[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there room in WWE for superhero faces?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Or wrestling in general? I don't know if there's a place for the indestructible hero. (possibly extends to all generic top faces)

Fans turned on Hogan in the mid 90s because they were tired of the same thing.
When Bret Hart took top spot they turned him into the generic good guy and he began to fall
When Diesel became the straight laced top guy people didn't care about him. Whenever he was an asshole people started to pay attention again.
In Shawn Michaels first run, people were bored as hell whenever he tried to be the top good guy.
When The Rock was Rocky Maivia getting pushed as the next big face, it was completely dead. It took him being an asshole to get the people cheering. Come 2001-02 and The Rock had transformed into a generic face that people got bored of. All of a sudden he's doing his Hollywood Rock gimmick and he gets back over because he's such an entertaining prick.
Cena gets over as an edgy rapper, then when he's on top they take away everything that makes him edgy and fans can't remember why they liked the guy. Any time he gets to do something interesting in a promo all of a sudden everyone in the audience decides they want to cheer him again.

Superman isn't the same draw he used to be. Everyone wants Iron Man. Captain America had to get edgy to get over. Even new Superman got a more dark and gritty gimmick, and he's still struggling.
>>
That's the way Vince has always done things and it's financially worked out for him, but it makes for shitty TV, which he doesn't care about.
>>
>>2615869
>Everyone wants Iron Man

Batman and Spider-Man are FAR more popular than Iron Man.
>>
>>2615928
Batman and Iron Man can fill a similar role. Spider-Man isn't exactly a locker room leader, but sure. He does sell the most merch. Spider-Man is the loveable arrogant prick who makes fun of his opponents all the time. He's kind of a nerdy rock. Though, as a spot monkey he might be closer to AJ Styles technically.
>>
There is. But if you have a Superman face, you have to make story about him being Superman. Stop trying to make story about him not being all-powerful.

Let him be Superman, but make story about his opponents trying to find out what his Kryptonite is. They won't be succesful most of the time. Let Superman be on top, he is Superman, there is no need to try to excuse him being on the top. He is the best. He should be on top.

Roman could have been great champion, if he wasn't book like underdog. He is not underdog, he is stronger and tougher then anyone else. Stop trying to tell me he is underdog, he is all-powerful superhero. Tell me that story. And his opponents should be the most vile, the most evil heels. And let him loose sometime. And then he needs help of his friends to defeat the guy who has his kryptonite.

That could be fun to watch. But not this "how could Roman overcome this?!" when we know he always will. There is no doubt in my mind about that. And that is not fun.
>>
>>2615869
There's room for them, and it's great to have them around for PR purposes. I suspect that's why they always turn draws into boring vanilla "underdogs."
The problem is that they end up hogging the entire show instead of just taking a good portion of it.

It also gets a heel good heat if they squash a babyface. Like what Brock did to Cena.
>>
>>2615869
desu the current popular wrestlers will often always coincide character-wise with the most popular characters in superhero comics

Weekly Superman comics where he was pretty much a god who always won against the baddie were really popular in the days of Hogan's heyday.

The Attitude Era coincided with the release of a lot of comics with heroes that dealt with darker themes and who were flawed or anti-hero characters.

Now we've reached a medium between the two. People like heroes that have flaws and occasionally are beaten by a much more powerful foe. Also people love seeing heroes and villains team up now. See The Shield and now Kevin Owens/Chris Jericho.
>>
>>2616058
That would definitely be more interesting but, to do that, you'd have to treat it like it's a sport. Because that's a sports storyline. But WWE doesn't do sport, they do 'entertainment'.

That still doesn't necessarily fix the problem. You do that long enough and people will want to see them fall. You still can't have a long-term steady face, because the crowd will largely start to turn on them. But if they're open to trying new guys more often than they do now, it'll work fine. People pay to see them finally lose and invest in the guy who does it.

I think part of the success of the attitude was having multiple people laying claim to the top spot. It made it feel more competitive and less generic. You had Rock and Austin, and (to admittedly a much lesser extent) you had Triple H, Undertaker and Mankind underneath them.
>>
>>2616270
Of course people would come to see them loose. There will always be contrarians.

But I am talking mainly about having this fucking disconnect about story they are telling me and story I see in front of me. They are telling me about poor, valiant Roman Reings, who is fighting underneath and overcoming the odds. But what I see is Roman who has never ever been really almost beaten. And I see tough guy who can take anything they throw at him. I want to watch his opponents trying to take him down, not the otehr way around.
>>
>>2615869
There's nothing wrong with being a straight up good guy. The bigger issue is them winnin all he fucking time and getting constant pushes.
>>
>>2616323
Hence why I said superhero/indestructible hero faces. That kind of implies winning and getting pushes.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.