[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Irrationality of doing Martial Arts for self-defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: Wat-is-Aikido-8.jpg (485KB, 4415x2925px) Image search: [Google]
Wat-is-Aikido-8.jpg
485KB, 4415x2925px
>practicing full-contact martial arts for self-defense
>guaranteed to sustain injuries in training
>chance of actually getting into a street fight are close to zero
>not realizing how counter-productive full contacting training is

The probability of getting into one street fight in the next 50 years and being injured is less half of 1%. And half of those encounters are easily avoidable if you just stay away from bars/drunks/night club scenes.

If you look at full contact martial art injury statistics the probability of getting moderately injured in a couple years of training is like 50% for boxing, kyokushin, muay thai, and grappling arts. The injuries are usually minor at first: cuts,busted knees, broken fingers, sprained ankles, staph infections, etc...but the longer you practice the more your chance of serious injury goes up, and if you ever enter full contact competitions to "really test yourself" the probability of injuries goes up like 400%.

So basically if you want to protect yourself and avoid injury the last thing you should do is train a full-contact martial art. If you do train it shouldn't be longer than a year or two, after that there is diminishing returns on the benefits you receive, you should be able to take on most untrained attackers already, so its not worth training longer and risking bigger injuries.
>>
>>2545357

the fight stats I got from doing a bit of math on this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5273256/Number-of-victims-of-street-fights-soars.html

>A total of 7,432 people were treated in hospitals in England in 2007/08 after either being hit, struck, kicked, twisted, bitten or scratched by another person.

7432 over a two year period, out of 53 million people. Hospital stats are more representative than police stats, since many people don't report street fights, but if they get hurt they will go to a hospital unless it's too minor.

the martial arts injury stats are just from memory, read an article last week
>>
File: meme magic martial art.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
meme magic martial art.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>2545357
Bitch, life is dangerous you know...
>practicing full-contact martial arts for self-defense
So and what, in civilized countries, most people don't bear weapons.
>guaranteed to sustain injuries in training
Life is dangerous you know, if you don't go search for your limits pushing your boundaries, you're a waste of time, space and oxygen consummed.
>chance of actually getting into a street fight are close to zero
There are an aweful amount of number of things that have a pretty close to zero chance of happening and that happen daily
>not realizing how counter-productive full contacting training is
Agreed, you're the one that imply that martial artists always train full contact.
>If you look at full contact martial art injury statistics the probability of getting moderately injured in a couple years of training is like 50% for boxing...
Retard look for the soccer statistic of injuries in low amateur divisions. You'll be suprised.
Yes you're a faggot.
That kind of faggot, .webm related.
>>
>>2547558
>There are an aweful amount of number of things that have a pretty close to zero chance of happening and that happen daily
>I don't know how statistics work
Getting kicked in the head by a power tripping middle-aged "sensei" will do that to people.
>>
File: 1408527562235.jpg (205KB, 1200x857px) Image search: [Google]
1408527562235.jpg
205KB, 1200x857px
>>2547592
A low probability doesn't mean it won't happen. This keep on happening each and every day. Proove me wrong, the burden of the proof is on you.
>Getting kicked in the head by a power tripping middle-aged "sensei" will do that to people.
Retards keep on training with retards. It is the natural selection.
Look for someone actually knowledgeable next time.
>>
>>2545357
Oh yeah better not lift or run if you want to be healthy too cause eventually you'll sustain a minor injury forget about risk and reward
OP is retarded
>>
>>2547814

false analogy. If your goal is to stay healthy and injury free you can do light/moderate lifting and running very easily. The health beneits will outweigh the costs.

it's not the same as full contact sparring or ma competitions. where the health costs outweigh the street defense benefits.

>>2547636

>A low probability doesn't mean it won't happen

even if it does happen it's still not worth the cost if all you care about is being injury/harm free.

the payout of full contact martial arts training isn't worth the cost if all you care about is protecting yourself from harm/street fights. Since you'll sustain greater and more serious injuries just from training than you ever will even if you get in 1 or 2 street fights in your life (which you most likely wont).

I think people who train for self-defense are actually training to defend their ego, getting beaten up on the street would demoralize them too much, so they are willing to sustain punishment and injuries in training to protect their ego/reputation/status.
>>
Many of us fought tooth and nail just to survive in school every day. It isn't something you can just let go of. Some of us didn't just sit there and take it when Jamal dunked on us or when Pedro tried to steal lunch money.
>>
>>2548495

>but I went to a shitty school

still doesn't make full contact martial arts rational for self defense, since it'll hurt you far more than any attacker on the street will if you ever get into a fight.
>>
>>2548505
Nobody actually goes full contact 100%, but retards.
Get this in your thick skull, you retard.
>>
>>2548824

>no one goes full contact 100%

they don't have to, regular training and sparring will injure you sufficiently.

Obviously if you compete in tournaments you go 100% and your rate of injury goes even higher, plus you have to train even harder, probably at 90% sparring.
>>
>And half of those encounters are easily avoidable if you just stay away from bars/drunks/night club scenes.

OP confirmed for shut-in
>>
>>2548855

stop being degenerate
>>
>>2545357

Yeah, martial arts for self-defense is a big delusion in most cases.

If it's merely a fist fight, it's probably mutual to some degree. Don't provoke or partake in the escalation.
If it's not mutual, they probably want your money or are looking to do a little more than just punch you, in which case, they're probably armed. If this is in a public space, this means that they have the drop on you with a weapon. Barring incompetence from the aggressor, you're not going to win. The only real counter to this is to never go anywhere without a group that's large and aware enough to negate the advantage of initiative, which is obviously a little unreasonable.
If it's one of those cases where the aggressor does not have the drop on you (a home invasion, for example), you can do a lot better than martial arts. Spend that money on regular trips to the shooting range instead.
>>
This is very clearly a bait thread, especially since the original poster used the same picture posted as someone else on the Martial Arts General, but I'll bite just for the sake of discussion:

Firstly, you concern regarding a generalization of injuries incurred from martial arts practice - no self-respecting school brings physically damaging injuries onto its students. Any sort of injury a student would experience would simply be from inexperience and acting in a way aside what is being taught verbetam by the instructor. Any physical activity carries this risk, and being human carries the risk of failure from action; this is unavoidable as it is what makes us human. If there will be injury, it is to bring about strengthening (like Bucaw), Wolfe's Law. This is solely by choiceof the student to go into such a decision and is not on fault of the school.
>>
>>2550455
>>2550455

To continue, I agree that most precautions thought through, such as avoiding seedy areas, being polite and humble, and such will generally help you remain intact. However, you assume logic and reasoning to be applied to every individual and scenario. You cannot teach humility to the masses, but you can learn self-control and remain within logic yourself through martial arts. This is not mutually exclusive, but it is a prime, generally accepted means of promoting awareness and preservation. In school, a classmate named Geo pulled a knife on me simply because I sat at his desk when I was new to the school - no amount of preparedness would keep me from entering that scenario outside of ESP. I remained humble and quiet and was able to avoid conflict without physical conflict, which to remind you, is a chief aspect of martial arts.

If an aversion to physicality is what you misunderstand about martial arts, then you may need to know more than simple, biased and cherrypicked numbers. I will gladly sweat and practice, within the limitations and understanding of my body, to improve myself. To suggest an abstain from any possibility only begs for correction from unfortunate circumstance. Be open, be willing and be expectant of everything and nothing.
>>
>>2547636
you are a freakin' idiot
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.