[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mma/: holling with hoyce edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 37

File: crazyheadandgod.jpg (77KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
crazyheadandgod.jpg
77KB, 600x412px
the thread for goofs who train

3 days minimum

mandrama pls no cancer
>>
File: hand lock into kata gurama.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hand lock into kata gurama.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>
royce gracie would choke that little faggot mcgregor out with ease. fighters are so shit and boring these days
>>
>>
>>
>>1896329
Hoyce would get his head punched in. He got beat up by Matt Hughes in 2 minutes
>>
>>1896349
matt hughes is a legend he'd beat conor the f up too
>>
Is training 3 days a week good, should I be training more than that? Also i'm new to bjj so idk if that changes things.
>>
>>1897917

/newb/ here too. I cant imagine training more than three days a week, I'm super sore the next day
>>
>>1896310
whats ya height?
>>
>>1896416
>wew lad
>>
once upon a time there was a royce gracie seminar people from my club participated in.
for his next trick! he will show us an escape from kesa that will work without fail no matter how good someones top pressure is. He asked for a volunteer to prove it, and so one of the burly judo guys from my club slapped it on him

long story short he couldn't escape and tapped

I mean I guess if you count tapping out as an escape then he's right, that will work every time
>>
>>1897917
Sounds like the perfect amount but what do I know Im thinking about competing at NAGA World Jiu Jitsu Championship with only 11 hours of mat time lol.
>>
>>1898713
my friend has had some success with essentially zero jiujitsu skills. Basically have a good coach in your corner, and be a pokemon. if you listen to step by step instructions and just keep hitting takedowns and guard passes you can rack up points without actually knowing anything
>>
>>1898753
>like a pokemon

kek never thought of fighters like that
>>
What kind of gym do I go to to work on my mic skills?
>>
>>1896325
>>1896332
>>1896343

moar pls
>>
>>1898790

SBG
>>
File: waki gatame no gi 1.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
waki gatame no gi 1.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>
File: sample.png (577KB, 1108x642px) Image search: [Google]
sample.png
577KB, 1108x642px
I got .gif that are too heavy (>4.0 mega) give me a good .gif to webm so I can upload them here.
>>
>>1899020
these all seem great, not sure how to convert tho
>>
>>1898949
this is good, i hope japan go bigger MMA talent and that rizin thrive.
>>
File: 1476642618604.gif (3MB, 240x224px) Image search: [Google]
1476642618604.gif
3MB, 240x224px
>>1902812
>>
>>1898624
>I'm super sore the next day
You're "training" your muscles too much in one session.
>>
>>1904688

I'm like 35-ish pounds overweight, so that might be the issue. I'll try and hold back next time
>>
>tfw you can't train for a week becauseyou have a cold.

>>1905923
If that's the case, and you're starting out, you should keep going at it. If you're doing 3 days a week, you have time to recover. Going at it hard like that will get your weight down and build muscle, until you become properly conditioned.
>>
What do you guys do when you're sore after class? Take a hot bath get a massage? I'm thinking of buying some Epsom salts.
>>
File: sakuraba.jpg (429KB, 1170x827px) Image search: [Google]
sakuraba.jpg
429KB, 1170x827px
is he a GOAT?
>>
>>1898685
>Instructor is with Renzo for some reason
>Oh you remember me? Yah, I was in the car when you sucker punched that guy.
>Oh hey, I got a move I came up with. I bet I can escape your closed guard in 10 seconds
>Okay let's go (flops over and rolls Renzo on top of him into mount)
>Told you I'd get out of your closed guard

My instructor is a bretty cool guy
>>
>>1908164
No, but he's bretty gud
>>
>>1906100

thanks. get well soon
>>
For the fun.
>>
File: bump test.gif (780KB, 320x181px) Image search: [Google]
bump test.gif
780KB, 320x181px
Am I doing this right?
>>
>>1896310
I couldn't this week, class was canceled Wednesday and Friday for my coach to fight in Canada on Friday.
>>
Is training muay thai once a week, BJJ twice a week enough to make progress as a beginner?
Im trying to balance lifting, >tfw gf and going to college and I don't think I could make it to training any more often than that
>>
File: 1403945004570.gif (1013KB, 245x284px) Image search: [Google]
1403945004570.gif
1013KB, 245x284px
>>1911012
Sort of... depends on your goal. Seriously, ditch lifting and train the combat sport you like one more time a week.
>>
>>1910913
how good is your coach?
>>
>>1912128
Wont I turn into a skinny faggit tho?
I used to be full skeleton mode and I dont really wanna go back there
>>
File: WP_20161029_17_25_02_Pro.jpg (356KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161029_17_25_02_Pro.jpg
356KB, 900x1600px
Muay Thai is far superior to Boxing, honestly I cant even believe it how much of a no challenge it really is.

I wish I had any sort of flexibility :( Il start from today actually.

Any tips of getting good flexibility for MT??
>>
>>1913362
Stretch every day. Sounds like a no-brainer but most people can't keep that shit up for a week.
>>
>>1913367
Yeh but there are dynamic stretches and static ones.

Dynamic (low power kick) stretches seem to help a lot.

Probably do a mix of the two..
>>
>>1913416
I'd put a disclaimer not to do static stretches before training/working out, increases injury risk
>>
>>1913285
It depends on what your focus is on. If you train for speed and have a small frame/short then you will be skinny but you will still be in much better shape than a lifter and most likely still be as powerful if not more.

You can always train for power, you still won't have as much mass but he will be lean and have decent tone/muscle size, just not the bloated look a typical body builder has.

It depends on a lot of things like genetics, diet, type of training, but you can have a fit, athletic type body by just doing the right training and you should still lift, just for power and not size. I know a pro fighter who is 6'1 and 180 lbs who looks like meatheads at the gym.
>>
>>1898685
Aren't most of the Gracies just shady douche-bags anyway? I went to a Renzo Gracies and the guys acted like it was a cult. I respect the guys skill but the shit I hear about Renzo and the others is much different from the "Dear Leader" view at the gyms
>>
>>1913494
I'm 6'3 with broad shoulders, other than that ive always been very slight of frame.
Would 1 day of lifting keep my muscle mass up?
Say if I did squats, bench and deadlift in one day
>>
>>1913537
If mass is important to you train wrestling and/or mma. Find a gym that trains pro/amateur fighters, tell them your goals and they should be able to provide you with the right training and diet.

Muay thai fighters are generally skinny, not to say there aren't big fighters but if your a fighter who trains in muay thai genetics is going to play more of a role on the size of your muscles because muay thai fighter train for efficiency,which means as little fat as possible and only put on muscle if it improves their power/speed, they don't carry around muscle if they don't use it. Of course its a little different if your very tall and have a big frame, for those body types they focus more on power because its harder to loss weight with that body type and you learn how to fight with the extra weight.

If you don't want to be a fighter or seriously compete you don't have to worry about that stuff, but the classes for muay thai conditioning focuses on endurance(anaerobic) and stamina(aerobic), you will focus on both equally but since aerobic activity by nature is longer than anaerobic you spend more time doing that and won't gain that much muscle.

You can just focus on technique and not do the conditioning or less of it and still lift and you will retain/gain muscle, but if you're looking for a martial art that builds muscle than do wrestling, and the next bet is mma, but you could run into the same issue with mma conditioning as you do in muay thai if you don't cater it to a power/grappling style
>>
>>1913505
Ugh no they are all different people and have different personality's, I train at gracie academy HQ and I've met Rener, Ryron and Rorion they are all nice and not cult like though I can't speak about the other gracie's as I haven't met them.
>>
>>1912839
He's never been in the UFC but he has a fight on Fight Pass. He's a grappling wizard, BJJ and Judo black belt, trained with the Brazilian olympic team for judo but didn't make it on.
>>
File: 1440468263903.jpg (71KB, 545x545px) Image search: [Google]
1440468263903.jpg
71KB, 545x545px
>>1913607
>mfw your cult says my BJJ isn't real BJJ because I don't train with them.
>>
>>1913607
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/my-journey-through-bjj-by-roy-harris.344665/

>After my 13th private lesson, Royler Gracie said I could wear the blue belt! I thought to myself, "No way! I get to wear the blue belt? Whoa........" .
Well, I headed off to a group class with Royce, and as soon as I walked into the main training room, Royce said to me, "Who gave you the blue belt?" I said, "Royler." Royce had a funny look on his face when I said it. He turned and walked away from me, and my stomach turned. I thought to myself, "the least he could do was congratulate me!" Oh well, I thought. Maybe Royce was in a bad mood again.

>Well, one day I was watching a video in the reception area and Craig Kukuk walked in. He asked, "Who said you could watch that video?" I told him, "Rorion said I could." He asked, "Where did you get the video?" I said, "From Rorion's office? Rorion told me I could go into his office and get a video to watch while I was waiting." Craig snatched the video out of the VCR and told me to never go into Rorion's office again. He said, "Rorion would not want you to watch this video." I asked "Why?" He said, "Because of what is on the tape. You can watch 'Gracie Jiu Jitsu in Action Part One', but that's it. All the other tapes are off limits to you!"

> every now and then he would close the door to the training room, look out the window down the hall towards Rorion's office and say: "Don't tell Rorion I showed this to you, and don't do this when Rorion is around. Royce would then proceed to show us some really interesting stuff."
>>
>>1913783
>My training at the Gracie Academy continued until August of 1992. At that time, an article had been written about me in the San Diego Union and Tribune newspaper. This article caused Rorion to re-evaluate my training there. Rorion told me that it was not fair that I make money off of him by teaching Jiu Jitsu. He said I would now have to pay him $100 per class if I was going to continue training at the Academy. I told Rorion the following:

>"I told you (Rorion) about the self-defense class I taught at the University on several occasions. I even asked you if it was all right if I taught the students a few Gracie Jiu Jitsu techniques. You said it was OK as long as I didn't wear a Gracie Jiu Jitsu shirt while teaching."

"I also told you (Rorion) that I make $60 a month teaching my self-defense, and that I would give you $30 of it because you were my instructor."

I also said, "Rorion, I am paying $240 a month to train with you and your brothers (not to mention the driving time, the gas and the headache of dealing with LA traffic). I have done all of this for almost two years now. Doesn't that show you the kind of loyalty I have for you and your brothers?"

>To this Rorion replied, "I am sorry my friend. But this is my final offer." I said, "Rorion, paying $100 per class would mean I would be paying $1400 a month to continue my training with you. I don't have that kind of money." He said, "I am sorry."
>>
>>1913787
>Over the next year, I trained with the likes of Rickson Gracie, the Machado brothers and Nelson Monteiro. However, as I trained with each of the above mention instructor, certain issues came up and I was politely told that I was not welcome to train with them any more.

>That's when I found Joe Moreira. Later on in my training, I began to hear rumors. Rumors that I was doing drugs. Rumors that I was a greedy person who was only in it for the money. Rumors that I was not a good student because I did not pay attention in class. Rumors that I didn't pay my dues

>I remember teaching a seminar in Washington, D.C. several years ago and a person walked up to me and introduced himself (Let's call him "Alex"). Alex told me that he had been called by this certain Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor. This certain BJJ instructor told him that I was not qualified to teach what I was teaching. This same BJJ instructor said he wanted Alex to spy on me and listen to anything I said that might be falsified, exaggerated or untrue, and report back to him.

>Here's another one for you: I remember a certain seminar host asking me if I did drugs. I told him that I do not do drugs and have never done them. To this he replied, "Well, I've heard different."
>>
>>1913783
>>1913787
Somebody really needs to compare the practices of cults compared to BJJ
>>
>>1913800
>I remember talking to a seminar host about the lack of attendance at his seminar. He told me that he had heard through the grapevine that people did not want to attend my seminar because:

A. They trained only "pure Helio Gracie Jiu Jitsu."
B. Many had heard that I was not that good of an instructor.
C. I should not be teaching a seminar in this part of the country because only instructor "so and so" teaches here.

>After a year of this, I grew weary of the politics of Jiu Jitsu. However, I was fortunate to find Professor Joe Moreira in Newport Beach in the spring of 1993. He ran me through the hoops because he too had heard bad things about me. As a matter of fact, he called me in to his office to talk to me about what happened between the Gracie's, the Machado's, Nelson Monteiro and I.

>He told me what the Gracie's, the Machado's and Nelson Monteiro had told him, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked him if I could continue training with him and he said "yes." A month later, he called me into his office again to chat with me about my problems with the other guys. We talked about everything. I laid my heart out on the table. I figured, "if this guy kicks me out, I'm through with Jiu Jitsu. I don't care how effective it is." Fortunately for me, Joe was very understanding and helpful. He told me that I was now a member of his team and what had happened in the past was water under the bridge.
>>
>>1913787
Dude this has nothing to do with me i'm just a student I wasn't even alive in 1992.
>>
>>1913880
I'm trying to save you from a cult, I don't want them to do to you what they did to Roy
>>
>>1913893
Is that the dude in the story? It's fine dude I'm just a hobbyist.
>>
>>1913807
see, but the common denominator is this guy kept getting kicked out of schools. So he can try to play the victim all he wants but I'm not buying it.
>>
>>1913574
Thanks man, unfortunately wrestling is pretty much non-existant where I live, I'll keep focusing on muay thai and BJJ and just try to lift when I can
>>
>>1913787
what a douchebag
>>
>>1914062
Most of the time he got kicked out was due to rumors started by the Gracies. The other times were when he explained to the teachers he was training with other people and they would not allow him to continue training at their school. Back then it was basically forbidden to train at more than one school, and a lot of schools still have that mentality to this day. Its really outdated, especially if you are training mma
>>
>>1914384
Stop being a faggot and train more than 3 times a week. One mt and 2 bjj wont allow you to make any progress. If your only excuses are classes and going on dates then you have no reason to not be hitting those night classes more.
>>
>>1913783
>blue belt after 13 lessons

Sheeiiittt....
>>
>>1915441
So ditch lifting is what youre saying? I could do muay thai twice a week and jiu jitsu 3 maybe 4 times a week if I did tbf, is it worth being a skeletron?
>>
>>1915448
How long have you been practicing both of them? Are you new to either MA?
>>
>>1915448
Honestly what kind of lifting are you doing?

How good are your calisthenics? Can you do pullups?

You might want to add more calisthenics to your lifting routine, you can still build muscle if you do the right variations (i.e. pistol squat) and it will help condition your ligaments, which will make you more agile, less injury prone, and more flexible.
>>
>>1915448
Im new to both, BJJ for about 7 months, Muay Thai about 3 weeks.
>>1915472
I can do about 7 pull ups, I take it calisthenics would be easier on recovery?
What about kettlebells? Anyone know anything about those
>>
>>1915515
Kettleballs are really good if you can do them with proper form and don't overtrain. I'd suggest increasing the amount of pullups you can do, the muscles used in pull ups are very important and is a decent indicator of real strength/conditioning
>>
>>1915530
Would you be able to give me a sample workout plan? Or recommend me to one? I was just following /fit/s version of greyskull lp before
>>
File: Kajukenbo Punch Counter 1 .gif (3MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Kajukenbo Punch Counter 1 .gif
3MB, 360x202px
>evade / upward block
>grab groin and pull
>uppercut to chin
>front snap kick to groin
Genius!
>>
bumperoni and cheese.
>>
>>1915981
Is that Great Grand Master Gaylord?
>>
Daily reminder that the secret to beating the Gracies is being a heavy smoker and alcoholic
>>
>>1913607
I've heard good things about Rener, but that whole lineage part of bjj made me study judo. I regularly roll in a Gracie open mat, because several of my friends train there, and they constantly try to recruit me, but the cult mentality is just not for me.

Kano's idea that what you do on the mat is what matters, not your lineage is more my style. Kano was down right progressive back in the 1800s when he made all the castes wear the same uniform on the mat, because fuck who you know or who you came from.
>>
>>1915981
Remember kids, in a real violent encounter your attacker is just going to eave his arm out after a punch so you can do our patented groin grab punch combo
>>
>>1921410
Actually, most violent encounters involve untrained opponents, most of whom have bad punching technique that is also slow and very telegraphed.
It's really just too easy for someone who likes to do counters.

That specific Kajukenbo punch counter, however, is still up for debate.
>>
>Man drama
Lol, your daughter just love it men.
>>
>>1896329
Royce's Jiu-jitsu is actually pretty shit. I mean, the minute people began to learn the slightest bit of jiu-jitsu he could no longer do anything. He never did well in Jiu-jitsu competitions either. Royler and Renzo are legit badasses though. Royce out-grappled strikers, Royler and Renzo out-grappled actual grapplers. Royce is kind of the black sheep of the family, I think Conor might be able to beat him in a straight up jiu-jitsu match.
>>
>>1898685
I now a blue belt who almost beat Royce when he was a white belt. Royce took his back and choked though.
>>
>>1913783
>>1913787
>>1913800
>>1913807
>friendly reminder that Rickson lied about having had over 400 fights
>friendly reminder that Rickson actually claimed he fought a bear
>>
>>1922950
Shit *know
>>
File: 1473538460207.png (148KB, 645x772px) Image search: [Google]
1473538460207.png
148KB, 645x772px
>tfw depressed
>tfw senior year at uni
>tfw almost 8 months left at uni
>come home from classes
>spend all day at home because no friends
>tfw try a free week of MMA
>tfw everyone is friendly and social
>tfw coach is very nice and amazing
>tfw feel better after exhausting myself
>tfw free week is over
>tfw its $100 dollars a month
>ask parents and tell them I really like it there because it makes me feel better and I really want to join
>tfw parents say I should get normal hobbies and tell me to fuck off
>tfw trying to find a job to pay for it myself

Fortunately they offer free BJJ classes sunday nights for students at the uni, but I wish I could do more. Better than nothing I suppose.
>>
>>1922991
Your parents sound like dicks
>>
>>1896325
Why do BJJ gis look like NASCARs when it comes to decals and logos?
>>
>>1922961
I was under the impression that the gracies developed a jitsu just for bear encounters

https://youtu.be/IOT6PkRjT_Q
>>
File: flair.jpg (142KB, 758x688px) Image search: [Google]
flair.jpg
142KB, 758x688px
>>1923020
>>
>>1923009
Well they are. Since I was a kid they call me a dissapointment constantly, never let me make my own decisions, compare me to other kids, lie, and verbally and physically abused me. Just enduring until I graduate and land my first legitimate job and then I'm moving out. They still think I'm being an engineer and living with them after I graduate; thats the only reason they are paying for my college.

Anyway, they said they didn't want to pay for my membership because they were low on money but had no problem going on a $9000 vacation for just the two of them. Then they continued to laugh and make fun of me over the phone. Man I fucking hate them.

I even offered to let them pay for the first month or two and I'd get a job to pay off the rest and return them the money they spent but they said I should have normal hobbies and continued to insult me.
>>
>>1923046
Can't you just get a job as a bus boy or something?
>>
>>1923243
Well I'm looking. I'll take anything honestly. Even agreed to participate in research studies to make some side cash
>>
>>1923020
Its to attract niggers and chads who like huge brand logos. I hate big logos on my gis and will try to find one that doesnt have them and look more like a judogi which always have small logos
>>
>>1923046
Fuck them. I hope you find a good job and manage to pay for that homie.
>>
>>1923951
Thanks, I'm hoping to land a job in law enforcement. Shouldn't be too hard since I landed an internship with the local PD
>>
>>1923380
You can get a gi with absolutely zero logos, patches or tags if you get a 93 brand standard issue.
>>
>>1923046
what a bunch of assholes. good luck on the job search
>>
Alright /asp/ I have my first amateur boxing match in about 2 months and I'm horribly out of shape. The skill is there but I've been really bad with cardio. What's the best way to get some lungs and be fight ready in about six weeks?
>>
>>1926398
Just get stuck in with HIIT. There's no easier way around it.
>>
File: 1476642941908.gif (2MB, 304x171px) Image search: [Google]
1476642941908.gif
2MB, 304x171px
>>1923046
Man up and pay for your mma/bjj yourself. If you need a part time job, do it. A pussy in the mix would be nice, but the pussy ain't cheap if you want to get quality (not money, but time invested).
Eat train work and sleep. Socialize with those who like the same things than you do.
>>
>>1923046
Do Judo until you get money. Judo is cheap as fuck
>>
File: uppercut black cobra valentine.gif (3MB, 402x317px) Image search: [Google]
uppercut black cobra valentine.gif
3MB, 402x317px
>>1926398
Hill sprints.
>>
>>1926398
Swimming do laps in the pool a lot of them.
>>
>>1926644
Really? I can see how that would help me lose weight but I never hear any of the people at my gym say they do it
>>
>>1926855
Yeah dude doing that is cardio just make sure when you are tired to keep swimming and not rest because you will not get a rest during your fight.
>>
Bumperoo before i go to sleep.
>>
>>1921161
Kano was a pretty cool dude and he'd probably be miffed about a some of the changes judo has gone through, and at the ijf.
>>
Bamp
>>
>>1923243
>>1923951
>>1925141
>>1926475
>>1926487
I got a job interview guys!
>>
File: those hips.webm (352KB, 531x400px) Image search: [Google]
those hips.webm
352KB, 531x400px
>>1932506
This is what it is to be a man. Even if you have to face adversity to overcome and reach your goals.
Short term reward for you.
>>
>>1932793
>This is what it is to be a man.

A real man is one who is knowledgeable, intelligent, and acts so.

A real man is not self indulgent, impulsive, and stimulation seeking.

A real man can plan and reason, a real man can be efficient.
>>
File: superman punch ko.gif (1MB, 424x237px) Image search: [Google]
superman punch ko.gif
1MB, 424x237px
>>1932798
Blah blah blah... You're not wrong, but it sound like a poem from a 5th grader. The last of the fool can be more of a man than the best among the men you know if life decide to go easy mode with him. The best among us won't be enough of a man if life decides to bitch him to oblivion. We'll all acknowledge the second as a man among men praising his resillience, courage, willpower, sharp and visionary mind, self control and magnanimity but the first one will enjoy life better than any of us can imagine. link related.
TL;DR, life is a bitch and it all depends on how you can suck it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eGZF1-gDUE
Some .gif to lighten the mood.
>>
>>1932506
well that was quick, good luck friend
>>
>>1932506
Congrats my dude just try to act like a normie during the interview and show that you actually have interest in doing the job.
>>
>>1902905
This was so fucking satisfying. Fuck. I need to box more.
>>
>>1932793
>>1933341
>>1933466
Yeah I got the job! The manager said he liked me and wasn't going to bother asking me so many questions because I looked more than reliable for the job since I came dressed, early, and cleaned up my face over a cashier position.

It was pretty informal but I can tell I'll have a good time there AND SOON doing MMA! I also decided to pursue a girl! Luck really turns around in a few days.
>>
>>1915441
bjj 2x a week consistently is fine for progression. granted it is slow but you will definitely get better. most people cant do 5x or more consistently for years
>>
Is savate any good? Some of their practitioners have been talking shit to me about boxing and MT(my main sports) but I really dislike arguing about martial arts with people. Is it a shoe being better than a shin or is it actually a superior stand up martial art
>>
>>1934033
It's not superior, but it's in the top tier of striking, like boxing and MT. Don't bother get into pissing matches, but if you have an opportunity to take Savate, I'd take it, because they have a bunch of tricks most kickboxers don't have.
>>
bumparoo
>>
>>1934033
Like most combat sport it depends at 99% on the teacher.
>>1933989
Congrats! Now find a good balance between what you have to do and what you like to do. No matter what do it 100%. Don't forget not to do what doesn't bring you closer to your goals than you were the day before.
>>
File: 1476996305863.jpg (436KB, 1002x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476996305863.jpg
436KB, 1002x800px
Bump
>>
>>1937609
/pol/tard delusion
>>
File: eddie-006.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
eddie-006.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
Reminder that you need to apologize in a few hours
>>
>>1938058
I hope he erase mc g in less than a round.
>>
>>1937643
>SEETHING
>>
/fit/ believes 1/2/3/4 is the goal for lifting alone.

What would the goal be for a fighter? .5/1/1.5/2?
>>
>>1938852
Side question, did any of you guys lift before getting into MMA?

What is your routine?
>>
>>1938874
don't lift, work core / MMA workouts.
Lifting will build big, but slow twitchy muscle.
>>
File: 1395851976847.jpg (29KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1395851976847.jpg
29KB, 1280x720px
>>1939138
2/10 provoked a reply.

>>1938874
Most guys will have to some extent. Truth of the matter is you don't need to.

Now obviously the strongest version of yourself is going to be the best wrestler version of yourself you can be but it's not about strength and alot of the time it's actually about abusing your opponents strength.

Get started with MMA because wrestling will teach your more about lifting weights than vice versa. With the exception of maybe squats and deadlifts since a good sprawl should feel the same.
>>
>>1939139
>>1939138
Sorry Dr. Faggot.
>>
File: XbsMMJU.jpg (81KB, 547x465px) Image search: [Google]
XbsMMJU.jpg
81KB, 547x465px
>>1939138
What about claims of people like GSP and Jon Jones lifting heavy? I always figured fighters couldn't lift a lot but they have claimed to lift heavy could it be >roids?

>>1939139
I'm thinking about doing Greyskull while doing MMA then switching to plyometric stuff when cutting.
>>
>>1939976
gsp and jon are roiders m8
>>
>>1938852
I can already lift more than that, but it takes it out of me recovery-wise. Should I lower the weight and up the volume?
>>
bumparoo
>>
>>1941621
1 rep max?
>>
>>1943726
Never tested 1rm, all thess are for sets of 5:
Squat - 100kg
Deadlift - 130kg
Bench - 75kg
I OHP with kettlebells due to a shoulder issue but I use 2 24kgs for about 8 reps.

I feel like I could continue increasing these weights but after a lifting session im left sore and kinda drained for a day or two after and it really affects my MA training
>>
>>1943827
My stats are currently
135 Pound Squat
155 Pound Bench
215 Pounds Deadlift

I just started lifting seriously and am really hoping to change this.
>>
>>1944369
I'd say set yourself a goal weight to reach, tone back whatever martial arts youre doing until you reach that goal, ans then go back to primarily training MA and just maintain those weights
>>
>>1944369
>benching more than you squat
Why Gobbles, why?

I've had boxers tell me that bench is actually bad for punching, but I'm not sure if that's true. They claim it decreases your speed without increasing your power.

It never seemed like it helped my grappling either. I personally like cleans over deadlifts, it seems like it would be better for double leg explosiveness.
>>
>>1897917
>>1898624

jesus christ why are jiu jitsu fags such shit athletes

you couldn't do fuckol in any other sport training only 3 days a week
>>
File: based.gif (492KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
based.gif
492KB, 500x285px
5'5 midget here is MMA worth learning?
>>
>>1944672
I like dips and explosive push ups rather than bench, I never really felt like I was benefiting from it either
>>
>>1944695
I think many jiu jitsu guys have have never played any other sports before so theyre not used to the workload, most eventually get used to the grind and put more hours in.
>>
>>1944672
Punching power comes from the legs.
>>
>>1944695
>implying im an athlete
lmao @ ur life bub
>>
>>1944703
Yes! Flyweight!
>>
I got my first ever pair of shinguards and now I can't even fit them into my backpack alongside my other equipment. Could I bend the foot protector of the pad to allow more space or will it mess it up?

I don't have a car and I commute to training via cycling, I'm strongly considering getting a new bag to fit all my stuff in. Anyone have any good recommendations?
>>
>>1945447
Do you even need to ask this question? Buy a bigger bag lmao a proper sports bag or just a bigger backpack
>>
>>1945447
>>1945706
This, you can always get a bigger bag
>>
>>1944695
Ugh I don't even compete i'm a hobbyist I do this for fun.
>>
>>1945768
Just because you don't compete doesn't mean you shouldn't be training more than three days a week. Do you only train during classes?
>>
What weaknesses would I have with a muay thai and bjj combination. I already have a background in boxing, would wrestling be a better grappling art?
>>
>>1945782
Yes I'm kinda busy though I want to make a place to train in my garage though.
>>
>>1946310
Maybe some judo for your standup
>>
>>1946395
Aim for 6 days a week, even if you're just stretching or doing push ups, sit ups, or free weights for 10 minutes.
>>
>>1944672
>Why Gobbles, why?
Shit form. I always lean too far forward or too far back on the squat, and then I'm lifting with my fucking neck.

Or I lean to far back and it falls off my shoulders.

>I personally like cleans over deadlifts, it seems like it would be better for double leg explosiveness.
Deadlift has definitely helped me the most. It's helped strengthen my back and posture. Passing guard is when I notice it the most. I used to be very easy to break down in other people's guard, and found it nearly impossible to lift my head if someone had their hand on my collar.

Bench, I don't think has helped much with my punches, other then the shoulder strength. I do feel like I have a lot more power in my short punches though, though that's probably just from added weight.

The big place I feel it in my grappling is the slow, steady, constant pressure, especially when I have someone on me, but also holding someone else down. Before, I would frequently stop resisting with my arms from side control and just try flippy, flexibility shit (people get used to triangle chokes from side control real quick). Now I can at least keep upwards resistance 'always on'.

>>1944735
This. Also, the volume of techniques and the profound impact it has on your performance also plays a role. There's plenty of shit athletes who will tap me out because I still haven't learned to deal with open guard strategies, x-guard etc. and it's easy to coast off of that, and also to just always focus on the next technique.
>>
>>1946411
Will do m8
>>
>>1945706
Yea it turns out I can fit it in my backpack now but it's just a little bit tight. I was looking at the Fairtex Bag4 and it looks so small but apparently it can fit a shit ton of stuff like 4 pairs of gloves and thai pads at that.
>>
>>1932506
Grats dude
>>
>>1946310
A weakness of Muay Thai is their lack of kicking ability. They just do their specific forms of front kicks and roundhouse kicks well. If they do any other kicks, they don't do them that good, generally speaking. Their punching could also use work. Their knee variety isn't so bad.
>>
>>1948035
Is there a "better" stand up art then? I'm open to suggestions
>>
>>1948084
It really depends on how you define "Muay Thai." A lot of modern practitioners and trainers of "Muay Thai" are actually practicing some hybrid combination of Muay Thai, Boxing, Karate, and general Kickboxing. General Kickboxing could include Taekwondo, Savate, Dutch Kickboxing, and Sanda, just to name a few.
>>
File: 42345468.jpg (80KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
42345468.jpg
80KB, 500x333px
>>1898937
>>
question to grapplers:

sometimes chokes make me feel like there's a load of blood in my face and my eyes sting which sucks but if it came down to it i wouldn't need to tap
sometimes chokes make me go to sleep, obviously these are the better ones

does anyone else get this and does anyone know why it happens, and how to make your chokes have the second effect instead of the first
>>
>>1949037
This

Most gyms advertise to the lowest common denominator. Muay thai advertises much better than kung fu and tkd, bjj advertises better than sambo and catch.

>>1949144
There's a difference between chokes and strangles. Chokes cut of air supply and it can take tens of seconds to even minutes to stop oxygen from going to the brain. Strangles cut off the blood supply and takes second or can even be instant to stop oxygen to the brain.
>>
>>1949170
yeah but my dude, im pretty sure both of those symptoms happen to me when im being strangled and not choked because i can still breathe fine during both.
>>
File: anatomy-of-the-neck.jpg (39KB, 432x408px) Image search: [Google]
anatomy-of-the-neck.jpg
39KB, 432x408px
>>1949197
>>1949144
It depends on the vessels that are being hit by the choke:
Arteries, you go to sleep, caus no more fresh oxygen through blood to your brain.
Veins you feel like your head is going to explode, cause more blood goes in than goes out and pressure mounts in your head.
>>
>>1949224
hmm yes. i wonder if there is a way to target arteries over veins.
>>
File: vlcsnap_2012_01_25_05h04m26s80.png (500KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap_2012_01_25_05h04m26s80.png
500KB, 640x480px
>>1949170
> Northern Dragon
>>
>>1949235
You can't "target" them, it is depends on how the mata leão is done, if it's deep , if the shoulder is close to the neck, if you squeeze more with the biceps, ... too many variables on your side and on the receving side, if the neck is tight, chin in or not... and so one
>>
>>1949224
>>1949144
Is this why Gi chokes feel so much sneakier than no-Gi chokes?
>>
>>1944703
Most flyweights are close to that height and some dudes like Dodson are even shorter so if you can make flyweight youll be good
>>
>>1944703
Yes, they have weight classes for a reason. MMA is the ideal sport for Manlet rage.
>>
Hi /mma/

whats the best martial art for getting fit like a beast and looking good?

theres loads of boxing gyms near me and only one MMA. A few others things dunno what you guys recommend
>>
File: jumping elbow.gif (4MB, 423x322px) Image search: [Google]
jumping elbow.gif
4MB, 423x322px
>>1951473
>Off-season.
There is no off-season in bjj.
Plus if you wonder why there is almost no adult in wrestling compared to the teenagers, it's is simple: it is too rough on the body.
Under 25 you can do all this shit. after, your body will break.
>>1953670
Depends on how much you're willing to commit to train and conditioning.
>>
File: Flow_Chart.png (2MB, 1024x4521px) Image search: [Google]
Flow_Chart.png
2MB, 1024x4521px
>>1953670
If you want the Brad Pitt in fight club look, then boxing. If you want more mass then do lifting and judo.
>>
File: conor.jpg (105KB, 1200x809px) Image search: [Google]
conor.jpg
105KB, 1200x809px
>>1913362
>Muay Thai is far superior to Boxing

We've been through the whole style vs style thing before, it's stupid and no striking art is complete on it's own. Emphasis on angles, timing, and movement in high level boxing/kick boxing based strikers is without a doubt effective and choice for high level strikers like Mcgregor, Cruz, or Dillashaw. Boxing at least offensively is godly, your hands are your most accurate weapons and boxing range is where you can do the most damage. Where boxing as a stand alone art falls apart is it's defense since the sport doesn't have to take so many threats into consideration. But don't go looking at Muay Thai's stationary stance, kick heavy, high kick focused guard, shit hand striking, and tendency to absorb instead of avoid and say it's the king of whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbd2wgC3QyI
>>
>>1953670
Ugh martial arts aren't for getting ripped you're looking for a gym.
>>
>>1951240
Remember that any no-gi choke can technically be done in a gi environment, then add to that the number of chokes a gi allows, and the sheer number of potential chokes to keep in mind while defending against them makes it more likely to miss one.

Also, grips that appear innocent can be half a choke. Slap the second hand in place and it's a full on choke seemingly coming out of nowhere.

>>1950886
I concur - it's possible, because, as you mention, the variables are known. Good set-ups and proper execution allow you to eliminate them and land a clean blood choke. Simply put, any properly executed strangle that targets the side of the neck will cut off the arteries, whereas variations that target the adam's apple/throat from the front are more likely to submit through pain or pressure buildup.
>>
>>1954915
Yeah, I just mean that no-gi chokes tend to make me feel like my eyes are about to expode, etc. There's a painful 'burst'.

But strictly gi chokes, they all really feel like going to sleep. It's very tricky resisting them sometimes because I really will start passing out without feeling anything unpleasant.
>>
>>1955640
You're one of those few people that don't experience the narrowing field of vision thing?
>>
>>1954841
>it's stupid and no striking art is complete on it's own.
But Boxing is a specialized art, and lacks the diversification that Muay Thai has to let it work well and a majority of the time in a more open (realistic) ruleset.
>>
>>1958851
For Gi Chokes? Only if they're shitty and being muscled. Is this unusual?
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 400x252px)
giphy.gif
2MB, 400x252px
If Takekwondo is Foot Fencing, then is Muay Thai Roundhouse Kick Dueling?
>>
>>1959415
Muay Thai is what Wing Chun pretends to be. Stand there and meet strikes with simultaneous strikes.
>>
I've been boxing for quite some time now at an amateur level, but last sparing session I made the other guy bleed out of his and during the second round I took a monster nut shot. I was more freaked out by the ear bleeding and I've decided to become a grappler.
http://www.budoryu.com/contortion_jiu_jitsu.html
This website sounds like they have a good program and I like that it's no gi, but I'm incredibly ignorant when it comes to wrestling and I was hoping someone could tell me if this is bullshit or not.
>>
>>1959393
>more open (realistic) ruleset
Muay Thai does better not because the ruleset's more realistic but because it has the advantage in being practiced under a ruleset similar to the one it's competing in for longer.
>>
File: yukari.png (218KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
yukari.png
218KB, 500x500px
>>1959393
>style vs style fag

Sanshou is far superior to Muay Thai, honestly I cant even believe it how much of a no challenge it really is.

>leg takedowns
>knees and elbows
>focus on good boxing over kicks
a lot like MMA striking with a more open (realistic) ruleset.

Why bother learning a complex clinch if a Sanshou kickboxers are just going to double leg your easy to take down Thai stance? Why bother learning to defend roundhouse kicks with guards that leave you open down the middle? MMA clinch is more wrestling based anyway, and fighters always push it to the fence so that you can just break your opponent's stance instead of trying to constantly off balance them.

Why bother learning any specialized art in fact, they lack the diversification that MMA has. It's a no contest really. Don't waste time with stupid inferior Muay Thai, It's clinch isn't even that useful you can get reversed on the fence if you try to strike and can't maintain control and you can do more damage on the ground from mount anyway.
>>
>>1962144
tldr: see if they have a trial, and if they do, get on the mat and roll in a couple of classes. If it is an environment that you like and you are learning, then you don't need to give a fuck about what someone on the internet thinks

however, as someone that has trained both bjj and judo for years, I wouldn't even bother setting foot in the place. Most places that teach krav maga are mcdojo as fuck, and this place has all the indicators that it is a mcdojo. Ignoring the krav maga part, and concentrating on the jj part, the head instructor looks suspect as fuck.

I mean, why the fuck does Jeremy need to tell us that he drives a porche? Does that help me learn jitz? Also, what are his belts and certifications? No where to be found.
It says that he has trained in a bunch of jitsu places, including places in brazil, and he name-drops the fuck out of them. However, the same can be said of anyone that goes on vacation and drops in on an open mat at these places. I know that I drop in for a class wherever I go traveling, but I wouldn't put that on my bio unless I didn't have any other qualifications.

Speaking of qualifications, on the places that he trained at, did any of them give him a belt? How about the organizations he competed under, does he have any certs from them? Is he a certified ref with ibjjf, or any of the mma orgs he name drops?

No belts, no national organization certifications or affiliations, the head jitz instructor 'made up his own martial art. Sounds mcdojo as fuck to me.
>We incorporate Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling, Dirty Boxing, and other mixed martial arts (MMA) disciplines.
Seriously, when an instructor has to make up their own martial art and teach at a krav maga school, it is generally because no legit bjj instructor takes them seriously.

All that said, it may be the most awesome dojo in awesome town. If they have a trial period, it is worth checking out.
>>
>>1962641
Thanks for the informative reply, can I ask your opinion on bjj vs wrestling? I don't know anything about grappling but the fact that a lot of stuff relies on the gi turns me off, doesn't seem applicable in the real world
>>
>>1959395
A guy who trained with it sometimes genuinely didn't feel blood chokes coming it all. He'd get stuck in a triangle, and continue trying to escape until he passed out because he felt nothing. That's more the kind of thing I was referring to.

>>1963107
Not him, but unless we're talking crazy sport BJJ, most things are possible without a gi as well. Just don't become another guard jumper and work on your takedowns, and 'real life' shouldn't be a concern. That said, if at all possible, I'd combine BJJ and wrestling to develop a more rounded game. I crosstrain in Judo and BJJ, and they complement each other nicely.
>>
>>1963107
Am him, if you are in college or high school and would also like to bulk and lift, then go for the wrestling.
Else, go with bjj. If you think everything relies on the gi, then either you don't know enough, or your instructor is shit. My experience is that the gi is a fantastic learning tool, and once you get the methodology down, applying techniques to no gi is downright simple.
>>
MMA is a meme.
>>
>>1954915
>Remember that any no-gi choke can technically be done in a gi environment

Ehhh... Guillotines?
>>
>>1896416
Wew
>>
>>1965458
Hence
>technically

..and they still work just fine with a gi, it's just a lot easier to stuff them because of the increased friction.
>>
>>1963177
>A guy who trained with it sometimes genuinely didn't feel blood chokes coming it all. He'd get stuck in a triangle, and continue trying to escape until he passed out because he felt nothing. That's more the kind of thing I was referring to.
That could absolutely happen to me. I have to rely on conscious knowledge of details (his hip placement, my arm placement) to know when to tap otherwise I'll do that every time. Yesterday, I passed out during the drilling of a choke.
>>
>>1965738
You're one of them weird ones, Goblin. But that's okay, I still like you.

I do wonder what the physiological causes of this are, I'll have to ask one of my medical friends.
>>
File: alliance armbar nogi variation.gif (4MB, 480x439px) Image search: [Google]
alliance armbar nogi variation.gif
4MB, 480x439px
>>1965458
They're even easier with a gi since you only need one arm to pull the move. They're one of the biggest noob catchers, stating standing or on the knee.
.gif is some fun no gi move though.
>>
What does it really mean when you get your first stripe as a white belt?
>>
I live near a dojo run by John hackleman, Chuck liddell trained their back in the day, but all my boxing and muay thai friends say it's bullshit, does anyone have any knowledge about its legitimacy or ate my friends just jelly
https://thepitmma.com
>>
>>1968074
If we're talking BJJ, you're slightly less spazzy now, and you only run into the most obvious submission set-ups 75% of the time. You still, however, fail to tuck your elbows without even realizing it, and en up getting caught in sticky situations all the time as a result.

Banter aside, don't pay too much attention to stripes desu. They're essentially no more than a simple motivator.
>>
>>1969910
Thanks senpai
>>
File: tumblr_ogft5nQPNh1tfrx5ho2_400.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogft5nQPNh1tfrx5ho2_400.gif
1MB, 360x202px
>>1896310
I haven't been training regularly for years. I just got laid off from work: where can I go in the United States to train 40-60 hours per week? Judo preferred, BJJ/sambo/wrestling/MMA acceptable.
Thread posts: 202
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.