[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bjj/ - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 15

File: jiu jitsu bow and arrow choke.jpg (66KB, 380x260px) Image search: [Google]
jiu jitsu bow and arrow choke.jpg
66KB, 380x260px
Did some rear mount drills tonight. What's your preferred technique from the rear mount?

I quite like the bow & arrow myself. If you're quick enough it's a fairly easy way to submit your opponent.
>>
>>1604052
>What's your preferred technique from the rear mount?

rear naked, anything else is incorrect

seriously tho

>yellow belt
>bjj

the fuck?
>>
File: judo_ranks.jpg (10KB, 320x153px) Image search: [Google]
judo_ranks.jpg
10KB, 320x153px
>>1604075
It's not uncommon to have gyms that combine Judo and BJJ. Judo has a few more belt colors than BJJ.

OP pic is likely taken from a gym that is primarily based on Judo (probably olympic style at that) and also trains BJJ as well. Any instructor worth their salt in this day and age will have a black belt in both.
>>
File: goku_gi.jpg (2MB, 3413x2560px) Image search: [Google]
goku_gi.jpg
2MB, 3413x2560px
how gay would i look if i bought this?
>>
Twister/ spine lock
>>
>>1604096
Stripes on a judo black belt? what kind of queer homo shit is this pham?
>>
File: one arm juji.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
one arm juji.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1604612
nidan here and i got 2 stripes on my blackbelt
common practice everywhere
>>
>>1604223
that isn't even a nice one
>>
>>1604052
always felt Damian Maia has evolved the meta game of BJJ specially in the MMA context greatly, using the fence to supplement his takedown and wrestling in general and setting up his subs
>>
>>1604675
>>
>>1604052
If I'm already there, RNC. If I'm in a scramble and have space to fuck around a little bit I sometimes try a bow and arrow. If I'm not in a position to finish a RNC I'd rather not have the back at all unless I'm trying to stall tbqh. Easier for me to fuck around in side control.

Purple belt here. I have no relevant training partners and even the browns here are bad and don't tryhard anyways so I have no one to push me. I see fucking whites and blues talk all this shit about their "game" and their move sequences and every fucking tournament match they just get steamrolled.

Then they come talk to me afterwards and ask me how to get out of a RNC after they were taken down effortlessly, mounted effortlessly, roll to their bellies for some reason and then get choked out. Like the only thing stopping them from winning was their opponent sinking in a RNC.

Maybe I'm just turning into a cynical old man but kids and young adults today are the most arrogant and worthless motherfuckers ever.

They want me to take over teaching the beginner classes (>for free) here but I don't know if I can turn things around. We have a good crowd but the community just isn't there.
>>
>>1604806
sounds like you got some burn out. a decent achieving purple tends to burn out quicker specially since the grind from purple to brown is longer then blue to purple

ever think of cross training another style to keep things fresh, visit another gym etc?
>>
>>1604831
I'm considering switching gyms but my gym is 10 minutes from my apartment and the next closest is like 45 minutes away.

I'm a little fed up because I'm trying to tryhard and be good but there's no opportunity to do so outside of tournaments. I've been working on moves I'm terrible at but everyone here just flops under the smallest pressure so I don't feel like I'm progressing.
>>
File: pepe.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
51KB, 657x527px
>join local BJJ gym
>be white belt
>literally the only white belt in class
>everyone is blue, purple, and brown
>get the shit beat out of me every time I roll
>learning zero fundamentals
>it has been 3 months and I haven't learned a single slice from Gracie combatives
>>
>>1604906
ask your teammates for pointers to refine your moves?
>>
>>1604906
Does your gym follow the typical format of warm-up, technique of the day, rolling? Are they making the techniques palatable for you? You should speak to your instructor or ask more questions.

As for getting rekt in rolls...well yeah you should expect that.
>>
>>1604906
you're gonna get totally rekt for the first year ya dingus

white belt habits are hard to break but one day it will click
>>
>>1604906
>Gracie combatives
gracie combatives don't work, that's why you will never learn any of them
>>
>>1605067

I think his point is that is what white belts are literally supposed to learn at Gracie schools
>>
>>1605097
I was never taught fundementals either
the first thing I learned on my very first day in class was a rolling bow and arrow, and a sweep from spider guard

it was all advanced stuff right out of the gate and movement fundamentals came with just developing them naturally

you merely adopted the de la riva guard, I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a hip escape until I was already a man
>>
File: 1469357287520.gif (3MB, 297x348px) Image search: [Google]
1469357287520.gif
3MB, 297x348px
So I'm really new
Are the instructors/students telling me I'm a fast learner being genuine or just trying to boost my confidence?
>>
kys breakdancer
>>
>>1604052

How old is too old for learning bjj? Im 24, 6'2 and pretty broad. Should I start my journey boys?
>>
>>1605893
I think the average starting age for bjj is in the late 20s early 30s.

in some ways starting at 24 is perfect
>>
>>1604096
My professor who is a pro fighter doesn't have his black belt in judo. I'd say it's nice but not necessary, especially if you have a good wrestling background.
>>
>>1604906
>implying rolling with higher level opponents isn't great for beginner development

Don't be afraid to ask them for tips and techniques. Every person you spar with is a resource for learning and personal improvement
>>
>>1606044
Would I be good enough to go into mma with only bjj and muay thai?
>>
>>1606002
My dad started at 50 years old.

Now he's 63, black belt, teaching classes, and is in better shape than most people half his age.

I regret not getting into it sooner. It's one thing to get your ass handed to you on the mat by your own dad, but it's another thing to experience it when he's in his fucking 60s.
>>
>>1606913
Most gyms that have those are full of MMA fighters so I'd think so
>>
>>1607169

At what age did you start? I just don't want to walk in the gym day 1 and it's full of tweens.
>>
>>1605794
some people are just genuinely retarded and dont pick up anything and those people dont get much more than a "good job"

if you have a decent base and you're not getting subbed every 30 seconds then your instructors/peers might be genuine

>>1605893
some people dont start till very late in life and become addicted. its never too late anon

>>1608502
if you join a bjj gym and its full of kids and tweens, fucking leave. find a place with grown ups that have jobs and kids of their own
>>
File: 1469534703288.jpg (58KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1469534703288.jpg
58KB, 633x758px
>>1608603
>tfw get told I'm a fast learner with BJJ but only get the "good job" treatment with muay thai
>>
I have a pretty bad neck from a car accident, and my back ain't too great either.

Am I completely fucked at chances for ever getting into Jiu-Jitsu?
>>
>>1609018
its not to say you can't do it all together, but you probably wont be able to become high level because you can't do inversions and will be extremely smashable with pressure moves
>>
I'm not a fan of these ibjjf sport rules
>match against a gigganigga
>no technique just strength
>working from the bottom the whole time
>never in any danger
>waiting for him to burn out so I can sub him
>time runs out
>he wins the match
it was pretty shit. if it was submission only he would have gotten blown the fuck out
>>
>>1609146
Be less of a skellington then. Athletes are supposed to exercise
>>
>>1609171
I'm beef as fuck, 5 minutes just isn't long enough to work
>>
>>1609217
>I'm beef as fuck

Yeah ok. That's why you're bitching about people using too much strength in a tournament.
>>
>>1609357
the sport isn't about being a meathead. if I'm chilling and you can't advance on me with all your strength I'm winning the fight. I'm not about to start rasslin for a sub while meathead is still thrashing around.

the rules are shit. Negating someone's ability to advance should be worth more than their failed attempts at it
>>
>>1605067
they work on people that don't know bjj and they're made to give people the BARE bare basics for self defense using bjj
>>
>>1608502
thats what i thought - that i was going to join bjj at 21 and it would be full of teens..

funny to see I was one of the youngest ones there..
>>
>>1609401
>stalling and being on the defensive should be worth more than attacking and actually trying to win

Fuck off. I understand flow rolling in practice, but in tournaments it's a fight. You put everything you got into it. That doesn't necessarily mean spazing and gassing yourself out. You can fight efficiently and put your all into it.
>>
>>1608756
What is your goal?
>>
>>1609744
what is anyone's goal, never trained but it seems like people train up to white belt maybe blue then stop, how can someone constantly keep training without feeling like a beta cuck constantly getting tapped and losing?
>>
>>1609758
>giving up so you don't have to deal with the fact that you're not absolute fucking perfection

That's the real cuck attitude.
>>
>>1609744
The guy who replied to you wasn't me
I want to compete
Ideally in mma fights, he'll the ufc if I somehow get good enough despite starting at 19
But if I can't do that then I'd like to compete in both muay thai and BJJ
>>
>>1609744
Oh also, I get a lot of "Oh it'll come as you keep doing it" too, so obviously not very good at it
Granted, it's only my second week and it could possibly be that maybe they think I'm worried since I constantly get told to relax by every instructor and multiple students just when I'm trying to do the moves
>>
>>1609815
They're probably telling you to relax because youre stiff. A lot of newbies do it and it causes you to expend extra energy and gasWes you out. A lot of newbies do it.
>>
>>1609822
Huh, thanks a lot for the clarification anon!
>>
>>1604052
Body Triangle + the Captain America choke that Mayhem Miller taught on TUF
>>
>>1609146
I hate IBJJF rules because of the stupid ass "reaping the knee" rule and the "no compressing the kidneys rule." Cool, no body triangles and no figure four ankle locks, the two things I can get people with consistently

>>1609758
I do it because I know that as bad as I'm getting beat in the BJJ class, I would be beating them in the MMA class. I'm good at what I'm good at, and I don't need to be sad that they can kick my ass at something I've done a lot less. Our coach has us shadow box for two rounds at every BJJ class and it's just hilarious.
>>
>>1604052
1 month white belt here. What is a good list of drills or YouTube video I can do alone to significantly up my game? Basic movements etc. We don't do so many of them in warmup at my gym but I'm still figuring out how to move so it'd help for my off days
>>
I like these, but you have to find ones that fit your grappling style.
https://youtu.be/Tz3GMFc9AHU

https://youtu.be/EXjP50SOwK4

https://youtu.be/Jb_C5lRjM7I
>>
>>1604052

hey senpaitachi. Do you recommend starting more than 1 martial art at a time? Say bjj and judo? The place I plan to go to is an mma spot so they have classes for both. what do?
>>
>>1609815
right now you're still just a statistic. If you manage to make it to blue belt you will already have beaten the odds 1:10, then the odds become 1:400 you will ever make it from blue to purple
>>
>>1610608
Do it because they are the same martial art. Learning one will 100% complement the other
>>
>>1611172
100% agree

try picking up mao thai, works really well with those two.
>>
>>1604223
100% retard, and that comes from a bjj nerd.
>>
File: leg lock counter to single leg.gif (3MB, 441x231px) Image search: [Google]
leg lock counter to single leg.gif
3MB, 441x231px
>>1604906
>Gracie combatives
I kek'd.
Keep on being beat up and rolled out, you'll see the difference when the next wave of white belts/beginners arrive in your gym.
>>1605893
Never too old for bjj.
>>1607169
Props to your dad.
>>1609146
Me neither, but when you enter a competition, you abide the rules. Don't compete if you don't like the rules.
>>1609758
Of course you hate it sometimes, but when you finally gets it and understand the purpose of the given system, it starts to feed itself in your brain and you constantly think of new ways of submitting any living being you come across, from your gf to the bus driver you the cashier to the gentle old lady puddle next door.
For the fun to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHHS2k10q-s
>>
>>1609812
>despite starting at 19
that's a very reasonable age

many professional fighters start fighting as a second career, you don't really hit your prime until your early 30s

within 4 years you will know if you have what it takes to become a professional
>>
I'm 38

Is that too old to start BJJ?

I want a fun hobby to help me get in shape and I love watching the BJJ guys in the NAGA tournaments
>>
>>1612183
There are people that I roll with that started at 50. Go for it.
>>
>>1612183
No way dude, just find some where that isn't a full competition gym.
At our gym we all go tom watch UFC events every few weeks and a few times a year have a Team Training BBQ.
>>
>>1604675
It's a shame his stand-up hasn't really evolved. I think he will have good chances of beating Condit next week if Condit doesn't finish him
>>
>>1604806
Unfortunately martial arts attracts a lot of casuals and weirdos that aren't really serious in the technical aspect. I do Judo myself and I can attest that there a lot of people that need to work on their basics before trying advanced stuff. For example this blue belt is complete shit. He literally uses his hip for every technique if no he loses balance. I rolled with him once and I was able to pin him with just my hand. Instead of trying to get out of side control he tries to arm lock me or gi choke.
Tldr I feel your pain
>>
>>1604906
>combatives
>>
>>1611739
I take it I'll know from like, being good at that point or if I do well in competitions
Also thank you a lot for the reassurance man
>>
>>1606913
No boxing and wrestling are also necessary to be a complete mma fighter
>>
>>1609926
There's only two drills that you really need to practice and that's shrimping and shoulder bridges.
Maybe shoulder rolls if you're feeling fancy
>>
>>1611430
>>1611172

Why are you being a dick? It's possible, albeit very difficult and would have to be a full time activity
>>
>>1613573
within 6 months you should be ready to compete against other beginners, you will feel entirely unprepared and not confident in your skills, but so will the people you fight.
you might win, you might lose, it doesn't matter really it's just to gauge how things are coming along

by the conclusion of year 4 you should be about ready to break through from amateurs to pro if you have what it will take. That again doesn't mean you are the best pro on the circuit, but even high level amateurs should be getting blown the fuck out by you
>>
>>1610608
>The place I plan to go to is an mma spot so they have classes for both. what do?
Take the MMA program. Mixing martial arts is far superior to single martial arts. A hybrid martial arts system is far superior to mixing a few martial arts, unless it's Goju Karate, anyway.
If you find Goju, you should definitely take it.
>>
>>1614786
They're literally the same martial art with two different rule sets. I don't understand what will be difficult about it because everything you earn in judo will be useful in BJJ. You even get to wear the same gi
>>
File: fist.gif (16KB, 262x301px) Image search: [Google]
fist.gif
16KB, 262x301px
>>1615078
this

goju was complete from the get go. Everything else was tainted by this idea of being a "purist"
>>
What is "stacking"? I heard someone use that term while we were rolling and I don't know what it means.
>>
>>1617505
when someone is on their back, and you take their legs and bend them so their feet go past their head. Like if he was trying to suck his own dick
and you put pressure there and squish the life out of him

you would use such a move for defending against triangle and arm bars, or to pass by crushing them until they give up trying to hold on to you with their legs because they can't breathe
>>
>>1609812
Antonio Nogueria started at 18
>>
>>1615078

Why do you consider goju to be superior? Theyre both complete system
>>
>>1621784
It's a board meme. Don't take it seriously.
>>
File: diving driving ouchi takato.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
diving driving ouchi takato.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>1617505
the main principal of stacking in grappling is lifting or disabling your opponent's hips, aiming them toward your opponent's shoulders, this immobilizes or at least limits their movement

From all aspects of ground, from judo to BJJ to wrestling, MMA, stacking is crucial for pins, for passing, disabling a scramble or escape, and riding.
>>
>>1621784
goju is more complete. Some important things to consider is learning how to utilize your enemies clothes for grips and control when its available, deliberately attacking areas like the throat, eyes, and groin, most important of all is rigorous conditioning to weaponize the entire body. if you take away an MMA fighters gloves and hand wraps their striking ability decreases significantly because their hands aren't conditioned to handle multiple impacts without reinforcement.
Goju doesn't use gloves, so the practitioners hands become much stronger and less likely to break when they make contact with a hard object
>>
File: 1459347149852.jpg (99KB, 1321x1782px) Image search: [Google]
1459347149852.jpg
99KB, 1321x1782px
>tfw I won my first ever roll
>>
>>1623779
>trying to win at sparring

Doing it wrong
>>
>>1623841
How should I approach it then?
>>
>>1623851
by intentionally giving up position and putting yourself in awkward spots you are uncomfortable in

what rank was this person you played with?
>>
>>1625366
We're both white but he was first degree and I'm no degree
>>
>>1625833
why did they have you paired with a white belt your first day at class?
>>
>>1626464
It wasn't my first day, I'm in my second week
And the guy offered to roll during open training while I was waiting on the instructor to come back and help me with this one choke we had done on monday
>>
File: judo in wrestling harai goshi.gif (2MB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
judo in wrestling harai goshi.gif
2MB, 500x311px
>>1626794
Its ok if you're competitive and you go into rolling,randori, sparring competitive and wanting to beat people, eventually it leads to some burn out, to really strive and florish in MA, instead of thinking i gotta beat this guy etc, etc. reflect on yourself and think about can you hit your moves, your offensive or defensive set cleanly, against a more experience training partner, against someone your equal, against someone who is stronger or heavier, and with each variant you find yourself growing a bit more quickly because instead of focusing on trite things like beating your teamamates you reflect on your own strengths and weakness and can enhance your technique and knowledge better .
>>
>>1626803
If It makes it any better, I was asking the guy afterwards what mistakes I had made that he'd be able spot so I can fix them for the future

Also, just out of curiosity, am I right in abandoning a good position to try and move into a different submission if I'm not managing to be able to get past his defenses from the position? I had abandoned his back/top mount a few times to go after another possible attack since I wasn't able to get my hands where I had needed them to go
>>
>>1626823
if you're in a dominate position you should take the time to land a sub, forcing a scramble, or rather forcing an error to hit another sub is tough at beginning levels and even styles like sambo and judo that lend their submission game to open scrambles, and lose positioning use other avenues such as throws to stagger and stun uke

can i ask what exactly subs you're hunting for as you stall out from back control and mount?
>>
>>1604223
I have the goku one just like that from the other company. I wear it to open mat and all the guys get a kick out of it. Buy it if you want to just have a laugh with friends but dont wear this to promotions or even risk it in a real class. Some bjj schools are strict as shit about wearing only white black or blue gi's - like militant shit
>>
Dead
>>
>>1626916
Since my arsenal as of right now is really limited due to it being only my second week, there weren't too many things I thought of being able to do
But from the back I was just trying to get my arm around the neck for a choke (they hadn't really taught me anything to do from the back yet, only ways to escape it, so I just went with what I had seen people do before). And from Mount I was just trying to get a collar choke. I had almost gotten it from an S mount but forgot to keep squeezing my legs as I moved my hands
While on top I also hunted for an arm bar a few times but only as I was abandoning one of the positions rather than on its own. I had managed to get it on my second or third attempt and had him tap out as mentioned in my first post.
>>
>>1623851
You shouldnt be trying to win, giving 100%, or doing shit you're already good at during sparring. You should be working on shit thay actually needs work.

You're both sparring to get better, not to win. Leave that for competition
>>
What is the electric chair? Someone yelled "go for the electric chair!" today at the open mat.
>>
File: sambo throw 2.gif (2MB, 414x299px) Image search: [Google]
sambo throw 2.gif
2MB, 414x299px
>>1622044
And we have a winner.
>>1621976
Nice explanation
>>1627782
I'm in a good mood for a good (not beginner) move:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nTPVFdlF4
>>
>>1626794
I still don't think I like this situation. why was this the first open roll in 2 weeks? that should be 50-80% of any given class
>>
>>1604223
>gay

Nigger, you'd look awesome! I fully support weebing out when you roll and compete. Ignore the other fags.
>>
Is there a video explaining the point system in bjj? I feel like I'm giving up points just because I don't know what they are.
>>
>>1605794
If it sounds sincere you're probably doing okay. I got lots of, "Did you do wrestling?" followed by "You're sure you didn't do wrestling?".
>>
>>1631151
It was the first one for me, there's rolling at the end of every class
>>
>>1632510
So you're gay too, faggot.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.