[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ - martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 43

File: 6397.jpg (148KB, 426x282px)
6397.jpg
148KB, 426x282px
It died and no one noticed edition

Filter [triggering]: muay thai, boxing, judo, bjj, mma, karate, kyokushin, striking, grappling, full contact, wrestling, tkd, jkd, cma, wing chun, aikido, kickboxing, sanda, sambo.

Should the heel be kept up while standing?

Is lifting crucial to have a good performance?

Can other martial arts substitute BJJ?
>>
Other martial arts threads

>>1896310

>>1923729
>>
Guess I'll post some videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46veLgINFjU
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SIWIHWJLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40CA9CStpqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZFieBL40oA
>>
Is 52 blocks a meme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRu9uC5XC-w
>>
>tfw all I wanna learn is kyokushin but nowhere near you teaches it

I've been going to Muay Thai for a couple months now and I do enjoy it but Kyokushin just appeals to me so much more.
Just gonna stick at muay thai and pray some nip comes and opens a school near me
>>
>>1933291
Seems similar to karate, I've heard people say that bareknuckle gypsy boxers use a lot of karate techniques and principles before but I can't say how true that really is. This seems similar anyway
>>
>>1933327
Kickboxing could also be similar
There could be something they practice in gyms that can't be found online
>>
God fucking dammit I keep getting caught in transition locks and can't complete my locks how do you remedy this
>>
https://youtu.be/YZj8yf4Qo8I?t=1m52s
>>
>>1929693
Bruce Lee said 'The rear heel is the piston of the whole fighting machine'.

It's one of my favourite quotes of his.

I don't think lifting is crucial for everyone but I wouldn't like to try to take on the fights I do without my strength.
>>
>>1935907
When you learn to fight without your strength, your strength becomes not a part of your whole, but an advantage to your foundation.
>>
>>1934055
>>
Do you guys practice for fun or for self-defense?
>>
>>1938515
Is hard to say "for fun" when the place where you train constantly hit you on the face and there have been some reports of broken bones because the newbie didn't learn how to fall or tried to be a badass and resist rather than flow with the technique.

So I would say discipline rather than fun. And as for self-defence is more a bonus than the real objective. Because even if you're a badass who can ko a guy in a single blow, you can't dodge a bullet, neither keep a knife from cutting your skin and veins. And fighting against a gang, despite what Jackie Chan show you, is fighting against the odds to such degree, is pretty much guaranteed you'll get seriously hurt or dead. Mob mentality is a bitch.
>>
>>1939797
Having the possibility to get hit is probably what makes it fun
>>
>>1929693
>Should the heel be kept up while standing?
Yes, at least if you want to be offensive. If you're in a grappling match and you're a counter attacker even standing, you can get your heels on the mat.

>Is lifting crucial to have a good performance?
Yes, as cardio and flexibility. There is a limit to what you can do in ma training with your bw only.
It doesn't matter what you lift, (iron or training partners) but you'll have to lift to get where the magic happens.

>Can other martial arts substitute BJJ?
No, saddly BJJ methodology and curriculum are what makes it superior. As much as sambo as better transitions from standing to the ground and judo is simply superior to bjj standing. None of those arts come close to bjj in the teaching methodology. Lutta livre maybe, CACC, also. But there is no other substitute since lutta livre got almost swallowed by bjj and CACC is not as lively as it deserves.

Vid related Milton viera (luta livre/bjj: which one?)
>>
>>1933707
Whats ya height?
>>
File: straight elbow ko.gif (1MB, 297x263px) Image search: [Google]
straight elbow ko.gif
1MB, 297x263px
>>1933291
Yes, it has become one.
>>1933707
>I keep getting caught in transition locks
Keep your ennemy tight and your elbows tighter. Always face the danger.
Shrimp it to oblivion.
Protect your neck
Follow those 4 rules at all times when you try to escape
When you attack:
Position before submission. There are 4 types of controls:
hips control,
scapular chain control,
one side control
limb control.
the last one is the most versatil and difficult, but basically you control 2 consecutive major joints over the same limb. It is often mixed with locks.
If you attack and sacrifce the control you have over your opponent, this gives him the possibility to escape.
>>1938753
Depends if you're at the giving end or the receiving end...
>>1938515
Both, but I think I will never have to practice for self defense again.
>>
>>1940002
>>1940137
>>
Is the "pain threshold" a relevant factor in a fight?
I once got punched by a random guy, not too hard (I think) between the eye and the ear, and got completely stunned. My old karate sense I told us that having strong muscles in parts like the belly helped to prevent a blow, like a natural armor.
How much of that is true? And can you prevent the pain and stun from a blow to a critical part, like the jaw or the solar plexus?
>>
Also, when I trained karate we did some "hardening" throwing blows to a wooden thingy with every part of our bodies. It was supposed to cause microfractures in the bones that later would heal and harden the bones, with time. I believe that is a common thing in karate, to punch the (I forgot the name) wooden plank not only to practice the blow, but to harden your body...

Is all that stuff medically accurate? Because when your teacher starts mixing that with life energy and chackras and shit, it's hard to believe.
>>
>>1943164
Kyokushin is basically entirely based on taking hits with your muscles, I think you have to flex them first for it to work though.
Of course no muscles, no coating, but there are ways of dissipating hits by putting in tension certain muscle groups
>>
>>1943175
Hitting the makiwara is mainly to train explosive strength and technique but it can serve the second purpose of conditioning the hand
>>
>>1943164
Yes and no.

You can train your body to take hits like a champ, and ignore minor injuries. And the microfractures is also truth.

But you can't train certain areas of your body (hence, certain areas are forbidden, like the back of your head), and there are areas that doesn't have much to train, like the lower back. There aren't many bones to break there (other than your spine) and the presence of muscles is minimal, so even with a load of training, certain punches in that area hurt like a bitch.

IMO, the best defence is always not being hit in first place, but given that's impossible, raising the pain treshold helps, but won't win the fight by itself.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 500x406px
>>1943977
Thanks boss. So the thing is, dodging > blocking > absorbing a blow, am I rite?
Btw friggin Google won't give me the correct translation for "absorbing a blow" in English, fml.
>>
Don't forget parrying.
>>
>>1933291
Amateur boxer here.

I've trained with some of these guys, their punches are quick but lack hip engagement, so their punches lack knock out power.
The reasoning is it started barehanded and the lighter velocity knuckle bone itself will do the damage to soft spots like throat, nose and eyes.

They never really convinced me its an effective sport style or street style. Ive tried to train with grapplers before and got my arse handed to me a dozen times over and I don't see 52/Jailhouse rock doing any better.

meme/10
>>
>>1943164
Pain matters a lot less than knowing what your body can take, and how it can function under stress.

Most people have never taken blows to the head that altered their perception and control of their bodies. They have experience even less moments where they've continued to operate their body.

Moves that focus on inflicting pain are called "pain compliance techniques" and are considered unreliable. Partially because you don't know how a person will react to pain. This has little to do with 'toughness.' Some people will flail, some people will panic, some people will get mad.

Anyway, abs definitely help protect against body blows by putting stuff between the blow and the organs, and by holding everything inside tight.

You can't really prevent pain for most things, or even the physical effects of being stunned, but you can train your reaction to the problem. The first time I got a real good blow to the solar plexus, it was terrifying. I couldn't breath, and that invokes an instinctual terror. Now, I don't even stop sparring. I still can't breath mind you, it hurts just as bad, but I know I'm not going to die, and I know if I just hold on, my opponent won't know how good he got me, usually.
>>
>>1946462
Because TKOs don't exist at all.

The quality of Dr. Goblin posts have really gone down in quality lately.

Your post is less than a shitpost, I don't even know what to call it.

>>1943164
The pain threshold is very relevant. Generally speaking, the more training, the more pain tolerance. The more you get hit, the less your brain processes the signals, the more pain you can handle before you're overloaded with pain signals.

Dr. Dumbass is obviously not a real doctor.
However, that doesn't dismiss how he has a semi-decent point about the psychological factor of fighting.
"Mind over matter," as the old saying goes. Your psychological state and condition effects how you perceive things such as pain.
>>
>>1944631
dodging
A waste of energy depending on the situation. If it's not a super powerful flying kick or something, if you're for example getting a stiff right cross after your opponent worked a basic angle, you can take advantage of that angle and block or parry the stiff cross to deliver your own attack from the angle your opponent cut for you.
If the angle isn't good for you, then you could cut an angle by dodging the punch.
If you absorb the punch, you could take it, but under many circumstances it may be best for the individual fighter to not absorb that stiff cross.

>blocking
A waste of energy depending on the situation. An opponent may be trying to apply psychological pressure on you by throwing a high volume of attacks of weaker attacks. These weaker attacks may be mixed in with attacks that do more damage, but it may be advantageous to absorb for example an uppercut directed at a non-sensitive area from a short range in order to deliver an elbow or something this is not to say that the uppercut would have no effect at all. Opponents may also attempt to close distance drastically to mitigate the effectiveness of for example an out-fighter by closing the distance in an attempt to make the out-fighter create distance, while creating distance, the opponent may take advantage of that reaction to attack.
If one were to block the uppercut, one would have sacrificed one's options by busying one's arm or arms.
>>
File: 6ia1s0_jpg.gif (2MB, 300x200px)
6ia1s0_jpg.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>1946462
>>
File: 1478746998011.gif (1MB, 395x261px) Image search: [Google]
1478746998011.gif
1MB, 395x261px
>>1946462
>>
File: 1478747153975.gif (2MB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
1478747153975.gif
2MB, 500x278px
>>1946462
>>1946462
>>
>>1948032
>Because TKOs don't exist at all.
I don't know how you possibly got that from my post. The entire point I was making was that there's nothing you can do to prevent the physical effects of something, only your reaction to it. A blow that is a TKO is going to be a TKO. But an experienced fighter knows when he CAN keep fighting and how to do it, while someone without the same experience will react poorly to the same stimulus.
>>
File: 1461945161426.png (207KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1461945161426.png
207KB, 400x400px
>join gym a few months ago
>very good gym
>suddenly people with cameras and notepads rush in
>they interview coach
Wut
>later
>do research on gym
>find out many famous people trained and fought here
>there is even a documentary about the gym
>has had champions train here
>coach doesn't make a big deal about it
>I just continue training
HO LEE SHIT
>>
File: 1473688207012.png (2MB, 1440x1258px) Image search: [Google]
1473688207012.png
2MB, 1440x1258px
HELP ME OUT ANONS

PLEASE

When I go boxing I always get this incredible pain in the joints between my knuckles and fingers.

It gets increasingly painful from the partner hitting my gloves to the point I lose focus and underperform severely just because I'm in so much pain

I understand soreness is normal in general but I feel like they're hammering my fingers each time. The pain grows very fast and goes away fast also, but its cumulative and I always stay sore for three or four days.

I purchased tighter, better fitting gloves and I wrap myself better now, what else can I do?

I have long fingers, so maybe that's the cause? am I just not good for boxing genetically? I'd hate to have to leave because of this, but I dont want to be arthritic at 30 for this shit, especially since I'm not into professional boxing.
>>
>>1950663
Not closing your fist well enough?
Or you could try conditioning the hands
>>
>>1951089

I close it well, it's not when I hit, but when someone else hits my gloves in training exercises.

The constant bang on the gloves gets to my fingers and builds up an almost unbearable pain in the joints
>>
>>1949053
That was the gayest story I have ever read, and I read Mr. Garrisons the Valley of Penises from cover to cover
>>
>>1950663
You could have arthritis. I had something similar with my wrists and shoulders. It got so bad that I felt like I was about to puke from the pain. Turns out I have RA. Sucks man.
>>
>>1952021
Yeah you probably have a problem, did it start hurting after a precise moment or has it been building up?
>>
>>1952057
>Mr. Garrisons the Valley of Penises
wut
>>
>>1952071

Maybe so, but its only when I bang my fingers and only on the finger / knuckle joint

I have long fingers and even with a closed fist and a straight wrist my fingers protrude a bit over the knuckles, hence why I bang my fingers with gloves on. I dont have problems when I'm not using gloves.

>>1952179

It started when I started boxing, maybe due to all the glove banging we do when practicing. The pain builds up fast and goes away semi-fast as well, but it hurts a fucking lot, to the point when I severely underperform because I cant focus on anything else but the pain.
>>
>>1938515
Self-defense is fun.

Then again I do taijiquan, which means getting beaten up in class is a slightly more infrequent experience.
>>
There's an Aikido black belt starting at my BJJ gym

How should I completely destroy his hopes and dreams first? I'm thinking heel hook.
>>
>>1956022
>being mean to people
Have you lost your mind, anon?
>>
>>1956022
High level Aikido guys are pretty decent in sparring though

He may not win a lot but they have a few good arm and wrist locks

Be respectful to him. He's clearly a dedicated guy since he put years into a different martial art already and now wants to expand his horizon.

Why do you want to leave a bad taste in his mouth with BJJ? If people are dicks to newcomers the turnover issue will never be solved.
>>
File: 1333133361083.jpg (64KB, 670x415px) Image search: [Google]
1333133361083.jpg
64KB, 670x415px
>>1956022
At least he's doing BJJ now
>>
>>1956022
You sound like a complete faggot. Kys.
>I want to haze the new blood... urrrr.. give me a cock to suck
>>
>>1956022
People hate traditional martial artists who are smug as fuck and think they can defeat everyone not just just any traditional martial artists.

If the guy wasn't humble and willing to learn he wouldn't be going to your class.

I hope he schools you.
>>
I've been lifting 2 years, fencing for about the same, but I want to get into a sport that actually uses my physical strength, and makes me feel like I gave my all after a bout. What should I look into? The boxing gym in my area seems to be for children, so that might be right out...
>>
I'm out of shape, coming up on 30. I know I'll never go pro or anything, but I intend to take up boxing. Seems like good exercise, I enjoy watching it, and there are gyms in town that check out as actually being pretty good.

However, I just got a new job and am flat broke until the paychecks start coming in, at which point I can get a car and will also have enough moneys for the boxing gym.

In the meantime, I can run, I can hit a nearby gym that only appears to have machines, or both.

What do you all recommend?
>>
>>1959571
Run. Do all the running, and jump rope, and then run some more.

>>1958772
I sympathize with the attitude, but last time we had an aikido guy roll with us he tried poking people in the eye, twisting fingers and stomping on my knees.

So, I vote flying armbar,
>>
>>1961197
Obviously fuck him up if he's acting like that but I think that the poster you're referring to should wait and see what his attitude is like before he permanently injures him.
>>
>>1961417
Oh, permanently injure you should never, ever do while rolling. I figured anon meant just 'what submission should I use to demonstrate how poorly Aikido prepares you for this.' I figured Heel Hook is a good choice because it completely avoids anything involving wrist wrestling, and most people are very surprised when it happens.
>>
>>1961197
>last time we had an aikido guy roll with us he tried poking people in the eye, twisting fingers and stomping on my knees.
So, I vote flying armbar,

Last time I met a black guy he was stealing something, so I vote we cut all the black guy's hands.
>>
File: removepost.jpg (22KB, 429x645px) Image search: [Google]
removepost.jpg
22KB, 429x645px
>>1961542
Yeah, why the fuck not?
>>
im 5'8 210ish lbs. should i go A2 or A3 for a bjj gi? i dont really plan on gaining or losing. but im more likely to put more muscle mass on than anything. the lender gear i was using today was a perfect fit but i didnt bother checking the size or anything
>>
>>1959097
kyokushin?
>>
>>1961542
Pretty good suggestion
>>
>>1929693

>Should the heel be kept up while standing

Completely depends. There is a lot of footwork that puts wheight on the heel, like the stance in Tiger Muay Thai.

For a beginner, keeping the heel up while standing, at least on your rear leg, will help you better lean over the knee on your lead leg. This is good because beginners usually go back and forth, if they lean back they get tagged because they lose balance, also when they lean back they cannot counter fast enough. So, by leaning over the knee, they are ridding themselves of this problem.

>Is lifting crucial to have a good performance

Sadly, I didn't want to admit this. But I've been testing this for a long time, there is no doubting the evidence, that at least for me, this is crucial. Especially deadlifts and squats.

It really depends on the situation. BJJ fighters rarely deal with the pain of being thrown, on the pavement a good wrestler could end it before it even begins, the same goes for any other similar grappling art. This is not the point, the point is that you don't want to be an incomplete fighter. Other styles of wrestling does not spend the time on submissions. If you have a hole, then you have an achiles heel. In this regard, there isn't much that can replace BJJ.
>>
>>1956022

Do what you do with any beginner.

Pull guard.

Build rubber guard.

Put him in the kimura. Hold it for some seconds.

Release the kimura and go straight to armbar. Hold it for a couple of seconds.

Release the armbar and do the zombie.

Go from zombie to gogoplata, hold for a couple of seconds.

Roll over the arm and go into omoplata. Hold until he rolls.

Stop his roll and get to full mount.

Attack his arm for americana, get your knee under his shoulder when he pulls his arm back to defend.

Get your other leg in S-mount. Transition into Spider Web.

As he defends the armbar, go fro a arm crush.

When he lets go you weave your feet between to go for the arm bar. Just hold his arm down, put don't raise your hip.

Go back to spider web, position your feet around his head so you can roll over him, carrying him with you into a triangle from full guard.

Tap him right before the time goes out.

Pat him on the back and say: All that and more I will teach you.
>>
>>1963771
Oh, and call him a cuckbelt, just for good measure.
>>
>>1963771
>All that and more I will teach you.
>>
>>1929693

I really don't get that question.
Martial arts are learned for different purposes - such as competition fighting, fitness, defense - and by different people, with correspondingly different mindsets and physiques.
While it may indeed be naive to assume that they are all equal in their ability to defeat the others and it is likely that there are some that are more effective, in the end what matters is that the art fits the practitioner well enough for that practitioner to be able to achieve what he or she desires and expects.
>>
>>1963771
>all that and more I will teach you

What anime is this?
>>
>>1965365
Can other grappling arts give you sufficient knowledge of ground fighting?
>>
>>1967037
bjj being the ultimate grappling style is a meme. Shit barely works without a gi on
>>
>>1967056
>T. wrestler
>>
File: thumbnail.aspx.png (88KB, 454x454px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail.aspx.png
88KB, 454x454px
what's the point of the top bit? looks completely useless
>>
File: 20-21-21-IMG_5350.jpg (29KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
20-21-21-IMG_5350.jpg
29KB, 320x480px
>>1967482
You can fast and temporarily attach stuff

>tfw no qt gook tkd gf
>>
File: IMG_0405.jpg (40KB, 435x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0405.jpg
40KB, 435x336px
>>1963771
>all that and more I will teach you
Jesus these are the autists who infest the martial arts
>>
File: Rin Nakai ZsivCr9.jpg (108KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
Rin Nakai ZsivCr9.jpg
108KB, 427x640px
>>1967803
>>
>>1967482
It can work as a friction clip. But when used as the weight for a whip, that little bit gives you that much more range.
>>
>>1967803
>>tfw no qt gook tkd gf
>tfw no qt airsift/paintball/mma/weapons fighting/parkour/climbing/mountain biking/archery/competitive shooting/chess/lock picking gf
>>
I signed up for boxing yesterday. First lesson is next Friday.

Do any of you guys box?

Tell me some cool things, please
>>
>>1969900
>Tell me some cool things, please
Boxing is a fun sport, but when you face martial artists as a whole, Boxing is too specialized to come out on top most of the time.
>>
>>1971152
>Boxing is a fun sport, but when you face martial artists as a whole, Boxing is too specialized to come out on top most of the time.
Grappling tends to come out a lot in that situation. But it's funny because once you throw in MMA and people mixing martial arts into the mix, strikes is what often wins fights.
>>
>>1969900
Training Boxing is good for most street fights because people who don't know how to fight are basically just really bad Boxers, and training Boxers puts you up against Boxers the whole time.
>>
>>1972466
>is good for most street fights
>2016
If you live in developed countries, where people have access to television and UFC, then more and more untrained fighters are very shitty MMA fighters.
>>
>>1938515
>Do you guys practice for fun or for self-defense?

Neither. It's habit.
>>
File: tumblr_ogft5nQPNh1tfrx5ho2_400.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogft5nQPNh1tfrx5ho2_400.gif
1MB, 360x202px
>>1929693
I haven't been training regularly for years. I just got laid off from work: where can I go in the United States to train 40-60 hours per week for a month or two? Judo preferred, BJJ/sambo/wrestling/MMA acceptable.
>>
>>1967991
who this man
>>
>>1973792
He kind of looks like the guy from Breaking Bad.
>>
>>1978275
Just more Asian.
>>
Excepting memes like pressure points (that at least sound like they belong on /x/), are there any schools that behave to martial arts as scifaggotry behaves to religion?

As much as I'd like to believe that all martial arts are legitimate I know humans are scumbags and some styles' practitioners make claims that have to be bullshit.
>>
>>1981050
>points on the human body that are exceptionally sensitive to pain
>/x/
>>
>>1981173
Not quite what I meant by pressure point.
More like "punch someone in the pinky toe and he drops dead"-tier. I've heard stories, and no small number of them told by self-professed experts, but I am doubtful for a reason.
>>
>>1981050

>Not so subtly reveals his christfag tendencies while also showing total ignorance towards martial arts

Fascinating.
>>
>>1981218
Dude, muslim.
>>
>>1981246

Islam is an Abrahamic religion, close enough.

To answer the question at hand though: Basically any eastern/"Traditional" martial art not named Muay Thai, Jujutsu/Judo, or Kyokushin (assuming it's a school that bothers to teach face/head punching) is probably bullshit. Anything that involves "trapping" is a meme, and should be ignored instantly.

I'm sure there's some I missed, but the honest truth is, 99% of martial arts are bullshit, and have no use outside of sport/exercise/entertainment.
>>
>>1973792
Kona Magigga
>>
>>1981184
>>
>>1972469
>>
File: 042.jpg (128KB, 508x705px) Image search: [Google]
042.jpg
128KB, 508x705px
How do you guys pay for your classes??

My club is moving to a direct debit subscription. That seems to mean I'll be paying to nights I can't make it to and you can't cancel without getting fined.

Is this normal now?

I just want to pay membership and then on the day.
>>
>>1985960
Monthly in cash, or per-class in cash if you rarely show up. Pretty sure they take checks and plastic, too.
>>
>>1985960
Pretty much >>1986010.
>>
>>1985960
Only cash
>>
>>1981184
>>1981987
I wasn't sure if that neck chop thing was real until I saw it with my own eyes.

Allow me to set the scene

>be me
>merchant sailor
>working apprenticeship aboard a cruise ship
>one of my classmates later cremated aboard the ship is a complete fucking shithead
>the kind of shithead who's white and grew up in the suburbs but likes to pretend he's from tha streetz yo
>supreme Manlet too, barely clearing 5 feet and super insecure about it.
>despite this, I have to be fair and say he does lift and is in pretty good shape.
>back on topic, one day apprentice shithead is finishing up his workout that I was unfortunately present for
>wiping down his bench he just got down grunting and screaming on
>while he's doing this he catches a glimpse of the lankiest skellington security guard on the ship
>in typical apprentice shithead fashion he asks in the most condescending douchebag tone he can
>"hey bro, if someone were to come at you, what would you do?"
>without missing a beat, the security guard shrugs and fucking karate chops him right in the neck
>goes down like a sack of shit
>while I'm laughing my ass off security guard walks off and shithead gets up yelling "what the fuck bro, what the fuck"

I later heard from his cabin mates that he called his mom to ask if he should fight him. For me that was just icing on the cake. That motherfucker was annoying every second I knew him and I'm glad he got dropped.
>>
>>1989264
wew
>>
>>1969900
You will learn hot to punch people really hard
>>
So, who the fuck is Sang H. Kim and are his books worth it in addition to ordinary training?
>>
>>1948075
Grizzly.
>>
>>1954834
Try knuckle push-ups, see what happens and let us know.
>>
>>1929693
BJJ is outdated. We can just have one martial art that has everything.
>>
File: bendo thigh punch.webm (2MB, 494x276px) Image search: [Google]
bendo thigh punch.webm
2MB, 494x276px
>>1993481
>We can just have one martial art that has everything.
Implying, that's not what human beings have tried to do those past 3 millenia...
You don't understand the concept of martial art.
>>
>>1995086
You don't understand the human history as well as martial arts.
>>
>>1995699
Proove it faggot!
>>
File: 52d.jpg (217KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
52d.jpg
217KB, 1920x1200px
>>1929693
Now that /asp/ is in its final death throes from late-stage cancer, where have all the old martial autists from this board gone?
>>
>>1997292
There use to be a thread on /fit/ now and then, but the board itself is fast enough to prune it during slow days.

Also, there was some progress into fighting this meme posting, so hopefully with the new janitors we may get a chance to recover the board for the martial artist.
>>
File: 1475168747700.gif (472KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
1475168747700.gif
472KB, 500x250px
Be honest with me /asp/, what does one need to have to succeed in the world of Professional Boxing?
>>
>>1997501
Starting as soon as fucking possible and dedicating all your free time to practicing without overworking yourself.
>>
>>1997588
>practicing without overworking yourself.
This part is super important. I've injured myself from pushing too hard more than a few times.
>>
>>1938515
Both
>>
>>1997501
What >>1997588 said. But when your body is at rest, you may exercise your mind. However, the mind, too performs best when well rested. Make To be the best you that you can be, you need to get a good night of sleep every single day, you need to maintain your stress levels, and to keep your body in health, you should maintain your stress levels without mind altering substances.
>>
>>1933353
>Seems similar to karate, I've heard people say that bareknuckle gypsy boxers use a lot of karate techniques and principles before but I can't say how true that really is.
I've see an article that's difficult to locate now comparing the two. Meotode's specifically very similar and makes sense considering Karate primarily a bareknuckle art
>http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?24074-How-is-a-karate-punch-different-than-a-boxing-punch
>http://www.karatebyjesse.com/reviving-meotode-the-ancient-okinawan-karate-concept-of-kicking-ass/
>>
File: Shinyu Gushi Nigirigame.jpg (137KB, 519x800px) Image search: [Google]
Shinyu Gushi Nigirigame.jpg
137KB, 519x800px
>>1929693
>Is lifting crucial to have a good performance?
Yes
>>1935907
>I don't think lifting is crucial for everyone
Llifting/calisthenics,resistance training is or at least should be inseparable from martial arts and the strength gained thereby is essential if you're going to practice and fight.
>>
>>1998969
>Yes
lol no
>>
>>1998962
That's pretty redpilling
>>
>>1999728
>lol no
If your going to fight and want to physically improve your efficacy with your style, resistance training is absolutely essential. Is is absolutely 100% balls to the wall necessary for every single small thing not really, I'll give you that. But does it help out alot in a majority of important areas in an art, but is it essential for the above yes. And martial artists from every culture, from Okinawa like in pic related I posted above >>1998969
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hojo_und%C5%8D
to India,
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/09/its-time-to-stop-mocking-indians-for.html?zx=21f0869b60adc218
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/09/its-time-to-stop-mocking-indians-for_30.html
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/11/its-time-to-stop-mocking-indians-for.html
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/11/its-time-to-stop-mocking-indians-for_885.html
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2013/01/its-time-to-stop-mocking-indians-for.html
and the west understood this
>>
>>1999728
Every martial artist should have some kind of resistance training, unless you're nursing an injury or something. It is crucial for performance.
>>
File: YAMATO DAMESHII.png (1MB, 1432x2958px) Image search: [Google]
YAMATO DAMESHII.png
1MB, 1432x2958px
>>1943797
>Kyokushin is basically entirely based on taking hits with your muscles
>>
>>1929693
Where do you guys buy training guns and knives and such?
>>
I want to do bjj but my friends that wrestle say that it's inferior, and that they would just slam a bjj practitioner. I really don't want to wear a singlet but if bjj isn't as good why do it. Then I spoke with a bjj guy and he said college and high school wrestling don't have submissions and isnt as good. Are they both right about both systems having holes? I noticed wrestlers are usually better athletes, but I figured that was because bjj is just a hobby for a lot of people and not a competitive sport.
>>
>>2001155
Do both. Wrestling builds a lot of power and stamina, as well as escape skills, and dominant top work, while bjj works a general ground game focusing equally on most parts. If you go into either with experience from the other you'll be better off. Bjj has plenty of submissions ranging from chokes to leglocks, and is a very useful martial art on the ground. If you train wrestling and bjj you'll have a very dominant top game with good defenses, and likely an almost equally good bottom game if you really work in bjj.
>>
>>2001202
Alright thanks for the reply, I think I'll go with bjj
>>
>>2000000
This is fucking hilarious
>>
File: karate-fail-1-o.gif (2MB, 320x240px)
karate-fail-1-o.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>when you try to teach MMA noobs about distancing
>>
>>2001155
>they would just slam a bjj practitioner
Possible, BJJ doesn't usually tech you to deal with slams.
>college and high school wrestling don't have submissions
True as well - if they can't pull off the slam, they'll get caught in a submission because they don't recognize it.
>I noticed wrestlers are usually better athletes
This is also because standing grappling requires a lot more atheletic ability.
>>
>>1972455
Grappling comes out on top because ufc rules favor grapplers. I wish they'd get rid of some of their rules so we'd see more great kickboxing coming out on top
>>
Sup /mag/, I'm going to be getting into a fist fight tomorrow. I have two questions.

Firstly I want to take a dose of neurofen+ half an hour before the fight so i can feel less, and focus more on whats going on, but not at the expense of it impacting my performance. Would you guys advice me to take the painkillers or not?

Secondly I dont know if i should wear hand wraps; on one hand theyd soften the stress put on my knuckles but on the other im aftaid theyll soften my blows. I understand that these kind of fights are decided in a couple of descisive blows so there might be no point in me wearing them if theyll hamper my impact. Handwraps or no handwraps /mag/?

Also any other tips? I have limited experience with Muay Thai, and I've never been in a fight outside a gym.
>>
>>2008721
Ok seeing as you have little to no experience in martial arts. Firstly, dont take any medication which could alter your cognitive state.

Secondly, wear a mouthguard if anything. Having teeth fall out on you sucks ass, as a broken hand/wrist can heal over time.

Now when it comes to the actual fight, just use everything- Punches, kicks, grappling, its basically kill or be killed. With your fight or flight response kicking in you will have a fuck load of adrenaline so try not to exert all your energy right away.

Anyway, if you do get dropped immediately cover your head (curl up into a ball pretty much). Good luck.
>>
>>2008782

Unfortunately I've no mouth guard :(

I'm comfortable with clinching but ive never grappled before so i hope it doesnt come to that.
I wont wear something that will allow me to kick higher than his legs and kneeing him would be out of the question, but i could swap that out for a pair of sports shorts if you think that would be a better option, and worth it (Dont want it to look like im going overboard).
>>
>>2008796

just wear some sports shorts and a tshirt, no way will you feel comfortable in jeans or pants which can restrict your movement. Also throw heaps of body kicks and exit them with a jab or a straight to stop them from countering
>>
>>2008796
How much muay thai experience do you have, be honest. If you try to kick him and there isn't much power and no punches behind it, you're going to get fucking dropped. I'd really avoid taking painkillers before a fight because if you hurt him and people accuse you of taking pills to fight better you could land in trouble
>>
>>2001064
Just off Amazon or whatever website sells them cheapest.

I just have a few cold steel knife trainers.

FMA webstores have nicer metal trainers.
>>
>>2008721
>Would you guys advice me to take the painkillers or not?
The positive effects of painkillers don't out weigh the negative effects. If they did outweigh the negative effects, you wouldn't need them in the first place.
>>
>>2008721
>I understand that these kind of fights are decided in a couple of descisive blows
If both fighters suck at fighting and are all stressed out and can't control their adrenaline.

You could technically say that all high level professional UFC fights are decided in a couple of decisive blows.
>>
>>2008721
>Also any other tips?
If your opponent isn't a trained and knowledgeable fighter, your opponent probably won't know how to check kicks, and won't know how to deal with distance fighting.
One full power leg kick could TKO your opponent and end the fight at least 25% of the time when it comes to unconditioned, non-athletic, untrained and unknowledgeable, non-martial artist fighters.
>>
>>2009197
>One full power leg kick could TKO your opponent and end the fight at least 25% of the time when it comes to unconditioned, non-athletic, untrained and unknowledgeable, non-martial artist fighters.
I've seen skinny high level BJJ plays take one good leg kick and go down.
>>
OK guys I've started Ju Jitsu. Japanese JJ.

I'm gonna be getting a gi soon obviously and I notice that that JJ gi's are like $40 more Judo ones.

Can i get away with a cheap Judo gi? Whats the difference?
>>
>>2011483
Ask your teacher, I do karate but I think I sometimes wear a judo gi given that it's larger around the waist and at the wrists compared to the other ones. Nobody even notices aside the fact that it tends to open more easily
>>
>>1973249
Sambo is very very rare outside eastern european countries like Russia. There is ONE school in New York City if you are somewhere in that area.

Judo schools are disappearing all over america and being replaced by MMA

Wrestling is inaccessible to people that have graduated HS and College. So you will have to go to an MMA gym to learn basic wrestling techniques.

So best option would be to find an affordable MMA place and go from there.
>>
>>2012854
>Wrestling is inaccessible to people that have graduated HS and College. So you will have to go to an MMA gym to learn basic wrestling techniques.
I used to wrestle before I left the school system. There are some old-timers' tournaments around here in central PA, but I don't know of any actual classes or training groups.

>So best option would be to find an affordable MMA place and go from there.
This is looking like my best option, though I'm considering trying to train at Jimmy Pedro's school in Boston and trying to financially justify a trip to the Kodokan. Any good schools to train MMA intensively at? I've done some TKD but otherwise cannot into striking.
>>
File: kenny.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
kenny.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>1948075
>>
>>2006985
Literally stands the fighters up at the end of rounds. Can't deliver knee strikes to downed opponents. Gloves make slipping under the neck hard as shit and the defender can just hold the gloves for a stand up so he gets another try. I love both striking and grappling but I laugh when people say grapplers are favored.
>>
>>2001155
Do both and kick all their asses. Only morons argue over styles when it's pretty obvious you need to know it all.
>>
>>2004595
There is no slamming in wrestling either though. The only places that teach resistance to slams is mma gyms.
>>
>>1952071
I have arthritis from running a jackhammer at work and it makes my joints hurt while training. Wat do?
>>
>>2014472
I'd try to take it easy
>>
>>2014478
That suggestion makes me sad. I don't want to start acting old yet.
>>
>>1973249
This is easy. If you want judo, the go to Glendale Fighting Club in Southern California. Other good options would the Jason Morris Judo Center in NY, Jimmy Pedro's school in Boston, San Jose State Judo Club in Northern California (you have to enroll in their 'open university' program to join), and another club in Colorado that I'm not remembering. All of those schools have produced judo olymipans.
Speaking of judo olympians, don't rule out Renzo Gracie's club in NY, as Travis Stevens trained there to prep for the london olympics.
If you don't mind the altitude, there are a metric ton of excellent MMA schools that produce high level players in Albuquerque NM.
>>
>>2014407
>Can't deliver knee strikes to downed opponents.
Knees to downed opponents is striking.
>>
>>1938515
Fitness. It also happens to be fun as shit, I like the people I train with, and I'll have a better chance at manhandling anyone who I may need to defend myself against.
>>
File: tumblr_m7vs38seyg1r8qnf7o1_500.gif (925KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7vs38seyg1r8qnf7o1_500.gif
925KB, 500x275px
>>1967803
Uhm, actually that is just a very feminine boy
>>
Who here have themselves shadow boxing on youtube and wants to share and critique each other?

Or is that too risky on 4chan?
>>
>>2015727
Source
>>
>>2015735
The board actually did this about a year ago. It was a kicking general where people showed off their kicking skills in gifs and constructive criticism/compliments were made. Some people like Dr. Goblin had some pretty good stuff to show off. Others, like Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan, embarrassed themselves so badly that it became legendary. Someone probably has his gif around here somewhere.
>>
>>2016166
>The board actually did this about a year ago
Has it really been that long?
>>
>>2015208
knees to downed opponents benefits grapplers more because they should have more control on the ground to do those knees. Grapplers are still alowed to strike on the ground. Strikers can already knee grapplers attempted take downs, but if they grappler succeedes in taking the striker down he can't knee at all to the head.
>>
>>2016622
>knees to downed opponents benefits grapplers more
No, it benefits ground strikers more. All that submission seeking nut grabbing goes out the window when you can knee a grounded opponent, deliver downward pointing elbows, and stomp the fuck out of a fetishistic mud sport faggot rolling on the floor.
>>
So do punches get faster in MMA or are you stuck with the same speed more or less?

Please help
>>
How does one practise the Way of the Samurai/Bushido?
>>
>>2017375
Train Ju Jitsu, karate and kenjutsu. Iaidomand aikido won't hurt either.
>>
>>2002857
What are you going on about? MMA strikers are generally very good at distancing, they've caught on with timing too.. what they tend to suck at is using angles. But that's because taking advantage of them generally leaves them more vulnerable to a take down.
>>
File: soccer kick.gif (959KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
soccer kick.gif
959KB, 500x279px
>>2016622
This so much. I would argue that the no strike with lower limbs to the head of a downed opponent favors wreslters more, since it forbid double and single legs to be punished from the get go if the attacker lays a hand on the ground.

The downside is if the one standing has weaker grappling skills, he's not coerced to go hunt the one on the ground. Hall/Manyard is the perfect sample of this. Hall was brought to stand up many times a round.

>>2016807
>Ground stikers
You know nothing in MMA nor grappling.
You can't strike efficiently without one of those:
Your free hips and upper body
Your opponent hips trapped or scapular chain trapped.
Both are stapple and basics of grappling.
TL;DR
Position before submission.
Because position allows you to chose between striking or submitting.
>>
>>2016807
"Ground strikers"
We still call those grapplers my friend. Also being able to strike in more way on the ground also opens up more submissions cause you can force your opponent to move and make himself vulnerable.
>>
>>2018304
>Also being able to strike in more way on the ground also opens up more submissions cause you can force your opponent to move and make himself vulnerable.
Ground and pound makes it so you don't even have to try to seek submissions in the first place.
>>
Got my first bjj tournament in a week, submission only. Any tips?
>>
>>2020489
Submit the other guy without getting submitted yourself.
>>
>>2020489
Get real good at a take down
>>
>>2020489
Learn to relax. Not just that noob relaxing, some intermediate level relaxing. If you've reached intermediate level relaxing, start working on some expert level relaxing.
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 352x438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 352x438px
>>2020489
Don't give up.
>>
>>2015727
>implying it matters
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 251x201px
>>2022222
Checked
>>
>>2020489
Punch your opponent in the jaw, he won't see it coming and after he's almost knocked out from that it'll be easy to submit him
>>
>>2023565
Kek
>>
>>2016166
good times gone too soon
>>
>>2016166
Anything other than traditional Yang and Chen taijiquan is an embarrassment.
>>
bampu
>>
>>2016462
Baguajujitsu was supposed to fight CCP two years ago
>>
File: Capture.jpg (213KB, 846x634px)
Capture.jpg
213KB, 846x634px
do any of you have secret forbidden techniques?
tonight my sensei taught me a forbidden technique. I'm the first one of his students he ever showed it to and he only showed me the basics, but we practiced it for just a little while and now my knuckles are all shredded up just from that little bit
>>
Hey /mag/ I asked this over in /heem/ but got nothing what's a good price for classes in Florida?
I've asked one BJJ and one Muay Thai place nearby and they were around $125-$180 per month and there's no fucking way I can pay that.
>>
>>2029624
You get an erection and use it as a stick, it's very robust and practical
>>
>>2029624
tonight my sensei taught me a forbidden technique. I'm the first one of his students he ever showed it to and he only showed me the basics, but we practiced it for just a little while and now my rectum is all shredded up just from that little bit
>>
>>2029637
>>2029648
don't bully, it's a very powerful technique

he only taught me because I can be trusted not to reveal it without good cause
>>
>>2029725
That's pretty neato. How's it work?
>>
>>2029626
Look for boxing and judo, they tend to be cheaper even when they're really good schools. I trained with a former Olympic coach and judo champion for $90/month, multiple classes classes six days a week.
>>
>>2029626
>>2029747
The place down the street from him was still respectable and had fewer classes but was only $40/mo
>>
>>2029728
well I can't say too much, but using a series of specific deceptive movements you can slip past anyones guard upwards of 4 full power blows in one second

that is at it's most basic level though, he demonstrated a more advanced level that allowed him to cover distance and attack with overwhelmingly blinding speed. He says there is more to teach me but I need to master the basics first, and I'm only to use it as a last resort when I really need to take someone out and conventional methods have failed
>>
>>2029787
So, he taught you boxing? Sounds like a good time.
>>
File: 2016-12-07 01.01.11.jpg (1MB, 1883x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-07 01.01.11.jpg
1MB, 1883x1060px
>>2029799
I've made a scroll to record the secret movements. I will pass it down to my students some day
>>
File: 2016-12-07 01.07.54.jpg (1MB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-07 01.07.54.jpg
1MB, 1885x1060px
>>2029857
Now it's sealed away in here. I just need to stash it away now for safe keeping so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.
>>
File: 1480140364859.jpg (134KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
1480140364859.jpg
134KB, 1024x717px
>>2029857
It's a shame your students aren't around for you to teach the secret movements. Maybe I could be your student tonight, Anon.
>>
I think this forbidden technique is called shitposting.
>>
>>2030286
No

The secrets of tkd are so widely known?!
>>
I'm 22, soon to be 23. And started training combat sambo about half a year ago. Is there hope for me making any sort of career out of this, or should I just treat it like a hobby?
>>
>>2031001
Depends on how much you want it, and in what way. Its possible if you deeicste yourself enough but I'm not gonna say how limely it is. If you do decide to though, then get the fuck to it, you're not getting any younger. Do you have any past in any other sports? Because that'd certainly help.
>>
N>>2031001
I'd do some sort of grappling or kickboxing on the side if you want to do mma.
>>
>>2031107
I'm not sure what you think sambo is
>>
>>2031001
Treat it as a lifestyle. If you're able to make money off of it in fights or training others, that just a plus.
>>
>>2031129
I know what it is, it's just good to have a specialty pham. If you want to be a professional samboist if that exists then fine but it'll be harder to get far in mma single style, even if it's sambo
>>
>>2031244
>but it'll be harder to get far in mma single style
It depends on what you define a style to be.
>>
>>1956022

Finger in the eyes, or up the arse
>>
>>2029624

Kick in the groin, punch aiming to the throat instead of the jaw.
>>
>>2033336
>Kick in the groin, punch aiming to the throat
What kind of kick? What kind of punch?
>>
>>2033335
>or up the arse
I like this one. Whether your opponent clenches up or accepts it, you know you're in control and you can really feel it.
>>
>>2033559
>clenches up
>becomes tighter and your grip just becomes stronger
Or
>accepts it
>you can go deeper and puppet him
I think a new martial art is being developed in this very thread
>>
>>2033559
https://youtu.be/6j6pKK5deOc?t=5m23s
>>
>>2029624
Yeah when I go for a rear naked choke I stick my fingers in their nose and pull it up to reveal their neck.
>>
>>1993481
martial arts are not static. There is no one best style, hell even multiple forms packed into one style is filled with flaws. Because each individual will always prefer some moves to others. Jeet Kune Do's entire relevancy is about this exact thing, take what you like and throw the rest away. Being optimal is all that matters, improv is more important than rigidness. Learn everything you can and make it your own.
>>
>>2034880
>bruce lee disbanded all bjj dojos
>we could've had people like danny inosanto teach people JK
>now it's all a bunch of scammers teaching pressure point fighting and shit
Why
>>
>>2000474
What do you guys think of Teppu? The story was kind of not about martial arts at all, and the author hardly knew about martial arts. But I liked how it was grounded in reality.
>>
File: wrestling manual.jpg (839KB, 1281x1961px) Image search: [Google]
wrestling manual.jpg
839KB, 1281x1961px
Anyone have a copy of this book that they'd be willing to upload to mega? A lot of analyst are pretty big on this book and I can't find it anywhere without having to pay hundreds of dollars.
>>
>>2033716
>there are two martial arts that / asp/ created

>one was the pipebomb, the other one was the asspuppet

>only one man mastered the pipebomb, and he can only be killed by he who masters the ass puppet style
>>
>>2035142
I liked teppu for talking about the villian for once. I like protags that are horrible people doing horrible things

Totally didnt see her losing but i was rooting for her. She was the tall one who did traditionalist striking. Masowaifu
>>
>>2035256
she had a shitty personality but wasn't horrible, she kind of developed that shitty personality because of how people react to her talent. eye brows was made out to be the ruthless psycho.

I like how they put the whole Japanese obsession with talent v hard work in an MMA setting, no matter how talented you are you have to work hard to be a fighter some things aren't instinctual in it. and the guy with the shitty talent and technique could always potentially win because of how vast the sport is not to mention puncher's chance.
>>
>>2014657
Thanks, anon, I'll be making some calls today.
>>
>>2035142
>The story was kind of not about martial arts at all, and the author hardly knew about martial arts.
Come on, martial arts played a huge role, and the author observed trainings and fights, and did some good research work.
>>2035256
>I like protags that are horrible people doing horrible things
Maybe you're just an edgy faggot
>>2035287
>eye brows was made out to be the ruthless psycho.
Really ? Seemed to me she just lacked a little empathy
Personally I think Teppuu was the most realistic and true to life manga about martial arts I've ever read.
>Tekken Chinmi was a bit too "ancient secret techniques" but still great
>tons of others go full cinema with "ultra hardcore training of death", "fighting spirit > cardio and conditioning", "screw real life techniques, let's use ninja-tier shit"
>Baki is still the ugliest visual media ever created, and the laughing stock of martial arts fiction
>>
>>1938515
Kinda both. I mean, boxing isn't everything in a street fight, but it makes me more rounded in the event I get in one. I'm a <insert Bane meme here> and have done wrestling before, so basically the only people who might attack me are manlets who I can just bulldoze.
Other than that, I just really like boxing as a sport
>>
>>1956022
You sound like a meme anime antagonist. And not like a main villain, but the first bully the main character BTFOs.
>>
>>1959097
Pick up HEMA. It'll be a weapon-y style that lets you go all Destroy-it Dan on your opponent
>>
File: pride.jpg (42KB, 360x270px)
pride.jpg
42KB, 360x270px
There was no bigger mistake in the history of MMA than the UFC buying out Pride.

Set back MMA so many years in Russia and Japan

>>2035414
>Come on, martial arts played a huge role, and the author observed trainings and fights, and did some good research work.

Yeah, but the knowledge seemed very shallow. Which I guess fits the manga, but I'd like to have seen more depth about striking styles, grappling strategy, and just game plans in general.
>>
>>2034867
do you shout forbidden technique! before you do it?
>>
>>2036555
I whisper it gently into their ear immediately after the fact.
>>
>>2036581
>not shouting in japanese before doing it
>>
>>2036581
>>2036613

Heh, you've actually made me resort to using "that". You do well
>>
>>2036613
>you are pinned against the mat
>you try every escape you know and nothing is working
>......except for one
>master forgive me
>FORBIDDEN TECHNIQUE!
>MIZU KOHAIIIIIII!!!!!
>give the guy a wet willy
>>
File: legs.jpg (103KB, 635x726px) Image search: [Google]
legs.jpg
103KB, 635x726px
New IJF rules:

http://www.judocrazy.com/2016/12/verification-of-new-ijf-rules-2017.html

>wazari downgraded to yuko, doesn't add up to ippon
>gripping deregulation
>3 shidos = DQ
>leg grab = shido 1st offence, then DQ
but also see pic related, some confusion
>10 second hold = wazari (which is a yuko)
>men's matches are 4 minutes

Thoughts?
>>
>>2036996
>leg grab = shido 1st offence, then DQ
>but also see pic related
seems like it will be at the judges discretion, like maybe they will call you for doing double legs but not firemans carries
>>
>>2031001
Maybe you should ask your coach instead of a board full of people who don't practice combat sambo
>>
File: 3465754464.png (1MB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
3465754464.png
1MB, 940x940px
I just had pic related arrive today. This is my first set of mma gloves that I'm planning on using for bag work. I usually fit small gloves snug and ordered a pair of medium. When I make a fist they are cutting a little in between my fingers and was wondering if I should send them back for a size up or if they will just break in over time.
>>
>>2036996
>Fingers allowed inside opponent's sleeve

I always thought this was a safety issue. Why is this now allowed?
>>
I am a fat woman (1.70m and 110kg last I checked) who would like to get fitter and stronger and also learn some discipline and all the general benefits one gains when pursuing martial arts.

Which ones would be suitable for me? (Inb4 lol sumo desu)
I would be dieting and exercising alongside, so this isn't (solely) for weight loss.

I would like to know if there are some that naturally lend themselves to stockier frames, or that might not focus too much on sparring (I don't want to hurt anyone because of my shitty body).

Thank you sirs.
>>
>>2037057
Look into what's available to you and look for a place that has testimonials that fit for what your looking for. Sit in on a class or two before even thinking about signing up.
>>
>>2037063
That's good advice. I live in London (UK) so pretty much anything and everything will be available, which is how I'm hoping to narrow things down a bit based on "stuff that definitely won't do" to an "eehhh maybe", you know?
>>
>>2037071
Yeah, with the availability in London it's all about what flavour you want in your training.
99% ground work? BJJ
Standing hands and feet? MT
Take and give hard hits? Kyokushin
Hands and feet with take downs? Sanda

Of course there's more nuance and other styles, but those four are """"generally"""" considered competent.
>>
>>2037052
Those are sexy, how's the build quality?
>>
>>2037087
Quality stitching with pretty dense padding. The fabric on the inside seems to wick moisture almost too well as I'm finding my hands drying out when I first put them on. Would definitely recommend.
>>
>>2037100
I almost bought a pair a couple years ago, but I was a poorfag when I was fighting so I didn't buy them. Now I'm less of a poorfag, but got out of fighting because of my work schedule. Work was killing my soul, so I quit my job and am getting back into fighting as soon as I finish tying up some loose ends--maybe I'll buy these while I can still afford them. Who has the best price on them delivered right now? Last I was looking, they were over $100 +shipping anywhere I could find them.
>>
>>2037149
The best price I could find anywhere was $99+shipping, which is what they're sold at direct from Hayabusa, so I just bought from them.
>>
>>2037085
>picking a standup that doesn't have punches to the head
coming from a shotokan practitioner don't do fucking karate for self defense. I do shotokan because it's fun and I do muay thai because it works
>>
>>2037175
>implying you cant just do one of the kyo offshoots with head punches
Sure, you could also do something like muay thai, but then you don't get to larp like a sushi flavor of "tuff guy" tm. And there's always the middle ground of dutch kickboxing
>>
>>2037191
Kek I admit that larping like I'm a karate master is sweet. I don't even tell people I box and do muay thai for standup so it just seems like I know weird oriental shit that works
>>
>>2037175
>>2037191
I was just giving >>2037071 some advice on what is uaually found on a couple styles. We don't know what exactly their looking for in a martial art, so no need to start comparing and dissing them.
>>
>>2037196
See, I'd probably choose boxing or a kyo style becuase I'm a dumb asshole who'll choose it for being most appealing by which I mean finding it cool. Now I just hqve to stop sucking at judo and i can pretend to be a side character in weebshit since they never get to play an important role.
>>2037200
Just a bit of banter m8
>>
>>2035414
>tkdbrah is an edgy faggot

This is /pol/tier breaking news to /asp/

How dare you diss baki, the single most realistic fighting manage ever made. Makes holyland look like fucking punch out.

>>2035287
Im torn. I kinda get her inferiority complex, but i feel like if she wasnt tall i would be avatardagging eyebrows instead. I fucking loved eyebrows and wanted to see more of her.

I think im like eyebrows. The whole not caring about risk and going for fun. Not getting other peoples hangups all the time. Just being a bit off and weird.

Not to mention the clumsy. I am all the clumsy, really.

I hope we have a manga of eyebrows beating people up and not caring about their backstory because shes too busy having fun.

Like ippo if ippos story was always "omfg i fucking love this shit lets keep going"

The talent thing was cool too, but ive seen talented people end up crashing and hard workers pull through.

That being said, id rather fight someone else who has both talent and technique. Talent alone can be fun but its a one trick pony and technique is textbook to counter, litterally.

>>2036479
Teppu was as deep as the charaters saw it. One had a knowledge of fighting without the specifics, the other just didnt care. Did eyebrows really care about park or was park just a momentary thill, a sudoku puzzle over all to quick?

Holyland is good but its paced like a manga documentary. Not everything needs to be yuyuhakisho with 40 pages of tldr. Most people reading knew more then the author, so the author spilling his hand would break the illusion to an extent
>>
>>2035142
IMO (which will be quite an unpopular one), is quite overrated. Is good, but that's it. Definitely not the best MA manga, or MMA for that matter. Maybe a 7/10. Tops

I love the art style, it reminds me of other manga like hellsing with the use of shades and shadows and crazy eyes, with some variety in the design of the characters and dynamic fights sequences. I also love some of the characters, particularly being fond of "Cameron Diaz" and Sanae, the karate girl.

And that's it.

You see, the whole "so talented that I'm bored" plot is a huge novelty, but you can only use it so many times before it runs dry and the entire thing becomes stale, not just because ruins the sense of drama about the MC challenge, but because it also ruins the plot for most of the secondary characters. One of the appeals of sports manga is that the MC can, and usually will lose against the antagonist because it sets a more personal goal than just winning the national tournament.

However, when the MC wins every single match from the very beginning, everything before the revenge, like the semi-finals (which most fans know are fillers anyway) feel even more tedious as the MC, through sheer talent, will steam roll them anyway. And if the author tries to set up a different tone, it falls as unbelievable. "So this girl beat the second best karate-ka fighter at the nationals, but now can't beat a nobody in MMA? Yeah, right...". Yeah, yeah, I know, MMA > anything else in the MA history since sliced bread.

Anyway, point is, if we try to keep the interest merely by the training sequences and focus more on the secondary characters background, than the stagnant MC, teppu is... is still not that good.

If we pick realism over personal drama, all rounder meguru spend entire chapters focusing on the characters training and more training, and even then they keep losing. Fuck, the MC is like 2-5 w/l by the middle of the entire thing, and one of his friends quit after his very first win. 1/2
>>
>>2037055
Don't know. Even BJJ disallows them I hear? Maybe the refs are just lazy and this is more of a "do it at your own risk" kind of thing.
>>
>>2035187
Ask your library. If they don't have it, they can do an ILL for you to get it. Libraries are fucking based.
>>
>>2036996
Without going into specific points, it looks like the rules were adjusted so that people that pick up bad habits from cross training bjj aren't going to be drawing as many fouls.

It also looks like (because of the wazari change) it is harder to game the rules when you face someone who mainly does mma or submission only grappling.

Before, you could stack small things to equal ippon and sub only guys don't realize it, but in the new rules you can't do that.
>>
>>2037804
>you could stack small things to equal ippon
Yukos can't turn into Ippon. You can score 12 and still lose if the other guy has a wazari or sub you
>>
>>2037670
All rounder meguru spends lots and lots of pages on training, but also on the fights which ranges from just striking to ground, chokes and submissions. In this sense is very technical, and quite detailed as the characters don't just win by a mere punch, and quite often they lose even after applying some techniques (like the armbar), because the rules and points. Also, they have to balance the training and personal life, to the point the MC is given the ultimatum to improve his grades or quit the training. And then, some other characters have to quit school to keep training... only to discover they can't made a living out of it.

Does any of this happens on teppu? Nope. Apparently this girl is so good that only a couple hours of training are more than enough to be a good fighter, and she either doesn't care about school, or she still have energy left to study enough to avoid troubles with her parents. Mary sue, anyone?

Fuck, I even like holyland even more because, as unrealistic as it is (apparently, striking > everything), the author have a solid knowledge and his almost manual-esque description of the different techniques is entertaining on his own way.
>>
File: images (9).jpg (17KB, 185x272px) Image search: [Google]
images (9).jpg
17KB, 185x272px
You're all wrong, the Japanese are incapable of creating a martial arts manga that isn't cringy bullshit
>>
File: 1461030325767.jpg (15KB, 278x395px)
1461030325767.jpg
15KB, 278x395px
So, my uncle hit me today. We are both 6ft tall, but he is a 43yo fat fuck and I'm skeltal mode. What could I learn in order to defend myself should he try to mess with me again? I could always let him kick my ass and sue him later, but he is mentally ill and I'm afraid he will seriously try to kill me if there is a next time.
>>
>>2038179
Nothing beats a well-placed pipebomb.

But if you'retoo retarded to make a good pipebomb and place it properly, try judo/bjj/wrestling if you're a faggot, plus boxing/mt/kickboxing if you're a nigger, plus FMA if you're a criminal, plus parkour if you're a coward.
>>
>>2038179
Maybe don't hang around your violence prone, retarded uncle
>>
>>2038248
I don't want to write a blog but whatever:
He is a NEET and we both live with my grandmother (he actually lives in a house that was built especially for him in my grandma's backyard), so he regularly comes for food or just to watch TV. He also got addicted to his meds, and gets all violent whenever he doesn't have them.
>>
>>2036996
It's a great news! Finally Judo will be fun again.
What I didn't like is the 4 minutes for all. Women should have fought 5 minutes...
>>
>>2035187
Go ask reddit. Seriously. For Judo they had the best online links to dl the worthy books.
>>
>>2037149
A lot of people online say that Hayabusa's other stuff is of similar quality but a lot cheaper, and that the main reason to buy these isn't the quality, even though the quality is good, but the sexiness. So, it's kind of like it's for people who have extra money to dish out for a sexy ass pair of gloves that are also highly functional.
>>
>>2035287
>no matter how talented you are you have to work hard to be a fighter
But you don't have to work as hard as normal people.
>>
>>2037899
>apparently, striking > everything
It's true, though. You can't hump someone's arm or try to bdsm style anal rape someone if you get knocked out before you get close to the person, let alone on the ground.
>>
>>2038403
I don't really work hard and I'm pretty badass, I barely exercise or train

just look at roy nelson. You don't need to be very athletic to be world class.
I realize being fit looking is just for ego and asthetics. Having a fat belly is a perfectly functional fighting body and it doesn't take nearly as much effort to get
>>
>>2038216
>plus parkour if you're a coward.
Parkour is for predators. Your prey may try to run, your prey may try to run really fast, but your skill of maneuvering far surpasses theirs, and you will always be able to pounce and go in for the kill.
If you don't have Parkour, you're not a real predator, you're just full of bullshit.
You can be a lion or you can be a sheep; the choice is yours.
Learn Parkour.
>>
>>2037899
>Does any of this happens on teppu? Nope. Apparently this girl is so good that only a couple hours of training are more than enough to be a good fighter, and she either doesn't care about school, or she still have energy left to study enough to avoid troubles with her parents. Mary sue, anyone?

Because fighters never, never come from broken homes right?

Teppu glosses over the details no one cares about. We see natsuo doing deliverys. Thats enough to establish that shes doing shit on her own

Meguru would be halfway to explaining the economic structure of min wage workers on part time pay while teppu is allready on the next plot point
>>
>>2038424
>french martial art of running away
>for predators
Nice try, frog.

>
>
>
>
>[spoiler] I 100% agree [/spoiler]
>>
>>2038399
I mainly want the sex gloves. Pretty hands will distract from my ugly face.
>>
When should I use kicks ?
>>
>>2038489
Soccer.
>>
>>2037864
Correct, but in the old rules, wazari could turn into ippon. Now, you can get 12 wazari and still lose if the other guy does ippon or sub.
>>
>>2038489
all the time. Good kicking is more important than punching.
that's your one main advantage when you get into fights, you know the guy is going to swing at your head or try to tackle you
and you know he isn't going to be able to stop you from hammering his knees until he falls over
>>
>>2038416
>>2038441
I agree with these guys. Also Teppuu was filled to the brim with awesome characters like ParkDuNa, Sanae, Ringi and Yuzuko.
>>
>>2038857
I kinda wanna see teppu continue, following yuzuko like shes the villian trying t strike down eyebrows.

She works well like that. Eyebrows could be explained by her opponents as they piece things together
>>
>>2038939
I agree with wanting Teppuu to continue, of course but Mawatari Yuzuko is Eyebrows.
>>
>>2038279
All that's missing is leg grabs. Come on IJF, make Judo great again.
>>
>>2038581
>>2037864
I have mixed feelings on this. I don't mind fully eliminating yuko, but getting rid of combined wazari doesn't sit right with me. I like the notion that you can get a technical throw that lacks power, but immediately follow it up with osae komi for a combined ippon.

Maybe if they only allowed one wazari to be scored in from nage waza and one from osae komi? I don't know. I'm just trying to brain storm something.

Or maybe make all matches the same length, and award different points for wazari and ippon. The winner is whoever has the highest point count after X minutes.
>>
I am a 20 year old NEET, and would like to start either Judo or BJJ, something like that. But I don't know if I should, I do exercise a tiny bit, but I haven't done any martial arts before in my life, so I have zero experience. Anyone has any thoughts on what I should do? I have no will of my own.
>>
>>2039055
Pretty much the same here and dived straight into judo. Shit can be pretty rough on the body, especually since I went from doing very little physical activity and just went for it, but fuck if it ain't fun even with the learning curve. But really, take into consideration distance, pricing, the actual quality of coaches/way they train and if you can, try trial classes or at least observing live to see which one you'll like more. I believe in you anon.
>>
>>2039055
If you aren't going to try your best, then it is best for you to buy even try.
>>
>>2038968
Bleh. Natsuo. My bad.

Fuck what do we even call her? Female mashiba?

Its like, meguru is nice and i like how it touches on the rebuild japan thing, but from a story perspective, unfairly comparing it to ippo...its just incomplete.

You get the same feeling you get from teppu - you allready know this and have little islands of knowledge. Its not like ippo where plot points come up more like reading a boxing 101 guide
>>
>>2039055
Start with Judo while you're young.

BJJs gentler for older folk so you can branch into it later and if you've already mastered getting people on the ground it'll be twice as useful to you.
>>
>>2039272
To be honest I can't stand Ippo. The humor is kinda nice, but the manga drags for ages, the fights are won through sheer typical shonen fighting spirit and the fights aren't really that great to read. Ashita no Joe, on the other hand, is unbelievably great, but very dark.
Go ahead and re-read Teppuu. You'll see how in so few chapters the author manages to bring to life so many great characters. Hell, ParkDuNa barely gets more than a chapter and she still feels both special and credible. Wow I've re-read this manga so many times, I just can't shut up about it, sorry.
>>
>>2039062
>>2039112
>>2039281
Thanks. I'll look into Judo then, hopefully it works out.
>>
>>1939797
I don't think you know what mob mentality means
>>
>>2039055

Judo and Boxing will give you essential skills

What you do depends on what you want to get out of it
>>
>>2033480

Whatever kind of punch you can do in your specific situation and same for the kick.

Aim your punches low, maybe you wont get his throat but you'll get his jaw or chin,

If upfront or with the foot, always kick with the ball of the foot (under the fingers) or with the tip only if you have sturdy shoes.

Use knees if you're closer.
>>
>>2038416
That greenhorn thwough...
>>
>>2038489
mostly, not over your waist if you're not flexible and haven't trained hardcore for many years...
Most efficient kicks are below or just slightly over the waist : teep, low kick, knee cap kick, push-kick to the hips, kick to the groin. Those are all low risk, high reward.
Soccer kick and stomps finally.
>>
>>1929693
Anyone ever do HEMA? A place opened up near me and I was going to check it out.
>>
>>2029624
Isn't the previously mentioned asspuppet a forbidden technique?
No-one ever thinks to keep your fingers from entering their ass.
>>
>>2039981
Check the HEMA general thread on this board.
If you have any questions, me and others will be happy to answer them there.
>>
File: CHOI_DOOHO.png (150KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
CHOI_DOOHO.png
150KB, 500x325px
>>
>>2029624
My boxing coach taught me to twitch my knee inward when I'm in close so that I buckle their knee and can make my getaway
>>
>>2037057
Wrestling. It sounds like you're a <Bane meme>, and wrestling+big people is a great combo. Any grappling style except maybe JJ desu
>>
>>2037950
But muh Kenichi and Ippo
>>
Opinions on the makiwara? Is it all bullshit or is there actual benefit that can be found
>>
>>2039285
Ippo is kinda like the other side of baki. If baki is evil then ippo is good, but theure two coins of the same side of obnoxiousness

And yeah, park was cool - for someone who came in outa nowhere and has her own h Ug e backstory

But every time ypu go to a tournament youre gpnna walk over someones dream. Or youll watch your dreams get ruined.

You cant feel for your opponents. You need to beat them.

>>2041259
Do you do karate
>>
>>2041448
>do you do karate
I've done muay thai for some time and just now starting shotokan because I'm a faggot who thinks doing kata is cool.
>>
>>2041259
>>2041965
>Is it all bullshit there actual benefit that can be found
Hell no. Especially when you consider Karate's purpose as a primarily bareknuckle art and there are benefit's if you stick with it.
>>1998962
>>1998969
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makiwara
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hojo_und%C5%8D
>>
>>2042704
If minoru kun says it's effective I guess that's a sign I shouldn't do it
>>
>>2041259
Considering that the first two knuckles and the hands in general are your weapon it would be useless to have them break the first time you actually use them, using gloves makes it lose some meaning but it's like a heavy bag, you also use it to learn how to hit with more efficiency and strength
It doesn't move of course and it only offers one side to hit so there could be better tools but you can do many repetitions of a single strike with it fast
>>
>Boxing Kata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfUQkuGcpcA
>>
Hey guys, what do you think would be a better base for self defense: (not street fighting- just staying alive if I was attacked by a mugger or a crazy) Boxing or wrestling? I feel like boxing makes the most sense. Thoughts?
>>
>>2045028
boxing

the last thing you want to do in a self defense situation is going to the ground
>unless you have A+ ground game, but you still need to be able to strike
>>
>>2045157
Thanks, my friend. That's what I figured. Besides, it seems like boxing would be useful much sooner in my training, as it has less techniques. I hope to cross train some day in a standup grappling style (greco, judo) and a style with good kicks (kyokushin, kickboxing, MT) but it was this or wrestling for now
>>
File: Hirokazu Kanazawa.jpg (23KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Hirokazu Kanazawa.jpg
23KB, 450x450px
>>2042720
>implying mutou isn't always right
Good thing you can take the advice of countless Karateka and Pechin over a manga character, Like Shinyu Gushi in the pic I linked to or pic related, both of which didn't fuck around
>>
I've just taken up BJJ and with two classes done I'm loving it so far.

Anything important that I should know right from the start?

I've done a little bit of judo before (one year on and off) and I can generally stop the white belts from tapping me, but apart from that I'm a complete beginner.
>>
>>2045157
Then in that case wouldn't you want to train judo or wrestling?

Boxing doesn't have any defenses against takedowns, whereas literally the entire point of judo is to not get thrown.
>>
>>2045601
You'd want boxing and a stand up grappling art. Boxing and wrestling are probably the best because you'll be kost likely to fight shitty boxers and shotty wrestlers in a street fight. Judo would be great but you'd probably want to drill double leg defense with someone.
>>
Alright I might have to fight someone.
I have 1 inch reach advantage.
He has 3 inch height advantage.
He also has at least 70lbs on me.
He knows how to throw proper punches but can't really "box"
No footwork, no head movement.
Sounds like an easy win right?
I could just box circles around him.
Only thing is he is durable as all fuck and bullrushes throwing huge hooks.
How should I go about this?

As soon as we start he's going to rush me. He can eat punches so he's just going to walk through my jab. He doesn't care about getting hit at all.
I know I can take advantage of this somehow.
I can't just curl up and eat the storm (in a ring I would absolutely weather his storm and then lay it on him, he has no cardio whatsoever, doesn't workout at all) but it's a "home scrap" so everyone around is going to break it up and say he won if I slip a couple and shell up.

How can I keep this guy too scared to bullrush?
>>
>>2045601
>should i train a or b?
>you should train a
>"they should train c"
>>
>>2045691
By hitting him? If you're a boxer then fucking out box him. Don't jab and feel him out, move like a boxer and fucking rock him
>>
File: 1481666438748.jpg (1MB, 1366x2482px) Image search: [Google]
1481666438748.jpg
1MB, 1366x2482px
>>2045691
>Only thing is he is durable as all fuck and bullrushes throwing huge hooks.
So he's a shitty In-Fighter. Rock, Paper, Scissors. Out-Fight his ass.

>He doesn't care about getting hit at all.
That doesn't mean he won't feel the pain of punches. Crack a few ribs, bruise a few organs, he'll feel the pain, and he'll feel it good. Also, you can just knock his ass out.
>>
>>2045691
This video holds the key to victory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgoLLezD14
>>
>>2046738
Honestly it seems like people who can "tank punches" and aren't trained just haven't been punched properly.
>>
>>2045596
read a lot of beginner's guides. Believe it or not, you can get a huge jumpstart by getting an idea of what you're doing before you get better at doing it.
>>
>>2045596
To be less of blue belt bait, never touch the mat with your hands when in your opponent's guard. Never let your opponent bring your elbows past his centerline while in his guard. Either have both arms in or both arms out of his guard at the same time. There's a lot more and I'm just a shitty white belt too.
>>
>>2045601
The thing is, I don't think many muggers are gonna shoot for a double. They're gonna be armed or have friends. I'm legitimately talking about self defense. Boxing would help me with timing, distance, speed and power to keep someone away from me so I can run the fuck away. I'll train takedown defense when I have time, but it's secondary.
>>
>>2045691
He's going to take you down and beat you. If he has 70 lbs on you and you aren't a ground specialist, fucking keep him away from you and if he clinches, get out .
>>
I'm fat, 20 years old and recently started going gym with diet. I've always wanted to take up a martial art but torn what to do. I got loads of wado ryu karate clubs near me, a few amateur boxing gyms, kickboxing gyms with one being muay thai, then I got judo and BJJ. BJJ is expensive as fuck I heard though it's a Gracie Barra
>>
>>2047069
Are there any other bjj schools near you?
>>
>>2047194
Some a bit further out. Maybe an hour + of commuting.
>>
>>2047069
Do you like grappling or striking better
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.