[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 37

filters: mma, karate, muay thai, sparring, full contact, grappling, judo, bjj, boxing, cmm, kung fu, sanda/sanshou, sambo, tkd, kyokushin, lucha libre, ameridote, gay sex

Possible topics:
How useful can it be to think about the opponent's center line?
What's the best way of responding to low kicks?

You're encouraged to make any kind of thread about martial arts
>>
File: punching-skeleton-T-Shirts.jpg (12KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
punching-skeleton-T-Shirts.jpg
12KB, 235x235px
>>1783442
Nice thread nerds

What kind of shorts should I wear for kickboxing? I'm currently using regular cotton ones, basic sport shit. prefer it if it wasn't 60 quid edge-kickers

Also, any tips on throwing hooks and generally keeping close to the opponent? I'm a shit kicker.

Bonus points for any skeleton apparel
>>
>>1783442
I think the best response to a low kick would be to step into them, lowering the power it has, and then abusing the fact they are off balance.
>>
What do people think of this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62KZhVid74
>>
>>1783442
>filters: mma, karate, muay thai, sparring, full contact, grappling, judo, bjj, boxing, cmm, kung fu, sanda/sanshou, sambo, tkd, kyokushin, lucha libre, ameridote, gay sex

troll thread, but it will bait people into thinking there is discussion besides /wwe/ in /asp/, so bump
>>
File: 1474231493025.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1474231493025.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>1784472
Why do redditors always label humour as trolling?
>>
>>1784495
my bad

I am not a redditor however.

sorry for the off topic
>>
>>1784051
>tips on keeping close
>I'm a shit kicker
Do they allow knees where you're at? Knees are like a good middle ground between close range and kicking.
You're kickingboixng, not just boxing. Instead of hooks sometimes, throw some knees.
>>
>>1784781
Not allowed to throw knees in sparring.
Last time I got close I did throw one out of instinct, and I hit them in the nuts.

A no-belt took out the instructor :^)
>>
File: b52ba4b4d1783a40f324cbf0d011bddc.jpg (381KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
b52ba4b4d1783a40f324cbf0d011bddc.jpg
381KB, 1280x1024px
>>1784304
>and then abusing the fact they are off balance.
You might as well hit them while you step in since you already took advantage of your opponent's attack.
>>
>>1784801
Yeah, that is a point. I guess use the force generated with the step in to throw a punishing attack, and then keep close? Mind you, that is pretty generic advice anyway: Keep pressure on the opponent
>>
>>1783442
Learn to check kicks. If grappling is allowed, then reaching down to grab the foot can also be useful but it's risky since it also increases the chance of you getting rocked by something else coming after the kick. Gotta find the right time to do it and if you try it, make sure something comes of it.
>>
>>1784304
>response to a low kick would be to step into them, lowering the power it has
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1MmVqTILE4
>>
>>1783442
>stock-photo.jpg
What kick am I looking at?
>>
>>1787475
I don't know but the guy on the left is finding it very effective
>>
File: flying twin front heel kick.gif (2MB, 325x230px) Image search: [Google]
flying twin front heel kick.gif
2MB, 325x230px
>>
>>1784457
>What do people think of this guy?
No idea, but I like how straight forward the video was, and how it didn't drag on, and how it didn't have a lot of unnecessary footage.

In my opinion, the video could have used some slow motion, maybe a few more camera angle changes.
I think it could also have some explanations of some of the utilizations of the combinations, including set ups, situation break downs, stuff like that. Maybe have some sections on variations of the combinations.

Not a bad video, though.
>>
What does /mag/ think about these?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LDVZQ54
I would use them for kickboxing

>>1789020
He does some slow-mo work on specific moves.
>>
File: Chromosome strike.jpg (222KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Chromosome strike.jpg
222KB, 1920x1080px
When you achieve a belt in a martial art school, do you get given the belt? Certificate? I imagine it to be pointless to do this for a white/yellow belt.
>>
>>1789349
White is the start, there's a little booklet where at some point there's a column for exams and the examiner writes which exam you passed and signs it
Also there can be another piece of paper just for satisfaction with all coloured belts and the examiner signs under the one you passed
>>
>>1789382
But what about acquisition of the belt itself? I was reading someone's dojo master ordered it for him.
>>
>>1789408
After you do the exam they give it to you, the teacher yeah, just buys them from anywhere, sports centered shops probably have them
>>
>>1789415
Ty for the knowledge my man
>>
>>1789349
>I imagine it to be pointless to do this for a white/yellow belt.
I think the original point was to do it for knowledge and skill. At some point the belt was a tradition to represent achievement like a trophy, and maybe it was to help get a general idea of what which students knew when your dojo got too big for your intelligence-effort-dedication-and knowledge to keep track of.
>>
>>1783442
Lets say low kick to the thigh. Do you best to time your defense, put as much weight as you can on the leg that is being hit to up its density.
>>
>>1789349
Depends on the organization that your dojo is affiliated with. In judo and bjj you have to enter tournaments by showing a rank card so they know what bracket to put you in.
If your dojo is not part of a national organization, you may not be able to enter sanctioned tournaments.
>>
a
>>
mma, karate, muay thai, sparring, full contact, grappling, judo, bjj, boxing, cmm, kung fu, sanda/sanshou, sambo, tkd, kyokushin, lucha libre, ameridote, gay sex
>>
Anyone have any suggestions to help my Judo?

I'm much more comfortable in newaza but I struggle to get people in a position where I can apply that, anyone have any throws they'd recommend to get me into that position?

>inb4 lol just to bjj
>>
>>1789691
>putting weight on your leg to deal with low kicks
This is how you know someone has never even watched a pro fight, let alone trained.
>>
File: 1471925936698.jpg (23KB, 253x358px) Image search: [Google]
1471925936698.jpg
23KB, 253x358px
>>1783442
The only martial arts school near me is a taekwondo place that seems pretty soft.

I went to Soo Bahk Do as a kid and it was really easy, the instructors were lax, and they taught us sloppy form. The day my dad sat in on a class he pulled me out.

I just want to learn how to fuck people up, and once I move I will be doing BJJ Judo and kickboxing

Should I join?
>>
File: lel.png (8KB, 1367x54px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
8KB, 1367x54px
>>1792699
As long as you know what you're lacking I don't think there's something wrong with it
Also lel wikipedia
>>
>>1792856
I wonder if we could find a reliable source to include into the wiki the fact that TKD is being promoted by Korea for propagandistic reasons, completely unrelated to actual fighting.

Also, that kind of statments usually are challenged and sooner than later find themselves with a [Citation required] tag
>>
>>1792236
>what is Kyokushin
>>
>>1792057
>anyone have any throws they'd recommend to get me into that position?
Double leg takedown.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QleRgTBMX88
>>
>>1793036
oy vey getting answers wrong and behaving badly doesn't make the kid a bad individual, this is why all black people should be awarded free college
What even is her point, she herself says that it's normal to make errors, then says that to avoid said errors you have to "step outside", 18 minutes for a buzzword
>>
>>1793435
>what even is her point
Maybe it's people should consider the possibility they're wrong.
>>
File: 2982270333_1_7_vbLHUUFH.jpg (19KB, 315x416px) Image search: [Google]
2982270333_1_7_vbLHUUFH.jpg
19KB, 315x416px
Does anyone else ever get this strange feeling in their heart when they're about to fight?
I don't think it's doubt or reluctance, kinda like hesitation?
It's strange to describe, did anyone else ever feel this when they got into a fight?
How did you overcome it?
>>
File: vinyl-decal-sticker-2278.jpg (10KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
vinyl-decal-sticker-2278.jpg
10KB, 310x310px
>>1794261
>Put yourself in a situation where you know you are going to get hit, and you are going to be hit by someone who trained to hit you
>surprised when your body kicks in the flight-or-fight mechanic

Don't overcome it. Utilize it and use it. Allow it to give you more power, Anon.

You got this.
>>
>>1794261
Physiological state does have a physical effect on the body, including the heart.
>>
>>1794261
>How did you overcome it?
Exposure therapy.
>>
File: 1474154459083.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1474154459083.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1783442
>How useful can it be to think about the opponent's center line?
totally useless, you got to feel it.
>What's the best way of responding to low kicks?
getting out of reach.
>>
>>1783442
So I just had a pretty shitty day training folks, I don't know what it is but I just was not on form, I'm not going to be an idiot and blame it on anyone else, it's all me, I just wasn't able to pull anything off right today.

We did Kata, fecked that up,
Ne waza too
Randori as well.

I mean, i've had loads of days where I get absolutely destroyed at Judo but walk out feeling fine because at least I tried, it's not like I didn't try today I just have this weird feeling of dissatisfaction with myself, have any of you ever experienced this?
>>
>>1795755
I've had that happen while training judo a couple of times. It always came right before some sort of sinus problems. When your inner ear is fucked it makes for bad balance.
>>
>>1783442
1) You have to be aware of it but like everything in the ring apart from setups, you shouldn't have to consciously think about it.

2) Dodge and counter, check and counter if you can't move
>>
>>1784812
Step and hook to the same side the kick came from. Almost everybody drops the hand on kicking side when they throw, take advantage
>>
>>1795755
Probably just a bad day. Everyone has those days where they try, but fail at their task and then feel like they didn't try hard enough.

I think I'm feeling something similar- after about a year of training I think I've reached a certain plateau. I think that me being young and already fairly in shape, with a history of boxing, gave me the prerequisite skills to get to the level I'm at of Judo and Karate, but now I'm starting to get to that point where I'll actually have to put that real extra effort in if I want to continue progressing forward. Not that I haven't been trying before, but I've been getting that similar feeling that you've just described the past few classes I've gone to.

I guess it just means buckle down and try harder. If it's hard to not fuck up every little thing, then I'll just have to practice every little thing more.
>>
How many times sparring did it take before you could picture a realistic opponent for shadowboxing?
>>
>>1796085
It shouldn't take too long to picture basic punches coming at you, a few weeks/months maybe? Depends how naturally fighting comes to you really
>>
File: IMG_1700.png (4KB, 200x166px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1700.png
4KB, 200x166px
Who here has actually competed at amatuer or pro level, in any MA?

I've been learning kyokushin for about 6 months and am getting curious about what competetive MA is really like
>>
People forget kung fu exists? See the thing with the Chinese is they even have shit Chinese copies of traditional Chinese things, especially martial arts. Kung fu is effectively the individual mastery of individual techniques that appeal to you at whatever time. Wushu and quan fa would be formed by a master who takes his shit to the next level so regardless of your background remember your Qi Gong and discipline, your iron shirt, and your 12 star kick application a long with as much other kung fu shit you can find then practise that shit til you practice in your sleep
>>
>>1797998
What's your point?
>>
>>1796420
>what competitive MA is actually like
Kyokushin, compared to other competitive MA, is one big slugfest tough guy contest with a few head kicks here and there.
>>
Is aikido really trash?

Everyone says they don't spar but it seems like my local aikido dojo does sparring/live rolling/"randori" for the last 30 minutes of class or so.
>>
>>1783442
How big of a room do I need for friendly judo matches? Are there other martial arts that would require more space? Assume no more than 10 people present at a time, but probably only 2-4.

I'm looking to buy a place, but need to make sure I have room for judo, weightlifting, and bag work (I'm wanting to pick up a striking art).
>>
>>1783442
I'm getting laid off from work late this fall, so it might be time for a martial arts break. Where should I go stateside to spend 40-60 hours per week training? Mainly interested in judo, but I'd also be interested in boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, FMA, and parkour (French martial art of running away). If I have enough saved up to justify a trip to Japan come layoff season, I may just chill at the Kodokan (unless there are better places to spend all day training, would love an excuse to go to Russia).
>>
File: floor-tiles-4lg.jpg (57KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
floor-tiles-4lg.jpg
57KB, 500x400px
>>1803021
13 ft by 13 ft is the minimum you would ever see, although 15x15 is more likely just because people like the safety area around the perimeter. You would be able to do one match at a time at this size, and only about 8 people (4 uke, 4 Tori) would be able to work drills at once with that area.
Based on your requirements I would recommend a 15 ft by 30 ft space, which would give you enough space for two matches at a time with a safety perimeter, and you would be able to comfortably have a dozen people on the mat doing drills.
If you aren't planning on having multiple matches going on at once and want a comfortable space, shoot for 20x20.
>>
>>1802613
Partner compliance
>>
File: raaaaaaaaa.jpg (84KB, 579x616px) Image search: [Google]
raaaaaaaaa.jpg
84KB, 579x616px
>mfw my university doesn't have an MMA society/club/gym.

What can I do to take part in as much MMA as possible?

The clubs we have are boxing, judo, jitsu, karate, taekwendo and even some fucking obscure korean juju, and yet noone thought to include MMA...

Is it possible to ask any of these to organise some MMA seshes if I find people who are up for it?
>>
>>1806401
do boxing and wrestling?
>>
>>1806538
How? There is no wrestling club. Do you mean ask the boxing club to do a box + wrestle session?
>>
>>1802613
For an 'On the streets' martial artist yes but it's so much fun. It teaches certain principles very well. Think of it as good DLC rather than your core art.

Also alot of people just like to do a martial art for exercise and fun a few nights a week. Aikido's good for that.
>>
>>1806553
Ju Jitsu is essentially wrestling. Or the closest you've got there.

Do you already practice MMA or are you just caught up in Propaganda.
>>
>>1806553
Then just take judo and do as much newaza. If by Jitsu you meant BJJ then take that instead.

And why this insistence on doing all at the same time? You probably suck at all of those things. Try to get better at punch, taking people down and breaking people limbs before trying something related to punching and breaking people limbs at the same time.
>>
>>1806725
>>1806762
There is no BJJ, there is only- "jitsu". Presumably an old kind.

I don't plan on becoming a proficient martial artists, because I'm going to university to study. An mma gym would be something for the kicks to do with some friends. Yeah, I can pick and choose components of it from all the clubs they offer, but where will I actually be able to spar freely and see them being used in a real application?
>>
Went to a bjj school for the first time today it was very homoerotic
>>
>>1808762
I think that was just you buddy.
>>
>>1808828
I guess
>>
>>1806915
An all of them worth their salt. Boxing and Judo 100% guaranteed.
>>
File: bruce-lee-flexing-5.jpg (24KB, 360x226px) Image search: [Google]
bruce-lee-flexing-5.jpg
24KB, 360x226px
Walking Along The Bank Of Lake Washington

The breeze on the bank
Already blows cool and mild;
The distant merging of lake and sky
Is but a red trace of sunset.

The deep silence of the lake,
Cuts of all tumult from me.
Along the lonely bank
I move with slow footsteps:

Alone the disturbed frogs scurry off.
Here and there are houses,
Cool beads of light spring out from them.

A dazzling moon
Snines down from the lonely depths of the sky.
In the moonlight slowly I move to a gung fu form.
Body and soul are fused into one.
>>
>>1806401
>join the jujitsu and boxing clubs or karate ignore taekwando it's shit.
>>
>>1806553
Judo and boxing m8, what style of karate are they offering?
>>
>>1806401
>>1809798
>taekwondo is shit

yeah, no.

Take taekwondo man its good, in fact take all of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fXqKVyPzyM
>>
>>1810458
The taekwando guy kept getting punched after every single kick of his, very clearly punches to the head weren't allowed or it would have ended in 1 minute
Wait the whole video has the taekwando guy being useless, this is ironic isn't it?
>>
>>1810494
:43 seconds in and the karate dude was getting rekt and even threw himself on the ground which would have caused him to instantly loose in a no rules fight
>>
>>1810517
Woah after only the 100th attempt, one kick manages to make him slip while he's trying a back kick
wtf i love tkd now
>>
>>1810535
Doesn't matter the other guy was failing
>>
>>1793003
I believe in kyokushin you just expose the leg's muscles to get less damage, you don't actually put the weight forward
>>
>>1806538
MMA is more than that these days.
It's Hybrid Kickboxing + Hybrid Wrestling.
>>
>>1811712
>It's Hybrid Kickboxing + Hybrid Wrestling.
It's Freestyle.
>>
>>1806401
Just do the boxing and judo and if there are others that also do both of those, set up an open mat once a week where you can combine them in sparring sessions.

Boom! Instant mma club.
>>
>>1806401
>Make friends with someone from each club
>get them to teach you some stuff
>mix everything you learned
>do internet research on MMA
>develop MMA
>get your marital artist friends to learn your hybrid MMA art
>get everyone together for a fun marital artist party
>do a few sparring sessions
>get everyone to train together
>MMA
>>
>>1810458
What was this supposed to prove? The Tae Kwon do guy lost.
>>
>>1814347
>>1810458
I'm starting to believe this guy is trying to troll us.
>>
>>1815874
>>1814347
>>1810535
If TKD is so useless why did Muhammad Ali learn it? Stop hating on styles, its the individual not the style
>>
>>1793003
A very specific type of karate and competition that doesn't allow for facepunches and has a meta centered around testing toughness by trading shots at chest to chest range or nearly so. There's good reason why people check kicks by keeping the weight off their leg so they can pick it up and force a bad connection in kickboxing and MMA.
>>
>>1815885
>its the individual not the style

I agree on this premise.

Therefore...

>why did Muhammad Ali learn it?

Is frankly retarded.
>>
So, any CMA people around? Does anyone know what styles of kung fu have a heavy kicking factor to them?
>>
>>1815915
White crane
>>
>>1815885
>be good at boxing
>want to learn something else
>know that there's something with emphasis on kicks
>>
>>1815915
I did a short seminar on eagle style kung fu and it was focused on kicks. Don't know if that helps anon
>>
>>1796085
>How many times sparring did it take before you could picture a realistic opponent for shadowboxing?
Sparring didn't help with that. I had to analyze fight videos.
>>
>>1796085
>>1816153
Sparring and analyzing fights didn't help me. I actually had to practice pretending I'm fighting an opponent. Shadowboxing is a skill of itself. In the end I'm just picking and choosing from attacks I already know and pick and chose from ways to respond from them I already know. And it takes more practice and skill to do what happens after that all while keeping the Shadow boxing pace semi-realistic. It's like a big planned out solo semi-improv acting session.
>>
>>1816087
>>1816138
Thanks guys, it's mostly out of curiosity/research purposes for comparison with Taekwondo as far as use of kicks, practice, kicking methods etc so knowing where to start and what to look for is pretty useful.
>>
>>1816319
I believe korean martial arts never had an emphasis on kicking until the jap influenced styles came about
>>
>>1816326
eeeh, probably not to the kind of ridiculous level we see nowdays but Taekkyon/Subak seems to have featured some level of focus on legplay but on a trips/sweeps/low kicks kind of way primarily, and given that old KMA are basically adapted from chinese manuals and influence much like okinawan karate it's plausible that they had their own kicking techniques before japanese karate spread across the country.
>>
>>1816374
I think just about any chinese martial art has low kicks
>>
>>1812054
By Freestyle I hope you don't mean freestyle wrestling
>>
Thoughts on Wadō-ryū? It seems to be looked down on in the karate community.
>>
>>1817851
What do you mean by karate community?
Contact karate? Then it's for the point sparring
Has jiu-jitsu throwing techniques in it
>>
>>1816319
>>1816374
Shaolin white crane is the origin for karate which in turn was the origin of TKD. Taekkyon is the KMA equivalent of a coelacanth. And has no real influence on anything outside of mythic histories tacked on later.
>>
>>1818176
White crane is the origin of goju-ryu
Shorin-ryu has a minor influence from white crane and it's the origin of Shotokan
Shotokan and shorin-ryu are what the guy who made Tae Kwon Do studied
>>
>>1818205
shorin is just the japanese reading of the characters for small forest aka shaolin though. So we end up back at the shaolin origin.
>>
>>1818211
But shorin-ryu looks nothing like white crane
>>
>>1818216
and a mustang looks nothing like a model T
>>
>>1818231
Still shaolin is vague, the biggest common influence of shorin-ryu is Kushanku who they say practiced northern shaolin
>>
>spouting the shaolin meme
Anyone who places any serious value in that name outside of entertainment and possibly historic studies is absolutely retarded. Even in China a ton of schools/styles tried to link themselves to Shaolin by tracing their lineage to some unverifiable ancient monk hero entirely because of the marketing advantage rather than any real stock in the temple's martial instruction, and it's only ever gotten worse with time.
>>
>>1818716
>and possibly historic studies
>>
>>1818716
>possibly historic studies

Why ..why yes that is exactly what we are doing.
>>
>>1818750
>muh shaolin source of krotty
>muh shorin

Nigga this isn't anywhere near historic studies
>>
File: STUPID.jpg (73KB, 462x249px) Image search: [Google]
STUPID.jpg
73KB, 462x249px
>>1818789
>discussing potential mythic origins of thing
>not related to history of thing

It would be foolish to completely dismiss the oral tradition when there is little else recording the origin.
>>
>>1818716
Assuming that's the guy who lets people punch him to make a retarded point about the strength of Shaolin, he's actually a pretty decent fighter when he's not acting retarded.
>>
>>1818099
As is all the other people, who practice karate.
>>
>>1818903
this

yi long is one of the best fighters
>>
>>1819054
>fake shaolin monk
>actual pro record nowhere to be found
>IKF claims he's an amateur
>claims that he knocked out a "champion kickboxer navy seal" are false, he beat an amateur

Yeah no. He's pretty much just another kickboxer out of millions out there, except he has a gimmick to him. The one time he measured up to an actual top fighter in Buakaw Banchamek he got shut out and lost the decision despite having the homefield judges advantage and Buakaw looking for all the world like he didn't even care to try.
>>
>>1784506

>not a redditor
>apologises on 4chan

fuck off nerd
>>
>>1818939
I didn't think other point-sparring had any particular opinion on it
>>
>>1819642
Why did you even reply then?
>>
>>1819826
Because I do shotokan and I've never heard negative opinions on wado-ryu, there aren't negative opinions of any style really
>>
>>1819833
(of karate)
>>
>>1819833
Hmm. I've seen many sneer at it. As if it's some sort of limp-wristed form of karate.
>>
>>1819846
I'd say all point sparring is considered limp-wristed forms of karate, the only things I heard being made fun of are krav maga for being a gimmick and tae kwan do for being unable to respond to parries and grabs
Maybe it's simply that we're not exposed to it or that they perform badly in point sparring for having a focus on throws
>>
>>1819869
I think it's about the technique itself. There's a lot of emphasis on evading and body control.
>>
>>1819833
>>1819835
Nigga there's a ton of negative opinions on karate styles, and wholly deserved too. General light/no contact competitions (pretty much anything recognized by the WKF really) that count all connections as equal, stop all action on a connection and encourage practitioners to engage in a pose-off to try and convince the judges they've scored are lambasted as a game of competitive tag.

Kyokushin gets more respect for being full-contact and for having a ton of influence in modern asian rules kickboxing, but its competition format of no punches to the head and no grappling whatsoever lead to this retarded meta where people engage in chest to chest exchanges of body blows and/or low kicks with little to no defensive technique until someone gives and opens themselves up to getting kicked in the head.
>>
>>1819169
>actually trained for 3 years with the monks
>has a fight record you're just too stupid to find it

And he is not just another kick boxer you buffoon. He does a lot of kung fu kicks and he actually rekt bukaw so much people were saying Bukaw was loosing on purpose and the fight was rigged. Not to mention he fought many other pro fighters. and

>not knowing how thai boxers fight

kek kid go home
>>
>>1820266
http://www.canbike.org/sports-entertainment/yi-long-shaolin-monk-fight-record.html
>>
>>1820323
Why are you linking me to his fight record? You are the one who couldn't find it.
>>
Am I wrong to think that blue shorts aka Dave Zuniga's kicks are terrible?
He's an instructor at my local gym and I think he's teaching people the wrong way to kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U826qQLB_k
>>
>>1794261
blood lust. not trying to be edgy but it helps to imagine that it's a fight to the death and you want him dead.
>>
>>1820516
There are a lot of variations on the front and round kick. I think you should learn his way that works for him, he has to teach you what he does the best because that is the best deal for you, but also learn other ways to do it.
>>
>>1820516
He's a total amateur. Switch gyms.
>>
>>1820516
He kicks like he's doing capoeira . While not wrong per second I'm not sure it's what I'd want for kickboxing
>>
What do if the only boxing club in town has posts on facebook saying "Vi gillar olika!" and comments on the feed by members saying that they should work hard to try to attract refugees there?

I tried Muay Thai once in another town and while it was a good place where I knew some members I couldn't stay because they had an influx of +25 Afghanis in under a month.
>>
>>1820907
Go to a based white nationalist trump supporting gym and you will be the next connor mcgregor

You dont want to train with ptsd train wrecks, believe me, they get angry and stupid and cause injuries. Keep them in their countries, give them weapons, watch them murder each other.
>>
>>1821028
I'm not a "WN" faggot m8.
I'm in Sweden and Muslim refugees are a serious problem in society, I don't want to be near them, and I say that as a non-Swede.
>>
>>1820178
Nigger read the conversation
>>
>>1820907
Join asap

>>1821034
>Sweden
Now your post makes sense
Change sex to turn back to being male and then join
>>
>>1820660
>He's a total amateur. Switch gyms.
Yeah because beginners are entitled to and are fully capable of using training from professional fighters.

That's like saying all science teachers are shit and shouldn't be teaching and Stephen Hawking should be teaching middle school level science because everybody else isn't good enough.
>>
Can I be a boxing champ if I started at 18?
>>
>>1821392
are you any good? Are you already fighting professionally? And if so how's your record and performance looking? It's not impossible but not exactly highly probable, especially since you're posting on 4chan.
>>
>>1820516
that kick is soooo slow
>>
The basics of what works is already in knowledge of martial arts and combat sports. What some ex professional champion fighter will say works is the same exact fucking bullshit everybody else says.

It's the most stupid fucking thing ever to judge quality of a martial arts gym just by some stupid fucking ridiculous fucking fight record.

>how do I know it's good
>look for fight record
>how do I know I learn good
>look for fight record
That's some of the must stupid bullshit I've ever heard in my mother fucking life and it's this stupid ass dipshit bullshit that gets spouted here all the damn time. This shit is so fucking stupid I want to blow up humanity.

How good some gym will be depends on how good the instructors are at teaching, period.

You learn the jab, you learn the cross, you learn the roundhouse kick, you learn the double leg takedown.
Everybody fucking already knows this shit, you don't need a fucking 157,979,252 - 0 fight record to teach that bullshit to dipshits.

You don't then need some bullshit stupid as fucking record to teach dipshits some cool, efficient and effective ways to use those in a lot of situations.

This bullshit is so fucking stupid and it has gone to fucking far. This fucking place is spreading stupid ass fucking bullshit all over to the minds of people and it's making the world a worse place. This is bullshit. Fuck you guys and your bullshit.

If you're trying to help, you're doing a shit job, and you're making things worse.

You claim to sell the method of effectively finding a good gym, but you're just selling stupid as fucking useless crap that might work sometimes.
You are a mcdojo, you spout mcdojo bullshit when you try to help people avoid mcdojos. It's fucking ironic, and it's fucking stupid as fucking hell.
>>
>>1821694
>t. ninjutsu teacher
>>
>>1820356
>I didn't read that link but I want an excuse to act like a fucking faggot so here I am
>>
>>1821354
This. The fucker got a 3 minute knockout in that video. Leave it to the fucking neck beards on 4chan who did 4 months of BJJ to talk shit. I would heem half of the shit talkers on here.
>>1821694
This pussy included.
>I'm not a fighter but listen to me and pay me money pls I will have a ninja themed birthday party for your kids
Get da fuck outta here
>>
>>1821872
not him but

>im not a fighter

You don't need to be a professional fighter to teach or be efficient in martial arts or fighting
>>
>>1820516
Have you sparred with him? My coach's standup doesn't look that good on film but goddamn is he impossible to deal with in real life.
>>
>>1789479
If i remember correctly the colour belt system originated from judo when it came more popular and the group sizes changed from 1 master - 1 student to 1 master - 20+ students.
It's more easy to keep track of the students skill level when they are colour coded
>>
>>1821924
lol

>I've never fought but I know with 100% certainty I can teach people to fight
>>
Come shitpost in my thread
>>1823206
>>
>>1821924
No, you really do need to be a fighter to teach someone how to fight
>>
Breaking someone's arm in an armbar should disqualify you but simulating an armbar should win the fight.
>>
what does /asp/ think of muh boy?

https://www.youtube.com/user/FightSmartTrav
>>
>>1824493
i just skimmed through 3 videos
could be a lot worse
i'll give him a single gold star
>>
Did anyone go to the helio roll yesterday? It was pretty cool learning that headlock escape from modified top mount from Rorion Gracie
>>
>>1823518
That is completely false. Muhammad Ali learned from a non fighter (someone who didn't compete). You don't know what you're talking about kid.
>>
>>1823518
Actually, many great coaches weren't really noteworthy competitors and many noteworthy fighters who tried their hand at coaching ended up being really bad at it. Being good at something doesn't automatically mean you'll be good at teaching people how to do it.
>>
>>1824493

>how to fight multiple opponents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyxxipb1Mg

>clinch
>front kick to the stomach or knee or use head movement
>countering makes clinch better
>>
>>1823518
>>1821872
Fighting is one skill. Teaching is another skill. Being a good teacher doesn't make you a good fighter. Being a good fighter doesn't make you a good teacher.
>>
>>1826662
>Thinking any of this will actually work
>>
>>1826732
>>Thinking any of this will actually work
>implying

I'm saying get rid of the clinch all together and just use kicks and head movement/knees if you didn't kick good enough and let your shitty opponent in range like an filthy amateur.
>>
>>1826732
it does
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDwElujg_s
>neural pathways
>kinesiology

I like this guy.
>>
>>1826774
It doesn't man unless your a very good striker and you can knock out 3 people in a row your wasting your time with this the guy in the mauy thai head thing can easily take you to the ground then theres 2 other people to stomp your shit in
>>
>>1826750
And then what do you expect to be able to knock all of them out with kicks the only thing to do in this situation is to run
>>
>>1826803
>the guy in the mauy thai head thing can easily take you to the ground
That's possible but I think you're overestimating the skill of street opponents which is what you're probably facing in multiple opponent fights.

If you're fighting elite secret service commandos for some reason then you might have a point.
>>
>>1826803
I use a thai clinch in bjj all the time, if you have a good clinch it ragdolls people

if you have more than one person attacking you, meat shielding is the most reliable option. Everything he's saying is right. Your center line is completely safe when you have someone trapped there, then all you need to do is watch your angles.
>>
>>1826816
>And then what do you expect to be able to knock all of them out with kicks
If not KO, then TKO them with kicks.

>the only thing to do in this situation is to run
Leave your homosexual pussy frightened little girl running away for the Parkour threads. Why the hell are you staying there and fighting when you want to run away?
>>
>>1826829
Idk about that man if the guy is in a thai clinch for a couple minutes he's gonna want to do something and that seems like a reasonable thing to do
>>
>>1826843
I'm not staying there and fighting multiple opponents but if that makes me a pussy so be it
>>
>>1826868
The point is you could've run away in the first place.
>>
>How to Beat Someone Bigger than You

This video is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgoLLezD14
>>
File: 1472763000760.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1472763000760.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>1826843
Fuck you. Parkour is a martial art, mother fuckers!
>>
File: 1472763035740.gif (862KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1472763035740.gif
862KB, 260x146px
Parkour; fuck yeah!
>>
File: Tic Tac.gif (838KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Tic Tac.gif
838KB, 260x146px
Fucking Parkour, mother fuckers!
>>
>>1826884
>running away from 3 hoodlums when you're with your wife and you're a martial artist
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGzEyVuNhg
>>
File: 1371254509697.png (8KB, 645x759px) Image search: [Google]
1371254509697.png
8KB, 645x759px
Started taking Judo classes just a couple of weeks ago and tomorrow we're starting randori. I feel scared and nervous about getting destroyed as I'm not exactly confident with my shit.

Any advice besides not being a fucking pussy?
>>
>>1828637
Pray that your sparring partner will go easy on you. It would be a good idea to spar with an experienced brown or black belt, they will be able to scale down to your level safely and go easy unless you happen to spar with a tryhard.
>>
>>1828345
Read the OP, hetero sex not allowed
>>
>>1828637
Get used to getting destroyed. Everyone was a beginner at some point, and unless they are/were extremely talented they likely went through an early period of getting outclassed badly in Randori until they figured out how everything ties together. If your club is anywhere near halfway decent, you'll spar with someone who'll know it's your first time and go easy on you and ease you into the experience.

But you should definitely be prepared for the frustration that is stepping up and finding out that the stuff you practiced isn't working as well as you hoped it would. It's just part of martial arts in general man, and it builds character. Nothing is as enlightening and creates as much discipline as finding out that you ain't shit, but then you stick with it and you see your progress in a really measurable way and it's just a fantastic feeling.
>>
>>1828637
You're a beginner the only thing you're getting judged on is your entry and mostly how fast you get back up.
>>
>>1828227
>when you're with your wife and you're a martial artist

>be martial artist
>have wife
I'm a real martial artist. I don't have time for that wife bullshit.
>>
>>1828227
>having a wife
>setting yourself up for cuckdom
>>
>>1828637
Go for it. I started a month ago at a place that puts you straight into class with everyone else. Falls, moves, and "randori" (with people usually going easy) from day one.
>>
>>1828637
I've pretty much quit judo, I still pay monthly but haven't been in about 3 weeks
I started in february and don't feel like I'm really learning much of anything. I just keep getting hurt and everyone beats up on me

I'm not having fun
>>
>>1832407
It's probably a point where you know so little you can't know what you should improve on, I'd at least try to go for one more full month
And conserve the pride for when you'll actually do things to be proud of
>>
>>1832407
Sounds like a failure of the instructor. (This is speaking as someone who teaches judo). Have you expressed this to the instructor?
>>
File: 1469972230343.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469972230343.gif
2MB, 480x360px
Is Lima Lama a meme? Jewtube videos showcase both bullshido disarms and solid sparring so Im not sure.
>>
>>1832849
I said I'm not really learning anything and he said I'm right where I need to be, my goal as a white belt is to not get smashed

I always feel very uncomfortable there, aside from the beatings everybody dishes out on me, they also tease me constantly and break my balls about everything
>>
>>1834258
>they also tease me constantly and break my balls about everything
They could just be being dicks or since you're a part of their special group they feel comfortable enough to joke around with you. It's also possible they have some shared belief about internal strength or some shit.
>>
>>1834126
What the fuck is Lima lama?

>>1834258
>white belt

You're supposed to suck. You either accept that and keep working or you give up because you realized dedicating yourself is hard. Your choice.
>>
>>1834126
>>1834973
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limalama

reads like a meme to me
>>
>>1835266
>>
>>1834994
>literally making up a martial art from ethnic dance moves

It's not just a meme. It's THE meme.
>>
File: aikidoart.jpg (224KB, 682x981px) Image search: [Google]
aikidoart.jpg
224KB, 682x981px
>>1835706
Eh I don't think it's anywhere near well known enough to be THE meme. I feel that goes to either Aikido or the entirety of chinese martial arts with Wing Chun in particular taking the cake.
>>
>>1836238
You don't understand. Calling a compliant martial art that only does forms and kata an ethnic dance as been an /asp/ meme for a long time. This martial art was LITERALLY developed from an ethnic dance. It's THE meme art of the century.
>>
>>1836263
I know about the ethnic dancing but, again, I'm not sure Limalama can be THE meme because it's just so minor and unknown compared to Aikido or the Chun. Sure it's literally dancing but so is Capoeira, which is also much more well known.
>>
>>1836263
>>1836335
I don't think is as bad as you claim it to be. Unlike aikido, lima lama classes include lots of striking techniques (both, punching and kicking), there's sparring and the tournaments are based on open combat, not by points; that by itself puts it above only katas MA like some chinese MA or the already mentioned aikido. I think there are some videos of guys being actually KO in tournaments and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EQMvixVLEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXmiDTEi7U

Now, I'm not claiming is the best ma ever and 2deadly4u, and shit. As with all MA, it depends on the place, and unfortunately there's a lot of McDojos claiming to "train" lima lama, but they teach a glorified ethnic dance, however there are also places that train full contact and prepare themselves for competitions.

In other words, a mcdojo is a shit place to train anything, call it muay thai, karate, lima lama or some made up art. But in a legit place, lima lama is on par with, let's say, kickboxing.
>>
File: 480px-Tibia_-_frontal_view2.png (51KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
480px-Tibia_-_frontal_view2.png
51KB, 480x480px
Anyone knowledgeable about shin splints? I don't know if I have them, but about two weeks ago I took a break from training because my shins were so sensitive that any contact to them in judo training hurt severely.

It was then when I noticed that my shins and feet had swollen quite a lot, and there was internal bleeding visible in the feet. Both the swelling and the bleeding have reduced considerably, but there's also a lot of swelling left. Some pain upon contact also remains.

I don't do any other forms of exercise besides judo, so about the only cause I can think of is getting kicked in the shins in randori.

Does anyone know of a way to speed up recovery or how to prevent this from happening again? Would shin guards help? Should I go see a physiatrist?
>>
>>1836656
>But in a legit place, lima lama is on par with, let's say, kickboxing.

'no'
>>
>>1783442
For confidence and defense is it better to train in /asp/ martial arts or /fit for serious gains?

Pretty awkward to do the 2 because I don't have many days off work.
>>
>>1837479
Did you talk to your doctor before you began training and such? Have to talked to them since this started? What about the person training you? Or your peers?
Stop fucking asking us and ask professionals
>>
>>1837479
Definitely wear shinguards now
>>
>>1837513
/fit/ avoids fights altogether
>>
>>1837479
I used to run track, so shin splints were just a part of the lifestyle
I had them for years because they never heal if you keep running since the tissue tears every time you step down

I don't think you have splints though, shin splints are caused by compression stress which is why it's common for people who run and jump on hard surfaces. if you're getting them from being chopped laterally then you are probably dealing with more severe fractures
>>
>>1837513
Serious gains seriously do pretty much nothing for you in a fight against anyone with an ounce of skill in their bag of tricks.

Training martial arts or getting /fit/, you will develop a body to be confident about.

Training in /asp/ martial arts will give you confidence in your abilities, as a person, not just a sack of fancy meat like getting big muscles will get you.

On top of an already fit body, if you go /asp/, you develop your mind as well as your body, you develop skill and you join a community of athletes and physical artisans who have fun practicing their discipline.

On top of an already fit body, if you go the /fit/ rout, you just get bigger muscles. Or maybe you also get more tone muscles.
>>
>>1836656
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EQMvixVLEY
that guy in black was just terrible, sheesh... I've never seen someone stand with all their weight on their heels like that before
>>
>>1783442
i wanna start some hobby that would work in real fights too, what you guys recommend?
>>
>>1837971
BJJ, muay thai, judo, boxing, kickboxing, sanshou, wrestling
>>
>>1837971
Practice a martial art any martial art, as long as the instructor is good at instructing, as long as they spar multiple times a month (if things go regularly), and as long as they aren't only there to take your money.
But even if they are there mostly to take your money, if the instructing is good, and you enjoy practicing, that's completely fine.

/asp/ likes to call places that have bad instructors, a cult mentality, a lack of regular sparring, and an abundance of money taking: "mcdojos."

/asp/ likes to recommend Western Boxing, General Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and best of all, Mixed Martial Arts, because, supposedly, and note the supposedly part, they're less likely to be McDojos.

However, the only true way to even start to get an idea for whether or not a place of practice is a McDojo, is to take classes regularly and often for 1 month.
Even then, that may not provide you with adequate information to get to any meaningful, and note that word, "meaningful," conclusion.

In the end, it's not the martial art that determines whether or not it will work in a fight, it's the training methods.

In the real end, you have a computer and access to the internet, you probably have a fancy cell phone with access to the internet, you probably have access to dozens of grocery stores just in in your relatively immediate surroundings, you probably have your own nice and comfy bed, you probably have access to a working toilet in your home, you probably have access to a working shower in your home, you probably use toilet paper regularly.
You probably lived in a developed society. You probably don't only live in a developed society, you probably live in a developed society with developed rules and social norms, not just rules, but social norms, that directly work against and to prevent fighting.
Why the fuck does it fucking matter if it mother fucking works in a fucking fight?
The chances are extremely low that you will fight.
>>
>>1837971
just understand bjj is one of the most bluepilled things around. Beyond the first 6-12 months of training it no longer offers any practical self defense techniques and just becomes flash sport jiujitsu shit

also understand you are in for a very rude awakening when you pick up some kind of boxing, and then punch a man in the head for the first time and your hand shatters into a million pieces because you are used to having wraps and gloves to protect them

also be ready for when your ability to block is significantly reduced because you don't have big pillow hands to protect you from the other who doesn't have big pillow hands either
>>
>>1837971
Even if you're actively being a huge asshole and actively seeking out combat with strangers, it's still not likely that you'll get into a fight.

Just fucking train a fucking damn martial art that you like with fucking other mother fucking students that you can fucking tolerate at the very least, students that you may even fucking grow to like.

It doesn't fucking matter, nothing in the whole damn world matters, just have some fucking fun, fucker.
>>
>>1837971
You know what's even better than training a single martial art like Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Sanshou, Wrestling, Judo, or BJJ?

Mixing martial arts. Mixing them like in a mixed martial arts gym.

A halfway decent martial arts gym will give you all of the benefits of those single arts, all while not giving you the specialized bullshit.
On top of that, they'll even teach you how to use the specialized bullshit once you get good enough to pull them off in non-limited MMA situations.

MMA is more real than any Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, Boxing, Kickboxing, Sanshou, or Wrestling competition.
>>
>>1838017
>this is what RBSD and ninjers actually believe
>>
>>1838244
not sure what you're getting at here
>>
>>1817851
Ive trained in both Kyokushin and Enshin (mostly Enshin) when I moved away from Denver I tried out different styles of traditional Karate. I found Wado-ryu to be one of the better ones. All traditional styles will focus alot on very stiff coordinated attacks but Wado seemed more natural to me the stance werent as long as they were in shotokan and more of the blocks were tighter and more focused on protecting the face. It also had more focus on Tai Sabaki which I really liked

I think the reason why its shit on by other schools is because it strayed from Shotokan so much I think Wado was the first style to really try to separate itself from Okinawa and become more Japanese by adding in more jiu-jitsu.

I also want to add that even though I preferred Wado I still would not substitute it over Full contact Karate.
>>
>>1837968
Only if you see a big guy for you, you think that if you try and pull that off it would be extremely painful
>>
>>1838275
>bjj offers no benefit after 6-12 months

Borderline retarded. You're not a master grappler in a year and especially if you're a small guy you need a shit load of mat time if you want to be able to beat someone with an advantage on you

>hurr durr you'll break your hand if you punch someone

First of all people punch eachother all the god damn time and don't shatter their fragile glass like hands everytime they do. Especially if you understand proper punching technique have conditioned your wrists through, you know, punching stuff.

Moreover, I'm more concerned about breaking an attackers face than breaking my knuckles.

>hurr durr it's harder to block

But not impossible, and even if it was blocking is the least desirable method of defense. Don't eat what you can block, but don't block what you can parry and don't parry what you can avoid altogether. If you had any real experience boxing tou would know this.
>>
>>1838301
*with a strength and size advantage over you
>>
What's the difference between Muay Thai and kickboxing?
>>
>>1838347
You're going to have to be more specific. Muay thai is a form of kickboxing, but not all kickboxing is mauy thai.
>>
>>1838347
That people in thailand are poor as shit and fight for their life
>>
>>1838301
know why naga considers anything past 6 months intermediate? because anything past 6 months is intermediate.
You only need to be a master grappler if you plan on fighting other grapplers, in the case of regular people you will never, and I repeat never need anything beyond hip bump, straight arm bar, head and arm, and simply understanding how to old top pressure, technical stand ups, and retaining guard. maybe a kimora trap just so you have an option
it doesn't take much grappling knowledge to beat people that don't know what they are doing

I'm certainly not worried about my hands by the way, I condition them, I don't use glove or hand wraps at all
>>
>>1838362
I wouldn't feel safe banking my life on doing the bare minimum. If you honestly think a 150lb Manlet is going to do just fine with 6 months of training against a 250 lbs gorilla man who may have also been a high school wrestler in the past you're an idiot.

Prepare for the worst case scenario, not the best.
>>
>>1838347
Most kickboxing include punches and kicks. Kickboixng is more of a general term than an art itself. Kickboxing gyms are usually a mix of different Kickboxing diciplines.

American Kickboxing doesn't allow strikes below the waist.
American Kickboxing also doesn't hammer-fists, back-fists, knife-hand strikes, elbows, knees, sweeps, clinching, and sweeps.
Throws are not allowed in American Kickboxing.

K-1 Kickboxing allows clinching with only one hand while delivering a knee.
K-1 Kickboxing allows foot sweeps, but only below the ankle.
K-1 Kickboxing also allows backfists.
K-1 Kickboxing doesn't allow elbows or knife-hand strikes.
Throws are not allowed in K-1 Kickboxing.

Muay Thai allows elbows, knees, clinching as well as punches and kicks.
You can clinch with both hands as long as you want in Muay Thai.
You can sweep in Muay Thai, and backfists are allowed.
You can throw your opponent in Muay Thai, but you cannot use hip or shoulder throws.
There are no rules that I know of that go against knife-hand or hammer fists.

Kyokushin Karate, which is also Kickboxing, allows elbows, knees, hammer-fists, back-fists, knife-hand strikes, and sweeps.
Kyokushin Karate doesn't allow any clinching.
Kyokushin Karate doesn't allow any throws.
>>
File: Hybrid MMA Gloves.jpg (656KB, 2814x1210px) Image search: [Google]
Hybrid MMA Gloves.jpg
656KB, 2814x1210px
Let's talk about Hybrid MMA gloves.

Are they a waste of money?

Are they a meme?

Should people just not use these things?

Are these the next best thing to happen to martial arts equipment?

Are these highly underrated?

Should everybody be using these gloves?
>>
Hey m8s. What is the best martial art that I can learn with my own (and maybe a friend).
>>
>>1789005
Good way to break a MF's neck. What an Asshole.
>>
>>1838699
you can get an official gracie academy bjj blue belt!

and then get laughed out of any academy you go to with it and likely have it stripped from you by the teacher
>>
>>1838699
You can learn any kind of form, but if you get something wrong you'll be repeating that mistake until someone corrects it, consider that forms are are like a warm-up to fighting and that one form is enough to last you 6 months
>>
>>1837969
Even the arbiter had to stop the fight twice to check if the black guy is still able to keep fighting. I suppose he'll deny it these days if you ask him, but truth is quite probably was legitimate scared of the blue guy, and that's why he adopted a defensive stance, maybe unconsciously, hence the weight being on the back and on the heels. And that's also why he keep trying to use only kicks rather than exchanging punches.
>>
>>1838699
You can learn form as long as you pay close attention to detail.

Record yourself doing each movement, and correct any mistakes if you make any. Keep practicing those single movements until they are perfect, and then string them together.
>>
>>1838699
Once the element of a partner is introduced, you're opened up to much more easily and efficiently train timing, reaction time, and develop reflexes through sparring and drills.

Technique is only so important.

Technique doesn't mean jack shit if you don't have the timing, reaction time, and or reflexes to hit your opponent and not get hit.
Technique doesn't mean jack shit if you don't have the timing, reaction time, and or reflexes to grapple your opponent and not get grappled.
>>
>>1839791
Lmao, if you don't have the timing, reacton and reflexes then I'd say you have shit technique.

Btw. Just started boxing. What are some good exercises to do for it and also, how the fuck do I block gut shots?
>>
>>1838699
You cannot learn any martial art by your own, with or without a friend.
This should be stickied in any /mag/.
>>1840094
This
>>
>>1840094
>Lmao, if you don't have the timing, reacton and reflexes then I'd say you have shit technique.
You must be a super genius.
>>
File: pol sticky image.jpg (582KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
pol sticky image.jpg
582KB, 1600x1131px
>>
>>1837479
4 year judoka here, that's actually very common. Start conditioning your shins like mauy thai guys do, and make sure to start lifting as well. Judo is a very injury prone sport, and if you don't train your body parts while also asking a lot from them, they will 100% get injured. Train your legs, calves, and make sure to train the muscle on the anterior side of them as well.
>>
File: gekisai_dai_ichi-1.jpg (74KB, 400x276px) Image search: [Google]
gekisai_dai_ichi-1.jpg
74KB, 400x276px
Is this how people attack and defend in Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZQoY0q8dY
>>
>>1837479
Brown belt judoka here. Take a break and start doing a yoga routine that includes down dog and hip mobility segments. While you do that, read a book called starting strength. When you feel good enough to do it, train the starting strength program (or any compound strength program). Return to judo with flexible hips and power and you will feel better and be less injury prone.
>>
>>1842493
only meme karate practicioners. AKA nobody.

actually japs have some dangerous people, but of course, these people do judo, wrestling or kickboxing (who is relate to karate but without stupid meme things.
>>
>>1842493
These videos only make sense if you're practicing forms
>>
>>1828637
>>1832407

>tfw everyone in my club is green belt or higher
>tfw when consistently getting rekt in randori for 8 months now

gradings soon, maybe a new belt will boost my skills through ancient japanese magic
>>
>>1842493
It's bunkai, which is essentially karate practitioners trying to figure out what the fuck the kata they've repeated all their life actually translate to in fighting. Since a ton of them have rarely fought and have stuck to playing competitive tag the result is they just look for ways to justify the crap they already do rather than anything applicable.
>>
Is judo a serious martial art or is it just a "medal for participation" activity for kids?

What are the most brutal martial arts?
Will pick up boxing and want something more aswell, I have minor experience doing Muay Thai but I dislike kicking though I could consider it if convinced.
>>
File: 1434093141327.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
1434093141327.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1832407
3-5 weeks break is nothing. Don't flatter! keep on going and you will se improvement at the beginning of next season where you rekt the new white belt. You'll remember then that you started there.
>>
judo teacher had a heart attack on the mat the other night. Surprising turn of events
>>
>>1843901
did he dies
>>
>>1843807
=\\\+///=
>>
>>1843933
had 3 stents put in, but is alive
>>
>>1843807
Judo is one of the few arts that you would have a hard time bullshitting your way through. Either you are throwing people or you aren't. No real in between.
>>
Does anyone know what happened to the bodyweight generals? I remember there used to be one up all the time, but I checked the archives and it's been 4 months without one here and 2 on /fit/. Did everyone just lose interest?
>>
Just learned about Saenchai taunting McGregor in february. Did Gregor answered?
Also I actually discovered Saenchai only recently, this guy is incredible, watching him fight brings such a huge smile and chills.
>>
>Tfw you finally discover the greatest passion of your life in muay thai but you're past 35, in bad shape and will probably never be able to fight

Kill me.
>>
>>1844623
anyone who was ever any good a muay thai can't fight past 35 anyway
>>
>>1844656
Yeah that's the thing...pretty fucking sad. Training and sparring is still fun but even without thinking about amateur fights, if I wanted to be realistic, I should probably take a less violent martial art too...

If I ever decide to switch, what are good ma for 40+?
>>
>>1844662
>If I ever decide to switch, what are good ma for 40+?
Point Karate.
>>
>>1838676
It seems like you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage if you wear these while your opponent is wearing 4oz MMA gloves like most people.

As long as it's a comfortable glove, mma sparring should definitely be done with these on; kind of like how Boxers like to spar with 16oz gloves or heavier.

But everyone's also being a bitch while Karate guys are punching each other full force bare fisted.
>>
File: fist.gif (16KB, 262x301px) Image search: [Google]
fist.gif
16KB, 262x301px
>>1844680
this guy gets it
>>
If it's actually likely that I will be in real life fights, what's the best martial art for me?

I'll be picking up two martial arts, one will be boxing and the second I don't know.
I have minor experience in Muay Thai but can't practice it where I live.
>>
>>1844882
pipebomb

seriously though, no amount of training will help you if you're against multiple people or an armed attacker. You're better off just buying some pepper spray and saving the time and effort
>>
>>1844575
They might have gotten tired of dealing with the shit on this board, though I hope that they've just been busy.
>>
>>1844575
There are some in /fit/
>>
>>1844662
bjj.
Other combat sport are too rough on the joints or technique can't compensate for the loss of explosivity.
>>1844677
You wish you can get old in good physical shape yougster
>>
>>1844882
Depends on what you can practice
>>
File: 1452488562454.jpg (44KB, 512x349px) Image search: [Google]
1452488562454.jpg
44KB, 512x349px
>>1844882
gun-fu
not fighting is also a good way to win a fight
>>
>>1844882
>what's the best martial art for me?
There is no "best" except one you consistently practice and are good enough in to not get you're ass beat
>>
>>1783442
how to i get into boxing mode
>>
>>1846240
crippling poverty mostly
>>
>>1846276
well shit.. thats gonna be hard I'm white.
>>
>>1846318
white poverty is the most oppressive of them all, because you don't get any of the government benefits of being a minority
>>
>>1824351
I agree
>>
>>1846426
no
>>
>>1842740
>>1843554
But if they all do Meme Karate doesn't it make it perfect for fighting each other?
>>
>>1843807
>but I dislike kicking
Why? It's the best part of fighting. But Taekwondo kind of took it a little too far like putting way too much salt on salted French fries.
>>
>>1838672
>Kyokushin Karate, which is also Kickboxing, allows elbows, knees, hammer-fists, back-fists, knife-hand strikes, and sweeps.
>Kyokushin Karate doesn't allow any clinching.
>Kyokushin Karate doesn't allow any throws.

However numerous kyokushin spinoffs including Seidokaikan and Enshin allow both.
>>
>>1846367
Plus, one of the poorest places in USA is Appalachia and is overwhelmingly white. They also don't have the worst crime statistics but I don't know if thtas because its not as bad as other places, or if its a lawless wasteland where you can get buried in a mountain without anyone caring.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPTpVRb4R7Y
>>
>>1846887
if I had to wager a guess it would probably be because people have a lot more space

close proximity to other humans seems to only cause negative things to happen
>>
File: I pull guard.gif (4MB, 397x260px) Image search: [Google]
I pull guard.gif
4MB, 397x260px
>>1844882
Jits
>>
>>1847069
Old but fresh OC copypasta

>The year is 2055 and I'm about to compete in the Jits Nationals Elimination Tournament
>I've been training really hard this year and I'm confident I'll do well.
>My coach is one of the best highschool Jits coaches in America and he thinks I have a chance to win the whole thing.
>Coaching Jits runs in his family. His father and grandfather were both famous Jits coaches.
>Glad I didn't have to train under his grandfather, heard he's a real hardass. He came from a time before the gi-suits when people would do submissions until the other person gave up. He never explained how they didn't get sued.
>bet the FBLA Litigation Team would have a heyday with that.
>Anyways, the tournament is in Inter Planetary Jitz Federation rules so we get matching carbon-fiber gi suits
>The suits read the position of your body, and if you place your hands on the target areas while on the right position and hold for five seconds win.
>My favorite move is the kimura, where I place both hands on my opponent's wrist while in side control
>The tournament begins and I easily blow through my first couple of opponents
>Most of them are from poor inner-city schools where the coaches and practice gi-suits suck
>I get to quarter-finals easily and face my first real opponent
>We flip a coin to see who gets to start from top of X-guard and who has to be on bottom
>I lose the coin toss and start on the bottom.
>He struggles, trying to pass my X-guard for a while
>Eventually he steps too far out and I sweep him
>two points, I know I've got this now
>He quickly assumes the berimbolo
>15 points for him
>Now I'm in trouble, if he gets 5 more points it's a technical submissions
>I can hear the crowd chanting.
>"Sweet jits brah, sweet jits brah,"
>I try hard to focus
>It comes to me in a flash and I do a rolling pass and catch an arm triangle
>After the five seconds, his helmet lights up to indicate that the hold was good
>>
>>1847101

>Semifinal match up next
>Should be easy, he's from an old-fashioned MMA school, the only reason why he made it this far is because his bracket was trash
>Got the jits-out by kimura in 15 seconds
>After the match he tells me that he could beat me in a "real fight"
>he doesn't even know I got first in last year's Injury Litigation Regionals
>I'd sue him faster than I just tapped him out.
>Final match coming up, have to wait for the other bracket to finish up
>Sip some Pedialyte Extreme Jits from my Hemp Force water bladder
>My name gets called for the final match
>Opponent should be tough, he's from Huntington Beach Jits Tech-High, a private school for gifted grappling arts students
>Match takes 6 minutes, but finally lock in the kimura
>His arm lights up
>All of my team mates and coaches rush onto the mats and lift me onto their shoulders
>Have to wait for other weight classes to finish up before medal ceremony
>Coach buys me a protein brownie from the 10th Planet canna-booth
>Just as we get our order the loadspeaker calls for all champions to the podium
>They give me my medal, and as I get off the podium the brownie kicks in
>Sleep all of the way back to the hotel room

Best day ever.
>>
Guys I'm thinking about quitting strength training and joining an MMA gym. I got dumped and I can't bulk heavy anymore and lifting weights isn't making me feel much better. Is this a good idea? Can anyone just start from scratch or do they need to be a big guy before hand?
>>
>>1847112
Big is a disadvantage in MMA. Lean and wiry is the optimal body build.
>>
>>1847114
Thats good I suppose. I feel like hitting something, the cardio and the moderate weight lifting will make me feel better. How about making size gains? I know I won't be Arnold tier but I'm wondering how it works along with dieting. How many calories would I eat, protein, etc.
>>
File: tumblr_np7u77jojd1u2ragso1_500.gif (2MB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np7u77jojd1u2ragso1_500.gif
2MB, 500x320px
>>1847121
You'll lose size unless you're skeleton mode. Almost guaranteed. I gained a bit on my shoulders and forearms, but mostly just lost almost all of my stomach fat. I try to eat between 3000-3500 calories on the days I train and 1900 to 2500 when I don't.

I go high protein, moderate fat, low carbs-ish. My performance is absolute trash if I am too light on the carbs, I just feel lethargic. Same thing if I go overboard, like 4 bowls of spaghetti the night before early morning sparring.
>>
>>1847138
Grams of protein equal to weight in lbs?
>>
>>1847146
That is way overkill. 1.2 grams for every kg of bodyweight is more reasonable.

The most important thing is supplementation. Do your own research, but at minimum you need D-3 and a joint complex or your body will fall apart. I like krill oil because there is some stuff starting to come out that fatty acids can help prevent the brain plaques, which can be caused by repeated head trauma.
>>
>>1847105
Kek, never seen that before.
>>
>>1847153
Its a relief to hear I won't have to deal with such an annoying diet then.
>>
Tore my ACL on the judo mats again.

Here's to another 6 months of being a cripple, hooray.
>>
>>1820323

25-7-1

What's wrong with his record
>>
>>1838244

Everything he said is true
>>
>>1840373
>You cannot learn any martial art by your own

That's bullshit, how do you think the first martial arts were learned. Did aliens fucking teach us fuckwit
>>
>>1844623

You can fight at 35, how many fighters do you see fighting in their 40s. Fedor is 40 and he just started fighting again
>>
>>1845050
>>1845552
Can't get actual firing weapons, could get pyro but I'm not into that.

>>1845249
MMA, Karate, Boxing, Judo, Taekwondo, BJJ...
I think the local karate dojo is the biggest one in my country.

The fights would just be regular streetfights, hopefully 1v1 but at the moment more likely 1v5+ so I guess I'm fucked in either case, but I at least want to be able to do some damage before getting damage dealt to me.
In the near future I'll be part of a group who participate and who are avid martial arts practitioners, so then it will be more like 1v1.

I'm also lifting heavy weights and putting them back down again 6 days/w if that matters.
>>
>>1846070
I know but which one is most brutal?
I'm assuming Muay Thai since it's just "hit as efficiently as possible to do as much damage as possible", but again I can't practice it where I live.
>>
>>1847413
Bjj is very good self defense for 1 v 1 but there are no martial arts for 1 v 5 it would just be best to get pepper spray even if it's illegal it better than getting jumped. Also don't take karate for self defense.
>>
File: 1389840253535.gif (890KB, 302x167px) Image search: [Google]
1389840253535.gif
890KB, 302x167px
Do any of you compliment your martial arts with weightlifting? 3 days of MA is already cardio so maybe a 3-day full body lifting routine would be good?

I was doing my second out of three laps of calisthenics yesterday and felt an abdominal tear. Had to stop and lie on the ground for a solid 2 minutes so Im considering weights.
>>
>>1847955
Do SS without the GOMAD meme, or SL if you prefer 5x5.

>>1847892
I'll look into it, thanks.
>>
File: greyskull fit.png (37KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
greyskull fit.png
37KB, 700x600px
>>1848077
SL5x5 was great last time I tried lifting, good rec. Already got pic related for next routine but I was more concerned on if it wouldnt cause too much strain to train high weight low rep on off days from Muay Thai.

3 days muay, 3 days lifts
>>
File: 1475334485222.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1475334485222.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>1847388
Through actual combat and training with a lot of people around.
Those who made the noob mistakes were rooted out... Only the winner stays and pass knowledge down.
Trying to learn any ma by yourself is like trying to reinvent the wheel each and every time you train.
Don't try the youtube thing. One can actually learn from youtube only if he has already someone to guide him.
>>1847390
>Fedor
Please no. Nor Dan Henderson, none of them is clean and they're actual beasts, as are all successful pro fighters.
>>
File: street fight.gif (2MB, 256x213px) Image search: [Google]
street fight.gif
2MB, 256x213px
>>1847892
>but there are no martial arts for 1 v 5
You just need a knife or stick and kali/arnis/escrima.

Hell, people suck at fighting so much, you can get away with just Kickboxing.
>>
>>1848869
>people suck at fighting so much, you can get away with just Kickboxing.

People suck so much at fighting that you can get away with just Boxing.
>>
>>1847101
>>1847105
Kek
>>
>>1847892
>there are no martial arts for 1 v 5
For starters ground fighting is exactly what you don't want
Most fights actually end with a punch to the head and he already does boxing, honestly like many say, running away and being prepared is the best thing he could learn
>>
>>1847256
At Jason Morris's tournament?
>>
>>1843807
>>1843807
D/C level judo competitor here, just won my elite division weight class today in a big tournament. Judo is tough as hell. I've wrestled and practice Bjj, and actively do MT two times a week. Top competition clubs for judo have similar mentalities too crazy Thai guys, and their casual members practice 7 times a week and lift 4 times. I run a university club and personally practice 11 times a week (on a good week, 7 on a bad one) and lift and condition three times. Find a serious club and it will be one of the hardest things you'll do. Find a memey rec club and it will be eh at best. If you go to a club and it's comp team isn't 10℅bf, jacked to hell, and aren't doing 45+ minutes of randori per 2 hour session don't go. Judo is a very hard martial art compared to other grappling styles I've found and worked with, Bjj gyms tend to be too relaxed for my taste. And wrestlers (I work with my unis d1 team) are very point and sport oriented, and become squeamish when faced with chokes and joint manipulation.
>>
>>1848869
The dude was saying he can't even use pepper spray i doubt he can use a knife also it will take him awhile to get at that level it sounds like the 1v5 might be happening soon.
>>
>>1849450
I said bjj is good for 1v1 which is true.
>>
New thread goes here:

>>1852838
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.