[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hema General?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 47

Are historical european martial arts discussed here anymore? Anyone up for a thread? Longswords are shit, polehammer masterrace.
>>
Well. Im a big fan of Huscarls. Im an axefighter mainly focused on one handed axes / Tomahawks. Throwing them is not really allowed, cuz the spikes penetrate armor and could be lethal.
Longswords are the masterrace though, because Axes and maces are too heavy, whilst, when trained, the sword is the best. It requires the most skill and physical condition. You can give a mace to any peasant with decent strenght and no intelligence or training to use it.
You have halfsword swords and maces are generqally good against armor.

Love swords, dont have time to train it
>>
>>1828779
wow, a hema thread!
>>1828789
aaand it's gone
>>
File: dagger.jpg (58KB, 501x352px) Image search: [Google]
dagger.jpg
58KB, 501x352px
Which attack lines make more sense for Fiore's dagger strikes? Seen people teaching both of these, kinda confused.
>>
File: 1475049887592.png (159KB, 289x289px) Image search: [Google]
1475049887592.png
159KB, 289x289px
>>1828789
kek
>>1828795
mfw

Alright. Lets get dis dread started.
Which one is your fav. team in the Battle of Nations?
>>
>>1828779
have sex
>>
>>1828929
I do, it's great.
>>
>>1828938
Gain height
>>
>>1828779
I prefer a halberd or a pike, desu senpai. Even though they dressed like fruits, the german landsknecht were so effective because of polearms and greatswords.
>>
>>1828796
I'd say B but I have no evidence to call it right and the other option wrong.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 400x385px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 400x385px
Anti shitpost bump
>>
Rapiers...thoughts?
>>
>>1828801
Battle of the Nations is HMB, not hema you mongo.

And Russia a best.
A best!
>>
>>1829860
Your mum liked it
Until she gave birth to your fat disappointing arse 9 months later

>>1828779
Virginduelers get out
>>
>>1828796
A. Stabbing into the opening of the clavicle is one of the best things you can do with an icepick grip because it's a killing blow that evades all bone. It just goes straight down into the lung and there's no muscular cramp action that can close the wound, nor can you put pressure on it to stem the flow (which AFAIK is a modern technique, that nobody had the faintest idea about in the late middle ages). It's still one of the most reliably mortal knife blows.

B just entails trying to hammer through the skull, which is dumb even if you have the precision in mid-grapple (hint, you don't) to aim for the temple or other weak bone spot; any movement of the head, misaligned or insufficient force, or bad aim might lead to the blade just slipping and just pushing a cut along the bone. Worst case scenario the fucking thing gets caught in there for a moment, just when every moment counts.

Don't stab anybody for real, though, kids. Not even if it's a shitposting wrasslefaggot.
>>
>>1828796
>>1829351
>>1831764
"From the left (reverse) side, you can strike from the elbow to end at the temple of the head. And these are called the colpi mezani (middle strikes). And these reverse strikes from the left cannot be delivered if you are still waiting to make cover against your opponent’s attack."

"From the right side you can strike or cover if needed, and your target ranges from the elbows to the temples of the head. And this strike is more safely made from the right side than made from the left side."
Some guys translation of the Fiore part dealing about dagger targets.
>>
>>1829860
Rapier is cool
>>
>>1828796
A
>>
>>1834231
Longsword > Rapier just deal with it
>>
>>1834631
I never said rapier is the best, I just said rapier is cool. You longswordfags are so easily triggered by other swords.
>>
>>1834731
Sorry just trying to keep the first hema thread I've seen in weeks from dying. Tbh I think rapier is cool as shit.
>>
>>1828779
next time add this to the first post, like in the good old threads

Historical European Martial Arts Thread
Please keep it kind and on topic. Also no SCA/Reenactment/HMB please.

Essential Information:

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=619536
http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.hroarr.com/
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php
>>
File: windsor.jpg (100KB, 327x252px) Image search: [Google]
windsor.jpg
100KB, 327x252px
Any thoughts on these books?
>>
>>1837271
I have the earlier version of his longsword book (pic related), haven't read the new ones, though. He's a reasonably good writer, so I doubt you'd be wasting your money on them unless you're very familiar with Fiore already.
>>
>>1837271
Guy Windsor is always a good purchase
>>
>>1837480
I have a signed copy of this that is now worth $400.
>feels good man

Also where the puck are these threads being posts these days?
/his/ is pretty rubbish for it, /asp/ is dead, it's like the best threads are now in ducking /cgl/ LARP threads...
>>
>>1837695
>Also where the puck are these threads being posts these days?
I have no idea, I came back to /asp/ after a break and noticed there wasn't any threads, so I made one. Maybe people will wander back with time if these threads stay up?
>>
So, I'm looking for gorgets so I don't get skewered during sparring.

Destroyer Modz isn't answering his email, so that's a no go.

So I'm deciding between the AF neck protector:
http://www.afinternationalsporting.com/product_info.php/products_id/148/cPath/8

And the WTC stainless steel gorget:
http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/items/gorget.html

Thoughts?
>>
>>1840051
>http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/items/gorget.html

idk man that looks real uncomfortable once you start sweating and fighting.
>>
>>1837695
>>1838272
Why isn't /hema/ on /k/ anyway?

I've never fought in a tournament, and I'm confused by the scoring methodology I've seen in youtube videos of the european tourneys; what do the different flag positions mean? Like red vertical, blue horizontal, both horizontal, etc.
>>
>>1840580
Well, /asp/ was originally pretty much filled with martial arts, skateboarding, paintballgunning and all sort of that kind of stuff before the wrasslefags came in. Hema is a martial art.
Also I don't think there's any uniform scoring system yet, unfortunately.
>>
File: IMG_1938.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1938.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>... we are lost, we can never go home...
>>
File: image.jpg (310KB, 1283x1774px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
310KB, 1283x1774px
Who's your HEMA waifu? Mine is pic related.
Also, how long until I should start sparring?(newbie here)
>>
For some reason I'm unable to find any examples of the plays 11-24 of fiore's dagger's first master online.
>>
File: IMG_4559.jpg (293KB, 1056x1408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4559.jpg
293KB, 1056x1408px
>>
>>1841078
Start now, technique practice is all fine and dandy, but it's pointless if you don't use it.
Sure, you'll get your ass handed to you at first, but that's how you learn.
>>
>>1843166
Eh, I'm more worried about not letting the more experienced guys practice properly because I'm a shitty opponent.
>>
I used to see these threads in the times I visited /asp/ semi-regularly, before wrestling was added. Always thought HEMA looked like it was fun and worthwhile to get into. How much would it typically cost me to try it out? I'm not sure I want to invest in all the equipment yet if I don't know for sure I'll like it.
>>
>tfw no qt daughteru to spar with
>>
>>1840051
The PBT one looks like shit, but it's quite good. You would want to wear it under your jacket, though.
http://www.woodenswords.com/product_p/p-gorget.htm

>>1840674
>Also I don't think there's any uniform scoring system yet, unfortunately.
I see that as a good thing. I don't think we want a single set of rules that everyone uses. Like with other aspects of HEMA, approaching things from different angles can help to give a more complete picture.
>>
File: meyer_1570_longsword_d.jpg (202KB, 1175x773px) Image search: [Google]
meyer_1570_longsword_d.jpg
202KB, 1175x773px
>>1844580
Sauce?

Als doES anyone know any good sources for exercises at home?
Longsword and preferably Joachim Meyer.
>>
File: image.jpg (649KB, 1328x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
649KB, 1328x2048px
>>1845184
Instagram - @faunusilva
>>
>>1843985
Most clubs have loaner gear for newbies to use when they first start. Find the group(s) near your area and ask them.

If you want to get your own stuff, the essentials are sword, mask, and gloves, which you could probably get for around $200. I suppose there's also the cost of classes, but that varies too much for me to guess at.
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 640x640px
>>1846362
What's the cheapest place online to order HEMA shit? I'm looking for a practice longsword and all the usual equipment.

Currently I'm Yurop, if that helps.
>>
>>1846544
>all the usual equipment
If you mean full kit, the only purpose built stuff you'll need are gloves and a jacket. SPES' AP jacket is close to standard, and their heavy gloves are good too. Definitely don't skimp on the gloves; broken fingers are easy to come by in longsword, and they fucking suck. You can get a fencing mask and all the other pads (elbows, knees, etc.) online, or wherever else you would normally look for cheap sports equipment.

As for swords, I'm not sure about the best place for synthetics in Eurolandia, but most of the good smiths are on that side of the Atlantic. Regenyei is one of the cheapest.

Oh, and you'll probably want a gorget, too. As mentioned above, PBT had a good one, and I think they're Hungarian, but it isn't cheap. AF and Destroyer Mods have cheaper ones, but I'm not sure what their international prices would be like.
>>
File: langes_messer.jpg (855KB, 2832x1068px) Image search: [Google]
langes_messer.jpg
855KB, 2832x1068px
>>1828779
Where can I learn the absolute basics of langes messer outside of a hema club?
stuff like movement, strikes and so on
>>
>>1847670
Dunno if Agilitas.tv is of any use for that
>>
>>1847670
Someone else who does more with it can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the basic movement, guards, and strikes are just about identical to German longsword.

I didn't see much messer stuff on youtube, but there's plenty of stuff on longsword, so you could start there.
>>
>>1848457
The basic principles are the same and other than being singlehanded most techniques are aswell though the guards have different names.

An important thing to remember with the messer is it has very little hand protection compared to more commonly taught single handed swords so it's strikes are closer to the body and come from the elbow not the wrist.

The most obvious difference is the Nagel and most guards and techniques use it constantly. So something like the eintrusthau although similar to Ochs is angled differently.

You don't have access to a HEMA club at all? Do you have martial arts experience?

Messer is so juicy and fun it's better to leave it for advanced study rather than blowing your load early in my opinion.
>>
>>1847670
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0YotUWDurZPfPA0--QkprA They're posting some good shit
>>
>>1845184
Yes, Matt Gallas and his solo drills, search for the meyer 16, it is a sequence of 16 cuts to different Blosse.
>>
>>1849054
>meyer 16
heres a rusky vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHYfKF8Qgs
as usually with the rusky oohmpf every tournament fighter loves so much...
>>
Are there any good ringen or abrazare videos on yt? Also have any of you ever sparred using it against bjj or wrestling? How'd it go?
>>
>>1849131
Yes i got wrecked because they train so much more. It's essentially the same it is just wrestling.
>>
>>1849131
https://www.youtube.com/user/Vondanzigkungfu
>>
>>1849164
Oh snap fast response. Do you think it was just the training? Like, did you feel the abrazare/ringen curricula would hold up if trained as frequently?
>>
>>1849256
not that guy, but Ringen is defused martial art, it was a past time and you do not gouge out your best buddies eyes for fun, so many techniques where removed from Ringen, it was sporterized.
Abrazare is different, there is some nasty stuff in there and it is mostly for self defense, and it has a tendency for going for the groin, throat, temple, joints and whatnot.
>>
File: wR1rbgia9o1_500.jpg (20KB, 489x740px) Image search: [Google]
wR1rbgia9o1_500.jpg
20KB, 489x740px
>>1849054
>>1849083
Thnx!
>>
File: MZ1rbgia9o1_400.jpg (17KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
MZ1rbgia9o1_400.jpg
17KB, 400x600px
>>1847301
>Regenyei is the cheapest
Yeah but which one is the best?
>>
Howdy guys want to start a HEMA group in my area but I don't know anyone. There's supposed to be a group in my area but I can't find any information on them. Anyways how did you get into HEMA? And what was your first move towards it?
>>
>>1853360
Battle of the Nations for me.
Shit got me hard.
>>
>>1853360
My group had a display at an event I was going to. Followed them home and stayed for 5 years.
>>
I have been wanting to start HEMA but there is literally nowhere around that doesn't that isn't a six hour round trip drive. None of my friends are interested in it either, which is really disappointing.

I don't know what to do.
>>
>>1854061
It would help if you said where you are.
>>
>>1854061
Do another martial art until you can do HEMA.

The fact there's a club within 6 hours is promising that it might expand in your area.
>>
>>1849083
Holy shit his form is bad.
Do you even biomechanics?
>>
File: Fabrizio Mansur Filograna.webm (3MB, 810x454px) Image search: [Google]
Fabrizio Mansur Filograna.webm
3MB, 810x454px
Progauntlet never
>>
Holy shit, saber is fun as fuck. You can start memeswinging right from the beginning and it's really satisfying.
>>
>>1856251
They better be cheap.
>>
>>1857332
Why? Do they owe you, because you've been waiting on their product?
>>
>>1857720
No but from the way the websites set up it looks like they'll be looking for a premium pricepoint.

Spending big money on gloves. I just can't be fucked with it anymore. Fair play to them they're start up companies and it's fantastic they've taken it upon themselves to get the gear out there and make everything possible for us but the mark up on HEMA gear is absurd. That said it's getting better.

That glove looks great but I'm scared they'll be looking 300+ Euros.
>>
>>1854254

Near Charlotte, but from what I have seen the closest place is in either Atlanta or Raleigh, and they are three hours away or more.

>>1854273

I did Kempo when I was younger but it wasn't very interesting because it rewarded shit. Even my mom was displeased because when she was younger she also did martial arts and was taught an actual, proper way. She would always say that the training here is pathetically weak and what they let you get away with at every place we have seen is an embarrassment. She called the places "belt stores" since that's pretty much all you get out of them.
>>
>>1858738
>Charlotte
There is a club in Charlotte...
http://www.swordwind.org/
>>
>>1858738
>>1858816
http://www.communitywalk.com/THE-HEMA-Group-finder-E-North-America-Eastern
>>
>2016
>reading about the "plateau"
>okay, sure, I'll just keep training
>2016+time
>so this is what it feels like
>>
>>1858822
>>1858816

I don't know how I missed this. Thanks, lads.
>>
Suggestion for a sword for I.33 beside of regenyei?
>>
>>1861347
We werent super thrilled about our i.33 from him.
His longsword feders are great bang for buck, but the shorter swords have thin edges (dull swords ofc) and really bit into eachother quickly.
Have no idea as for a recommendation. Were stumped too, because he still has decent price.
>>
>>1861347
>>1861489
Albion, A&A, Danelli, and Castille all have offerings at various price points. I don't have experience with any of them myself, but their other work is generally well (enough) reviewed.
>>
>>1862056
Very happy with my Danelli cup hilt Rapier, the product is excellent and so was the customer service.
>>
Any of you faggots train with pole weapons? I'd really like to learn how to use a halberd.
>>
>>1862270
The biggest problem I have with Danelli is the giant fucking pommel nut he has on every single fucking thing he makes. I mean for starters there's no reason to have a threaded tang on anything other than complex hilted swords, but he has it on his feders and montantes too. But even on a rapier where it makes sense to have it threaded, why the fuck don't you recess it in the fucking pommel? Why have this huge unattractive lump sticking out of the bottom?

Drives me up the fucking wall. Worse because his stuff is apparently quite good, otherwise.
>>
>>1862505
I know something about poleaxe. I wish there was a safe way to spar with polearms.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 1234x819px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1234x819px
Anyone here own the 5 finger sparringgloves? I've been thinking about ordering a pair but I've never seen them in person so I'm a little unsure about making that kind of investment.
>>
>>1862555
Are these not sufficient? I suppose even if you hit someone with the rubber head it could still fuck someone up with a direct hit to the sternum...But it looks so fun.

http://www.woodenswords.com/Polehammers_s/1833.htm
>>
>>1863510
A quarterstaff alone is too dangerous for full intensity sparring with longsword-level protection.

Strikes are too powerful, and as for thrusts... wood shaft can't bend like feder blades do.
>>
>>1863252
A guy in my club has a pair. What do you want to know about them?
>>
>>1863577
Maybe larp polearms could be safe enough, has anyone ever tried? I'd try but they're expensive af.
>>
bump..
>>
>>1863510
Those rubbers heads aren't very soft. With how much speed/leverage you get with most polearm strikes you could still give someone a concussion real easily.

>>1864096
The ones I've seen have been too floppy for good binding work, but I haven't seen too many.
>>
>>1864096
I'm not sure if they're LARP poles but my club uses something similar.

A plastic pipe with a rubbery foam cover. Safe for sparring but as >>1864431 rightly points out they're no good for binding. Not much use accordingly.

We have them for large workshops more than anything.
>>
>>1862517
>what is sword rattle
Peened swords are not necessary any more. Eventually your hilt rattles or your grip is loose and you just have to live with it. At least with danellis you can just tighten the thing.
>>
>>1866000
Even accepting that, it doesn't have to be so ugly. Just recess the fucking nut in the pommel and it'd be fine. Sure, you'd need a hex wrench to tighten it, but at least it wouldn't look like shit.
>>
>>1866748
Well write him and ask then. He does customs, shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>1866000
If a Regenyei starts rattling can you just hammer the peen to fix it?

With the blade in a vice obviously.
>>
>>1867799
technically yes, but peening is difficult, use a peen hammer and very light strokes (many of them). If you have never peened something, try to find someone who did, otherwise you'll turn then tang into a corkscrew.
>>
>>1863964
The thing I was mostly curious about was sizing, I didn't want to order them and have them not fit. From other reviews I've seen they mention wearing a thin pair of gloves underneath. Does the guy do that? If he does did he use his hand measurements with or without the glove when ordering them?

Also how flexible is the cuff? Will thicker jackets be able to fit under it? Has not being able to feel anything in the fingertips caused any problems?

That's pretty much all I can think of right now, I'm guessing the guy is happy with his pair, has he made any comments about them?
>>
Tell your friends the HEMA General is here again, we need to be many of us to keep this thread up and hae usefull discussions.
>>
File: fedora4.jpg (47KB, 408x580px) Image search: [Google]
fedora4.jpg
47KB, 408x580px
>Hema General
>>
>>1869691
Quality post
>>
>>1868931
>From other reviews I've seen they mention wearing a thin pair of gloves underneath. Does the guy do that?
You have to. It's just a shell; there's no underglove. The underglove is just a thin glove though, so it shouldn't affect your measurements much.

>Also how flexible is the cuff
It's a hard cuff I believe.

>Will thicker jackets be able to fit under it?
Don't know. I'm in California and it's only recently cooled down enough to bother putting on the jacket.
>>
>been teaching Fiore to my local study group
>now branching out to germany because swordwrestle ain't my digs and want more options at polite fencing distance
So what serves as a good piece of secondary material to introduce myself to German styles? I've heard Keith Farrell's book is to German what Guy Windsor's is to Fiore. Is there any other good material? And which manuals should I start from?
>>
File: jT5690B.jpg (59KB, 679x960px) Image search: [Google]
jT5690B.jpg
59KB, 679x960px
>>1870107
>And which manuals should I start from?
Lichtenauer is about the same time period.
>>
>>1870107
>Same time period than Fiore, longsword
44.A.8
>Same time period than Fiore, not longsword
Lecküchner's messer manual
>Not same time period than Fiore, longsword
Joachim Meyer's 1570

>>1870210
"Lichtenauer" isn't a manual...
>>
>>1870107
Hanko Dobringer is the most common one to use.

Joachim Meyer is a little better published but it's a later manual.

Is there really that much of a difference between Italian and German. I mean I understand the differences, the master strikes etc but it get's to me a little when people show a generic strike or combination and claim it's Italian.
>>
>>1870464
I guess basics are the same whatever the art if it involves a similar-ish weapon. Basic blows, footwork and guards will feel the same. Advanced techniques and interpretation or explanation of global concepts may perhaps be dssimilar but most importantly core spirit is where it will be different and this isn't really present directly in the techniques. The relation to initiative for instance is different in both traditions, german is very much about seizing and keeping, while italian is certainly more about judging and thwarting.

Besides, "german" and "italian" is pretty reductive, there is more than just Lichtenauer and his followers in the german-speaking 15th c sources, and Vadi isn't strictly the same than Fiore for instance. It's better to refer to a proper treatise or manual than to a usually modernly organized tradition (imho).
>>
>>1870464
>>1870499
I'm not real familiar with Fiore; what *are* the main differences between that and the Liechtenauer lineage?
>>
>>1870253
knigga you know what I meant
>>
>>1870499
yea well said.

>>1871182
I'm not expert either but put simply and it's always a simplification. The Lichtenauer lineage has master strikes like the Swerhaw and the Krumphau that aren't a part of Fiores system as I understand. The Italian system has more guards; Posta di Donna has no equivalent until Meyers treatise as I understand and whereas Ringeck has a singular Alber, Fiore has a range of specific comparable low guards and some footwork variations like guards with the heels towards the opponent etc.

Fiore is also clearer on grappling with the longsword (so is Vadi) whereas the Lichtenauer is more focussed on direct strikes. It's commonly infered therefore that German styles are geared for fast dominance and lethality (to be fair they are clear on encouraging this) and the Italians Less than lethal self defense/humiliation.

Most German treatises are keen to point out they are advanced training for beating the 'Common fencer' and some infer the Italian style may be this common fencing but that's very contentious conjecture.

I brought it up after finding a quickly aborted attempt at a HEMA general on /k/ two nights ago where a poster was saying the Italian system is the only way to fly because the German 'helicopter cuts just don't work in reality'. Accompanied strangely with a .gif of Anton Kohutovic's Zornhau video labeled Fiore. The thread was dead before I could press him for clarification.

Several posters went on to agree and I was starting to think Fiore superiority might be a growing meme on /k/ or maybe in the US overall.
>>
>>1870107
Ringeck, Döbringer, Pseudo von Danzig are good choices to start with the German School.
>>1870253
>44.A.8
Is the Pseudo von Danzig, I like it a lot because it has treatises from different masters on different weapons in it.

Meyer is likely the most complete, but he is very late and in the Marksbrüder school, a lineage that developed later from the Liechtenauer tradition.
>>
>>1871182
>>1871598
You could find a lot of discussions about it online (I think I've seen a pretty extensive one in the scholagladiatoria forum).

So as said Fiore has like 22 guards with the longsword while the typical Lichtenauer has like 5... Fiore is more about waiting, analyzing the opponent and counter-striking (though that's not all of it, there are opening strikes as well), Licht is more about seizing and keeping the initiative as stated earlier. The concept of initiative is therefore much better described in the german sources.

Also, Fiore doesn't cross his hands but on like 2 occasions in the entire ms, there's also only one false-edge strike that is described (reverse middle cut iirc) compared to the gazillion of the Licht trad.

Fiore likes to grapple more and when he does, he does armbars and controlling of the enemy's blade and grip mostly and he stays on his damn feet, whereas the germans do hip throws and are ok to roll on the ground.

Fiore's techniques works in an out of armor pretty much the same (though there are some specific armored techniques), whereas Licht has a separate section for each.
Fiore however have long measure plays (zogho largo) and short measure plays (zogho stretto) that have no equivalent in Licht (as a conceptual thing I mean).

This all means that it's more about a spirit of doing things than actual techniques. Fiore is certainly a bit more cautious, knowing the enemy's weakness before going for it whereas Licht is about (basically) a solid attack being the best defense. The technical differences comes from the basic premises of how to fight (types of grappling for instance).

Also, Licht starts with the longsword and expand to the others. Fiore starts with grappling, then dagger, then one-handed (long)sword and only then longsword and this is important.

Finally, Fiore has mounted longsword and grappling and his strikes are sentient but Licht has helicopter cuts so...
>>
>>1871598
>>1872335
Interesting. I've been curious to learn the basics of Fiore for a little while now, but the German stuff is much more popular where I am.
>>
File: 1673_Pascha_Rapier_No18.png (218KB, 674x303px) Image search: [Google]
1673_Pascha_Rapier_No18.png
218KB, 674x303px
>>1828779
Is rapier fencing ok in here?
>>
>>1873274
Yea, as long as it isn't modern sports fencing.
>>
File: Fabris-Cloak-2.jpg (139KB, 766x246px) Image search: [Google]
Fabris-Cloak-2.jpg
139KB, 766x246px
>>1873274
Aye, rapier is welcome here!
>>
From the interview after the Longpoint South final, which was on ESPN3.

What do you guys think? Is the publicity a good thing, or will we just get a bunch of people who only want to compete or don't care about the source material?
>>
>>1874402
The publicity is good. The media interest is very good.

I'm not personally worried about people not being interested in the source material. People pursue a martial art for different reasons and levels of commitment. Sure you can get buffalo fencers who can take the fun out of tournaments but I seriously believe to fence at a high level studying the sources is unavoidable.

It was a great venue and just to have good pictures in a setting like that is
>>
>>1843017
Zeughaus Graz?
>>
>>1875392
Yup
>>
>>1874402
>From the interview after the Longpoint South final, which was on ESPN3.
Any footage on that?
>>
>>1875423
found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPOQDkcu4c
>>
>>1875428
On this, what is better, Swedish style judging like shown here, or polish style judging?
>>
File: IMG_0214.jpg (356KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0214.jpg
356KB, 1000x1333px
oh thank god i found this place.
i just bought pic related recently and ive been trying to think of an organized to solo train with it since its still a bit heavy for me currently.
anybody know anything about two handed swords here?
>>
>>1875460
Yup, you are in luck, there are historic treatises for solo drills with the Montante / Spadone. What level of experience do you have?
>>
Alright so I've already posted this in /mag/ but I'm intrigued with what you guys have to say too.

Ok guys I've been thinking of preliminary analysis of opponents alot over the weekend and I want to compile a checklist of things to scan an opponent for.

Things like.
Reach.
Wether he's calm or jumpy.
What guard he recovers to after failed strikes.
Which foot is forward.

That sort of thing. Anyone got any thoughts on the matter.

How do you size up an opponent before a match?

>>1841078
This is a late reply now but I acually disagree with the other anon. He is right that sparring early is good so you get a better idea of fighting but it can also make lots of bad habits and shitty attitudes like 'these techniques aren't working for me how do I change them to fit me' like almost every beginner who wants to overreach with every cut.

We recently started dedicated beginners classes were the beginners don't spar for a few months and it's not that they end up much better immediately but it eliminated the frustrating endless doublefests.

Spar a time or two to get a feel for it but don't spar regularly until you're form is passable.
>>
>>1875464
absolute beginner. just got my practice sword in the mail 3 days ago and ive only ever practiced with it once for a few hours.
>>
>>1875465
I check if the opponent tend to get the initiative or if he's more defensive. I try to get what his style is (for example: does he bind or not? how much? does he move a lot or not?). I also try to look for "patterns" in his flow.
>>
>>1875465
>How do you size up an opponent before a match?
If possible, I do watch the guy fight, see how he moves, how good his footwork is, see if he is attacking, defensive or counter type fencer, see if he probes first or if he attacks full out, see how he reacts to probing attacks and how hard he counters, check some of his opening moves and parries.

If I cannot prepare, I do the same during the fight, just very cautiously, mind my distance, try to get a measure of the guy first and try to make something out of it. Most of it is instinct and experience as I find it hard to train fight intelligence.
>>
>>1875477
Ok, the two hander is an advanced weapon, I wouldn't recommend to train solo as a beginner, you likely will get things wrong and then have a habit doing so. Best would be you'd join a local HEMA club.

For videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFEUM5fdgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtT3sjO0ocU

you'll find the manuals on wiktenauer.com, just search for the masters mentioned ind the video comments.
>>
File: 7gIyAxS.png (310KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
7gIyAxS.png
310KB, 450x600px
>>1875487
>>1875488
Great additions to my list and within 20 minutes! Thanks guys.
>>
>>1875494
the only hema school i can find in NY only teaches longsword, katana, and occasionally lightsaber.
i bought ken mondscheins book awhile back as well an ive been trying to understand that.
from the little practice ive ahd trying to mimic things ive seen on youtbe and in the book, the hardest thing for me are adjusting my stance during cuts and that my arms get tangled and i find myself having to reset a lot.
would sticking to a single molinelli and figueredo's first rule work ok for right now?
>>
Why are these threads always so dead?
>>
>>1875436
Explain Polish-style judging.
>>
>>1875515
Did you not see the NYHFA? They're one of the more prominent clubs in the country, even if Mike Edelson is a bit of a tosspot.

http://www.newyorklongsword.com

Nobody "teaches" montante really. That's something you and a couple friends experiment during freeplay or outside formal practice sessions.
>>
>>1879818
Richard Marsden said it best: There are more "Aliens: Colonial Marines" reenactors than there are active HEMA practitioners.
>>
>>1875202
Well I applaud your optimism. For tournament fighting, though, I'd be less worried about buffalos than about hand-tapping, gaysler-throwing assholes.

>>1875436
>>1880630
Seconding this; what's the Polish style?
>>
>>1880644
>even if Mike Edelson is a bit of a tosspot.
What do you mean by that ?
>>
File: War_of_the_Buttons_(1994_film).jpg (173KB, 253x467px) Image search: [Google]
War_of_the_Buttons_(1994_film).jpg
173KB, 253x467px
>>1881145
That's kind of like asking me to explain what "asshole" or "jackass" means. A tosspot is a tosspot, brah

>Watch pic related and get back to me,
>>
>>1881260
Re-phrasing then,
What did he do to earn this name?

>Watch pic related and get back to me,
Why would I look at an anglo remake of a French classic since I'm french...?
>>
>>1879818
There are only a few usual users posting. We already said it all between us. Sometimes some newbie shows up with the usual newbie questions and gets the usual answers. We need more active users to have better threads.
>>
>>1880630
>>1880737
Swedish Judging is a Headref plus 4 point judgeds, judges got flags, don't communicate with each others, assign points with flags and the ref just gives the commands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPOQDkcu4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhbcntqyiSo

Polish judging is headref plus two assistants, Refs talk with each others, even may ask fighters what happened and assign points then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2OiVtMnBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDXs62la6aM

Swedish sure looks more formal, but polish is closer to sports fencing and I get the impression it does a better job at making a correct decision.
>>
>>1880737
>about hand-tapping, gaysler-throwing assholes
so, you got problems with your distance management and get snipped often then?
>>
>>1881345
Speaking of newbie questions....what sort of pants do y'all suggest? I'm not into the whole track pants and gambeson aesthetic, but all the people in the tournaments look so suave.
>>
>>1880644
thats the one i was talking about.
and i heard theres a place in DC that teaches it.
only problem is im not in DC.
>>
>>1881495
If I'm leaving my hands out too long, or am off balance and in range, then by all means. But when someone spends the whole match aiming for nothing but the hands and the legs, it gets boring.

>>1881902
If you like the way they look, why not try what they're wearing?
>>
File: Glaives_by_Wendelin_Boeheim.jpg (167KB, 770x551px) Image search: [Google]
Glaives_by_Wendelin_Boeheim.jpg
167KB, 770x551px
Does anyone know shit about Glaives? It's hard to find anything on it, but I know they must have been used in Europe at one point or another? When and by who?

It's a lot easier to find info on Naginta/Guan-Dao use than it is for European Glaives.
>>
>>1880737
I'm definitely one of said assholes. My opponents give me endless shit about my leg shots but they should be thanking me no one else can get them on them anymore.
>>
>>1882065
If you look at treatise, Marozzo and Di Grassi have stuff about a whole selection of pole weapons. Marozzo I'm sure has a glaive-like weapon.
Maybe Silver's Bill can come close to a glaive...

On the weapon itself, I guess that considering the lot of variations of different polearms in the 15-16th centuries, the inconsistencies of the names depending on the regions and time periods, you could probably find a good deal of "bills" and "guisarmes" that could qualify as "glaives" and I suppose that there deployment as more to do with regional particularities and let's say "fashion" or tradition than anything else (the bill in England is a chief example of that). In effect I doubt that they are used vastly differently than any broad blade polearm. Maybe a particular regiment would be armed entirely with glaives (like the bec-de-corbin)...?
>>
What is the best way to organize a crash course of I.33?
Teaching the fundamentals of the techniques so people can get the flow of it, or teaching a few selected plays so people can deduce the fundamentals from them?
>>
>>1882648
footwork, stance and basic guards and strikes.
>>
>>1882698
You're right, those are the first and most important things to learn. But I feel it will be incomplete if I don't put binding in the course too, but I'm unsure on how to explain it in a short time.
>>
>>1882648

A crash course of I.33 is very difficult because the entire book is teaching you how to use common fencing guards to outdo the obsesseo guards that counter them and are used by skilled fencers. I don't have any advice other than going through one or two plays and deconstructing them.
>>
I need to buy a fencing jacket and I'm torn between the now typical SPES axel jacket and the lynx, or superior or whatever it's called elsewhere, jacket https://southcoastswords.com/lynx-fighting-jacket

Are there any opinions on this other jacket? It seems to be nearly identical to the SPES, like an imitation, but costs substantially less.
>>
>>1882875
I say get the Lynx and tell us how it is.

Jackets keep changing and the amount available now is getting so good I can't recommend anything. I was comparing Spes jackets recently and with our club no two are quite the same (quite a long time spread).
>>
>>1881276
Because it's the best version of the story, and it's where my reference comes from. It's also Irish, not Anglo, you racist.
>>
>>1881492
My club does a mixture of both. We have a fightmaster and 3-4 judges who do Swedish-style, but if a judge raises an objection or if there's doubt we all meet up and decide on a ruling, sometimes with input from the fencers. That's how it is for most of HEMA on the western half of the US, it seems.
>>
>>1882020
As I said, nobody really teaches montante. There are no tournaments for it, and we as a community are only just recently devoting any kind of serious effort into studying the (very few) manuals for the weapon.

Just join a HEMA club, and after you've learned the basics of longsword and body mechanics, get a few like-minded fencers together and form a study group for montante.
>>
>>1882065
Yes. The Partisan.
>It's a sword on a stick.
>>
>>1882875
Lynx are surprisingly nice for the money. I'd go for it if I were in the market
>>
>>1882845
Makes sense, thanks
>>
>>1882875
I've heard some good things about the Neyman jacket, but I haven't tried it myself.
>>
Any good videos of of Langes Messer Meisterhau interpretations? Entrüsthau, Zwingerhau and so on
>>
>>1886779
I don't know much about messer, but this video looks good
https://youtu.be/XNeE2GUs7Yk
>>
Do you anons collect historical blades? I got some sabres, a solingen rapier blade, some naval cutlasses and thinking about buying some Bhurmese Dha's.
>>
>>1886808
they look a bit goofy with all the Messer spinning but in general it's interesting, thanks!
>>
>>1887274
I get the appeal, and wouldn't mind owning an antique at some point, but right now I'd rather spend my money on something I'll actually use.
>>
>>1888680
I you are Europe based, visit flee markets and such and keep your eyes open, you can find good historic blades for as little as €50.
>>
>>1889030
>I you
If you...
>>
>>1889032
For you
>>
File: marozzo-1.jpg (27KB, 205x1000px) Image search: [Google]
marozzo-1.jpg
27KB, 205x1000px
Does anyone have experience with Albion's sidesword trainer? I'm looking to start doing some Bolognese, but don't want to spend so much if it's not worth it.
>>
>>1890503
Where can I get 'cheap' Langes Messer, saber and/or rapier [spoiler]ideally with dagger[/spoiler] training weapons (like Feders for longswords) in Europe?
>>
>>1890737
damn, didn't mean to reply to >>1890503
>>
>>1890503
>>1890737
Most go for Danelli or Regenyey. Albion is high end quality, but too expensive and too long waiting list, at least here in Europe.
>>
wtf is the durchtritt, btw?
>>
>>1890899
Are you talking I.33?
>>
>>1890919
aye
>>
>>1890924
Short version, it is countering pressure in the bind from your opponent by footwork, let him have his way, but move clockwise around him, bind him down and then thrust to the face. (first mentioning)
Or it is the same game, just it is like a Dupplieren with trying to catch the blade between buckler and own blade.

Long version, write Roland Warzecha from Hammaborg, or Dieter Bachmann from Hadu, Since the first Durchtritt has no Illustration and the illustrated version is unclear it might be best to ask them directly and see what the state of art for the interpretation is

>t. lousy shield and buckler fighter
>>
>>1890882
thanks!
>>
>>1890919
Is it pronounced Eye 33 or One 33?
>>
>>1892538
That old meme. I only know it's Royal Armouries registry number so I.33 makes more sense.
>>
>>1892538
However you choose really. But I reckon it's the to!an numeral I indicating the number one. So I usually call it one thirty three.
>>
>>1873274
To all rapierfags: best sauce to study rapier and why?
GO!
>>
>>1890503
I've heard Marozzo sidesword by Albion is damn too flexible, but that's all.
Regenyei sideswords are definitely too short for Bolognese style, especially the later authors.
Want a good trainer for a reasonable price? Get ys a basic Danelli
>>
>>1893810
I'd like to know this too
>>
>>1893811
Good to know; can't stand floppy blades.

>>1893810
>>1893817
What kind of rapier do you want to do? The three most popular styles are probably the Italian system (broadly lumping everyone together), Destreza, and Thibault. Depending on that, it narrows things down a lot. For the Italians, you could start with Giganti, Capo Ferro, or Fabris; for Destreza, it's Carranza and Pacheco; and Thibault's sui generis, so that's an easy one.

I've heard that there are also a putative French school that a few people are looking at, and some later period Roman stuff that's starting to get more into smallsword, but I don't know too much about those.
>>
>>1893956
>I've heard that there are also a putative French school
I guess that would be Cavalcabo and Patenostrier, plus their french sorta followers.
In any case, Cavalcabo and his son were fencing instructors of the House of the King during early 17th century and certainly had a lot of influence (that would put him on the level of Fabris for instance). Some French authors like François Dancie (who wasn't easy to please) who published two rapier treatises certainly thought highly of them.
Patenostrier was a famous Roman fencer who taught many french people who went to him for instruction, the treatise he wrote that is present next to Cavalcabo's text is very short (like 2 A4 pages) but Tom Leoni said that it was an excellent summary of italian rapier.

The two main french authors would be Dancie, which is in line with Cavalcabo and had quite the rough style of fighting. The other is Desbordes but it's a complete copy of Agrippa and Pallavicini.

Rob Runacres (of Alte Herren) is one of the only english-speaking person working on those lineages (alongside the French). Apparently it's quite a bit different than Fabris or Capo Ferro though it has some parallels since it's the same time period, same weapon, same country of origin.

Cavalcabo and Patenostrier are available as originals in French, Italian (rarer) and a late German version. There is an english translation of the german one somewhere and Runacres did one of the French version (by Villamont). Tom Leoni has an english translation of the entire Patenostrier treatise (it's fairly short anyway) on his site).
>>
>>1893956
>>Thibault [...] an easy one
srsly?

I belive >>1893810 wanted to start a flame between rapierists. So maybe the focus should be on pros and cons of each author and style.
>>
>>1893956
>>1893990
>>1894006
How's Pascha? Is the german rapier school even a thing? [spoiler]Is it even german or was Pascha inspired by another school?[/spoiler]
>>
>>1893956
>>1893990
quality posts, tvm.
>mark of Clemens Wundes of Solingen, late 17th century rapier blade
>>
File: DSC00095.jpg (978KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00095.jpg
978KB, 3000x2000px
>>1894033
>>
>>1893956
>>1893810
Just in case some people wouldn't know about this, Martin Fabian did a pretty neat introduction on rapier and more specifically italian rapier and more specifically Salvator Fabris's rapier.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4bdKIpRnFJUb0ZEfXn1xZQyodMRp5Q1S

>>1894006
I suppose it isn't Thibault that is easy, but that Thibault is the main sources of the Thibault's school of rapier... because yeah, you can say a lot about Thibault but easy is quite far after some other names.

>>1894033
And about this, here's the Patenostrier
http://www.salvatorfabris.org/Paternoster.shtml

Well this and pretty much all this site is nice if you want to learn about rapier and 17th century italian fencing in general.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
Anyone here do HMB? I tried it out for a few weekends at a farm I work at and they said I was really good for a newbie. Thinking of putting together a set of kit for myself once I get home and start working my old job again.

It's not very historically accurate for sure, but it's pretty awesome to wear a suit of armor and kick the living dogshit out of a similarly equipped individual. Also watching some guys do pro-fighting with longswords is pretty badass to watch
>>
I've started delving into the dark world of youtube HEMA and I realized that we'll never get even close to mainstream with all these aspie, neckbeard personalities in the sport. I'm talking people like skallagrim (an mma friend of mine saw one of his videos and straight up cringed) and people that paint their masks with edgelord bullshit.

How do we get rid of these people.
>>
>>1894312
>people that paint their masks with edgelord bullshit.
HEY [spoiler]you're right[/spoiler]
>>
>>1894359
fucking hell, I always forget that fucking spoilers don't work here
>>
I wanna start Rapier. Which manual is the best for newbs?
>>
File: 1473757585096.jpg (332KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1473757585096.jpg
332KB, 2000x1333px
>>1894312
>>1894359
>>1894361
>tfw kind of want to paint a skull on my helmet's visor for muh intimidation but then I read stuff like this
>>
>>1894440
just do it, who gives a fuck what some nobodies think
>>
>>1894364
I like Fabris and Giganti but the versions I use are both in german:
>http://www.schwertkampf-ochs.de/Essays/FabrisTransscription.pdf
>http://fechtgeschichte.blogspot.co.at/2014/08/das-fechtbuch-des-nicolai-giganti-in.html
>>
>>1894440
>>1894449
Do what you want, man, but for what it's worth, when I see someone I don't know with a painted mask, I usually start from an assumption that they're not very good. Occasionally that assumption is wrong, but it seems like this might not accomplish what you want it to.

>>1894312
Yeah, those people can be annoying sometimes, but I'm ok with this never going mainstream. I really don't see that as a goal we need to be aiming for.
>>
>>1894473
To be fair I only do HMB- it's not like I'd show up to a HEMA event dressed like some wannabe viking with warpaint.
>>
>>1893990
Yeah, that's generally what I was thinking of. Again, I don't know much about it; I'm really just going off the snippets I heard at Longpoint this year.

>>1894025
I can't comment on Pascha's rapier, but if you're looking for a German source you could always go with Meyer. His is arguably closer to sidesword, but it's a fuzzy line anyway.

>>1894364
>>1894460
Tom Leoni's books are all pretty good, if you're looking for English.
>>
>>1894507
Oh, well never mind, then; I have no idea what the norms are for HMB - it's a completely different thing than HEMA.
>>
>>1894518
The thing that saddens me about HMB is that most of the people who do it are people who feel like they have something to prove about how manly they are or something. Only real complaint about the sport is the "one-upsmanship" that seems to infect everyone.

Painting masks is fairly common but I have yet to see a skull for whatever reason
>>
Liechtenauer beginner here. Pretty much only 1 club in my country. Fiore looks neat and fendenti are really fun to do.

So for the "Fiorists" out there, when doing a full cut, do you "aim" and stop lower (compared to a half cut) before pulling into a lower guard? Or is it almost an arc-like movement from posta longa? And does Fiore do any true edge upward cuts?
>>
>>1875515
>the only hema school i can find in NY only teaches longsword, katana, and occasionally lightsaber.
>longsword, katana, and occasionally lightsaber
Kekkler Von Heckler
>>
>>1893811
>Get ys a basic Danelli
Can't do it anymore, man. Danelli's stopped making basic swords for the foreseeable future, his waiting list is into 2018 and Brexit is probably fucking his shit so he'll have to organize an international move on top of that. He's only taking orders for customs, and you'll be waiting two years.
>>
>>1894006
He didn't say Thibault was easy to learn or use, he said it's easy to choose a Thibault-lineage treatise since there's only one to choose from: Thibault's.
>>
>>1894364
>Which manual is the best for newbs?
Giganti 1, probably. (You want to make sure not to get Giganti 2, which was recently rediscovered and is a badly illustrated sequel manual)
Capo Ferro is also good for starting out.

People recommend Fabris because Fabris is a really complete treatise, but you can't get copies of the English translation since Chivalry Bookshelf shit itself and made the value of the used copies insane, and besides that Fabris isn't newbie-friendly at all.
>>
>>1894738
Well I don't like his pommel nuts anyway, but where does that leave us? Is the length of the Regenyei's really that big of a deal? Are there any other smiths out there that do good sideswords?
>>
>>1894798
The length shouldn't be a problem, just ask peter to make a longer blade, he will do that for a small fee.
>>
>>1894901
Does anyone know what the wait time is for his stuff right now?
>>
>>1893956
so that thibault not Destreza ?
>>
>>1894626
Even in the German system a good cut ends in a guard. A full cut ends in Alber what i assume you refer to as a half cut ends in Pflug. There shouldn't be a reset. Ideally anyway.

The Italian system is much the same in this regard.

Fiore is almost entirely true edge cuts. As an anon posted earlier there's only one false edge cut in Fiore.

At where you are right now don't get carried away with styles. Your post reads like you'd rather be doing an Italian style when fundamentally it really doesn't matter. The difference is largely academic.
>>
>>1895673
>Even in the German system a good cut ends in a guard.
A good cut ends in a hit and ends the fights.

Jokes aside, if we do follow the classic cutlines to the Blosse, and if the strike does not connect it is wise to control the blade and end up in a guard, however you do not need to stop here, you can do various short edge, long edge combos where you deliver several strikes and never actually take a guard in between. My interpretation of the strikes to guards advice is that you should always have enough blade control to end up in a solid guard should you not connect, but if you can fence on directly, rather do that.
>>
File: rtr5454.png (460KB, 662x526px) Image search: [Google]
rtr5454.png
460KB, 662x526px
>>1895686
ssshh I think he might be one of mine.

Gotta walk before you run.
>>
>>1895686
>if the strike does not connect it is wise to control the blade and end up in a guard
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I generally think of most cuts as ending up in guard naturally, such that you don't need to change halfway through if it looks like you're going to miss. Like>>1895673 says
>A full [oberhau] ends in Alber
Likewise, an unterhau might not end in a perfect ochs, but it's an ochs-like position that lets you do ochs-like stuff from there. Do you disagree, or am I reading you wrong?

>>1895673
>Fiore is almost entirely true edge cuts.
I curious about this now, since you didn't answer him; Fiore does have upward cuts on at least one edge, right? I mean he's got a million guards to cut between so I assume there are at least some going up, but I don't know much about him.
>>
>>1895852
Fiore describes four strikes, two descending cuts done with the true edge (right and reverse), ascending cuts done with the true edge (from both sides as well), thrusts from five directions (combining up, down, left and right plus a centered thrust) and then two middle cuts that are done with the true edge when coming from the right and false edge when from the left.

So yeah, you do have "unterhau" (called sottano which is pretty much literally the same thing) but it's done with the true edge, contrary to say the Bolognese school where both edges are used.
>>
What is the best source of information on twohanded axe fighting?
I bought a Danish Axe/English Long Axe, and would like to learn the 101 on how to use it.
>>
>>1895686
The best cut cleanly exits your opponent's body allowing you to guard against afterblows.
>>
Thread, don't die before my sword finally arrives in a week or so.
>>
File: 1387040944141.gif (964KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
1387040944141.gif
964KB, 500x200px
>>1896219
>TFW getting my verry first feder or sword for that matter end november from Regenyei
I feel ya brah.
>>
I'm waiting for a sharp from valiant armoury.

excite
>>
>>1895852
>Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I generally think of most cuts as ending up in guard naturally
Nope, a cuts should end in a hit. I didn't want to confuse you, yes, an Oberhau from lets say right vom Tag is struck diagonally downwards to the left Alber. That is the form, this is how we do it.
However, you do not strike to end up in the left Alber, you strike to hit the guy, preferably between neck and should or right in the kisser. You end up in the Alber when you miss for whatever reason and then you stand with your right foot forward, all your right side fully exposed and your sword guarding your lower left which does not need guarding because it is the only part of your body that is out of reach anyways. Now your opponent does a Nachreisen and will strike to your upper right and thats that.
So yes, you do strike to the Alber, but your goal is to connect, if you fail you better come up with some good footwork and a follow up, otherwise you are done for.

Anyways, do exactly as your instructor teaches you and don't worry, you'll catch my drift once you do sparring.

>>1896116
I love to cleave my opponents in half with my 10'000 times folded german messer katana!

>>1896219
>>1896235
Just bought 3 antiques today, naval cutlass 1840's?, Austrian infantry sword, post Napoleonic? and an 18th century German hunting sword. Towels and weapons oil is ready and I will have a great night with those 3 beauties.
>>
>>1896328
It's the entire point of training cutting and trying to build good cutting mechanics... unless tippy tap olympic sabre is where you want hema to go.
>>
>>1896405
So?
>>
>>1895503
wat

>>1896095
I'm not aware of any sources for long axes. Halberd would probably translate reasonably well, but I'm not familiar enough with it to recommend a particular source.

>>1896328
I'm actually not the guy you were talking to before. Obviously you need to be able to react as things change during a fight, but if you're always aiming to cut into longpoint or are always pulling up early then you'll mess up your cuts; they'll land weak(er) in a bind or will end up scalloping. Yes, we cut in order to hit the guy, but the way we accomplish that is by cutting into alber, because that's what gives us the best structure and power. If we have to pull up early, we can do that, but it's an interruption of the cut, not part of it.

This might still be a purely semantic difference, but the way you're describing it sounds odd to me.
>>
>>1896328
When you make a cut from Vom Tag, you should structure yourself in a way that if your cut misses it ends in Pflug or perhaps Langen Ort, not Alber, just as a general standard. Alber certainly has its uses, but it's called Fool for a reason, and I think training yourself to consistently end your missed strikes in that guard is a mistake.
>>
>>1896557
>if your cut misses it ends in Pflug
how the fuck would it end in pflug? how are you even doing pflug? hands at your hip, maybe not too far back, but definitely not extended, right? something like these?
http://myarmoury.com/images/features/pic_arms_gls04.jpg
http://myarmoury.com/images/features/pic_arms_gls05.jpg
>>
>>1896557
I agree from a purely fencing perspective but if I want to cut something I cut to Alber.
>>
>>1896521
Neither do I stop midair, nor do I strike into longpoint, nor any other guard, nor do I strike weak or uncontrolled.
I strike towards my opponents Blosse, thats what the masters wrote in the books, they never said, "strike into Alber" or whatever. Ringeck enjoys it to let the strike end in a guard, but he is about the only guy from the Liechtenauers. Now when I train my newbies I tell them to end in Alber, because that helps a lot with keeping nicks out of the floor and to build sword control. However, in a fight I'd never stop it in Alber if I'd fail to connect.

>>1896328
>naval cutlass 1840's
correction, looks like I'm the proud owner of a 19th british century lead cutter sword, and a nice one at that. The infantry sword is 1820's Swiss ordonance, blade is Peter Küll, Solingen with the Deathheads mark.
>>
>>1896557
Just passing step into it and it will end in pflug.
>>
>>1896588
Meant for >>1896575
>>
>>1896588
what? no it won't. not unless you're pulling your arms in real close at the end. if the natural trajectory of your cut is such that your arms end up bent and raised up at your hip, you're doing something--I mean I won't say wrong, but definitely something weird
>>
>>1896605
A perfect cut should end in Langort I'm not arguing that but with an easy retraction it can end in pflug. Essentially a drawcut.

The anon as an absolute beginner I think it's better for them to think about striking guard to guard
>>
>>1896617
As an addendum: Don't forget not all oberhaus are Zornhaus.
>>
>>1896617
>A perfect cut should end in Langort
I would disagree with that as a general statement. It should pass through longpoint, but if you end it there, you're stopping mid-cleave. Sometimes the situation calls for that, but often it doesn't.

>with an easy retraction it can end in pflug
Sure, but I would call that a separate action; you cut, and once the cut is complete you quickly go into guard.
>>
>>1896651
Each to their own. In my opinion that can be a wasted tempo or an abusable habit. Both are fine and correct. I have no more to say on the matter.
>>
File: Waite1.jpg (79KB, 699x543px) Image search: [Google]
Waite1.jpg
79KB, 699x543px
>>1896583
>lead cutter sword
Now, where do I get a triangular bar of lead?
>>
>>1896521
>What kind of rapier do you want to do? The three most popular styles are probably the Italian system (broadly lumping everyone together), Destreza, and Thibault

Just for ask, I feel confusing
does It mean that
Thibault not count in Destreza system?
>>
>>1896864
Yes.
>>
>>1896219
Which maker is this? I like the rappiers.
>>
>>1896864
I believe Thibault himself considered himself to be in the Destreza tradition, but the Spanish Destreza masters thought Thibault was a "bastard son" and had screwed up their principles, also most people who examine Thibault agree it's a thing unto itself and not really Destreza; he's not normally counted as a diestro. But there's definitely a connection.
>>
>>1896893
Regenyei.
>>
>>1894440
In what world is that actually intimidating though
>>
>>1896966
Price?
>>
>>1897745
280 yuros.
>>
File: Kevin-a82-05.jpg (71KB, 800x618px) Image search: [Google]
Kevin-a82-05.jpg
71KB, 800x618px
>>1894528
That's a straight up stereotype, hmb people see hema people similarly as nerds feeling their art as superior because it's more historical.

Spoiler: Most people in both arts are actually nice and ot's the obnoxious vocal minorities that create these stereotypes.

>>1894507
What type of helmet do you use? I feel like painted helmets are ok in most hmb communities as long as it fits the helmet-type.

Regards fellow hmb-fag
>>
>>1896219
I'll bump everyday if it's necessary dude
>>
>>1897866
you're the hero /hema/ needs and deserves!
>>
>>1896882
>>1896907
could i ask why masters thought Thibault had screwed up their principles?
>>
Are wooden training weapons feasible?
I'm mostly talking about longswords and rapiers (maybe with dagger), because training weapons made of steel are a bit too costly for me and a friend atm.
Afaik Dussacks are pretty much always made of wood or some synthetic stuff and easily available. Any shops that sell wooden longswords/rapiers?
>>
>>1898059
>>wooden rapiers
bless your heart, son
>>
>>1894754
>>1894747
>>1894512
>>1894473
Anybody here ever studied Bondì de Mazo btw?
>>
>>1898175
I don't get it ;_;
>>
>>1898175
I've seen some nice wooden sideswords to be fair. I was very tempted but the postage was absurd as I recall.

>>1898059
Nylon is the going standard right now.
>>
>>1898186
Found some cheap nylon longswords, but are there any non-metal rapiers? Or cheap metal rapiers that are usable for training?
>>
>>1897797
I'm the same guy in both replies- I use a gryphon style bascinet. Good for driving a single heavy point into someone's face when headbutting them.

And you're right- a lot of the dudes and ladies I've met doing this sport are super nice and laid back. But I've also seen like you said, the vocal minorities. (Particularly some of the brits, especially when they get some drink in them).
>>
>>1898059
Yes, wooden swords are ok for beginners, not for rapiers tough.
https://www.woodenswords.com/
https://www.thehemashop.com/protection/protection-brands/red-dragon-armoury

training on your own without any guidance or previous experience is not advised, at least use a fencing mask, eye protection yo!
>>
>>1897901
I don't know for sure, but I assume it's because he did things different from their system - different enough, at least, for them to think it was something else. Possibly something to do with having a different sort of theoretical basis for the system; the circle that he focuses on gets a lot of attention.

>>1898179
Nope, sorry. Never even heard of the guy.

>>1898180
>>1898192
Wood don't flex, son; that shit will hurt. If you want a cheap rapier trainer, try getting a dry epee.

>>1898752
I wouldn't say working by yourself, even without a partner, is a bad idea, you just have to be careful about it. Read the source material, try to figure out what it's getting at, but always remember that you might be wrong. Don't get too set on any one thing, else you might have to unlearn some bad habits later on.
>>
>>1901302
>Wood don't flex, son; that shit will hurt.
I understand that, but for technical training that wouldn't really matter. Or am I missing something?
For actual sparring I need to think about something else, as you said, especially thrusts would hurt like hell with the rigid wooden weapons

>>1898752
>at least use a fencing mask
I'm using protective gear, don't worry. Don't want to cripple or kill myself!
>>
>>1898471
Griffons are nice, several guys in our club use them as well. I couldn't find any reference of painted griffon bascinets so in case you come to Botn, be prepared to have trouble with the authenticity commitee. But as far as I know, the community itself has nothing against painted helmets, just don't get sad when the paint gets scrached by a halbeard or something. :)

I myself used to have a houndskull bascimet for the same pecking reasons but I recently switched to a visored kettlehelm with grill and mail for better ventilation.
>>
File: austrian_sabre.jpg (31KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
austrian_sabre.jpg
31KB, 920x520px
my club doesn't have sabre so I want to learn it by some manual and try that stuff with my trainer.
which manuals exist and should I learn medieval dussack and apply it to a sabre or 'modern' sabre from the 19th century?
>>
>>1901811
Dussack and sabre are rather different, so try a 19th century manual. Theres tons and tons of manuals on military sabre, Italian, French, German, British, pick your poison.
>>
>>1901929
>Dussack and sabre are rather different
I though so but wasn't entirely sure.
gonna look into some military sabre, are there big differences between the different styles?
>>
>>1901934
Some later ones are sporterized and use lighter weapons. What languages do you speak?
>>
>>1901939
german and english, I've found Hutton which looks good but something german/austrian/hungarian would be interesting too
>>
>>1901954
Christmann it is then, one of the most complete manuals of the time, mainly for saber, but contains also different weapons and even battlefield fencing
http://www.fechtsaal.de/training/saebel/christmann/

http://www.fechtsaal.de/media/blogs/de/christmann/Christmann_Anleitung_HauStossFechtens_l.pdf
>>
File: C96_140.jpg (78KB, 793x1123px) Image search: [Google]
C96_140.jpg
78KB, 793x1123px
>>1901976
>>
>>1901976
>>1901981
damn, thanks very much!
>>
>>1901661
>be prepared to have trouble with the authenticity commitee
>authenticity
sweet lord, they're ok with a lot of fantasy stuff*, why would they ban a painted bascinet?

*like this
>visored kettlehelm with grill and mail
>>
>>1902197
>muh authentic equipment
See pic related

The problem with the authencity-comitee is that they are mostly russians who speak only russian and complain about everything. Grill is allowed when as long as it is covered with mail so I gladly take advantage of that. I'm not a reenactor, I'm in it for the sport.
>>
>>1902463
No one never claimed HEMA is about authentic equipment, so what's your point?

I'm sorry the BOtN authenticity committee doesn't work well, and I'm not judging you for their mistakes. I didn't want to sound mean to you, my disappointment is all for the committee.
>>
File: cutepuppies.jpg (240KB, 1598x1084px) Image search: [Google]
cutepuppies.jpg
240KB, 1598x1084px
>>1902463
Yeah, me to, I am also very sorry that this HMB thing didn't work out for you. Here, have some cute puppies to keep the spirit up.
>>
>>1902463
>>1902561
Is it just me, or the committee of botn sems to be a whole bunch of tards?
>>
>>1902611
Not whole botn, just the autheticity commitee. No-one really likes them.
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png (37KB, 2000x1455px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png
37KB, 2000x1455px
>>1828801
Kikeland ftw
>>
There are literally no single HEMA clubs in my country. I have friends that might join me in practicing so I have sparring partners but no teachers.
I have some Calimacil weapons, which are basically hard-foam weapons that weigh around 500g and up. Can I start HEMA with those stuff?
If so, what do and how?
>>
>>1904539
Where do you live?
>>
Reporting a couple of almost-HEMA threads going on in /k/ if you are interested
>>
How hard is it to learn different one-handed swords at the same time?
e.g. Sidesword, Messer and Rapier
>>
>>1905932
Very hard, why are you a prodigy?
>>
>>1905932
It depends on you.
But be aware, you can easily start mixing styles. Which isn't that bad if your in just for the sport part of HEMA, but it is bad if you care for the purity of the art.
>>
>>1905932
While practicing in seperate classes it's alright but youll end up with a style that's a mess of all of them.

If you mean personal learning from sources. Nah, don't be doing that.
>>
>>1904539
Foam swords aren't ideal, but they'll probably work. In terms of what do, the basic process is reading a treatise and trying to do the things the master tells you to do; so you go through the plays and do your best to figure out what you're supposed to do, and then why you're supposed to do it. If you have absolutely no experience, you might be better off starting by looking on youtube for some intro videos, or grab a book covering the weapon(s) you're interested in.
>>
File: 1379098523924.jpg (103KB, 604x548px) Image search: [Google]
1379098523924.jpg
103KB, 604x548px
I love HEMA to be honest.
>>
how do you guys prepare for tournaments?
some special kind of eating, training or anything else?
>>
>>1875460
How floppy is it?
>>
>>1908096
I listen to disney songs. Seriously.
>>
>>1908330
that's... special, but I like it
>>
22, 23 in Jan. Not too late to git real gud at this yet, right? Going to scope the Chicago Swordplay Guild soon
>>
>>1908372
>Not too late to git real gud at this yet, right?
JUST DO IT
>>
>>1908372
It is never too late to enjoy a sport or a martial art. You're not too old to get good enough at it too. What really matters is how much and how good you train.
>>
If any HMBfag still lurks here, I have a question. Why at the BOtN there is a rope between the fighters in the 1 vs 1 with polearms?
>>
Any messerfag got Forgeng's The art of swordmanship my Hans Lekuechner?
Share some messer love please
>>
>>1908722
To keep the distance between fighters and avoid any unnecessary actions, like hugging or wrestling. The main point of polearm is to count the hits anyway.
>>
>>1908743
I'm mostly learning by Youtube videos, wiktenauer and the DVD from Agilitas.tv which is old but still a pretty good entry point
>>
>>1908764
What's the point in keeping distance in armoured fighting? It it about safety?
>>
>>1901661
I never got the authenticity committee thing in HMB. The closest part of "historical" we get in HMB is the fact that we wear armor and club each other with bits of metal. Any other piece of historical accuracy goes out the window honestly. I wear what I can move in easily and will protect me from some fucker truncheoning me in the head with a gigantic polearm, not what was appropriate for a specific time period.

Like a lot of other guys I'm mostly in it to punch other people in the head, although I do appreciate history.
>>
>>1909018
It's just for polearm fighting, so that they actually use their polearm instead of ditching it immediately and throwing elbows into the other guy's head like a normal human being would do if he could get in close

I hate to use this term unironically, but it's basically "artificial difficulty"
>>
File: talhoffer poleaxe.jpg (61KB, 668x427px) Image search: [Google]
talhoffer poleaxe.jpg
61KB, 668x427px
>>1908764
I see. That's a pity, it's the most enjoyable part of polearms fighting. But I understand it can be too dangerous even in armour.
>>
>>1908330
I can show you the world...
>>
>>1908743
http://www.hammaborg.de/pdf/transkriptionen/leckuechner_cgm582/zabinski_mitchell_fritz_leckuchner.pdf
Not Foreng, but a Leckuechner Translation.
>>
>>1909149
I dunno, I think getting a solid hit on the head with a polearm is more dangerous than getting in close with one.

My first time I took a hit to the head from a polearm, it was lights out. I saw an explosion of light in front of my eyes and then I was on my back, wondering what just happened
>>
>>1909031
You honest about that, that's quite remarkable indeed. Thanks
>>
I ordered a pair of Neyman Inigo Montoya gloves abour a month and a few days ago.

I emailed Neyman and they said they were backlogged and could rush it if I was in a hurry, but if I waited, they'd throw in an apology gift.

I'm not really in a rush to get them and I do like the sound of an extra gift, but I feel like if I tell them I can wait, they won't send them for months.

What do?
>>
>>1912071
If you can wait, wait.
>>
File: 1311500912228.jpg (10KB, 159x250px) Image search: [Google]
1311500912228.jpg
10KB, 159x250px
>>1912071
You expected HEMA gear to be delivered in less than 3 months?
>>
>>1912202
No, that's just the time quote Neyman gave me. Another guy in my club has been waiting on a Neyman feder for months. My coach said to start bugging Neyman at the one month point, lest they forget my order.
>>
>>1912207
>My coach said to start bugging Neyman at the one month point, lest they forget my order.
If you can, make club orders, the volume gives you some leverage and preferred processing.
>>
NEW THREAD HERE >>1913021

Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.