[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The 'What' chants is a cancer that needs to stop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_1037.jpg (83KB, 743x711px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1037.jpg
83KB, 743x711px
>Back in August of 2001, then-WWE World Champion Stone Cold Steve Austin debuted his now infamous "What" chant in a promo on SmackDown. It quickly became the most beloved chant in WWE, and was genuinely hilarious at the time.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c6e5zCFLS2U

>15 years later, "What" chants are the worst part of WWE programming, and they're hurting WWE's unestablished stars.
>The latest victim of the "What" chant is Carmella, who did an admirable job Tuesday night of roasting Nikki Bella while the crowd in Stone Cold's home state screamed "What!" at every single pause.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynV-uVF_QlI

>It's the latest in a long, long line of promos forever tarnished by an annoying crowd. Austin addressed the legacy of the "What" chant on his podcast in 2015, and said that he doesn’t regret starting it at all.

>“When I first did that ‘What,’ I had no idea that it would last as long as it did. It’s been over 10 years since I graced a 20x20 squared circle for the WWE, so the fact that it’s still around is a testament to the staying power of it.
>The thing about it is… when a person’s cutting a promo and the crowd starts going ‘WHAT, WHAT, WHAT’ every time they take a break, the way to avoid that is don’t give them that break. You’ve just got to speed your cadence up.

>Do I regret it? Hell no I don’t regret it. People had so much fun doing that back in the day, and you know what? We put the word “what” and a question mark on the front of a t-shirt, and it sold a buttload of t-shirts. It was highly effective for me, I don’t regret it. If anything, the talent can still use that to work for them.”

Sauce: Fox Sports

Is that real, lads? What's your opinion about the 'What' chant? Is it one of the worse chants in WWE today?
>>
Well, while "What" chants do fucking suck -- and I have no idea why they've stuck around -- it's still far from the worst thing about WWE.
>>
Steve Austin is a piece of shit and irrelevant. He has no legacy like Hulk Hogan and Rock

>Hell no I don't regret it
>>
>>2031811
>>2031819
>>2031849

WHAT!?
>>
>>2031811
Which is the janetty... "Yes" or "what?"
>>
File: What?.jpg (13KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
What?.jpg
13KB, 320x240px
>>2031859
Apparently "What?" chants are a draw.
>InB4 this is a new meme.
>>
>>2031859
Yes chants never drew a dime it was just Daniel Bryan using the chant that got it over.
>>
Boring chant is far worse. But American crowds are the worse.

Now all of them are merging. You still got it, this is awesome, what, boringggggg, yess yess no.
>>
>>2031811
I stopped watching before ''What?" happened, and coming back in 2011 I was disgusted by the chant because it is the stupidest thing in the entire world. When I found out it was Stone Cold I was pretty surprised, but nobody else could have gotten that chant over and he had totally checked out mentally by that time, so it makes sense. It's terrible but by now I'm just used to it. Sad!

Kurt Angle had a great promo where he used the ''what'' chants perfectly while talking about Beyonce and calling everybody rednecks.
>>
File: IMG_0505.jpg (51KB, 634x343px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0505.jpg
51KB, 634x343px
>>2031879
>Britcuck seething because he has to stay up til 4AM to watch a kids show on TV
>>
>>2031880
Sorry meant Shakira. I'm not hip like Kurt Angle.
>>
>>2031891
Not even british. Use common sense, your crowds are the worse on earth. They used to be the best or entertaining.

Wwe is ome post modern corpse dragging on with shitty indy guys and crappy fans,
>>
>>2031915
American crowds were never the best on Earth lol
>>
>>2031915
i dunno, that toronto crowd that kept shouting "TEN!" during survivor series was pretty fuckin horrible
>>
>>2031950
>worthless tripfag
>having an opinion that matters
wew lad
>>
>>2031933
They're garbage now. Better in the 80's or late 90's regardless of some crappy meme chant.
>>
>>2031811
>some dumb chant is the worst thing about WWE

Nah I think RAM is.
>>
>>2031972
I mean they were better then compared to American crowds now, but Brits and Euros have had passionate and wild fans for decades and decades. And considering they were so starved for the product in the 80s and 90s I would bet they would be just as aggressive and fun as any American audience, and much more creative and vocal.

SummerSlam 92 is the biggest legit crowd in WWE history before WM32 or whatever.
>>
>>2032025
Late 90's and some Nwa feds had better crowds than most WWF shows or 80's european crowds, which was in small bulidings.

WWF had terrible crowds in the mid 90's but now it's even worse. A cross between ufc and indy and burnt out music crowds is what it looks like now.
>>
How do you kill a what chant?
>>
>>2032048
Most crowds for anything anywhere in America suck except for music festivals because people are young, have no cell reception, and are off their minds on drugs and psychedelics.
>>
File: 1480372665247.jpg (244KB, 700x697px) Image search: [Google]
1480372665247.jpg
244KB, 700x697px
>last episode of SD live
>Mix hands Dean a participation award
>'You deserve it' chants from the crowd

I keked
>>
>>2031811
>While on the road, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin decided to call Christian (Jason Reso). He left a message on Reso's voice mail, that was completely unclear. When Reso and Austin were talking to each other on the phone, Austin kept saying "What?" With this, Austin decided to use it as his catchphrase, and it as well has became a popular catchphrase to fans.

It was all Christian's fault, who would have guessed?
>>
>>2032066
Yeah that was funny, nobody likes Ambrose.
>>
>>2032048
Which is why Japan has the most based crowds. Never any retarded smark or indy chants. Just good o' fashion cheering, booing, clapping, and name chanting.
>>
I don't give a shit what this wife beating son of of a bitch has to say about anything.
>>
>>2032066
Why is he pointing at his own dick?
>>
>>2032077
Yeah, for Njpw or Ajpw. Clapping for basic suplexes in common in Ajpw.

But most Noah crowds today are some of the worse out there. You could do 4 big moves, no reaction. But they want the super-workrate back.

But most Puroresu crowds in history are good. The mid 80s for Ajpw or late 90's Njpw or Mid 00's Noah are very loud or not annoying.
>>
>>2032078
lol faggot
>>
>>2032072
Carter loves him>>2032077
>>
WHAT?
>>
>>2031879
>Boring chant is far worse

No this is awesome is by far the worst.
>>
WHAT?
>>
Has anyone used "a sphincter says what?" Yet?
>>
>>2032176
no, Holy Shit is

it's basically the crowd's way of telling the USA network that nothing exciting can happen in the first two hours of the show
>>
>>2031811
What?
>>
File: who.gif (1MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
who.gif
1MB, 240x180px
>>2031811
>>
File: 15380457.jpg (10KB, 194x175px) Image search: [Google]
15380457.jpg
10KB, 194x175px
>>2031811
The "what" chants are indeed fucking stupid, but I'd like to see all the "DUHHH-DUH DUHHH-DUH *clap clap clapclapclap*" bullshit go first.
>>
>>2032196
>Wayne's World is nearly a quarter-century old
>>
Do people even still do it? If they do, I think it's become so prevalent that I tuned it out.
>>
>>2032069
Captain Charisma working Fox Sports and anti-smarks.
>>
>>2032196
People would still chant anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qlfp8BOPDg
>>
File: IMG_1030.jpg (92KB, 392x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1030.jpg
92KB, 392x360px
>>2032385
top fucking kek
>>
>>2031811
>The thing about it is… when a person’s cutting a promo and the crowd starts going ‘WHAT, WHAT, WHAT’ every time they take a break, the way to avoid that is don’t give them that break. You’ve just got to speed your cadence up.

It's too bad that wrestlers are taught to cut promos talking in soundbites because it's easier to cut the audio for the video packages, same with the announcers and commentary.
>>
>>2032391
>that weak pre-schooler banter

Undercarder at his finest.
>>
File: PVY94Q3.gif (290KB, 448x521px) Image search: [Google]
PVY94Q3.gif
290KB, 448x521px
>>2031811
It wouldn't be so bad if WWE had any decent talkers who didn't have to rely on scripts and rehearsals. Otherwise they could shut it down and get a reaction instead of ignoring it and hoping the crowd stops
>>
What? Is absolutely necessary. It is the quickest way to voice displeasure at an angle or spot or what have you. The best example of this was that stupid ass cuck angle that destroyed Ziggler and took forever to rebuild himself. That one horrid promo where Lana professes her love for Zigg saw right through the fucking charade and groaned and grimaced accordingly. Lana getting those what chants really shool her and she faltered in her delivery; months prior she was arguably the most popular superstar on the roster because she had people chanting for her despite nor being there.

Everyone can agree that the feud was DOA from then on. In a world where hurling garbage into the ring out of displeasure is not only frowned upon, but illegal, WHAT? serves as the perfect alternative to say that something is not getting the job done.

It's how you separate the men from the boys. You think The Rock ever stuttered when he got What'd to hell and back? No. He ran with it.
>>
>>2031811
The overuse of "This is awesome" or "You deserve it." is catching up and those only started a couple of years ago.
>>
>>2032312
That'll never go away. It's too easy to use.
>>
File: 01349756.jpg (48KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
01349756.jpg
48KB, 500x486px
>>2032464
YOU DES ERVE IT
THIS IS AWE SOME
THIS IS WREST LING
WE ARE AWE SOME
>>
>>2032470
STU-PID ID-IOT!
>>
>>2032476
YOU LOOK STU PID
>>
File: IMG_0412.jpg (26KB, 413x339px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0412.jpg
26KB, 413x339px
>>2032404
this

if more people understood this, the business would be great
>>
File: IMG_0476.gif (2MB, 250x132px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0476.gif
2MB, 250x132px
>>2032440
18+ nigger
>>
It's only the worst thing because the guys have no choice but to plow through the script or Vince and Dunn will get pissy about them going off script. So they just try to muddle on and the crowd just does it louder.

If guys' promos weren't so obviously fake that they made the crowd start hijacking them or if the wrestler could respond to the chant, it wouldn't even be a deal at all. The times when guys actually respond to the chants are usually pretty good.
>>
I liked when Stone Cold was first saying what? when he was bullying and burying shit little midgets like Taz
>>
people forget just how over the WHAT chants were when Austin did them in 01-02

way more over than the YES shit, I bet Austin made a lot of money from them what shirts as well
>>
the other chant that needs to die is "You deserve it", it feels so forced
>>
>2001

Confirmed the what chants killed the ratings and the company
>>
>>2032783
No, but Austin and Vince are the cause for that. Austin came up with the heel turn because Vince didn't have anything big planned

>"Worst call I've ever made other than refusing to job to Brock Lesnar at Atlanta. But, you know, that was my idea. Vince always likes to do something big at Wrestlemania. He didn't have anything big planned. So, me being The Rocket scientist that I am, I figured okay. You're a hot babyface, and if you turn heel, you're a hot ass heel to draw money like that.

The result was a drop of 300k buys from the previous year at the next PPV. I add Vince to that because the second Austin was face again (the week of inVasion 2001), the PPV did 770k buys which is the all time record for a non WM PPV. And he turns heel again at the fucking PPV, a completely dumb decision made even worse when you saw that business was going down when Austin turned heel the first time. Why Vince turned him again, I'll never know
>>
File: wot m8.jpg (78KB, 452x640px)
wot m8.jpg
78KB, 452x640px
>>2032780

he STILL makes money off What shirts
>>
>>2032409
Christian did it on purpose because Vince always called him a creepy little bastard
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3kqfuGHbeI
>>
>>2031811
The "WHAT?" chant is at least endearing at times.

However, you know what the REAL fucking cancer is? "YOU STILL GOT IT"
>>
>>2032788
I honestly think it was Vince not wanting to admit he made a mistake turning Austin

Vince is a stubborn old man
>>
>>2032513
Why the hell are they chanting it to Sheamus instead of fucking Enzo?
>>
File: 1223456897543.jpg (14KB, 228x228px) Image search: [Google]
1223456897543.jpg
14KB, 228x228px
>>2031811
>>The latest victim of the "What" chant is Carmella, who did an admirable job Tuesday night of roasting Nikki Bella
At least she got a reaction for once
>>
File: 15267736.jpg (18KB, 368x657px) Image search: [Google]
15267736.jpg
18KB, 368x657px
>>2033855
I never got how Sheamus looked stupid anyways. It's ((CURRENT YEAR)) and people are still surprised by a mohawk? He looks better than when he had that 10-year-old-on-a-skateboard-listening-to-linkin-park spiky hair
>>
>>2033914
I always thought he looked great, because it fit the celtic warrior gimmick a lot more than his previous look. Braids on his beard were also great.
>>
>Flair creates the Woo chant
>Universally loved and used as a way of expressing pleasure

>D-Bry creates the YES chant
>Universally loved and used as a way of expressing pleasure

>Shit Cold Autism creates the What chant
>Used by fat smarks to ruin shows for years

Why is Austin such an overrated cunt?
>>
>>2033941
Based Big Beers Steve working the obese anti smarks
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.