[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ - martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 43

Starting to get more active edition
muay thai, boxing, judo, bjj, mma, karate, kyokushin, striking, grappling, full contact, tkd, jkd, cma, wing chun, aikido, kickboxing, sanda, sambo
You're encouraged to make other martial arts threads

Are there any effective chinese fighting styles besides sanda?

Is Kwan Ki Do bullshit?
>>
>>2049856
Well, define effective. If you can develop enough technique to get away from an attacker, then yes, they can be effective. Using them to beat an MMA pro with mounds of experience, training areas, pressure tested footwork and groundwork? You take a guess.

The Chinese argument is never a good one. Most of Chinese traditional martial arts is hokey or cannot be properly understood due to the boxer rebellion. The old ways are dying, and sanda is just a weaker Muay Thai with spin kicks and Chinese throws.
>>
>>2049886
Effective in the sense that training it for 2 years can at least make you sustain a fight against someone who trained something legit for 1 year
>>
>>2049914
Pretty much. I mean all Chinese traditional styles only work standing. Chinese guys don't know what the fuck to do on the ground.

It's just is what it is. Chinese styles are better with weapons, but can't beat guns.
>>
>>2050010
>Chinese guys don't know what the fuck to do on the ground.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Kung_Fu
>>
Beginner here, also a fatty. Somewhat athletic. What would be the best martial arts class to take to lose weight?
>>
>>2050239
Is there a single example of it used in a fight?
>>
>>2050252
Anything aside from wing chun
>>
>>2050252
Judo or Muay thai
They emphasize fitness over all

Who here does judo? What do you think of the new IJF rules allowing any grips now?
I tell you what, allowing me to hold onto a Georgian grip is going to make a few people cry from harai makikomi. Though I think it also makes sode tsurikomi goshi a lot easier to pull off as well
>>
Ufc is gay.
>>
>>2050254
Exactly.

Chinese arts aren't really all that practical. Maybe back in the day when there were no guns and standing in horse stance all day to develop a nuclear punch was worth your time but it's better to think of those things as hobbies.
>>
So I know I'm progressing in bjj but sometimes in class I feel bored like I want to do other things while I'm in class. does this happen to anyone else? I wish I was excited to be in class like when I first started.
>>
>>2050398
Judoka here. Sounds like they are trying to adapt the rules to adjust for all the people that cross train bjj. I'm all for it, because judo is slowly becoming irrelevant.

I'd rather the rules change even more to make it more submission based so that judo would be better suited for mma
>>
>>2051161
For grappling particularly, you need to get good at something. Develop a style.
For judo, I practice ouchi-gari, De ashi harai and harai Goshi endlessly, so I can do it without really thinking in a fight.
Similarly, on the ground ive made leg and arm triangles almost instinctual.
Youre doing BJJ. Learn a takedown, learn a counter from judo, and focus on a few things, then be extremely aggressive with them.
>>2051210
I personally am of the opinion they are trying to make gripfighting a lot more aggressive
>>
I accidentally asleeped during class because my instructor was using me as an example and I didn't tap fast enough while he was explaining the choke

it came on so suddenly, and I was just so warm and comfy. Deaths sweet embrace was very welcoming.
>>
>>2049856
Ones where they train well. Think how we talk about krabby mcjew and its awful quality control, cma's is even worse. The least shit stuff I've seen other than when they do sanda or whatever is usually grappling. I think I remember seeing a baji thing that didn't look too awful, but theres so many styles that I lose track of the names.
>>
Anyone here train in Kyokushin? I have two dojos near me, IKO3 and All Japan Kyokushin Union. Which is the better affiliation to train under? I wish to travel and train at the same time.
>>
>>2050252
Freestyle or greco roman wrestling.
>>
I've made videos about the basics of kickboxing, I added the big six punches and the big six kicks.

What do you think of the techniques? Also, what should I make the topic of my next video? What would a beginner need to know?

I also do some grappling, but I don't know how to make a good basic video for it. It is more complex movements and set-ups. Perhaps I'd teach kimura, armbar and traingle from full guard, then americana, armbar and rolling into triangle from full mount. Perhaps lockdown to electric chair to mount from half-guard. And armbar, kimura and americana from half guard. I don't know, it sounds like a really long video... Grappling is easier to just teach...

What would you put in a 5 minute video about grappling basics for beginners?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVHeil2BaH8
>>
>>2050398
I like the new grip rules, but I think it's quite retarded to make it easier to win through shido than through waza-ari.

>>2051161
Sure, all the time. But I still go through the motions and learn, even if it's stuff I'm not likely to ever use. The more you know, the more you understand the principles behind everything.

>>2052185
>What would you put in a 5 minute video about grappling basics for beginners?
Too much to choose from, you can't quite cover the fundamentals in 5 minutes. Pick a basic theme/position and work from there.
>>
>>2052185
Why are you pivoting off your lead foot when throwing a jab?
>>
>>2052874
Because there are actually many jabs. You're not to throw a jab in a jab-cross combo the same way you're doing it to stop one to enter your distance.
Boxing knows better.
>>2052185
Grappling is too complex.
>>
>>2053282
>Because there are actually many jabs. You're not to throw a jab in a jab-cross combo the same way you're doing it to stop one to enter your distance.
>Boxing knows better.

This. Flicking out your hip is how you get more power and snap off your jab if you want to without leaning/sacrificing your center.

Marvin Cook talks about it quite a bit in one of his videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmBwyfahD0
>>
For other Judoka, BJJ folks welcome too

I find myself defaulting to Sankaku Jime during ne waza quite often and I've no idea why, it's not that I'm particularly good at it or anything, in fact I'd almost say I'm kind of sub par, but I just always seem to find myself consciously or unconsciously working my way there.

Does anyone else find this with their groundwork? That they seem to prioritise one technique, even if it's not their best, over others? Also any advice on improving my Sankaku?
>>
>>2052874
You think boxing actually has a set of unbreakable rules?

I can bet right now you only ever trained with 1-2 coaches.

No 2 boxers are ever alike.
>>
>>2053561
I don't see anything wrong with that if you find yourself submitting people with it but you should try perfecting your technique if that is what you want to do. Also looking at vids on youtube (other than getting help from your instructor) though not every video on there is very good.
>>
>>2049886
>sanda is just a weaker Muay Thai with spin kicks and Chinese throws.
Muay Thai is just shitty Sanda for aggressive, dirty, and poor Thai people.
>>
>>2052874
d-do you not? that's how I've always taught it
I didn't know there were people who didn't do that
>>
>>2053993
RUDE
>>
>>2051366
>they are trying to make gripfighting a lot more aggressive
they want MORE slappycakes?

The changes I want is if shido doesn't count towards anything until you get disqualified (that means golden score etc still continues)

And if leg grabs won't give you penalties if you score
>>
>>2053282
>>2053862
>>2054038
Ey relax guys it was a legitimate question, not a judgment. After some quick googling I see there are a number of jabs. This article explains it well
http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-techniques/punch-techniques/5-types-of-jabs
>>
>>2053561
Talk to a bjj player on tips to get it tight.
>>
>>2050010
>Chinese styles are better with weapons, but can't beat guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz7EmDxhtU
>>
>>2054239
Anon started it by insulting the magnificent art of Sanda.
>>
>>2050702
>Chinese arts aren't really all that practical
They're fine if, like how you train any other martial art, you train them seriously. Chinese arts might be different and esoteric but their not impractical, How you train your art and whether you take it seriously makes it practical or impractical and the blame for that shouldn't be lain a the feet of the art.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7td8Hc-V4
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHqlGwLcStA
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxplpQIQdEY
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTobujuHQmQ
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98fDOt6kck0
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrHSbKQ9AHA
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzi3FUhF8E
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZsRy972LJ8
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUFDCe0N0xg
>Maybe back in the day when there were no guns and standing in horse stance all day to develop a nuclear punch was worth your time but it's better to think of those things as hobbies.
Gross overgeneralization
>>
I found this, some pretty good shit here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7eEfpJu4Oo

my advice though, skip over any of the russian parts. People don't fight, they just strut around talking shit in gibberish for 5 minutes, get punched once, then give up and walk off
>>
>>2054336
I really need to get a track suit
>>
>>2053561
Definitely, but by now I've developed several submission chains that work quite well. Anyway, bunch of sankaku tips, more or less in order of importance

>keep their head low (grab your shin or back of their head)
>toes up
>shin goes directly below knee
>underhook their free arm and pull yourself at an angle
>(alternatively use their leg or hip, but may be out of reach)
>push leg into their neck, curl down with other leg
>move the trapped arm across your body
Bonus if you did everything perfect and they still don't tap somehow: grab around your knee and their head, hook fingers above their head, straighten arms. Alternative version: https://youtu.be/cOMmH4mT77s?t=244

I know Judo traditionally places far greater emphasis on moving the arm across the body, but the other steps offer more control and make it superfluous. Only required when you're facing someone with both high choke resistance and a pencil neck. Also, if I recall correctly, pulling down on the head is still forbidden in Judo.
>>
>>2054329
mythbusters are bullshit
>>
>>2054336
>Chinese arts aren't really all that practical
>Out of the entirety of them only one can be found used in a fight
>>
Why are 90% of the people I've met who do martial arts cunts?
>>
>>2055326
Maybe you do martial arts that cunts like
>>
>>2055331
I don't even do marital arts I just work part time as a janitor at a place that teaches them .
>>
>>2055336
People may jump at me but I have the feeling that aggressive martial arts are 90% just people who want to beat up other people
>>
>>2055339
It just seems like half the time people either have the attitude that they're gonna be a super badass and beat up anyone who gives them any guff or they're going to be batman.

idk, i just haven't met anyone who seems like a normal person for the most part outside of a few of the instructors
>>
>>2055326
usually the cunts aren't very good.

as one of my coaches said to the new students the other day
>everybody here is cool, hopefully you are also. what ever you give us is what you'll get back

meaning if you're nice and want to learn, everybody will be nice and try to teach you. and if you're a cunt, we will just knock the shit out of you until your attitude changes or you quit or go somewhere else
>>
chuan fa practitioner here

i believe that the two largest reason why cma in the west/mma is only starting to find a footing is because of government interference and chinese secrecy. the chinese just did not want to teach to foreigners, and only a few teachers in little pockets have actually been willing to teach instead of only providing a workout while taking money.

it seems like canada is having a bit of a martial arts renaissance, i had the chance to go to a swordsmanship seminar at the fighting art collective in toronto and their facility is incredible. there's also dynasty clothing, an apparel company that sponsor chinese mma fighters and fighters that train in cma. they recently had a seminar with their sponsored fighters teaching.
>>
>>2054355
>14:05
>Car-Fu Jitsu
>>
File: 1476638505178.png (708KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476638505178.png
708KB, 1280x720px
>>2055686
>the chinese don't want to teach to foreigners
>so they teach in canada
>>
>>2055941
they know canadians naturally have poor fine motor skills from decades of heavy drinking, in breeding, and sitting in the cold.

they will never truly master the arts so it's safe to teach it to them
>>
>>2055457
>>
File: 2448563856376377.jpg (49KB, 423x446px) Image search: [Google]
2448563856376377.jpg
49KB, 423x446px
>>2055941
>didn't
as i said there were a few pockets, but even i'll admit you can trance my lineage to complete bullshido. central alberta has a large asian population because of the railways, where they migrated east. look into margitte hilbig

i don't affiliate with the FAC but if i lived in toronto i would probably practice some of the arts they host. i got into chinese swordsmanship through another connection for a short time then had the chance to take a seminar led by scott rodell.

>tfw your entire lion/dragon dance team is white
>>
>>2055952
Nah they're just a chinese colony
>>
>>2055346
>idk, i just haven't met anyone who seems like a normal person for the most part
It's because martial arts is used by weird people. Martial arts is also for people who are better than other people, better enough to kind of be Batman, with some of them actually better enough than other people to actually be Batman.
>>
>>2056162
This, crossfit fags bitch about accidentally hurting their shins while a muay thai practitioner conditions them on purpose. People who do martial arts are above everyone else when it comes to mental toughness
>>
>>2056355
Crossfitters are such fags
>>
>>2056393
we have 2 of those coming in soon, they are bros 4 leif

I'll be interested in seeing how they even handle the work out when they aren't allowed to swing and kip their way through the exercises
>>
>>2056393
I'm convinced that crossfit is a cult that turns you into a stereotypical white girl.
>>
>>2056162
Holy fuck that was autistic
>>
>>2056355
"My circle jerk cult is cooler than your circle jerk cult!"
>>comparing shin splints to bruises
nigger what
>>
>>2057373
t. Crosshitter
>>
>>2058176
Please, crossfiters have a much longer life expectancy than nak muay. There are plenty of reason for this.
>>
>>2058544
>There are plenty of reason for this
It's just because crossfitters live in nice and clean developed neighborhoods with advanced medical and hygienic practices.
>>
How do I find a martial arts club that doesn't seem like I'm being scammed or recruited by a cult? I found this great one near by me, but everytime I read peoples opinions about it. It's all referring to this one guy like he's fucking god incarnate and how he saved his kids from cancer because he showed up to one of their baseball games or some shit.

The guy who runs it seems like a great guy but the inner cynic in me tells me he's a evil robot because no one can be that perfect.
>>
I have a fight at 170 feburary 2nd
due to unforeseen circumstances I'm currently at 225

how am I going to do this in time?
>>
>>2059457
You're 55 pounds overweight can someone even safely lose that weight by the fight?
>>
>>2059457
Pull out so you dont kill yourself
>>
>>2054287

Hey, I'm the guy who made the basics video.

I prefer to teach the one where you pivot on your lead foot as a basic technique. It feels right, because now all the punches have the hip put into them, so it is easier to understand what the movement consists of.

Then when they know the entire movement I can give them shortcuts to use when sparring. Like stepping foreward and jabbing over a bent lead leg, then turn the hips to square off into the cross by lifting the rear heel off the floor. This footwork sets up for a shortcut to the muay thai cut kick. And if we go low-kick, this will also change how you pivot on your lead leg when you throw hooks, because somebody might take your leg out. So there are lots of variation.

I made a video about sparring for beginners, where I make changes to the guard. I tell them to glue their hands to their forehead and use footwork to evade punches, rather than leaning. This is because beginners get scared when they get punched in the face, but when they get punched in the guard they feel like the guard is keeping them safe and begin trusting their defence and learnig where punches land. After that you can teach them to slip, bob and weave, then they can have a lower guard.
>>
>>2059179
Just don't think about it as long as it isn't too expensive and your improving its good.
>>
>>2058893
Nope. Muay thai is much harder on the body. Repeated blows to the head do things to the brain that crossfit won't ever do.
>>
File: VapidElatedDotterel.webm (165KB, 372x210px) Image search: [Google]
VapidElatedDotterel.webm
165KB, 372x210px
>>2053370
Thanks for the video.
>>2053561
You just like this technique. You have to learn how to place it from different position thouhg. A sankaku from thet guard is not the same as a sankaku from tate shio gatame.
Prioritizing technique is called finding your game. Everybody has to learn it. Elite grapplers have to since their abilities (flexibility, strenght, endurance, speed, coordination,...) differs.
>>
Can someone link some good martial arts youtube channels, i'll be spending the next couple of days in a hospital. Need something to watch.
>>
>>2060712
>full contact martial arts are more dangerous than assisted bosu ball box band squats.
Color me surprised
>>
>>2059457
Cut off one of your legs
>>
>>2059457
Out of sheer curiosity, how - other than medical reasons - does one get so far above one's fight weight? Worst I've done is ~15-20lbs or so one month out.

Anyway, for dropping that much weight in that time either requires a strict meal plan possibly alongside a water cut during the last week, or a three week self-sustained hike. Or pull out.
>>
>>2065456
Basically
>supposed to fight December 5th
>tear a ligament early November
>on the couch for 6 weeks because can't walk
>chubbing intensifies
>better enough to do light training
>get a cold that lingers for 2 weeks
>finally back on Friday
>asked to fight Feb 2nd
>lol k
>>
>>2055941
The Chinese teach foreigners. They teach them forms. practical knowledge is restricted to inner students who are almost all Chinese except for rare exceptions.

Now I am not implying that those with inner knowledge are going to clean up against a good mma guy, just that there is a difference in the quality of what they learn
>>
Just to keep the conversation going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfwibVvzqs

I made a new video about footwork, mainly getting in and out of range using what I in the video refer to as a stomp step and a tiger stance. The reason I call it a stomp step is that you stomp your lead leg forward. The reason why I call it a tiger stance is that it looks like the tiger stance in muay thai, taekwondo and karate.

I know the tiger stance is more than just a slide back, it is a whole system with tactics for all kinds of striking, clinching and takedowns. But I was thinking, what is the first they should learn? So I thought, just teach them to slide back with the tiger stance, then next vid I can show how to twist on the ball of the lead leg into a turn kick, or lean into a teep, or fall forward into elbow or something like that.

I also wanna do videos with grappling basics. But nobody wants to get filmed, I could use a dummy, would that be okay?
>>
Does anybody have the gif of the fight with two people wearing red sambo kurtka, when the guy does a flying omoplata. It think it got removed from google because he broke the guys shoulder.
>>
File: monkey_king_01.jpg (242KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
monkey_king_01.jpg
242KB, 1000x1000px
>>2055686

Hnnnnnnnggghh

I just thought about chinese designed MMA gear and came so hard!

THIS! THIS!!!!
>>
>>2066921
That looks like what you'd find in a 10 dollar chocolate egg
>>
>>2056355

Uhm actually...

In Muay Thai you condition your shins by kicking semi soft objects, causing micro-fractures that heal, making the density of the bone greater.

In crossfit you scrape your shins with the barbell rod, often during tough deadlifts.

The two are qualitatively different, one is a must for the sport, the other one is something to be avoided.

If there is one thing martial artists should do more it is to lift wheights. They should warm up, lift wheights, then do martial arts. It's not the best way, but it beats not lifting at all, and I know most practitioners skip the lifting if they wait until after training.

Jump rope ten minutes, do 30 of all the bodywheight exercises. Then do 2 of the four main lifts, then stretch and work out your martial art.
>>
>>2059179

Easy.

Do they compete?

If they compete they must have a high level, because they're facing people from other clubs.

Not competing is a huge no-no. If that is the case you must ask: What is in it for me? For a beginner it is easy, there is not so much you learn from your first year:

Guard, breathing, eye-contact, footwork, straight punches, a hook ever once in a while. Front kick, roundkick, knee, grabbing the head and knee. Ogoshi, harai goshi, double leg, single leg. Armbar, americana, kimura, triangle, omoplata from mount, sidecontrol and guard. That is what I give to the people I teach, is he giving you that deal?
>>
>>2060885

I'm gonna be completely honest, I don't even wanna give you this advice because it is so good.

Look at saenchai fights, sparring and seminars. The look at the rubber guard and twister system from Eddie Bravo and rat guard system from radicalMMA. MMAsurge is great. Master A for Muay thai. Master K is a hidden gem. Also protaekwondo australia is great. Fight vision is really good too. Donnie Yen has some good movies where he does MMA.
>>
>>2066439

Either pull out, celebrate christmas or lock yourself in for a week and eat nothing but water, laxatives and spinach. Then only sparr with a personal fight coach and work on that the rest of the time before the fight.

I advice you to do the first.
>>
File: godless_myth_05.jpg (136KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
godless_myth_05.jpg
136KB, 600x600px
>>2066929

They look freaking awesome!
>>
>>2066939
>owwy I scraped my shin :(
Crosshitter
>>
>>2059457
>unforeseen circumstances
So you didn't see the pounds and pounds of cookies and butter you were shoveling in your fat face? You need to pull out asap because you're not going to make the cut and when you don't, it's going to be disrespectful as fuck to the person you're supposed to fight. For their sake and for everyone else's sake, you should pull out now and not give them some kind of false expectations.
>>
File: after two hits.jpg (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
after two hits.jpg
8KB, 284x177px
I'm traveling this winter and when I come back I want to begin practicing a martial art.

What do you guys think of Aikido?
>>
>>2068519
aikido is always hit or miss, but why are you wanting to practice a martial art?
>>
>>2068575
When I was younger I did karate and really really enjoyed it, but had to stop because of financial reasons. I've been looking into places in my city. Aikido is appealing because I like the idea of a martial art that doesn't harm.

Why is it hit or miss?
>>
>>2068689
Because practitioners of aikido are known to only train in compliant drills that do little more than massage the ego of the schools master. You can train any martial art without the intent to harm.
>>
>>2068689
Dude if you don't care that the martial art you do is completely useless then do it but learning it is not self defense.
>>
>>2068689
>a martial art that doesn't harm
That should be a red flag right there, it's more just dance at that point
>>
Boxfag here. I wanna become a counter-oriented fighter, but I dunno what muscles to work in order to develop fast hooks. I've been doing stuff for my chest and abs, but my hooks don't feel any faster
>>
File: fat_guy_bjj.jpg (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
fat_guy_bjj.jpg
48KB, 250x250px
>when the 300lbser wants to roll with you
just suffocate my shit up senpai
>>
Any Soldiers ITT, specifically near Fort Campbell? I'm looking to get into Jiu Jitsu, and need a good gym
>>
>>2069254
>when youre the heavy guy and have to be reminded to put pressure on people during newaza
Judo guys seem to love their fucking crushing pins.
>>
>>2069162
If you're a counter puncher you need deadlift and squats. You'll be rolling with your legs and core, setting up the body shot. Do a lot of bob weave drills too, get the hooks down. Learn the philly shell and cuz d'amato stuff, bob and weave, slip, pole counters. You need core and legs for that stuff. Better footwork too.
>>
>>2067096
thank you very much
>>
>>2068689
Martial arts are meant to harm. Even Aikido.
The practice shouldn't though. But to keep in touch with reality, sparring requires that to put yourself in situation where you may get hurt badly..
If you don't face those situation in sparring, you don't train a martial art but dancing.
>>2069254
Just wristlock him. It will create space to escape.
>>
>>2066439
You dun goofed anon. Always adjust caloric intake to activity levels, even if it sucks. I balloon up as well if I don't.

At this point, it's either pulling out or a quite unpleasant cut without cheat meals or Christmas dinner.
>>
File: awesome.jpg (155KB, 439x454px) Image search: [Google]
awesome.jpg
155KB, 439x454px
>>2069254
>when the 300lbs'er wants to roll with you but you're faster, stronger and have better technique than him
>>
I've been practicing Kick Boxing and Ju jitsu for a solid year. Managed to drop 13 kilos so far and I feel fucking amazing. Nevertheless, I feel like I'm hitting a plateau and I'm making progress slowly. I wanna take it to the next level, is weightlifting necessary?
>>
>>2069991
Plateau for skill or fitness? Are you sparring?
>>
>>2070237
For fitness. We spar at least once a week. I feel like I'm lacking on explosiveness and strength, I'm ok with my skill level and the drills and exercises come out well, but when we spar I always come off short.
>>
>>2067147
I went on that site and a lot of the stuff is pretty nice, I really like the hong kong set on sale right now

it's too bad the closes seem to be explicitly for chinese people
>>
>>2069991
>>2070281
Everyone I know that trains hit plateau, it happens. Just don't be disheartened and keep training, you'll always start climbing if you keep training.
>>
File: wrestlerboner.jpg (33KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
wrestlerboner.jpg
33KB, 403x403px
>>2069254

I rather roll with heavy guy than boner guy.
>>
>>2070562
That is a short and very thick peen
>>
Anyone take their friends to bjj class? I'm bringing a girl tomorrow to try a class I hope it goes well.
>>
I'm training to be a boxer and I was thinking of switching up how I run. Usually, I'll just imitate the rounds by 3 minutes of sprinting and
1 minute of jogging. Repeat until I've run 2 miles.
Now I'm thinking about just trying to sprint the 2 miles. Seems much more difficult but some say it's more efficient for building stamina.

Thoughts?
>>
File: box jump.gif (3MB, 281x361px) Image search: [Google]
box jump.gif
3MB, 281x361px
>>2073167
>Sprinting 2 miles.
>Sprinting 3 minutes.
You're not sprinting lad.
A sprint is 400m maximum. A sprint is 1 minute max.
Do hill sprints instead 100 to 150 m. not more. the steeper, the better. if the slope rate is growing along the slope, it is the best.
Sprint up, jog down, no rest.
Jog time not more than twice sprint time.
4 to 8 times in a row. If you can do more than 8, you're not sprinting fast enough.
>>
>>2059457
I'm down to 218.5
a-am I gonna make it!?
>>
>>2073057
>taking a girl you like to a place where guys can motorboat and knock around her titties while they grind against her pussy
why are you cucking yourself?
>>
>>2073924
Don't worry I was doing that while her bf was watching us
>>
>>2073924
you're what's wrong with /asp/
[spoiler]life isn't all about getting laid, and if you are focusing so much on getting laid, you're not getting laid[/spoiler]
>>
What do you bjj people think about locking the leg nearest his phase on top during armbar from spider web? Do you transition faster to rolling triangle that way?
>>
File: shoulder twist.gif (4MB, 427x252px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder twist.gif
4MB, 427x252px
>>2074464
>phase?
didn't understand what you want to do, because "phase" is no body part.
Nevermind, this should answer your question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4hlBJvum0E
.gif unrelated but useful.
>>
>>2070588
foreshortening. It's actually three yards long
>>
>want to learn a martial art
>just to have some sort of way to defend myself
>don't think I'm going to be batman just want to be able to have some knowledge however basic it may be

What should I learn?

I've never even been in a fight so I basically know nothing.
>>
>>2074644
What is in your area? The quality of instruction is more important than what style the school teaches.
>>
File: oooo.jpg (839KB, 1281x1961px) Image search: [Google]
oooo.jpg
839KB, 1281x1961px
where do i find it?
>>
>>2074644
Bjj is a very good self defense I'd recommend it over any tma for self defense but also there are bjj schools that specifically focus on self defense.
>>
>>2074723
>pure grappling for self defense
No
>>
If I pick up fighting as a hobby, what kind of gym should I go to? Is a UFC gym worth it? One opened nearby and it's $70 a month

My area has a shitton of random specific martial gyms-- boxing, judo, karate, bjj, ect and I'm wondering what I should do

wew didnt see this thread
>>
>>2074723
bjj (est.1909) is a tma, it predates karate (est.1924) by over a decade
>>
>>2074901
>est.1909
Sounds like utter bullshit
>>
>>2074644
Consider what >>2074669 said, but generally a competitive boxing or kickboxing style, or for grappling judo with at least decent groundwork or bjj with decent standup. If you do judo, judst make sure you can defend a double leg. Or you could just go mma or somesuch, though the price varies as much as bjj.
>>2074872
Whichever does best in their resoective competitions probably.
>>
>>2074723
>Bjj is a very good self defense

Want to know how I figured you have never been in a real street fight?

In self defence you're in an uncontrolled environment, usually against an undetermined amount of opponents, but rarely if ever in a one to one match. Pure grappling is the diametrical opposite to what most of this fights require.

For starters, grappling implies compromising mobility. If shit hits the fan, running away is a perfectly valid strategy (by example, if the guy pulls a knife; any reasonable trainer knows the best defence in this situation is running away), and against multiple opponents (your average fight) is perhaps the only option. But most BJJ techniques require the practiser to tackle down the opponent and roll around, setting themselves in a helpless position against situations that are very typical, like the described above.

Which lead us to the next point: BJJ is very technical. A wrong turn and you're the one twisting your own limb. And even then, even if perfectly applied, many techniques (like most chokes and submissions) require time to be effective, which once again compromise the defender to keep the hold, making him vulnerable to the environment.

And finally, bjj lacks striking, and quite often, striking is the most effective way to finish a fight. A perfectly executed strike and the lights are out instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUw7OXXGwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTal1jCbRpc

I would nominate plain boxing as one of the best self defence arts.

>But muh kicking! *boxergetskicked.webm*
>LOL boxers can't roll for shit

For self defence purposes, not the cage, boxing is perfectly fine as proved above. Most people don't train anything at all, and if you're engaging in a street fight with someone who effectively do anything of the above, then you either have bad luck, or bring this upon yourself by picking fights everywhere.
>>
>>2074901
TMA isna dumb term the way its usually used anyways. Judo started around 1880 I think and its a modern art that probably gets considered traditional by lots of people just because its japanese and you wear a gi.
>>
>>2074936
you certainly don't think the gracies founded it, do you?
they weren't even the best practitioners at the time, they just marketed themselves the best
>>
>>2074943
I've been in multiple street fights all before I started bjj and I agree boxing is good for self defense(If you're good at it which would take longer than bjj) but trading punches with someone is a good way to get knocked out. When there are multiple attackers karate won't save you (Running will).
>>
>>2075134
if you're good you shouldn't really be trading, you should just be feeding punches

karate a best for multiple attackers, kickboxing if you know how to clinch is good too

the main moves you need for multiple attackers in order of importance are
teeps
clinch
knees

if you are any kind of fighter a regular guy shouldn't even be able to make it past your front kicks so crowd control should be pretty easy
if they bum rush you then you just need a clinch on one of them and the rest shouldn't be able to touch you. You're putting a physical barrier between you and the other people which you can freely move around as a shield
the knees are just there to soften up the guy you're holding on to and thing the herd
>>
File: 1458523702558.jpg (22KB, 327x449px) Image search: [Google]
1458523702558.jpg
22KB, 327x449px
1) Will my progress in BJJ be much worse if will do 2 workouts per week instead of standard 3 workouts per week?
2) Will I build some muscles and gain weight if I will add 2 barbell strength workouts to those 2 BJJ workouts per week?

t. skinny guy
>>
>>2075562
By workouts do you mean classes and yes going 3 days a week you will get better faster
>>
>>2075595
>do you mean classes
yes
>>
File: short man ko.gif (2MB, 429x351px) Image search: [Google]
short man ko.gif
2MB, 429x351px
>>2074723
Bjj is bad in self defense.
Not enough time is spent on the stand up game, both striking and grappling.
Most of the school neglect it. Some don't. Those who don't are actually pretty good since bjj is excellent on the ground.
>>2074943
First post worth reading in a while here. But for some little unsupported claims it is spot on
>A wrong turn and you're the one twisting your own limb.
This is true with any technique, in any fight. Punch a skull with a badly clenched at the wrong angle and you're in trouble.
>A perfectly executed strike and the lights are out instantly.
It is worth for throws, chokes and locks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTsabfMTgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP9X2PHIx3o
This is true with any worthwile techniques sets if you train hardcore for enough times, often one to two years 4/5 times a week.
>>
>>2049856
I'm almost 25. Is this too old to start BJJ / MMA?
>>
>>2075562
Yes to both questions. But eat loads as well. Because even if you think you eat a lot now, I can assure you you don't.

T. former skinny guy
>>
>>2076028
Not even close. It is a little too old to be able to it carefree and recklessly though. Do it. You'll Iove it but respect your joints.
>>
>>2068519

I've practiced it for some time. Really it depends on your dojo and quality of instructors.

If you get into it, you will quickly realize that some people are there for the martial aspects of it, others are there for the spiritual hippy side.

I do find it to be very effective and my dojo practices fairly realistically . We also have a group that practices systema, so a bit of that bleeds into the general classes as well.
>>
>>2068519
I have alot of respect for Aikido.

It is what it is which a particular subsection of the mother art ...wether I'm right to call that Ju Jitsu or not... that's trained to an autistic level. It can be very effective and there's plenty of lessons to be learned.
>>
>>2076196

You're not kidding about the autistic level of repetition in training. I did so much Irimi Nage last night.
>>
>>2076196
>It can be very effective
That's very true. It can also be very ineffective. Using Aikido, the way it's trained a lot, against untrained and unarmed opponents, is kind of hit and miss with working, depending on how much there is a lack of training there is with the opponents. Using Aikido after having trained it for 4 hours every day for 5 years with modern training methodologies with the purpose of application in the targeted scenarios, based on scientific information, then sure, Aikido will work a lot of the time against a majority of people.

>there's plenty of lessons to be learned
That's very true, as well.
>>
>>2075999
The school I go to focuses a lot on takedowns the advanced classes has mma gloves for ground and pound
>>
>>2055317
>Out of the entirety of them only one can be found used in a fight
You can find more if you look and in the entire history of kung fu it hasn't only been used in a video. It was made for fighting and self defense and if it could't be used for either and had no application; it wouldn't still be around
>>
>Just started BJJ
>club seems really good
>find out they do almost no stand up
>i.e. someone tells me the last time they drilled it was 6 months ago and he's never sparred on his feet
>find out the coach is teaching aikido to a student after class
>"Judo breakfalls don't work unless you have a mat"
>we eventually do a tiny bit of grip fighting training standing up
>get told off for having a straight posture like I was taught in judo instead of hunching over

H-help
I don't want to slip up and tell the coach that aikido is bullshit and that hunching over like a BJJ guy just makes you an easy target
>>
>>2076184
>aikido/systema fighting system
Truly the power combo for defeating a completely untrained opponent. Nigger what are you doing
>>
>>2077146
>Judo breakfalls don't work unless you have a mat
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQrk192dkRI
>>
>>2077146
This is my concern about BJJ - I wanna learn that plus some legitimate striking but I don't want to have to pay out the ass for both
>>
>>2077278
you need to make sure whomever is in charge is not a bjj4leif fag
they live in a bubble that's as bad as any bullshit mcdojo

if bjj is the only thing they are a high level in, they aren't qualified to be a teacher. The only way to effectively utilize something is to be aware of its shortcomings.

Luckily my bjj coach is redpilled about it because he's a master of sport in sambo also, so while the assistant instructor teaches spider guard and de la riva and all that fancy bullshit, the head guy says "get mount and punch the shit out of him, you dont have time to be rolling around on the ground like an asshole looking for a submission when there could be debris or other people around"
>>
>>2077313
There's this one place near me that also has MMA classes which seem to focus on striking and takedowns
>>
>>2077348
>seem to focus on striking and takedowns
MMA fights start standing up; it makes sense to focus on those things.
>>
File: jAyHtSV.png (64KB, 395x578px) Image search: [Google]
jAyHtSV.png
64KB, 395x578px
>be 4 stripe white belt
>roll with blue belt female who only comes to practice once every couple weeks so she sux
>valley drop
>go to side control
>slowly maneuver into KOB
>realize my knee is right above her crotch
>start smelling piss as I move into mount
>mfw she's trying to wiggle loose to run to the bathroom but I got my hooks in and keep blocking
>>
>>2077769
I don't knee on belly girls, it's mean
>>
>>2077782
I do for a step over triangle
>>
>>2077146
By "hunching over" do you mean like a wrestling stance or just a general unathletic hunched over position?
>>
Why is bjj so expensive as a NEET I've had to dig into my savings bonds to afford it.
>>
>>2078881
>wasting money as a NEET
How
>>
>>2078886
I live at my parents house and I'm using the last of my money on bjj
>>
>>2078956
Why don't you keep it just in case?
>>
>>2078959
Because it makes me happy.
>>
>>2078881
because it is really well marketed and that's it. You should first check and see if you have a rec center that offers judo classes which is normally like $20 a month
>>
>>2078970
This might be stupid but how do you find out do you just go to all of them and ask or are they online?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129KB, 720x960px
>tfw you realize after 3 years of MMA training that you hate grappling and just want to do Muay Thai all the time

Feels good man. I'm done with having sweaty wrestlers lay on top of me.
>>
>>2079116
yeah I guess
>>
File: 1430991244324.png (274KB, 600x572px) Image search: [Google]
1430991244324.png
274KB, 600x572px
>tfw working two jobs and taking care of newborn son and coach said he's keeping me at blue belt until I start coming more than 3 days a week

suicide when?
>>
>>2079268

Sell baby.
>>
>>2079268
quit that place and find somewhere new

your coach is a dick for not understanding you have responsibilities in life other than martial arts
>>
>>2079297
The only other martial arts place in my town is Aikido and from what I've read on here it isn't worth training.
>>
>>2079192
>tfw you've been the #1 p4p nak muay for over 2 decades

saenchai is based.
>>
>>2079268
It's the plight of bjj...
Start to do a bjj journal. It will help your retention rate of technique and to link technique together.
>>
>>2079302
Stay there keep getting better eventually you'll have more mat time than their fresh blackbelts and at 4 stripe blue belt you'll dominate everyone at your school.
>>
>>2079268
>newborn
>2 jobs
That's where you went wrong.

All you need is shelter, food, a job to help sustain shelter and food, and martial arts training.

You don't need a car and all the financial bullshit that comes with it, you don't need furniture, you don't need a television, you don't need a computer, you don't need internet, you don't need family, you don't need friends, you don't need a significant other, you don't need nice clothes, you don't need a lot of electricity.
You don't even need a bed.
>>
File: 7547848457.jpg (73KB, 671x660px) Image search: [Google]
7547848457.jpg
73KB, 671x660px
>>2079912
slow down there lao tzu

>>2079268
best to be an over qualified blue belt with a life than an under qualified brown belt that has lost everything
>>
>>2079268
Start entering tournaments, and that way you can dominate the blue belt division. Then you can get everyone in the circuit mad at your coach because they will think your coach is sandbagging.
>>
>>2080020
Because he would be sandbagging
>>
File: KjWS9Wv.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KjWS9Wv.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2080046
Regardless, might as well win some tournaments in the meantime.
>>
>>2080020
Do this. Also, your coach is a piece of shit.
>>
Bump cause fuck wwe
>>
>>2080488
shit coach really, mine just had a baby and I haven't seen him in 3 weeks. Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>2079192

If you real hate grappling then you should actually do kickboxing and not muay thai.

A proper muay thai fighter will need a have good clinch game even you like it or not.
>>
How do I improve my cardio for bjj?
>>
>>2081766
Just go for runs for improving cardio or something similar.

Joining an MMA gym with good teachers in Muay Thai, wrestling, boxing and BJJ. Excited for that shit
>>
>>2079192
>>2081437
>If you real hate grappling then you should actually do kickboxing and not muay thai.
Maybe he should do Karate so he's not restricting his strikes to just kicking and punching.
>>
>>2081437
>If you real hate grappling then you should actually do kickboxing and not muay thai.
Maybe he hates ground grappling, but finds stand-up fun.
>>
>>2081854
But then he'd have to have a good place near him tho
>>
>>2081904
>But then he'd have to have a good place near him tho
You don't need a good place when you've got good training partners.
>>
>>2079116
You're right. That was stupid.
>>
/asp/ needs more people doing shit like this.

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48kZ5LFZblw

Analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0mSAeVDcYI

What the fuck happened?
>>
Is $32/week an okay price for BJJ?

They do 6 classes per week, but 3 of those are on at weekday lunchtimes.
>>
>>2082063
you can't even fucking see what's happening. this video is shit.
>>
>>2082123
this is a stale video that i still do not comprehend because the visual is shit. please make something new that is at least in focus
>>
>>2082103
standard
>>
File: 1413208281776.jpg (76KB, 1080x610px) Image search: [Google]
1413208281776.jpg
76KB, 1080x610px
Ok, one of you shitheads told me Judo is the best martial art for tossing a 300lb man.

You guys lied to me. I started judo and the overweight white belt judoka terrify everyone in the fucking dojo. If you are skinny it is literally impossible to toss a larger person. Double leg? Forget about. They will fucking fall and drop every ounce of their girth on your ass.

Not even the black belts can handle them standing up. Once they tire out, and fall to the ground its game over though.

But I just want to Ippon a hamplanet like in my japanese animes.
Is that too much to fucking ask???
>>
>>2082249
Just get really good. I'd give actual help but I'm a newbie too and I'm the one at my place who's the fat fuck.
>>
>>2082260
No amount of "getting good" is going to help a 150lb guy toss or flip someone much heavier and bigger than he is.
I have literally never seen it doen in real life. Its impossible. The ONLY way is to become a fatass tub of lard like your opponent and only then you will be large enough to throw them around.
But please, stop perpetuating this myth some tiny guy can completely flip some gigantic brute flat on his back.
The closest you will do is a single leg and hope he doesn't stuff your shot or just dust you off of him like he's swatting a fly.
>>
>>2082249
thats a funny picture

also you need obviously just do some tripping combinations to sweep his legs out
>>
>>2082369
trying to sweep someone thats like 300lb+ is like trying to knock down a lamp post by kicking it.
Not gonna happen.
>>
>>2082372
You aren't sweeping correctly. If the leg is bearing weight, you missed your opportunity. Sweeps require the least physical effort, but have the most strict window of timing
>>
>>2082341
Just bulk tho
>>
>>2082410
I may as well just stop practicing Judo then lol.
Just admit it not effective against people that are fucking huge.
>>
>>2082414
If that isn't something you only want to do then you could try bjj, i'm not saying they have better throws but they focus mainly on newaza
>>
>>2082063
Stop posting this. It wasn't good when you first tried to get it recognized and it's still bad now
>>
>>2082414
>>2082249
no grappling art will be effective against opponents that are obscenely heavy and/or strong. Even strikers will have trouble going up against someone who outweighs them by an significant amount.

You're never gonna ippon a hamplanet, the best way to win that fight is to lightly jog circles around them until they collapse.
>>
>>2082063

Thus is just terrible. You can hardly see what is going on. Film closer, its asp, we're not gonna raid you. We do mma, we're based mma people. Only cuckbelts need to show off, losers from lesser martial arts, like aikido, systema and taekwondo. Fuck them and their useless belts, confiscate their gi's!
>>
>>2082372

your teacher needs to teach you about kuzushi
you get him already moving in that direction, then all you are doing is blocking his foot from stepping where it needs to go in order to maintain his balance. He throws himself
>>
>>2082528
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48kZ5LFZblw
>>
>>2082528
>>2082799
>He throws himself
This.
>>
>>2082414
If you're thinking of throwing him as a muscle through thing then of course not. I'm not saying some shit like "be supah skilled take no strength man" but kuzushi and countering stuff with your own throws has a steep learning curve when you're not a little japanese boy who's been learning since 5 years old.
>>
File: transition and submission.gif (3MB, 420x303px) Image search: [Google]
transition and submission.gif
3MB, 420x303px
>>2082249
Seriously, you thought you could get it in one training session?
You're everything that's wrong with martial arts nowdays.
>But I just want to Ippon a hamplanet like in my japanese animes
It is more a matter of throwing your opponent, stay on both your feet, in total control of him/her and been able to chose which path is the best from there.
>>2082341
>No amount of "getting good" is going to help a 150lb guy toss or flip someone much heavier and bigger than he is
Yes, it is called training smart and relentlessly
>>2082414
You think you did work on Seoi Nage? how many time did you work it?100, 1000, 10000 times. if you did it less than 100 reps during the pas week, you did barely train it.
Think of it 20 times a move 5 times a week, i.e. 5 times 5 minutes over a 168 hours week or 25 of the10080 minutes of your past week. Nobody can call that small amount dedication.
TL;DR:
(Uchikomi a technique↑↑your age) Then it may work regardless of the difference of size and strenght.
>>2083006
You didn't understand properly. He throws himsleft because he has been set up to. if you don't create the original move to force him out of balance or to react to the change in the center of gravity, nothing is going to happen.
Kuzushi is easier to create when strong and heavy, but speed and timing - actually espescially timing - is the solution that one should be looking for.
>>
>>2082249
I've lateral tossed a 250+ guy many times at 165. Double legs are harder, but if you do a Burroughs style freight train double it's easier than cutting the corner. Get better and it'll come but don't come here to bitch and jerk off to how "big" these guys are. It's unsettling.
>>
>>2082414
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R39787ZLlMY

Fuck off pussy
>>
>>2083178
Both of those guys are equally huge.
Fuck off yourself.
Show me evidence of a guy less than 150lbs throwing someone that size on their back. Protip, you can't.
>>
Found this just for you "halp i cant do good as a beginner" anon https://www.reddit.com/r/judo/comments/26ew4k/hey_rjudo_what_are_your_5_go_to_throwstrips_for/
>>
>>2083238
>both of those guys are equally huge
Anon are you sure your 300 pound mate you can't throw is actually 300 and you're not just a non lifting manlet?
>>
>>2083238
>152 kg and 73 kg are the same
Kek GTFO you giant pussy. Just quit judo now because it's apparent that you're going to make excuses for your failures without really trying. This isn't for you.
>>
>>2083238
335 lbs = 160lbs

You're an idiot
>>
>>2083242
>>2083247
The only people here making up excuses are you mongrels that can't accept that it doesn't actually help guys like me when it was advertised to do so. Why so hostile???
In japan, a 5'4 150 japanese guy would never fight someone who is 6ft 300 lbs so Judo was not developed for those kinds of opponents.
And yes, both of those are guys a big!
Are you blind????
They would tower over me if I were to stand against them.
>>
>>2083253
To be fair he didn't toss that guy. He did a single leg lmfao
>>
>>2083256
>Why so hostile???
Do you have any self awareness?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQjdo9mDsTE&feature=youtu.be

This video shows some very interesting concepts we don't see too much of on /asp/.

One of the many utilizations of a jab-cross combo and some variations, some rhythm stuff, some distancing, some block-counter stuff, and even some stuff happening at the same time.

A Boxer mixes in a single attack with some 2 attack combos. A Wing Chun fighter uses a 2 movement combo along with timing.

The video also brings up some different combinations of ways to generate power.
>>
>>2083276
Im going to trust you and watch this, but if its the same type of bait we always have on /asp/ I'll be dissapointed.
>>
>>2083258
Duh because what kind of retard would try to do a standard hip toss on someone who is 200 pounds heavier than them? Sweep singles, arm drags, duck unders and trips are my go to moves on big guys. Acting like judo and wrestling are ineffective against bigger guys is idiotic when there are plenty of moves that a smart, technical practitioner can use.
>>2083256
What the fuck do you want? Everyone here has given you advice but you seem content to whine and moan without giving any effort.
>>
File: Block-Trap-Counter Punch.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Block-Trap-Counter Punch.gif
2MB, 360x202px
Here's something we don't see every day: trapping.

>guy on right uses left hand to pull down the guard on the guy on left's left arm
>guy on left blocks that like someone would block a jab
>guy on left then pulls down that arm and blocks it, creating an opening
>guy on left then throws a right straight punch to take advantage of that opening
>masterful Wing Chun right there
>>
>>2083276
That was the least technical, dumbest thing I've ever watched. Did you just pull two random Chinese middle schoolers off of the street and ask them to slap each other?
>>
File: planche a 25 b.gif.gif (3MB, 134x308px) Image search: [Google]
planche a 25 b.gif.gif
3MB, 134x308px
>>2083256
Because you don't put the needed work in.
>Tandoku renshyu
Work the technique by yourself. If your teacher knows his basics, he will teach you the move correctly so you can work it alone.
>Uchikomi
Work the move without the final push to throw many, many, many times.
I just worked o-soto gari and morote 20 times each, just the entry, the set up and connecting moves for more than an hour since my last post.
This when I just did judo not even once a week the past month, focusing on bjj.
Tandoku renshyu - self training - is what you should do twice a week, after your conditioning for judo. Then go to actual lesson learn new moves, details of past techniques and uchikomi them to oblivion. Randori is just to feel if you actually put the weight and timing well.
.gif related,
a great exercice for your conditioning.
>>
>>2083309
Good advice
>>
File: 83942509.gif (381KB, 460x285px) Image search: [Google]
83942509.gif
381KB, 460x285px
>>2083293
There is nothing to see. The initial attack is off balance, telegraphed and not properly aimed.
My late grandmother would have done better than both cunt on this .gif.
Stop being a faggot, go train instead of jerking off.
>>
>>2083320
That's a dank dance
>>
>>2083293
That doesn't work
>>
>>2083293
>if i was the boxer i would just overhand right that open face that's leaning forward
You're part of the reason why cma is a joke on this board
>>
>>2083276
Don't post here anymore faggot.
You're shit at WT and you're shit at boxing.
>>
>>2079268
Why bother? A belt's just a belt. I've been going even or better with all higher belts - with one exception - for at least a year, and got my blue belt well over two years ago. Still only two stripes, I may end up being a blue belt for four years.

But yeah, that's a bit of a dickish statement from your coach there.

>>2082249
>>2082414
Git gud. If I can do it on the back of half a decade of Judo, plenty of people can. I'm only a middleweight, and not even particularly good at tachi waza.

>>2082372
Been there, done that. It's about timing, balance breaking and weight distribution. Get those right, and you can - theoretically - sweep anyone. Heaviest dude I caught with a footsweep was 270lbs or so. Only had one grip to boot.
>>
how do i make my footwork faster?
>>
File: 1290889848623.gif (3MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1290889848623.gif
3MB, 300x200px
>>2083541
>ladder drills.
Each combat sport has its specific ones. basics drills work from footall to soccer to boxing to judo.
>Jump rope.
>Proper running/sprinting technique.
Youtube them.
>>2082535
>Against multiple attackers
Falling for this shitty may may.
You don't need to ippon them, you just need to throw them on the ground while keeping your balance on your feet.
>>
>>2083560
im a boxer, thank you.
>>
>>2083336
>sees concrete proof that it works
>says it doesn't work
>>
>>2083541
Move faster.
>>
File: Roundhouse Miss to Side Kick.gif (4MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Roundhouse Miss to Side Kick.gif
4MB, 360x202px
A classic.

>roundhouse kick
>opponent uses footwork and distancing to evade
>go into a bladed stance
>opponent moves back in using footwork and distancing
>throw side kick like Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson
>>
>>2083691
please stop embarrassing yourself
>>
File: Lyoto not so Machida.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Lyoto not so Machida.gif
2MB, 360x202px
Yeah, yeah, we all remember Lyoto Machida proving to the world that Karate is in fact the ultimate martial art, especially in the MMA hugfest,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JMkptIuko

and that you can knock grapplers the fuck out before they can even think about their closet homosexual "sport" bullshit, with a fancy Karate Crane Kick like in Karate Kid, or all of Wonderboy's ring stuff, but it doesn't always work.

Like many knowledgeable, experienced, and or intelligent, martial artists will say, there are right times to kick, and there are wrong times to kick.

Sometimes, your stupid ass just miscalculates or was just straight up being a stupid ass not thinking, and you pay for it.

It even happens to Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson.

1:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc3oCDRMyKI
>>
>>2083691
you're a weird guy
>>
File: Aikido vs Front Kick.gif (3MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Aikido vs Front Kick.gif
3MB, 360x202px
Anti-Grappling.

Anti-Grappling, Anti-Grappling, Anti-Grappling.

Did I mention Anti-Grappling, yet?

Anti-Grappling.

There's nothing like a Front Kick.

Kickboxers know it, Muay Thai practitioners know it, Taekwondo practitioners know it, Karateka know it, even some unfortunate Boxers/BJJers/Judoka/Wrestlers know it.
>>
>>2083748
Weird is a relative term. If it's not a relative term, but even if it was, it could be said that I'm normal and everybody else is weird.

But, there are very few of my kind, and I am one of a kind amongst my own; it's lonely at the top.
>>
>>2083755
well the reason it's weird is because nobody is even looking at your pictures and videos but you keep posting them
>>
>>2083751
Please fight me I live in Cincinnati Ohio and you are a joke. I have no striking technique whatsoever and I will dump you on your head.
>>
>>2083759
Did something rustle your jimmies, Anon?
It's okay to be upset, but it's stupid primitive bullshit, and you deserve more than to be some impulsive animal.
>>
>>2083761
>I was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>2083762
>2016
>memes
>>
File: Wall Run.gif (862KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Wall Run.gif
862KB, 260x146px
Reminder: Parkour is a martial art.

All you stupid ass meathead martial artist bitches can suck if dry as mother fucking bones.
>>
File: Ladders R 2 Mainstream.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Ladders R 2 Mainstream.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>2083765

Parkour is without a doubt the ultimate martial art.

None of you clumsy fuck heads can begin to comprehend how Parkour practitioners literally run circles around your basic and short-ranged attacks all fucking day.

Kicks, punches, non of that shit gets close to touching, yet alone getting through, a traceur's (Parkour practitioner's) defense.
Knees, elbows, especially grappling, can even begin to comprehend how to get close to a traceur.
>>
File: Tic Tac.gif (838KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Tic Tac.gif
838KB, 260x146px
>>2083767
>>
File: 1468129721463.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468129721463.gif
3MB, 480x360px
Ayyyy, will you look at that.
>>
File: Tactical Roll.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Tactical Roll.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>2083293
>>2083724
>>2083751
>>2083765
>>2083767
>>2083768

As far as I'm concerned, martial artists and parkour practitioners alike will get their asses handed to them by rifles.

The ground will be stained red with the blood of those who once manifested trips, sweeps, throws, takedowns, pins, submissions, kicks, punches, knees, elbows, the ground will be stained red with those who once manifested wall ups, vaults, climbs, tic tacs, and jumps.
The smell of gunpowder will fill the air, and there will be only but a handful of gunmen over the bodies of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of martial artists and parkour practitioners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1HLHkzkx_c&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>2083781
parkour being a martial art is a joke that usually goes over everybodies head

it's considered a french martial art because it teaches you how to run away
>>
File: splinter-cell3_1590467c.jpg (19KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
splinter-cell3_1590467c.jpg
19KB, 460x288px
>>2083293
>>2083691
>>2083724
>>2083751
>>2083765
>>2083767
>>2083768
>>2083781

All of you high profile ass mother fucking ass asses don't got shit on mother fucking stealth, mother fuckers.

Stealth practitioners will stealth around all of your loud ass bullshit, and stealth your asses up the ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL5HoQ74xMY
>>
>>2083724
Machida got btfo by every top 5 fighter he fought in the past decade
>>
>>2083821
he's in the wrong weight class, I don't know why he moved
>>
>>2083785
Its a double joke. You get to make a run-fu and a french joke.
>>
File: Classic asp.jpg (386KB, 1364x768px) Image search: [Google]
Classic asp.jpg
386KB, 1364x768px
>>2083769
Don't forget his boyfriend
>>
>>2083835
Because you:
Don't train with elite fighter
Don't know what weightcut do to your body
Are too young and inexperienced.

There is a reason UFC doesn't want to have fighters do same day weight-in.
>>
>>2084266
that's fine and everything, except he moved down a weight class so he has to cut even more now
he was a champion at 205, he moved down to 185 where he sucks
>>
>>2077146
Do no gi bjj since they usually crossover more with wrestling. Or do wrestling
>>
Why do people sometimes say people that practice in gi could get beat up by anyone (Untrained) if they aren't both wearing gis? And then they say something stupid like the dude is going to be looking for grips that aren't there like the dude is retarded all of the sudden. Have the never seen Jean Jacques no grips just hooks and he trains gi. Retard rant over
>>
So I went to the doctor and my shoulders fucked and I need rehab and rest for a month with no kickboxing or jitsu training. I might as well kill myself desu.

Any advice? Ever been through injuries? What's a safe exercise routine to do?
>>
Shouldn't every /mag/ thread begin by just stating the obvious ie. most effective martial art(s) for real life defense (taking into account that opponent might have martial art training too) is muay thai + bjj?
>>
>>2085173
Think of it as an opportunity to really work them legs. Squats and stretching. You always neglect the legs.
>>
>>2085206
If you aren't an idiot you should already know that
>inb4 muh karate
>>
>>2085173
Rest bro, I know it's hard, but it is only one month.
Strech leg, squat, run if you can.
Do rehab exercises like
Resistance and work
TRX Y - L -T.
Try link related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V2Exzb324
Try .gif related.
>>
>>2085206
wrong.
>>
>>2085208
>>2085303
Thx m8s. It's really disheartening since I wanted to start this year training even harder and adding weightlifting to my regime. But I guess I better heal now to be stronger and be at 100%.

Guess I'll do lots of running and yoga so I don't lose cardiovascular endurance or go completely insane.
>>
>>2085081
>Why do people sometimes say people that practice in gi could get beat up by anyone (Untrained) if they aren't both wearing gis? And then they say something stupid like the dude is going to be looking for grips that aren't there like the dude is retarded all of the sudden.
Because people, but not all people, who practice in gi, do in fact get beat up by people with little or no BJJ training, not to say that those people doing the beating up don't have training at all, if they aren't both wearing gis.
People do in fact, due to various reasons, including the stress of combat impairing cognition, start using muscle memory and what not more, and therefore start looking for grips that aren't there, because they're fucking humans, and it's a scientifically proven fact that stress and emotions do, and very often, impair intellectual function; so, when people get emotional and stressed, they literally become more stupid.
>>
>>2085422
>it's a scientifically proven fact that stress and emotions do, and very often, impair intellectual function
maybe if you're a betamale. That's just natures way of keeping them inline for us alphas
>>
Is there any martial arts I can try to learn and practice by myself with material from the internet?
[spoiler]I'm a third worlder from a small town[/spoiler]
>>
>>2085900
>the board doesn't allow spoilers
Great. At least I've got some dubs.
Help me plox
>>
>>2085926
Gonna want to find a teacher/school if you can , unless you're an autistic savant. Assuming you actually look and theres no place, then grappling, but you'll need a friend.
>>
>>2086016
Thanks for the (You).
There's just two gyms in town, nothing else. I've asked around a bit but I'm still to find someone that practices something.
I can ask a few friends if they'd be interested in grappling, but it would be better if it was something I can do by myself.
And I believe I'm on the spectrum, if that matters.
>>
>>2083724
That "crane" kick was so fucking retarded
>>
>>2086102
Not gonna happen man. You gotta find a school if there's two options in town go to the best one.
>>
>>2086016
>Learning on his own
>grappling

C'mon, I know this place loves to jerk over bjj and shit just because, but you can't be this retarded.
>>
File: robX2XX.jpg (84KB, 798x784px) Image search: [Google]
robX2XX.jpg
84KB, 798x784px
Anyone in Toronto? Looking to start training again in MMA, besides looking at the records of the guys who train out of the gyms, how else can I tell its a good gym?
>>
What's the best routine for strength and conditioning for those that want to compete in MT/MMA/BJJ ammys? How many days should I dedicate to a lifting program?
>>
>>2085206
This triggers the judo fag
>>
>>2085206
>Muh bjj and muay thai jerk circle!
>muh muay thai mcdojo is better than your legit judo, boxing and karate places.

Is this bait?
>>
>>2087208
m8, of course he should get a teacher, but I'm working under the assumption that he never leave his third world shithole and no martial arts places open up but he still decides to, in which case ground grappling would be the safest (assuming they read up on safety and are careful) , and you can measure its effectiveness since your partner can tap. He obviously has access to the inernet, which makes it much more possible than if he only had books, or even worse pure trial and error.
>>2087288
>tfw judofag
Mostly triggered by judo's state desu. BJJ would be better for self defense if they have good enough stand up with throws you can do on concrete at the particuoar school. On the other hand you could say the same for a judo school with at least decent groundwork since random scrubs in street fights probably won't pull some fancy guard out their ass.
>>
>>2085926
Maybe Wrestling or Boxing with a friend?
>>
>>2087235
>What's the best routine for strength and conditioning for those that want to compete in MT/MMA/BJJ ammys
Standard full bodyweight routine after training.

>How many days should I dedicate to a lifting program?
Zero. Don't waste time not practicing your martial art, if you want to compete. The exceptions are the heavy hitters, who win with strength instead of skill.
>>
>>2087185
No m8. Just two regular gyms. No MA classes on them. It's a fucking small town on a third world shithole.
Although I'd rather have something I can do by myself, I'll ask some friends about grappling trying not to sound gay and practice that with strength training, until I can move to something resembling a city. Hopefully next year.
Which brings the next question. Do you guys have any recommended resources or general tips for grappling?
Thanks for the replies so far.
>>
>>2087509
the vast majority of bjj places don't even teach takedowns anymore, they just start on the ground. shit self defense really
>>
>>2083816
>Stealth practitioner
So by that, you mean guys like pic related """hiding""" behind bushes and around corners and occasionally jumping out at people with no fighting experience?
>>
File: 1477450252133.jpg (42KB, 525x916px) Image search: [Google]
1477450252133.jpg
42KB, 525x916px
>>2088034
Hehehehehe, forgot the picture
>>
>>2087217
>how can I tell It's a good gym?

- be unbiased and objective
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logicall
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people get better, people have fun, because of the fact, not despite it.
>>
>>2085543
You're actually wrong. Anger is an emotion also. It help you win the fight. But the true win is actually not engaging the fight.
>>
>>2085900
>>2085926
>>2086102

>Is there any martial arts I can try to learn and practice by myself with material from the internet.
No, there is none.
Look for the cheapest martial arts in your area.

>>2087509
>Mostly triggered by judo's state desu. BJJ would be better for self defense if they have good enough stand up
Truth right there mein negger!
>>
>>2087683
If someone goes to a place that shitty it's just as much their fault as it is the professors
>>
>>2088272
You're wrong. Anger makes You reckless and stupid. It makes you predictable, it makes you vulnerable and fall into traps.
>>
>>2088282

It is in fact possible to learn a martial art and effectively apply it without a teacher and or sparring.

A common myth is that one is unable to perceive the flaws on one's movements when mimicking the movements of a martial art, and that a teacher is required to detect these flaws in form and aid in correcting them.
Detecting the flaws in one's form can easily be done with the utilization of attention to detail and a mirror.
It would take some very severe cognitive impairments and or lack of effort to be unable to do this, given that adiquate information is provided.

Another common myth is that muscle memory is required to apply martial arts, and that one would be unable to participate in combat without getting a gluteus maximus kicking.
One reason people believe this myth is because of how much more quickly humans tend to react to a stimuli with muscle memory rather than conscious reaction time. They fail to understand that this in no way means that conscious reaction cannot be utilized. With higher aptitude for reaction time and or training, one who may have never engaged in hand to hand combat will be able to perform as well if not better than one who has trained muscle memory for hand to hand combat, not to mention how muscle memory can be used in combat if trained with proper knowledge and understanding beforehand.

Experience is only as creditable as how it's interpreted.

Not saying that learning with a teacher isn't almost always more efficient.

>tl;dr
You idiot, it is not required to spar to improve in all areas involving fighting, but most people aren't intelligent enough to adequately compensate for their lack of intelligence and or knowledge to improve well enough without a teacher and or sparing.
A large majority of people aren't intelligent and knowledgeable enough to learn martial arts and effectively apply them without a teacher and sparring.
There's a difference between improbable, and impossible, you ignorant, delusional, anon.
>>
File: 1437342271833.gif (2MB, 350x258px) Image search: [Google]
1437342271833.gif
2MB, 350x258px
>>2088822
>88822
Your flush is good, but you still spout bullshit without any proof to back it.
>A common myth is that one is unable to perceive the flaws on one's movements when mimicking the movements
Exactly as you wrote.
>and that a teacher is required to detect these flaws in form and aid in correcting them.
If you know it why do you spit bullshit?
>Detecting the flaws in one's form can easily be done with the utilization of attention to detail and a mirror.
>Froms
any usefull without one to explain the move.
> muscle memory
It doesn't exist. it is your CNS that govern. Muscle memory doesn't exist. it is the brain reacting to a stimuli.
>Experience is only as creditable as how it's interpreted.
This is why we see routinely 5 years old beat 20 y.o. martial artist training for years...
>You idiot, it is not required to spar to improve in all areas involving fighting.
There you fall again.
You don't even know how to fight.
>fite me irl.
You're a living joke.
Thanks for bumping the thread.
.gif related, you.
>>
>>2088851
>there's not valid arguments to write against he claim
>writes not attempts at writing invalid arguments against the claim
>just says it's wrong
>post of insults
It's like this is some b8 or something.
>>
>>2088851
It's funny because it's posted like b8 to get reactions like this, but it'd be sad if it wasn't just an inside joke to react like this and people are actually this butthurt about the truth and this much in denial.
>>
How much you paying for your gym guys? There's a BJJ/Muay Thai place near my home that's charging $159 a month for both
>>
>>2090001
I am skeptical of any place that advertises muay thai. I'm convinced close to 100% of places are teaching regular old kickboxing with a fancy name so they can mark up the price
>>
Does anyone know of a good training program for a boxer? An excercise routine. I've seen they often involve lifting, HIIT, jump rope... Where is a good program?

I don't do boxing, but I am interested in following their routine.
>>
>>2090001

The past year

$150 a month for kickboxing
$50 a month for judo
$130 a month for MMA
>>
>>2090090
>but I am interested in following their routine.
A lot of the cardio routines are just practicing Boxing.
>>
>>2090042

It probably isn't legit MT, more kickboxing. The guy teaching is Tech Matsuda.
>>
>>2090150

Shieeet youre dropping 330 a month? fuck that's a lot of dough
>>
>>2090374
No I gym bounced a little.
>>
>>2090042
There's only one place in my town, so I don't know how representative it is of the rest of Canada, but every place I've visited that was labelled as such teaches real MT. There are two kickboxing gyms in my town too but they call themselves kickboxing.
>>
>>2090855
my main reason for not believing the claims is people who live in thailand really enjoy it there, it's even popular for the people in the west who want a simpler life to move there. And if you do muay thai you live well, so why would you leave to teach somewhere else?

like forrest griffin for example claims to do muay thai, but I've never seen a lick of actual technique out of that guy
>>
>>2090877
You make more money teaching in the states and a lot of people come back after they're done fighting
>>
>>2090877
Maybe they don't like living in a poor shithole and move out
>>
>>2090949
thailand is pretty good though, lots of buddhists, nice food, elephants, and all the ladyboys you could ever want
>>
>>2088284
I don't think that there is a BJJ place out there that will teach takedowns with the same kind of intensity that a wrestling/judo team will. Yeah I guess you'll get something but it's not the same.
>>
File: this-is-krav-maga.jpg (47KB, 700x516px) Image search: [Google]
this-is-krav-maga.jpg
47KB, 700x516px
>>2074723
>>2074943
>>2075134
>>2075999 (nice trips)
>>2077060

>Talking about self defence
why not krav maga?
>>
>>2090967
What's more effective against a wrestler, bjj or judo
>>2091466
No
>>
>>2090162

But what about the Weight Lifting, the HIIT, or Jump Rope? A routine is clearly needed to be organized.
>>
New thread goes here:

>>2091762
>>
>>2089512
>about the truth
The state of /asp/
>>2089444
who's baiting who?
That board went down the shitter faster than expected.
>>
>>2091466
If you're serious it about it, it can be perfectly applicable too
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.