[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: wing chun 1495481437333.webm (3MB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
wing chun 1495481437333.webm
3MB, 800x420px
Wrestlefags stop making so many shitty threads edition
Previous
>>2655003

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
>>
File: 1485574171631.jpg (157KB, 1258x1353px) Image search: [Google]
1485574171631.jpg
157KB, 1258x1353px
Every time you see a shitpost wrestling thread, remember to report it, so we can clean /asp/ one piece at a time!
>>
>>2681698
>>2681677
MMGAY faggots absolutely WORKED by B A S E D WWE. Ya ding-dong diddly seethin ya dweebs. Hit the weights. Have sex. Gain height. Take a shower. Get a clue.
>>
>>2681944
fite me irl fagit
>>
I have a few month until I want to take part in my first Judo tournament. Yay.

What are some good Judo throws for the first tournament?

Is it better to have one/two powerthrows or should I rather have one throw in each direction and train some funny combinations?

Also general advice about shiai specific training and preparations would be appreciated..

>inb4 "your tokui waza finds you"
>inb4 "just ask your sensei"
>>
I want to pick up Muay Thai but I'm worried about potential brain damage. How dangerous are striking martial arts like Muay Thai to the brain? I don't want to end up knocking off IQ points, I still have university to get through.
>>
Everyone hates the wrestling spam but it's mostly one guy making the threads. There's one particularly obsessive NEET who goes to the University of North Texas.
>>
listen up you fat faggot ass niggers
I need some new gis, but don't want standard colors. where can I get some cool colored ones
>>
>>2682248
Striking martial arts like Muay Thai fuck your brain up. Grappling martial arts like Judo can lead to you accidentally breaking your neck.
Martial arts in general are dangerous, especially Goju-Ryu Karate; most people get crippled during Goju training since it's just so hardcore.
The effects of getting punched in the head may not be too noticeable up to your first year of training or longer, but they are definitely there, and with each strike to the head you obtain, the more you've fucked up your brain, in one way or another. We don't know enough about the brain to know exactly how each punch and kick will effect each person under the various different circumstances.
However, Muay Thai and martial arts, especially when you fight someone, is fun as fuck. So, you can just have fun training and just spar with no head contact, if you value your brain so much.
Kyokushin Karate's rules don't allow arm strikes to the head, significantly reducing average trauma to the brain; however, there is still damage being done since kicks are allowed. Kicks to the head don't land as often, generally speaking, as punches to the head.
>>
ding-dong diddly gonna cry?
>>
>>2682225
>Is it better to have one/two powerthrows or should I rather have one throw in each direction and train some funny combinations?
Both.
>>
>>2682799
>most people get crippled during Goju

jesus kid, cite yourself
>>
File: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Training.jpg (125KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Training.jpg
125KB, 400x400px
>>2681944
>have sex
>take a shower
Obviously you've never been in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu locker room.
>>
>>2681698
As if that's gonna work. You're dealing with bottom of the barrel of society when it comes to the mandrama losers.
>>
>>2682835
SEETHING
>>
>>2682840
WITH
>>
>>2682840
When will you grow up?
>>
File: fist.gif (16KB, 262x301px) Image search: [Google]
fist.gif
16KB, 262x301px
>>2682809
just look at this drawing, it's a picture of miyagi senseis hand
his fingers were broken so many times he could not close his fist entirely. However even still he was able to rip flesh from bone with his bare hands
>>
>practice BJJ technique on concrete
>next day
>feels like I did Muay Thai shin conditioning on my spine

BJJ in a street fight is not a good idea.
>>
>>2682983
coach chris always says grappling on the street is a bunch of bullshit that will get you killed. Get to knee on belly and drop elbows, that way you can get up quick when his buddies run at you
>>
>>2682981
kek
>>
>>2681944
Regained 500lbs deadlift last week, did the squelchy 2 days ago, 6'0 so official King of Manlets, showered hours ago. Your turn Anon.
>>2682225
>good throws
The ones you hit in randori.
>Is it better to have one/two powerthrows or should I rather have one throw in each direction and train some funny combinations?
Ideal would be one or two power throws you can hit from anywhere: static phase, in motion, and as a combination.

Work on grip fighting(!!) and endurance as well as cardio.
>>
>>2682248
>How dangerous are striking martial arts like Muay Thai to the brain?
Not much assuming you don't compete.

A lot of Thai schools only do light sparring because a lot of the student's livelihood depends on them being able to fight, which they can't do if they got injured during training.
>>
File: identify thief throat punch.gif (688KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
identify thief throat punch.gif
688KB, 500x281px
>kid gets tied up
>head dunked in toilet
>he's still tied up in classroom
>falls
>hits throat on desk
>esophagus crushed
>he suffocates
>he dies

http://www.inquisitr.com/1716805/bullied-teen-dies-in-front-of-teacher-after-cruel-prank-goes-wrong-in-classroom-footage-goes-viral-video/

Throat punch is the ultimate technique.
>>
>>2682983
This is why you need to supplement takedowns and throws. Nobody in their right mind wants to go on the ground on pavement. My former BJJ instructor taught us Greco-Roman and Freestyle as well.
>>
>when you get hit with some big ol flippy throws and instead of hurting much the impact just feels cool as fuck
judo is so fucking fun even if I suck at it dood
>>
>>2681677
Can I have sauce on the webm? It looks fun, and I have been looking for some decent MA anime.
>>
>>2682225
Why wouldnt you ask your coach? Do you not trust your coach? Or do you not have a coach?
>>
>>2684260
maybe if your floors are nice
ours are tatami on quarter inch ply on concrete.
Might as well be playing on the fucking sidewalk

I look around at the judo players that have been at it for a while, all of them have their fingers and toes taped up, knee braces, fucked up shoulders, fucked up backs, and playing is nowhere near enjoyable enough for me to want that for myself. That's why I just go to jiujitsu class now. Judo is a mental illness
>>
>>2685335

We set our mats out on the hard floor of the community center's activities room, practiced on them, and then picked them up to put them away for years before they finally let us move into the gymnasium.

I realize most people's ukemi is shit, but if yours is on point, tatami on plywood on concrete is nothing. I've had students practice their rolls on hardwood just so they can really know if they are fucking up or not. Try it out; it's an eye opening experience for many.
>>
>>2682803

Hah!

OK Senpai, so I'll just be great at everything..

>>2683263

So I should focus on what I can do in randori?
This makes sense.

Kumi Kata, yes, we do a lot of that. But I'll try to get better until tournament..

Are there any recommended throws or can I just spam shitty Tani Otoshis and drop Seois to annoy the hell out of my opponents?

>>2685119

I have a good coach.

It's more like my club is pretty good and I'm just a shitty yellow belt, also most people from my group have done Judo since childhood, I started in my late twens. Judo is not my "primary" martial art, it's something I discovered late. But it's such a great martial art and I give my best and try to not be embarassing for the rest of the group.. ^^

Long story short:
I am afraid that my coach will laugh about me when I say I want to go to my first tournament.
Or he'll say I won't have a chance.

Yes, I know it sounds stupid.
>>
>>2685664
ouchi gari
>>
>>2685664
I started learning judo in my twenties as well. My coach was an olympic medalist. He encouraged me to compete as soon as possible.

More than ten years later and a moving across state lines due to work, I sit here now with fond memories of setting up those mats in that high school cafeteria.

If your coach makes fun of you for asking questions and bringing up the idea of a tournament, he is not a good coach or a good person.
>>
So I live in a godforsaken hole of a city with only a karate, muay thai and boxing club.
I'm a fucking newfag and dunno which to choose, I just want something to better myself and unwind, also I'm a tall boi. What would you recommend?
>>
>>2685800
MT.
>>
>>2681677
>Wrestlefags stop making so many shitty threads edition

I try to help non-wrestling threads out by bumping them, but I am only one man up against an army of autistic losers
>>
>>2685822
Seek sunlight
>>
>>2685824
Case in point
>>
>>2685826
Unironically worked.
>>
>>2681677
What anime is that
>>
>>2685826
ding-dong diddly worked
>>
>>2685800
Depending in costs, and style, I would suggest one or another. Quite probably most people here will vote MT and put karate at the end, but it doesn't have to be that way.

- Muay thai usually is the most popular here because they train hard, they spar hard and their techniques usually are very effective. The big problem is the cost. MT usually are among the most expensive places to train, I'm not entirely sure why. The only other place as expensive as MT are BJJ gyms.

- Boxing is almost guaranteed to be the best option, depending on your goals. Usually, box places are pretty cheap, they spar a lot so there's little to no room for bs, and most techniques can easily be applied to the street. However, their lack of kicking implies they will get demolished in any MMA match, and given how much they head hunt, brain damage in the long term is almost guaranteed. Still, a pretty fun sport to train and watch.

- Karate usually is a flip coin. Some karate styles incorporate throws and locks, but some are focused on kata and striking with minimal to no contact. In other words, it can go from well rounded catalogue of techniques, to just a bunch of BS with no better use than fancy choreographies.

As usual with this questions, my advice would be:

>Read OP, particularly the mcdojo link.
>Ask if the different places have a free class and take it to get a feel.
>Define what exactly do you want by training MA (from just for fun and being fit to made a career in the cage), check which school match your goals the best.
>Don't be a pussy or an asshole and have fun.
>>
>>2685097
Kenka Banchou Otome
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.