of a fight that you can't help but appreciate the guy. They accomplish a lot in just 2:23.

>Chris Jericho (c) vs Juventud Guerrera - 3
Jericho brings a lot of personality to the match, and charisma-vacuum Guerrera erased all of it. Maybe I missed something great but I just could not care about this match. My only other exposure to WCW cruiserweight title matches has been Eddie vs Rey, so I was anticipating a hell of a lot more. Nothing offensively bad about this match though. Jericho wins so Guerrera has to take his mask off, which Jericho joked about to my great pleasure.

>The British Bulldog vs Steve McMichael - 3.25
I'm not going to say much because this was a short, solid match. I will say that The British Bulldog is possibly the most underrated wrestler of all time he deserved a spot at the top of WWF during his time at the company.

>Diamond Dallas Page (c) vs Chris Benoit - 4.5
The ppv picks up in a big way during the final stretch, and this has to be the best match of the night. Benoit pulls out all the stops and you're left with the impression that he could have gotten that victory had he been up against anybody other than DDP. The Diamond Cutter in this match is as smooth as butter, making for a believable ending to a wonderful exhibition of wrestling.
>>
>>2688955
>Lex Luger vs Randy Savage (No DQ) - 3.5
The theme of the night was supposed to be WCW vs NWO but you don't really feel that until this match. Luger looks uncomfortably past his prime but Macho Man looks terrific in black. Luger has his ribs bandaged up and Randy has Miss Elisabeth in his corner, so Randy losing here does unfortunately makes him look a bit weak. However, we get some important storytelling. NWO come out to assist Randy in the end and Hulk stops it, claiming that Randy is holding the group back. They turn their back on the Macho Man, jettisoning him from the group.

>The Outsiders vs The Steiner Brothers (c) - 3.5
Dusty and Ted might as well have not come out during this match. We get to see a dominant Rick Steiner for a bit, which was appreciated. Then comes the betrayal from his brother Scott, which was perfectly called by the commentary team. The icing on the cake is Scott having to hand the belts over to Hall and Nash personally.

A quick note has to be made for how wonderful Scott Hall is on the mic prior to this match. NWO is huge at this point.

>Sting vs Hollywood Hogan - 4.25
We have a vacant title here. This is a beautiful bout of classic wrestling. These two not only keep the wrestling interesting, but they demonstrate a veteran understanding of the importance of acting even while inside the ring. It's funny that Sting essentially rips off Hogan's hulking up gimmick. When things turn in Sting's favor, NWO come out to interfere. Sting does a pretty good job holding them off on his own but a punished Randy Savage comes out to strike Hogan in the head with a spraycan. Sting earns his victory and the crowd erupts. Sting paints WCW across Hogan's torso to close out the show.
>>
>>2688863
>no replies
holy fucking sad you gas station attendant
>>
>>2689923
What are you talking about? I literally just checked a second ago and somebody replied.
>>
This is cool post more in the future
>>
>>2688863
But /asp/ isn't your personal blog...
>>
>>2690438
If you look, I waited over an hour between the OP and my first reply because I was expecting people who had seen this ppv to share their opinions organically. My "review" was just an excuse to bump the thread.

I'm trying to open up a dialogue about a specific subject rather than the aimless memes we see in most threads. I think the idea of /asp/ sitting down and having an in-depth discussion about specific ppvs sounds like fun, and it seems like an innocent attempt at improving geberal board quality. Maybe I just picked an unpopular ppv, or maybe /asp/ just doesn't want to talk about wrestling outside of current news, brand warfare, and shitposting.
>>
>>2688863
I read most of it hours ago. Appreciated the effort. Liked how you seem to be a fan of the characters, story, working crowd etc. rather than typical Meltzer BS.
>>
>>2688863
>marathoned a 160-minute show
Do you have ADHD?
>>
>>2690461
I appreciate that response. I really want ppv specific threads to catch on around here, both to encourage real discussion and turn people on to older shows. I'll probably try this again soon.

I might have better luck getting this to trend if I do a Wrestlemania. Ideally I could gather enough interest to do classic gamethreads every Thursday.
>>
>Booker T vs Rick Martel
Was this when Martel got injured?
>>
>>2690494
Yep. I didn't even realize it happened. It's amazing how the opening of this ppv didn't completely fall apart and actually turned out pretty great.
>>
>>2690502
It was a shame since I remember him being pretty good in WCW around that time.
>>
>>2690508
Sucks to hear he was meant to win, Martel had a great little run back then.
>>
>>2688951
>>2688955
>>2688956
kill yourself you fucking autist
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.