[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Main Event pushes that are difficult to justify

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

File: barneythewrestler.jpg (47KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
barneythewrestler.jpg
47KB, 630x420px
I'll start with pic related.

I have no idea what Vince saw in this guy in '95. Sure he was big but he also looked a giant child. I can only assume Vince was getting super desperate for anyone, anything to draw a dime and Mabel's name happened to come out of the hat. The guy got a pin-fall victory over the fucking Undertaker during his initial push.
>>
File: Thwagger.png (155KB, 321x313px) Image search: [Google]
Thwagger.png
155KB, 321x313px
Pic related.

It's not that I dislike Swaggie, I even saw him at a house show and was pleasantly surprised by his charisma, which doesn't come over as much on TV somehow. But he was nowhere near ready, in terms of mic work or character. I guess that's why they bailed on it so quickly.

Has anyone ever fallen from the main event so hard after this guy?
>>
>>2075044
He only got the WHC out of spite because Vince hates Christian
>>
File: sn_g_punk01jr_576x874.jpg (297KB, 576x874px) Image search: [Google]
sn_g_punk01jr_576x874.jpg
297KB, 576x874px
>>
>>2075044
Such a wasted talent. Him winning the MitB when he did was fine but he shouldn't have cashed in so early, and furthermore not been booked to complete shit once he did get the title.
It's even sadder that in present day he is still somewhat over when he comes out, but even his move to Smackdown resulted in nothing.
>>
>>2075026
He was huge, he could talk decently, and vince needed black people's money at the time.

Not too hard to give Vis a shot
>>
>>2075049
If you're talking strictly UFC, sure. In WWE he was super over with marks and so his push was deserved.
>>
>>2075056
>Vince needed black people's money at the time

Vince needed anybody's money at the time, because Diesel sure as hell wasn't getting it for him.
>>
File: KO Approves.gif (651KB, 288x216px) Image search: [Google]
KO Approves.gif
651KB, 288x216px
He's a solid worker, and a good heel character, but so is The Miz, and even Miz isn't as dumpy looking as KO.

The booking/writing isn't helping him at all either. In NXT and during his feud with BMJ, he was treated as a dangerous bruiser, and he was JUST not fat enough to pull it off. Now he's fatter, and booked like the generic Chickenshit Heel champ it feels like we've had for goddamn years now.

Always hiding behind Jericho or Triple H or any other characters that come off stronger, more competent, more dangerous, and just generally better than Fatty Boomballatty here. Why can't a heel champ be threatening on his own? Why can't ANY heel in this shit company look dangerous? Why can't we just have a babyface champion that isn't either Cena or a corny Cena knockoff?

These fucking retards have wasted Rollins and, to a lesser extent, AJ Styles on bullshit heel turns that force them to neuter their physical abilities to play coward and job to buttfucking Ellsworth.
>>
With topics like this one name always shoots straight to the top for me.
The Great Khali

The guy couldn't wrestle. Hell, the guy could barely even walk unaided. He knew no English, and he often forgot what the rules to the match was half way through.

...And they gave him a run with the main Smackdown championship. What the ever loving fuck?

The worst ever wrestler in WWE to get a top card push in history. He's just got to be. I know there's plenty of terrible champs, but there's bad and then there's Khali.
>>
>>2075079
I wonder how high his power level will go if he turned face, which is what I feel will happen when he and Jericho eventually turn on each other for real.
>>
>>2075081
I have a feeling he would have never got the title had Edge not gotten injured. I'm certain all they wanted was a chase story for Batista so they slapped it on Khali because he was "big"
>>
>>2075081
India has a population of 1 billion people
>>
>>2075079
I'd say he should've gone to Smackdown but they're already overflowing with heels
>>
>>2075081
A: I think he was Plan B once Edge got hurt
B: there over a billion people in India

but yea, you're right. it's said he's an awesome and kind guy, but he was just not good at any of the 10 or so things wrestlers can be graded on aside from
>[X] is tall
>>
>>2075026
Sasha Banks and Charlotte on Raw
Fatsuka and Bayley on NXT
>>
>>2075081
Reminder that he squashed both Undertaker and Cena clean. Not even Bork could squash Taker.Prime Khali is maybe the second highest power level ever
>>
>>2075111
Andre was a spectacle and he could wrestle okay for his side at his peak, but by 1987 he was essentially Khali-esque. Back then they knew giving someone like that a title run was a bad idea.
>>
>>2075131
By 87, Andre knew he was done for, so he helped the company as much as he could.
>>
>>2075159
Based Andre
>>
>>2075056
>he could talk decently

Have you heard the promo he cut after winning KotR? Literally the worst promo I've ever heard.
>>
>>2075192
And then they found he was a shit worker too after his debacle with Diesel at Summerslam
>>
>>2075090

And a net worth of about $500 million. Those "people" can't buy a lot of merch or tickets or PPVs or much of goddamn anything
>>
>>2075106

It wouldn't do a lot of good without a bit of a character change.

Remember when he was a "Prize Fighter"? As in, he wasn't no bitch about anything provided the price was right? At least then you got the impression that he might actually be able to win a 1v1 fight against any given opponent. Now, you get the impression he couldn't be Michael Cole without outside help.

The people running this show fucking suck. It's probably why I haven't watched RAW since October, and have watched Smack!Down maybe three times since then
>>
>>2075241
Poo in Loo land is one of the most poverty stricken countries - the ones we see move out to the West are the entitled rich ones
>>
>>2075081
>getting triggered by Khali
>when the WWE has Chink Kevin Owens on NXT and will get a titanic megapush to sell tickets in China
>>
>>2075269
If he's brought in to a title run and/or wrecks Cena and Undertaker clean then you've a point. Otherwise, nah, Khali really was vastly overpushed and just not very good at anything other than unintentional comedy.
>>
>>2075281
When he debuts Cena and Undercarder will be gone

The slanty slope will go over Roman, Seth, AJ and Balor
>>
Anytime somebody says that Vince isn't the biggest poison in his company right now, remember that he booked King Mabel.
>>
>>2075026
To this day, I don't see what Vince was thinking with swagger
>>
File: swaggieeagle.gif (977KB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
swaggieeagle.gif
977KB, 300x170px
>>2075376
Tall, athletic, strong, young, legit great college wrestler, decent look.
>>
>>2075360
Vince booked himself into a corner - at least from his perspective. I'm sure he had no idea how he was going to get the belt off Diesel with a credible heel (I assume he didn't think Sid was ready yet) and King Mabel was him just throwing anything out there and hoping it stuck.
I think he defaulted to Bret taking the belt from him because it was safe and he didn't want back-to-back identical title matches at 'Mania with Diesel and Shawn.
>>
>>2075391
King of the Ring was in June with SummerSlam in August.

Diesel lost the belt in November.
>>
File: 1995WWF.png (36KB, 647x136px) Image search: [Google]
1995WWF.png
36KB, 647x136px
>the state of Cuckvin Nash
>>
>>2075437
This applies to the entire New Generation era. It doesn't even specify a year.
>>
>>2075442
it's from this

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Sinking-decline-WWF-1995-ebook/dp/B00N23THB0
>>
>>2075433
Correct. Well done.
>>
>>2075451
Did you need me to draw you a diagram pointing out why it points out you're full of it?

The New Generation actually had a STACKED roster, it's just that because of Vince's shitty booking nobody was over and the company was rotting.

Sounds familiar?
>>
>>2075468
I basically said Vince had no idea what he was doing, didn't I?
>>
>>2075473
Should've just given KOTR to HBK *shrug*
>>
>>2075486
He got back-to-back Rumble victories in the end which I believe is a bigger achievement
>>
>>2075026
This guy injured people. Kevin Nash complained he almost crippled him in a match.
>>
>>2075245
>Poo in Loo land is one of the most poverty stricken countries
My country (Bulgaria) is worse.It sucks when your politics steal gorillions of your country's money and you have a dying family member,whose pension is under 200 bucks.
>>
>>2075047
How does that make sense?

Swags cashed in on Jeri-God.
>>
>>2076016
I don't know about who is worse, but I know for sure India has the biggest class gap. It's literally
1. Rich
POWER GAP
2. Dirt poor
>>
>>2076026
Christian was suppose to win the MitB and become WHC at the last second Vince changed it to Swagger winning.
>>
>>2076002
Nash is a complete bitch.
>>
File: IMG_7554.jpg (179KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7554.jpg
179KB, 1600x900px
>Only "over" with women, children, &brain damaged retards
>Pushed solely because of his looks & nepotism
>Terrible in the ring
>Can't talk for shit
>Crowd spits on him every fucking night
>Yet Vince refuses to turn him Heel because it's one big game in his senile head
>Does absolutely nothing with the United States Championship
>Drig-fiend yet still gets a decent high-midcard spot after getting dropped down
>Waste of space that could be better spent on someone with more talent
>The gaymeuh got so infuriated tryjng his hardsst to get him over that he said "fuck it" one night after beating the everloving fuck out of him that he decided to play to the crowd and do the dx gestures at romanwetty's expense
>Buried by Finn Balor
>(Soon to be) Buried by Brawn Strowman
>Absolutely lacks the "charisma" /asp/ says Wrestling needs, yet still gets support from 3 or 4 blind fuckwits here who could be "only pretending to be retarded"
>>
>>2076002
>>2076068
There's a video somewhere of Nash explaining how he told Mabel to specifically not do something or target somewhere and Mabel did it anyway
>>
>>2076073
>one loss
>buried
>implying Strowman will beat him

Hi smark!
>>
>>2076073
I'm surprised it took this long for Roman to be mentioned tee bee haitch
>>
>>2075468
Vince never booked the 80s era or attitude. Its his business tatics that gets him in the books.
>>
File: 1463758152299.jpg (14KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
1463758152299.jpg
14KB, 343x343px
>>2076073
Cry more
>>
>>2075044
>Has anyone ever fallen from the main event so hard after this guy?
Miz.
>>
>>2075083

>Face KO

That sounds like something they'd be dumb enough to do, considering they LOVE to play away from their talent's strengths.
>>
>>2076710

Miz has carved out an excellent niche in the mid card though, continued to be in storylines and had promos/mic time/shit movies and may some day return to the main event. Swagger has done none of that. We the jobbers.
>>
>>2075079
>Why can't a heel champ be threatening
Braaaaaaaun
>>
>>2076710
>>2076870
This, the Miz will have another world title run soon enough - especially now with the roster split.
>>
>>2075081
I agree with all of your points, the guy was basically a freakshow inside a freakshow, he fuckin killed some poor bastard in the ring as well dont forget, cos they both botched a move twice.

They used to recut Raw and SD when showing it in India to put Khali in the final segment of the show, making it look like he was always in the main event to his fellow Indians.. pretty clever and kind of amusing at the same time, as if he was in the main event every week for real, the arena would be empty by the time he lumbered to the ring in that awkward way of his
>>
>>2075131
Andre knew how to work the camera too just by staring. also he used to make Hogan buy him crates of beer when travelling cross country, then peg the empty bottles up the bus at him every few minutes. If I had no other reason to love him, that would be enough.
>>
>>2076710
You're either trolling or retarded.

My money's on both.
>>
>>2075079
You had me until Rollins. Rollins is one of those guys that should be in a stable or was better in the indies. His shit overacting doesn't help any of his promos as a singles guy.
>>
>>2075449
stop shilling your shitty book bretkek

>More About the Author
› Visit Amazon's James Dixon Page
James Dixon
Follow
Biography
>James Dixon has been watching wrestling for over 20 years. Inspired by the likes of Davey Boy Smith, Bret Hart, The Ultimate Warrior and The Undertaker, Dixon was drawn to the business like any other fan; for reasons that are difficult to explain.

>A hobby quickly became an obsession, and Dixon was determined to get involved in wrestling by utilising the one thing he could do: write about it. In previous books James wrote alongside his “writing partner” Evil Ste. The truth is, the Evil Ste character was merely an extension of Dixon’s own personality, his way of sharing his Jekyll and Hyde opinions on things. The writing choice worked fairly well at first, but the team at History of Wrestling all felt it had perhaps become more gimmicky that was hoped, so Dixon has reverted to just writing as himself.

>Well, we say himself. In reality James is a former British professional wrestler, but he has adopted the pseudonym to retain relative anonymity and to distance himself from his past career in the industry. However, that past experience does give him a unique and more inside perspective on things than the others, though he is still a “mark” at heart.

James has limited patience and borderline apathy for anything in wrestling post-2002, and much prefers 80s and 90s grappling. Curious really, because as you will see from his writing, he spends a lot of time complaining about it.
>>
>>2076073
Salty bait tastes the worst
>>
>>2077519
>Rollins was better in the indies

He wasn't.
>>
>>2076074
It was probably just kliq bullshit to bury V
>>
>>2075026
That moonsault he did off the top of Hell in a Cell to Jeff Hardy was fucking dope though.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.