[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Competition mindset in BJJ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I've been doing bjj for a year and I come from a team sports background so I'm sure this is a noob question- but what the fuck is this "check the ego, love the journey" shit with BJJ? I get when you train you don't go 100% and learn from your instructors but isn't the whole point of the sport to get the guy to tap out? It's a combat sport- you're trying to submit the guy, you start standing and one of you ends up on the ground tapping- how are you not supposed to psyche yourself up and have the "killer" instinct in something like a competition?

Is the "check your ego at the door laid back man OSS" mantra present in other MM's??? (wrestling, boxing, etc.) am I misunderstanding something?
>>
I can't speak for bjj, but I do judo, which bjj originated from. No, the idea is not to have a "killer instinct" and always try to tap out the opponent at all times, unless you are in shiai or in randori against an opponent of similar weight and skill. Judo is supposed to be a complete system to stay in shape and improve your mental health. For that reason, one of its core principles is "mutual welfare and benefit", you are supposed to care for your fellow judoka and try to help them to improve and grow, not just beat the shit out of them all the time. Now, going all-in will be best for your opponent in some situations, but in others having a more relaxed approach will lead to a better outcome for both parties. But all of this originates from Kano Jigoro's ideas for judo from when he founded it, which are based in some ideas from eastern philosophy. I don't think wrestling or boxing are really about the same thing as judo, and I don't to which extent bjj kept the principles of judo.
>>
.>>2240106
It just means enjoy the sport. You don't want to hurt your own training partners, you don't want to get frustrated. Just want to learn more
>>
>>2240106
when you rage quit in a a couple months and everyone else is training you will understand, or maybe you won't
>>
I don't think pure bjj is for you, join an MMA gym.
>>
>>2240106
Sure, in competition you go a lot harder than in training, but even there you'd be doing yourself a disservice by going 100% all the time. I've encountered such opponents before, both in Judo and BJJ. Won all of those matches easily. They make mistakes, gas out, or even do both.

You need to know when your efforts will pay off, or you're just wasting energy. So go ahead and psyche yourself if that's your style, but stay focused.

'Check your ego, love the journey' is simply the mindset you need while training and after competing, to learn and improve.
>>
>>2240106
The ego check is about to care for your teammates before you tap them out at all costs,i.e. let a sub go not to injure your partner in bjj.
This is also worth for you. Tap early enough even if you feel you can muscle your way out. Do not let it go at the slightest discomfort, but tap when there is no way out. You will train better if you train safer.
>>
>>2240106
when i did jujitsu a while ago, my sensei wanted us to be respectful towards everyone, but i felt like sometimes he was training us to be killing machines
it was pretty fun
>>
>>2240490
>I don't think pure bjj is for you, join an MMA gym.
>bloodthirsty favela kids do pure bjj
>lol dOOd ur too brutal
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.