[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Austin able to surpass Hogan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: austinhoga.png (16KB, 576x189px) Image search: [Google]
austinhoga.png
16KB, 576x189px
>>
>>2250868
Because God Cold Steve Austin put Hogetty in third place behind himself and big match john
>>
"surpass" is objective

would you rather have your star player in apehoop average 40 points for 5 years but then get a career ending injury or 30 points for 20 years?
>>
>>2250885
hogan hogging the spotlight killed WCW and put TNA on life support
>>
>>2250889
And if he was never in WCW they wouldn't have beaten WWF in the ratings one week or even went primetime

TNA run is irrelevant, why would you bring in a 60 year old wrestler to try and be the driving force to your company? Stupidity
>>
>>2250889
I'm pretty sure he's just talking about Hogan's first main event run, which was longer than Austin's.
>>
Reminder that Austin's merch could be bought at practically any retailer in his heyday, while Hogan's could only be bought through the WWF catalogue in the 80s and early 90s.
>>
>>2250868
Because Austin was the most over guy at a time when pro wrestling was the most over it's ever been.
>>
1. Austin
2. Bret
3. Hogan
4. Cena
5. Rocky
6. Andre
7. Undertaker
8. Kurt Angle
9. Ultimate Warrior
10. Ric Flair

-----

9001. HBK
900000000000001. HHH
9000000000000000000001. Kevin Nash
>>
>>2250957
>10. Ric Flair

Settle down Ric
>>
>>2250957
>2. Bret
>7. Undercarder
>8. Kurt Angle
>10. Wreck flair
KEK
>>
File: Hulk-Hogan-Abrissbirne.jpg (47KB, 620x434px) Image search: [Google]
Hulk-Hogan-Abrissbirne.jpg
47KB, 620x434px
>>2250868
Austin was edgy. Hogan told kids to take their PEDs and drink their ovaltine protein shakes, brother.
>>
File: 1400186409343.gif (1MB, 193x135px) Image search: [Google]
1400186409343.gif
1MB, 193x135px
>>2250957
This is bait.
>>
>>2250868

Probably because Stone Cold could actually work.

Also, he was a badass antihero in PERFECT timing with a cultural obsession with them in the 90s, coinciding with an economic boom in North America. So everyone was going crazy for his character while at the same time having gobs of money to spend on stuff the liked.
>>
>Eat your vitamins say your prayers brother!
>Little Johny sure does love this
Vs
>Fuck You Vince don't tell me what to do. *stunner*
>Wow I hate my boss too!
>>
File: tumblr_nmj4eqRedg1sj4xr4o1_500.jpg (51KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmj4eqRedg1sj4xr4o1_500.jpg
51KB, 500x281px
>>2250957
>2. Bret
>>
>>2250893
Sure but he only beat them before austin came along.

That's why Hogan will always be second to based steve.
>>
>>2251214

hi Steve
>>
>>2251214
>That's why Hogan will always be second to based steve

this would be true if it wasn't for the fact that Hogan showed up in 2002 and Austin was sent to the midcard and never main evented a ppv again
>>
daily reminder that Hogan sent Austin to the midcard as soon as he went back to WWE
>>
1. Austin
2. Hogan
3. Rock
4. Cena
5. Andre
6. Bret
7. Undertaker
8. Batista
9. Triple H
10. HBK
>>
>>2251275
Putting anyone that came from the new generation era if your list is about starpower and drawing (seeing as austin/hogan/rock/cena are the top 4) is dumb. none of them ever drew and they nearly took the company under
>>
File: steiner-300x186 cut.jpg (18KB, 211x184px) Image search: [Google]
steiner-300x186 cut.jpg
18KB, 211x184px
1. Scott Steiner
2. Austin
3. Rock
4. Cena
>>
>>2251255

Hogan is, and always will be, second to Austin, that's not opinion, it's just a black and white fact, trying to argue otherwise makes you look like a moron.

Vince was always a Hogan mark, that doesn't mean Austin was less successful than Hogan.

Hogan wanted a run with Austin, but Austin blackballed it because he knew Hogan would politick to get himself over Austin and he'd never get a chance to come back from it, which is how Hogan operated in the 80's and 90's - and which is exactly what happened to HBK.

If Hogan was a bigger draw than Austin, WCW would never have gone under, despite the stupid business deals they struck with talent - Vince poured 100M into the XFL but WWE were fine because they still had Austin and Rock acting as human ATMs
>>
>>2251284
Bret Hart was the only reason the company stayed afloat during that time period

Taker drew the highest ever summerslam buys and was also the highest drawing heel champion ever

HBK is there because I couldn't think of a number 10
>>
>>2251327
>Taker drew the highest ever summerslam buys

thanks to Steve Austin

>highest drawing heel champion ever

thanks to Steve Austin

You could find ratings or buyrates close to those when Austin is fighting someone instead of Taker. Can you do the same when Taker is fighting someone besides Austin?
>>
>>2251326
>Hogan wanted a run with Austin, but Austin blackballed it because he knew Hogan would politick to get himself over Austin and he'd never get a chance to come back from it,

revisionist history, Austin has changed his story on that plenty times. On his documentary he says "I wanted the Hogan match but I never got it" and then on a podcast interview with JR he says "I just feel like Hogan was a step or two behind me at that time, and we wouldn't have a good match (but he would with a drunk, washed up Scott Hall?). Hogan couldn't politick shit in 2002, he jobbed to Angle/Taker/Lesnar/Rock/HHH and even fucked around with Edge in the midcard. He had no leverage, especially over the guy who just saved the company

>If Hogan was a bigger draw than Austin, WCW would never have gone under

Nobody is denying Austin is the biggest draw ever at his peak, there's too many numbers that point in that direction and Vince is on record himself calling Austin the biggest superstar in "WWE" history.

The argument comes from Hogan drawing in three other promotions and also doing so for 15 more years. I know the meltzer quote where it says Austin outdrew Hogan's entire peak in a year (1998), but WCW in 1998 also outdrew Hogan's entire peak without adjusting for inflation. Also, it's ignoring that WWF was still expanding nationwide when Hogan started while it was established later on

It comes down to if you value longevity or peak, there's no correct answer. Even in the OP Meltzer gives Austin credit for peak but gives Hogan the longevity factor
>>
File: 1483482674093.jpg (149KB, 786x758px) Image search: [Google]
1483482674093.jpg
149KB, 786x758px
>>2251326
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.