[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is BJJ a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: sambo-big.jpg (126KB, 480x330px) Image search: [Google]
sambo-big.jpg
126KB, 480x330px
I have a good Sambo studio and good BJJ studio in proximity to my house. Which should I go with? I am looking to learn some discipline and all around self-defense. I am 6'2 and 200 pounds.

Any recs, suggestions or experience?
>>
bump for non WWE related
>>
>>1972469
>I am looking to learn some discipline

You're probably looking in the wrong place. If you want to learn discipline it's probably best learned in a scholastic sport program (I'm biased but I would recommend wrestling) or the military (I met plenty of undisciplined shit bags so it's not a guarantee).

>and all around self-defense

Both are probably going to be good for this tbqh famalam. A BJJ white belt with a few months of consistent training at a quality gym is going to have a significant leg up on anyone who isn't trained. But like any combat sport program, the "style" of BJJ is going to be dependent on the gym. Some will emphasize wrestling more than others, and some will pretty much be entirely ne waza.

If it's a good Sambo program though I'd probably check them out first.

tl;dr just go check each of them out and see which one you like more.
>>
>>1972679
Thanks bro. Which one has more grappling from your understanding? Of course I need striking and grappling both, but I always had a thing for bringing it down to the ground during fights. I always go for the ground and pound strategy
>>
>>1972704
They are both grappling, BJJ generally focuses more on groundwork and sambo has better takedowns. Learn both if you can, otherwise go to the one that has a better-quality program--do sambo if they're even in quality and you can only do one.
>>
>>1972469
you should go and try both to see wich you like more, normally gyms offer a trial class, personally i would go to the sambo gym, is usually more well rounded, with all the kickboxing , wrestling/judo and grappling, of course bjj will be better for grappling but is most likely that you will only learn that along whit some basic throws and takedowns, if its possible for you try to go to both, sambo has no defense on the bottom position while bjj does, sambo doesn't have chokes, bjj does, sambo grappling is really straight forward and easy to learn, bjj offer way more options in transitions and finishers, but can be a bit more complicated, that's all i can say, but both are good
>>
Big Judo John
>>
>>1972469
BJJ isn't a meme or else it wouldn't be as widespread and effective in MMA and use in militaries and whatnot, but the sport aspect is very much gaining ground over the functional aspect and there's a lot of studios that emphasize stuff that works primarily in competitions and not so great for when someone can punch you in the face.

If the Sambo studio is actually good and legit and they do Combat Sambo then that's basically a solid whole package. Cross-training is ideal but if you can only take one and the Sambo guys work with strikes n whatnot then I'd take that. Otherwise it's up to you to check both places out and judge the quality and options of them both.
>>
>>1972469
Go to both. Go to the one you like better.

BJJ is great. Sambo is great. Some schools are better than others. Some schools are pure shit.
>>
>>1972469
>BJJ
>on the WWE board
Kek. GTFO.
>>
i like bjj a lot, the only problem i have with it its the gracie mentality because i dont like being arrogant and disrespectful.
>>
>>1974090
>only problem i have with it its the gracie mentality because i dont like being arrogant and disrespectful
What is the Gracie mentality and how does it breedo arrogance and disrespect in its students?
>>
>>1972704
>I always go for the ground and pound strategy

This is in direct contrast to your original statement that you want self defense. Learn to grapple so you can disengage, and then run like the wind if self defense is what you really want
>>
>>1973820
>there's a lot of studios that emphasize stuff that works primarily in competitions and not so great for when someone can punch you in the face.

I think it's important to point out that this isn't necessarily something that doesn't work replacing something that does, but that a lot of the weird shit that is coming in is based on really advanced BJJ guys trying to develop new strategies to beat other really advanced BJJ guys.

You can still win with basic BJJ.

But the reason you wouldn't want to "do it on the street" is you wouldn't need to because it's very unlikely (unless you're in a rich neighborhood in Brazil) that you're going to encounter some cunt on the street looking for a fight who has BJJ training.
>>
>>1974546
>What is the Gracie mentality and how does it breedo arrogance and disrespect in its students?

He is probably talking about the high level of competitiveness among the Gracie siblings (and in BJJ in Brazil in general).

But that's not inherently wrong and any grappling system that includes regular competition will foster this "attitude" that he or she doesn't seem to like.

It's the difference between a wrestler and a Krotty player. The wrestler spent high school and/or college having to do wrestle offs any time they wanted to keep their place in their weight class the week previous to a dual meet or a tournament. Or there would be a wrestle off if one wrestler talked shit to another, or thought they could beat another wrestler in the room. The Krotty player/TMAer likely didn't/doesn't have to deal with that in their training, so the attitude of "put up or shut up" is seen as "disrespectful" and "arrogant".
>>
File: tumblr_ogft5nQPNh1tfrx5ho2_400.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogft5nQPNh1tfrx5ho2_400.gif
1MB, 360x202px
>>1972469
Well, it's a grappling thread, so I'll ask here:

I haven't been training regularly for years. I just got laid off from work: where can I go in the United States to train 40-60 hours per week? Judo preferred, BJJ/sambo/wrestling/MMA acceptable.
>>
sambo is rare
>>
>>1979707
Yer making some awfully one-sided assumptions there. Not to say that I don't agree with the put up or shut up mentality but some TMA guys are fucking scary. Not the ones that half train, but the crazy ones that train everything. I know one guy who does traditional jujutsu, he's in his fifties, had never done Brazilian jujutsu and tapped the highest grade bjj black belt in their school no problem. When I spar with him he's out for blood. I'm not knocking your competitive spirit, most TMA is mcdojo. But there are those few crazy guys who train like nazis.
>>
o
>>
If Sambo was easy it would be called BJJ
>>
>>1972469
I'd say Sambo is more well-rounded, but you're more likely to find a good BJJ school than you are a Sambo one outside of Russia. I'd suggest Sambo but only after you check out their credentials.
>>
>>1979707
You approach having a point againsy typical TMA attitudes but you sound like an insecure faggot. You're also wrong, he means the Gracie's retarded stance that BJJ is the best thing ever and the only thing worth training, even if it's for MMA competition, and that they are the best most badass BJJ teachers ever.
>>
>>1984863
Gracie is a fucking washed up has-been that honestly only did as well as he did in the early days of MMA thanks to favoritism. This isn't to knock BJJ, but Gracie himself is a fucking joke.
>>
>Is bjj a meme
Are you retarded? Go watch the gracie in action's and think about what you just asked.
>>
>>1985513
Do you think there is one Gracie?
>>
>>1972469
>Is BJJ a meme?
Their standing game usually is. The overly sporty techniques can be similar - even though some of them I've put to good use in Judo competitions as well.

The core ground work rips up that of any other grappling art. Even the long-neglected leg locks are now becoming for popular and refined. That said, Sambo still has a lot of interesting leg lock entries not commonly found in BJJ.
>>
How well can you work a mic?

If you can do it above average go boxing.
>>
>>1985550
was this ironicposting?
>>
File: tumblr_ma03aqrdQu1rwsd16o1_400.gif (357KB, 400x169px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma03aqrdQu1rwsd16o1_400.gif
357KB, 400x169px
>>1977045
>and then run like the wind
More like run like David Belle.
>>
>>1984769
>I'd suggest Sambo but only after you check out their credentials.
That's stupid. I'd suggest Sambo but only after checking out their ability to teach and train.
>>
>>1987223
Yes, their credentials, that's what people have been saying.
>>
>>1985513
Royce legitimately bested everyone he fought in the no rules days, even if it was because he had a solid grasp of grappling and they didn't, and there's more than one Gracie.
>>
>>1972469
>Is BJJ a meme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCKOtBjLZaA
>>
>>1992739
this is called propaganda
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.