[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ Martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 60

Martial Arts General

Previous thread: >>>1783442

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
More to come
>>
File: 1472465802341.gif (25KB, 658x430px) Image search: [Google]
1472465802341.gif
25KB, 658x430px
First also let's get this thread rolling.
>What time of gym do you train at
>how long
>physical stats
>average out of practice training
>what makes your gym unique or cool
>how cool is your instructor
>>
>>1852838
I train aikido, I'm a fat fuck, ask me anything.
>>
File: Texas Method - Judo Split.png (108KB, 760x662px) Image search: [Google]
Texas Method - Judo Split.png
108KB, 760x662px
What do you guys think of this Texas Method template to supplement my Judo? I want to get some strength ready for a competition in January. I'm thinking of swapping out the cleans for powercleans again.
>>
>>1853432
It's either this programme or W4SB.
>>
>>1853387
Why are you satisfied being a living stereotype?
>>
Last time I touched martial arts, I was 14 years old. I DID win gold medals at the east coast competition, but I gave up soon after because I was a fucking lazy faggot.
>>
>>1853387
You ever had friends interested in it?
>>
File: littledragon.png (2MB, 1399x2500px) Image search: [Google]
littledragon.png
2MB, 1399x2500px
>>1852838
>Use to learn judo/bjj/mma for a year
>later learned at a gracie dojo, stopped though
>170 lb, 5'11, good
>practice kicks and jabs everyday
>The gyms I trained at are good and professional

I want to learn some JKD but I don't want to get mcdojo'd
>>
>>1854052
JKD is illusory Bruce lee worship, if you are training at any gym calling itself JKD then you are getting McDojoed. If you wanna learn the real JKD go back to an MMA gym.
>>
>>1854072
Common misconception. JKD is a personal martial art intended only as a tool, but it would be nice to be able to learn from his students, and learn some of the kung fu that a already mashed and modernized by him.

>if you are training at any gym calling itself JKD then you are getting McDojoed

I highly doubt silva or the other pro mma fighters are getting mc dojoed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ufc/article-3505285/Anderson-Silva-takes-training-session-Bruce-Lee-s-legendary-Master-Dan-Inosanto-bid-return-winning-ways-UFC-198.html
>>
>>1854072
Also JKD has a spiritual and philosophical aspect to it that is not seen in mma often.
>>
File: 3.png (106KB, 420x528px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
106KB, 420x528px
>>1854072
Another thing, Although the JKD that Lee used was a personal mash up of the kung fu and other martial art he learned, it would be nice to learn what he already mashed up and modernized.

shaolin Kung Fu, Choy Li Fut, wing chun, tan tui, jie quan would be very interesting to learn when modernized by Lee.

And you are right if bruce lee as alive he would be learning grappling and participating in MMA. MMA is good but I believe there should be a deeper philosophical meaning in it
>>
>>1854052
Get the book. Tao of JKD. It's compiled from Bruce's notes so you know you're not getting any third-hand bullshit.
>>
So I moved back in with my brothers to help him take care of his kids. He works the graveyard shift so I end up picking them up from school so he doesn't have to get up. I've been looking to do some tai-chi in my spare time while they do homework. How long does it usually take to run through the basic 12 forms? Does anyone know?
>>
>>1854793
I would learn from somewhere and get the basic form. If not watch some youtube stuff and try to get the chi flowing from that and meditating

Learning from somewhere is the best thing you can do, if you do that and get the basic form down you can practice by yourself, but for now you should learn the basic mechanic from someone.
>>
>>1854371
Yeah I have been reading it recently, thanks for the recommendation
>>
File: protip.png (357KB, 678x578px) Image search: [Google]
protip.png
357KB, 678x578px
>>1854072
Gonna have to agree with this anon.
While, yeah, there's been a couple instances of successful schools and practitioners, most advertised as JKD tend to be pretty bullocks, plus MMA basically follows a similar train of thought, in regards to mixing techniques, anyway and allows for a convenient testbed for whatever chimera ya end up constructing. There is however, as >>1854108 said, some interesting philosophy you can skim from Lee's books if anything.
I would recommend getting into shape with some weights, then powering through as much contact sport and street fight analysis you can find to give yourself a reasonable tactic base and then actually joining a gym. Found it to provide more motivation through demonstrated interest, but that might just be me.
And appending OP's youtube list with LeeWylie1 and Rusalka Afterglow; and the resource list with Modern Judo Volumes 1-2, as they're available online.
>>
>>1855434
Well I have a background in judo/bjj and muay thai, the meme martial arts of today. What I need is balance and stability, something the east can provide. I would like to learn some kung fu I am sure it has worth
>>
>>1855590
Then do some fucking kung or meditate. You should be getting that shit from martial arts in general anyways, unless the places suck or you're thickheaded.
>>
>>1855859
Kung Fu stresses stability and balance more than anyone one else. Do you go to Walmart for your steaks?
>>
>>1855434
Bezerk is entry level faggot trash shit.
>>
>>1854259
>but I believe there should be a deeper philosophical meaning
Anyone can attach deep philosophical meaning to anything.
Everything either does, or doesn't, have philosophical meaning.
It's up to the individual to make meaning.

Perhaps, everything is meaningless, if it's up to the individual to create meaning upon things.

Perhaps, everything is so meaningful that the attachments of meaning, placed upon mere humans with mere human intelligence, are extremely miniscule and primitive compared to the meaning actually in existence.
>>
File: 1472763000760.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1472763000760.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>1852982
>>What time of gym do you train at
Parkour is a martial art, and you don't need to confine yourself to a gym to practice Parkour.

Parkour is not just about efficiency, it's not just about movement; Parkour is about freedom.

Parkour is about freedom from your environment.

One should be free from one's world, let alone one's own damn gym. It's not even one's gym, it's a gym that one trains in.

Who the fuck needs that rigid bullshit?

Martial arts is bigger than some stupid fucking gym, or even hundreds of fucking gyms.

Martial arts is more than some Boxing bullshit, or some combination of bullshit.

Martial arts is vast; martial arts is many; martial arts is free.
>>
>>1856011
>It's up to the individual to make meaning.

There is a lack of individuals in the current martial art/mma scene right now that bring philosophy or meaning to the martial art world. Mostly I see belts and trash talking, no one really trying to philosophize and grow on that level.

>Everything either does, or doesn't, have philosophical meaning.

Probably both. Everything does and doesn't have meaning.

>everything is so meaningful that the attachments of meaning, placed upon mere humans with mere human intelligence, are extremely minuscule and primitive compared to the meaning actually in existence

Often in the east you see the comparison of the smallest things with the biggest things in the universe. The weak and unimportant overcominga the strong. From stuff like koans, to Taoist writings it is prevalent.
>>
>>1856205
The philosophy of parkour has been compared to that of martial arts. In an interview with The New Yorker, David Belle acknowledges the influence: "There's a quote by Bruce Lee that's my motto: 'There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. A man must constantly exceed his level.' If you're not better than you were the day before, then what are you doing—what's the point?"
>>
>>1849789
I wish, it was during sparring
>>
>>1852982
>MMA
>Since it opened in April, but I've been training since 2013
>6'1 200 73"
>Don't train out of practice really
>Cardio kickboxing has sparring
>Coach is double black belt, judo and BJJ. Got 3rd in a national judo competition and trained with his country's olympic team.
>>
>>1855590
Well, what do you mean by "balance"?
And in case you're curious, Lee's Eastern influence was predominantly Wing Chun, a video of which is available online by Master Wong.
>>
File: IllPonderIt.gif (71KB, 416x601px) Image search: [Google]
IllPonderIt.gif
71KB, 416x601px
Does anyone remember that guy who was cutting weight for a fight he was going to have on a saturday? He wrote an entire story about ruining a familiar reunion by not eating what the granny cook for him.

Now, he said he was recording his fight, does anyone remember him? Does anyone heard anything else about him? Did he uploaded that film? Are you even there, anon?
>>
>>1856498
I have poor balance for doing certain kicks and just in general, I need to work on it. Doing slow calisthenic movements always makes me me feel better and more stable after. I should probably take tai chi but then other kung fu can help.

Master Wong? Full name?
>>
>>1852838
What anime
>>
>>1853387
How do you feel knowing everything you do and train is fake.
>>
>>1856647
If I'm correct, it's a magical girl series. If you're into that I'm pretty sure its one of the Nanoha series.
>>
File: sad_frog[1].jpg (7KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
sad_frog[1].jpg
7KB, 316x202px
>>1856647
>>1857096
Correct, the series is the newest one in the Nanoha franchise, Vivid strike! (Don't forget the exclamation symbol, is very important) I honestly have no idea what's about it, but I saw the gif on /a/ and remind me here.

Also:
>tfw a loli have better punching technique than you
>>
>>1855859
>>1855890
>he didn't learn stability and balance from judo

You're either lying about your background or didn't train for more than a week.
>>
>>1857780
I have had feet problems since I was little so its always been an issue for me.
>>
>>1853892
Thankfully, I've started it only a month ago, so I'm not one of the fat hakama dudes, yet.

>>1853988
Nah, I don't have friends.

>>1856763
Well, I wanted to learn some sort of martial art, and I had aikido dojo relatively close to me, so there I go. The relatively short recon I did was that they were training in Nishio style, which seems to be the most legit style (of aikido) around here, so that was a plus as well.
>>
>>1858184
><The relatively short recon I did was that they were training in Nishio style, which seems to be the most legit style (of aikido) around here, so that was a plus as well.

Aikidoka here. Having the most "legit" Aikido style is like having the most "authentic" Italian pasta at Olive Garden. It's a neat martial art but it still has severely limited use.
>>
>>1858228
Might be, the only thing that I can say from my own experience is different is that nobody in the joint is fat, unlike in the aikikai and ki-aikido places.
>>
Guys, I want to get into MMA, I'm currently learning BJJ and want to pick up a striking art, my 2 options are muay thai or ITF style taekwondo. Now I really love the style of kicks used in taekwondo, the spinning heel kicks, hook kicks, front kicks etc. but I know most people see taekwondo as being ver ineffective. So I was wondering should I just do muay thai and try to teach myself some of the interesting technical kicks from tkd along the way. Help would be appreciated
>>
>>1856605
Just youtube master wong youll find him, bald angry looking chinese dude
>>
>>1858945
If you're over 8 years old, which you better be if you're on this board, you should go with Muay Thai because you're already out of time to learn TKD well enough for it to be useful in MMA.
>>
>tfw went in and signed up for a membership at an MMA Gym

I'm nervous guys. I told them I don't have any experience but I'm still intimidated ;_;
>>
>>1859188
Fair enough, I'm 22 so youre probably right. But would I be able to learn to implement some flashy kicks alongside muay thai myself? Really just the spinning heel kick to the head and the front snap kick
>>
>>1859188
>>1859340
Shut the hell up, you idiots. Modern Kickboxing already has TKD in it and Kickboxing is useful as fuck even in modern MMA. Any truly Modern Muay Thai Already has the spinning heel kick. The front snap kick is so basic unless you're an idiot, you don't need a whole damn marital art to learn it.
>>
>>1859308
Nobody shows up to their first gym a black belt.
>>
>>1858991
Found him thanks
>>
File: Flow_Chart.png (2MB, 1024x4521px) Image search: [Google]
Flow_Chart.png
2MB, 1024x4521px
>>1858945
Just pick a non meme striking art and train. The teacher is more important than the art.
>>
>>1860687
that graph is >>>/trash/
>>
>>1860687
And I thought /asp/ was bad.
>>
>>1860687
>Do you want to win a fight? --> Yes ---> Ameridote
>Fucking dropped like a burning potato.

Is this some sort of "you cringe, you lose" bait or something? C'mon, this is just awful.
>>
>>1856205
I think the joke of parkour being a french martial art because it's the art of running away is being misconstrued that people think it actually is a martial art

if it isn't about killing people it isn't a martial art
>>
>>1860939
butthurt as fuck
>>
>>1860967
>if it isn't about killing people it isn't a martial art
lol do you actually think that's what a martial art is?
>>
>>1856282
>The philosophy of parkour has been compared to that of martial arts.
Not all martial arts are the same. The philosophy has been compared to that of some martial arts. But in the end, it's all martial arts.
>>
>>1856215
>Everything does and doesn't have meaning.
It might depend on the definition of meaning. It's funny because we must ask "what is the meaning of meaning?"

English grammar is so stupid, especially when it comes to quotes.
>>
>>1856515
I remember that faggot. He should stop being a faggot and fucking post his shit.
>>
>>1860047
>Any truly Modern Muay Thai Already has the spinning heel kick

This statement is beyond retarded. The spinning back heel kick is a traditional Muay Thai move. You won't see it modern Muay Thai matches because of how the scoring works now.
>>
>>1860939
Are you literally retarded? Its obviously dumb humor that I won't call good, bit we've always had those. This shitty chart focuses too much on trying to be funny, but it really isn't that bad, especially since most are usually pretty barebones.
>>
>>1861187
"Art of Mars"
>>
>>1860939
>implying everything other than ameridote isn't bullshit

https://youtu.be/gyXhysmMNhE
>>
>>1861203
Yeah just like the tornado kick is a traditional boxing move.
>>
I went to try out a closer bjj class and went to a free class at a gracie barra school i felt so awkward no one was my age (19) everyone was either an adult in their 30s or a kid should i just train at a place that is further but i feel like i fit in to (also the owner wanted a group pic with everyone it made it more awkward)
>>
>>1862321
It's unfortunate that you understand nothing about the history and current practice of the sport of Muay Thai. I'm glad that we have so many internet experts around here.
>>
>>1862352
It's not about what people look like on the outside, it's about who they are on the inside.

Not everybody should be like you. Suck up your shit and grow the fuck up.
>>
Starting MMA

What should my macros and caloric intake be? Not trying to lose weight
>>
>>1861187
quite explicitly as a matter of fact
>>
File: 1475973516783.webm (3MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1475973516783.webm
3MB, 640x640px
>>1860687
This graph lacks the south east Asia martial arts,
But it's fun nonetheless. Some sarcastic joke should be easy to find.
Q&A at the end are quite acurate.
>>
Why did Saenchai and Buakaw never fight? (they didn't right?)
>>
Test
>>
I can't take these wwe fags anymore /genocide/ when?
>>
>>1862411
Thats not what i meant i'm just gonna go to the further place that i fit into
>>
>>1862352
>Be 15 years old.
>Join my first full contact gym.
>All are older, around the 20-30, taller and heavier.
>Get punched a lot.
>"Lol, this is the intermediate class, there's an advanced class one hour earlier if you want to join us".
>Try it, be punched even harder.

>Years later.

>Join a new place.
>Fight along with people around my age and younger.
>They are amazed I can take hits on the face and chest without flinching.
>"Oh, c'mon, I barely touched you."
>The instructor warned me to take it easy.

Point is, assuming both places are equally good at actually training, you can choose to test your limits and grow up a pair and eventually grow in every aspect of your life: have a stronger body, a stronger will, and overall a stronger technique. Or jump into the ez mode, and keep at your level forever and ever more.

You can to be the small fish on a big tank (which would force you to develop the skills to survive in it), or the big fish in a small tank, which more likely will lead into mediocrity.

However, as I said, is all about the place and your personal goals. If you're doing it for fun and don't plan to go to tournaments and such, go ahead and pick the place where you fit better. If you want to be a stronger and more competitive fighter, pick the place where you face the bigger and more experienced fighters.

However, avoid mcdojos at all costs.
>>
why are all the "Martial artists" weeboos? I join my karate club in Uni and most of the guys there are weebs, they even got me watching some JoJo. Fuck
>>
>>1864380
Thats a different scenario those people are better at the gym you went to first these people are the same level the gym is just closer the further gym is just as good and i get along with everyone at he closer one i feel awkward and out of place everyone is either 13 or in their late 30s mid 40s
>>
>>1864462
They are adults, you are adult, you are all there to fight. What is there to feel awkward about?
>>
>>1864483
The other gym is adults too and idk the whole thing was awkward me standing for 60% of the class was awkward the owner wanting a group pic including me was awkward
>>
>>1864386
YARE YARE DAZE
>>
>>1852982>What time of gym do you train at
University Judo Club, MMA and BJJ gym
>how long
Judo 4 years, BJJ 2 years, MMA 1 year (stopped due to head injuries hindering academics)
>physical stats
5'11 178, 405 Diddly, 315 squat, 145 overhead, don't bench, 21:10 5k
Lifting 3 times a week (I do the conditioning program my uni's d1 wrestlers do) along with 6+practices a week
My university club is ran by this guy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyu_Ha_Kim#cite_ref-1
and his sons and grandsons, I started as a white belt there almost 4 years ago, am now a blue belt, and have just won the brown belt division in a major D level tournament
His mustache is unrivaled, and he has bred sons who have ridiculous strength, speed, and agility.
>>
>>1864363
Bitch ass pussy.
>>
>>1864462
>these people are the same level
How do you know?
>>
>>1864939
>Head injuries hindering academics
How hard were you sparring? You shouldn't be getting rocked so often that it impairs your thinking all the time my dude
>>
File: post of stupid.jpg (144KB, 1892x375px) Image search: [Google]
post of stupid.jpg
144KB, 1892x375px
>But not impossible, and even if it was blocking is the least desirable method of defense. Don't eat what you can block, but don't block what you can parry and don't parry what you can avoid altogether. If you had any real experience boxing tou would know this.

This is one of the most stupid things I've ever read and it's funny because it's coming from Boxing.

Boxing is a faggot who expends all of that unnecessary energy to muh epic dodge a light slappy tappy jab when he could've just parried or blocked that attack without having to do shit. If he parried that attack, he'd be able to take advantage of his opponent's arm being out of position. But Boxing is so narrow minded he can't even admit his weaknesses. Instead of being a decently smart fighter, he has to spend all that time exercising to compensate for his weak and primitive utilization of technique and movement. Boxing wasn't as good at blocking and parrying so he has to constantly show off his head movement skills and footwork to try to remind himself and justify to himself his inability to adapt. His footwork isn't even that great to begin with.

Boxing is a guy who'd rather hammer in a nail with the grip of his screw driver because he's so good at using a screwdriver instead of just fucking using a damn hammer which was made for that shit.

He's so stuck in his bullshit that he can't even start to mix up what he's good at (evading attacks) with everything else to make him a more intelligent, more sophisticated, and less predictable fighter.
He just has to use his head movement because he's so good at it even though everybody knows he's going to use head movement again and will get rocked because of it. He just has to keep using that head movement even though it leaves him opened to get his shit literally kicked in or slammed into the damn planet.
>>
>>1864939
>>1866044
>You shouldn't be getting rocked so often that it impairs your thinking all the time my dude
This. Work on your striking defense, fool.
>>
>>1866446
>this nigga thinks it takes a lot of energy to move your head out of the way

how easily winded are you?
>>
>>1865901
You're right i have no idea these people can even be worse than the further school but i'm gonna go to the further school because there is much more mat space where everyone can roll at the same time.
>>
>>1865890
So i'm a pussy for not wanting to go to a gym where i don't fit in you're an idiot.
>>
>>1852838
MC of this show feels like CM Punk.
>>
>>1867171
Ugh yeah i guess but what are you gonna do in the lockeroom genuinely interested will you go with the females because they'll be literally naked and they wouldn't want you in there
>>
>>1865890
>>1862411

>Bitch ass pussy.
>Suck up your shit and grow the fuck up.

Douche alert
>>
>>1867171
How about not changing your body into an abomination?
>>
>>1867084
You're a pussy because your jimmies are so rustled. by everybody at the gym not being lik you, you would spend your time, effort and whatever else to travel further for what you think is the same quality gym. You're going to waste your life going further to train when fitting in is stupid and shouldn't matter. A gym is about bettering yourself through the development of skill and exercise, it's not about having a hip and young boy band to dance around with on mats next to punching bags.
>>
>>1868553
Sounds like you're projecting a bit.
>>
>>1863865
A-anyone knows?
Also recommand fav mt fights.
>>
Shit guys. I am finally starting my mma journey. I am going to a Renzo Gracie gym for a (free) class to feel it out. Help me out here, is RG a meme gym or will I really learn what I need to?
>>
File: polaris.jpg (75KB, 958x640px) Image search: [Google]
polaris.jpg
75KB, 958x640px
>>1868888
> is RG a meme gym
Test it by yourself, even if I doubt you'll get RG himself.
Usually they're good, very good.
quads of truth tell that if you want it, you'll love it.
It depends on the instructor and the schedule mainly
>>
File: sad_pepe.jpg (68KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
sad_pepe.jpg
68KB, 500x365px
All I want is to learn Sambo but there are no schools near me.
>>
>>1869064
It's not Sambo, but you could do judo, do MMA and tell them you want to focus on your Judo, or maybe try to find an MMA gym that does gi MMA training. It's plenty of fun even if it's not Sambo.
>>
>>1866730
>how easily winded are you?
It's not about getting tired, but across the span of a fight, that's part of it, too. It's about bad craftsmanship of a fight. It's just a waste of energy, and that's poor form.
>>
>>1866730
Give up, man.

By the way it writes, it sounds like it's the cuck fetishist who was spamming previous threads with advice on how to do everything wrong. Evidently, have no meaningful training at all, and is just trying to stir shit.

On previous threads it's shit was deleted on spot, so I wouldn't be surprised if had to stop using a nickname to identify itself, and stop talking about his cuckold fetish so he don't get banned once again. We get it, it joined a mma gym to meet people willing to fuck the landwhale it have for gf, but we don't need to heard once again about it.
>>
>>1869210
Nice shitpost b8.
>>
>>1869064
i feel the same way with catch i want to learn it so badly but its hard to find. All the good stuff that isnt water down bullshit (IE judo with the olympics and BJJ etc) is hard to find while the crap water stuff is to common
>>
>>1866446
fuck that was a kek of a read
you are PROPER fucking dumb dude
>>
File: smug.jpg (98KB, 378x485px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
98KB, 378x485px
>>1852982
>BJJ gym

>2 years freestyle wrestling, 5.5 years jiu jitsu (purple belt)

>175cm (5'9"), 70" reach, 73kg

>elliptical for cardio, and a weight routine/ agility drills for wrestling
Just on my own, the gym is mostly drills and rolling and not focused on conditioning

>knowledgeable and passionate grappling instructors, daily training
we do freestyle wrestling, leg locks, and no gi.

>head jiu jitsu guy can be a bit of a shill
other than that they're pretty chill guys, who want to pass on their knowledge above all else

I bet I could heem the lot of you nerds
>>
I recently got my first black belt in karate and I'm looking for a martial art that will complement it. I trained in go-ryu/soft-hard style karate.
>>
>>1869981
Judo.
>>
>>1869981
Just do MMA. It's like Goju but you focus on stuff you didn't focus on in Goju.
>>
>>1868914

Yeah I need to check the schedule to see if I can do it between work and school.
>>
>>1868888(checked)
RG gyms are not a "meme gym" Just try it out, you are almost guaranteed a decent teacher
>>
>>1870049
Yeah, like actually learning how to fight
>>
File: no.gif (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
17KB, 200x200px
>>1869981
"get rid of your classical karate"
>>
File: 1475333714724.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1475333714724.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>1852982
>What time of gym do you train at
BJJ/MMA/KB
>how long
15 years
>physical stats
192cm, 97kg
3.5 times a week + conditioning or yoga once
no dumbfucks, spazz, ego trip, wannabepro, mariabjj.
What happen in [insert location here] stays in [insert location here] was our motto while travelling for bjj. Now all the bb have women and/or children and have to go lone wolf if they don't want to get caught.
>>
>>1870788
What training do you do?
>>
>>1870854
BJJ, gi mostly.
>>
Im this guy >>1868888
Fuck it felt good for my first time, even though I felt like an idiot trying to just muscle my way through things. What are some good fitness routines for BBJ? Should I still try to hit the weights or should I focus on cutting?
>>
>>1870913
Personally I do weights twice a week, bjj twice a week and muay thai once a week, the cardio I get from training is enough for me
>>
>>1854052

The physical feats are all bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObGLTfJa1w Bruce Lee punching a "heavy" bag. Do you think he could make a 300 pound version thump the ceiling with anything?

He was a movie actor who spouted bullshit he learned in a state college philosophy program he never graduated from and cloaked it in Oriental mysticism because he knew roundeye rubes would lap it up and you still are.
>>
>>1870974
Damn those are some sloppy ass punches
>>
File: runing basics f.jpg (2MB, 2084x4576px) Image search: [Google]
runing basics f.jpg
2MB, 2084x4576px
>>1870913
Mostly calisthenics, because bjj greatest gift is to be able to do it till you're 60 and more.
If you don't do yoga, start it, it will help you to learn about your own body in 2 way mostly:
1. How to become more flexible.
2. Learn to breath.
BJJ beginner routine,
For conditioning: try crossfit cindy, it is an old an proven way to test your actuall fitness.
Basic C25K, when you're done with it: hillsprints all the way baby.
Brupees, pull-up, bridges, muscle-up.
>>
>>1871002

What kind of yoga? Some youtube vids or an actual place?
>that routine
How /fit/ do you have to get for bbj? They told me the training alone is a great work out.
>>
>>1871149
The training alone IS a great workout especially if you're rolling hard, but if youre hoping to compete you should definitely bump up your cardio to giveyhourself an edge.
Weight training never hurt anybody's game either, strength can be a serious advantage if 2 fighters are evenly matched. I'd recommend picking up a gym membership or if you can't afford that grab a couple kettlebells and study some form on YouTube.
>>
>>1871165
Personally I think kettlebells are the best tools for fighters, I do a kettlebell strength and power workout every day alongside training and its improved my strength and explosiveness on the mat a heap, not to mention I'm in much better shape than I was when I was doing a strict barbell strength routine
>>
Anyone from North Carolina here? I'm looking to get into MMA and I've narrowed my gym search to 3 gyms and I need help deciding between them.
Triangle Jiujitsu:
http://trianglejiujitsu.com/

Pendergrass Academy of Martial Arts:
http://www.bjjnc.com/

United Thai Boxing and MMA:
http://unitedthaiboxing.com/
>>
>>1871272
“Give me 2 weeks… and I'll teach you how to take down anyone - of any size - while getting you in the best shape of your life… Guaranteed.”

Yea nah fuk Pendergrass Academy of Martial Arts, their whole website is a meme
>>
>>1871165
I am going to the basic gym, but as >>1871192
mentioned I might try a calisthenics and kettlebell routine. Do you guys have an /fit/ macros by any chance?
>>
>>1871293
Well I find calisthenics and kettlebell training a lot easier to handle alongside lots of technique training. When i was doing a barbell routine that consisted mostly of squats, deadlifts bench and overhead press I was absolutely drained all the time and barely had the energy to go to training sessions alongside working a full time job.
>>
>>1868656
A little. My training partners and coaches didn't want to coordinate outfits and make a fighting themed dance music video in the gym.
>>
>>1870974
Listen there is not a lot of video but the best martial artist of his time sparred with him and learned a lot from him. He as the first one to promote mma as much as he did, he went to Hollywood to show how he thought martial arts should have been which as mma. Legendary fighter. The best in his time according to gene lebell.

He could take Oyama, or any of the other martial artist of his time. Dont fool yourself he was the best.
>>
>>1871438
If you think bruce lee could take oyama you are delusional, im not even a karate guy but fuck man oyama would crush bruce
>>
>>1871451
No karate man could ever beat a mma fighter, lee easily takes this
>>
File: 1474249525286.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474249525286.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
where do I find more webms like pic related

/asp/ is the board for mma right
>>
>>1871529
>im not even a karate guy but

You have no idea what you are talking about. This is the only footage of Oyama fighting.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpcaowUp0g
>>
>>1871459
Lee wasnt an mma fighter lmao, his grappling skills were a joke and that video of him working the heavy bag was just sad
>>
>>1871546
I too can post videos of professional athletes looking "sloppy". Look at Oyamas footage. He looks like steve segal.

Lee most definitely was an mma fighter. His judo/jujitsu was not weak at all.
>>
>>1871566
Fighter implies he ever fought anyone, as far as im aware theres no footage anywhere of Lee actually fighting.
>>
Can I learn multiple martial arts at the same time? I am doing Shotokan but I want to do something less basic, and I feel somewhat sad to recognize that most people training there aren't even that good.
>>
>>1871583
Lee was on his high school boxing team and was a known street fighter. That is why his style is actually realistic.
>>
Is the traditionnal muay thai stance still revelant? I'm kind of a beginner and our coach seems to teach a stance that's closer to boxing. Which, in my head, seem safer...any advantage of the traditional muay thai stance over boxing stance?
>>
>>1871597
A known streetfighter cmon man, I'm not saying he wasnt a good martial artist but even if his undefeated street fight record was true it doesnt really mean a whole lot. Beating up untrained people on the street isnt that difficult.
>>
>>1871594
You can indeed, I'd recommend learning a grappling art if you're planning on sticking to karate as well as learning 2 striking arts simultaneously can be pretty confusing. Depends what your goals are I suppose
>>
>>1871594
Man I teach it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone trying to learn self-defense, pretty much every gym is focused on point-sparring and tournament katas, Judo fits very well though, Funakoshi was very inspired by it
>>
>>1871607
>Beating up untrained people on the street isnt that difficult.

In Hong Hong and the east the traditional way of fighting were challenge matches. People challenged dojos/masters ect. He didn't fight untrained people he fought other martial artists and masters.
>>
>>1871622
I'd have to look that up myself but if that's true then fair enough
>>
>>1871628
this can help you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Shun_Leung

Lee was anti bull shit in the martial art world, he use to publish articles in magazines against classical martial arts. According to Hayward Nishiok he was always training extremely hard for street combat.
>>
>>1871594
Man I don't want this to be an mmasperg out, but don't train something like that if you want practical technique. You could learn a grappling art if you want to do something else. 2 striking arts, especially a gook art, will get confusing.

>>1871622
Come on now. This is some larpy bullshit
>>
>>1871645
It absolutely is historical fact
>>
>>1871654

Citation needed. And no, a wiki article about some guy who """""supposedly won over 100 street fights"""""" doesn't do it for me.
>>
>>1871659
You want me to recommend you some books? Musashi, Oyama and Yuanjia is entry level stuff
>>
File: 1476479876692.jpg (48KB, 496x504px) Image search: [Google]
1476479876692.jpg
48KB, 496x504px
>people jumping around martial arts schools
>learning basic shit from every school
>trying to create some kind of unique supreme style of their own experience
>not just finding one good school
>not sticking with it for AT LEAST a decade and actually becoming a somewhat decent fighter
>only scratching the surface of the martial arts world

Y'all need to settle down. You're not some kind of special snowflake genius who's naturally talented enough to put their own effective shit together. If you were, you probably wouldn't be on this board in the first place.
>>
>>1871681
Also Mitsuyo Maeda.
>>
>>1871711
>learning 20 years of one thing and when time to put it into practice comes not having any noticeable difference compared to someone who did it for 5 years
>>
>>1871711
I am surprised no one knows martial art history here, its in the anime a lot
>>
>>1860687
Seriously? People still haven't figured out that sanda is just the sparring portion of kung fu?

ugh...
>>
>>1871283
Thanks friend. Do either of the other places jump out as a good place to train?
>>
File: lol.jpg (152KB, 1280x1381px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
152KB, 1280x1381px
>>1860687
>Concealed carry
>not useful in a real fight
>>
File: 1367198337151.png (176KB, 494x468px) Image search: [Google]
1367198337151.png
176KB, 494x468px
>>1871719
You what
>>
>>1871597
Lee wasn't actually on any boxing team. People have checked his high school and he had nothing to do with it whatsoever. There also isn't any proof that he was in any street fights.
>>
>>1871733
>>1871711
czhecked. If you watch martial art animes like Ruroni Kenshin or Ranma 1/2 it kind of explains the general dynamics of how things operated in the traditional martial art world.
>>
>>1871735
The encyclopedia says he was and his high school st francis xavier has a plaque dedicated to him
>>
File: LPNybr0.webm (2MB, 580x466px) Image search: [Google]
LPNybr0.webm
2MB, 580x466px
>>1871468
no
>>
File: gIjCUP9.jpg (315KB, 1632x1424px) Image search: [Google]
gIjCUP9.jpg
315KB, 1632x1424px
>>1860729
>>1860822
>>1860939

It's literally a variation of the old /asp/ chart
>>
>>1871735
>Lee entered the primary school division of La Salle College at the age of 12. In around 1956, due to poor academic performance (or possibly poor conduct as well), he was transferred to St. Francis Xavier's College (high school) where he would be mentored by Brother Edward, a teacher and coach of the school boxing team.

Taken from the world heritage encyclopedia.

>>1871733
No single man ever influenced anime as much as lee the martial artist
>>
>>1871468
/sp/ have a general for people who watch mma, I think. You might have better luck there
>>
File: 33Zy8na.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
33Zy8na.gif
1MB, 260x260px
>>1871468
>>
>>1871711
>If you were, you probably wouldn't be on this board in the first place.
How long did it take you to get your psychology and sociology degree? I bet you got your associate of science when you were 11 years old. How many hours did you spend planning, gathering the resources, coordinating, and conducting all of the extensive research it took you to come to such a sophisticated and educated conclusion?
>>
File: 1419232615174.gif (3MB, 330x190px) Image search: [Google]
1419232615174.gif
3MB, 330x190px
>>1871468
>>
File: 1419601675013.gif (349KB, 256x135px) Image search: [Google]
1419601675013.gif
349KB, 256x135px
>>1871468
hug
>>
File: 2u8e3jk.gif (3MB, 228x180px) Image search: [Google]
2u8e3jk.gif
3MB, 228x180px
>>1871468
giphy
>>
>>1871468
>>
File: 1474233165237.jpg (30KB, 696x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474233165237.jpg
30KB, 696x720px
>>1871791
>>
>>1866446
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
why do martial arts nerds feel the need to talk shit on boxing so much despite the fact that it's one of the simplest and most effective martial arts of it's kind? yes it's limited to striking with the fists but c'mon man it's a pretty good start

not to mention that it's one of the few sports where you'll get regular hard sparring (with very minor risk of injury too i might add), even MT dudes very rarely spar at regular speed
>>
>>1871910
Because martial arts is bullshit unless you mix a bunch of them up and deverop youru urtimate techniqueku!

It's the only way!

How else do you expect to survive in this world where everybody trains mma and bjj and challenges you to street fights all the time.
>>
>>1871973
Did anyone from this board actually fight each other?
>>
>>1872040
no clue
>>
>>1871910
Nobody is denying that Boxing has some useful moves, and nobody is denying that sparring is useful.
>>
>>1852982
>Judo
>3 years
>6', 235lbs
>lifting every other day
>Free if you volunteer to teach the kid class, birthday throws
>Very, is a chiropractor so he can fix minor injuries on the spot
>>
>>1872096
well some of the posters here are
>>1866446
>>1856205

>>1871973
yeah this stuff is retarded, like i get what they're saying but if you were learning martial arts purely for street fights (where do you live that this is actually an issue) for a start you're probably a dick and secondly ending up on the ground is pretty far from ideal man

just leg it imho
>>
>>1872111
And they're retards. This place is full of shitposters, the type of people who get made fun of and aren't even self aware about it, bait, and gullible fucks.
>>
>>1871730
I couldnt really tell just from their websites, I'd recommend going to both and seeing what the classes are like. Then pick whichever one seemed best to you
>>
http://thefightshopnz.com/content/uploads/2010/11/TIME-TABLE-TFSNZ.jpg
Thinking about doing BJJ Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, Muay Thai Tue, Thu and Wrestling on Wed
>>
File: 1474737730496.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474737730496.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1871149
An actual yoga studio is best. Just beware of the cult like places.
>>1871149
>How /fit/ do you have to get for bbj
bbj, I don't know, but bjj, you can start at 130kg.
I've seen a 128kg guy melt into a 98 kg guy in 13 months.
with some diet, but mostly being more active.
>They told me the training alone is a great work out.
Depends on what your objectives are. If you're in for fitness and you're less than 25, training alone is just enough. If you want to go to the next step, conditionning is a must. The older you start, the more you need to do yoga to get flexible and breath correctly.
>>1871192
I just bought two 20kg kb, what would you do with them.
>>1871293
For kb, I'm a noob. for calisthenic for bjj, I can help.
>>1871438
>He as the first one to promote mma as much as he did
No he wasn't.
Vale-tudo was a brazilian tradition when Lee was still in his father nutsack.
>>1871468
go to /sp/ and look for /heem/
>>
>>1866490
Not really rocking, but I personally don't get much out my training without continual sparring 3-4x a week and even if I get a headache that lasts a few hours, that's a few hours I'm away from studying and friends. Judo injuries just hurt my body, but I feel sharp instead of dull after practice.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9ea2nxT9g

what is your opinion about this faggot?
>>
File: 81606645.gif (1MB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
81606645.gif
1MB, 250x150px
>>1871566
>>1871546
>>1871438
Both Lee and Oyama were joke to the Brasil Vale-tudo scene.
It's like a nowday male amateur with a 2 fights streak win in 4 fights that want to go UFC.
>>1871597
Kimbo was also a street fighter...
>>1871784
Nice
>>
>>1873148
I usually start with basic strength exercises, double front squats, overhead press, floor press, rows/pull ups. Then I'll move on to explosive movements, usually I'll do 3 sets of snatches or clean and jerks followed by 5 minutes of swings.
I find this works well for me as I can get a lot done in a short amount of time, strength power and cardio.
>>
>>1873148
>>1873184
Make sure you look up proper form for these, especially the swings, clean+jerks and snatches. I see people doing these horribly in my bjj gym all the time
>>
>>1871711
That's essentially what an MMA gym is, people who plan to learn everything should just go to an MMA gym instead of hopping from place to place.

Everything will be put together properly for them, then if they like a certain aspect of fighting better then they can go to a different gym and specialize while still having general knowledge.

>>1860687
conceal carry is useful in a fight
>>
>>1873176
So he basically said that kung fu is a meme so MMA is not kung fu
>>
>>1873148
>>1873180

>Vale-tudo was a brazilian tradition when Lee was still in his father nutsack

I said promote, not participate in it. Of course he wasnt the first. No one before lee was challenging the classical Asian martial arts like him. You do understand that many consider his revamp in the martial art world, to be the cause of his death right?

Not only was he bringing the secrets of the orient to Hollywood, but he was demanding the structure should be changed, even going far to constantly publish news articles against it.
>>
>>1871192
I've heard kettles are good, and I'm in the middle of SS but I feel like something like kettles would be more appropriate. Does anon know how to modify SS for kettles to help a judoka?
>>
File: Martial Arts Flow Chart.jpg (705KB, 1632x1732px) Image search: [Google]
Martial Arts Flow Chart.jpg
705KB, 1632x1732px
>>1871751
Actually a variation on the new /asp/ chart
>>
>>1871594
Yes you can. Learn a takedown martial art and a grappling martial art and it will complement your striking.
If you add another striking art you start running into the master of none problem.
>>
File: 1328595845869.gif (2MB, 276x286px) Image search: [Google]
1328595845869.gif
2MB, 276x286px
>>1873176
I haven't even watch the video.
But the title says it all. They're sports. They're brutal and violent, but they're still sports with rules.
After watching it:
that guy is just hidding the fact that his ma is utter bullshit that bit the dust many times and didn't look at new ways to come to the top. It's is not even the second or third best at doing what he critisize the other to do.
His school of fighting is not good to learn to defend yourself. yoga as well than tai-chi for health and fitness physical and psychological.
All what he got left is the self improvement meme. If martial arts, were asshole filters, they wouldn't turn that often into sects or crime organisations...
He's delusional.
>>
>>1873295
Man imagine the anxiety the fat guy got
>>
File: 1351545785425.gif (3MB, 300x245px) Image search: [Google]
1351545785425.gif
3MB, 300x245px
>>1873188
Thanks, I will look up for those moves and someone to help me doing them right.
>>1873204
>You do understand that many consider his revamp in the martial art world
Yes, they were like bass in a pond fighting to show who was the biggest and strongest threat and ignored willingly that the river was flowing into the sea with great white sharks and killer whales a mile away.
>Only asians know how to fight! meme.
>>
>>1873308
No one is saying only asians can fight, did you girlfriend get fucked by chang thunderwang?
>>
File: 1450489250929.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
1450489250929.gif
1MB, 360x202px
>>1873299
It's woman, and they just don't care in Japan.
On average each year from 2010 to 2014, 4 under 18 kids die in Japan because of hardcore judo training method ...
They just don't care.
gif partially related, fit judo girl is fit.
>>
File: 1441940263300.gif (3MB, 224x168px) Image search: [Google]
1441940263300.gif
3MB, 224x168px
>>1873313
It is the bias they had by that time. Exagerating it a bit, nowdays bias is that everything other than mma is bullshit.
I don't know which one is worse.
>They removed stomps and soccer kick from ONE... the only thing that was making remotely as cool as ufc.
>>
>>1873326
Not trying to meme but I think the middle way is best, both sides have worth.
>>
>>1873295
I'm not sure what exactly was the fat guy thinking.

At one hand, I imagine he was annoyed at the little girl making obnoxious questions about his sport, and really wanted to shut her up.

And at the other hand, I imagine he tried to look like some kind of badass by performing a technique with full strength.

Either way, he certainly looks like a dumb jerk who was this close get his shit beaten.
>>
File: 1475334485222.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1475334485222.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>1873487
It's a woman,
It's japan.
She probably asked for it, or was part of the script.
>>
>>1873295
jiggas be trippin
>>
Bumperoni and cheese
>>
File: 200px-Neckbeards.png (51KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Neckbeards.png
51KB, 200x195px
>>1873496
>It's a woman,
>It's japan.
>She probably asked for it
>>
Hey looking at getting into boxing, could a wrist guard like pic related work as a substitute for boxing tape?
>>
>>1873243
If youre already doing SS for strength I'd suggest just adding explosive movements to the end of your workout, snatches, clean+jerk or swings
>>
>>1874708
Definitely not
>>
>22
>23 in first week of jan
>joined boxing gym last jan and have barely gone
OHHH FUUUUCK

im going to actually commit (without dropping it) this week. i build up my cardio pretty quick. do i still have a chance to be decently competitive at least the amateur level? once i do some work in boxing, i was thinking about checking mma out.

my boxing buddy from school (hes 25, boxing since forever and is real good) says since i didnt play a sport as a kid, im way behind (which is true) and that i need to do 4 days a week cardio at least to catch up. this is fine by me, in fact i plan to do 6 days cardio because i want to kick my ass to catch up from when i was supposed to really get on this (mid-september when i had my last "oh fuck" realization)...my metabolism is still great but i want to really get on this while i still have the advantage of regaining lost cardio quickly. im 5'11 and 170lbs. thoughts? im going to guess you're all going to say, like anything else, it's entirely up to me and i just need to finally do it. i feel like i'm squandering the health God gave me if i dont get in good shape now, gotta utilize this youthful body
>>
>>1875131
How come? are there any any alternatives to tape?
>>
>>1852982
>What type of gym do you train at
Boxing, Rocky-style in a black/mexican town. Me and my whitey gym mates are in the minority
>how long
Since last Jan but I suck ass and keep dropping committing to it after a solid week or two of going (usually don't make it past one)
>physical stats
5'11 170lbs, starting to get a gut which needs to go away
It's ripped out of Rocky
>how is cool is your instructor
hella. our first meeting when i was signing up we talked about religion, politics, and race. he spat some opinions /pol/ would no doubt approve of. he's interesting. and vegan, which is weird. he's also a funny hueg black dude. i feel like fucking lil mac
>>
>>1875163
Sounds like you lucked out on your instructor
>>
>>1875147
Not really man, just learn to wrap your hands it only takes 5-10 mins, I do muay thai and usually i just wrap my hands a couple minutes before i leave for the gym
>>
>>1875174
For sure. One of his gems was comparing religion to cell phone carriers: "they all do the same thang"
He also talked about how the elite don't care about black or white, just that they're on top. So race issues are all an illusion and we all get shit on.

Dude's pretty neat. Another white kid wears his shorts like me and he roasted us for it, so of course we pulled the race card
>>
>>1875178
How is the tape different from the brace though?
>>
>>1875214
Because it'll be tighter, pads your knuckles and will keep all the small bones in your hand from moving around when you hit something hard like somebodys forehead or hip bone now buy some wraps ya dingus
>>
>>1852982
>Aikido 9 years
>Judo 6 years
>BJJ 4 years
>1m82 at ~80kg or 6'0 at 165lbs

240kg - 530lb deadlift
160kg - 350lb squat
110kg - 240lb bench

Instructors are pretty cool guys, all with high level competition backgrounds. All the places are really chill too, despite taking competitions seriously. Just started training again after travelling through Africa for four months. Quite out of shape, but had a lot of fun ragdolling the new guys who didn't know me during no gi class yesterday morning.Didn't hurt them at all, but the look on their faces was priceless. :3
>>
Ok guys I've been thinking of preliminary analysis of opponents alot over the weekend and I want to compile a checklist of things to scan an opponent for.

Things like.
Reach.
Wether he's calm or jumpy.
What guard he recovers to after failed strikes.
Which foot is forward.

That sort of thing. Anyone got any thoughts on the matter.

How do you size up an opponent before a match?
>>
>>1873338
the fact that knees to the head grounded opponents is still illegal is such a bullshit.

i can understand not allowing stomps and soccer kicks even if i'm a favor of it. but knees? why the fuck no? the UFC don't want less stalling, KOs? and knees don't have the psychological impact to casuals that soccer kicks and head stomps have.
>>
>>1875276
use a scouter
>>
>>1875214
Just buy some wraps you coon. That's the last thing you should cheap out on.

>>1871910
Nah I think boxing is pretty alright when it comes to a random street fight (baring that you can wrap your hands) The only problem I have with it is how abrasive it is. I honestly cannot think of a MA that puts more wear on your body. Not counting vale tudo.
>>
>>1876147
This, I used to shit on boxing but the amount of hits you take just from training is insane. Not my primary MA but easily the hardest one I practice
>>
>>1875535
Are you really this retarded?
A knee to the head can easily kill someone if they're down/half down.
>>
>>1876151
Useless and good for brain damage. In a real fight fists are different than gloves.
>>
>>1876574
Only someone with brain damage would say that boxing is useless in the real world
>>
>>1876592
You must have brain damage because that is not what I was talking about faggot
>>
>>1876613
Then what's useless
>>
File: rizin.jpg (89KB, 539x768px) Image search: [Google]
rizin.jpg
89KB, 539x768px
>>1874689
I'm not even joking. It was trendy on japanese tv to go immerse in japan culture and to go try thing themselve for anchor.
When I say it's a woman, I should have said both are female. But you're actually the neckbeard for not seeing they were both female and that it was a stunt, even if it didn't ended well for the anchor.
Ger off your high horse retard.
Pic is for you.
>>
File: mr skeltal.png (556KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mr skeltal.png
556KB, 1280x720px
I've been looking for some shorter but heavier MMA fighters but I can't find any.

I want to see a really bulked up manlet fight against the taller lanklets who would be in the same weight class (Something like 5'6" manlet in Light/Welter weight (155lbs/170lbs)).

Why isn't there any really bulked up manlets in MMA? I feel like they would have an advantage in certain weight classes.
>>
>>1875144
Just do it and keep doing it.
>>1875276
Depends the discipline.
>coliflower more proeminent on a side or not.
>which one is the strong hand
and so on...
>>1876222
Implying a punch to the head can't kill someone already down. An elbow can also.
The point is not there. It is just shocking to most people and disrespectful in many asian countries.
>>1876574
Spotted the 360lbs mall ninja.
>>
File: tua hook.gif (2MB, 320x241px) Image search: [Google]
tua hook.gif
2MB, 320x241px
>>1871468
My fight gif collection was on my laptop and I only had my tablet when I read your post. I'm going to dump my full collection when I get a chance.
>>
>>1876668
Matt Serra.
Daniel Cormier
Tyron Woodley
Jens Pulver
>>
>>1852982
>What type of gym do you train at
Abandoned factory, we meet up every day and fight, 15 rounds of 30 minutes. Sometimes 1v1, sometimes free for all, it depends on what the overseer demands.
>how long
28cm
>physical stats
224cm/158kg/1,2% bf
Punching and kicking concrete posts
It's underground, nobody has seen or met the overseer, we just hear his voice over the speaker and see his silhouette through the window.
I don't really know him.
>>
>>1876623
Brain damage =/= conditioning.
>>
>>1876719
What the fuck anon
>>
>>1876574

t.never trained a day

There are entire websites dedicated to people sleeping other people in a street fight with a punch. Honestly in a rando SR I would take it over my bjj in some situations.
>>
>>1877262
Same, I'd take muay thai over bjj in certain street fight situations, having said that my bjj gym also teaches self defense along with sport jiu jitsu and some of the escapes are really useful, establishing knee on belly from a headlock and shit like that, so you can strike/submit or run if theres multiple attackers
>>
>>1877384

I consider myself an conisour of hood street fights. 90% of them start with a sucker punch, my money is on the guy who has been dodging hundreds of strikes over me. But if I can guarantee a 1v1 It's an easy win.
>mutiple attackers

my plan is to judo toss the first guy and get my ass out of there.
>>
>first day of BBJ
>first roll ever I pass the guy
>teacher pats me on the back and says I did great for my first day

A-am I elite bros??
>>
>>1878510
>Not sure if serious.

Kid, you have the bone structure of a kung-fu genius. World peace is in your hands. Here's the scroll of the Buddhist Palm. Because it's fate, I'll let you have it for $ 10.

Wait!

You want more...?
>>
>>1878510
Boeing Business Jet?
>>
>>1877262
>>1877384
Hello retards I am talking about the "conditioning"

Nothing about getting hit and having your brain rattle in your skull gives you "conditioning". Thats bullshit you cannot condition a brain the same way you would condition a shin
>>
>>1879709
>>1880101

Of course jelly /asp/ies cannot handle being in the presence of a natural.

(Yes i am joking, I was expecting my first bjj class to end up with me getting rag dolled. so it went better than expected)
>>
>>1881365

Nobody knows what the fuck you are talking about pajeet. Either way you sound like an untrained idiot.
>>
>>1881474

whoops meant for pajeet goriah >>1880872
>>
>>1878510
>first day of BJJ
>first roll ever I pass the guy
>turns out he was a decent blue belt

Then again, I had been doing Judo for two years at that point. While it depends on previous experience and who you're rolling with, landing any technique you've just learned in your first class isn't bad. Keep at it.

Second class after four months of absence this morning. Still submitted the purple belt that outweighs me by 10kg twice, landed a textbook uchi mata on someone else, and trolled my fellow blue belts with wristlocks. Had lots of fun, even if I'm completely out of shape by my own standards.
>>
>>1877189
If this intimidates you then you haven't been training and conditioning enough.
>>
File: 1471359828322.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471359828322.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1878510
You did great young padawan, but the road is still long...
>>1879709
>>1880101
lol!
>>
File: gangs.gif (2MB, 354x201px) Image search: [Google]
gangs.gif
2MB, 354x201px
>>1881843
You need to train for pic related in case you're out with your family. This is what happens in war, you need to train for war.
>>
>>1881843
But you wouldn't be even a decent fighter if your meme gym actually existed
>>
>>1882507
>>1881843
btw i know you're memeing but im not

you need to train for war
>>
>>1881476
t.punching bag his local mcdojo
>>
Alright /asp/ies day two of my BJJ journey: A fall from Gracie.

So today I felt tangibly the difference between a blue belt and some guy on his second day. Even with the physical advantage (Im a big goy 6'2, 220 well built) I would get swept, passed, and dominated.But most importantly I was completely gassed after the first set of rolls. How the hell do you get conditioning for this? Just do it more often? Shit /mag/ can I make it?
>>
>>1882628

ya killin' me pajeet
>>
>>1883518
Run, a lot. It's a combination of cardio and learning to relax during a roll so you're not expending all your energy trying to death cling to your opponent, but that comes from experience.
>>
>>1852838
>fighting lolis

This is it boys.
>>
How do I git gud at wristlocks?

Are there exercises I can do to strengthen certain muscles?

I know Aikido is BS but they seem to have a few pretty good wristlocks.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-19-02-01-52.png (736KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-19-02-01-52.png
736KB, 1920x1080px
I'm going through some pictures of me fighting and I noticed this creature in the stands behind me

The fuck is that?
Consider me spooped
>>
>that morbidly obese guy whose gameplan is to lay on people and tapping them by suffocating them with their lard

i swear to god, ive once seen him in the sidecontrol oushing his chest fat into peoples facces making them tap multiple time, but yesterday in training the guy on the bottom paniced and started spazzing after he tapped and the fat guy, because he is a fat piece of shit, was struggling to get up an remove his blubber from the other guys face. nearly killed the poor bloke

Ive also had his back many many times but when he just tucks his chin in, his neckfat forms a ring of doublechin that stands out 2cm over the chin and around the whole neck, making it impossible to close a rear naked choke. When i palmchoked him, the double chin ring of fat was so softening that it just absorbed all my power and he continued to breath his fat guy breath. Cant close triangles either.

Of course ive kimura'd him and can use armbars and leglocks but i wanna win from his back

Wtf, how do i beat this guy from his back?

Its either him on top just laying there until i tap or me taking his back and not being able to do jackshit.
>>
>>1885706
for comparison: im 6'2 with slender legs ad i cant close my guard with him because of his fat. weights an easy 230 kg
>>
>>1852982
- Muay Thai/Bjj Gym. Am the only MMA fighter there.
-for 5 month now, roundabout.
-1.85cm, 77kg (based ottermode)
-lifting with low reps&stretching 3x week, bycicle to gym & home everyday, make the way to the gym a warm up and the way home HIIT cardio
>>
>>1885706
>tfw fat but too careful and get reminded to put pressure during pins
>>
>>1885263
Whats the point of putting time in training something so ineffective?
>>
>>1883518
You're wasting massive amounts of strength and energy because you don't know when to apply them, so you apply them all the time. Recognize and relax in safe positions, only exert yourself when needed.

Example: rolling with a new guy yesterday, we started standing. He stiff-arms me, bends over and starts pushing with all his weight and strength. At this point, it's hard for me to take him down, but - this is the important bit - he cannot mount an offense either, so I relax and lean into him without pushing. He's wasting energy, I'm not. Once you get to that point, you start learning to redirect force and use it against someone. In this case, I landed an easy uchi-mata as he pushed forward and ran into it.

>>1885263
Ironically, Aikido/Ju Jitsu/Hapkido etc are the only arts that spend enough time on wristlocks for you to gain an understanding of them. Once you have a workable understanding of how they work, it's all about finding practical applications and developing set-ups that work in BJJ. I'm >>1875252, and the only reason I have a basic wristlock game - it's still work in progress - is years of Aikido. It's not easy though, but it sure is a nice addition to one's game, netting me surprise taps left and right, even during tournaments.
>>
>>1885263
All locks come from the hips. Build muscle anyway.
>>
>>1885815
Literally this. The blue belt was telling me to relax and breath while I was in guard. But I need to learn some new techniques. It doesn't help that the only way I know how to break guard is to pick the guy up.
>>
>>1885988
After 4 years of BJJ, that is still my go-to technique to break closed guard to be honest. Then again, I have a decent deadlift, so it's easy for me.

Another easy one is this, where one uses hip angle and a knee to open it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAuugwGjgc0
>>
If hitting the balls is allowed, wouldn't BJJ be almost useless?
>>
>>1886326
With stand up striking, it's like having a chin between your legs.

With stand up grappling, it's like having a very good pain compliance submission.

On the ground, BJJ, given that it evolves for the new ruleset, would have an in depth strategic and tactical ball grabbing game. Hell, throw in head butts, and BJJ does pretty good because you don't have to sink in submissions.
>>
It's story sharing time. How many of y'all have gotten the fuck out of martial arts, to then return and more easily get better, or have emerged better?

Perhaps, to progress further in martial arts, we must cast it away, partake of the steps of other journeys, and once upon having taken so many steps, so many different steps, we may return, perceiving from a different perspective, revealing how we may more easily achieve progression unto our previous journey.
>>
File: 1476644863426.webm (978KB, 580x316px) Image search: [Google]
1476644863426.webm
978KB, 580x316px
>>1883518
Running is good for conditionning, but if you're a big guy, start with calisthenics and fork put down.
You knees will thank you in a few years.
Thenas>>1885112 said, run, run a lot.
>>1885706
>>1885711
Neck cranck him or put him on his belly to rnc him. You can also get him in a rolling okuri eri jime/bow and arrow.
>>1885782
Wristlock are effective as fuck.
Especially to finish armbars.
>>1885263
>How do I git gud at wristlocks?
Work on them. Learn the anatomy of the wrist.
Are there exercises I can do to strengthen certain muscles?
Yes, but you still haven't ask which ones.
>I know Aikido is BS but they seem to have a few pretty good wristlocks.
All martial arts have a usefull part in them. It is ometime very small and/or not directly martial/combat related.
>>
>>1886108
Just spent 3 weeks repeating drill of this to this fall whitebelts...
>>
>>1886372
>BJJ, given that it evolves for the new ruleset

can you explain?
>>
>>1886108

That doesn't seem too hard. I wish he would do it full speed so I could see it in action. I'll check this guy out.
>>1886443
Thanks ill try that. But what I really want to focus on is yoga as some other guy suggested. I feel like my leg strength and lack of flexibility it killing me.
>>
>>1886411
All of a sudden around 13 years old (I started at 7), I got interested in metal and guitars and I started disliking karate but my mom made me stuck with it, then around 18 I started liking it again and now I think about it daily, I think it depends on whether you have something else you're really interested in or not
>>
>>1886326
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZKZsqWdFw
>>
>>1886411

I have done this. But with vydia if you care to listen. My idea is that it is because if you do something constantly you get bogged down in the meta and fundamentals and forget why you started in the first place. But when you come back you are more open minded and you carry over the skill you had before.
>>
>tfw first day of MMA
>tfw practiced BJJ
>tfw sparred with a girl
>tfw made her submit to me
>tfw all this without popping a boner
>>
>>1887713
>tfw your practice partner is choking you out with her thicc thighs
>>
I want to start boxing, but I have little to no martial arts experience. Thoughts on this gym?

http://www.ringboxingclub.com/classes
>>
File: 1474911815691.jpg (242KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474911815691.jpg
242KB, 1920x1080px
I've had my second session at this Boxing gym and something seems off.

This gym has sparring, but it is only once every week. Being brand new to boxing, I had expected the instructor to wave caution or throw me into a fight. I'm a big guy
so when he tells me that I shouldn't spare because I could get "excited" and I might "go berserk". I respect this trainer's word but I don't understand.
I checked their website again and I found they don't allow a "meat head" mentality.

There are only 2 boxing sessions a week. These sessions do not include sparring. The gym never has periods of "open gym" For the prices they will have me pay, this seems bullshit. They don't have any notable alumni either.

Should I get out?

The first sparring session is tomorrow night. If it doesn't hold up, I'll have to find another gym.

Here is there website.
http://johnsgymatx.com/

>>1888199
That one seems better than the one I'm at.
It's all I can say, as I started 3 days ago.
>>
>>1888332
>3 days in and already wants to spar
thats not a very good idea unless you're looking to get your brain rattled
>>
>>1888350
That's just it, I know I'm not ready to spar. It's why he told me I shouldn't spar that confused me.
>>
>>1888332
How's the Muay Thai?
>>
Is Taekwondo a meme?
I'm thinking about picking it up so I can get fit and agile but I don't want to jump and kick like a retarded kangaroo and never use hands.
There is gym in my city where trains the guy who got silver medal in Baku 2015 and a few people who get good positions in european cups.
Im thinking about K1 too but when I watch k1 fights they look like they are just angry and throw blind punches and kicks at each other, not really appealing.
Wat do?
>>
>>1888358

Are you retatded?
>>
>>1888332
He probably meant that you might get hit hard because you don't know how to defend yet and get pissed off.
If you're big 1 shit might only make you go berserk and they will have to somehow stop you from using raw power to kill your opponent. Ofc it's not easy to stop raging heap of meat so they might be scared for others and your safety. At least its how I see it.
Captcha pound call lol
>>
>>1888358
beginners often don't know how to spar safely.

When I started Muay Thai the first time I sparred. I sparred as a long experienced martial artist and pulled all my punches. So they barely made contact.

My opponent with his MMA gloves and beginners idea of fighting was whailing on me like a man possessed.

It was a hard thing for the instructor to explain he actually technically got decimated even though I came away worse off from the sparring.

It doesn't do the club any good when a big beginner goes all out against intermediate guys and then goes away thinking he cleaned up in his first month or worse still if one of said intermediate guys loses his temper and matches intensity.

There are some martial arts who NEVER spar. That's what the OPs checklist is referring to. Clubs that get you sparring immediately can be just as bad. Learn first take the test later.
>>
>>1888595

>spar immediately is bad

Asterisk depending on which art it is. A grappling art is fine for the most part and you benefit from starting right away, a striking art you're either going to hurt someone else, or more likely hurt yourself by going all out when your hands aren't used to the impact.
>>
So how does /asp/ feel about training while injured? If you feel it's going to affect performance do you sit it out?
>>
>>1889216
You risk injuring yourself more, and that gives you a net loss.

Personally, I'm a piece of shit, impulsive, giving no fucks about my well being, so I keep on pushing through, through the pain, through the suffering.
I don't give a fuck about how I perform, it's about being there in the first place, doing the do, walking the walk, talking the talk.
I'm like a dog chasing a piece of meat hung in front of him; it's fucking pathetic.

It's the same reason why I will not hesitate to stop a rape, to stop a mugging, to fight multiple opponents, to fight opponents with weapons while I'm unarmed.
I will have no fear, as justice still burns in my heart; and the primal fire burns within my, wild, uncontrolled.

I am a destroyed man, it's fucking disgusting, sickening.
>>
>>1889216
I'm getting old now I've learned to given it a month or so.

Has to be serious tho and I still train jus not anything that would effect the injury.
>>
What's a good minimalist BJJ/Judo gi?

I hate how most BJJ gis have cringeworthy logos and patches all over them, and obnoxious contrast stitching.

Also at the risk of seeming like a special snowflake I'd like to shy away from the traditional white, black, & blue.

I'd prefer maybe a gray or red.
>>
>>1890033
just buy an off brand white one so it wont be too big of a loss when you decide to quit

it isn't you personally, its just statistics that 90% quit before the first year is over
>>
>>1890061
I've been doing no gi for over a year and a half, this is just my first tournament and my instructor said I need a gi for the gi category.
>>
What's the etiquette for belt colors when cross training martial arts?

I'm a purple belt in judo but the owner of the gym has recently brought in a BJJ black belt to start teaching jiu jitsu. Should I bring a white belt and purple belt to the gym? BJJ is earlier in the evening then Judo is right after.
>>
>>1890099
just wear your purple belt dude bjj stems from judo anyway plus youd probably be able to roll with bjj blue and purple belts and keep up if you have a good basis of judo
>>
>>1890115
Thats not completely true if th guy plans on going more than twice he should wear a white belt because he's a judo purple belt not a bjj purple belt.
>>
>>1890081
>I've been doing no gi
>my first tournament and my instructor said I need a gi for the gi category.

oh dear. good ruck with that one

gi translates to no gi way more than no gi transfers to gi
dem grips
>>
>>1890159
Sadly I work night shift at a hospital and my 3 days off every week are the nights that the gym trains no gi, so that's all I'm able to go to.

But my instructor really really really wants me to compete, and actually makes it a requirement to advance in belt ranks.
>>
File: green_belt.jpg (56KB, 426x347px) Image search: [Google]
green_belt.jpg
56KB, 426x347px
BJJfags, what are your thoughts on the adult green belt? The academy I attend does it (they still compete as white belts; but unlike white belts they are allowed to attend non-whitebelt classes and roll with colored belts) and I think it's a good motivator for beginners.
>>
>>1890165
I'm just expressing the reality of grip life vs slip life
as a white belt of about 4 months at the time I had played against someone who was a great wrestler, accomplished college level guy who was much more athletic than me
But we were wearing gis, and once I got my grips he couldn't do shit, he was on lock down the whole time and had no mobility
>>
>>1889298
*teleports behind you*
heh, not so though now huh!?
>>
>be autistic /fit/fag with 10 years of wrestling experience and 5 years of judo
>come to first BJJ class
>"alright partner up for rolling"
>forced to roll with a grill
>she looks like shrek and is slightly overweight
>somehow made purple belt
>she shoots a double leg on me, I sprawl and get a guillotine
>continue to sub her every single round, over and over again
>only time she subbed me is when she put her knee on my face, I put my leg up to push her off with my foot, she grabs my first toe and starts twisting it

How this bitch get purple belt? I thought that shit meant you were a badass? Not bragging or anything, but she sucked. Literally everyone else I rolled with toyed with me. Even a 4 stripe white belt subbed me multiple times that night.
>>
>>1890099
If you have to ask, then you need an ego check. As the saying goes, a full cup can't be filled.
I'm a judo brown belt and I wear a white when I'm cross training with a bjj class because I have not earned a bjj rank.
>>
>>1890176
It sounds stupid why do you need a new belt to roll with other colered belts or to take other classes can't you just do it as a how ever many stripe white belt it seems unnecessary.
>>
>>1890176
Who cares, belts are bullshit
>>
>>1890354
Women are women. However that's kinda sad that you got subbed by a white belt if you've done judo and wrestled for that long.
>>
>>1889216
As someone who is injured right now and has his first meet of the season in a week, rest while you can. Don't be a lazy piece of shit but don't put your injured body in compromising positions. Train technique and work what you can, but you'll limit yourself forever if you completely ignore the pain.
>>
>>1888430
Taekwondo only is not a meme if you beging with it when you are a Child, for adults and teenagers is a meme, better than other memearts but still meme, if you want to learn taekwondo kicks just search a kickboxing trainer with a taekwondo black belt, you would learn to use your hands, practical kicks and spinning, fancy taekwondo kicks.

The only "TMAs" who are not a meme are BJJ, judo and some schools de karate.
>>
>>1888595
That doesn't make sense. When I spar with beginners they don't even land any clean shots on me, why are you getting hit so much? If a beginner can touch the chin of an intermediate guy more than a couple of times in a session they are both beginners. It sounds like you are used to sparring with cautious people and can't deal with someone who throws wildly with high volume.

I'm just going off your words, if I actually was there I would agree with your instructor but you make it sound like he was hitting you a lot.
>>
File: image.jpg (265KB, 1473x2041px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265KB, 1473x2041px
How we fix taekwondo?
>>
File: those cheeks tho.jpg (130KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
those cheeks tho.jpg
130KB, 700x394px
>>1891325
Allow punches to the head
Allow knees and elbows
Allow standing grappling and throws
Put in a square ring
Add a 10-point must scoring system
5 3-minute rounds
Cool headbands and armbands
Have a guy play oboe loudly through the entire match
>>
>>1891257
Ah fair enough yea. What I should I have said is I'm not used to blocking kicks with my shins. He was getting hits in after I was taking a second to recover from hard kicks I wasn't used to.
>>
File: kick check.jpg (23KB, 375x413px) Image search: [Google]
kick check.jpg
23KB, 375x413px
>>1891488
Sounds like you're checking with your balance too far back. Try checking with your weight into your opponent and then look for a right hand over the top. I like to use a checked kick as the start of a 2-3-2 combo. Also, against a beginner it should only take a couple of checked kicks to get them to lighten up on the legs because their shins aren't very tough yet.

Something my coach makes me do is to check kicks during shadow boxing, just practice a 1-2-3 combo, step back and lift your leg like you're checking a kick, and throw the 2-3-2. It will help you fine tune your balance and sharpen up your reaction to that situation.
>>
File: 1406715231467.gif (951KB, 500x233px) Image search: [Google]
1406715231467.gif
951KB, 500x233px
>>1890176
>That instant gratification need...
Useless, but also harmless. Let him do it if he wants to.
>>
Do you guys like Hapkido?
>>
>>1892078
Isn't it gook aikido?
>>
File: taekwondo.jpg (73KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
taekwondo.jpg
73KB, 427x640px
>>1891193
So I'm 20 now, and I'll never be able to do pic rel?
Feels fucking bad man
>>
File: HipHopKido.jpg (447KB, 844x630px) Image search: [Google]
HipHopKido.jpg
447KB, 844x630px
>>1892078
Hapkido is to martial arts like ddp yoga is to yoga
>>
What is the best move to learn in bjj as a turbo manlet?
>>
>>1892868
Shrimp

https://youtu.be/jxiHY2AtG8w
>>
>>1892986
>>1892986
100% this
>>
Has anyone here met their significant other at a dojo/gym?

>>1892537
Is it that bad?

>>1892523
I think it's supposed to incorporate striking, but I don't know much about it.
>>
>>1885640
>spoop
anon, as 2spooky5me as this is, wrong board. Try /x/ if you're trying to spoop.
>>
>>1891781
That picture is a shitty example of a kick check.
>>
>>1893233
It's a bit gimmicky
>>
>Page 10
>329 replies

The fuck? No new thread?

>>1893676
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.