[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did they manage to get the reputatiom they have now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: pwg_icon.png (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
pwg_icon.png
12KB, 400x400px
How did they manage to get the reputatiom they have now?
>>
>>2631641
It's really inconvenient to actually watch their content so people think it's "elite"
>>
Running the same venue for over a decade and having much of their roster over the years poached by WWE. the fact that PWG regulars from the mid-2000s became WWE main eventers has been a huge rub for them, prestige-wise.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081119063640/http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/roster/
>>
3 hours of dangerous, stupid high spots just about every 2 months
>>
WWE didn't poach their roster??? what the fuck world do you live in, these guys are independent contractors, they go where the fucking money is. as they should. PWG did help breed and display these top indie talents some now WWE stars.

The got their reputation from top end indy talent faithfully returning to the promotion even if their going rate isn't met.

also great fucking crowds, great setup too.
>>
>>2631647
>elite
If by being elite, you mean keeping the unprofitable normies away and instead get the buy-in from faithful fans, yeah being inconvenient is a good thing. It's called building a sustainable fan base that won't pressure you to do stupid uncreative things just to maintain that fan base or make external stakeholders happy. In the future PWG can still live because their business plan has been solid since the beginning, unless of course if DVD players or streaming website can no longer be used.

It all depends on your strategy. NJPW didn't plan to go global, but now they want to start reaching for global fan. PWG won't change their "inconvenience" strategy perhaps because they believe they can still have a good margin without wasting extra effort. WWE wants to go public to reach for the annual "record revenue" but suffers huge loss of quality year on year, that's their prerogative.
>>
>>2631785
Imagine being this triggered by the word 'poach' to where you question what world the person who uttered it is living in, wee
>>
by being an underground thing in LA with hard tickets to get a-hold of, causing money marks and low key celebs to try their hardest to get tickets, causing wrestlers to kill themselves in front of them to do good merch sales.
>>
>>2631800

it's 2017, many companies are successful with a streaming model. it's not "uncreative" to do that, it's something that actually benefits customer outside of America who have to pay an arm and a leg for delivery.
>>
>>2631641
I believe it's the magic in the air
>>
>>2631829
Many are successful because streaming won't affect their creative decision i.e. booking. PWG will not be as successful with streaming, as their booking of talent will be constrained by legal stuffs.

Bottom line is PWG is still successful despite the potential of indie streaming (floslam is doing good I guess). So why bother to change? Maybe one day, but no need to do it now.
>>
I'm still waiting for Excalibur to announce Joshi versus The World Tournament this year as WWE gonna make it's Womens Tournament.

I know deep down he will pull this off
>>
>>2631704
This
>>
>>2631641
BOLA
>>
no one gave a fuck about PWG until that Bryan/Hero match, which is considered one of the greatest indie matches ever
>>
>>2631641
Sweaty nerds and ultra-smarks
>Wow, the tickets sell out in 1 octillionth of a yoctosecond. Must be a good show!
Zero-psychology spot-monkey circle jerk festival
>>
>>2633908
>sells out and utterly entertains the crowd
>somehow this is bad
>>
>>2631641
>reputation
Those indy nobodies can't even move out of that same rinky-dink American Legion post after all these years. They can't even make profits at any other venue.
>relying on DVD sales in 2017
Can it get any more small-time?
>>
>>2633910
Yes, a room full of drunk, overweight basement dwellers will have be entertained when they see indy nobody #478 doing a flippy thing. That is no grand achievement. As for selling out their venue, I've seen high school gyms with more people packed inside.
>>
>>2634065
Still don't see you problem? Are you forced to attend or something? If you don't like, don't watch it...
>>
>>2633783
When DBryD won the belt yeah? Honestly my favourite match of all time. Also things like Peligro Abejas.
>>
>>2633783
Is there a list of the greatest indie matches of all time? Genuinely interested.
>>
>>2634369
Mostly series of matches from different rivalries. Bryan vs nigel, bryan vs kenta, hero vs edwards, punk vs joe, punk vs hero, generico vs steen ect.

Theres more but thats off the top of my head. Throw a dart at any of those matches in their rivalries you will get quality.
>>
File: 1456492333438.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1456492333438.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>2631800
>>2631927
hey guy who runs PWG

gay nigger kike
>>
File: 1493000790836.jpg (7KB, 259x188px) Image search: [Google]
1493000790836.jpg
7KB, 259x188px
>>2631647
>Add to Cart
>Checkout
>inconvenient
>>
>>2631704
>3 hours of dangerous, stupid high spots
So it's like Raw?
>>
>>2634065
>Yes, a room full of drunk, overweight basement dwellers
lol celebrities regularly attend PWG shows.
>>
>>2634065
>Trying this hard
>>
>>2631641
Being the Cirque du Soleil of indie wrestling where everyone gets their trademark spots without any kind of heat behind them other than "wow looks so kewl, they're really athletic".

Not implying this is wrong though, they're giving their audience what it wants, and that same audience gave them their reputation
>>
>PWG manages to continue profiting off DVD sales
>WWE can barely turn a profit with a streaming network
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.