[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ Martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 45

File: giphy[1].gif (1MB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
1MB, 500x304px
Martial Arts General

Previous thread:
>>>1852838

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
More to come
>>
File: image.png (210KB, 400x340px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
210KB, 400x340px
>>
File: I have a question.png (261KB, 803x790px) Image search: [Google]
I have a question.png
261KB, 803x790px
I search something usefull to do, i don't want forms (i'm not a dancer) nor competitions. I'm more into "self defense".
The best i found are Systema, Krav Maga, Penchak Silat.
Are there other martial arts likes these ? Wich one should i go for ?
>>
>>1893700
Ok that's a popular misconception and it can stem from two primary concerns.

1.You don't want to dedicate yourself to something for years and you want a learn to fight in 6 months or less quick course (like Lady's self defense classes).

These are false confidence classes that are at best better than nothing and at worst give people the confidence to get themselves killed.

2. You're only interested in straight up fighting for fightings sake and want the most no nonsense and aggressive class possible.

For the second you'll want to start with boxing or kickboxing and do wrestling or Judo too.

At the end of the day you're only limited by what's in your area so research that and come back to use with what you've got. If the selection you mentioned run classes in your area. I would do Systema of that lot. Even though I have practiced Silat myself.

If I was starting martial arts right now I'm probably do Ju Jitsu.
>>
>>1893709
Jujutsu is just a better art for self defense. You're going to the ground or going to get snatched up in any altercation, knowing how you get out of that and apply pressure with locks and throws is so important. Plus you can spar without much injury.
>>
>>1893721
Absolutely. I didn't do Silat for long and only really go anything of value from it because I already had a really good grounding.
>>
>>1893700
>Systema

Systema is literally vodka magic. The supposed history of Systema is that the Russian Empire had super martial arts techniques they learned from beating everybody.

Then the communists came and destroyed all the evidence this ever happened, everywhere. But they kept a super secret military unit of Systema masters for super secret missions! And now with the glorious advent of capitalism, we are now free to charge you for these ancient secrets.

Actual Soviet Military Units used Combat Sambo, which surprise, looks exactly like a mix of Judo, Wrestling, and Kickboxing, which is what you want for actual self-defense.
>>
>>1893700
Is that the entire list of available classes on your area? Is kind of weird. I mean, how's that there's a place to train silat and systema, but there's not a (kick)boxing place? Or jiu jutsu?

I think either are much more popular than any of those sports, and for street fighting are as good, or even better.

>>1893721
Not really. If a fight drags for long enough, yeah, eventually someone will get a grip on the other and both will go down to the ground, and shit. However, more often than not, with the proper training a fight can be finished with one or two strikes who can submit the opponent before shit goes down.

You have to remember not all the people train anything at all, not even some MA, but any sport, so they aren't accustomed to taking hits to the face, being smashed into the concrete or get their limbs twisted around. Adrenaline can be a bitch, but it can't overcome a concussion and the pain receptors can switch from using it to fight into flight.

In other words, for street fighting and self defence, learning (kick)boxing can be more than enough as the first hit on the face or hook to the liver can stop the other guy on his tracks because he wasn't ready to take it. And the grand advantage over some other arts, which more people seem to ignore in these threads, is that striking from a standing position allows to turn around and run away if shit hits the fan. By example, if some friend of the other guy pops in to check what's going on.

>Oh, shit, is the police!
>>
>>1893734
Non, there is Karate, taekwondo, Judo, Kung Fu (wing chun), Savate...
The one i listed are those which seemed the more accurate.
>>
>>1893749
I'd do Judo.

If you want to strike more then Karate.

I have a fondness for Kung Fu as well tho.
>>
>>1893749
Read the OP warning signs.

For your purposes, I would say TKD is the worst, and judo the best.
>>
>>1893749
What style of karate?
>>
>>1893803
Shotokan. I'd rather have Kyokushin.
>>
>>1893822
Yeah, go for judo
>>
So I was having trouble with passing, and I asked the teacher "what do I do on top?" He said "pass" and then laughed. Am I looking to much into this? Is this a warning sign or did the guy just convey some ancient bjj wisdom that I don't know yet?
>>
redpill me on boxing
>self defense
>fitness
Does competitive boxing suffer from the same thing as things like taekwondo, where people adopt styles that are just extremely efficient at getting points?
>>
>>1894317

>redpill
It's a great striking art. Very abrasive and not good long term. The current competitive scene is filled with people who want a pay check and don't really care about the fight.
>>
>>1894317
AFAIK, sport boxing is not only for points. What's the point on scoring points if the other guy can win by punching you really hard once and sending you to the ground? Therefore, the style have evolved into making each punch as strong as possible so even if the boxer hits only once or twice, it each can be the winning movement. Over the time, brain damage can be also real, and isn't unheard people dying as result of injuries sustained during the fight.

So, no, boxing is not a meme.
>>
>every mma gym near me omits prices on their websites
>every boxing gym near me either has no online presence or a shitty website that doesn't list gym location or cost
>>
>>1893822
>shotokan
Fresno?
>>
>>1894317
Points count in olympic boxing, in professional matches for big money they just want to murder each other.
Beware of possible concussion, if you take a heavy hit, its better to rest and not spar for a while
>>
Why do you guys hate Hapkido so much?
>>
>>1894781
Because no sparring.

Hapkido is generally only practiced against a complaint opponent.
>>
>>1894781
>Hey grab my hand now
>No, the other hand please
>>
>>1894795
>>1894799
But my Hapkido gym spends the last hour of every session with full contact sparring, both grappling and striking. I never understood this meme.
>>
>>1894801
Good for you then, but in most gyms hapkido is like typical aikido+shotokan - 0 spar, zen bullshit, fat guys in hakamas and
>you cant use what you learn here outside of a dojo because you might kill someone
If your gym is not a meme, enjoy it and don't worry what other people on the internet think.
>>
At what point should you be developing your own game in bjj instead of just going to class and learning the move they are teaching that day?
>>
>>1893700
What you want is MMA. It teaches you the most realistic hand to hand combat while in a controlled and sport environment.

Judo is too unrealistically restricted to stand up grappling. BJJ is too unrealistically restricted to ground grappling. Boxing is too unrealistically restricted to just striking and specifically punching. Kickboxing is too unrealistically restricted to just striking and specifically punching and kicking. Muay Thai is too unrealistically restricted to just stand up striking with some grappling.

MMA gives you realistically well rounded hand to hand combat training, all while providing you with the drills and sparring to develop your fighting skill.

Because MMA is still a sport, and therefore unrealistic in terms of self defnse, you'll want to supplement with a Filipino martial art like Kali, Escrima, and or Arnis.

Sparring is the very best way to develop applicable skill in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of effort per time spent.

Krav Maga is what's best if it has lots of sparring, all while a good basis of technique, and some useful drills.

But it's often difficult, according to /asp/ to find good Krav Maga places with quality instruction.

That Fight Quest episode where they do Krav Maga is a good example of good environment for developing applicable skill.

In the end, it's not the martial art, it's the training methods.
>>
>>1894855
What is newaza?
>>
>>1894801
It's pretty much the same case than the place where I used to train kung fu. Lots of people dismiss kung fu as some kind of silly meme, but then I remember the beatings I used to endure when sparring full contact, so I go like "fuck them".

However, I also learned where people are coming from. McDojos have really hurt the reputation of certain MA for all the people within the community, and sometimes outside, and when the majority of the places are shit, is easy to assume all of the places and practiser are shit as well.
>>
>>1894816
>Tfw JKA Shotokan and my sensei is ultra conservative, grew up in shit neighbourhood full of native thugs, full contact sparring in black belt classes.
>>
>>1894257
Had you not said bjj, I would have thought that you were my student.
We were doing newaza in judo, and I said the exact same thing to a yellow belt that was having trouble passing.
From a technical standpoint, what he was doing was pausing between each point on his technique, and during the pause he would release pressure and provide an opening for the person below to block the pass.
The reason that I just said 'pass' and started laughing is because what really needs to happen is he needs to shut off his brain, and let his technique happen with less thought and more action so that there are no openings for his opponent.
In other words, know your goal, press towards your goal, and think less while doing more.
>>
>>1893721
>You're going to the ground or going to get snatched up in any altercation
this always makes me reeeeeeeeee

not being a tuff gai or anything, but I've been in many fights and they are always finished on the feet in 5 seconds or less. A good kick to the leg or gut check is more than enough to finish anyone.

Under no circumstance will some untrained guy be putting me on the ground, I toss people over plenty, but why would I follow them down there? They are on the ground, they are done.

I have on 2 and only 2 occasions ever gone down to the ground to grapple and that is only because I didn't really want to hurt the guy and he just needed to be restrained and cool down
>>
Is judo "good enough" as a grappling art? Like, I don't want to do BJJ, but I feel like all the joint locks and groundwork those guys have going on could be a problem.
>>
>>1894816
Is shotokan a meme? What are the "good" types of karate
>>
>>1895217
they are the same thing

judo gives you godly top pressure and an unsweepable base, I hate playing against judo guys, they don't even need to put a sub in, their pins just crush the life out of you and make you want to rethink what you're doing with your life

jiujitsu is more accessible though, it's a lot easier on the body. I have gotten hurt in every randori I have ever done.
>>
>>1895217
Why do you not want to do bjj?
>>
>>1893749
>Savate
Take Savate if you're going to learn striking. I would give my left nut to be able to train Savate.
>>
>>1894667
>>every mma gym near me omits prices on their websites

That's Par for the course honestly and it pisses me the fuck off.

Anyways, expect prices to be around 120-200 dollars a month
>>
File: ufc-gym.jpg (119KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
ufc-gym.jpg
119KB, 1024x682px
I was coaching at a jiujitsu competition today, and as I walked around I noticed an interesting trend that any time someone was getting their shit kicked so badly it was enough to draw my attention, when they got off the floor I would see they always had a UFC gym gi on

it had gotten to the point where I even said "oh, look there goes another UFC guy"
That is all
>>
>>1894257
I think you just asked the wrong question. If you're a beginner, lots of students spend a lot of time thinking there's an alternative to passing. They think they're on top so they should be able to do something, and dick around with trying to get submissions or pin the guy on bottom.

As for passes, there's a jillion variations but here are some consistent rules:

1) Use one arm to keep him from posturing up. If he can just sit up, you're not passing.

2) Use the other arm to control other his arm or his leg.

3) Keep your back straight, and your head facing up. This is the hardest part. It really helps if you don't have to look at what you're doing with your hand.
>>
File: 1463688035877-pol.gif (263KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463688035877-pol.gif
263KB, 848x480px
>>1895236
>savate
>>
if the ultimate goal of your training is to prepare you for 'fighting' you'll want to do the sport where you do the most fighting, and that is boxing, you will do the most 'realistic' sparring, like in muay thai they spar really slow, and that's probably the only other striking sport worth mentioning

do boxing and like wrestling/judo

power combo
>>
>>1894843
Late purple

You can always be doing extra reps on the moves that you learn in class.
>>
>>1895211
>five seconds or less
>"fight"
>>
>>1894801

Without you posting video, at this point none of us have any reason to take your word for that.

People with shitty training often THINK they're doing full contact sparring when they aren't because they have no perspective on it.

Even those who DO hard sparring often find that they abandon their style and do essentially bad kickboxing when they spar.

I've for instance done Kenpo, which is supposed to be about quick, staccato hand techniques and using your speed to open up your opponent with a flurry of strikes and checks. When they spar it looks like bad kickboxing.

I did Isshinryu too, which is supposed to be a brutally simple in-fighting style marked by low kicks and straight-line vertical punches thrown from elbow range. When they spar it looks like bad kickboxing. It in fact looks like the same bad kickboxing as the Kenpo.

In both cases the karate practitioners would get rekt in the ring by anyone who has done good kickboxing. Aliveness is necessary for a martial art to be good. It is NOT sufficient, because the martial art can be practiced in such a compartmentalized way that none of the techniques taught show up in alive practice. This causes you to end up with people who can do pretty dances AND take a hit, but can't make their pretty dances work. It's not the worst possible outcome, but it's not as good as training in a real combat sport.
>>
>>1895498
if you cant finish off a goon in that amount of time you need some more training, even just a few lessons gives you exponentially better fighting ability than gigaboons learning on the street
>>
File: sambo 2014 japan.gif (2MB, 441x349px) Image search: [Google]
sambo 2014 japan.gif
2MB, 441x349px
>>1894937
grappling on the ground in judo. The other half of Tachi-waza, grappling standing, actually, throwing techniques.
>Where it matters the most, transitions from standing to ground.
>>
File: tsurikomi goshi on the knee.gif (3MB, 518x295px) Image search: [Google]
tsurikomi goshi on the knee.gif
3MB, 518x295px
>>1895217
Judo is good enough, but it lacks the small guy bias bjj has that makes it easier for small and weaker people to grasp.
>>1895227
>they are the same thing
True and False,...Techniques are the same, but the methodology changes a lot.
>>
Any general tips for a beginner boxer? I've noticed that my middle, ring, and pinkie knuckles are getting skinned, that shouldn't be happening, right?

Also, my Muay Thai friend keeps telling me that MT is literally just boxing but better, thoughts? That school is a little inconvenient to get too though.
>>
>>1896549
You're using gloves, right?
If you wear gloves and you still hurt your skin your gloves are too loose. Try wrapping your hands maybe
>>
>>1896562
Yeah, my hands are wrapped and I'm using gloves as well.
>>
File: sittichai-vs.-salvadore-3.jpg (204KB, 1143x825px) Image search: [Google]
sittichai-vs.-salvadore-3.jpg
204KB, 1143x825px
>>1896549
>MT is literally just boxing but better

Not true. The tactics are different, the stances are different. Punching technique is considered weaker in MT because they are primarily used to set up kicks. You wouldn't learn the same kind of hand proficiency learning Muay Thai if you were training Boxing, then again in Boxing you wouldn't learn clinch wrestling/sweeps/kicks/knees/elbows/etc.

>getting skinned
If your hands are getting skinned you aren't wrapping your hands correctly. If you aren't wrapping your hands, buy a pair and learn how.
>>
>>1895226
Point-sparring = meme
Focus on pressure points = meme
So it depends on the teacher

From what I can tell,
Shotokan has static stances and more developed kicks (in comparison to other styles), Kyokushin (also developed kicks) and to a smaller extent Goju-ryu focus on body conditioning, Shorin-ryu focuses on faster techniques.

Kyokushin will always be full-contact.
>>
>>1893721
Any grappling art is terrible for self defense, its good for self awareness and evaluation though as any training. Regardless you might get lucky a few times but when you start to choke out tyrone his nig buddies are gonna start wailing on you too.
Real talk, get a gun if you want real self defense and use it as a last resort.
>>
>>1896549
Do boxing for 6 months to a year and move on to Muay Thai when you feel ready. You'll be far better for it.
>>
File: spinning elbow ko 2.gif (1MB, 298x253px) Image search: [Google]
spinning elbow ko 2.gif
1MB, 298x253px
>>1896661
1. We're not all living in burgerland.
2. In civilised countries, to be elligible to self-defence laws, one usually has to retalliate proportionnally to the attack.
3. This is almost impossible using blows for a wide range of reasons.
4. If you got the basic of any striking art, and practice your grappling art properly, you can get in most people range easily. This obviously, doesn't work against trained fighters.
Regarding the previous points, it is enough to make grappling art as efficient if you can stay on your feet, or at least on top (uki gatame aka knee on belly).
Nice elbow for fun.
>>
File: club review.png (212KB, 547x856px) Image search: [Google]
club review.png
212KB, 547x856px
How much of a red flag is this?

For reference, the place has like 140 reviews and still has a 4.7/5 rating, and this is one of 3 1 star reviews, but the fact that 50+ people liked this bugs me.
>>
File: muay thai high kick esquive.gif (3MB, 476x342px) Image search: [Google]
muay thai high kick esquive.gif
3MB, 476x342px
>>1896710
how much of a red flag?
Don't ever train with shady people. Ever. If you end up having an issue with someone in the gym for whatever reason, how is it going to end? You're in life the way you train. if you're shady doing buisness, you're shady the way you train.
>>
>>1896710
>Signing a legal contract with sensible data in blank.
>Not reviewing his monthly bank balance to detect frauds.

He brought it upon himself, to be honest. Still, personally I wouldn't train with them, as this kind of practices shouldn't be tolerable. Also, is quite likely a lot of the reviews are shills or fraudulent.
>>
What strength exercises or drills do you bjj guys use for moving your hips quickly for things like guard retention and passing, as well as escapes etc.
I recently added power cleans and hang cleans but i feel like i need more of an edge
>>
>>1896948
It's called yoga.
>>
>>1897017
I do yoga, friendo. I have decent flexibility except for my groin, and am as flexible or more so than more experienced guys in my gym. Im talking about speed, agility and power in these specific movements.
Also whatever it is called like in double legs where you lunge but bring the knee all the way down. I dont really have control in those movements.
It seems a lot of it is practice and timing, but i also dont seem to have the agility and cardio for these kinds of movements
>>
>>1895989
>goon

Are you a sprite from an NES game given sentience and now posting on 4chan?
>>
>>1896948
Any heavy compounds like cleans, deadlifts, and even squats help my hip strength. Give yourself some time to develop your strength and see how you feel. Strength building is a slow, arduous process.
>>
>>1896661

By the time you've learned all the places you are and aren't allowed to carry a gun you might as well just learn all the place you are and aren't likely to get robbed.

I carried a gun for a little while because I was managing a movie theater and had to make large cash drops at the bank on a shitty side of town and it was stressful as fuck. Can't wander onto any federal, state, or city property or anywhere a sign is posted or anywhere alcohol is served, etc. Can't leave the gun locked in the car either because that's illegal...it was bullshit. I let that fucking permit expire and never got another one.
>>
File: neck break.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
neck break.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1896661
its the best
duck their slow punch and break their neck
grappling isnt just rolling on the ground or hugging
its lifting and slamming
>>
>>1896710

That guy sounds like an idiot tbch. I check my bank and credit balances daily to make sure I am not getting jewed. But that place sounds shady and that they don't give a fuck about the students, I wouldn't join.

Also most reviews are shill/sock accounts. If you scroll down on google you will see scores with no text and 5 stars.
>>
>>1893749
Check what style of karate the school is, if its kyokushin do that. If its anything else do Judo.
>>
>>1894801
I went to a hapkido gym that allowed sparring and it just looked like japanese ju jutsu sparring which is... Not good
>>
>>1897121
Yea this is basically what i do but i feel like i have slower, pressure style strength. Not really explosive or agile. Ive heard some good things about kettlebells and bw stuff but idk if thats meme shit.
>>
>>1896948
Kettlebell swings are great if you have one, they'll also benefit your cleans and deadlifts.
>>
>>1897206
Just find an intermediate weights programme that focuses so on explosive strength. I was doing one for a year or so that had lots of jump squats, box jumps that sort of thing and I had amazing results that said its a gamble and can be lethal on your lower back and joints if you're not well conditioned with top form.

Now I do bodyweight squat jumps, deep squat to stance reps and sprints.

Power cleans, push press Andy trilingual rats cover my upper body.
>>
>>1897219
Thank you autocorrect

>Push press, and a striking art*
>>
>>1897210
Are dumbell swings the same? I have dumbells.
>>1897219
Thanks. I remember i did ross enamaits magic 50 some years ago regularly before i got injured, and at the time i did think it put an extra spring in my step
>>
With submission defense becoming better and better in MMA due to the amount of experience the average fighter has in BJJ, do you guys think a change in attack to standing joint locks from properly trained aikido or the more aggressive approach of catch wrestling would bring grappling back to the forefront?
>>
>>1897311
No they aren't the same.
>>
i lift weight, im going to start mma classes 2 classes a day twice a week hopefully very soon. my estimated 1rms based off calculators put me in the low 900s. am i about to lose an asston of strength or can i just eat a fuckton more?
>>
>>1897330
Yes in 4 years the ufc will be pure aikido sign up to my gym now only $100 a month with a 10 year contract.
>>
>>1897132
well shit
Did he died?

How much do you guys pay per month for your gyms/dojo? How much is too much before it starts smelling iffy?
>>
>>1897330
The meta in MMA has improved submission defense and taps from triangle chokes and kimura have lower the percent of suceeding a bunch. BUT there are tons of other subs that have filled in the void, with a lot of BJJ based fighters using leglocks, various arm triangle variants (d'arce, anaconda)

plus right now in the current meta there are 2 submissions that are evergreen (never lowering in percent of succeeding) and that is the RNC and guillotine
>>
>>1897368
Leglocks aren't widely used in mma because you can get knocked out while doing them.
>>
>>1897742
leglocks from 50/50 guard are used a lot in the current meta because the current crop of BJJ specialist are 50/50 guard specialist. There is the inherent weakness of risking a GNP TKO when both arms are being use to crank on the limb rather then protecting the face, we will see how MMA forces 50/50 to evolve and leg lock specialist will be force to evolve, probably going away from heel hooks and ankle locks to more knee bars
>>
>>1897775
>>
>>1894843
Once you're able to reliably pull of basics, you'll naturally find yourself gravitating towards certain techniques. Some you'll abandon, while other will replace them, and while this is process that I notice starts in advanced white belts, it continues well past blue and purple. I've seen black belts totally revamp certain aspects of their game, for example.

>>1897342
Eat more, rest more. It'll be tough initially, but you'll adapt eventually. Lifting progress may come slower, however. Then again, you'll have gained in other areas.
>>
File: jaw breaker chelsa.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
jaw breaker chelsa.webm
3MB, 853x480px
the jaw breaker RNC evolved or came to because so many fighters are/were getting better and better at defending or stalling out a regular RNC. The gloves make it so hard for the choker and so much easier for the person to defend since there is so much material to grab onto
>>
File: jaw breaker gunnar nelson.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
jaw breaker gunnar nelson.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>1897782
>>
File: jaw breaker tate vs nunes.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jaw breaker tate vs nunes.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1897785
>>1897782
>>
>>1897782
>>1897785
>>1897786
>>
File: short choke rnc barnett.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
short choke rnc barnett.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
And then using the same gripping for the jaw breaker right on the throat you get the trachea crusher/short choke variant RNC. dick move to do in training or against your buddies, Not a clean move in terms of not getting a clean blood choke, but cause a shit load of pain and unpleasentess
>>
>>1897342

Not at all. If your sparring in bjj or clench you're going to get exponentially stronger. You will be surprised how much of a work out it is to move another grown man.
>>
What ma would you recommend for almost 6'3 265lbs 20yo guy? I want to pick something up so I have less time to waste browsing 4chan or youtube and get in shape. Would be nice to be able to compete, even at local events, extra points for gi/dobok because I've always thought they are cool. I don't want to use what I learn on the street - if someone is going to attack me I'll just use pepperspray and run (if he has a gun channeling chi won't help anyway). I've thought about karate kyokushin and taekwondo but I've read that you have to start it when you're a little kid to get somewhere. Is it true? I've also thought about boxing, muay thai, kickboxing and k1 (ye I know is an organisation) but boxing won't teach me how to kick, kickboxing doesn't have gi, muay thai is fucking scary with those elbow and knee strikes, k1 same as kickboxing. I don't like grappling so I won't like judo and bjj k guess. Halp
>>
>>1898153

You can go to mma if you want a slice of everything. BJJ is fun if you're a big goy, you learn judo and submissions. You can join a karate place if you want to strike with a gi, but watch out for mc.dojos.
>>
>>1897311
Ive never seen someone do a dumbbell swing the same way as a kettlebell swing, it always turns into this weird half squat half hip hinge movement. Id recommend picking up a kettlebell. If you have a decent strength base I would go for a 24 or 28kg one.
>>
>>1898153
Find out what's in your area. You're going to have alot more success at the martial art you don't have make major efforts to get to and from.

Since you like Gi's and striking. Karate is the obvious choice especially if you have a good local school that isn't too kiddy. It's not that you'll be too late to get anywhere as much as it can be awkward to be 15+ years older than your sparring partner.

If you want more sraight up fighting do boxing and then do kickboxing later. You don't have to learn everything all at once and you'll be better mastering one thing at a time.
>>
Whats the best martial art for learning leg sweeps.

I'm looking to just contact a trainer and do privates on solely leg sweeps.
>>
>>1898165
Every MMA fight I've seen looks just not like what I would want to do. They run around and fight, but then they go down and choke each other or punch when opponen in lying on the ground and they are sitting on top. Same with BJJ just with only grappling. I'll ask my uncle what they are doing tho, hes training MMA for some time.

>>1898228
I'm commuting to big city to my university, so I can chose whats there too.
There is a lot of karate, no idea if they are good and can't find any information if they compete and win anything,
beautiful aikido school (I know that all they do is throw each other in friendly manner, practise kata and meditate - not for me, even though they have awesome dojo, almost only gym with their own dojo with permanent mats),
3 taekwondo gyms (2 with kids so I think I'll pass, but in the third one trains the silver medalist from Baku 2015 olympics),
like 4 boxing gyms (only 1 is oriented on competing, rest is for trouble kids who want to fight each other on the street and soccer matches - fuck that),
a few kickboxing/muay thai gyms, don't have much info about them except one. They teach muay thai/k1 (thats how they describe those lessons so I guess its MT without elbows or something). Anyway, my friend trained there for 3 years until he got injured and fucked up his ankle, he never said anything bad about it and everyone who I asked about this gym respects it. Its full of buff guys tho.
I think I'll have to go there and check for myself, amost all of them offer free trial lesson.
>>
>>1898352
Well what exactly do you want to do in a fight?
>>
>>1898352

Going to be honest with you man. Every fight is gritty and sloppy. If you want to just do kata forms just say so.
>>
>>1898475
This, fights arent like you see in the movies. There is no art that allows you to take on a gang of 10 baddies with graceful aerial kicks and shit. In the real world fights go to the ground or are ended quickly on your feet.
>>
>>1898450
Kick and punch, taekwondo and boxing combined would be great, but I don't have time to train both, so I'm looking for something in between, but I might have to just pick one of them.
>>1898475
>>1898485
I know, man, I know. There is always this one sloppy block and bang, the fight is over.
It's not like I want to fight like in Bruce Lee movies, its just that I dont want to choke someone/smack his head while I'm holding him. Especially don't want to be on the recieving end.
>>
>>1898497
Do kickboxing then, many of taekwondo's kicks are incorporated and there is no clinching involved like in muay thai
>>
>>1898497
If you dont want to be on the recieving end of that then it would definitely help to do a grappling martial art.
I remember when I first started training in martial arts I only wanted to do muay thai because I thought bjj looked stupid as fuck, rolling around on the ground with pyjamas on. A friend of mine from muay thai ended up dragging me to a class one time and i was shocked at how easily these people manhandled me and fucked me up, got me addicted straight away.
If you'd just give it a try you might find that you really enjoy it, its also pretty damn useful in a real fight being able to grapple.
People always say that grappling is a terrible idea in a fight because there might be multiple attackers, but its not always you that will take it to the ground.
If a big ass rugby player type dude tackles you, unless youre built like a brick shithouse yourself and know good takedown defense, you're probably going down whether you like it or not so being able to quickly submit or gain a better position to disengage or attack on the ground is pretty useful in my opinion endrant.
>>
>>1898497
You don't have the mentality to be a competent martial artist and should either give up or join aikido
>>
>>1898593
Stop being stupid.

>>1898497
Like mentioned, I'd suggest kickboxing or MT.
>>
There's a well reputed and affordable boxing gym near me, so assuming I'd go with that first, what's a good style to compliment it with later? The more generally affordable style the better
>>
>>1898310

Are you talking about judo leg sweeps that work or spinny kicks down on the ground from Mortal Kombat? The former only works if you set it up correctly which means you're going to have to learn the whole martial art, not just one part. The latter is useless because people see it coming and if your opponent is standing rooted you will not be able to take him down with that sweep.

Martial arts developed as complete curricula for a reason. Deciding you're just going to learn the cool parts doesn't work.
>>
>>1899067
More affordable - judo or wrestling depending on where you live
Best option - BJJ tho it is notoriously expensive.
>>
What does /asp/ think of the frequency of brain damage in combat sports? Do you personally consider it too big a risk to take up something like boxing or MMA? How would you make these sports safer while retaining the spirit of it?
>>
>>1899317
play football or rugby
team spirit and more higher capable coaches that bring out the best out of people (budo)

full contact which satisfies the blood lust

more potential to get scholarship and money since leagues are so big

MMA and boxing are shit honestly compared
but i dont even train so why ask me?
>>
>>1898153
>265lbs
You fat or super muscular ?
>>
>>1899317
I'm more concerned about knee and back damage from grappling but yes it is a concern.

Generally speaking it's minimal at a amateur let alone a beginner level of practice. The worst brain damage, the famous cases are from fighting on after you've been knocked out (obviously when you come to). Apparently thats when the bad shit happens.

I wouldn't make them safer but I train quite sensibly also traditionally martial arts rarely targetted the head or at least compared to modern combat sports. The head is a bowling ball with teeth it's not wise to be punching it.
>>
>>1899421
Rugby has a far higher rate of injury both brain and spinal.

It is great tho.
>>
>>1899421
Rugby isnt fighting tho, some people enjoy fighting.
Rugby is a great sport though
>>
>>1899848
rugby is more close to fighting then BJJ or MMA you see elbows, knees punches, stomps and tackles
>>
There's a martial arts thread
>>1887627

Reminder that quoting here martial art threads you find could be useful
>>
>>1899895
>rugby is closer to fighting than fighting

So are you baiting or full retard?
>>
>>1900520
rugby has multiple opponents coming at you something MMA doesnt do, people fight dirty which is something MMA doesn't do, people go full speed in short burst something MMA doesnt do
>>
expenDoes anybody have a /fit/ macro for kettlebell training? Also what weight should you start if you already hit the weights? These things expensive for hunks of metal
>>
File: feb09sylla2.jpeg.jpg (45KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
feb09sylla2.jpeg.jpg
45KB, 400x300px
>>1895236
>I would give my left nut to be able to train Savate.
You might need to, to squeeze into those tight but sexy uniforms.
>>
>>1894257
>>1895254
>They think they're on top so they should be able to do something
Head-butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHiAswsrzKc
>>
>>1900635
>rugby has multiple opponents coming at you something MMA doesnt do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4xzs2besWk
>>
>>1899068
>Deciding you're just going to learn the cool parts doesn't work.
But that's how BJJ was created. But the guy was probably just too much of a pussy for the stand up game of Judo.
>>
>>1900635
>people don't fight dirty in mma

You ever seen jon Jones fight? He was a champ for awhile
>>
>>1900853
all the moves that work in kung fu krav maga are banned because of the rules. if people fought dirty in MMA why havent we seen a kung fu or krav maga do good there? its because of the rules and people dont fight dirty
>>
>>1900872
maybe it's because kung fu and krav maga are less efficient at teaching how to fight.

Is that not a possibility?
>>
>>1901317
>>1900520
Let me guess,the thread will become a shit flinging contest between this guy baiting, and full retards eating them right and left, right?

No wonder /asp/ became shit if some of the (supposed) most disciplined and cold headed guys can't refrain from arguing with a full retard,
>>
>>1901323
>>1901323
We're you even here for old /asp/?

It used to be 30 people shouting down one guy for being 2deadly, newfag. its what I came here for.
>>
>>1901341
And we also had tons of posts of /fit/ guys mocking us because they think dumb muscle>technique. And that video got reposted so many times...

Still, replying to bait is fucking retarded.
>>
Was anyone else hard on themselves when they first started MMA? Its only my third day but I still feel like I'm never going to progress.
>>
>>1901797
I started judo like a month and a half ago but I'm probably too hard on myself, since I feel as if I'm wasting peoples time since I'm such a forgetful scrub and its a competition focused club.
>>
>>1900635
Lmao
>>
>>1900635
Julian Savea should really enter the UFC then with his knowledge of the ultimate martial art of rugby
>>
>>1901797
Like literally every beginner to every martial art ever.

Frankly I get offended some times when beginners are hard on themselves because they can't spar as well as me. Well ofcourse you can't you only started.
>>
>>1902043
I get down on myself in BJJ because people who have been going as long as me or sometimes even not as long completely fuck me up, even though I'm usually much bigger and stronger than these guys.

Am I just dumb as fuck and don't understand any techniques?
I do my best but I just get rekt by everyone
>>
>>1902043
>>1902114
I've been going for like 8 months and still don't have my first stripe. And I've only tapped about 3 people out.
Am I just not getting it? I've started doing muay thai and I seem to be getting the swing of things in it much easier, any ideas what's going wrong with bjj?
>>
File: 486joh89h89.jpg (95KB, 800x541px) Image search: [Google]
486joh89h89.jpg
95KB, 800x541px
>>1902119
>>1902114
Do these people have more martial arts experience in other arts. Even as little kids?

In a lot of ways fighting is a whole new way of thinking and learning and for an absolute beginner that means a long process of repeating and reinforcing drills into the memory the reflexive mind.

After you've a grounding learning like this it gets quicker and easier to learn more even if you take a break for years.

Note that alot people lie about having not done martial arts before. There's all sorts of different beginners. There's an old weightlifting idiom I like still have on my desktop post it from when I was young and insecure.

Never compare. Always Progress.

Musashi put it more dramatically.

Don't be disheartened by other peoples success it's not a race. The only person you have to be better than is yourself from the class before.

I've put alot of thought into this this year because I was at a very frustrating point in my training at the start of the year. I'm good at my art. I'm usually asked to help out at group displays or even teach beginners but I'm also occasionally beaten by beginners and when that happens it starts to feel like they're beating you ALL the time. Made me feel shit and I took a step back and didn't spar at all for a time only working on improving my form.

This wasn't a waste of time but it was avoiding the problem. The real problem is that my body is a great fighter and my mind at present isn't. Or I'm a good mechanical fighter as Bruce Lee put it but not quite at the moment so good that I completely ignore my fighting and can focus solely on the opponent. Now that I know the problem I've improved immensely.

The Muay Thai should help alot and branching out a bit to better understand fighting overall is good.

Your problem is probably just mindset.

Just in case my post wasn't pretentious enough have this /fit/ classic to sum up:
youtube.com/watch?v=A-xmY5XKEnY
>>
>>1902144
That was actually very helpful, I have no idea if the other guys had previous martial arts experience but you are probably right about the mindset, I'm always hesitating and shit.
Any tips on how to work on the mindset of a fighter?
>>
File: IMG_5202.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5202.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1902144
Just as an addendum to this. This is a quote I took from a really fantastic book I read that really helped get out of that rut called Flow by Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi.

It's progress not winning that matters when you're training.
>>
>>1902162
Sure I found this book by far the most helpful on the topic. Sadly I haven't been able to find any others of the same vein. It might help you out too.

Tao of Jeet Kune Do by the man himself.
archive.org/stream/pdfy-SP1dBDr6xLGrVfF9/Tao%20Of%20Jeet%20Kune%20Do#page/n0/mode/2up

Now I don't do JKD so I skipped the technical stuff but there's alot of wisdom in here that applies in all fighting. I genuinely ended up noting down whole pages so I won't start quoting it here but to sum up in very brief and to be fair it was most psychology stuff that might only complicate your experience if you're an absolute beginner but essentially in the simplest terms you have to think without thinking.

Be alert but don't concentrate and most of all R E L A X. Relax your shoulders relax your hands.Be calm. Be alert and let your opponent defeat themselves. Treat winning like a bonus. Might happen. Might not. Priority one is to survive.

I loved the later mindset sections because it really worked off that Flow shit that was very profound to me and it's something I've been working on alot as a personal study.

I like to keeping the relaxed hands in mind when I'm wrestling. (I think I actually got it from the Book Ju Jitsu University. Also worth a read). Just like a pop up reminder every now and again. Relax your hands. It's funny how I suddenly notice how tense I actually was.

BJJ and wrestling are the best for training this from scratch because it won't end in a second if you get something wrong. You can make mistakes so take your time and enjoy yourself.

Eventually you will feel at home fighting and that's really the most important benefit of martial arts.

A drunk attacked me once and I passed his swings to a sidehug so easily I just chatted casually with him down the street. Heartrate probably hadn't increased at all and it really wasn't a fight to me at all to confusion of my friends. I think while your learning a nice calm defensive mindset where its at.
>>
Is doing yoga useful?
>>
>>1902293
Works for some people. It's just stretching really.

If you don't already do some in your class it's worth doing it.
>>
File: 1475974504679.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1475974504679.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>1899895
In bjj you don't see them, you feel them.
>>1900635
It's normal that you don't see your opponent in rugby, you're focused on the ball...
Plus there is that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VIWXWQutFw
Rugby is rough, but this is 100 basis point rougher.
>>1900872
>Imtoodeadlyforu.webm
GTFO you faggot. Old vale tudo hadn't those rules nor rio heroes, and guess what kung fu or krav didn't work better than they did in mma.
>>
what the fuck, why this is allowed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLewxaKDyZ0/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39d-bllm3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbmOnDwjdNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjlrohFzck

is systema the next big meme art?
>>
File: 000_EL2EG-e1471034746323[1].jpg (67KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
000_EL2EG-e1471034746323[1].jpg
67KB, 768x432px
Any judoka here?
Do you have to be ripped to get good at it? Pic rel looks pretty big, but maybe its just his gi.
When I watch it on youtube it looks like the guys are just barely not breaking their necks. Also getting ipponed hard looks like it might crack ribs or something. Is judo dangerous?
>>
>want to do bjj but the closest school is to far away
>cant do sambo coz not russian
>already tried to do judo but quit and dont feel like picking it up again
>legs to small for taekwondo
>dont want to spent 400 years to actually be good at aikido

am i fucked lads, the only other options are karate and kung fu
any advice?
>>
File: 1328868947733.jpg (21KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
1328868947733.jpg
21KB, 300x301px
>>1902293
Depends what you are looking for.
1. you learn how to stretch. Good, but not enough
2 You get flexible. good, regarding point one, it makes it worth the time spent.
3. you learn how to breath. That's the whole motherfucking point of it all. Mastering the body so it doesn't bother the breath.
Lot of people can't sleep after sport during the evening. Pranayama helps for this.
You learn how to cool down between rolls and how to warm up faster. You learn how to master your breath under pressure.
Finally (thats the purpose of it) Pranayama helps to learn to focus, regardless of what you want to stay focused on.
Pic related
>>
>>1902938
I do bjj but we spar from standing frequently and I can tell you that someone landing on top of you after youve been put on your back flush most definitely can crack a rib. Its dangerous but so are many sports, if youre worried about lasting head injuries its much less dangerous than most combat sports.
Really all martial arts have an inherent level of danger, other than the 2deadly2spar dont wanna kill anyone bs arts ofc
>>
>>1902958
What kind of karate? Kyokushin, goju-ryu, shotacon etc. If its kyokushin then do that.

How come you didnt like judo?
>>
>>1902938
And as far as build goes, there are of course weight classes but it certainly helps to be strong. Grab a couple of kettlebells if youre not the heavy weights type
>>
Any Bostonfags in here? Any opinions on this gym? http://peterwelchsgym.com

Just looking up the name shows a shitload of 5 star reviews on Google, FB, and Yelp, which I suppose means it's either legitimately good or extremely well shilled.
>>
>>1900872

Tippy top kek
There are hours of vale tudo matches on youtube to prove this statement wrong. The simple fact is if you focus on a nut shot your going to get your head kicked off. Also to answer a question from the last thread BJJ still dominated even when nut shots were common.
>>
>>1903324
Just grab the balls bro just grab the balls.
Ok man you can fondle my nutsack while I break your focken arm cunt
>>
File: monkey_steals_the_peach.jpg (23KB, 450x364px) Image search: [Google]
monkey_steals_the_peach.jpg
23KB, 450x364px
>>1903328
Pic related
>>
>>1902938
Judoka here.
Yes, it is dangerous, as are all combat sports.

However, what you aren't looking at is the ukemi technique of the person getting thrown. A good school will have more training on being a good uke (guy getting thrown) than being a good tori (guy throwing). There is a value in learning how to take the force of a throw and distribute it over a large surface area of your body and protecting sensitive areas from harm.

My experience is that most of the injuries in my dojo come from people that have been doing bjj thinking that they can just jump right in and ignore the ukemi and end up falling ugly.

One bjj guy broke his collar bone because he didn't know how to fall in uki otoshi. Basically your face and shoulder are being driven toward the mat, and if you can't fall correctly, your collarbone will take the full force of the impact if your face doesn't do it first. In my dojo, we train a side shoulder roll that ingrains muscle memory into you so that your response to this force is to point the thumb down in a hooking motion as you fold your head and shoulder forward, which causes you to roll the force onto the shoulderblades, arm and much of one of your legs instead of breaking your collarbone.

So, yes, it is dangerous, and the basic idea is that you get an ippon when you perform any judo move with a power and force such that it would have killed someone that was untrained in judo had it been done outside a padded environment.
>>
Does it sadden anybody else that we're never going to get style vs style matches anymore? You know a judo master vs a Gracie, or a TKD guy vs MT fighter? Honestly I love those matches, now everybody kind of uses the same 3-4 effective styles. mixed together in a premade formula. Is this really what people like Bruce Lee envisioned for martial arts?
>>
>>1902293
If you find the right yoga, it is great for bjj and judo and liftan. If you have something that will give you hip mobility and lower back mobility, it makes your guard much more difficult to pass while giving you better control of locking in triangles. For lifting, it will help fix your squat.
>>
File: 1477115473466.gif (598KB, 438x750px) Image search: [Google]
1477115473466.gif
598KB, 438x750px
>want to start a full contact martial sport
>don't want brain damage and to become a slobbering mess who can barely function when I'm old
>>
>>1901427
>Still, replying to bait is fucking retarded.
Is it not fun? You need to loosen up a little.
>>
>>1903604
Do you seriously think you're going to train as hard or as even 2% as often as punch drunk ex pro boxers?

No one makes you spar. Let alone hard and often.
>>
>>1904003
Not him, but what about those who want to go pro? Does being at the top justify that kind of future?
>>
>>1893676
Dont like how there is nothing in the fact for determining legit TMA like Koryu form "TMA" Mcdojo stuff
>>
>>1904003
You know even the majority of amateur boxers exhibit signs of brain injury according to studies, right?
>>
>>1904186
Basically what style is old and what isn't? A google search is enough, 99.9% if not 100% of the styles got neutered down and deformed after the american occupation anyway.

Also Isshin-ryu could be considered traditional but started in the 20th century while some american shorin-ryu gyms could be anything but traditional while technically being old.
General rule would be getting teachers with lineage as near as possible to the founder.
>>
>>1905076
isshin ryu is karate, a modern martial art. koryu is any Japanese school going back before 1877.

Unfortunately They are often lumped in with "TMA" that are less than a century old because they layman does not understand the difference.

a good example, JJJ often lumps together genuine classical styles of jujutsu with modern Japanese based offshoots created in the west
>>
>>1905121
It's just a vague term, when someone writes "traditional shotokan school" they mean that they're supposedly close to the first shotokan schools (which is even by itself a lie), they also probably mean that it's part of those martial arts that mostly pass on what is taught rather than what is believed to be ideal

Would you consider a pure tomari-te practitioner as traditional?
>>
>>1905152
>tomari-te
dont know karate history very well, had to look up the term but I suppose if they were not just making claims and had real lineage and practiced in the same basic manner.

more interested in jujutsu and kenjutsu when in comes to this issue
>>
>>1905157
Oh I see, then nevermind what I said about the american occupation, I assumed you were talking about karate which has a rather clear distinction between school-oriented and self-preservation-oriented and that with the american soldiers in okinawa became more lax to accommodate them.
>>
What is realistically the oldest you could start and still become a world champion?
>>
>>1905273
>>
>>1905273
Skill and physical ability all plateau after a certain point. It's all up to how much you put into it.
>>
>>1905070
Cite em, fag
>>
>>1902927
Shame is, I used to train Systema, and there are very good principles (relaxation, breathing, etc). But this is really too much...
>>
>>1903604
Judo, bjj, wrestling.
>>
Question:
Is it better to go to an MMA school or learn BJJ and Muay Thai seperarely?
Im currently training with gracie barra and my local muay thai club and I'm wondering if I'd be better off training at a dedicated MMA gym.
>>
the most popular martial art is a combat sport. Martial arts are dead
>>
I want to be a boxer but only I have a Muay Thai gym, can I just train MT and box?
>>
>>1905294
Junior Dos Santos started training at 21 so fuck you
>>
>>1896661
Being able to grapple is very important in self defense. What do you do if you get blind side tackled and are unfamiliar with how to stand back up? Foot work is good for keeping people away while striking and grappling is good for if they get their hands on you.
>>
>>1898310
Muay thai
>>
>>1905671
Depends on the level of their coaches. If they have a BJJ coach better than your BJJ coach and also a Muay Thai coach then obviously going there would be better.
>>
>>1905856
Unless you use your 360 jumping kick to the temple and crack their skull
>>
>>1902958
Shokotan is the only one in my area
Started judo when I was young, no interest so only did coz I was told to but now Im perfect body type for it so might give it a try
>>
>>1903233
>Shotacon
Fucking pedo >:3c
>>
>>1906005
Is shotokan legit? I only here good things about Kyokushin.
>>
File: MitsukuniHoney.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MitsukuniHoney.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>1906013
>>
>>1903233
>shotacon
Anon I sure hope that isnt your autocorrect, correcting to your commonly used words.
>>1906058
It can be, and some of those fuckers can be pretty fast if they do leg fencing competitions, but its a lot less likely. Kyo gets praise for being a full contact style and having full contact competitions.
>>
>>1905728
Train muay thai, you might end up loving it more than boxing anyway. But if your desires really are set on boxing then yea muay thai is better than nothing, youll at least have some experience with sparring, slipping punches etc than if you did nothing
>>
>>1905866
Both schools are black belt jiu jitsu coaches, the gracie barra guy trained directly under braulio estima. Not sure who the other guy got his black belt from tho.
They have a dedicated boxing trainer, and the muay thai coach is actually the same person in the mma place and the straight up muay thai place.
Confusing, I know. Any thoughts?
>>
>>1906073
>>1903233
I dont know what shotacon karate is but I have a feeling I don't want to train in that style
>>
>>1905671
The question is, do they know how to mix martial arts and do they know how to train and teach that.
>>
>>1905273
>What is realistically the oldest you could start and still become a world champion?
Some people develop skill and learn faster than others. It just depends on the person.

Me? I could start at age 95 and still kick all of your asses because I'm so great.
>>
>>1906210
>Me? I could start at age 95 and still kick all of your asses because I'm so great.
t. Muten Roshi
>>
>>1906114
The ancient japanese art of pedastry. I was going to make it a greek joke before I remembered japs like nobunaga were kiddy fiddlers too.
>>
I'll just let you know that I've trained taekwondo with north korean special forces for almost 10 years now and I'm heading to New York now.
I'll just walk down the street and kick everyone around in the head.
The government will be so scared they will surrender to our glorious leader.
Try to stop me, hah
>>
>>1906393
I've been taught aikido from Steven Segal for over 700 years. You are nothing to me.
>>
>>1906413
I have personally been taught krav maga by moses himself and know over 600 different ways to dismantle a man's testicles using nothing but my bare hands and feet
>>
>>1906423
I have wrist locked poseiden while flipping Zeus into submission. I could will you out of existence
>>
File: 71ZUZBDC1jL._SL1500_.jpg (144KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71ZUZBDC1jL._SL1500_.jpg
144KB, 1500x1500px
My BJJ gym has no rules on gi color.

Would I look like a cunt if I showed up in a red gi?
>>
>>1906498
With a white belt? Probably. Id just go for white or blue
>>
>>1906498
Would you look like a cunt? Yes.

Are you breaking any rules? No

If you wanna wear red then wear red. Just be prepared to be called Santa Claus esp if youre a white belt
>>
>>1906498
just used a white gi until you have more experience, one time you are know in the gym you can buy a red gi without appearing a cunt.
>>
>>1906498
No, as an instructor I like letting my students express themselves. I even have one guy who wears a Brunami tiedye gi.

Just understand that for competition you'll need either a white or blue gi.

And I personally make all my students compete as a requirement to get past blue belt.
>>
i'm gonna start kickboxing the next week, the instructor seems legit, have various professional fights, and have a black belt in karate and taekwondo, the classes would be pure kickboxing but is seems that the instructor teach some good spinning and meme kicks from taekwondo and karate unlike many other kickboxers, kickboxer instructors with TMA background are good, i see that many kickboxer have a experience in taekwondo and karate, so the style is legit?
>>
>>1906518
>one time you are know in the gym you can buy a red gi without appearing a cunt.
And that's because humans judge a person's internals based on one's external appearance, which is fucking stupid as fucking shit.
>>
>>1906104
Go take a BJJ class and see if you like it. Also, I wouldn't abandon your coach if you have a relationship with him because that's usually seen as backstabbing. Maybe just see if you can sign up for just the striking classes?
>>
>>1906498
And here am I, not buying Adidas gi because I think I'll look like a retard with Adidas stripes on my shoulder
Go for fucking weed theme or blazes while you're at it. Remember to wear black belt too
>>
>>1903322
Looks like they spar regularly and have success outside of the gym. Good signs.
>>
>>1906551
>so the style is legit?
What makes you think that you're qualified to judge whether or not the answer you receive is true when you have to ask?

I could say "no," I could say "yes," but how would you know which one is true?

People who read your post could only have what you posted as information to work with. They'll all probably know less about the gym than you do. What makes you think that that's any better? Maybe someone could work with information better than you can, sure, but if you can't work with the information you have well, then maybe you should work on that before you try to work with the information from someone who worked with your information.
>>
>>1906691
Yea I think I'm just going to take BJJ and muay thai seperately, I like my coach and many others in the bjj gym so no point in switching. Hopefully when I'm good rnough at both the skills will be transferrable to mma
>>
>>1906813
Wat
>>
Tips on clinching/stand up with people taller than you?

Ground game is easy for me.
>>
>>1907017
Try and break their posture down and dont let them put their weight on you, I'm 6'3 and people are always telling me I feel ridiculously heavy even tho I only weight about 190-200
>>
>>1907019
Break their posture down?
>>
>>1907017
I'm pretty small when I clinch with people standing up I always try to have pressure on them as if I am going for a body fold so they are not comfortable.
>>
>>1906498
No one fucking cares

Make sure you get "ken" embroidered on it
>>
What are some sites that have good reviews on fighting gear ?
>>
>>1906846
>Hopefully when I'm good rnough at both the skills will be transferrable to mma
Mixing striking and grappling is a skill of itself. You train it to get good at it.
>>
>>1906498
protip: if you are interested in a club and they have restrictions on what colors you can wear, tornado kick 900 degrees and cartwheel right out of there

they are stuck in the past and you will only learn traditional bullshit dickriding techniques that don't actually work
>>
File: 1477538507923.png (343KB, 972x2868px) Image search: [Google]
1477538507923.png
343KB, 972x2868px
Let's say one of those things is after you. As a martial artist, how do you defend yourself?
>>
File: 1477538548141.jpg (1MB, 922x3140px) Image search: [Google]
1477538548141.jpg
1MB, 922x3140px
>>1907888
>>
File: 1477538605926.jpg (1MB, 954x3150px) Image search: [Google]
1477538605926.jpg
1MB, 954x3150px
>>1907895
>>
File: 1477538655483.jpg (2MB, 992x4070px) Image search: [Google]
1477538655483.jpg
2MB, 992x4070px
>>1907899
>>
File: 1477538732699.jpg (813KB, 940x2296px) Image search: [Google]
1477538732699.jpg
813KB, 940x2296px
>>1907907
>>
File: 1477538961166.jpg (1MB, 729x4959px) Image search: [Google]
1477538961166.jpg
1MB, 729x4959px
>>1907918
>>
File: 1477539013062.jpg (926KB, 708x3246px) Image search: [Google]
1477539013062.jpg
926KB, 708x3246px
>>1907925
>>
Darnit guys I keep fuggin up. 22. 23 in Jan. Joined Rocky-tier boxing gym last year. Have BARELY gone. Going to commit this Fri (I'm sick and have to go to doctor's tomorrow). Boxingbro said I need to do at least 4 days a week because I'm behind (didn't do sports as a kid). I'm lean and catch up what I lose quick though. 5"10.5 and 170lbs. Is there hope for me to be great-tier at least as an amateur? Maybe do well professionaly? I don't need to be Tyson (though that'd be nice) I just wanna git gud.
>>
>>1908333
Ugh you could probably do well in amatuer if you're really dedicated but professionally that ship sailed when you were 10
>>
>>1908354
>When I was 10
This is almost freeing, thank you. I'll take amateur.
>>
>>1908333
The more effort you put in the more likely it becomes. If you started literally focusing on it every waking minute that you can, you'd have higher chances then if you started pretty casually. If you start doing it regularly at all, those are a hell of a lot better chances than if you were still sitting on your ass.
>>
>>1908370
This is also what I thought.
As soon as this cold is done I'm committing once and for all.
>>
>>1908383
I believe in you.
>>
>>1908333
Kevin Ross started at your age. Go for it.
>>
>>1908333
>>1908370
>If you started literally focusing on it every waking minute that you can
This.
When you dream, lucid dream about martial arts. When you wake up, get out of bed while practicing martial arts or thinking about martial arts. When you move to the restroom to take a leak, practice martial arts, or review practical martial arts information. While you brush your teeth, contemplate martial arts. While you brush your teeth with one hand, practice your jab with the other hand. While getting dressed, in between putting on articles of clothing, practice a few kicks or punches.

Feel like playing video games? Practice martial arts.
Feel like jacking off? Practice martial arts.
Feel like bullshitting on 4chan? Practice martial arts.

Fuck your family, you don't have time for that shit, focus on martial arts.
Fuck a girlfriend (or boyfriend), you don't have the time for that shit. Practice martial arts.

Before you eat, practice martial arts. After you eat, lightly practice martial arts.

Have a full time job? Fuck that shit. Work part time, you need the extra time to practice martial arts.
Fuck some expensive car, or some other bullshit. You need the money you would've spent on gas and some other shit, and spend it on the minimum of what you need to survive while maintaining an active lifestyle and martial arts.

Fuck everything else, fuck grocery shopping like a normal person, fuck talking to people like a normal person, fuck thinking like a normal person, you will be a martial artist.
You think about martial arts, you talk about martial arts, you day dream about martial arts. You wake up, live, sleep, and die, martial arts.
>>
>>1902144
>that picture quote
I'm caught between, it means you always get better and "no matter what you do you will always suck. even against your self
>>
pls help

I sparred yesterday (new to this so bear with me) and I struggled with keeping my mouth shut. I was using a mouth guard and I was really gassed out at a point and struggled with breathing through my nose so I started opening my mouth and breathing through there instead. No good me thinks. Should I do cardio while using a mouth guard as a means to force myself to breath with my nose a good solution? I genuinely tried breathing through my nose, but shit man, it was hard.
>>
>>1909028
Yes, that's one solution. Others are to just be more conscious of it when you spar. You're not expected to have all the body mechanics down perfectly your first time.
>>
>>1908920
Autism: The post
>>
>>1909197
Well, yeah. After all, you'll basically have to become autistic about martial arts depending on how far you wanna get.
>>
>>1909204
Even though who we are changes, we still do not become like them. Instead, we just act like them, because it comes naturally to them.
It's in their neurobiology to be masterful specialists.

To act like them, it's a thing of psychology. Perhaps, the actions over time change our neurobiology to somewhat be a little similar to theirs, but to have the neurobiology for it at birth is something else.
>>
>>1909197
>what is having self control
>>
>>1908550
I thought this happened with someone! Didn't Sonny Liston do so as well?
>>
>>1908920
And this. This is legit inspiring.
Ive thought of this though. If I replace bullshitting on the computer with martial arts, I'll be a champ in no time.

Also I thought of the gf thing too.
>Tfw throwing that aside and straight up dropping opportunities to box
I have to study for the LSAT too. Walp

I'm gonna go full Saitama mode
>>
>>1906498
You'd look like a santa claus cunt
>>
>>1909249
Welp. I got a bad virus that lasts 2-4 weeks minimum. A-after, THEN I'll become a champ! Believe it!
>>
>>1908920
This is some Steven Segal tier bullshit
>>
What kind of suppliments do you guys take so your body isn't destroyed?
>>
File: 1380990871188.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1380990871188.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
>>1909438
Strong lifts 5x5 and rest.
>>
What's a good fighting style to use against bigger opponents?
>>
>>1909625
Bjj.
>>
>>1909625
BJJ
>>
>>1907808
The only places I've seen that have rainbow colored gi's are brazilian jiujitsu and mcdojo karate places.

Genreally the jiujitsu guys keep it tasteful though so enjoy your fucking dance class.
>>
>>1907888
>>1907895
>>1907899
>>1907907
>>1907918
>>1907925
>>1907951
Nigga do you honestly expect me to read all this shit?
>>
>>1909625
Hate to say it, but blow job jitsu
>>
>>1895394
You can spar harder in muay thai, Thais go light because they fight all the time.
>>
File: ko.gif (2MB, 293x203px) Image search: [Google]
ko.gif
2MB, 293x203px
>>1909249
Saitama isn't shit
>>
>>1909249
I've wrestled and just taken my LSAT while being in a relationship. You can manage it.
>>
/asp/ pls can you help me?
I want to start Kyokushin Karate but I live in Northern Ireland and there are no gyms anywhere near me as far as I can tell.
So I was wondering if there are any similar styles that I could search for, I love the traditional feel of the art, and the sparring is aesthetically pleasing to me, like 2 tanks smashing eachother bare-knuckle until one of them falls over.
What would be the closest thing to this? I don't really want to do a bullshit art either like shotokan or something.
>>
>>1909197
>>1909391
It's true, though. There is no shortage of people who essentially had no childhood. In every sport, from tennis to golf to basketball and martial arts, and especially boxing, there are literally thousands upon thousands of people who grew up eating and breathing their chosen sport/art. Granted, you can catch up fairly quickly since you're a grown adult with a desire to learn, where those guys were mostly forced into it and just kind of skimmed, but even still just the fact that they have so many years of experience where you don't means that they'll typically be better all-around.

So that guy is right- if you want to be known as one of the greats, you're going to have to catch up to those guys who have done it excessively for decades, and in order to do that you're going to have to devote a massive portion of your time to getting experienced and comfortable. In fact, I'd personally recommend you go past boxing and look for something different like karate or possibly muay thai/mma: those styles are not so harsh and you can become a well known name even further on in life. I've heard some professional boxers described as being "late to the game" when they started their career at 20. Not saying it can't be done, but it's really just not recommended.
>>
>>1909849
Belfast certainly has a lot of martial arts clubs that go under the radar online a bit. I found out about a karate club literally up my street a few weeks ago i never knew about. It's word of mouth as much as anything.

As an extension of this a lot groups prefer to keep their numbers low. Train a handful of faithful to a high level rather than cater to a constant stream of 3 month or one day wonders and intentionally don't advertise for years at a times So don't quit until you've expended all means of research.

IF you've never done any martial arts don't be too picky some training no matter the quality is better than not
>>
>>1910050
That's interesting, any ideas where I could maybe start looking?
I'm training BJJ currently so I was looking to pick up a striking art to supplement it and kyokushin has always had a big appeal to me
>>
>>1909625
Kickboxing. It doesn't matter how big their biceps are, a good kick or punch to the jaw, they all drop the same.
>>
What kind of lifting should you do to compliment MMA? How many calories should I consume?
>>
>>1910604
>What kind of lifting should you do to compliment MMA?
Heavy

> How many calories should I consume?
All of them
>>
>>1909825
This is actually great to hear and very reassuring. Cheers, as the bongs say.
>>
>>1909863
Appreciate the insight. I think I'm going to start with boxing then build on it later with Muay Thai, judo, etc. Might go MMA.
>>
>>1910853
If you want to gas out in 5 seconds then sure
>>
>>1911027
>the no cardio meme
>2016
>>
>>1911054
Not sure if bait or if fit has infiltrated this board
>>
>>1911063
Why would someone gas out from being stronger and consuming more energy?
>>
>>1911078
I was mostly referring to the consume all calories point
>>
>>1911095
>>1911078
ALL implying eat like a pig and do gomad and become a fat sweaty mess
>>
Do you guys think 22 is too old to get into a martial art?
>>
>>1911218
Ofc not, wtf
>>
>>1911095
If you're doing cardio on top of weight lifting, you need even more calories, dingus.
>>
>>1911361
Yea but it seemed like you were encouraging the guy to eat like fucking big macs and shit to get the calories in
>>
>>1911374
Not him but that was your ignorance and not implied in the post.

Anyway if Big Macs fit your macros that's grand.
>>
>>1911218
That actually the age I started.

Had a late start in martial arts because family was low income and martial arts in the area I grew up in were expensive.

I have seen and trained with people who just got started in their 40s.
As long as you don't have a major physical problem/injury you should be fine.
>>
File: 1476170217450.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1476170217450.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
>looking for a good gym for months
>try all in my area
>all mcdojos
>suddenly realized I missed one
>website looks aged
>claims to be old school
>picture of the head of the gym in his prime
>handlebar moustache
>holy fuck
>give him a call
>"Boxing."
>I tell him I'd like to join.
>"Bring a beach towel, 75 bucks a month"
>oh baby
This is it. This will be the greatest boxing gym.
Pretty good but
>no a/c
It just keeps getting better and better.
>>
>>1911530
That's a very pricy boxing gym
>>
>>1911540
All the others were 150-200$ a month. The closest gym other than these is an hour away.
>>
>>1911540
But pretty cheap considering most other decent martial arts prices. My judo club charged the same.
>>
I started BJJ. All is going well. But my gym has a rule that white belts need to start at gi, and every spar starts in the guard. Is the common? It's not really doing it for me in terms of practice. I think I should head to a full mma gym. What do?
>>
File: 1426574446768.gif (715KB, 400x211px) Image search: [Google]
1426574446768.gif
715KB, 400x211px
>>1911054
This ain't /fit/ you 'tard.
>>1911218
Until 25 you'll recover in no time. enjoy your youth and train like there is no tomorrow.
>>
File: 1424549940395.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
1424549940395.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1912101
>But my gym has a rule that white belts need to start at gi
It's normal, more or less gi teaches the best defense, no gi the best offense. This because in gi you get to grip your opponent by the sleeves, the pants, the collar and the belt, which make it easier to slow pace down.
In no gi the range of attack is bigger and you can be more creative.
>every spar starts in the guard
Even for higher belts starting blue? You're in a mc dojo. Only for white belts, not optimal but understandable.
If you doubt it now you ain't gonna past blue.
>>
>>1912124

Currently im a whitie. But I just feel like I am not learning anything. The teachers only show a move, we go over it for 5 minutes with a partner and than we move on to something else. I am getting bad vibes. I might just finish out the month I paid for and exit.
>>
I'm worried this board and these threads give alot of people unnecessary high standards for clubs.

The whole mcdojo thing is probably blown way out of proportion in the heads of alot of beginners here.
>>
>>1912101
Training in the gi carries over better to no-gi and mma carry over to gi, so if you change your mind about doing mma vs pure jiu jitsu etc you have more options.
Theres also the argument that having a solid gi game will improve your defense etc as peoole will have tighter control over you with a gi on.
I dubno about aleays starting sparring from guard tho that sounds weird to me. You sure its always that way and not just positional sparring that one class?
>>
>>1912233
Honestly if you're a beginner going to a mcdojo might be better if you're tight for money, a lot of the gyms in my areas charge a $100+ a month for training and want you to sign a 1 year contract. If you don't plan on being a fighter it isn't really that necessary to fork over that amount of cash if you're still a beginner
>>
>>1912130
Thats what a lot of gyms do though, do they have open matts at your gym? Do they train fighters, and if they do how successful are they? You can't really just go off that, do the teachers stay around after class and let you practice, give you tips? Do you have classmates who spend time a lot of time training outside of class? If so practice moves with them, if its a decent gym then there should be guys more experienced than you who are training before/after class that will be able to practice with you and give you pointers.
>>
>>1912246

>always starting from guard
Yeah every white belt class is like this. Every spar starts from guard until youre at blue belt level. But there's no way that this is normal.

>>1912256

It's a gracie gym. GSP trains here occasionally. The teachers seem very meh. Just kind of walk around. There is open mat but most people don't stay since I go to a later class.
>>
>>1912266
Is it a real Gracie gym or just affiliated? The Gracie affiliation doesn't mean much, kinda just a racketering thing for the Gracie's. I did Muay Thai at a Renzo Gracie gym, the gym owner was a black belt under Renzo Gracie in NY, he had a great BJJ program and good mma program but the Muay Thai was so inconsistent, the teachers were constantly changing and people (including myself) were leaving, too much money to spend for a class with no real Muay Thai teacher.

If your unsure about your gym then go visit other gyms, tell them you're looking for a new gym and want to try out theres for week, most gyms will give you a free week to try out classes
>>
File: 1477400386872-a.jpg (35KB, 552x504px) Image search: [Google]
1477400386872-a.jpg
35KB, 552x504px
>>1912250
>paying over 80
>ever
>>
>>1912290

heh I am actually going to the same place right now. Was the BJJ always like this? I feel like the teachers don't give a fuck and it is a new guy daily
>>
>>1912316
Renzo Gracie in CT?

I haven't trained there in a year, when I did I remember there were 3 teachers who were very good teaching BJJ, one of which was the owner.

I don't know how it is now, but when I went there were issues with the non-bjj teachers not getting paid, and they left. As a result the Muay Thai class had a revolving door of teachers, a lot of them were ex or current amateur fighters, really young guys. The owner had a lot of fall outs with former teachers, students, and fighters he used to train. Unfortunately I don't know the causes of them but it happened to a lot of people so it was more than just one disgruntled person badmouthing the gym. I know that for some people after their original contracts were up the gym would still take out money from their account, whats worse is the membership would increase to the "standard" membership price, not the lower price they negotiated when they first sign, and the owner didn't tell them of the increase. Some people had issues with still having money withdrawn after they canceled there membership.

IMO I think the owner is more focused on training his fighters than actually running the business, and I don't think he has any idea on how to properly run a business. He's obsessed with being "Alpha" (a term he literally refers to himself by) and creating an image of being successful guy who makes good money. He constantly post pics of the cars he drives (Escalade, Mercedes) although I've heard he doesn't really own them.

My advice would be to do morning classes if you can, only 4 people at most show up, and sometimes no one shows up so you basically get a one on one lesson. If you can't start visiting other gyms, there are plenty of good programs in the area that cost no more(probably less) than what you pay there
>>
>>1912124
No Gi is better for beginners IMO. The grips greatly complicate the game and lead to people just holding on for dear life and being stuck. Better to get your ass passed and eventually learn.
>>
>>1912508
I have a friend who comes to class once a week, maybe twice.
there are 10 classes a week and open mats on the weekend, so he's a slacker basically.

anyway he never comes to the gi class, only the no gi, and the coach isn't happy about it. He says "if you want to get better at no gi, do gi"

I guess gi translates to no gi, but no gi doesn't really translate to gi very well
>>
>>1912486

Nah their place in NY. It has a very factory feel to it. Like okay let me get your attendance card, now warm up, now ill teach you a move, find a partner and do it for 5 minutes, now ill teach you another move, so it for 5 minutes, now spar for a bit while starting in guard.

It all feels so empty. I might not even finish up the month I have left. But I will make sure they cancel it right away.
>>
>>1912649
but did you fuck anthony bourdains wife yet? Don't leave until you fuck her

I'm not sure if she cheats or if he's just a cuck that lets her do it while he's out of town but she fucks everyone
>>
>>1893700
your entire comment causes me to laugh

haha

not really you are retarded

go learn muy thai, BJJ, and judo and wrestling FAG
>>
>>1896661
I can tell you have never been in a fight in your life. Every fighter knows how important and superior ground work is.
>>
>>1912649
I don't think the place in NYC have the same issues, thats were the owner from CT got his black belt from and trained.

I've never trained there but I know the trainers there are legit. The problem you probably have is that since its the flagship gym of Renzo Gracies it is very popular and has a lot of members, and it sounds like they don't have enough time to train with the individuals. I know a lot of fighters come up their to train every a lot, and its great if you're advanced or a fighter for one of the other Renzo gyms, but if you're a new guy you're probably not going to get a lot of attention because they are too busy training fighters/competitors for fights/tournaments.

I'd look around for a smaller place
>>
>>1912588
>only comes twice a week
>he's a slacker

You know some people have jobs and families and other interests right?
>>
>>1912749

Im interested.

>>1913086

Yeah. Ill shop around for a full mma place and then maybe Ill go back when I am not as green. (even though I am not sure how anybody learns anything from this place starting out)
>>
>>1911829
My Judo club charges about 350 USD per year
Thats what I earn in two months of teaching Judo to children there, and I feel like teaching makes myself a better fighter because I have to think deeper into stuff to teach it to children.
If you ever get the chance to be a teacher in a martial arts gym/dojo you should do it, it helps a lot to increase your skills
>>
>>1913138
Finding a nice little gym in NYC might be hard, if you have the means/time it might be worth checking out places in the suburbs
>>
Anyone know good places that offer just adult "amateur" wrestling classes in CT or a good way to search for them? All the places in my area only offer it in combination to mma or pair it with another style for just an hour a week(at most). I'd like to train just wrestling, and the only schools I can find are "Pro" wrestling.

I did a class at my old gym when I trained Muay Thai and really enjoyed it, they advertise for it but they only do classes sporadically and usually only when one of the fighters has a match coming up. I'd really like a structure class that teaches technique and fundamentals
>>
>>1913198
I assure you I am grossly unqualified to teach anyone at this stage in my training.
>>
>>1913206

I think I found one. It seems like a nice little spot and they owner was well spoken and seemed knowledgeable.

Radicalmma.com

Help me out /mag/ am I being mcdojo'ed?
>>
>bring buddy who is a 12 year veteran judoka to bjj class
>mfw he tapped my instructor (brown belt bjj) 3 times in a row
>>
>>1913571
just sign up for the free trial and google the instructors. If their credentials are legit, you like the classes, and haven't seen a bunch of bad reviews than you should be good
>>
>>1913582
Haha, did your instructor know or did you guys fuck with him and not tell him right away.
>>
>>1913601
He knew the moment he got thrown he was dealing with a high level judoka. My instructor loved it though and wants to bring him in to teach judo.
>>
>>1912749
> while he's out of town but she fucks everyone

How do you know?
>>
>>1913651
its an established fact. I was even once part of a conversation with a bunch of guys hanging around after practice talking about how they fucked her.

bitch is thirsty
>>
>>1896586
>You wouldn't learn the same kind of hand proficiency learning Muay Thai if you were training Boxing, then again in Boxin
I've only trained at my current gym, but we sure work on boxing. Maybe traditional mt had less emphasis on hand striking, but I think nowadays boxing mixes with traditional mt?
>>
>>1903604
>when I'm old

I'm 36 and started muay thai 1 year ago. I suppose it changes regarding the place where you train, but at ours, we're always told not to go too hard on training, if possible/if you don't know your opponent, go under 50% strength.
And I think that's actually a good thing.
What I meant with all that is that, maybe you can find a place where sparring isn't full force so you can avoid real damage.
Anyways, just know that you won't be able to avoid all strikes all the time. You have to get punched. A lot in the beginning. But you know what, in the end you feel that less and less. Makes you grow stronger, mentally too.

Sorry I don't know if that's useful at all, drunk and ESL.
>>
>>1912588
>>1913103
>You know some people have jobs and families and other interests right?
This.
>>
>>1912649
>It all feels so empty.
That's because you're not feeling the martial arts. They have a formula that works, and they stick to it. The feel is in the movements, the feel is in each 5min section, the feel is in each sparring session. Every movement, every position, every plan, every tactic, every reaction, every action.
Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>1913138
>even though I am not sure how anybody learns anything from this place starting out)
>I'm too slow to develop skill and learn fast enough so the gym is bad
>>
>>1914391

>Anyways, just know that you won't be able to avoid all strikes all the time. You have to get punched. A lot in the beginning. But you know what, in the end you feel that less and less. Makes you grow stronger, mentally too.

Dat brane damage tho
>>
>>1914421
I'm not sure being punched at controlled strength like I said does that much damage, but I may be wrong.
Also I was already retarded to begin with I guess so maybe there's no way it can get worse.
>>
>>1914397
>isn't taught anything
>WHY AREN'T YOU LEARNING?!
If I wanted to just watch youtube videos I would do that.

>>1914395
>t.350lb kung fu master
>>
Should I get a double or single mouth guard? Just started MMA and will get a custom one when I have the money
>>
>>1913606
Sounds like you have a good instructor! I had no idea judo had such extensive ground work to compete with a bjj brown belt
>>
>>1914421
As if light sparring is going to give anyone brain damage, people are such soft faggots these days jesus christ
>>
>>1915312
Depends on the dojo. Some instructors ignore newaza, others don't.
>>
>>1914590
Similar question

Are stock mouth guards terrible? I'd get a custom one if I had the money but I don't plan on fighting for a long while. I just started
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.