[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about him.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: bruno_sammartino_3.0.jpg (238KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
bruno_sammartino_3.0.jpg
238KB, 1600x900px
Longest reigning champ ever, nobody ever talks about him. What was his gimmick? Was he a good worker? Why wasn't he called out for not putting anyone over?
>>
>>2591715
Based Bruno fought an orangutan.
>>
>>2591715
>What was his gimmick?
He was really strong and Italian.

>Was he a good worker?
Not by today's standards.

>Why wasn't he called out for not putting anyone over?
Less his call and more Vince Sr. keeping it on him because he was hugely popular in the territory.
>>
How much footage of Sammartino's reign exists anyway?
>>
>>2591715
He sold out the MSG for years, so he can't have been that bad.
>>
>>2591756
He wasn't. He was over as fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko2-DqAiFWY

>>2591727
You can't compare it to today. Back then the move arms race wasn't even past closed fist strikes. Much more based on holds like amateur wrestling, but it worked for his time because no one was any the wiser.
>>
Tough Italian guy who was a hero to the working class Italian-American fans in the NYC area. It was so successful that when Terry Bolea broke into the business they tried to capitalize on it by presenting him as the same gimmick but Irish-American, hence the name "Hogan."
>>
Different era. People loved the dude, he sold out MSG every single time he was there. People came to MSG to see Sammartino retain his title, it was just a fact of life.
>>
>>2591778
Reading about stuff from the time and stuff like how Ivan Koloff's second rope knee drop was just this ridiculously devastating move that nobody kicked out of is pretty fascinating.
>>
>>2591931
>50+
>>
>>2591752
Quite a lot. Koloff taking the title is there somewhere.
>>
>>2591929
An ordinary dropkick used to be a match-killer highspot.
>>
>>2591715
He sold out MSG constantly

Vince SR's #1 draw for ages
>>
File: BULLSHIT.gif (630KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
BULLSHIT.gif
630KB, 200x200px
It's amazing to think that a bunch of people showed up for 7 years to watch Bruno retain, then one average night people are watching and he loses. The story of the being able to hear a pen drop really interest me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNngXluEkRk
>>
>>2593488
Based Ivan working the Amerifats.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>2591778
>the grand wizard of wrestling
>>
>>2591969
I've heard that's the biggest nuclear heat of all time
>>
>>2591715
>What was his gimmick?
Scrappy italian
>Was he a good worker?
Better than most at the time, actually wasn't afraid to get on the mat. Much better worker than, say, Hogan. Varied his offense a lot.
>Why wasn't he called out for not putting anyone over?
He put a lot of people over in the late 70s, early 80s, I believe, but not in the way we know today. Bruno would be booked as a draw and put on early in the card, usually against a Jobber, while younger guys went out and look strong after him by beating guys quicker.

Also fun fact - he was a manlet.
>>
>>2591974
>An ordinary dropkick used to be a match-killer highspot.

There's a world of sport video somewhere with a 17 year old Regal in a handicap match (where he starts with 1 fall in 2/3 falls match, not against another person) and the old quality bloke (name escapes me) takes him down with a simple dropkick, Regal sells like he's been shot.'

Now we've got choreographed gymnastics like Osprey where they are in 3 man tags and each doing somersault suicide shooting star presses for a 2 count.

I watch the old stuff and it helps me side with Cornette and the other old blokes, watching the crowd see it as a real match, what we call "heat" or "pop" isn't really anything more than people watching a sports match like they were watching a baseball or NFL game.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.