[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to learn a martial art through video, picture,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: flag_gi.jpg (98KB, 600x492px) Image search: [Google]
flag_gi.jpg
98KB, 600x492px
Is it possible to learn a martial art through video, picture, and text study?

I live out in the sticks and the nearest martial arts studio of any kind is two hours away by car.
>>
>>1573247

You could probably learn to ape the movements of some martial arts well enough that someone without training would think you knew the martial art if shown a video of you.

You could never in your life learn the martial art well enough to use it effectively.
>>
>>1573247
Yeah, but with out any sparring you'll be dog shit at it.
>>
>>1573247
Your growth will be stunted with no sparring but it's possible various sites have distance learning courses
>>
File: Judo-Action-Dummy.jpg (29KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Judo-Action-Dummy.jpg
29KB, 225x225px
>>1573250
>>1573251
I really want to learn judo but I don't want to drive two hours for it.

Do you think getting a heavy, man-sized practice dummy to flip would at least be better than nothing?
>>
>>1573259
You will become very good at throwing an opponent that does not resist at all. It's better than nothing though.
>>
pick fights with big guys 4 u in public places

you'll eventually git gud at fighting or die trying
>>
>>1573259
>>1573264

No, it's worse than nothing. Don't do it.

The important parts of judo are unbalancing your opponent my making him react. You push, he pushes back, you reverse your push and now both you and he are working together to throw him. A dummy won't do that.

Judo is the golf of martial arts, in the sense that tiny subtleties are the difference between being okay and being great. You MUST learn those subtleties in randori and drills with partners.

I'm sorry, but it can't be done. If there's no martial arts in your area, focus on physical fitness until you can move. If you're never planning to move, you're never going to get to learn martial arts. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Everything in the world isn't available every place in the world. I'd love to be able to practice my Dutch more, but I moved to west fucking Cackalacky, so it's gone. Sucks to be me.
>>
File: taijiquan.jpg (47KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
taijiquan.jpg
47KB, 960x720px
Yes, but only tai chi.
>>
>>1573272
he will have no one to critique his technique, he should get someone to tape it and yell worldstar! every 30 seconds and let us see his form in the fight.
>>
>>1573282
this 2bh famalam

tai chi is great meditation practice
>>
>>1573292
>>1573282
>read hella books and watch hella videos on taichi
>practice for months/years and get good at replicating the movements
>start the first and only martial arts club in your bumfuck town
>help fatties lose weight, give weebs a place to hang out, get to call yourself "laoshu" all while making an extra few bucks on the side

You know now what you must do, OP
>>
>>1573264
>>1573279
Dang, that sucks to hear. I've been watching olympic judo and it seems like a lot of fun and pretty useful in physical confrontations.

>>1573272
I don't think this would teach me how to fight anymore than it would teach me how to get my ass kicked.

Besides, I always thought martial arts was all about avoiding confrontation when possible. If I go around picking fights, wouldn't that make me a nigger in the MA world?

>>1573282
>>1573292
>>1573302
I've never given a nod to Tai Chi before, but it seems pretty peaceful and is probably my only shot at learning -any- martial art whatsoever.

Do you guys have any recommendations for books or youtube vids on where to begin with it?
>>
You can, but you need two things. A couple of training partners and Instagram. People are doing it now, and the old fools don't realize it.
>>
Op afraid of going to the gym and getting his ass kicked
>>
>>1573247
You can't. The good news is that getting fit really is important.

If you can get yourself a practical, athletic body, you won't just be a better martial artist, you'll learn martial arts easier.
>>
Since judo was mentioned, I will tell you how to do it. First, get an instagram, and second get a buddy of yours to be your sparring partner. You will need to train with this person about 4 times a week, two nights doing technique and two nights doing drills and mobility exercises.

Get to ebay and buy a cheap judogi for you and your partner, along with some gymnastics or tumbling mats for your mom's basement.

Next, find the judo dojo nearest you and see if they have promotion requirements listed on their website. Once you have that, start plugging the names of the techniques into instagram. If it says, O Goshi, then plug in #ogoshi into instagram. Copy what you see and put it on your own instagram with the phrase "my first attempt at #ogoshi #judo" in the description.

Many times the nature of the internet is to tell you that you just did everything wrong and how to fix it. Use the inherent negative attitude of the internet be your teacher.

After you've got the hang of a few different techniques and you feel you are comfortable, sign up for the nearest local tournament. Expect to get your ass thrown. Expect to be last place.

Your goal here is not to win. Your goal here is to talk to other judoka at the tournament and let them know that you are trying to learn and that you have been teaching yourself and would like to drop in on their class once a month or so.

Then you can continue with your internet learning, and you will have a place that you can refine your tech.

This is how people in the sticks with an internet connection are doing it, and there is no reason why you can't.
>>
>>1573247
GTFO faggot
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.