[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time it was cool to be a wrestling fan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (139KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 766x960px
When was the last time it was cool to be a wrestling fan?
>>
>>1896824
>worrying about being cool
literally 18+ forever
>>

not even 2001, ratings and buyrates (besides WM) were already falling
>>
>>1896828
since has cool ever meant "popular"? everyone knows popular stuff is for basics
>>
>>1896824

1999 ish
>>
>>1896824
It's still cool to be a wrestling fan.

It hasn't been cool to be a WWE fan since ~2002
>>
>>
>>1896835
>outlawbabbies really believe this
No form of wrestling is accepted by the general public, much less skinny twinks in a backyard or flabby gooks kicking each other one thousand times
>>
>>1896839
You guys really do live under rocks. You meme out everything you hear here like if it was the complete truth. Well I know a lot of people at my workplace, family members, and simply random people I talk to because I work in customer service. People STILL love wrestling, only that less people. Now fuck off and go outside and perhaps make friends. God fucking damn it, can't believe I took time to type this shit.
>>
>>1896839
again, i ask you: how exactly does mainstream popularity translate to coolness? being cool is about exclusivity first and foremost

in fact, because being off the radar is the ultimate measure of coolness i'd argue that wrestling is the coolest it's ever been
>>
>>1896824
Somewhere around 2010. I know this seems awfully late in history but hear me out.

A while back I mentioned Ring of Honor to a younger friend, who was about 18 at the time. He had never heard of it. In fact, he had never watched any pro wrestling. He's not sheltered, it it had simply never entered his life as a form of entertainment.

I'm 31. Most of my friends who watched wrestling in high school kept up with it until about 2004. They may have not watched weekly or even monthly but they were still down to watch SummerSlam or Wrestlemania if you were going to pay for it. You could call them right up. They were vaguely familiar with the existences of TNA and ROH.

These guys are now old enough that the things they like are no longer cool. At best, they can be considered "dad-core" as the things that guys in their 30s like. Fighting games are another one of these, btw.

So...it was around 2010 (maybe give or take a year or two) when the new generation came around that didn't know the first thing about professional wrestling. It was no longer one of the standard "guy things" that guys would be expected to be into. It became a niche hobby.
>>
I remember looking at my brothers friends school bags and shirts (hes 15 now, im 23) they all had rey misterio shit somewhere around 2012 is when it became lame
>>
>>1896851
*tips fedora
Get fucking laid one of these days
>>
whenever Austin and the Rock left
>>
>>1896824
>>
>>
It stopped being cool to be a wrestling fan on March 14th, 1999.
>>
File: 1471242629317.gif (741KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
1471242629317.gif
741KB, 500x278px
>>1896824
>Summer of Punk

Oh, how things have ended up.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.