[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do stances like this have a purpose in real fights?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

Do stances like this have a purpose in real fights?
>>
>>1940002
Way back when, people fought like that because reasons.

Now they don't, so they have no purpose, and the people doing them actually know why they're doing it since their teacher's teacher was scammed by a chink getting some cash on the side after closing his laundry store for the night.
>>
To fight like one of them you need to first forget everything about western martial arts. Boxing/wrestling is irreconcilable with kung fu

Basically the way this guy fights is supposed to be exactly like in the movies. strike, defend, counters, moving back and forth with no regards to pivoting... No you're not supposed to stay in your stance like you do in boxing, took me years to figure that out.
>>
>>1940002
Imagine he has weapons in his hands.
>>
>>1940002
Well, you can only kick him and I guess kung fu kicks are weak
That or it's a transitional position in the middle of a takedown
>>
>>1940935
Then he'd still look retarded since he's cut off his range by leaning way the fuck backwards and his right hand weapon would be serving literally no purpose right now because hes holding it behind his chest and head yet not in well chambered position to potentially swing or thrust from.
>>
>>1940987
>no purpose
>behind his head
That's a very sport oriented mindset you have there. It's like you're assuming there's only one opponent, and opponents will always be facing each other.
>>
>>1940999
Oh, I'm sorry, do you have eyes in the back of your head to see what angle an attack is coming in at? No? Then holding a weapon there is retarded.
>>
All martial arts that are not wrestling, BJJ, muay thai, or boxing, are fucking memes
>>
>>1940107
>Now they don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6CpyxYq6Y
>>
>>1941357
Franky didn't have a clue what the fuck he was doing. That was likely only his first or second fight ever. But he'd ran his mouth too much and didn't want to back down to the obvious freakazoid weeaboo for all the shit he'd get from his acquaintances. Karate Kid at least spent a few years in a dojo.

And that stance at the start is just to stretch out a bit and make sure your clothes are going to let you move.
>>
>>1940002
If he is fencing left handed, it would serve a purpose. But I don't see any of the kit to go with that stance.
>>
>>1940002
This just makes me anxious of someone getting their knees stomped on in a real fight.
>>
>>1940002
>Choy lee fut guy here

That kind of poses are not intended to be sustained during a normal fight. They are more a thing to train your body into different kind of dodges and blocks, just like regular katas in karate. You don't see people fighting in a guard like pic related, but is part of a kata that supposedly trains your muscles to memorize different ways to react in a fight. In OP pic, he could be retreating and ducking from a high kick, or trying to block someone coming from behind (you don't need eyes on the back of your head, just pay attention to your surroundings, specially if there's a lot of people there), and stuff like that.

Also, as for this video >>1941357 is pretty evident the weaboo was doing it more for the showoff than for any practical use. Once both were ready to exchange blows, the kung fu stance went out of the window and what's your regular brawl with the weaboo guy scoring a solid hit rather than applying some secret ancient technique from the invincible pose.
>>
>>1941698
That pose is either against a weapon https://youtu.be/vlHENFzq3dc?t=5m20s or just a raise of the knee to then kick, you're not supposed to stay like that for more than a second
>>
>>1940002
loose forward foot in ancient chinese styles was used to kick an opponent in the balls
>>
>>1940002
It never did, it was always a theoretical practice for training things like balance control, leg strength etc.

combative stances are almost universally shoulder width for flat ground or longer and deeper for uneven ground but never like that
>>
>>1941953
Sounds like the sensible thing to do. Just kick him in the balls as soon as you have the chance to. No need for muh honoraburu fightan
>>
>>1941573
A decent chunk of the archaic mess of "TMAs" is that a lot of it is to train OK fencers and OK fighters, rather than ideal fencers and ideal fighters.

I was so mad when I realized all the footwork in my krotty kata was built around a spear.
>>
>>1941573
>If he is fencing left handed, it would serve a purpose.
It would be fine if he had a saber in the right hand as well, he could pass and strike with it in various ways. Overhead/above the head withdrawn stances are frequently seen in historical Western fencing as well especially with simple hilts (which would include the very basic disc guard on your typical dao). This is due to the sword hand becoming a prime point of attack if it's kept extended.
>>
>>1942484
No they were for making ideal fighters within the context they were designed in. If your never going to use a spear then an art with alot of spear work or spear principles built in is probably going to be less than ideal. But if you live in a society were people used spears and sticks to fight all the time it makes perfect sense because that is what your likely to deal with
>>
>>1942484
Well if they adapted it to empty hand fighting it means they thought that the base principles still applied
>>
>>1942223
>muh honoraburu fightan

To be fair, the Chinese didn't put that much value into the whole honourable fair fight. You have tons of movements intended to hit the eyes, throat, balls and other sensible areas. And grabbing anything from the floor or close to you to beat the living crap out of your opponent is also a valid strategy, think a Jackie Chan film. Is common knowledge most of the traditional arms in martial arts were originally farm tools with some modifications to made them look neat.
>>
>>1942558
If you were training ideal fighters, you would have fully dedicated spear fighting, and fully dedicated unarmed fighting. Instead, you have a training method designed to compress the time spent training each of them.
>>
>>1945266
Not necessarily, training each of those things in two different arts is less than ideal because your training your body to move two different ways.

Many classical weapons arts for example trained multiple weapons around the same basic techniques and principles. There was no mental or physical break between using a sword, or a spear, or a staff.

training spear and unarmed separately means that if your separated from your spear, or suddenly find yourself facing a weapon unarmed, you have to switch gears so to speak. this goes against the principle of "One mind any weapon"
>>
>>1945266
>>1945841
Learn multiple arts, use them together during in sparring. Follow \\\+/// to martial salvation
>>
>>1945841
>Not necessarily, training each of those things in two different arts is less than ideal because your training your body to move two different ways.
It's almost like fighting armed and unarmed have different requirements and needs.
>>
File: djga-ipc3-01.jpg (194KB, 760x500px) Image search: [Google]
djga-ipc3-01.jpg
194KB, 760x500px
Ultimate Super Hybrid Hand to Hand Combat Martial Art when?

Are our greatest minds working on something wonderful, or do I have to do this shit myself?

A lot of these jackasses mix and match arts, and focus on what they're good at to help their self esteem, or just try too hard to beat each other and miss a lot of good stuff, or some other bullshit.

The martial arts community as a whole needs something new, something great, and something to help remedy the stagnation.
>>
>>1946461
>something to help remedy the stagnation.
You're living through the greatest era of martial arts innovation probably in human history.
>>
>>1946463
>You're living through the greatest era of martial arts innovation probably in human history.
That's why it's so sad.
>>
>>1946465
Why?
>>
>>1946468
Because the greatest era of martial arts innovation isn't that great.
>>
>>1946475
Why? Because you're not taking advantage of it?
>>
>>1946477
Because it's shit. It's primitive and unorganized bullshit.
>>
>>1946484
>It's primitive
And I'm sure you've got loads more advanced stuff to share.

>and unorganized
Which is exactly why it's innovating.
>>
>>1946512

>And I'm sure you've got loads more advanced stuff to share.
If I happen to have some free time and care enough about martial arts to use my time thinking about martial arts, I will blow the martial arts community the fuck away.
>Which is exactly why it's innovating.
The same thing that makes it innovating is holding it back.
>>
>>1946512
You could help contribute, too, if you pulled your thumbs out of your ass and stopped accepting the mediocrity.

If you accept the shit as this great magnificent thing, you can't move past that and make it better. You gave up before you even started.
>>
>>1947110
>If I happen to have some free time and care enough about martial arts to use my time thinking about martial arts, I will blow the martial arts community the fuck away.
Oh good, you're just regular delusional. I'm sure you'll get right on that after you work out cold fusion. I'm sure you could do all kinds of amazing stuff if you felt like it.

But if you don't even care about martial arts, why are you complaining? Why should anyone give a shit about the thoughts of someone uninformed about martial arts?

>if you pulled your thumbs out of your ass and stopped accepting the mediocrity.
I did pull my thumbs out of my ass and stopped accepting mediocrity. I go out and do magnificent things, while you hang out on a Laotian comic book web-ring, waiting for someone else to come along and fix your mediocrity.
>>
>>1947173
>Oh good, you're just regular delusional. I'm sure you'll get right on that after you work out cold fusion.
I honestly don't give a damn about what you could possible think about me, but I'll always be here with the truth if you're interested.

>I'm sure you'll get right on that after you work out cold fusion.
I'm not very interested in cold fusion at the moment.

>I'm sure you could do all kinds of amazing stuff if you felt like it.

I'm definitely an outstanding human being, but it's not just me that could do all kinds of "amazing" things if I felt like it. Humans currently have the highest potential for things compared to the rest of the species on this planet. Given the right knowledge and determination (or motivation), many humans can do things that they didn't think they could do, achieve things they wouldn't have imagined they could achieve.

>while you hang out on a Laotian comic book web-ring, waiting for someone else to come along and fix your mediocrity.
Nice implications you got there.
I wasn't waiting, I've been working on a design for forklift operator gloves, thinking about ways to improve efficiency of my forklift operators, writing a comic book, and contemplating philosophy.

I've also been thinking about quitting my day job and focusing more on Judo.
>>
>>1947465
>I'm definitely an outstanding human being

wrong.

>I've also been thinking about quitting my day job and focusing more on Judo.

you need more time to focus on something as simple as judo. ok that sums up your gr8ness.
>>
>>1941294
>hear attacker from behind
>all i have to do is turn head and now i have weapon facing him

Or your method:
>hear attacker
>can't see so doesn;t exist
>turn entire body and hold both weapons in front of me the entire time
>>
>>1950554
>thinking you're going to parry an attack you hear and don't see

Wow, just like in my Japanese animes!
>>
>>1950573
Who said parry?
The point is that it takes no effort to get your weapon where it can be useful.
>>
>>1950612
Ok, so you didnt parry the "attack from behind" and now youre dead. Really useful having your sword back there then :^)
>>
>>1950542
>wrong.
Whatever you say.

>you need more time to focus on something as simple as judo. ok that sums up your gr8ness.
MMA is just getting stale. Restricting myself to only grappling, and getting to get good use out of my Gi again, will be fun.
>>
File: duwat.png (683KB, 884x756px) Image search: [Google]
duwat.png
683KB, 884x756px
>>1947134
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.