[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Owen Hart fall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: owen.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
owen.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
We all know about the video in the vault from the official wwe camera's but I'm more curious about the rumored fan video. Did anyone believe it exists?

here's a guys detailed claim: http://www.tvpast.org/forum/unscripted/11121-owen-hart-wwf.html

the important part are the bullet points where he described the supposed video:
>Existed before Youtube, before torrents, before Limewire/Morpheus/Kazaa style P2P, before Napster was created, and before Google was the #1 search engine (remember Altavista?)

>Was circulated on the now-gone Hotline Client, the best P2P of the era. It's where people went to get software and multimedia files, and was almost IRC-like. (Technically speaking, I don't think it was actually a "P2P", either.)

>Was maybe 3-4 seconds long at most.

>Was very crappy and grainy, with itty-bitty resolution. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably 160x120 resolution. The video was very muddy gray, with almost zero color of any kind. It was simply underexposed amateur footage with a video camera of that generation. Yet it was still clear enough that you could see it was the 'Nugget' / Blue Blazer.

>Was incomplete. You could see the wires break, but because everybody in the stands was standing at the time (or at least from the vantage of the person who recorded it -- likely watching a video on a big screen in the arena, as is known to have been going on at the time), you never saw the landing. The video shows the lines break, Owen falling in near darkness, what appeared to be a person in the way, and that's it. Clip over.

>Was a RealVideo file. Remember that super-crappy video compression format of the late 90s?

>Had no sound. At least I don't remember any.

>Did NOT come from the PPV recording -- that was dumped from delay. This was an amateur film of some sort, shot from the crowds. At most, it was a horrible copy of B-roll professional footage, but the bad angle doesn't make it likely.
>>
I remember the video of a scaffold match always coming up on p2p engines. wicked spot, though.
>>
I was in the arena that night and have video
>>
>>1609868
you can't see over the crowd
>>
I've never heard anything credible about any video of him actually falling, just of him laying in the ring afterwards

Early file sharing had stuff that was labeled as such but none of them showed the actual fall.
>>
>>1609860

Urban legend, I believe.

I've been around the online wrestling scene since 98 and gore websites like Stileproject/Rotten.com were on my radar then. There was a fan video of him in the ring - similar to Misawa - that fits your description of being shitty-quality-realvideo, but I have never heard about a film of the drop.

Logically a fan catching it doesn't make sense: technological limits of cameras at the time, the fall happening between matches with nothing going on, all over in two seconds, etc.
>>
>I'd say it was probably 160x120 resolution. The video was very muddy gray, with almost zero color of any kind.

At that rate it's not worth it to try and look for it desu, I'm not saying I want to see a man die but if it looks really bad it could be fake anyway.
>>
Really who gives a fuck.
>>
>>1609860
I heard the lights were off when he fell
>>
I had the spanish audio version of the ppv from one of the wrestling torrent sites (not xwt, the other one).
You hear him yell as he's falling, and the spanish commentary team exclaiming "oh my god" and all during the blue blazer vignette that played before the match was to occur. They must not mute spanish audio team at the time.
>>
>>1610831
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wemNiGAdsA0
>>
>>1610836
didn't know it was on YT damn, RIP
>>
I will break into the WWE vault and get the tape. Wait for it. I nees to see Owen die to confirm it myself, I don't believe the WWE's lies
>>
>>1610943
>I don't believe the WWE's lies
Neither do I. I always held true that McMahon and Russo planned for Owen to fall..............but not to die.

I mean, come on. Over the Edge? gtfo
>>
>>1610836

Damn...so fucked up and for shitty gimmick like the Blue Blazer too.
>>
>>1609868
It happened in the USA you fat, ugly Canadian. Stop lying about everything in your life. You will hate yourself less and not cry yourself to sleep as much.
>>
>>1609860
All bullshit.

Owen died in 1999. At that time nobody used those big ugly VHS camcorders anymore and the current trend was Mini-DV, which was portable but really pricey. The quality of mini-DV far exceeds the grainy few seconds of some old taped scaffolding match that is often labeled as Owen's fall. Napster and other P2P programs of the day only did mp3s at the time and average computers couldn't handle decent video. There were not cellphone cameras and the only evidence of the event leaked to the public is audio from the Spanish announcers as it happened.
>>
if the tape existed, you'd have seen it by now

the wwe probably ditched their footage to avoid it being subpoenaed in the inevitable lawsuit

the claims of a fan video are even less believable, because there's no way security would have let someone into a ppv with a camcorder, and those things were hard to hide in 1998

even assuming a would-be bootlegger managed to sneak a camera into the arena, and allowing for the even less feasible scenario that not a single usher saw the guy in the crowd holding a camera the entire show, why on earth would this mystery man tape between matches? it's not like he'd have a tripod, and he has to rest some time. hart fell during a video segment, so if anything our camera guy would be taping the titantron.
>>
>>1611104
wwe has the video i their vault along with the droz video in Kevin Kelly's words

"His death occurred at an event. – Sadly, one of the reasons why Owen Hart remains so fresh in our minds is because he died at a televised event, not in a hotel room. He’s not the only wrestler who died at a show but it sticks with us when we think about that fateful night in Kansas City. I still think about the master tapes on the shelf at the WWE video library inside the walls of the TV studio. Instructions never to destroy, view or duplicate."

I'm listening to Foley talk about it and he said the fall was so bad it broke the boards in the corner of the ring.
https://youtu.be/HGcgFBSS0lU?t=2m30s
>>
>>1611127
>never to destroy, view or duplicate

The only reason for keeping it would be for it be viewed in the future. I wonder has Bret watched it?
>>
>>1611127
so then the only way we'd see it is if an employee managed to smuggle a copy out of stamford, and i can't imagine wwe drones with access to the video vault no signing a gnarly nda

people who work on the fucking kardashians show have to sign nda's stipulating literally millions of dollars in penalties if they're caught leaking to tmz/whoever
>>
>>1611136
Vince probably faps to it whenever he's down
>>
>>1611021
The real fucked up thing is that it was supposed to be one of his last blue blazer match and that he was going to be The Game.

I don't think his fall was an accident.
>>
>>1611181
>he was going to be The Game

Holy shit Haitch is a supervillian. He masterminded the screw job then bumped off Owen.

What I don't get from watching the Spanish commentary is they gave him this elaborate entrance but were playing a vignette at the time- so why even bother with the entrance?
>>
>>1611191
Time constraints, but they probably would've aired the promo and then had him make his descent.
>>
>>1610980
The death is itself a work. Owen wanted to quita year before, and faking his own death was the best way to put himself over and then disappear without anybody bothering him or going to look for him ever again.

The lights were off, so the live audience in attendance would not see the accident. But how does that make sense? Why would you create a spectacular entrance, for it to be undertaken in darkness?

Two, they had already used the "malfunctioning harness" as an angle for the Blue Blazer, in a match against Steve Blackman.

Three, this was the absolute height of the Monday Night Wars, when both feds were desperate to cripple the other one. The Blue Blazer gimmick was basically a cheap shot at WCW Sting being an old school superhero wrestler, who nevertheless was over as fuck. The accident prevented Sting doing his descending from the rafters gimmick ever again.
>>
>>1611127
>I'm listening to Foley talk about it and he said the fall was so bad it broke the boards in the corner of the ring.

Seems weirdly BS. He supposedly dropped onto the turnbuckle. If the impact onto the turnbuckle was enough to kill a man, it seems unlikely the body would still have enough velocity to break the ring.
>>
>>1611104
It is exist for insurance purposes, but will never be released to the public. It's evidence now. There is video of Droz too. All shows are recorded, even house shows.
>>
>>1611220
he didn't hit the turnbuckle, he hit the ropes near a turnbuckle.
>>
>>1611251
either way, for that impact to kill a man, the man's body is not going to then travel onwards with sufficient velocity to break s̶t̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶m̶s̶ ring boards.
>>
>>1609868
You would get killed in KC for being out after dark, you fucking spic.
>>
>>1611306
Im not a spic so thats just not true
>>
>>1611127
brutal
>>
>>1610980
There was an Over The Edge PPV in 98 you retard.
>>
Pretty sure it was record as part of the PPV. I showed up late to my relatives house and all my cousins came at me "Owen Hart just died!". I was like "he dieded?"

Anyways I was big into IRC/DCC back then so I probably downloaded it, pretty sure it existed at some point because I remember the Blue Blazers head bouncing off the ropes.
>>
>>1613179
Pretty sure you're full of shit
>>
File: 1469060725177.jpg (64KB, 499x665px) Image search: [Google]
1469060725177.jpg
64KB, 499x665px
>>1613128
>he doesn't know it was planned a year in advance
>>
File: 1460774942227.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1460774942227.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>1609860
>>
>>1613460
I love these Killer Mcmahon gifs
>>
>>1609860
I'm having a hard time deciding if this is bullshit or not. I've researched a little bit and there's a few scattered forum posts from over the years that seem to corroborate this story.

Ebaums post from 2005:
>I actually have seen a video. It does exist but this was a few years back. The video is pretty bad though it was filmed on an old school camera by a guy sitting at one of the very back rows of the stadium so it is somewhat blurry. I wish i could remember where i saw it.

Forum post from 2006:
>It was posted on www.ogrish.com a while back. Go there and do a search.

And then there's a r/watchpeopledie thread of multiple people telling a similar story and swearing it exists.

I mean, videos get lost from the internet all the time, but I find it extremely hard to believe that nobody saved it onto their hard drive and posted it years later. It's possible, but it must have been erased extremely quickly for such a small amount of people to be aware of it.
>>
File: 99.png (44KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
99.png
44KB, 245x180px
>>1609860
possible thumbnail. video deleted.
>>
>>1613989
Is that Owen in the top right or something, the quality is so garbage
>>
>>1613487

There's also a tremendous number of people on the internet convinced they've seen things that never actually existed.
>>
>>1613487
As one of the oldfags here, I can confirm that ( >>1611092 ) has it right.

Video file transfer was essentially non-existent on the internet in the 1990s; people have mis-remembered things they saw, or have just read the posts of liars and taken them as fact.

I used to view rotten / steakandcheese / ogrish and nobody ever posted the footage. It just doesn't exist.

Rather than videos, people were mostly looking for images back then, and some clever fuckers took a bunch of frames from that old scaffold match, and muddled them up with a bunch of frames from that Blue Blazer / Steve Blackman match where the harness jammed as part of the storyline. They created a somewhat convincing (to 90s idiots who wanted to believe) storyboard of the Owen death. But no video.
>>
>>1614004
right but in this case it's multiple people with almost the exact same detailed story over the span of years

>>1614015
i remember seeing shitty bits of handheld house show footage on the internet in the 90s so i don't think that was entirely nonexistent. but yeah i guess it's most likely that everyone is just remembering the same hoax from years ago. it's just weird to me that multiple in-the-know fans would insist so adamantly that they saw the real thing because this seems like a situation where even a well-doctored hoax is very easy to tell.
>>
>>1615666
nice trips, and yeah that's the one thing that keeps me coming back to thinking it existed at one point, so many people remember it and they always have the same description
>>
>>1615772
>so many people remember it and they always have the same description
like the gospels of the bible?
>>
>>1610831

I can't hear him yelling while he's falling. I only can perceive, and it's a maybe, the noise of the fall
>>
>>1610980
Do you really think there is a conspiracy theory behind every fucking small coincidence in history?
>>
>>1609860
So it wouldn't even be worth seeing. Non-commercial video quality from my childhood was complete shit, and I grew up in a major tech area.
>>
>>1610836
Holy shit I didn't even know this existed
>>
>>1616104

Have a side of edge with that fedora good sir
>>
>>1617705
Please. The fedora is the side to the main dish of edge. Learn some culinary etiquette before you attempt to engage a sophisticated gentleman in a battle of wits, good sir.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.