[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Polish Saber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: polish saber.jpg (103KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
polish saber.jpg
103KB, 1920x1080px
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting into Polish Saber fencing, I think it looks like a lot of fun. Trouble is there are no HEMA clubs around me that teach it.

Anyone else recommend or don't recommend it?
>>
>>1577273
join the club nearest to you, once you got a grounding in whatever they teach primarily you can try to get other people interested in polish sabre and learn it from books.
It is not uncommon for clubs to have some people experiment with new stuff once they are more experienced.
I suggest to ask the question in the question in the general if you want more input.
>>1554315
>>
As far as I know there aren't polish sabre manuals. Anyway, some groups are working on it, trying to get it from biomechanics and stuff.
>>
>>1577273
While interesting, the Polish Sabre has no known sources. I would recommend learning other kinds of backsword and sabre for which there are sources.
>>
>>1577552
Well the general died again. Too many people shitposting on /sp/ for the olympics, maybe?

I can't be assed to make a new one; can we just stay here?
>>
>>1582148
Its kinda sad that you need to constantly bump anything that isnt wrassling
>>
>>1582148
It died on Monday, so I guess wrasslin' programs kicked it off.
>>
>>1584309
Sunday through tuesday tend to be really bad for shitposting
>>
/asp/ is no longer suitable for HEMA

sad story
>>
Are there any manuals that go in depth with using a cloak?

Most of the ones I've seen just have a footnote that say wrap it around your arm as a soft shield, and maybe you it to parry.
>>
>>1577273
Turkish saber fencing is very similar to traditional Polish saber fencing, due to the travels of Polish nobility to Middle Eastern countries in the 16th and 17th centuries, as well as the fascination with their culture in general.
>>
Anybody try out the Neyman Montoya gloves?

Are any of the higher end gloves (SPES, Neyman, Koning, Sparring, etc.) significantly better than the other or does it just come down to preference?
>>
>>1586537
I think Fabris has something on it, but I'm not sure. I'll take a look after work
>>
>>1586537
Saviolo
>>
>>1587807
Comes down to practice and it's still a case of least bad rather best. I like to imagine they'll be fun relics of how bad we had it in our young days but who would care.

As long as they fit well sparring gloves are the good old trusty option.
>>
>>1586537
Cavalcabo has a couple of stuff with sword and cloak, not that much but it's there.
The other more famous Bolognese authors have some of it, Marozzo in particular.

Di Grassi as well, and it seems a little bit more substantial (know nothing about it and didn't read so...).
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Giacomo_di_Grassi
>>
>>1586537
also: Dall’Aggochie
>>
>>1587807
I don't think they have reached anyone yet.

Adding to the other anon. Sparring gloves properly fitted really can't be beat for heavy sparring.
>>
Are the SPES jackets the only real options?
>>
>>1577273
>posting a skullagrim video
>ever
>>
>>1590899
I've heard a few decent things about the new Neyman ones, but haven't used them myself. If you don't mind harder hits, you could just use a padded shirt and a lighter jacket.
>>
>>1590931
the fencers in it have a pretty nice duel.
>>
>>1584708
Move to /k/
We usually have a sword/HEMA-ish thread going and I do HEMA
HEMA is weapons related after all, and /his/ is full of retards
>>
So I read the term "Gypsy scissors" recently and found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwvBWq3eWY

What's the story behind it?
>>
>>1592610
>Move to /k/
/k/ weapon discussions seem to involve a lot more shitposting and "x weapon is better" rather than discussions on techniques.
>>
Do you think these riot elbow/forearm guards will work over a fencing jacket?

I'm only asking because they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the SPES ones.
>>
>>1595727

Probably. Need to see em in action but they look good enough.
>>
So I'm just going to assume this is the new HEMA general.

Good to be back.

>>1592610
Can't handle /k/ as a non-American.
>>
Hungarian Etsy smith, how come the feder listing isn't up?
>>
Are there any clear manuals in English to study Longsword?
Where can I find them?
>>
>>1597194
>clear manuals
>in english
>longsword
Choose two and only two, for historical stuff anyway.
>>
>>1590899
Spes
Neyman
Pbt
Gajardoni
Lynx (Pakistani knock off)
Leon Paul
>>
>>1597201
:(
Clear manuals in English then? Better than nothing I guess.
>>
>>1597707
Di Grassi, Saviolo, Swetnam and Silver for the Elizabethan era and early 17th century.
Angelo family for sabre and smallsword and then it'll be military sabre and stuff like that of the late 18th century, early 19th.

The only longsword in english is super-cryptic.
>>
late night bump
>>
>>1583425
>Its kinda sad that you need to constantly bump anything that isnt wrassling
Even wrestling discussion is getting choked by shitposting at the moment - and I say that as a wrestling fan who just stopped by to bump your thread. Stay awesome, HEMAbros.
>>
>>1590931
>>posting a skullagrim video
>>ever

But it's Richard "The Tyrant" Marsden in the Video, former President of the HEMA Alliance, head instructor of The Phoenix Society of Historical Swordsmanship. That get's this vid a pass right?
>>
Szable w dłoń, kurwa!
>>
>>1577273
>Polish saber
https://youtu.be/XTTjqHEN228?t=19m54s
>>
>>1586537
The Spaniards don't have much specifically on cloak, they usually just say "You do pretty much the same with buckler, dagger or cloak." Still there are quite a few techniques since they bunch them all together like that.
>>
>>1593135
There's a Spanish book, "Manual del Baratero", with the subtitle (translated) "The art of handling the folding knife, knife, and scissors of the Gypsies".

I'm not entirely sure why they ended up using scissors.
>>
File: Fiore.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Fiore.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>vesti del llosar
>not sure if captcha or obscure fencing master
>>
>>1606941
Who are these guys? I don't know Fiore, but they seem to be pretty good.
>>
Since there's no HEMA general right now I thought this would be an okay place to ask.

What the best place to start with dagger? Something direct and clear preferably. I have the Art of Combat but it seems that some prior knowledge is required and it has a lack of good diagrams.

Something with good step by step pictures would be great.
>>
>>1609986
Guy Windsor wrote a book about Italian dagger based on the treatise of Fiore de Liberi.
It explains the techniques step by step and shows a few exercises as well.
>>
File: Marta.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Marta.webm
3MB, 480x270px
bump
>>>/wsg/1249510
>>
>>1610209
>>1609986
Are there any bowie knife manuals, or plausible modern systems? What kind of knife is being used in that book by the way?
What other knives like the bowie but older than it are there, that fill its same purpose of being big enough to block sticks with if need be but can also thrust and cut?
>>
>>1614549
Guy Windsor wrote about the rondell, which is a thrusting dagger.
If you want something about knives search for Alfred Huttons "Cold Steel", in his book he predominantly discusses sabre but at the end there is a bit about knives and the dagger.
>>
>>1614549
>What other knives like the bowie but older than it are there, that fill its same purpose of being big enough to block sticks with if need be but can also thrust and cut?
Problem would be that before the 19th century, people would usually have a smallsword, hardwood stick or a messer rather than a cut&thrust "short" knife like a bowie. The best you'll have are most certainly dagger of some sorts, and those are usually thrust-centric.
Bowie knives and the likes are the type of weapons you'll find when people have also access to repeating hand guns.

Usually for knives thrusts > cuts anyway.
>>
>>1614758
Bowie knives were used mainly to stab but the extra function was nice and the beefiness of some like the 13+ inch bladed ones offer nice utility like parrying potential
>>
>>1612371
Not Hema.
>>
>>1577273
So what made you think this was VIDEO GAMES related at all, you fucking nunce?

There are other boards at least vaguely related to this. Jesus Christ...
>>
>>1615249
Oh whoops. My bad. I thought I was on /v/. Carry on
>>
>>1615256
>>1615249
well that was weird
>>
Starts at 3:50 OP, the most accurate and coolest fucking saber fight i've ever seen on film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-mnfJvSDkU
>>
>>1617635
>sabre fight
>no cadenettes
>dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Fb0Y6uUSw
Starts at 1:40 but Keitel's shouting is fun to see as well.
>>
>>1615238
I know, but the thread needed a bump.

I know HEMA is mainly based on unarmored fencing, but there are armored techniques shown. Are there any HEMA clubs that practice with armor, or are you limited to BotN/SCA/etc.?
>>
>>1601009
That is a great video
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.