[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife/dagger fighting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 0038.jpg (202KB, 1191x763px) Image search: [Google]
0038.jpg
202KB, 1191x763px
I don't know what happened to all the HEMA threads. That said, I'm interested in learning about HEMA related to dagger fighting as well Japanese styles of tanto fighting/tankendo. If anyone can point me in the direction of manuals I could read on the topic it wpuld be appreciated

Also blade art thread
>>
>>1760252
>I don't know what happened to all the HEMA threads.
the general moved to /his/, to much spandex over here
>>
>>1760517
This is good to know.
>>
>>1760517
Why /his/, that board is too good for you virgin duel fraggles

It should go to /k/ where it belongs
>>
>>1760595
The hema thread on /his/ is also completely fucking dead.
>>
>>1760595
It belongs on /asp/ - this really is the most appropriate board for it - but the wrasslefags kept pushing it off page 10.
>>
>>1762286
I'm a wrestling fan, have a bump.
>>
>>1763249
Thanks kindly, etc. Let's see if this one can stay alive for a while.

>>1760252
For dagger stuff, check out Fiore, Codex Wallerstein, Talhoffer, Lignitzer, and Huntfeltz.
>>
File: ElmJZAw.png (129KB, 186x264px) Image search: [Google]
ElmJZAw.png
129KB, 186x264px
>>1763249
* tips

>>1762286
Looks like your obscure hobby doesnt deserve to be here then
Heres a pity sage anyway
>>
File: Halberd-Saber.jpg (120KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Halberd-Saber.jpg
120KB, 1152x2048px
>>1765102
Yeah, much better to have another is he a draw thread; wouldn't want to miss out on that quality content.

More on topic, check out this weird polearm. Looks fun.
>>
>>1760252
>>1765093
For dagger stuff, Marozzo has single dagger and dagger and cape, and then wrestling against a dagger. I would still say Fiore is a more complete system, but if you want to do "knife fencing", Marozzo is the way to go.

About tankendo, here's a brief thing about it,
http://www.koryu.com/Library/mskoss12.html
Also, there isn't much about knife fighting in the japanese styles, most of it will be armored knife fighting, since just like in Europe, fighting armored people could devolve into wrestling and stabbing with specific dagger/knives. Some styles specialized on it (some branches of Araki-ryu), but overall they are rare.

About Tankendo, it isn't really knife fighting as commonly thought, because the type 30 bayonet really was more of a kodachi/wakizashi than a tanto, the basis of the system was Toda-ryu kodachijutsu which was very famous. It mainly is about two things, opportunity thrusts to the throat or a strike to the face while striking in primo tempo, before the opponent does anything or when he is preparing himself. The other thing that is done all the time is warding against a blow, then grabbing the elbow of the leading arm then a stab to the belly, very similar to kendo no kata #10. Tankendo techniques are really simple in concepts, but presumably hard in execution. They consist of at least two sets (bayonet against rifle-bayonet; bayonet against itself; and maybeee bayonet against sword). It's a pretty good weapon for thrusting and there is a good reach for it's class, but it can also cut reasonably well (again for this sort of weapon). It isn't really unlike Marozzo's dagger fencing actually, in ideas at least.
>>
>>1767187
>Marozzo
Honestly marozzo has a little bit of everything for everyone, I love opera nova.
>>
>>1767187
This is the kinda shitbiscuit wanted to hear about.

Is there any online reference avaliable to read Marrozo's dagger stuff?
>>
>>1771317
>"shit I" gets corrected to shitbiscuit on my phone

Why
>>
Talhoffer's good for dagger aswell.
>>
>>1771317
>>1771418
>shitbiscuit
Wow nice...

But yes naturally, Marozzo is one of the most influencial HEMA sources ever and hopefully, we have access to his stuff.
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Achille_Marozzo

Check the appropriate section, Capitolo 52 mostly, only one image and it may help to know a bit more about the Bolognese tradition to understand the general terminology.

I recommand this channel to learn more about this precise style. Even though it doesn't deal with dagger, it explains the basic premise of the overall style and helps to learn the various terms for the guards and cuts (which are the same more or less, regardless of the weapon).
https://www.youtube.com/user/celgus
>>
>>1771903
Thanks man. I really hope HEMA comes back here. This board could use more decent content
>>
>>1772163
I so far prefer the /asp/ HEMA threads to the /his/ ones. Wrasslefags don't tend care enough to start shit in here but there's been so much nonsense over on /his/ in the short time the threads have existed.
>>
>>1760252
FMA forever familia.
>>
>>1773654
OP here. Had a guy come do FMA classes at my judo dojo for awhile. I don't know much about blade fighting outside of reading and the few years I learned classical french fencing, but his grip and disarming techniques that he showed all seemed kind of silly.
>>
>>1774182
Depends on what style he's using or if he's from a mcdojo. There's a reason why americans practice with filipinos to learn that art. It's pretty practical. Plus FMA is one of the less bullshido MA around. They're an anything-goes MA and have little to no "honor" code. Do what you can to survive mentality. And don't get tricked by the sticks and "silly" waves. There's a reason why people do that. It's to apply it with small objects or with no weapons at all. I had a real Guro test me once with a pen. Needless to say I was a sorry sack of stupid when I assumed I can overpower that pen.
>>
>>1774572
I'll believe it when I see it, man.
>>
>>1774581
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4EOIs7IYf0

KEK'd. No one's forcing you into it. Even if "you" think it's bullshit, that doesn't change the fact that people "are" using it and is applying it IRL. No amount of internet arguing will prove shit. You do you senpai.
>>
>>1774589
Do you always meet doubt with such defensiveness? Calm down.
>>
>>1774602
I literally told you to do whatever you want, I just gave examples of such since you asked for it. Stop making an ass out of yourself familia.
>>
>>1774607
Ok
>>
>>1760252
>>1765093
Here's Guy Windsor's take on the Nine Masters of the dagger from Fiore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8D4KdesZ0
And a nice verse about the very same masters of remedy for those who hadn't heard it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cV9xoF-0yU&index=3&list=PL73_Z3cuuPz8spq7zOM0K-Nniwd2YtqeO
>>
>>1773654
My HEMA coach comes from a FMA background, so I get to taste a bit of both (which is good, because I was wondering which one to get into, and I ended up not having to choose).

I sparred against a FMA guy with double sticks and I didn't know what the fuck to do.
>>
>>1776128
Mixing up MAs could lead to interesting results. I'm going to look into Systema myself because I'm interested with their focus on joints (not unlike FMA).
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.