[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any proof aikido works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Aikido.jpg (144KB, 2102x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Aikido.jpg
144KB, 2102x1500px
Is there any proof aikido works?
>>
>>2481553
No its for gay faggots who have to ask if this shit works
>>
>>2481553
Try dat on da streets and ya finna get ya ass clapped wit da glock
>>
>>2481553
Finna learn how to defend ya self better watching WWE tbch
>>
File: Steven-Seagal--Were-getti-008.jpg (184KB, 1020x612px) Image search: [Google]
Steven-Seagal--Were-getti-008.jpg
184KB, 1020x612px
of course it does ya pinhead
>>
>>2481553
isnt aikido just super judo?
>>
>>2481553
You can find plenty of accounts of aikidoka using it against random guys on the street.
>>
>>2482206

Provide one.
>>
No. I did it throughout first year of uni, as I didn't know anything about martial arts. Now I have been doing boxing ever since and I am much happier for it.
Only good thing out of it is striking, which most sensei won't teach you, a couple of lockls, a couple of dodges and how to break out of a grip. Literally nothing else. And you can just learn those through BJJ or MMA.
>>
>>2481553
In Jyväskylä, Finland some 14 year old lad put down an adult pickpocket, and held him in place until the police arrived.

I've been to the place he studied in, and the guy running it seems like a legit martial artist. Has a teaching permit in Tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu, teaches aikido, escrima, and self-defense, practices shooting.

"99% of aikido is atemi" or something like that. You can't throw someone if you don't hit them.
>>
>>2481553
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTsM_YUOrQ
>>
& wrestling was a mistake
>>
Probably better than no martial arts knowledge or training at all.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 173x291px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 173x291px
>>2481553
Only Hip-Hop Akido Works
>>
File: rr.jpg (57KB, 599x558px) Image search: [Google]
rr.jpg
57KB, 599x558px
>>2481553
yes it does. I used it on a roided up meth head loan shark once and survived after disarming him.

no wait

>I KIDDO
>>
I did MMA and sparred with my Aikido friend. Lets just say it didn't help him at all. The submissions in Aikido hurt but are too complex to pull off in a real fight
>>
>>2486139
This.
>>
>>2483469
>"99% of aikido is atemi" or something like that. You can't throw someone if you don't hit them.

This.

Aikido has a solid foundation of techniques derived from jujutsu, just the application and teaching of them is often wrong. A small joint lock correctly applied will end a confontation.
>>
>>2486139

According to aikido the wrist wil break if the other person doesn't flip Where's the broken wrist?
>>
>>2481593
Perfect
Close the thread
>>
>>2493544
>"99% of aikido is atemi"
Sensei Ueshiba says this too (but use the proportion of 80%)

And 99% of dojos ignore the atemi existence, only the yoshinkan and Yama Ryu still punching and kicking
>>
>>2494267
The guy in Jyväskylä was taught by Nishio, who, to my understanding, was under the main Aikikai branch of aikido but everyone just calls his way "Nishio aikido". He never really wanted to create a style of his own, just apparently thought that "modern" way of doing aikido was inefficient.
>>
>>2494469
When they were first getting started many of the people who trained directly under the founder were giving pretty wide latitude to do what they wanted. Nishio trained in alot of other stuff, particularly weapons arts and blended it with his aikido. Unlike alot of aikiken teachers, he knew what he was doing with a sword.

Its pretty widely held that Ueshiba's son pushed a lot of changes in his fathers art, Ueshiba emphasized a lot of solo training and esoteric practices, his son wanted a less esoteric, more uniform art that could be spread world wide. to that end people like Tohei who focused on ki were forced out, along with Tomiki who wanted to introduce Judo style randori to aikido. over the decades this has resulted in more homogenization. Still, the founders biggest students were often given a lot of room in the first few decades.
>>
The mother art is Ju Jitsu. That in theory anyway is the whole kit and kaboodle of Japanese wrestling.

Judo and especially Aikido take aspects of Ju Jitsu an train solely those parts and with that extra focus it tends to be to a much greater extent.

If you want a full self defense system Aikido is not that. If you want to be peerless at wristlocks look nowhere else.
>>
>>2493934
No, it'll break if he doesn't properly. The guy doing the technique guided him down safely
>>
File: 1469282394444.jpg (9KB, 240x178px) Image search: [Google]
1469282394444.jpg
9KB, 240x178px
>been practicing aikido since I was a little kid
>tfw /asp/ shits on it saying it's a shit martial art.

What should I study to supplement it to make mine less shit? Please don't tell me that those years of training were useless.
>>
>>2497458
Do the same thing as Nishio, I guess.

Learn karate and judo, and how to use sword since that's what aikido is based on.
>>
>>2497458
It depends greatly on how you were taught and how you train. If everything you do is half speed, choreographed/agreed upon and you've no idea what a resisting opponent is like, you've been fed bullshit. If there's a ton of emphasis on some vague mystical energy and little on proper mechanical application of techniques, that's especially bullshit. These are all common hallmarks of Aikido which is why people shit on it.

The good news for you is that except in the very worst cases, training in something is always better than nothing. Whether you've been fed total bullshit or are training in one of the very few solid schools of Aikido, I'd suggest checking out Judo and BJJ since they're all derived from the same historical source and have a grappling focus. Judo'll teach you how to unbalance and throw/sweep someone that doesn't want it to happen, BJJ will teach you ground fighting and that's actually where a lot of aikido arm/wristlocks work best when adapted.
>>
>>2481553
Me. :3

>>2497458
I've started implementing wrist locks in my BJJ to good effect. Got to know BJJ as well for that though. My Judo footwork - and more recently - my hand placement is mostly Aikido as well. Applying some of the general principles of Aikido to other martial arts - who often pay less attention some of them - can have surprisingly effective results.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.