[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 56

Died AGAIN edition
Previous
>>2681677

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
>>
>>2686583
stop spamming the board with threads nobody wants to post in then fuck face
>>
>>2686586
Or a mod could maybe ban some of you fuckers for making the 50th wwe thread with 3 replies
Or just make an actual board for you subhumans
>>
>be distracted
>be walking through door
>forget about the approximately 3ft of stairs
>fall
>strain my ililotibial band area on the side of my knee
>have that on top of my hamstring cramp, strain, and knot just a few days ago

Did somebody say something about internal martial arts?
>>
>>2686608
>SEETHING
>>
>>2686608
Why ya seethin so hard, ya lil pinhead?
>>
>>2686583
>WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

be unbiased and objective to see anything in the first place
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logically
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people get better, people have fun, because of the fact that that's what makes a good gym, not despite the fact
>>
File: 45011k_lg.jpg (785KB, 1230x953px) Image search: [Google]
45011k_lg.jpg
785KB, 1230x953px
Bruce Lee's philosophy in championship fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH0m4N8vLWk

The jab is the most important punch in Western Boxing, so why shouldn't you have your dominant hand in front?

Most people are right handed and stand Orthodox. Why not have your rear hand and leg fuck them up when you stand southpaw?

Having power in your dominant hand means nothing when you're not doing Kyokushin with only 3min or less rounds.

3 5min rounds? 5 2min rounds?
It's all about working your lead side.
>>
>>2687111
bruce lees philosophy are the musings of a man in his 20s that only ever hit the pads, so he shouldn't be taken as any kind of authority when it comes to fighting

if you are any kind of good there shouldn't be any noticeable imbalance in your ability on either side. It's more about comfort and preference than anything
I prefer to punch orthodox, I prefer to kick southpaw. So at range I stand lefty and up close I stand righty
when I'm on top I like to pass from the left
when I'm on bottom I like to attack from the right

it's a dexterity thing more than a power thing
>>
>>2687126
It sounds like you have imbalances in your abilities but are just calling them "preferences" instead of admitting you suck
>>
Is 50 euro for three times a week in muay thai cheap or not? I'm doing judo 4 times for 40, but I do two different groups in the same gym, it's 35 normally.
>>
>>2687285
It's all expensive because martial arts should be free.
>>
If you had to pick between MT and BJJ, what would you choose?
>>
>>2687472
Self defense against one guy? BJJ
Self defense in a place where the guy has friends? MT
Personally I'd do BJJ because I already do striking, but if the price is twice the Judo one I'd do judo.
>>
>>2687472
I'd chose MT just because I think striking is more fun. Striking is also better for self defense because most fights don't happen when it's just 2 people alone and most people just throw punches which you learn to defend against in MT.
>>
>>2686844
I hear HGH really improves joint chi
>>
>>2687126
It's like you didn't watch the video and lack a basic understanding of Orthodox vs Southpaw and Mirror fights, or you just want to shitpost and argue on the internet.

It's better to stand one way when doing some things in certain situations than it is to stand another way. Not to mention when both grappling and striking are allowed.
>>
File: boxing-m_1874146a.jpg (57KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
boxing-m_1874146a.jpg
57KB, 620x413px
Anybody watch Underground Bare Knuckle Boxing in the UK?

Is it any good?

Worth watching?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UZBg1pMS4
>>
>Do MA for fun and self-defense
>End up getting injured and having to take time off
>Lose flexibility and gains
>Extremely difficult to get back to where you were
>Live in pain because you kicked your own ass
>Hope that talking to a bunch of people with sensory disorders on a Japanese Pro Wrestling imageboard will somehow help you Make Fatty Great Again

Who knows these feels
>>
File: Hug vs Bernardo Leg Kick .gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Hug vs Bernardo Leg Kick .gif
2MB, 300x200px
I don't know too much about Andy Hug, but I like his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_LruSf2flw
>>
>>2687715
I wonder how kyokushin would fare
Looks like that shit shaves away quite the number of neurons
>>
>>2687726
Purely speculation, fats, but indulge us with your honest thoughts: how do you think you'd fare against /asp/'s old trip's? Whom do you think you could take? Which ones would wreck you? What do you see as your comparative strengths and weaknesses?
>>
>>2687715
From what I've seen on twitter (maybe not the best sample), the pool is so shallow amateur boxers and MMA kickboxers rekt ass on it.
>>
>>2686583
so did /mag/ move to a different board or something? Threads never used to be this dead
>>
>>2687726
I think in some way or form, we all know, at least a little bit, these feels.
>>
>>2687761
Can someone give me a quick rundown on what happened to /asp/? I always remembered at least half the threads were about fightan even when WWE took over.
>>
>>2687910
Its name was changed to /asp/alternative sports & WRESTLING and it worked to enable the trolls, who flooded the boards with shitposting until it became the norm.
>>
>>2687928
What happened to the non-puro generals?
>>
>>2687939
Basically what happens in /d/, where a ton of small threads make it over 50% dickgirls. Key difference, in /d/ it is said that almost all those threads are bumped about once a day intentionally.
>>
File: Super Secret Karate.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Super Secret Karate.gif
1MB, 360x202px
>>2687742
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_LruSf2flw

>stands southpaw
>lifts rear leg up to fake a kick
>brings leg back down
>throws rear leg straight punch

I like that.

I like to kick with long range, and prefer to throw knees and punches when in a closer striking distance.

I don't use kicks to set up punches as much as I use punches to set up kicks, that makes me more predictable.

I'm going to start using kicks to set up punches more.

Reminds me of something a Karateka showed me.

>throw rear leg roundhouse kick
>throw rear hand straight punch while retracting kick
I thought that was neat, broken rhythm and all, making it less predictable, kind of like Wolfman and his Calf Kick to Switch to Overhand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0coXvWiT1PQ
>>
File: 1495501239411.png (539KB, 634x887px) Image search: [Google]
1495501239411.png
539KB, 634x887px
>>2687761

Okay, I'm going to forget some but here's my best guess, also let's pretend I'm in the shape I was in when I was last posting here. AND let's say I'm not fighting dirty like spitting and clawing eyes because I love all my people and would never want to attempt to injure anyone here unless they do krav

Advantages:
-Fairly fast (not tooting my own horn, every teacher and sparring partner has commented on my speed)
-I am not above doing a fuckton of PCP and fighting
-Unpredictability (master of nothing)

Disadvantages
-Wiry as fuck (if I have pecs ATM, I'm 160 and 5'10" tops, skinnyfat mode I'm a good 150)
-Shit cardio because I want to be healthy but I love to smoke things
-Unpredictability (master of nothing)

>Dr. Goblin
60/40 Gob wins, maybe I can surprise him, but he's really well rounded. I'd love to train with Doc.

>TKDbrah
85/15, he likely kicks me so hard in the face I travel through time but my best hope would probably be judo and prayer

>Wu
25/75, I think he has shit grappling last I checked and I know some of his techniques and might be able to predict what he's about to do (worth noting I think that Wu is actually better than people here give him credit for and his Tai Chi may actually be worth a shit)

>Puro
Puro kills me, ties me in a knot, and makes it look good

>Seido
Seido fucking wipes the floor with me

>King of Stickfighting
95/5 I absolutely fuck up The King of Dicks. If I have a rattan and he has his dumb 3-section staff, 100% Fatty, he's picking bamboo splinters out of his anus for 5 months.

>Kyoko-chan
Was he fake? I thought he was one of the better namefags on here

Kravbro
I strongly suspect that he was a troll who made a lot of shit up. If he's not lying, he might kick my ass, but he is like 20 years older than me.

Who am I missing? WHO WANTS TO THEORETICALLY TAKE ON THE COBRA?
>>
>>2687610
yeah, nah
standing southpaw is always the right answer
>>2687241
I can do everything on both sides, I'm not one of those phony retards that went to a shit instructor and was taught to "master one side then learn the other" which is stupid lazy bullshit. Every rep I have done on my left I have done on my right

but I have a flow of how I like to move
>>
>>2687472
MT all the way.

BJJ is a great sport, and is very effective in a sport environment, such as tournaments and such. And that's it.

When you move BJJ out from the ring, the limitations become clear, and despite what their fanboys claim, BJJ isn't always an insta-win in 1 to 1 fights.

https://youtu.be/s3_tIU4lLtw

We have this kind of questions every other thread, and the usual response is that depends on the school, but most importantly, on the student.
>>
File: bjj in tha streetz.webm (3MB, 405x720px) Image search: [Google]
bjj in tha streetz.webm
3MB, 405x720px
tournament the second week of july, need to lose 30 pounds for it
wish me luck, boners!
>>
File: 8QOKgaM.gif (2MB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
8QOKgaM.gif
2MB, 400x253px
You can only learn and use 3 striking combinations, what 3 do you choose?
>>
File: tmp_14872123680961027412680.gif (2MB, 232x116px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14872123680961027412680.gif
2MB, 232x116px
>>2688258
.gif very related. It's never a 1v1 in a street fight and staying on the ground for more than 5 seconds is suicide. But BJJ does give you an amazing strength boost. I was always a big guy from weight training, but moving people has made me insanely strong.

>>2688387
>that match
What style is this and why did that one chick have a blackbelt? That was the worst stand up posture I have ever seen
>>
File: wrassling.jpg (44KB, 564x464px) Image search: [Google]
wrassling.jpg
44KB, 564x464px
>>2688277
Of course
>>
>>2688812
Looks like Kyokushin
>>
>>2687472

They complement each other, so it's the wrong question..

Also it boils down to what works for YOU.

Some guys freak out from the hugging in BJJ.
Some guys hate mouth protection which are necessary in Boxing and Muay Thai.

Also imagine there is a drunken guy, are you feeling OK with punching him in the face very hard or giving him a lowkick? Or are you more the nice guy that wants to restrain him until he calms down?

In the end it's about long term motivation. Personally I don't know which I would chose, both are great systems to learn and have a lot to offer. You can't really go wrong.
>>
>>2688387

I think it's the Shinkyokushinkai symbol in the background, a Kyokushin offshoot.

>That was the worst stand up posture I have ever seen

It's taken from a longer fight, so I don't know if their postures where better before.

But mind that bare knuckle body punches hurt like shit, so naturally your posture in Kyokushin infight is somewhat different than in other martial arts. But that would be a different discussion..
>>
>>2688812
Because obviously, he would have wrecked those ten armed niggas if only he used standup.
>>
>>2688162
You forgot Cambo, but we all know that ends with you in a greasy smear.

How about original pomf?
>>
File: a9rgMKL_460sv(1).webm (837KB, 460x246px) Image search: [Google]
a9rgMKL_460sv(1).webm
837KB, 460x246px
>>2688360

>shit takedown
>didn't close distance
>crap stance
>teeny babby legs
>picking fights with black guys

lel, probably a very confident white belt

>>2688387
Dibs on Rolly-chan as my waifu

>>2688812
I laugh so fucking hard whenever this gif gets posted

I saw a thread on /r9k/ about an 18 year old who says his 11 year old sister is using BJJ to beat him up and rape him. Probably a troll thread but it's starting to check out.

I told him to post something here so hopefully that happens

>>2689327
Oh yeah, I miss those guys now that you mention it.

Cambo of course slays little Fatty, and pomf...

Fuck, it was hard to get a read on OG pomf. I literally do not know. Although I think I would have a chance, as memory serves he was actually pretty built. I might be able to sneak in some painful shots and do damage, but I think if I were /asp/ I'd put money on him (well let's be honest, her.)

I think we actually had a female poster here when I first got to /asp/ but I might have driven her away with my autism and repeated attempts at hooking her up with TKDbrah. For the life of me I can't remember her trip.
>>
How do I get better at head kicks in Muay Thai? I can reach people's heads during padwork but my flexibility isn't good enough to actually use them in sparring.
>>
>>2689557
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxokaEvKnD8
>>
>>2687726
welcome to the club
>>
>>2689617
what if we are extremely inflexible?
>>
>>2689901
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GX1crXyw78
>>
>>2689456
Who wins between Wu and baguajj
>>
>>2689456
>a9rgMKL_460sv(1).webm
and people say dancing serves no function
>>
>>2688931
>I don't know a think about nigger pack mentality
Listen to someone who has spent hours watching nogs kill each other. The fact that he was on the ground left him open to that whole thing. They only strike when they know youre weak. Like a pack of hyenas. Standup would have saved him.

>>2689456
Considering that's /rk9/ that's probably some fetish posting. But I would like to see that match
>>
>>2689456
>I think we actually had a female poster here when I first got to /asp/ but I might have driven her away with my autism and repeated attempts at hooking her up with TKDbrah. For the life of me I can't remember her trip.
That'd be Talia if I remember correctly. She was pretty cool.

Also, talking about the 'old times' has me wondering if anyone other than me has ever posted competition footage of themselves?
>>
My therapist suggested I take up martial arts to help my mental health, are there any that are good for this?

Preferably ones that can also help me get fit, since I am a fat fuck
>>
>>2690394
Depends on what's your problem
>>
>>2690394
And also what's in your area
>>
>>2690414
Depression, loneliness, no friends
>>
>>2690423
I'm speculating here, but more effort-oriented ones (kickboxing, muay thai, mma) will make you create stronger bonds with few people in the long run, while lighthearted things like Tae Kwon Do will get you to socialize with more people who could be more open

To get you out of depression though you just have to find something you like, we can't tell you what you enjoy more
>>
>>2688162
What the fuck, you're still alive?
>>
>>2690394
That's funny, because as a martial arts coach, I'd recommend seeing a therapist for mental health.
>>
>>2688360
Word of advice, don't run in for the take down from 10 yards away like that retard
>>
>>2690210
Hiphopkido
>>
>>2690394
See if there's Kyokushin Karate where you're at. You get applicable fighting ability and good fitness because it's like Kickboxing but with less head punches so you also get less brain damage compared to Boxing. You also do kata in Karate and kata is like movement meditation and meditation is good for your mental health, but since you're doing Karate while meditating you also get some exercise.

If you find Goju Karate you should do that but some Goju places can suck.
>>
>>2690394
Nothing helps your mental state like knowing you're a badass who can kick ass and you're fit and look good because martial arts are a fun exercise.

MMA is what you're looking for.

MMA is well rounded so you'll be prepared for anything that comes your way in combat situations except for weapons.
MMA is also a competitive sport so being physically fit has more of an emphasis compared to stuff like most Aikido. You're going to feel good looking at how fit you are because you had fun doing MMA.

More specialized arts like BJJ will just give you false confidence about your ass kicking abilities.

MMA fighters can Box, MMA fighters can Kick, MMA fighters can Knee and Elbow, MMA fighters can Clinch, MMA fighters can Trip, MMA fighters can Sweep, MMA fighters can Throw, MMA fighters can do Takedowns, and MMA fighters know Wrestling and BJJ.
MMA fighters are prepared for anything, except for weapons.

If a MMA fighter is against a Boxer, all the MMA fighter has to do is kick.
If a MMA fighter is against a Taekwondo practitioner, all the MMA fighter has to do is punch.
If a MMA fighter is against a Wrestler, all the MMA fighter has to do is Kickbox.
If a MMA fighter is against a Judoka, all the MMA fighter has to do is use the Muay Thai or Ground and Pound from their MMA.
If a MMA fighter is against a BJJ player, all the MMA fighter has to do is let the BJJ player pull guard and then break his own spine on the ground because there aren't any soft BJJ grappling pads on the floor.
>>
>>2690394
aikido is the best martial art for your mental state aikido is the art of peace and flow your mind becomes like water
you are not stiff like a rock yet you are able to flow around and eventually break everything around you nothing is softer than water and nothing is deadlier than water
you get your mind body and spirit in tune and you become your best self
you can defend against knives and swords in aikido and you can do it without severely injuring your enemies but you have the ability to do so if you wanted to
>>
>>2690394
If you want to develop fighting ability, sparring helps with that a lot.
Generally speaking, martial arts schools that do no sparring have students that are significantly less skilled in applied fighting ability than students who have the same amount of time spent training but having sparring on a frequent and regular basis.
>>
>>2690394
>Preferably ones that can also help me get fit, since I am a fat fuck
Just remember to take it easy on your knees. When it's not just our muscles that hurt, but your joints, fucking listen to that shit, yo.
If your joints are a little sore, that's not too bad, but you feel pain for a reason: it's your body telling you that you're fucked up.
Take it easy if you've got joint pain; training while you're in pain just leads to injury, and training while injured just leads to more severe injury, generally speaking.

If you try to kick high when you're weak, inflexible, and not warmed up, you're just going to strain a muscle, at the least. You could have a more severe strain, or even tear a muscle.
>>
>>2690423
>Depression, loneliness, no friends
That's funny because I've got friends but I'm still lonely.
You meet some decent, even good people, in martial arts places. You can have fun with these people, talk about things you're interested in, but they still just don't quite cut it.
Despite knowing all of these people, despite having fun with these people, they aren't like me, and even the ones that are more like me than the others are still not that close to being like me.

I'd take quality over quantity, not just with friends, but with martial arts.

If you put in the extra effort to test out different martial arts places, and pick the best one for what you want, I'd say that it would be well worth it.

What you want may change, so you may change places, and then you get a quality within the quantity, and I find that kind of pretty.

tl;dr
Don't just chose any martial arts place because it has the style we told you to do, try to find a good place.
>>
File: 1495761145314.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1495761145314.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>2690394
You should do Wing Chun. Not only can you defeat humans with Wing Chun, but you can also defeat other animals like wolves.
>>
>>2690938
> seen too many movies. most useless form of kung fu
>>
>>2690940
The gif is no movie, it's proof that Wing Chun is a very effective and versatile martial art.
>>
>>2690394
>>2690423
Find how comfortable are you with exercise and the idea of pain for gain. For introverts, as an example, physical exertion is a life hack because their bodies scream excitement.

Browse for a gym or dojo that fits with the level of exertion and environment you want.
>>
>>2689557

I like to throw out some feint jabs, often the opponent will consistently try to slip to one side, putting their head lower.

Kick it.
>>
>>2689456
>Dat webm

>Watch blue spinning like a top
>Red falls off the ring
>Laugh every loudly
>Notice the Olympic rings symbol on the background
>Pic related

I, is this the best of the very best TKD can offer? Really?
>>
>>2690763
how to spot someone that doesn't train
>they think MMA is a martial art
>>
>>2691185
>implying
>>
>>2691127
>I, is this the best of the very best TKD can offer? Really?
They're under a lot of pressure up there, all those intense emotions impair cognition and therefore fighting ability.
>>
File: videoplayback3.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
videoplayback3.webm
3MB, 640x360px
anyone are to see some sumo?
>>
>>2691323
Jeez that big mofo moved fast. He flew up
>>
>>2690938
higher res pls?
I can't really see what happened there
>>
>>2691749
He shoved the attacking dog aside.
>>
>>2691210
Noticing the boundaries of the fighting area should be one of the first things you learn in tournament training.
>>
>>2690372
Tkdbrah here

Fatty you didn't drive away Talia, I did. Long story.
>>
>>2691814
Yeah

Red can move back and eat a half point at worst, or he can stay still and eat a kick that could set him back 3 or 4

I used to win by kicking people out of the ring. Helps when people get too reliant on evasion.
>>
>>2691323
Lol'd, classic pissed off Hakokou.
>>
>>2688387
>cross hook overhand right
>jab right push kick
>jab cross left body hook
>>
>>2690957
>pushing a dog is an effective martial art
>>
>>2689557
You force your opponent to duck with head punches and feint another into your kick.
>>
File: slippery tiles.webm (2MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
slippery tiles.webm
2MB, 400x224px
>>2691832
>Long story
Explain. It's all we got on this board anyway.
>>
>>2692132
I like these.

>>2688387
>learn and use
eh?

Easy mode: any of the three most complicated Ludwig combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viq-SLRykHM

Hard modo: Matt Hume's stuff for Demetrius.

Ones I use already:
>body jab, head jab, lead hook & pivot
>rear straight, rear kick
>2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 etc.
>>
>>2692692
very dishonest video, yes hes high up, yes if he fell he would die
but the elongated fish eye thing makes it look like those ledges are much more narrow than they are
>>
>>2692150
Are you for real?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-26-16-00-22.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-26-16-00-22.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Uh oh
>>
>>2693034
kek
>>
>>2692150
>>2690938
>>2691749
>>2691812

>human stands orthodox
>super scary pitbull runs towards human
>super scary pitbull lunges at human
>super scary pitbull uses bite
>human uses circular outward counterclockwise block with left arm while starting to side step and pivot
>block turns into parry and push while human continues side step and pivot
>while completing side step and pivot, human throws a right arm straight punch
>the straight punch had so much power that the wind from the punch pushes the dog's ear flap inside out
>>
File: 1488776908498.gif (3MB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
1488776908498.gif
3MB, 265x200px
>>2693431
Thanks anon
Have a Rising Jaguar in return for the rundown
>>
>human stands orthodox
>super scary pitbull runs towards human
>super scary pitbull lunges at human
>super scary pitbull uses bite
>human uses circular outward counterclockwi- FUCK MY ARM
>>
>>2692692
Fatty didn't get us together, I did. But the relationship went south when I progressed things faster then she was ready for. Been apart for a year.

Shes doing fine. Very stable. I don't hold animosity. But its has been a year.

Last girlfriend I had was far far left and kinda honest...well she was a good lay. But she also had panic attacks and was raised on tumblr. It was fasinating to see the 21st century far left totalitarian in its larval state.

And here I am now. Working bike delivery and gathering funds to go to thailand.
>>
>>2693657
Said liberal gf dumped me because she couldn't be with a trump supporter. Confirmed a lot of my suspicions about tumblrites.

Liberalism breeds mental disorders I swear to god. She told me it was wrong to belive that anyone can do anything If they try hard enough because of fucking privilage.

I liked her but ffs I wanted to fucking laugh. Like I mean fuck, look at the unibber. Look at your president - real Estate magnate takes over a political party and now we have independent 3rd party celebrities breaking the political Veil. We are moving beyond parties in america, to something new and hopefully glorious.
>>
>>2693664
And let's make this official. My current goal is to move to thailand to become a sponsored fighter, and fight as often as I can. Then move to the Netherlands and continue fighting, but I'll slow down to 1 a month. Build a rep. The whole shebang.

Now then who has a question for Tae Kwon Do, greatest of the martial arts
>>
I am reading the McDojo FAQ and I've got a few questions?

How the fuck am I supposed to know what a sketchy website looks like?

What is a reasonable price for classes? For this I am asking for an aikido and Iadio
>>
>>2693681
>Asking about McDojos
>Wants to do aikido
>>
>>2693681
Don't do aikido.

Boxing
Tkd
Muay thai
Judo
Bjitz
Sambo
All much better ideas.

There is also schools that do japanese jujitsu, but compete in judo.

Aikido is prone to pajama lapping and won't do much of any martial good to inexperienced people and people not doing it out of crude cultural worship

Iadio is fine as its a weapons art. 110 a month or so, more in expensive cities.

As for mcdojos, we'll that's the thing. Look at competition. Every martial art I listed has world champions and professionals and Olympians who can teach you , people who either have good records (good) or training fucking great people (way better)

Example, Conor McGregor would be a good teacher. His tkd teacher is a great teacher.

From there if training is lively and full of resistance then it's good. But it'll take time to see what more esoteric schools will be worthwhile training, so sticking to the above mentioned arts and sports are best.
>>
>>2693699
>>2693701
Thanks fámalam, looks like I dodged a bullet there
>>
>>2693701
>Conor McGregor would be a good teacher
I take it you didn't watch TUF.
>>
>>2693723
It's what asp is here for

4chan /bullshido/

We need the old namefags to report in and start posting generals of training. I'll start a tkd thread for kicking and such again. Let us reclaim this board.

Personally doing bike delivery for 10 hours a day really makes your legs and cardiovascular good. Esp with clip less pedals and full 45 degree climbs
>>
>>2693765
You mean ufc drama edition

I mean fuck I'm all for gossip but that show just goes sometimes. I'll give it a watch.

What season?

I should say he'd be a good training partner at least. What's wrong with him, just curious
>>
File: tkdbrah.jpg (349KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tkdbrah.jpg
349KB, 800x1280px
>>2693673
Thanks for sharing your story, pic is meant to be jovial than parodical. The tumblrina breaking things off for you being pro Trump (as am I) is harrowingly familiar. Being unironically more toward the chaos candidate than the establishment incarnate is nothing to be ashamed of.

Best of luck to Thailand. What's your budget looking like? Are you worried about CTE or stomach bugs?

Oh, and on TKD, what's your feel on kicking off of same-side vs cross-side punches? e.g. right kick off of a right straight vs right kick after left hook
>>
>>2693817
Not that guy, but it's the old good players don't make good coaches.

>What's wrong with him
The way I hear it, the coach lucked out with McGregor (stupidly gifted physically) and kinda with Nelson (great grappler in Europe). Conor gets/trains/tries his own thing, other trainees try to emulate despite lacking the resources, coaching or athleticism. So ti's a standard middling gym focused in pushing its one top talent.

Compare to coaches like Hooft or Cordeiro, who consistently improve trainees in terms of technique and strategy.
>>
>>2693699
Mcdojos are a marketing tactic it says nothing about whether the art in question is worth training in.

depending on someones age and health I would point them to aikido over my preferred grappling arts, certainly if I were too old or had to many injuries to spar I would take aikido over the stilted practice they call "kata" in judo

That said in most situations I would recommend bjj or judo over aikido
>>
>>2693872
Gonna be doing a lot of pedicabbing - and that shit can pull money - but without that in my calculations I'll be leaving in 5 months with 7k. Gonna try to change my diet now, I'm lactose intolerant so I'll get pills. But I still don't drink and I quit hash so I'm just gonna be training and training.

I want to compete as much as I can. Just get fighting for a bit. Prolly gonna see if I can get a ammy match before then

As far as mirroring, it works when it's across the hips, like returning a left low kick with a right cross, but otherwise I try to match same side. Leaves you open to being swept aside and having your back innocently exposed to the horrible 100% sure attack coming.

So yeah jump back kick and you're good. Being bladed also requires a bit of distance and makes it hard to match like that unless you want to hit after instead of before.

Take note I have eternal reach advantage so yeah. My style is mine, but some things cross over
>>
>>2693673
Did you fix your seoi? You disappeared after I told you it looked like shit and described how to correct it.
>>
>>2694045
I did, ended up ok at it but sadly I'm focused on glory atm

Also thai clinch for a while.

Send me a email I'll detail my training a bit. Fill in some details.
>>
I'm someone who disappeared from his boxing gym around 5 months ago after being a regular due to personal issues but mainly because I didn't feel like going, which is why I'm ashamed to go back. I've been doing routines in my house but as you all now it's not the same. How do I overcome that fear to go back?
>>
>>2694212
you understand it's not a big deal and the worst thing someone is going to ask you is
>hey anon why haven't you been around
>I was busy
>>
>>2690522
They were 2 bricks apart when he went for the takedown.
>>
>>2694533
Maybe their feet, but COG is much to far for white to dive in. He doesnt initiate with forward motion. Its just a clumsy dive, meanwhile black is mobile and moving backward, creating more relative distance.

Body should be upright in a proper shot. You change levels at the knees.
>>
>>2686608
SEETHING
>>
>>2694533
Upon further analysis it seems you were right.

However he was still slow as fuck and a terrible shoot. He put his head down without ever shooting his front leg in between his opponents. You can hardly even call it a shoot, He just kind of bent over and tried to run forward.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-27-12-46-46.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-27-12-46-46.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>2694662
Pic related
>>
File: 1494401888944.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494401888944.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
post webm's
>>
>>2686583
>•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
Aren't martial arts all about overwhelming bigger and stronger guys?
>>
>>2694994
Why not stack the deck? Brute power is a technique too. Plus there are times you just can't out technique a side kick crushing you into a brick wall.

Every kick you practice is one more edge on your blade against your opponent.

And being fat is disgusting so quit it. If you can't see your abs you are fat. Heavyweights barely get a pass on this.
>>
>>2693971
How does coconut...everything jive with your system? I enjoy the taste but some products give me runny shit. It may be a long shot, but give organic (WITH FAT) dairy milk a try; my intestines love that.

>ammy match
Yer gunn have to explain that one to me, cowboy.
>>
>>2695027
>Why not stack the deck?
Sure, but as time goes, we will get older and won't be able to use raw power as in youth. Maybe you'll have a lot of exp by then to counter young powerhouses?

>there are times you just can't out technique
I thought that you must learn techniques until you can use them unconsciously.

>And being fat is disgusting so quit it.
And not healthy.

So, anon, what's your opinion?
>>
>>2694994
No. Brute strength is not enough to beat a good fighter, but an average fighter with brute strength is.
>>
fighting in matches doesn't make you a better fighter at all. thousands of hours of training a year, and none of it is defined by the 15 minutes or less you spend having a match maybe once every 6 months

some kind of myth really that pro fighters are automatically the best and non-pros wouldn't stand a chance against them. They are the best among people that want to make a living by fighting, but not the best among people who do martial arts in general. Some people are smarter than to work for $1 an hour training and fighting for prize money in blood sport.
>>
>>2695043
I'm gonna be eating at a local thai rest every day to get to love coconut.

As for milk god no man Like Jesus I don't even handle yogurt. I've been drinking lots of probiotic like kefir tho.

And amateur match. My job kinda got in the way of things but I have a better job now. Just to prepare properly for thailand
>>
>>2694212
Literally over 68% of your gym will by then be new faces. 95% of the gym will never even broach your absence. 99.7% of the people won't even go so far as to give you a stink eye.
>>
>>2695154
If you have to beat each other you make sure you use something that works.
Being a larping fag gives you no incentive to use good techniques (not to mention knowing them to begin with), it doesn't even give you the chance to discover them.
>>
>>2695060
>can't see roundhouse when it's an idea in the fighters mind

You'd have bigger problems then that by your age

But more seriously it's about how you structure your body around the point of impact to diffuse the blow. But even then having the muscle to meet the impact even, whip it in there...

And by out technique I mean that there are times in real life where you won't be able to use techniques safely from outside conditions. When that happens it's often down to muscle. Have that muscle.

>>2695106
Exactly. It can help save your life.

Full disclosure I've competed up to against 220 240 in tkd, as a 180/ 165

Part of it is flight path and choice, but if you're not used to swinging for the fences you won't be able to properly progress your power through use.
>>
>>2695154
>They are the best among people that want to make a living by fighting, but not the best among people who do martial arts in general. Some people are smarter than to work for $1 an hour training and fighting for prize money in blood sport.

Yeah having 100 bum fights won't mean anything, but where you go from there and who you beat from there would.

And also, just saying, but it's a lot more fun then financial optimization

And yeah it's fun man

Like don't you like fun

Don't you like having fun?
>>
File: 23452359889.jpg (88KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
23452359889.jpg
88KB, 750x750px
Do you use pic related in BJJ? I'm interested in learning it, but don't want to feel dudes' junk rub on me.
>>
>>2695206
no
>>
>>2695174
but thats sparring. You don't need to actually /fight/ someone to be good at fighting

in this age nobody ever clocks enough time in the ring even across an entire career for it to actually matter as far as their skills are concerned
skills are acquired and practiced in the gym, not the ring
>>
>>2695206
Don't be one of those guys man

Jesus

Learn to take nutshots
>>
>>2695215
>You don't need to actually /paint/ something to be good at painting
>You don't need to actually /drive/ something to be good at driving

Actually fighting is the only thing that can evaluate your skill.
Fightless martial artists are like programmers who never wrote code. I'm saying this as someone who never seriously fought so it's not like I'm defending myself.
>>
>>2695213

Darn. Thanks.
>>
>>2695229
that's not true though.
Sparring is exactly the same thing as fighting except with less risk of injury
a fight has less to do with skill and more to do with who can suffer the most traumatic brain injury before losing consciousness. Plus the more you get hit the weaker your chin gets, so the less you fight the more fighting fit you are.

I'm part of the pro fighter circle, I'm personal friends with competitors and champs and I can tell you first hand theres nothing exceptional about most of these people. Champs are champs for a reason, but your run of the mill pro isn't anything special.

I'm not a pro and I can spar with these people just fine. There isn't going to be some change to that result if we are now supposed to do it with killing intent
>>
>>2695229
You know there's a Olympic cyclist near where I live. Rides in full kit. Yet I always pass his ass.

Because he rides to train and I ride to deliver food from point a to b. I have to sprint while he can play safe and stop at lights.

He is better at riding his bike in controlled enviroments, I am much better at riding on the street where there are more chaotic variables.

Just saying, I feel I am more ready to deal with bad drivers then he is because he doesn't control traffic like I do, but he's a public figure an shit and I don't really blame him.

But bikes shouldn't stop at Red lights ever. PARTY DON'T STOP MOTHERFUCKER

But yeah. I see bad drivers before he does. I feel them coming in the road. I hear them through music. I am better on the road because I am always on the road, even though he's better on his bike. If we had full greens going down queen Ann I'm sure he'd slap my ass down, his bike is cf and has disk wheels, mine is steel and overspoked.

So yeah pro fighters would be very well equipped to do street fighting but it's a slightly different game with different rules. It doesn't mean street fighters are legendary skin walkers prowling the streets for innocent Gracies
>>
>>2695264
the pressure difference between sparring and fighting is enormous
>>
>>2695286
The real difference is that you can let go in fights and enjoy yourself.

Sparring becomes like gardening
>>
>>2695264
Well for example when sparring you don't focus on dealing the most damage and that can lead to misjudging the force you need, you don't need a meta/psychological game, you don't realize how much damage the opponent can deal to you
>>2695275
I think you're kinda proving my point, the guy doesn't do delivery so he's not prepared for it even though he's better than you in technical skill, like someone can be a better fighter than you on the technical level but will fail in an actual fight if he doesn't have the experience
>>
>>2695311
Not so much that he's skilled at delivery rather then he doesn't run reds and kill feds

Ie I am always passing him on the road. I'm sure he could keep up and pass me if he wanted to try and run the next red too. Because after 3 to 5 seconds most traffic is gone here, less at night, and in gridlock who gives a fuck.

But street riding like this in high traffic is really basically a extreme sport. Esp if you skitch like a boss
>>
>>2690186

Nobody

>>2690372

It was Talia, thank you.

>>2690394
Okay. Everyone is just shilling for their art right now, I will give you my opinion as someone who is actually going back to school to be a therapist and has actually sampled multiple arts.

If you're taking MA to cope with loneliness, I would say absolutely, positively do BJJ. You'll subconsciously start feeling better because of the physical human contact you're getting; being punched in the face, or slammed around is not what you need. Go roll on the ground with some other humans, it will do you absolute wonders, anon. I would be pretty surprised if you told me in two months you didn't feel way better. I'm not even a BJJ nuthugger, but I've been isolated too (everyone on this website is to some degree) and i should be taking it myself, however I have injuries ATM.

Lonely, "friendless" people tend to get sucked into McDojo cults easily (I know from experience), so I would stay away from TMA. If the instructor acts like he wants to be admired and worshiped, RUN.

I would actually not listen to >>2690772

Aikido isn't for you and here's why; you need a very physical art with a lot of strength conditioning, exercise improves your mood and your testosterone levels and aikido by definition is an art where you are required to move very little. You don't need to defend yourself from fucking samurai swords, you need to defend yourself from your own depression.

I have literally heard from every aikido practitioner that it re-wires your mind and makes you feel better in general, but also every aikido practitioner I've met has been a skinny autist. Not saying it's a bad MA, but I have seen MMA guys and aikido guys standing right next to each other and you can tell who is the athlete and who is the weeb who specifically sought a martial art they thought would be less physically demanding.
>>
>>2686850
>>2686857
>>2694580

Jesus, just shut the fuck up you embarrassing spastics.
>>
>>2695330
I try to be nice to aikido

But goddamm It's hard. People need to have the wool lifted.

One place near my house offers aikido and energy healing
>>
>>2695330

Forgot my name

Also, Hi Teek!
>>
>>2695358
Hello fatty. Are you still in that cult
>>
>>2695286
I don't really understand what that means
>>
>>2695286
>>2695373

Sparring and competitive fighting are different in the same sense messing around with your pet dog and defending from some wild stray dog are.

One are controlled and to some degree friendly games. In the other, the opposite part is actively trying to hurt you.
>>
>>2695385
I'd hope the competitive fights you go to are controlled and ultimately to some degree a friendly competition. I'd be suspicious if it weren't. This isn't Fight Club.
>>
File: superthumb.jpg (23KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
23KB, 300x250px
>>2695346
>aikido and energy healing

Reiki actually helped me with synthetic marijuana withdrawals. My old teacher said he was drawing out toxins, and I genuinely felt better when he was done. Before you say hypnosis, it's extremely hard to ignore the physical symptoms of withdrawal, I took a big nap after he was done and my face felt all fuzzy and when I woke up, I wasn't feeling like crap.

>>2695346
>I try to be nice to aikido But goddamm It's hard.

Aikido posters always sound really spergy and that is no coincidence. Being nice to aikido will only perpetuate the smugness that they all feel when they do zero sparring and are physically unfit to fight a fifth grader. They act superior, but never actually spar because they're all peaceful nonviolent monks in their own minds.

Like, aikido might be useful if I were to grab their clothing in a very particular way in a bar fight, but I wouldn't do that because the second the aikidoka walks into the bar he would come up to me and my friends, interrupt our conversation, and start telling us how he feels like water and that we should join his religion. They will fold when they have to fight another MAist. I happen to like joint locks, but the way aikidoka talk, I just want to roll my fucking eyes and punch them in the goddamn stomach and tell them to man up and do a real MA.

Frigging aikido. They are the vegans of the martial arts world.
>>
>>2695404
>you take a swing
>flow like water and use your own strength against you

nothin personnel, kid
>>
>>2695264
>Sparring is exactly the same thing as fighting except with less risk of injury
lmao
>>
>>2695429
it is. Catch a heel hook in sparring, let it go
catch a heel hook live, twist it half an inch further. Its the same exact shit
>>
>>2695404
Maybe its because the aikido people I know have also done other stuff but I dont know any like you describe.
>>
>>2695460
Catch a punch to the face in sparring, shake it off
catch a punch to the face live, it's 10x harder
>>
>>2695460
No its not, I dont pick fights cause even if you win you could get in trouble, I know plenty of guys who have done both and to them sparring is just training.
>>
>>2695478
and? getting hit in the face really hard doesn't make you better at getting hit in the face really hard, in fact it makes it easier to get knocked out the more it happens to you
>>
>>2695491
It's a lot harder to dodge a punch coming at full force, and even harder still to dodge the follow-up if it lands. Sparring will never prepare you for that you double-nigger.
>>
>>2695526
that's entirely incorrect
>>
>>2695526
I'd trust in MT/kick helping with head movement and parrying.
>>
File: 1495201322385.jpg (12KB, 280x216px) Image search: [Google]
1495201322385.jpg
12KB, 280x216px
>>2695478
>>2695460
>>2695429
>>2695526

Sounds like you guys spar like bitches then.

if you use any protective equipment youre fucking fag

the key is to tell your partner to go at 20%, then you right cross him in the face four times with all your might. When he wakes up and your teacher is upset, just say that WAS your 20% and that you're amazingly fast and strong and that your opponent was just a huge fucking pussy.

you should have a third or fourth degree black belt by the end of class depending on your teachers own belt level and how hard you hit the other person

bonus points if its a kid or a girl
>>
>>2690763
Yeah nice theories there you fucking expert.
How many fights have you had?
>>
>>2695429
Nah, all the injuries happen in sparring.
>>
>>2695491
Oh fuck off yes it does.
You develop your chin and get tougher through training, thats what training does.
The best fighters around dont just get in there with god gifted chins of steel, they train and learn how to take shots.
How many fights have you had?
>>
>>2695570
you're a fucking idiot who doesnt know shit about combat sports lmao get the fuck out of here
>>
>>2695275
HAHAHA wank into your own mouth a little harder you fucking idiot
>>
You know how to beat inexperienced people you just need roundhouse punches and kicks?
Is there something similar for BJJ?
>>
>>2696683
A set of directions to the nearest judo school

>>2696445
You act just like he does
>>
>>2696435
punches with no heat on them can not only be thrown faster but also strung into longer flurries with much less cost to stamina
this is the entire principle behind opening people up with jabs to set up power shots. Because power shots come slower and with a higher cost

do you even know how to fight?
real fights are much slower paced than sparring, don't pretend they aren't
>>
>>2696431
this is just wrong
getting punched in the head over and over doesn't make you more resistant to punches the same way shooting yourself over and over doesn't make you resistant to bullets

it's not like a toxin your body can built immunity to, it's blunt force trauma and all the science shows the more it happens to you the more you are susceptible to it in the future
every concussion happens easier and with less impact than the last
>>
File: EcoLIk6.jpg (83KB, 852x637px) Image search: [Google]
EcoLIk6.jpg
83KB, 852x637px
>>2694549
He's not too far away. It's just an obvious attack.
>>
File: camel.jpg (32KB, 460x400px) Image search: [Google]
camel.jpg
32KB, 460x400px
>went to a festival yesterday
>feel like a used kitchen rag but still go to BJJ
>rolling with raglike intesity
>basically allowing people to do shit while I remain limp
>friend is setting up x-guard
>see he's leaving his far side arm exposed
>go full sack of patatoes mode and fall across his body on his arm
>tap him through his x-guard
>do it again a minute later
>repeat with wrist lock finish 30 seconds later
>mfw

I love trolling people with freak submissions. Remember kids, it's actually control before submission rather than position before submission. :3
>>
>>2695385
>Sparring and competitive fighting are different in the same sense messing around with your pet dog and defending from some wild stray dog are
Depends on the art, the gym culture, the sparring goal.
Try playing with a mad american staff and fight for your life with a mirco-dog...
>>
>>2695206
Not in gi. Learn to do an armbar properly.
I use it in nogi though.
>>
Is this what bjj is like?
>>
>>2697809
Uke could shrimp right out of that

But yeah basically
>>
>>2697039
SLOWER PACED
Hahahaha you're a crack up mate
You've never had a fight in your life.
Train your body to punch fast and hard, if you dont have that level of competancy then you should be fighting at all.
Talking about a slower pace in a street fight or organised bout is just plain wrong.
What do you train? How many fights have you had?
>>
>>2697052
Dumb analogy is dumb.
If you'd actually go do some training youd see that you're just talking out your arse.
>>
>>2697913
I'll just wait for you to provide anything indicating getting hit in the head makes you more durable and less prone to getting knocked out. Since every study done on the matter says exactly the opposite
>>
>>2697912
I just want you to stop pretending real life is anime

"sensei I'm sorry but I have to go all out HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
-literally you right now
>>
>>2697809
>QUALITY!

Did the green haired guy got his left arm chopped or something?
>>
>>2697929
Hahahahaha what cunt its a fucking fight why would you not go all out to win the fight thats fucking retarded.
If you cruise in a fight you'll just fucking loose lmao
>>
>>2697967
lose*
Furthermore, why would ANY respectable experienced coach put you in the ring if he didnt think you had the sand to get in the ring/cage and give it your all \.
>>
>>2686583
Have any of you experts on this thread actually had a fight?
Organised bout preferred, street fights accepted
>>
>>2697809
>Is this what bjj is like?
Homoerotic? Yes.
>>
>>2697989
I just went to a tournament last month. If you could call it like that.

You see, it was under these dumb rules about no punching the head, neither low kicking, only into the chest and so. I lost on the first round. I still feel cheated, because I saw like a dozen opportunities when my fist into the opponent's face would have ended the match, or at least gave me some edge. At very least, would have stopped that guy from crouching in front of me and flapping his arm with no regard of his head.

Yeah, maybe the opponent could have punched my face, but in the previous place I used to train under full contact rules, I had been literally KO'ed during sparring. I know what's to lose to someone who is bigger, stronger and more skilled, and have no problem with it. Losing to this guy who was almost rubbing his head against my gloves because some bs (lol, you graze his face again and you dq!) is just triggering.

/blog
>>
>>2698063
hahahaha what kind of tournament?
doesnt sound like any sport ive heard of
>>
I'm interested in learning to box, but I'm worried about brain damage since my job aptitude is based on my mental ability.

How much of an issue are concussions and brain damage at a hobbyist/amateur level?
>>
>>2697967
because being a spaz and bouncing around swinging with everything you have like a retard isn't how you win fights. that's how you get tired in 30 seconds and guarantee you're going to lose
>>
>>2698159
Woah Woah Woah there

Dems fighting words
>>
>>2698109
Anon is talking about your average semi-contact or point based fight.

https://youtu.be/sZeJi8syF0w
https://youtu.be/uJGT_DgkcSU
https://youtu.be/k983FgJztNk
>>
>>2698141
Im a full time uni student and amateur boxer with 7 full contact fights under my belt in the last year. After a hard sparring session or whatever yeah you can be a little punch drunk but it does after an hour or so. I know heaps of blokes from my gym who have boxed competitively for years who are sharp as hell and hold office jobs.
Long term damage is something that develops over many years of training and usually hundreds of fights, but if you're smart and work within sensible confines youll be fine. You're not gonna get brain damage from sparring one or two times a week.
>>
>>2698254
If you enter those kinds of competitions and get salty because of their limitations then you're a goob anyway lmao
>>
>>2698159
You have me in stitches bro
You are naive to the point of total comedy.
I never said anything about bouncing around like a retard or swinging with everything you have.
If you dont dig deep in a fight and push until the bell and do your best to do damage with precision, speed and power then you're not going to win the fight. You're not gonna hurt your opponent and the judges arnt going to give you any points. How many fights have you had?
>>
>>2697989
I'm a hardened street fighter.
I've had more fights than I can remember, I've killed more people than I can keep track of.
Boxing, Kickboxing, no holds barred, weapons, I've done all of it.
Be it pre-arranged, friendly, or someone trying to fuck me up, or me trying to fuck someone up.
I know what it feels like to take bare knuckles to the face, I know what it feels like to stomp a nigga's head into the concrete.
I know what it feels like to break a nigga's legs with a baseball bat, I know what it feels like to get cut.
Only the hardest niggas can roll with me; I'm cool with all kinds of people, but pussy ass niggas just don't survive in my world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ24PzCjvQ8&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>2698291
>>2698141
The long term damage is already there, you just don't notice it too well until it adds up.

One good technique cross to your head, and you've already got brain damage, it's just relatively minor brain damage.

Getting punched in the head is not good for you, period; getting punched in the head for 2 min twice a week for 2 years might not be as bad as getting punched in the head for 10min twice a week for 15 years, but that doesn't mean that it isn't bad.

Saying that getting punched in the head isn't bad because it's only two times a week is like saying getting stabbed in your calf isn't bad because getting stabbed in the heart is bad.
Getting stabbed in the calf is bad, it's just not as bad as getting stabbed in the heart.
By the way, some people like getting stabbed, so it wouldn't even be bad in some cases.
>>
>>2698398
1+ fucking lost it
>>
>>2698141
>at a hobbyist/amateur level?
Just get to a place where they don't idolize hard sparring and you'll be fine. The olympic boxers can get hundreds of fights against really good guys and do fine.
>>
>>2698415
Your analogies continue to be horrendous.
Never said getting punched in the head isnt bad for you but fuck man everythings bad for you.
Its the risk you run, if you dont think its worth taking then combat sports arnt for you hey.
Getting hit is a part of the game, and the people who think getting hit in the head is the worst possible thing to happen to someone obviously havnt experienced it themselves.
You're more likely to be injured or seriously concussed or receive brain damage playing rugby.
>>
>>2698453
Thank you, logical person.
>>
File: aj pedro essey mad.png (107KB, 711x803px) Image search: [Google]
aj pedro essey mad.png
107KB, 711x803px
>>2686608
this is WWE board so fuck off joe
>>
>>2698458
Do you think that perhaps maybe you cold have potentially misinterpreted my post, possibly?
>>
>>2698305
nigger you have no idea what you're talking about, I'm convinced you're trolling at this point and just pretending to be an internet tough guy

you've so far expressed that you have no understanding of traumatic head injury
no understanding of basic mechanics like knowing strikes with less power behind them can be thrown faster than strikes full loaded
no understanding of basic principles like how you need to mix heavy shots behind quick ones to save energy and create the openings slow knock out shots need to connect
and you believe in fictional things like muh guts and SPIRIT!
better attack with everything I have because I wouldnt want to give you a chance to charge up your chi before you attack!

people who are good at fighting are relaxed and pick their shots
"speed and power" are physical crutches people need to use when they aren't good technicians. So if you want to burn yourself out in under a minute and just make yourself easy pickings then go right ahead
>>
>>2697989
I won a BJJ tournament today :^)
>>
>>2698570
Hahahaha
Mate you obviously have no idea what its like to be in a fight so dont go telling me i dont know what im talking about.
If you hit someone with a shot that doesnt have speed or power then how the fuck are you going to stop them from coming at you. Do you think you're gonna drop someone with one shot from what ever kook martial art you do. Tell me what discipline you are going to use when someone who trains twice a day every day comes at you trying to take your head off
Seriously no bullshit, im genuinely interested what your discipline and training is.
>>
>>2698644
Nice!
What weight/belt?
>>
>>2698735
White belt, 145-160 (I'm 147).
>>
>>2698740
Awesome man congrats, whens the next one?
>>
>>2698742
June 17th
>>
What does /asp/ think of the US army modern combative programs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jm_ER_38e0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQify8hg8H0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSfXKRvQ60
>>
>>2688360

And that is why you don't lean forward for a double leg.

Also he should have closed the distance with a feint punch. They weren't at infight distance yet.

Miserable overall fighting strategy.
>>2698570
>>2698734

You are both correct.

It's good to relax and pick your targets.
And it's also good to not be overly tactical (like in a match) but go full force when you have chose to attack.

Now shake each other's hand and be nice.

Not yet another "yo, fite me irl, m8" thread..
>>
>>2699290
Or start a years long blood feud.

BLOOD FEUD
>>
>>2699323
When I win my match I'm gonna get a tattoo of an animal kicking out another one to show my martial arts. Because I need a spirit animal

It'll be a snake using a choke kick on a octopus GAZELLE hybrid
>>
>>2697989
Competing in Judo several times a year (needed points for muh black belt exam, got those quickly, but still competing), and occasionally in BJJ as well. BJJ tournament fees are retarded.Doing fairly well at local level.

>>2698644
Congrats anon!
>>
>>2699082
First fight of first vid is a pretty fun exhibition of Gracie Jiu Jitsu basics
>>
>>2687472
I like flashy fights so I'd do MT. Striking is god tier in showing people not to fuck with you, especially if you can break a few bones in the person
>>
>>2698734
>If you hit someone with a shot that doesn't have speed or power then how the fuck are you going to stop them from coming at you
what are you even trying to say? you don't meet force with force. If someone is coming at you straight down the pipe you use lateral movement. You're the delusional one that thinks you're going to consistently pull off a 1 punch knock out if you're going to slam right back into someone who's coming right at you
>here he comes with everything he has
>ah, sensei, it's just like you taught me, now to respond with my ultimate attack, I'll put everything I have behind this one!
>yes! my fist connected, this is ove-
>WHAT HOW IS HE STILL ATTACKING!?!?! AHHH HE HAS MY LEGS AAHHHHH!!!
-literally you once again

second, its weird you change your tune to saying "speed OR power" when originally you were ranting about speed AND power, until I told you that isn't how it works.
Remember, the whole point of this was because I said sparring is faster than real fighting.
and why is sparring faster than real fighting? because people aren't loading up as much into their techniques so they swing faster

Then you went full retard and started suggesting full power strikes not only can be but ARE faster than strikes with less juice behind them.
You changed your tune because I imagine by now you probably looked up some videos explaining why you're wrong, and now you just continue to try and deflect.

>>2699290
No. he's wrong and he's a faggot
see above
>>
>>2696190
kek
>>
>>2699082
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jm_ER_38e0
>U.S. Army Combatives Championship
Didn't even watch the first 20sec yet and it's already interesting.
>>
File: Brain-Trust-Infographic.png (252KB, 640x366px) Image search: [Google]
Brain-Trust-Infographic.png
252KB, 640x366px
I've been talking to my MA teacher and a buddy of mine and we were thinking about opening up a new school since ours closed. You guys are the smartest people I know and my adoring fans, and i know when you /asp/ies call me a faggot you really mean that as a term of endearment and support for my sexuality.

SURVEY TIME

>1) Your MA
>2) How much your school charges students, and for what
>3) How many hours your teacher spends at the school a week
>4) How much your teacher pays in rent (if you know)
>5) How much would you pay to learn Judo/Hapkido/Chess Boxing from THE Dr. Fattius P. Cobra?
>6) Okay, fair enough, but what if there were two other guys who were actually qualified BBs in Judo and Hap?
>7) You get $10,000 from a nonprofit to spend on gym improvement. What do you buy?
>8) What, in your opinion, is the most profitable thing one could teach without being a McDojo?
>9) Do I have to McDojify to turn a profit assuming I only had to pay myself and one other instructor?
>10) What seems to make people at your school quit?
>11) Briefly describe your ideal school's general vibe
>12) You become the grandmaster of your art tomorrow. What pet peeve do have about your school that you would change, if anything?
>13) You own a martial arts school. What is the one thing you would NEVER do? What would you DEFINITELY do?

pls respond
>>
>>2702785
Muay Thai + BJJ
$180 CAD/mo, $150 for one, + $30 for the other
30-ish
$1000 I think
$50
$80
Mats
Muay Thai + BJJ
No, and you can probably get away with just giving the other instructor free use of the space if they don't teach as much
They suck and get frustrated/are autism
Relaxed, we hang out outside of the gym sometimes
Put Muay Thai sparring and BJJ open mat on different days
No contracts, they're good motivation to keep coming - start a class for children
>>
File: keri-waza.png (38KB, 750x504px) Image search: [Google]
keri-waza.png
38KB, 750x504px
>>2702870

Extremely helpful, top quality opinions
>>
>>2702785
>I've been talking to my MA teacher
>we were thinking about opening up a new school

If you don't figure out why the old school closed, opening a new one won't get you anywhere.
>>
>>2702369
It's a sound system for learning basic skills, but the amount of self wanking circle jerking going on is on par with aikido, wing chun, and the self defense systems you'd see advertised in the back of Boy's Life magazine.

In the mid 2000's, as a sankyu in judo I was able to run through everyone in my company regardless of size, including the instructors. When this tournament came around, my requests to participate were ignored.

That being said, army combatives are primarily about building "warrior ethos" and esprit de corps.
>>
>>2703186
Are we sure that's Mae geri
>>
>>2699624

>First fight of first vid is a pretty fun exhibition of Gracie Jiu Jitsu basics

Ten seconds and one guy pulls guard.
Color me surprised.

>>2702785

>1) Your MA
Judo and Filipino martial arts

I think together it's somewhat about 70 Euro, IIRC.

>3) How many hours your teacher spends at the school a week
About 6-8 hours.

>5) How much would you pay to learn Judo/Hapkido/Chess Boxing from THE Dr. Fattius P. Cobra?
>6) Okay, fair enough, but what if there were two other guys who were actually qualified BBs in Judo and Hap?
I'd say 40 euro/dollars for Hapkido OR Judo.
And 60 for training in both arts.

>7) You get $10,000 from a nonprofit to spend on gym improvement. What do you buy?
For Judo and Hapkido:
7000 for nice mats.
1500 for Hapkido equipment (flashy weapons)
1500 for a few medicine balls, kettle belts, skipping ropes, and stuff like that

>8) What, in your opinion, is the most profitable thing one could teach without being a McDojo?
I would pay for stuff that's exiting, for example a teacher from somewhere far away. Or a long weekend in a cheap hostel with cool Hapkido techniques all day long for your students.

>9) Do I have to McDojify to turn a profit assuming I only had to pay myself and one other instructor?
No, just get a cheap location and share the space with other groups.

Nothing in particular.

>11) Briefly describe your ideal school's general vibe
Friendly teacher, hard working students.

>12) You become the grandmaster of your art tomorrow. What pet peeve do have about your school that you would change, if anything?
Introduce full contact sparring in Filipino martial arts. Judo is fine.

>13) You own a martial arts school. What is the one thing you would NEVER do? What would you DEFINITELY do?
Never be disrespectful or dishonest towards my student, always encourage them to try new things.
>>
File: 1496129112460.png (835KB, 899x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496129112460.png
835KB, 899x600px
>>2703186
Hey fatty

Be in the gym at 9 am and don't leave until 9 pm. Conduct all buisness from your office. Invite people in. Man the gym even during non class hours.

Don't treat it like a goddamm side job that ticks me so the fuck off when I see people doing

In unrelated news, what martial art turned this guy into a killer?
>>
Can anyone recommend some good martial arts based reading? Line something about theory or history of MA.
>>
File: 1493861454241.png (813KB, 595x597px) Image search: [Google]
1493861454241.png
813KB, 595x597px
okay lads, what martial arts you want in UFC3!?

i have this list of martial arts who would be fantastic for our career fighter on UFC3!

striking:
boxing; start with more punches, their clinch is better and have dirty boxing, they also have the second best striking defense (movement, counters, etc.) and they start with better defensive wrestling that other styles, they are good in boxing distance and in the clinch thanks to dirty boxing.

kickboxing; start with good punches and kicks, primary based on dutch kickboxing, their clinch is better than other striking styles but worse than others, their movement and defense is bad, they are good in boxing distance and kicking distance.

muay thai; elbows, knees and best striking clinch, they are good in kicking distace, boxing distance and in the clinch, in fact they are more dangerous in the clinch, their movement sucks and their TDD defense could be better, best offensive strikers in the begging.

savate; good kicks and punches, good combinations, good movement and good keeping distances, they start with the oblique kick, perfect to keep distances, compared to other combat sports they are better fighting in the outside.

shotokan karate; is shotokan and full contact kickboxing mix, they have the best movement, they are excellent counter strikers and their outside kicks are excellent and their punch are good if not the best, their clinch suck though.

kyokushin karate; another good defensive style, their health is the best, and they are excellent in boxing distace, both their kicks and punches are good, and their kicks are fast and the best ones for boxing distance, they can made a punching combination and ended it with a closed, fast leg kick (like kickboxers) and or with a fast head kick, their clinch is bad though (kyokushin don't have clinch).
>>
File: pizzagate.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
pizzagate.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2703521

taekwondo; like shotokan they are good in the outside in kicking distance, the best kicks, they are based on taekwondo AND full contact kickboxing, lot of flashy kicks, they clinch is cancer and the worse clinch, good movement in general, best kicks but worse punches for strikers.

sanda; best takedowns in the striking category, good lateral kicks, lot of kung fu influente (after all sanda is competetive full contact kung fu without the shit who don't work from kung fu), basically the kung fu for UFC3! because is the only kung fu who works, good clinch, best striking takedowns, bad defense but good defensive wrestling.

striking; a mix of kickboxing, boxing and muay thai, the mma of striking!, they have not bad defense, not bad offense, not bad clinch, they have knees and elbows and their TDD is better than other styles, they are just balanced but focus on the striking.

grappling:
freestyle wrestling; best double leg, excellent TDD, bad submissions compared to other grappling styles but better than any other striking styles, best Ground and pound and good control in the top and down.

grecorroman; excellent clinch and throws, they can easily enter in the clinch and throw anyone, or they can control them in clinching in the cage, good GnP, worse defensive wrestling than freestylers, both down the math and in TDD.

Catch wrestling; excellent top control Groung and pound and excellent submissions, both chokehols (it seems modern catch wrestlers have a lot of choke holds and they practice them unlike historical catch wrestlers) and joint locks, they start with leg locks, arm locks and chokehols, overrall the best offensive grappler, but their defensive gappling when they are down is pure shit, they guard is bad and can be easily bullied if they are down a opponent.
>>
File: two great minds.jpg (34KB, 333x334px) Image search: [Google]
two great minds.jpg
34KB, 333x334px
>>2703541

brazilian jiu-jitsu; best submissions and best grappling defense, their guard is nasty and can easily sub someone in their guard or put some on a disadvantage possition, they also have better chokes than joint locks but they also have excellent joint locks even if their chokes are better, they don't start with leg locks, traditional brazilian jui jitsu is not a fan of them, their clinch and throws are worse than other grappling styles.

japanese ju-jutsu; a mix of judo and brazilian jiu-jitsu good throws, good top control and good defensive grappling, good sucks and they start with low level leg locks, but their arm locks and chokes are better.

judo; excellent clinch and throws, excellent armbar and good top control, bad defensive grappling and down control, they also have nasty chokes aside of nasty are locks, not leg locks though.

sambo; excellent joint locks, both legs and arms, bad choke defense and choke subs, good in the clinch and good single and double leg, excellent in the top, basically judo + wrestling + leg locks - chokes.

submission wrestling; based on no-gi submission wrestling, best subs together brazilian jiu-jitsu but with more subs, both, leg locks, arm locks and chokes, excellent grapplign defense and defensive wrestling down, their clinch and takedowns could be better and their ground and pound is bad.

grappling; a mix of no-gi submission wrestling, freestyle wrestling, brazilian jiu-jitsu and judo, basically the mma of grappling! good ground and pound, throws, takedowns, top control and down defense, good TDD good sub defense and good sub attacks with arm locks, leg locks and choke holds. the equivalent front striking, basically a balanced mix of grappling.
>>
File: what joanna mean with this.jpg (164KB, 819x1024px) Image search: [Google]
what joanna mean with this.jpg
164KB, 819x1024px
>>2703577

and hybrids!

hybrids styles are just styles who mix of grappling and striking!

hybrids:

kudo; a mix of judo and karate, throws, subs and strinkings, punches, kicks, elbows and knees, basically MMA but on the TMA side and not in the muay thai/kickboxing/boxing/wrestling/submission wrestling side, they are more defensive than Jeet Kune Do and MMA, in both grappling and striking.

Jeet Kune Do; based on the teaching of bruce lee, have a lot of sanda and other chinese martial arts influente, mixed with judo, boxing, wrestling and sanda kicks, they are more offensive then kudo and MMA, both grappling and striking, like these two they good in grappling and striking.

MMA; master of none apprentice of everything, good everything, good defense, good offense, they have kicks, punches, elbows and knees, good grappling, thows and submissions, they don't start with leg locks who are rare in MMA, the same for the other hybrids styles, leg locks are rare outside of grappling competitions, they are basically a mix of wrestling, submission grappling, brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing, kickboxing and muay thai.

well these are the 21 fighhting styles who i want to our fighters carreer for UFC3!

think these styles are just for the beggining, nothing stops a takedown fighter to get good grappling or good punches!
>>
>>2702785
Shotokan 25 euros for 2 h/week (partly state funded by proxy)
Wing chun 50 euros for 3 h/week

35 for judo, 20 for hap

The thing that gets you most publicity

I'd tell you not making people put effort into it but it doesn't seem to bother the people at shotokan
>>
>>2703502

You can learn a lot from internet research. There are many good sites and even Wikipedia has a lot of informations. Basically if you want to learn about martial art history it's all about people. And nothing is like it seems..

Learn about Jigoro Kano who preserved JiuJitsu and created Judo from it and was a great fan of western boxing.

Learn about Maeda Mitsuyo, a Judoka who later created BJJ and wrote interesting theories about fighting distances that are relevant in contemporary MMA.

Learn about the rivalry of BJJ vs LutaLivre.

Learn about the old school rules of western boxing, how they banned kicks.

Learn about the linage of MuayThai, Bokator and Savate. And the weapons of MuayThai Boran, Savate Canne de combat and old school Karate weapons.

Learn about Mas Oyama, who trained WingChun and TeaKwonDo, Shotokan and Judo until he created Kyokushin, the parent of all contemporary full contact karate styles.

Learn about Funakoshi Gichin, a great person and teacher of the Shotokan system.

Learn about great Filipino fighters like Leo Giron or Angel Cabales, who fought for their life more than once.

Don't let me get started about medival european martial arts and sword fighting, the development from ancient blades to contemporary fencing.

There is a lot to learn.
>>
>>2703671
>Mas Oyama, who trained WingChun and TeaKwonDo
lol what
These are all wrong aren't they
>>
>>2703673

Like I said:
Nothing is like it seems.

If you want to be super pedantic, the styles weren't called WingChun or TaeKwonDo back then, but yes - that's what he trained when he was younger.

He was also a friend and training partner of the legendary Kimura, BTW.
>>
File: 1482474120147.jpg (18KB, 299x304px) Image search: [Google]
1482474120147.jpg
18KB, 299x304px
>>2703684
>if you want to be super pedantic, he didn't train in taekwondo, but yes, he trained in taekwondo
>>
>>2703697

Names can change, but that doesn't mean the style has to change.

For example "Karate" originally meant "China Hand" (= chinese fist fighting), because the Okinawa people learned Kung Fu from the Chinese.
But then japanese nationalism grew and they had to exchange the symbols, so "Karate" now meant "Empty hand" (=empty hand fist fighting style).

You wound't tell me that the old Karate masters didn't train Karate, because it had a differnt name, right?

The other way arround styles often change without changing their name. The Judo Kano created changed a lot during the first decades.

Also "old school" Muay Thai or Karate had weapons and even weapon katas (similar to kung fu), but they didn't have boxing punches.

Depending on the Karate family you can have absolutely no grapplign or a lot of takedowns and even basic Judo.

The name of a style means nothing, it's simply a name. Don't judge a book by it's cover..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm3ikyMzMlA
>>
>>2703823

To elaborate that last point:

Karate techniques changed AND the name changed, but those things were unrelated and didn't happen at the same time..
>>
>>2703823
>>2703840
You're fucking retarded, the word karate is just a rebranding of tode but it doesn't mean 1800s karate is equal to 1900s karate or that white crane-descending karate is equal to shaolin-descending karate, also just because someone copied your technique doesn't mean you're practicing their art.
We can say in the 1800s they did karate for convenience but it's technically false. Like you said it's also just a catch-all term for different schools, so using the word karate as a whole has even less of meaning.

Karate kid was made by people who had little idea of what karate is. Okinawan belts just reflect the nearest descendants to the master the style comes from, they obviously don't reflect potential results in MMA but they do reflect how they are viewed as performers from more important teachers. They are just relative because each style/teacher has a different view. I don't get how this is related anyway.
>>
>>2703673
mas oyamas highest rank was 7th dan in goju

kyokushin is basically goju stripped of grappling
>>
>>2704254
...and?
>>
>>2688931
Aside from the fact that he could have escaped easily, niggers are more confident when you are on the ground.
>>
File: 1493423759435.jpg (128KB, 1152x960px) Image search: [Google]
1493423759435.jpg
128KB, 1152x960px
>>2686583
Why does HEMA threads looks funnier than ours. Is it because of the nice pictures or because they don't take themselves too seriously?
>>
>>2704970
Because we're too different in interests, 1/8th of us does judo, 1/8th does boxing, 1/8th does muay thai etc. All of them do HEMA.
>>
>>2704988
Tbh it would also help if we had more dedicated posters. Before there were some fun little grappling and striking generals sometimes.
>>
File: put it down.jpg (50KB, 415x379px) Image search: [Google]
put it down.jpg
50KB, 415x379px
>>2688360
MFW he didn't even throw a punch to stun him in order for the takedown to work
>>
>>2703945

God, I'm a peaceful person and all, but why do people have to spout "hurr, you're fucking retarded!" because they can't take one minute to actually read and understand that post they are replying to.

History is complicated. Shall I we add Yawara and Koppo to the mix? Talk about the differences and similarities of Fujian White Crane vs. Karate and the history of the Cha/Sai?

I also have a contemporary version of the Bubishi, the techniques shown here look more like Judo or Krav Maga than anything else. And guess what? No belts here.

>>2704254

That's a gross oversimplification and not correct..

Kyokushin is first and foremost a philosophy, the style became famous because of the tough practitioners, not because he reinvented the karate wheel.

Oyama was already a black belt in Shotokan before he studied Goju. He became a 4th dan in Goju only three years! Back then it was pretty common to give someone a high dan rank if he was capable.

Also Oyama was pretty skilled in Judo, so why would he leave out grappling? It just wasn't what he intended.

Also he took the low kick from MuayThai, which was definitely not a traditional Karate Kick.

The historical "Kyokushin vs. MuayThai" match in 1964 where 3 Kyokushin guys managed to win two of three matches in the Lumpini stadion led to the ban of Judo techniques in MuayThai.

If you can show me a Goju Guy wrecking one of the top NakMuay's of their time, you can claim Kyokushin is basically "Goju stripped of grappling". If not.. well there is a saying in Kyokushin:
"Keep your head low, your eyes high and your mouth shut."

I respect Goju a lot, but I don't like people being disrespectful towards other styles.

>>2704970

>they don't take themselves too seriously

Tell a HEMA guy that fencing would give him cleaner techniques, better accuracy and faster reflexes (which is true, BTW) and see what happens..
>>
File: jaw breaker chelsa.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
jaw breaker chelsa.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>
File: jaw breaker gunnar nelson.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
jaw breaker gunnar nelson.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>
>>
>>2703354
What's the difference between Mae Geri and Mae Geri
>>
File: jaw breaker olveria.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jaw breaker olveria.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>2705333
I'm calling you a retard because your argument is insane

>Yawara and Koppo to the mix?
>history of the Cha/Sai?
Jesus what the fuck are you even talking about here

>the techniques shown here look more like Judo or Krav Maga
Again, saying that just because two styles have similar techniques they're the same is like saying that since two humans both have a left arm they're the same, I still don't get what the existence of belts has to do with this
>>
File: aDWeV8Z_700b.jpg (85KB, 700x921px) Image search: [Google]
aDWeV8Z_700b.jpg
85KB, 700x921px
>>2703192
>why the old school closed

We were in a REALLY small town, and the head instructor "retired". We basically closed down the school to force him out because of his dementia and we were too polite and afraid to ask a MAist with 60+ years of experience to just leave us alone, especially considering he lived a block away from our dojang.

Maybe I would consider going to my old town and starting a school once he passes, but I'm moving to the city and trying it there. Good point though.

>>2703354
you WILL summon him if you aren't careful

he can already feel a disturbance in qi flow from me even posting that infographic

>>2703379

>8)
Your answer to this one is cool, too many teachers have ego issues and won't let guest instructors run clinics or do retreats. That's something I would do a lot. I live near Mt St Helens and I'd do a summer camp up there.

>12)
Full contact FMA causes fatalities, bruh. I guess Dog Bros make it work.

>>2703397

>don't treat it like a side job

My MA teacher is an actual schoolteacher, so technically it is a side job for him but he doesn't TREAT it like one. Great advice.

>>2703665
>publicity

Do you guys think it's better to advertise a "household-name" MA like TKD or Judo or an "exotic" one like Escrima or Hwarangdo?

My school taught Hwarangdo but advertised "jujitsu" and "judo" on the door to get people in. Which I think is technically false advertising.>>2704970

>>2704970
>Why does HEMA threads looks funnier than ours

gonna have to start making OC again
>>
>>2705460
I think the name most people know is the one that's gonna attract most (wanted) attention, if you call it hwarangdo people will think it's a fucking nigerian dance course

If you call it taekwondo experienced people will think it's a mcdojo

Also of course it shouldn't be false advertising, if I go to a judo course I want to do fucking judo
>>
>>2690423
BJJ
>>
>>2699975
Well you've dodged the 'what do you train' question once again.
Yet you're telling me fundamentals of fighting when you havnt had any?
I dont understand the whole anime meme thing you're going on about because i dont watch anime.
You're picking apart my fucking sentence structure as an argument rather than the core...
Ha ha! I have you! You were talking about speed or power and now you said AND ha ha you are vanquished.
If you'd seen an elite bout of any sort or god forbid actually done some training aand aquired some first hhand knowledge you now that no fights can and often WILL be faster than sparring because you arnt holding back, you train speed AND power (lmao) and thats what you'll give in a fight.
'Watch a video' LOL i dont watch videos you baby i train in a fightiers gym 6 week.
Why the fuck would i watch youtube videos?
>>
>>2705955
6 days a week*
>>
>>2699290
Had no intention of making this a fight me irl thread i just think blokes who have no experience weighing in on these sort of things is a joke.
>>
>>2690763
cringe
>>
File: .pause.kotatsu.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
.pause.kotatsu.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
>>2702785
>1) Your MA
MMA from TMA (Kenpo Karate)
>2) How much
100/month on a student special
>3) hours
<= 6
>4) How much your teacher pays in rent (if you know)
wut
>5) Judo/Hapkido/Chess Boxing
gibe Free trail o i repot yu
>6) JudoHap?
25/mo
>7) 10,000 from a nonprofit
I run with the money to Mexico
Kids.
>9) McDojify?
>10) quit?
Schedules and disagreements
>11) ideal school's general vibe
Chill, relaxed, maxing all cool, /
shooting some doubles inside of the school. /
When a couple of guys who were up to no good, /
start making trouble in my neighborhood /
gym. We get in one little fight and the milfs got scared, /
And said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bellaire."
>12) Pet peeve fix
Mandatory nail clipping
>13) NEVER? DEFINITELY?
Not have ice; sauna.

>pls respond
If I take away these responses, will you die?
>>
File: exploding knees.jpg (67KB, 600x1250px) Image search: [Google]
exploding knees.jpg
67KB, 600x1250px
>>2703204
>building "warrior ethos" and esprit de corps
So pic related?
>>
>>2695404
placebo effect
>>
>>2706328
fucking laugh riot hey
>>
>>2686583
Can anyone reccomend me shin pads for mauy thai? I don't want to buy junk but I have no idea what to look for and am on a budget.
>>
>>2705955
for real tho, I have no idea what the fuck you just said
also you took longer than 24 hours to reply so by the rules of the internet I won the argument already
>>
>>2707252
Fairtex are pretty much the standard.
>>
>>2707317
where are the official rules of the internet ?
i reported you to the mods
>>
>>2707317
Did i stutter?
Take your time and read it carefully.
My main point is, has been, and will continue to be that you dont know what you're talking about because you:
1) Dont train.
2) Have never had or been in a fight. (or sparred?)
3) Probably get your theories of combat off of you tube videos and 4chan boards.
If i am wrong, by all means, correct me.
>>
>>2703521
>>2703541
>>2703577
>>2703590
I've been meaning to set aside some time to read this, but it's so long that I've been reading it in chunks over the past few days, and I'm still not done.
>>
>>2705460
>My school taught Hwarangdo but advertised "jujitsu" and "judo"
Some places just have a big "Martial Arts" sign.
>>
File: juji drill 1.gif (2MB, 248x214px) Image search: [Google]
juji drill 1.gif
2MB, 248x214px
>>
File: juji drill 2.gif (2MB, 254x203px) Image search: [Google]
juji drill 2.gif
2MB, 254x203px
>>
File: jigoku jime.gif (904KB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
jigoku jime.gif
904KB, 360x202px
>>
>>
File: judo in the streets uchi mata.gif (1MB, 260x190px) Image search: [Google]
judo in the streets uchi mata.gif
1MB, 260x190px
>>
File: i'm from 2012.jpg (43KB, 373x456px) Image search: [Google]
i'm from 2012.jpg
43KB, 373x456px
So, storytime /b/

>helping dad clean garage in high school
>find 'gun box' (aptly named box where dad keeps ammo, mags/clips, etc.)
>dig around for schitzengigles/to find a box of birdshot for later
>eyes go full anime, develop poorly-drawn six pack, and have a five-episode flashback about my tragic angst past as I pull out two varnished pieces of wood on a string
>ask dad when he got 'nunchucks'
>"uh, remember that guy we used to do karate lessons with? we were in college together, gave them to me as a gift" or some shit
>"you can have 'em if you want"
>i bring my fist up under my chin and look off into the sunset with a confident smile, having a deep inner monologue about my big gay ninja journey

But for real, I've had these dumb things for years and I think it'd be fun to learn to use them, even if it's just for flashy tricks and shit. Are nunchakku a meme, or is there somewhere I can learn to not give myself concussions with them?
>>
>>2705412

>I'm calling you a retard because your argument is insane

Which argument and why is it "insane"?
Stop being a disrespectful little shit and say what your problem is.

>Jesus what the fuck are you even talking about here

Historical japanese martial arts.
The "Sai" is a historical Karate Weapon that came from Kung Fu, where it's called "Cha".

Google would have told you that in a few minutes of research.

>saying that just because two styles have similar techniques they're the same

Where the hell did I say that?
But you can find techniques like Kani Bazami or Tomoe Nage in the predecessor of Karate.

My point is fighting styles change constantly. Maybe today it's a different story because the rulesets don't change that much anymore, but some decades or centuries ago two people never had the same "Karate" or "JiuJitsu". Those terms are supperficial.

>I still don't get what the existence of belts has to do with this

It was a metaphor.

The essence of the movie scene is that the "true spirit" of Karate is not tied to externals like belts, just like fighting is not tied to names/styles, at least not when it comes to historical people.
>>
>>2707722

Nunchuks can be devastating (for example they are forbidden in my country), but they are very difficult to master.

In other words:
If you just "start swinging" you will probably hit yourself in the head and hurt yourself.

Please be careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWD0oNIdrwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFmJMhBVelA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7JHWOyYHos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULKjcebNJ_U

And then eventually it looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260mZt9rzJA
>>
>>2707851
my dojo used to teach nunchucks before I joined and the coach said he wants to bring it back, seems cool
>>
>>2707722
If you use them like you're supposed to, they're not that hard, if you swing them you need to practice slowly, expect to be hit in the balls.

>>2707851
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260mZt9rzJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT2aFC3B2Xk
>>
>>2707821
>Which argument and why is it "insane"?
The idea Oyama trained in tkd and wing chun.
How you say that since styles change you can use one for the other when it's the exact opposite
How you somehow think that since some techniques appear in two styles you can use both to define the same thing.

>The "Sai" is a historical Karate Weapon that came from Kung Fu, where it's called "Cha".
How is this relevant to the argument besides you being a pretentious idiot? I know what a Sai is, I expected you to be citing some completely irrelevant chinese names and I was 99% right

>Where the hell did I say that?
I questioned your first post and you came up with this as a response.

>fighting is not tied to names/styles, at least not when it comes to historical people
Then why are you attributing completely unrelated styles to Oyama just because he did something that also appears in them?
If you wanted to say he just did his own thing it would have been fine, instead you say he did everything.
>>
>>2708041

>The idea Oyama trained in tkd and wing chun.

The very first martial art Mas Oyama trained in was "18 hands Kung Fu", a old traditional fighting style that is pretty close to Wing Chun.

You might notice that there are "the 18 hands of Kyokushin" as well as the "18 hands of Wing Chun" today. But fair enough, let's say Oyama didn't train in Wing Chun.

He did train in Taekgyeon and Gwonbeop though, which are predecessors of TaeKwoDo. Of course Shotokan Karate later had an influence on Korean TaeKwonDo - as well as chinese martial arts. It's very difficult to draw a clear line here, because back then people always influenced each other and so there is no "pure" TaeKwonDo line or "pure" Karate. It's more that at some point rulessets were made, and of course differernt masters had a diffrent emphasis on fighting.

>How you say that since styles change you can use one for the other when it's the exact opposite

Are there fighting styles that are exactly the opposite? And where did I say you can use one style for another?

>How you somehow think that since some techniques appear in two styles you can use both to define the same thing.

Yes and no.
If you find a certain technique in differerent Styles taht come from the same geographical area they are often related, but not always.

On the other hand we have techniques like the Gedan Barai which are in every Karate style, yet we don't know what it was used for exactly. There are many theories, but nobody knows for sure anymore.

>How is this relevant to the argument besides you being a pretentious idiot?

That's funny because I was talking about this issue because YOU started pretentious name dropping here: >>2703945

>I questioned your first post and you came up with this as a response.

My point was:
Styles can change without changing the name. For example how Fusen-Ryu influenced Kodokan to give mroe emphasis on ground fighting. That doesn't mean "BJJ = Judo", but they share techniques and ancestors.
>>
>>2707722
As an absolute master of nunchucku short of a phantom dog brothers Tkdbrah, I can say that nunchucku are best used thrown into the opponents eyes

Small concessions made for metal telescoping ones, those are pretty dank.

Just saying carry 3 or 4 pairs.
>>
>>2708362
Mine wasn't namedropping as it was part of my point.
What you're doing by saying "he trained in x" is legitimizing that x; when you say a good fighter in the 1800s trained karate, you're attributing that greatness to all of karate, when it really should just be attributed to 1800s x-style.

Of course Oyama training in shotokan doesn't mean shotokan works, but it means that it was part of what shaped him regardless, by saying he trained in taekwondo when he didn't you're attributing the same thing to TKD.

If he trained in TKD one could go "huh, maybe it's not that bad and the stigma it has is wrong" but that is not the case. If he approved of something with similar moves, all this shows is that the problems TKD has are deeper than just training x technique

When you're referring to something relevant for only a part of a style you just have to specify, or you'd be attributing it to the whole of it
>>
>>2708410
I support this tkd discussion so I'll continue to stay out but I'll post this

https://youtu.be/8Mew_OQJJfw
>>
>>2708421
This was already posted and he's teaching, not learning, looks like he's a guest since he's showing brick breaking for fun
>>
>>2708421
I really should mirror that file to prevent ads for then though. Fuck the itf
>>
>>2708426
The fact that he's teaching goes to show the similarities, and my bad, but I'd like to point out that it's also notable that given that general choi and mas oyama were personal friends but gen choi was a greenbelt at best and , personal conspiracy theory, a us gov asst.

It's possible that the itf moving to what it was made him ditch it. Perhaps he's helping out of pity
>>
>>2708410

I'm not convinced by your arguments..

Oyama trained in pretty much everything, because he wanted to become a great martial artist. But because he wasn't 100% satisfied he created his own style.

Kimura (some consider him the greatest Judoka ever) trained western boxing from a black dude from the US marine core. Just for the lulz.

Does this mean boxing had an influence on Judo and Kimura would have lost his match to Helio Gracie without his knowledge of boxing?
I do not think so.

Also there was a time Kung Fu dudes used to do full contact. Its not fair to downvote a complete style only because modern praticioners have subpar training methods.
>>
>>2708474
>Does this mean boxing had an influence on Judo and Kimura would have lost his match to Helio Gracie without his knowledge of boxing?
No, it just means he, as a good martial artist, found value in learning that specific boxing. This just tells us he didn't find it illogical, unnecessary, impractical or whatever.

>there was a time Kung Fu dudes used to do full contact. Its not fair to downvote a complete style only because modern praticioners have subpar training methods
You can (and should) just specify what kung fu you're talking about, if you say kung fu is good because it used to be, that's also wrong because the modern one is different, you're putting everything in the same box, one should do that only if he feels the statement encompasses all of a martial art.
You always see people saying full contact karate good, point karate bad. Putting them together instead and saying good or bad for both would be very misleading
>>
>>2708524

Well, nobody can say what skills the mysterious teacher of Oyama had, he was just a simple worker on a farm. Neither do we know if the historical korean martial arts were important for his style or not. AFAIK Oyama treid to be as japanese as possible, so naturaly he wouldn't want to boast with his chinese/korean martial arts knowledge..

>full contact karate good, point karate bad

Depends entirely on the goals. I can live with both, but full contact does make you a better fighter. If only because people will train harder to avoid getting their ass kicked.

But historically there were a lot of "full contact" fighters that did teach semi contact or non-contact fighting.
And there are guys like Oyama that learned a non-contact fighting style and turned it into a full contact martial art.
>>
>>2708536
Well, at least we can talk about the ones with clearly defined rules, honestly I've seen some exceptional point-sparrers that take it very seriously and have the intent of doing damage yet don't make any contact, but I don't know how they'd fare against someone who actually fights
>>
>>2708574

I'm not saying a great point sparring martial artist could kick someone's ass in a street fight. Generally street fights are "easier" from a technical point of view and it's more about the psychological aspects.

But when point sparring dudes enter full contact they usually don't do very well. The body mechaniques are just too different, a snap kick is fast and can work in a real fight (as nutshot), but against a prepared fighter in a full contact match it just won't work.
Or a full contact low kick looks clumsy, because you have to lean in more as for a simple "tag game" kick.

And on the other hand full contact also means preparations for full contact, withstanding a power kick is something you need to train. It's a differnt technique and you need more muscles than a simple blocking slap in a point sparring match..
>>
>>2708688

Sorry, I meant:
"I'm not saying a great point sparring martial artist could NOT kick someone's ass in a street fight."
>>
File: jones spear hand.webm (417KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
jones spear hand.webm
417KB, 720x404px
>>
File: flipping spinning ball stomp2.gif (2MB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
flipping spinning ball stomp2.gif
2MB, 500x278px
>>
File: nose-break.jpg (42KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
nose-break.jpg
42KB, 800x600px
>>
File: broke knee.gif (2MB, 273x352px) Image search: [Google]
broke knee.gif
2MB, 273x352px
>>
File: CMA.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
CMA.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
>>2686583
cuck
>>
>>2708718
>Dam Son.jpeg
>>
test
>>
Heyall
I'm looking at different gyms around town, undecided as to what martial art to go for. Thinking Muay Thai right now as striking is more interesting to me than grappling, plus the general energy behind it seems to be what I'm looking for.
Guy I'm looking at seems to be the real deal. Ryan Clark if anyone's heard.
http://www.clarksuniversityofma.com/muay-thai/ is the website. Going to check it out this week if possible, get the rates and shit which I hope to god aren't retarded high.

What do I look for/ask/do before I go?

also I'm skinny (though my legs are pretty built, skiing does that) 6ft, what should I do specifically to prevent injury?
>>
>>2708474
>Does this mean boxing had an influence on Judo
Unquestionably yes, boxing influenced judo. If you read the judo book written by Jigaro Kano he says that he directly lifted both the stance and fundamental footwork fromAmerican boxing.
>>
>>2709791
>What do I look for/ask/do before I go?
Pay attention to everything that happens, and then write/type down a detailed recollection and analysis of the experience.
Also, post and or tell us about the experience.

>what should I do specifically to prevent injury?
Just take care of yourself.

Always warm up, don't kick too high too fast when you're not flexible, don't over work your body, stay hydrated, stretch after exercising, let injuries heal if you get any, train smart.
>>
Anyone know the difference between white and black kung fu styles? Is it just south and north?
>>
>>2711413
White kung fu is for mall kids, black kung fu gives you 'the glow.'
>>
>>2711413
What do you mean by white and black styles? Do you mean internal and external/hard and soft?
>>
>>2711641
White tiger/black tiger, white mantis/black mantis etc
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.