[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Competition fighter general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

General thread for experienced and aspiring fighters to talk about training, sparring, questions, gear discussion, gym life etc.

Feeble attempt to filter the keyboard warriors.

mma, karate, muay thai, bjj, judo, tae kwan do, boxing, kickboxing, kung fu, grappling, striking.

Ill start:
>19y, light-heavyweight novice boxer
>3W-1L
>two C-class state titles
>been training for two years, fighting since april
>>
Is there seriously not a single competition fighter all the keyboard warriors and armchair experts on this board?
>>
>>1773734
They probably don't come very often, considering how slow the board is when you take out the shit, and some of them might even come here even loss or have left after the wrasslnshit. I've only recently started judo or I'd post something relevant.
>>
>>1773734
How often do you see game designers or comic writers or actual published scientist or writers?

Did you really think there would be more professional fighters on here?

Most of the guys here are practicers, fans of UFC and such, but professional? lol
>>
>>1775341
Who said anything about professional?
>>
>>1773734
I wrestle but I'm not posting a bunch of details on 4chan
>>
52 years old, boxed in the amateur and senior level in the light, lightwelter, welter, middle & light-heavyweight divisions.

103W-25L

And some exhibitions also in my resume.

Still trainning as a hobby.
>>
>>1773083
Never competed in stand up despite training most of my life. Whenever I try sparring I get decimated and it sucks. Living example of drills and mitt work not translating to actual skills.

I've done a couple BJJ tournaments. Got starched once and won another.

It sucks to suck at something I love, bro :-(
>>
>>1776168
Did you win any championships or awards?
>>
File: 1400533248771.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1400533248771.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Im competing this week in BJJ, I'm nervous. Its been a year since my last comp which was my first ever. I lost all my matches on points, most by only one or two sweeps. I got exhausted like never before halfway through the tourney, it was a mixture of being nervous and not being in the best shape.

Hoping to do better and be more calm this time around.
>>
>>1776354
Not really, i fought mostly in the undecards at the local level, where tje main event was a pro fight and the undercard was full of amateur fights.

When i fought in torunaments the point system screw me very bad as i fought in a "pro" pace due to my style.

I got to spar some pros in the gym, the thing is that i could never go full at boxing because of my studies and work, but i love the sport.
>>
>>1773083
I have advice for all competitors in striking combat sports. Stop what you're doing! I know you think it's badass but the $200 your sleezy promoter is giving you is not worth the brain damage. Hell if you're good enough to make it to the ufc or another top promotion the $10k you'll make in the undercard is not worth the brain damage. Only the 1% of 1% of fighters make real money and you should know within your first couple fights if you have any chance of winning this lottery.
>>
>>1776168
Thats a really impressive record mate, jesus.
Have you had any fights in recent years as a master?
>>
>>1776350
Only way to get better is to keep going!
>>
>>1776786
Hi reporting from work.

No, recently i only have fought in "serious sparrings" with that i mean like a sparring session going full intensity, but it is a mutual agreement.

The people that i have spar recently are either some local pros looking for some spar session or experienced people in the gym that want some spar.

Its fun for me because i still do what i love, even if im not competing.
>>
So I had to temporarily move to a new town and have been going to the boxing club here. All the fighters never keep their hands up and in general no mitts are held or habits trained and spar everyday. They do have all the equipment you need, heavy bag, double end, etc. Are alot of clubs like this?
>>
>>1773734

Hello anon.

I was an amateur boxer in my teenage years. Went 24-2, my only two losses were DQs for excessive clinching.

Won a few provincial challenger cups after I turned 16 and a silver glove tournament when I was younger.

I was never that committed to it, I mainly fought local and rarely ventured out of my city.
>>
>>1778939
Hands up arent an strict rule and mitts arent a necessary equipment.

The hands up are just a "downplayed version of defense" imho, if you have youre head off the centre line and your rear hand ready to parry you'll be fine.

Pads are becoming a new fashion because of mayweather jr highlight trainning.
>>
Hello all

I used to be a professional boxer but retired recently with a record of
49-0-0
>>
>>1779241

Floyd??? Rocky???...
>>
what does getting knocked out feel like?

assume someone hits you flush with a perfect right hand to the jaw. what then?
>>
>>1776770
Ha, Jokes on you. My brain already is broken.

>>1779312
Get hit flush? Nothing. Doesn't even hurt, usually. I remember first time I got knocked out knocked out, I felt perfectly fine, and felt like I was still standing up. The room was spinning though, and that, it turns out was because my head was spinning on the way down. I only realized that when I was looking up at the ceiling.
>>
>>1773083
I have a question since you guys sound like you know what you're talking about.

I basically want to learn some kind of martial art that would be most useful for defensive purposes.

I'm 5'7" and 55kg so I am short and skinny.

What would you guys suggest I learn?
There are a few different gyms in my area like kickboxing, muay thai, bjj etc
>>
>>1779225
Yeah its funny how thats gone in recent years.
Some of the greatest of all time, including holyfeild, tyson very rarely hit the pads, and i know for a fact that ali NEVER hit pads, then all of a sudden the mayweathers brought it in to the light and suddenly everyone NEEDS to be training pads.
Dont get me wrong, i do train pads a lot. I guess there are a lot more counter punchers now days as well tho.
>>
>>1779312
OP here. Never been fully knocked out but copped a good square one on the chin in my last fight and dropped the knee. (still went on to win)
It was sort of a flash of white a second of time goes missing. As the other OP said, it doesnt hurt at all, and other than the spinning room you dont really feel much.
>>
>>1779312
A shot to the jaw, temple, or ear? You probably won't feel much. You might be aware of your surroundings but your legs won't respond to your brains commands.

A shot to the body? pain, lots of pain.
>>
>>1781729
When i started boxing i was 6'5 and 69 kilos. Now im 6'5 and 81 kilos. I was this massive lanky runt, but after 18 months of training i had what id call measurable gains lmao.
Depends on what you want to do. If i were you id either pick boxing, Kboxing or bjj.
>>
>>1781729
Body language, de escalation, gun-kata, and parkour. As far as martial arts go, itll depend on you, but most competition arts can be good. Boxing, and any kickboxing type style whether its muay thai, savate, or an offshoot of kyo should be fine. Same with grappling and competion, judo, bjj, wrestling. They have different advantages and disadvantages though, so look up the rules and stuff for arts. MMA and mixed styles like sambo are good too though, wouldnt want to forget that.
>>
>>1782476
>>1782313
Is kickboxing literally boxing with legs involved?
I like to think I have strong legs for my frame because I do alot of running.
>>
>>1782644
Not really, the technique varies. You have more to think about. In boxing you think about your opponents hands and nothing else, so as you can imagine how your stance/attacks would be different when you throw legs and kicks into the equation.
>>
>>>/sp/71369369
>>
>>1783526
You should try to start that thread in here, rather than trying to pull people from here into /sp/. Isn't like /asp/ could use more MA threads. And this board is still slower than /sp/, so bigger chances people will notice it.
>>
>>1779312
kinda what i imagine what dying would be like, instant blackness and then waking up on the ground not knowing where you are and your head hurting.
>>
>>1779312
It doesnt really hurt. You definitely know its going to drop you though right before it hits, then you fall and you just absolutely cant control that part.
>>
>>1787524
>then you fall and you just absolutely cant control that part
don't get hit faggot
>>
I'm a fit guy, but I'm out of shape compared to my athlete martial artist peers. If I don't get a KO or TKO in the first few minutes, my training partners could probably beat me in an untimed fight just by waiting for me to get tired.
>>
I've been out of training for a few months due to injuries, and now there's a noticeable skill gap between me and my training partners who train just about every single day.
>>
I noticed I suck shit at sparring just by not getting enough sleep when I go to train.
>>
>>1789100
I actually have to put in some effort into things when I'm tired, and I'm not used to that.
>>
I think I experience withdrawal when I don't drink coffee.
It feels like cheating to drink coffee when you I have a fight.
>>
>>1789171
Alright no no no FUCK that
If you drink coffee every day before you train, you fucking drink that shit before a fight.
I made this same mistake in my 4th fight and ive never felt worse in the ring.
On fight day/night you want to keep your routine as normal as possible.
Fuck that cheating mentality, its coffee not steroids.
>>
>>1789095
Easy fix bruh, train hard erryday. The fitness will come.
>>
I've been training boxing since february with the hopes of starting to compete next year sometime. Right now I'm 6'4 96kg. I have a quite slim build naturally. Would anyone be able to recommend if I should try and bulk up to be a proper heavy weight or be lean at 91 for cruiserweight/amateur heavyweight?
>>
>>1790630

How old are you?
>>
>>1790801
>>
>>1790630
You bulk as age and trainning comes, if your're light use that as an advantage you'll be in a lighter division but with more reach.

When i was like 132lbs i was taller than most of my opponents and used my range and distance to dominate fights, then when at my highest weight (light-heavy) i used a more varied skill set like fighting on the inside, drawing counterpunches, baiting distance and range, etc.
>>
Whats the best hand wrapping method, mates?
>>
>>1789677
You make a good point. I'm not using a performance enhancing drug to perform better, I'm a drug addict That needs drugs to perform normally.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QleRgTBMX88
>>
When i started to train my teacher modeled most of my style after him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbg_HMF_pAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJxDtCCoQjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDW2HzvLCmk
>>
>>1790630
6'4, 96kg? Slim build?
Im 6'5 81kg lmao
Do whatever is easiest for you, if i was you id be aiming for <91.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.