[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Part Timers and Light Schedules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1092821-42_1_.jpg (28KB, 367x355px) Image search: [Google]
1092821-42_1_.jpg
28KB, 367x355px
Can anyone give me a good reason why the main eventers and other guys receiving pushes in WWE are working tv every single week plus house shows?

back in the 90s they barely wrestled unless it was a ppv. they might have had a random squash here or there, but other than that, top guys only really did promos with some limited bumps. this hyped their ppv matches and made them important must watch matches. it also kept them from getting over worked and injured. there was rarely any 50/50 booking because creative didn't have to come up with an unimportant impromptu match every single week. it was a big deal when they showed up on raw/nitro/smackdown/thunder.

tl;dr: use the main eventers sparingly to establish their importance. fuck this """"""""workrate""""""" shit that only basement dwellers care about.
>>
One of the many many reasons WCW was in the shitter was because top guys didn't do houses and the main eventers for houses were guys who barely got any time on TV. Then the top guys would use shitty logic like 'see these guys don't draw so keep us on TV' when the house show workers had little opportunity to be exposed to a TV audience
>>
>>1710324

i'll use lucha underground as an example. and yes, before it gets brought up, i know that raw has to fill a 3 hour time slot whereas LU only has to fill one hour.

lucha underground can build stars and tell a great story with their guys only showing up every other episode. pentagon only had vignettes for about a month, so when he came back and interrupted aztec warfare it was a huge deal. why can't wwe do something similar?
>>
This is why I was excited for Lesnar matches, because they didn't happen every week.

Well, until he became a boring suplex spammer.
>>
>>1710335
Lucha Underground is not a wrestling promotion, it's a TV show backed by MGM
>>
>>1710160
Theoretically, this is a great idea. One that succeeded with Finn in NXT, as he has all the consistent interest and appeal of a damp sponge. Yet through emphasized booking, and emboldened importance, with rare appearances, they made him out to be a big deal that people enjoyed greatly.
But Raw and Smackdown are far too exposed. These guys inundate WWE's steady media stream like never before, so fans don't clamor to see them as they did back then, they DEMAND to. Ratings hinge upon their consistent appearances.
>>
File: muhduck.jpg (4KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
muhduck.jpg
4KB, 256x144px
>>1710351
raw isn't a tv show?
>>
>>1710351

even still, they can keep all of their guys relevant and over without having to even feature them on tv for weeks at a time.

meanwhile in wwe, they build their feuds with 50/50 booking for a month straight leading into a ppv match that is stale since we've already seen it 4 times on tv.
>>
>>1710160
They worked light schedules because they had creative control and were old men and 80s stalwarts. Vince is a conman and a carnie and there's no way he's paying anybody to not work every single fucking day, pay for their own travel, hotel, and health care. He knows the people who come to him looking for jobs cannot find work in any other field, anywhere in the world, they are freaks and losers and marks for themselves and marks for vince's business and attention. They will do whatever he wants, and like it.

They are also desperate, DESPERATE, for anybody who could possibly, maybe, be a semi-big star outside of wrestling, while still controlling them the way they wished they could control The Rock.

Since nobody in WWE is a draw they just keep putting belts on people hoping something sticks. The business is dead.
>>
>>1710359

it wouldn't bother me if they showed up on tv and cut a promo and maybe even took part in a 5 minute dark match or a squash match to appease fans that bought tickets to the live show. i just don't know why they need to have main eventers working full matches every single week. it dilutes the product and hurts storylines, not to mention leaves the wrestlers open to injury.
>>
>>1710364
Raw is a TV show, WWE is a promotion. The brand is not just Raw and Smackdown, it's PPVs, the network, merchandise, video games, endorsements, house shows

>>1710371
Lucha Underground has seasons and it is nobody who works there's main job. WWE is ALWAYS going. There would need to be a transition to either a tour format similar Japan back in the day where guys are only on the road(and WWE is on TV) for a few months then there's a break then they start touring OR there's a constant alternating stream of guys going like say the Raw group is going while the Smackdown group is on break and vice versa
>>
>>1710390
They have enough wrestlers that they could easily do that. But USA wants their biggest stars, not Heath Slater and Jerry Lyne or whoever. They are beholden to marketing guys at USA.
>>
>>1710390
>WWE is ALWAYS going
actually the E also has seasons
>>
>>1710396
Only technically. Raw is never ever ever off air for more than a week
>>
>>1710390

again though, i'm not even purposing they don't show up every week. put them on tv every week, that's fine. but why full matches? the matches end up not meaning anything. why can't they just cut a good promo and have a struggle/tease confrontation to build the animosity and promote the storyline? it'd keep ppv matches meaningful and fresh and limit injuries. it'd make the one or two big spots for the night special. i just don't see how anyone gets hurt.
>>
>>1710415
People want to see them wrestle if they're around.

It's not like WWE could make PPV matches special if the guys hardly wrestled in TV either. They just did that with seff vs demon kang and it was a load of crap because the promos were bad and there was only three weeks of buildup. PPVs are not meaningful anymore with or without guys wrestling on TV all the time
>>
>>1710455

i guess you and i will just have to agree to disagree, although you're right that the promos were garbage. it would've been fine if seth didn't injure everyone he steps in the ring with and if the promos were actually good. take away the script and let them improvise promos and that problem goes away.
>>
>>1710455
if Seth or Finn were charismatic or likeable those promos would have been fine. But they aren't, so they sucked. This ''the writing sucks!" meme has to end before you kids can grow up and get a clue.

>>1710483
Seth is, without a doubt, too stupid to improvise anything.
>>
>>1710483
This is admitting there are even deeper problems than main eventers doing an ungodly workaholic schedule such as the overscripting of promos and lack of build up

There are going to be two PPVs a month soon
>>
>>1710498

>DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME? DO YOU UNDERSTAND? YOU GOT THAT? NO! N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-NO
>>
>>1710505

Staring this week anon.
>>
>>1710505

you're right. we've truly hit the lowest point in wrestling history. it looks like micromanagement and over working talent are two of the biggest problems and i don't know how they're going to fix it. they probably just won't.
>>
>>1710576
They don't stoop to the lowest common denominator anymore, which is how they got over in the 80s and Attitude Era.

Austin was the smark choice back in the day, btw.

WWE has never done anything original or creative in it's entire history. They can only react and copy-cat, and ever since 2000 they've been floundering and dying and atrophying. There is no casual audience anymore, WWE exists to fill time at this point.
>>
>>1710602

they have an identity crisis. they need to stoop to the lowest insults and actions they can, but never will because "it's a kids show." but if it's a kids show, why is it on monday night in the prime time slot until after 11? why is the biggest demographic still 20-40 year old men? if it were truly a kids show, it'd be on saturday morning tv.
>>
>>1710614
There's no way little kids watch a 3-hour show like this.

The show looks like shit, too. It's all HD and bright, it's too polished but also kinda outdated in that polish. Kevin Dunn wouldn't be working any Superbowls or NCAA Championship games anytime soon, he'd have the camera shaking wackily on every tackle.
>>
>>1710335
A lot has to do with advertisers and contracts where WWE is basically promising to the advertisers that their top stars will be on the show every week. This also ensures that their merchandise is pushed at every show with wrestlers wearing them, etc. this also pushes ticket sales by ensuring that fans' favorite wrestlers are expected at every live event. Things have changed from back in the day. Also, please stop comparing an actual wrestling promotion to a glorified wrestling drama tv show like LU.
>>
>>1710602
There's no one left to react of copy-cat, Vince bought them all. Maybe the current fixation with indies and Japanese wrestling is a result of this
>>
>>1710643
victory has defeated vince
>>
>>1710381
Well Seth didn't wrestle for a month on RAW when Finn debuted. After the draft, I think Seth didn't wrestle on RAW till after Summerslam.
>>
>>1710635

Part of the problem, maybe even the biggest one wwe has, is that they Don't compare themselves to drama tv shows. That is their competition for viewers now and the longer they turn a blind eye to that fact the worse things will get.
>>
>>1710624

Thought I was the only one who noticed. Who the fucks idea was it to change the lighting and make everything gay and HD?

Whens the last time they had smoke and dimmer lighting anyway
>>
False. Wwe always had the champ wrestle at house shows. 18+ Kevin Nash won the belt at a nous show
>>
File: VinceRichAsFuck.jpg (43KB, 274x172px) Image search: [Google]
VinceRichAsFuck.jpg
43KB, 274x172px
>>1710160
Back then WWE wasn't a publicly traded company, now they are, and they have to keep investors interested in buying their stocks so they make even more money than they already do per shows by selling tickets and sponsors. Sorry, but Vinny Mac only cares about the green paper with dead presidents.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.