[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AL SNOW ON WRESTLEMANIA 3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

File: WM3.png (260KB, 480x260px) Image search: [Google]
WM3.png
260KB, 480x260px
>Snow: "Wrestlemania 3, who had the best match?"
>Interviewer: Savage and Steamboat
>Snow: "No they didn't dumbshit! And that is the problem. Everyone says Steamboat and Savage had the best match on the show, they did not. Who sold the most tickets?"
>Interviewer: Hogan and Andre
>Snow: "Oh wow, 93 thousand people paid to see Hogan/Andre. 93 thousand people as great as they were, did not pay to see Savage/Steamboat. Therefore who had the best match on the show?
>Interviewer: Well they had the most important match
>Snow: "No they [Hogan/Andre] had the best fucking match because if they hadn't had that match their wouldn't be a business for me and you to talk about and thats the truth. 93 thousand people paid to see them, that makes it unequivocally the best match.
>>
Is he right?
>>
>>1662163

No, it's a case of "eat shit, millions of flies can't be wrong". Rock and Cena was the draw at mania, but Punk and Taker carried the show.
>>
File: WOqq2E8.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
WOqq2E8.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
>>1662159
Al Snow is one of the smartest people in the business even though he wasn't main-eventer tier. He also looks like he takes showers, hits weights, got some clues, and has sex on the regular now-a-days. I recommend watching his Hannibal TV shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv9GCaLlgl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tCwiOWS2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buR-d4x0-no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHhWGe02EeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEeu3QIlv1I
>>1662163
Yes.
>>
He's talking about 'best' as in 'best for business'. For regular people that means fuck all. So he's right in that because Hogan/Andre sold tickets it was unequivocally the best match from a booker/agent's perspective, but from anyone else's view it's entirely subjective what the best match was.
>>
>>1662176
No, Hogan/Andre had the best fucking match.
>>
He's right. I don't give a fuck about wrestling beyond the big deal. I couldn't tell you who else fought the night that Goldberg and The Rock fought or what else was on the card When Sting and Hogan fought
>>
By his logic, they could've pulled the fingerpoke of doom and it would still be the the best match since you're judging it before it has even begun.

Even if you do consider it the best match, that should be because of how much Hogan drew immediately following that match. Otherwise you're judging the quality of the build.
>>
>>1662176
Get a clue
>>
chris jericho on suicide watch

that fag never drew a dime
>>
>>1662159
100% on point
>>
>500 arm drags and holds match is the best match ever
Worst meme
>>
>>1662159
Al Snow, for all his years in the wrestling business, still does not know shit about it.
>>
>>1662498
Why do faggots like you still think they know more about the wrestling business than the wrestlers themselves?
>>
>>1662504
Because I do. At least I do based on that idiotic statement Al made (which he knows is bullshit).

Just because you do something for a living doesn't mean you know more about it than someone who is only fan or hobbyist in it.

Wrestling has to be two things

1. Entertaining
2. Legitimate

if it wants to put any "butts in seats" as guys like him like to say. Matches like the Steamboat and Savage match provide both of these things in a way that faces toward the future. It's what brings people back in the next time because it is a promise of what could be to come. If you have a card which has been hyped up and has no real content the illusion of professional wrestling as a legitimate form of entertainment is gone, and so is the fandom that puts food on the table of the wrestlers.

You cannot have a card full of Hulk Hogans and Andres (you can't have a card full of Steamboats and Savages either). Every element of the show must work together.

The style of wrestling seen in Steamboat vs Savage is the style which would go on to become popular in Japan and later the US. Men like Stone Cold Steve Austin adopted that style and eventually utilized it (even in limited form after his neck injury) to take wrestling to heights it never went to before, and has never achieved again since.

Other than at Wrestlemania 32, which was the highest selling Wrestlemania of all time, and featured a main event much much more similar to Steamboat and Savage than it did Hogan and Andre.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 562x408px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 562x408px
>Because I do.
>>
Andre Hogan was just a pile of dogshit, I don't care about it being a draw or bringing in fans it is unwatchable.
>>
File: 1435892165098.jpg (82KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1435892165098.jpg
82KB, 720x540px
>Because I do. At least I do based on that idiotic statement Al made (which he knows is bullshit). Just because you do something for a living doesn't mean you know more about it than someone who is only fan or hobbyist in it.
>>
>>1662159
He's wrong. Everybody already paid to see Hogan and Andre. That match didn't matter at all, especially since Andre was pretty much done after that.

Savage was going to be the next big star, and that match had to make him. And it did.

Savage's match accomplished what it needed to much better than Hogan's match. Even if you only go by the monetary measurement.
>>
>>1662596
There are some fans out there who have been watching wrestling every week for longer than Sasha Banks has been alive. I think they might just have a perspective or two she could learn from.
>>
>>1662610
93k people paid to see Hogan/Andre, therefore that was the best match of the night
>>
>>1662504
Yeah that Dave Metzler guy sure doesn't know as much about wrestling he thinks he does! Fucking marks..
>>
>>1662634
>le meltz
>>
>>1662627
Which is better, a dime today or a dollar tomorrow? Wrestling is always about hooking the fans and taking them on to the next show. Hogan/Andre was a dead end. Hogan was going to Hollywood, and Andre wasn't going to be able to go at all anymore pretty soon.

Remember Macho won the world title at the next Wrestlemania. And that in turn set up for the Mega Powers exploding.
>>
>>1662159
no wonder he was pretty much nothing but a comedy midcarder
>>
>>1662652
if Hogan/Andre hadn't had that match their wouldn't be a business for me and you to talk about and thats the truth. 93 thousand people paid to see them, that makes it unequivocally the best match.
>>
Al Snow is retarded. You can't judge the quality of the match on how many tickets it sold, because ppl bought tickets before they saw the match lol
>>
>>1662159
It's the best match of you're an investor, as a fan wanting entertainment the steamboat match was better.
>>
File: legit botch.jpg (8KB, 236x198px) Image search: [Google]
legit botch.jpg
8KB, 236x198px
>Because I do
>>
>>1662659
>93 thousand people paid to see them

This is very important, and I think you're not getting the difference between paying to see a match, and having a match. The final match in an angle doesn't really matter. You've already got their money. What matters is them coming back. The best match on a card is always the match that brings people back, because that's the match that makes you the money the next time.
>>
>>1662675
>>1662678
Oh wow, 93 thousand people paid to see Hogan/Andre. 93 thousand people as great as they were, did not pay to see Savage/Steamboat. Therefore who had the best match on the show?
>>
>>1662675
In the end, it's the entertainment that keeps the wrestling industry alive. So many wrestlers never get that. They think it's all just a get-rich-quick scam and they're still out burning out territories.
>>
>>1662683
Okay, your reading comprehension is just not that good, so we'll stop here.
>>
>>1662690
Everyone says Steamboat and Savage had the best match on the show, they did not. Who sold the most tickets?"
>>
>>1662163
Yes, quite.
>>
>>1662634
Meltzer wasn't a wrassler. He's a gossip writer for wrestling -- which is pretty goddamn low.
>>
This is the dumbest fucking logic ever

I'm a video game guy and if there's one thing I notice from year to year its that the highest selling games (CoD, FIFA, Asscreed shit like that) aren't even worth mentioning in GOTY arguments. I don't just mean with other assholes on /v/ or something I mean industry-wide. At best CoD will get a "best shooter" nomination.
>>
>>1662634
Is this sarcasm? I honestly can't tell.
>>
>>1662159

Presuming this isn't fake. Snow comes off like a douche pushing his opinions on the interviewer and calling him a dumbshit. That said, I can understand his perspective. He's a wrestler, so naturally he's gonna want these big draws to exist so bottom feeding comedy acts like him can make some money from it. Still doesn't make it the best match on the card, because that's subjective. The only objective thing here is who's drawing and how much they're drawing.

Now, what I find really cringey is when you see wrestling fans parroting this sentiment. "X is the best wrestler because he's the biggest draw!" Why the fuck would you care who's drawing the most? You're not in the business you fucking mark. It may be in Al's best interest to praise the big draw over the actual good match, but it's not in yours. You just wanna see the good match. Every single person who says this shit is a 100% verified cuck.

>>1662685

Also: THIS.
>>
>>1662793
It's a lot of logic wrestlers use because they're fucking carnies or people who just saw it as a way to make a lot of money instead of also approaching it as an artform.

Meltzer probably did a lot of damage with the publication and reception of his star ratings because he didn't come from within the business
>>
If you are take the five hundred and a fifty pounds of the Andre Giant that Hulk Hogan he picked up...

And multiply it by its self...

You get the number of that is people who saw this on paper view and in Silvergumbad...

That is a lot of fat . Almost as heavy as N X of T crowd today ha ha ha ,.
>>
>>1662793
Not even close to the same concept. Let's put it this way:

If video games were released as package deals with 6 or 7 games released on one disc, and that was the ONLY WAY to get those games, do you think they'd advertise the artsy-fartsy game like Last Of Us in commercials and cover art, or do you think it'd be your Cow of Poopy or Halo?

Exactly. The millions of of buyers would be grabbing the collection for the shooters, the officionados would be buying it for the shooters AND the story-driven games, but if it wasn't for the shooter pushing sales, you wouldn't even have had the chance to experience small-scale "GoTY."
>>
>>1662802
>Now, what I find really cringey is when you see wrestling fans parroting this sentiment. "X is the best wrestler because he's the biggest draw!" Why the fuck would you care who's drawing the most?

I just assume they own wwe stock now, its the only way their shit isn't grade a retarded
>>
File: ded corny.jpg (17KB, 201x235px)
ded corny.jpg
17KB, 201x235px
>>1662841
/asp/ is a shitposter central with WWE fedoraposter lineage

Draw power is also outdated as fuck post 2001 where the brand is the draw on the big leagues (and most of the discussion is about the big leagues)
>>
File: 1464068514362.jpg (65KB, 521x453px) Image search: [Google]
1464068514362.jpg
65KB, 521x453px
>Because I do
>>
>>1662833
what a stupid comparison
>>
>>1662819
the fuck
>>
>>1662851
I know but it's the only way to rationalize them.
>>
>>1662802
>Presuming this isn't fake.
Its not https://youtu.be/BRpSoSLOR_A
>>
File: 1471725640089.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1471725640089.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>Because I do
>>
Speaking specifically by drawing power, yeah it was Hogan/Andre that everyone paid to see. I get that he's making a point, but that doesn't mean it was the best wrestling match on the card. It was just the most hyped, the most watched, and the biggest draw of that show.
Macho/Steamboat was still the best wrestling match of that show.
>>
File: 1sI_0h.gif (966KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1sI_0h.gif
966KB, 320x180px
>>1662864
Okay but this is not a rational board by any means.

With all this being said, drawing power (not just house numbers, but buyrates, merchandise, critical opinion, how much money is ACTUALLY being made instead of how many seats are being filled) should be discussed in real serious discussions about the best wrestler but not as the single most important thing. Even those ancient fucking neckbeard smarks on DVDVR talk about drawing power
>>
>>1662159
By this logic, did Lesnar-Orton have the best match at SummerSlam?
>>
>>1662893
They did
>>
based al
>>
File: Capture.png (627B, 103x25px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
627B, 103x25px
>>
>>1662915
What?
>>
>>1662915
>wtf why are people discussing shit? REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1662180
>>1662181
>>1662489
>>1662541
>>1662627
>>1662659
I want the anti-smarks to leave
>>
>>1662659
>if Hogan/Andre hadn't had that match their wouldn't be a business for me and you to talk about and thats the truth.

You have no way of knowing that. The business would be different, but it wouldn't be dead.
>>
>>1662710
The point of a wrestling match is to get people to go to the next wrestling show. What show did Hogan vAndre get people to attend?
>>
Based on other comments I've seen from Snow, I think he's doing more than making an argument that commercial success means quality.

Meltzer's view on wrestling is that it's a series of largely independent segments, and that each segment should be as great as possible. By that standard, Savage vs. Steamboat was really great as an individual segment, therefore, it was the best thing going that night.

But that's not a very good model if you're in the business. Going all out every time you're in the ring leaves nothing for special occasions and adds to the physical dangers of the sport.

I don't know if he would agree with this, but I understand Snow's view to be more continuous. A match isn't just bell to bell. It starts with the decision to hold the match or the program. From then, it's the job of the wrestlers and other workers involved to sell tickets for that match and to make sure that the audience goes home wanting to see more. From that point of view, Hogan vs. Andre definitely was the best match of the night.

>>1663049
WWF spent years after WM3 promoting their biggest shows with Hogan as the main draw. Despite claims that WM3 "made" Savage, the first Survivor Series and WM4 were still promoted as potential clashes between Hogan and Andre.
>>
>>1663067
>WWF spent years after WM3 promoting their biggest shows with Hogan as the main draw.

This is why the match is the best on the card. Not because 93,000 fans paid for attendance.

Hogan was not completely solidified as the face of wrestling and a household name until he beat Andre.
>>
File: minus4stars.png (72KB, 1252x674px) Image search: [Google]
minus4stars.png
72KB, 1252x674px
>>1662159
JUST
>>
>>1662159
It's not a really sensible opinion, even objectively. If Hogan and Andre had shit on themselves for an hour, they still would have had 93,000 people allegedly there. The hype sold the tickets, not the match. Yeah, the match did deliver, but that it was what sold the tickets really can't be used as an indicator of its quality.
>>
>>1663091
And this would reported by who?
>>
>>1662986
I want smarks to leave
>>
>>1663093
>Snow's opinion on the match is bad because if the match were different his opinion would be ill-founded.
This sort of reasoning leads to thinking that it's not a bad idea to walk out into traffic because if the traffic wasn't there it would be perfectly safe.
>>
>>1663101
I want marks to leave. Let this board be empty and pure, a silent memorial to the folly of discussing wrestling on 4chan.
>>
>Wanting to see Hogan vs Andre

WWE needs that audience back.
>>
So do you guys think WWE and Hogan will be chill by the time Wrestlemania 33 pops around? I mean shit, there's no way they're not going to do something for the thirtieth anniversary.
>>
>>1663174
Too soon. Give it 2 more years
>>
>>1662490
It's not the best match.

It was a revolutionary match for the time.

Go back and watch any match back then. Seriously go watch a Hogan slog and tell me if you enjoyed it
>>
>>1662159
This is made so ironic and hilarious by the fact that it's a comedy jobber in his prime saying all of this.

He has the word 'best' mixed up with 'most important'. The two things are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>1662875
is this goober really walking around with a walking stick
>>
>>1663186
>It was a revolutionary match for the time.
>Go back and watch any match back then.
It was a very different match for the WWF, but really they were just bringing in the style and speed that had been popular in other promotions - and not just in Japan. (The Rock 'n' Roll Express had been out changing tag team wrestling to go at a faster pace.) And it hardly set about a sea change in the Fed. Vince was set on Hogan as his franchise, then tried to build Warrior, then Luger.

>>1663250
>He has the word 'best' mixed up with 'most important'. The two things are mutually exclusive.
They are not mutually exclusive. I think you mean to say that they're not synonymous. Unfortunately, it's neither ironic nor hilarious that you fucked up while trying to nail Snow on his use of the language, just sad and pathetic.
>>
>>1662473
nah, I think he's doing quite well
>>
>>1662159
this is retarded
>>
>>1665467
Hi Dave!
>>
Based Al Snow busting out the Marxist critical theory to work the smarks.

You see, if interviewers break kayfabe, and want insider info about the industry, instead of reporting the in-ring matches as though real, then they should not complain when the wrestlers give them only what they have been asking for - the bare bones industry side of the business.
>>
>>1662159
what would al snow about being a draw?
>>
>>1662596
the vast majority of people are terrible at their jobs, anon
>>
>>1662627
did someone stand at the door and ask every single person what match they were there to see? because if not saying 93,000 souls all came for hogan/andre is a bit of a stretch
>>
You're all idiots
they were both best for different reasons
Hogan Andre was the bait
Savageboat was the hook
>>
>>1666073
That's been said already in this thread, faggot.
>>
>>1662596
Pretty sure I know more about cooking hamburgers than the dork making my Big Macs.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.