[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What enabled this man to draw billions of dimes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: Austin-0.jpg (77KB, 642x722px) Image search: [Google]
Austin-0.jpg
77KB, 642x722px
What enabled this man to draw billions of dimes?
>>
Hogan unironically

Hogan turning him into a jobber and him getting released because of Hogans friends being pushed over him led him to be motivated to become the best ever and pass him.
>>
>>2179405
Retard
>>
>>2179405
It's a shame that his heel turn drew negative dimes and killed the business, he was well on his way
>>
promos, beer and middle fingers
>>
Stone Cold just seemed so real unlike everything else at the time, you believed he was a pissed off redneck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlS8h6NyoTo
>>
Sting

All he did was copy Sting
>>
A big reason is that he was emblematic of the edgy, anti-establishment, trashy zeitgeist of society at that time.
>>
>>2179402
In terms of wrestling ability he's not even in the top 10.
>>
>>2179420
sting got over by not speaking though so it's the complete opposite
>>
>>2179425
All Austin did was copy surfer Stings final promo and them his gimmick and attitude and actions
>>
Why did Austin get so pissed at the crowd for saying "What?" during his hell run? It seemed legitimate.

He was acting like Shane from TWD, intentionally sucking the fun out of his own character.
>>
>>2179402
Sandman
>>
File: 1431146476013.gif (893KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1431146476013.gif
893KB, 200x150px
>>2179424
>Wrestling ability
Pushing technicians and ignoring charisma is what ruined the business, nobody cares about your flippy shit if your personality is a meme WWE gave you to sell T-shirts

Back to the bingo hall with you
>>
Right place
Right time
Right gimmick

Just a matter of all the stars aligning at the most opertune moment.

A character like Austin was the perfect man to spearhead the more violent, edgy, grungy Attitude Era.
>>
He combined Diesel, Taz, Sandman and Mikey Whipwreck into one singular being that could draw
>>
>>2179424
>wrestling ability
wrestling ability doesn't draw, it just make some smarks happy for a few weeks until they get tired and start booing
>>
>>2179478
This, look at Bryan before he stole the the duck dynasty look and got the chant, he was just smark pander. Then the chant got really over dick duck dynasty was the number one show in America and he rode it to the top.
>>
Why does ECW claim credit for the Attitude Era?
>>
>>2179520
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRe9PAGfCw
>>
>>2179558
better than any Hogan promo
>>
He was a dime in a dimeless era.
>>
File: 5674667887.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
5674667887.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
he went up against the greatest heel in the history of the business mcmahon which automatically made every one like him by default
>>
File: GOAT 316.webm (2MB, 510x400px) Image search: [Google]
GOAT 316.webm
2MB, 510x400px
>>2179402
Sheer charisma and pure talent.
>>
>>2179402
His shirts, I believe. You can look at New Day and see that they're over as fuck and they probably do sell a good bit of merch, but 90% of even diehard wrestling fans wouldn't wear a New Day shirt in public. It's not fashionable and it borders on cringe. But Austin's shirts? You don't have to even watch a second of wrestling to buy one. You could be looking through clothes at any random store, see What? written on it and get a slight chuckle. White text on black is very easy on the eyes compared to any hectic Enzo shirt.

Look at how simplistic Hulkamania shirts were designed. And sure, unlike with Austin's shirts you do have to be aware of who Hogan is to really get it. But that was at a time when wrestling was a lot more mainstream too.

I think that's partly why Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins have their own superhero logos for their initials. Those RR and SR shirts are a lot easier to wear casually to the mall than "Seth Freakin' Rollins" will ever be because nowadays it's acceptable for grown men to walk around with The Flash's logo on their chest.

So imagine if WWE made a "You Just Made The List" shirt, and on the back it has a list with references to Raw on it. Fans might see it and find it funny. A few might buy it. But only the cringiest fans are going to walk around in public wearing something like that, and non-fans associating WWE with that sort of person hurts the brand.

Actually, don't imagine a List of Jericho shirt. Just look at the Booty O's shirt because it's the same thing. You overspend on a shirt which will have people thinking about /mlp/ sooner than WWE. But what did Austin sell? A black shirt with the word "What?" on it. I could buy that for a grandparent. I could buy that for a coworker. It's a normal shirt.
>>
because holly cuck chokin was so bad
>>
>>2179437
>posts image of a guy renowned for his technical ability + innovator of flippyshit

Good job.

>ruined the business

Mandatory reminder that WWE's decline began once they started building around HHH & Lesnar.
>>
>>2179427
Austin did his first worked shoot in ECW.

18+
>>
>>2179424

That's the most worthless piece of criticism ever. What, he's only in top 50 or something out of thousands upon thousands of wrestlers? Damn.
>>
>>2180164
Austin was the most over guy in the WWF over a year before the "Mr. McMahon" character existed.
>>
>>2180796
And yet for as good as he was in the ring, its his charisma, his look, his promos that fans remember his for.
>>
>>2179424
gb2 reddit
>>
>>2180803
>not remembering Steiners as the GOAT tag team

18+
>>
>>2180811

I bet you think the Young Bucks are GOATs, too.
>>
>>2179402
He was relatable. He embodied the american dream of beating up your boss and drinking beer.
>>
before he even went to WWF he was considered one of the best in ring wrestlers in the world
>>
Austin stopped playing a gimmick and just went out to the ring and essentially was himself. It's the same thing he did when he showed up in ECW after being fired from WCW and Heyman let him say and do whatever he wanted to. He was so pissed with WCW and Bischof for being released and he went out to the ring and said exactly what was on his mind. That was where the real "Stonecold" was born.

Austin knew that he could get over by doing that in WWF but Vince preferred the "Ringmaster" gimmick. Once the gimmick bombed and creative had nothing for him, he just went back to being the same angry guy that was able to get him over in ECW. He just started being himself...just "amped up by 100" as he put it.
>>
>>2182461
/thread
>>
is Austin 3:16 the biggest selling wrestling t shirt? I bet NWO is close but I would bet it's Austin 3:16 because WCW are incompetent
>>
>>2182491

It's Austin 3:16, just due to the fact that WWE's merchandising machine blew WCW out of the water.

Nash and Hall literally sold nWo shirts in the car park before shows.
>>
>>2182491
>>
Austin was in wcw for a while doing nothing then he quit and did a short stint in ECW, where he did a promo echoing the Austin that was to be.
Then wwe hired him and vince made him a silent guy who never talks called the ring master because vince is stupid.
Then stone cold did the whole austin 3:16 promo against jake the snake and he became the bionic redneck and the attitude era began
>>
>>2182491
Austin sold 13 million worth of merch in 1998 according to Meltzer, whereas Hogan sold 8 million NWO shirts in the same year. However this doesn't account for Nash and Hall's share.
>>
I've always heard his voice is from a damaged larynx. Wonder what he sounded like before that.
>>
He pandered to the retards that's why.

>shitty catchphrase based promos (unlike say....Punk or The Rock, he has no memorable promos, just a couple annoying catchphrases only 3:16 was any good)
>boring as fuck in-ring(not his fault technically but still)
>character is literally an angry redneck who drinks beer all the time minus being self aware at all unlike other overthetop yet self aware characters like Rock, Mankind, Jericho, etc.
>segments were all either "beat up Vince" or generic top face saves the day bullshit
>>
>>2182797
he never started drinking beer till late 97 and he was already the most over guy in wrestling

18+
>>
>>2182797

>no memorable promos
>boring in-ring
>"I don't know what a character actually is"
>??????????

7/10 anon. I am moderately peeved at just how retarded this post was
>>
File: 1399497791237.jpg (81KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
1399497791237.jpg
81KB, 608x608px
>>2182797
>shitty catchphrase based promos
>unlike say The Rock
>>
>>2180792
K lol
>>
>>2182461
I think this is exactly what Vince wants us to believe.... They worked us into his "stone cold" character simply by not announcing it on his debut

Based Big Work Vinny
>>
>>2179418
The Rock was, and probably will be, the only other person that can compare to his charisma
>>
>>2182501
Keep in mind, both hall and Austin were also combatting bootlegs that they didn't see a dime from. Their actual drawing power went beyond what either company could actually facilitate
>>
>>2182515
>Hogan sold 8 million NWO shirts in the same year

those shirts were $25.95 each including shipping and handling if he sold 8 mil exactly am i correct to say that was a lot of money
>>
>>2179405

Lol dummy
>>
>>2179405
hello Terrence
>>
>>2182515
>Hogan sold
>nWo shirts
>>
He was a believable badass. Which btw is why so many people can't get over right now. Lesnar and Reigns both appear to be badasses, but neither can cut a promo like Austin did.

Austin was also fortunate enough to play against the perfect angle for him against Vince McMahon. It was quite literally some of the best Face vs Heel work of all time.

It helped his gimmick that so many wrestling fans are beer drinking "tough guys".
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.