[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ECW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: nbzsdvYC8d1sdqajoo1_400.gif (2MB, 270x203px) Image search: [Google]
nbzsdvYC8d1sdqajoo1_400.gif
2MB, 270x203px
Did anybody else here grow up watching this?
What do you guys think of them?
I'm talking about ECW before Vince assraped it out of existence with it's reboot.
For me it's what made the 90's awesome.
WCW and WWF were just too damn cartoonish sometimes
>>
No
my parents raised me correctly
>>
The majority of this board wasn't even alive in 2001.
>>
>>1869294
I was obsessed with ECW as a kid

I used to think anything that doesn't have people going through tables and taking head shots with chairs wasn't good. Now it's the opposite
>>
>>1869294
Yeah, I grew up watching ECW. Too young to watch the early years but saw 98 onwards.
Rob Van Dam was unmissable during that time, and Raven honestly seemed like the coolest guy on the planet.
Still collect the old dvds on ebay for nostalgia, some of the shows were great.
Watched The Doctor is In for the first time yesterday, fun show.
>>
ECW remains the greatest thing I've ever seen. Back in the dial up days when it was hard to get things and all you had was wrestling mags and shit posts on AOL and bullentin boards, ECW was the greatest thing ever,

As a young teenager when ECW was at it's peak, it was the greatest thing I've ever seen. Sabu and RVD were the two best acts in all of wrestling. It irritates the fuck out of me when young fags talk shit about Sabu.
>>
>>1869294
WWE/ECW>Heyman/ECW
>>
File: 02_Shane_ECW.jpg (249KB, 642x722px) Image search: [Google]
02_Shane_ECW.jpg
249KB, 642x722px
My second memory of wrestling was a Raven and Tommy Dreamer promo, that had nirvana playing in the backround, From there i loved it. I was real young too, like 3. I live in NY so in the 90's we had these things called "hotboxes" that just let us steal Cable and PPV. And my dad would tape all those shitty ECWtv promo shows, where they just showed clips of houseshows and styles talking. But the PPV's were great. ECW is probably up there with early FMW, Mid 90s AJPW, AJW as being a revolutionary company. I'm sad i never got to actually see a ECW show in the elks lodge near me in queens but my pops took me to one of those reunion shows there after the company died.
>>
Annoying they don't have the music on the ECW PPVs on the network. I used to buy the VHS tapes back in the day though, I loved ECW. It had better wrestling matches than the other two promotions and of course the hardcore stuff. Classics like RVD/Lynn then New Jack stapling someones head or jumping twenty feet off scaffolding.
>>
I got into it with Hardcore Revolution coming out in 2000 when I was 14.
I hadn't heard of ECW until Gamesmaster did a multi-page feature for the game which included some background info on the company. It seemed neat so I got the game, was blown away by the intro and the characters, and started watching it on Sky whenever it showed up in the Bravo channel listings, and picked up the odd DVD that made it to stores.

As I only caught the twilight years on TV when it was running parallel with late-Attitude Era WWF, I enjoyed it for what it was but it was only when I started buying the DVDs of past events, that it sunk in just how long ECW had been at that gritty level while I'd been occupied with 90s WWF/WCW, how many recognisable stars had performed there before gaining more mainstream notoriety, and how impactful the company had been on the industry.
Too late to fully appreciate it at the time, not late enough to not be bummed out by its closure, the awful handling of the Invasion angle, and the thoroughly disappointing resurrection of the show as a WWE satellite.
>>
>>1869381
Stop projecting.
>>
Loved it

First match I saw was Lynn vs RVD on a vhs I randomly found at a big lots. Got on the dial up for more and was blown away. Sabu is still one of my favorite wrestlers.
>>
>>1869294

I watched it on TNN during its brief run there. The biggest thing to me was the intensity of the bumps the wrestlers took. It was a level beyond what you saw on WCW and WWF at the time, and those companies were a lot stiffer then than the WWE is now. Mike Awesome just fucking drilled people with the Awesome Bomb. RVD kicked people's heads off.

The other thing I always noticed was the intensity of the crowds, and the loud chanting that was still a novelty at the time.

But then there were some dumb things like Spike Dudley squashing two guys twice his size at once. My dad sat down to watch some ECW once and the first match he saw was a Spike Dudley match, and it was the last ECW match he saw. It ruined him for the whole company.

As a whole the entire company always felt more "with it" than any wrestling company that has existed, but there was also the notion from the fans that they trusted Paul E. to deliver one amazing thing after another even if the concept didn't sound so good on paper. NXT has had a moment or two like this, but they are much farther between.
>>
ECW marks were the Full Sail of the 90s
>>
When I was in middle school around the mid 90s I would randomly catch it from a bootleg satellite my uncle had, that was during the time they used alot of weapons from the audience and it blew my mind. I became interested in it enough to start getting the PPVs when they rolled out around 96 or 97. Sabu and RVD were my favorites, I remember marking out like a sperg lord when Hayabusa, Shinzaki, Masato Tanaka and Mike Awesome showed up. Those first two Tanaka vs Awesome matches in ECW are still some of the best matches of all time IMO. I also loved Bam Bams run in ECW and Tazz. I never got why Shane Douglas was their golden heel, he was only good for doing promos and heating up a crowd, which I thought Raven did better.
>>
>>1870383
If you mean they had the most fun out of any wrestling audience during that time, sure.
>>
>>1870385
If you're into Hayabusa, Tanaka and Awesome you should really check out some FMW stuff if you haven't already.
>>
>>1869415
this

seems like one of those things that you look back at and remember it being WAY more (mike) awesome when you were younger; at least for me anyways.
>>
>>1870416
Yep, ECW got me into FMW and japanese wrestling in general. Back in those days computer video formats were shit and hardly anybody had the speed to download whole shows or even matches. Instead there was a dedicated tape trading and selling community to get your pro wrestling fix. I think a fan made History of FMW and IWA Japan death matches was one of the first tapes I got.
>>
>>1870383
ECW fans were an angry mob, full sail is a bunch of whiny sheep. ECW fans never tried to hijack the show to make it about themselves. They always did it in context to the show, like chanting how dawn Marie was a crack whore. They also never chanted "this is awesome" and "you deserve it". The closest thing to compare the ECW crowd to is PWG. And even that isn't a fair comparison.
>>
>>1870435
>ECW fans never tried to hijack the show to make it about themselves
>literally went to a WWE show to chant ECW
>>
>>1870439
I'm saying in context to ECW you stupid idiot
>>
>>1870442
no one cares about how people act at outlaw shows

its about how outlaw fans act when they're in the big leagues
>>
>>1870439
ECW fans chanting ECW in another promotion makes complete sense tho. They were so dedicated to their favorite promotion they were trying to get it over in a larger promotion that was generally seen as their enemy. Thats getting a promotion over, not yourselves.
>>
>>1870435
ECW fans were like the 4chan trolls of the 90's
For a while they could make or break someone
>>
>>1870457
>ECW marks thinking they were relevant.
kek
>>
>>1870532
They were so relevant they got the biggest Booker in the States to dedicate an entire ppv to them, a sequel ppv and then a terrible TV show on scifi, but a show none the less. And even after WWE ruined the brand, people still chant ECW to this fucking day.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.