[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shinsuke Nakamura Says Japanese Wrestling May Need To Change

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

>One of the defining characteristics of most pro wrestling in Japan is how much more hard-hitting it is than the North American version. Much of this owes to the fact that the original major stars of Japanese pro wrestling have their roots in — or first achieved acclaim in — combat sports, the tradition of puro resu as a tooth-and-nail athletic fight is well-established.

>From the days of walloping gaijin like Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody through the “four pillars of heaven” in Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, and Taue, “strong style” has been a big part of Japanese wrestling’s international appeal. That tradition continues today, of course, in every promotion in Japan. The most notable practitioners of the style in New Japan (other than “everyone”) are Tomohiro Ishii, Tomoaki Honma, and Katsuyori Shibata. In the past two months, Honma has suffered a serious neck injury, and Shibata may or may not have suffered a traumatic brain injury that required surgery.

>Many fans have pointed out that the style favored by wrestlers like Shibata — with an emphasis on legitimate headbutts and strikes to the head and face — is probably not the best idea in this day and age, given everything we know about brain injuries.

>The latest person to agree with this line of thinking is none other than “The King of Strong Style,” WWE’s Shinsuke Nakamura. In an interview with Yahoo! Japan (helpfully translated by Chris Charlton), Nakamura explained that the latest rash of serious injuries in Japan might be a sign that there may be some changes needed in the art form.

>“Lately exchanging dangerous moves has become a trend in Japanese wrestling. With serious injuries happening, it might have to change, and wrestlers should look back and think about dangerous moves they do and the risks they take.”
>>
File: cry.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
The hell? How could you? You were the king of strong style.

wtf i hate nakamura now
>>
>>2585617
when a guy almost kills himself with a headbutt it's time to dial things a bit back.
>>
>>2585610
All he's saying is to stop doing these stupid headbutt spots

/thread
>>
>>2585610
>ugly
>skinny fat
>can only speak incomprehensible engrish
>doesnt know how to work a wwe match
>couldn't draw a dime with pen and paper

what the fuck were they thinking bringing him to the main roster?
>>
But Nakamura's best matches came precisely from that style. That's why he was one of the best. I hope that's just a mistranslation.
>>
He's just talking about not doing moves that are gonna make your brains explode.

Which is a pretty reasonable thing to say.
>>
uh oh the smarks hero is turning on them!
>>
Is that why they aren't calling him the King of Strong Style anymore? Is that why he's "The Artist" now? That's lame.

Way to go, WWE. Hiring a guy to take away everything that is great about him. Fuck.
>>
>>2585610
He's right though.
Maybe headbutts like Shibata's are cool and dandy from time to time, but spamming them on every match repeatedly is stupid.
>>
>>2585638
I dunno, he was pretty stiff and awesome in his Sami Zayn match, but maybe he has changed since then. I guess we won't know in a while, since they fucking refuse to have him wrestle a damn match until Backlash.
>>
>>2585649
I don't think they called him that yesterday and that's when they started going with "The artist known as".
>>
>>2585653
There's a difference between stiff and fucking retardedly dangerous
>>
>>2585653
Dude there's a difference between working snug and giving yourself a fucking subdural hematoma.
>>
>>2585658
>>2585661
But it's not like he made a comment specific to the Shibata headbutt. For all we know, he could be saying that shit like >>2585631 should change too.
>>
>>2585666
He said "dangerous moves". It's not too hard to guess the kinda stuff he's talking about. Headbutts, dropping people on their heads and neck, that kinda thing.
>>
>Top 10 Anime Betrayals
>>
>>2585673
In fairness, Honma was a fluke accident.
>>
>>2585610

> "The King of Soft Style"

BTW he's right!
>>
>>2585677
lol
>>
Working stiff is fucking stupid to begin with.

Everyone knows it's fake, taking a real shot isn't going to make anyone forget that.
>>
>>2586111

i feel like there's a balance that needs to be struck. too far and you may as well be a cage fight watching savage, not enough and you end up with fags like seth rollins looking like he's scared to touch another human being.
>>
>Nakameme says this
>Suddenly drops the KOSS nickname the same week
Makes u think
>>
>>2586111
No, but it'll make the action look much better
>>
>>2586160
This desu. Strikes need not be 'stiff', but just realistic enough to have me momentarily suspend my disbelief. It's hard to tell a good story otherwise.
>>
>>2586171
but its fake
>>
>>2586171
ur dads cunt is fake ya finna slapnuts
>>
>>2586184
meant to reply to this >>2586182
finna jackass
>>
>>2586188
ya finna gonna cry about it googoogaga redditboi
>>
File: literal murder on live tv.gif (2MB, 400x203px) Image search: [Google]
literal murder on live tv.gif
2MB, 400x203px
>>2586182
You're right. I'm sure wrestling would be just as fun if it always looked like this. I mean, it's fake anyway
>>
>>2586167
He's gonna turn back into the boring Nakamura from pre-2009
>>
>>2586205
Why even bother touching each other? Just have them stare at each other real hard to see who has the most powerful sight.
>>
It is fine they just need to avoid the head

Those kicks to Okada's arms/shoulders were vicious but mostly harmless
>>
Didn't the fact he was also dehydrated contribute to the injury?
I mean the spot is killer good but it shouldn't definitely be Burning Hammer tier rare, and it should definitely end the match one way or another. It's too dangerous to perform and not go into immediate medical attention. He took a Rainmaker after and that shit's stiff as fuck as well.
>>
File: f this company.gif (1MB, 200x155px) Image search: [Google]
f this company.gif
1MB, 200x155px
>>2585645
That's pretty much WWE's MO. Buy up all the competitor's talent so they can't use them and then waste it. Why is WWE considered "the big leagues", while everyone else is just backyard wrestling again?
>>
Hes got a point its not like we cant still have some stiff as fuck body shots but hell we've known for well over a decade to watch the headshots and possible neck injuries
>>
>>2585610
says the guy who's finisher is literally kneeing people in the face
>>
>>2586481
Inb4 he changes it to be some lame knee gutbuster.
>>
>>2585631

The hardest hit to the head in that clip was probably the other guy hitting the back of his head on the ropes when he fell backwards. Stuff was fairly stiff, but usually to the chest, arm or shoulder.

Shibata's dumb ass threw a legit head-to-head strike and is a fucking dumbass that got exactly what he deserved and wrestling is better off without him. The dumb motherfucker could have killed Okada, the guy who actually matters with that stupid shit.

Even if Shibata didn't end his own shit career with that, any promotion worth a damn would have fired him as soon as he got backstage over that.
>>
>>2585684

It looks like a fluke accident, but was preceded by years of these dumbasses dropping each other on their heads and necks. All that almost certainly weakened his neck, causing it to finally fail in a "fluke" that was really not a fluke and instead just the straw that broke the nip's neck.
>>
It's pretty obvious he's referring to this idea of wrestlers taking absolutely stupid individual spot risks.

It's one thing to be throwing "safe" hits that hit "safe" zones but done pretty hard.

It's another to be doing absolutely stupid things like a full on headbutt, diving over the ropes to deliberately and knowingly miss everything and land flat on your spine and drop one another intentionally on the head from the top rope.

He's basically telling them to stop being such fucking idiots trying to use dangerspots to get attention.
>>
>>2586205

>WWE soft style
>>
File: lLCDfv1.webm (400KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
lLCDfv1.webm
400KB, 400x225px
>>2586605
>>
>>2585610
>tfw reading this immediately after watching some Drew Gulag shtick on 205 live
I have a feel, but I have no idea what it is.
>>
>>2585631
Nakamura is good at making kicks look stiff, when they're actually not, i.e. he gets it
>>
Sort of takes the sting out a little when you remember that based Honma was injured do to a fluke botch in an other wise safe move.
>>
>>2585617
He is speaking the truth. You can still be stiff, but not dangerous in the ring to others and yourself.
>>
>>2586990
>Woman beater
>Based

Pick one.
>>
>>2586757
Based Big Dog mastering strong style in one (1) punch
>>
>>2586873
They ARE stiff. That's the point. And when he gets them wrong, he injures yet another wrestler.
>>
>>2587220

But he doesn't get them wrong, that's the point.
Neither does Shibata. Unless he does the headbutt.
>>
KINGURU OF STRONGU STYRU

>WWE gives Shinsuke money

I AM NOW DA ARTIST KNOWN AS SJINSUUKE NAKAAAAMURA
>>
He's saying what le Meltz said, you can stiff some parts of the body as much as you like but not head and neck, that's retarded. And of course WWE won't let him wrestle a strong style, I don't even know why are you so surprised that they waste someone.
>>
>>2587726
by the looks of the things WWE won't let him wrestle, period

when is he gonna get a match
>>
Is this WWE campaigning against NJPW? I admit Shibata suffered under his style but Honma got injured by a ddt because he caught his foot in the ropes. Nakamura knows this full well.
>>
>>2587861
Maybe he's talking more specifically about Shibata. I certainly hope so.
>>
>>2587738
He wrestled non stop on NXT and Smackdown house shows
>>
>>2588032
Yeah, but he's gonna go 7 full weeks on Smackdown without a single televised match
>>
>>2587667
I hate that he's being referred to as "The Artist Known As"

WHY? It's so fucking stupid. This shit would be a bad comedy gimmick 20 years ago when the Prince reference was relevant.
>>
>>2586205
This gif just really makes me appreciate how good Miz is at selling and how he is probably the best heel in the company right now.
>>
>>2588041
He's gonna have a match next week. They advertised it already
>>
>>2585617
What you've got in Japan right now is a generation of wrestlers who grew up watching Misawa and Kobashi and now want to emulate them, but take things even further.

The marks are in the ring, even in Japan.
>>
>>2586528
>the other guy
>>
>>2585631
Everything done there is very controlled and safe. Tana didn't feel a thing the next day.
>>
>>2586605
Miz is pretty much the King of Soft Style. Not that this is a bad thing.
>>
>>2588044
It's not a Prince reference

>>2588097
>implying anybody can harm The Ace of The Universe
>>
File: 1491974350769.png (86KB, 238x288px) Image search: [Google]
1491974350769.png
86KB, 238x288px
>In the past two months, Honma has suffered a serious neck injury
>Honma got injured by a draping DDT

I fucking hate people bringing up Honma in this discussion.
His injury has literally nothing to do with strong style or anyone being too stiff.
>>
>King Of Soft Style
>>
>>2585626
>sell childrens shirts
>>
>>2588165
There is a posibility that the injury was worse because his body was beat up due to his style.
>>
>>2585610
Based savior of NJPW burying shitty "stiff" wrestling.

Now that he's making millions by working a softer style while knowing he's gonna be able to live out retirement with his family in a mansion; he doesn't care about 5* matches by smelly weabs.
>>
>>2590438
Honma wasn't even a Strong Style guy baka gaijin

>>2590443
>thinks living in a mansion = "successful"

18+
>>
>>2585619
No shit he only speaks japanese
>>
>>2586757
If only could he be consistent like this
>>
This traitor needs to commit soduko since no one in Japan will take him seriously after he flops in the WWE.
>>
>>2586179
This is why they should go back to enforcing the closed fist rule.

Most can't throw a good working punch to save their lives and/or rely on them too much. They need to tone those down and focus on stuff that's easier or more plausibly worked.
>>
>>2590443
>savior of NJPW
There's a reason why no one ever called Nakameme, "Ace" droney.
>>
File: stan.png (197KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
stan.png
197KB, 440x440px
>>2590443
>Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody
>the “four pillars of heaven” in Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, and Taue,
>“strong style”
Literally stopped reading here
>>
SHITSGAY
SHITSGAY
SHITSGAY
>>
>>2585617
He's the king because he is good at doing it without killing people.
>>
File: CMAOk-AWwAEjxbH.jpg (33KB, 575x556px) Image search: [Google]
CMAOk-AWwAEjxbH.jpg
33KB, 575x556px
>>2592885
>Ace meme
>>
>>2594331
Durr
>>
>>2586757
this is just a straight up punch

what was he mad at
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.