[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eternal HEMA General: keeping the thread a living tradition edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: 1469088469413.webm (729KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469088469413.webm
729KB, 1280x720px
Historical European Martial Arts Thread
Please keep it kind and on topic. Also no SCA/Reenactment/HMB please.

Essential Information:

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=619536
http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.hroarr.com/
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php
>>
>>1554315
So I remember a few threads ago someone posted a picture and it was said the picture was not from mesuren but a duel to first blood under some set of rules. any information on that?
>>
You guys into Battle of Nations at all or do you see it as pleb tier?
>>
File: 141235562138.jpg (58KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
141235562138.jpg
58KB, 500x661px
>>1554970
>Battle of Nations
>>
>>1554970
It's a brute match. Really fun to watch once in a while but many people prefer the intricacy and technicality of HEMA.

They're both great in their own way.
>>
>>1554315
Is the technique in OPs webm from a manual, I have never seen something like that before.
>>
>>1556871
Looks Italian to me.
>>
>>1557082
Auserswald has this throw in his Ringen treatise (without the sword, of course). Its called erste Zwerchstellung i think
>>
>>1558329
Auerswald... i should reread my posts from time to time
>>
So what glove options are out there for steel training?

I know of the sparring gloves, the Koning, the SPES clamshell, and the Black Lance.

Anything new?
>>
>>1558851
Black lance has ceased production. Neyman fencing has the thokk glovesand, af has their heavy glove, and comfort fencing still has gloves I assume.

One day we will see the progauntlet too
>>
>>1554315
Both times he was cut as well before he finished opponent. Looks like needlessly dangerous maneuver.
>>
>>1554970
Since its rules come down to a "you can't do stuff that actually works" I'm not really into it. It might be or might be not historical, medieval tournaments had sometimes weird rules, but I still prefer the techniques of historical fencing than the hyphotetical brutality of a (maybe) historical knightly tournament.
I would definitely give it a try, tho. I enjoy trying different stuff at least once, just to know it better.
>>
>>1560666
>Looks like needlessly dangerous maneuver.
Grappling without controlling the opponent's weapon or the weapon's arm indeed is risky.
>>
>>1560666
It looks like he parried the initial power cut. The blade may have touched him, but that close I don't think it would cause significant damage.
>>
>>1560999
Potential sliding cuts to skull and back though...
Nice trips exchange btw.
>>
>>1556871
It does look like an interpretation of durchlauffen at least loosely.
>>
File: 87316891_2.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
87316891_2.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
Anyone have any Spanish cloak & dagger or knife (like the navaja) resources?

I was reading a story about the use of the capa and the weapons of Spain, and it all seemed pretty interesting. Purportedly, it's different from FMA or bowie methodology.
>>
>>1560666
Looks completely fine to me. It's important part of HEMA to respect that these are bladed weapons but I think you're just into razer sharp or lightsaber territory with that concern.

Second one is really really nice.

Anyone going to Fightcamp?
>>
>>1554315
anyone heard of that kickstarter of that swiss guy who want to make an obstacle race between a firefighter, a modern soldier and a guy in full plate in full gear? is that guy used to run in armor?
>>
File: saber_kv1.jpg (39KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
saber_kv1.jpg
39KB, 640x427px
Two questions for you guys:

First, has anyone used one of Regenyei's new sabers? I like his feders well enough, but wanted to get some reviews of this before ordering one.

Second, should fingertip protectors be used with the SPES heavies? I'm don't use them with mine (and haven't for about a year now, without any problems), but one of the guys at my club said I should add them for a tournament. Have I just gotten lucky, or are they fine without them?
>>
File: i am right handed.webm (3MB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
i am right handed.webm
3MB, 400x320px
im making a hema game, its not VR.
>>
>>1566932
Ah yes, I recognize that third strike from the J. Chan Codex...
>>
File: sneaky.webm (739KB, 720x402px) Image search: [Google]
sneaky.webm
739KB, 720x402px
>tfw you're sparring against someone way better than you, and you try to sneak in one-handed thrusts
>>
does anyone have experience with the Military Sword Exercises of 1842, about military sabre? good for beginners with with limited experience in sabre, but a solid hema background? i mean, it's a military manual for troop exercises, so it won't make one a master sabre fencer, but since it was writen to drill the basics into everyone from half way capable to total idiot, it should be usefull for beginners, right?
>>
>>1568960
I guess
>>
>>1566932
this gave me top kek
>>
>>1568960
Yea it's not at all bad. It's very limited and not a very informative source but easy to pick up and a very effective style.

It's worth remembering that Military manuals are a pretty barebones reminder syllabus for experienced trainers and it's highly likely that they were completely ignored at the regimental level for what was essentially a living passed down heritage in a sense.

If you're starting a club Sabre isn't necessarily a good starting point as it's movements are alot different from the earliest sources and alot has to be reworked or relearned imo.
>>
My elbow really hurts after I train one handed swords, is there anything I can do to stop this?
>>
>>1571879
use your elbow less and your wrist more. This way your wrist will hurt instead of your elbow.
Also never straighten your elbow completely even during a hit.
>>
Just picked out my jacket and found this shit on it, mildew/mould, can I just douse it in 100% alcohol and hope for the best?
>>
>>1572631
if alcohol doesn't work on it then try dousing it in vinegar and then putting it in the freezer for a day
>>
>>1571879
Warm up more. Could just be tendonitis.
>>
>>1572631
It used to be a common experience for regular people to have to brush the mildew out of their winter clothes when they took them out of storage, bruh. It's not permanent. Worst case scenario just wash or dry clean it.
>>
Are larp polearms suitable for full contact poleaxe sparring?
>>
>>1574431
heavily depends on the polearm types the ones that most larpshops sells MIGHT be, but they are too wobbly for safety reasons.
Home made ones are pretty sure most of the time aren't safe enough to use it for full contact.
>>
>>1558851
Just in case you are still creeping this thread, I have had the hoof design of Sparring Gloves for about a year, and I have had no problems. Someone in my club has SPES, and they are pretty good too. One thing I will say is Sparring Gloves are much much lighter than SPES, and in that way Sparring Gloves are slightly easier to control. There is a noticeable difference in the momentum when you are swinging a sword with SPES gloves vs Sparring Gloves. That being said, when I got my gloves they were much more expensive than SPES gloves (not sure if they still are).
>>
How related is Battle of Nations/Armoured Combat League to HEMA?
>>
>>1574875
BotN takes fencing to a whole new level. To the literal level. I mean they are always grabbing the fences.
>>
>>1564593
I don't know if there's any cloak in there, but apparently there's hat:
http://www.esgrimahistorica.es/Documentos/Cuchillo/Manual_del_baratero.pdf
>>
>>1571879
Make sure your elbow bends vertically in most cases.
>>
What are some good movies with sword fighting in it?

Two i can think of are
>alatriste
>the counte of monte cristo

are their anymore?
>>
>>1574904
Rob Roy
>>
>>1574904
The Duellists ?
I guess you aren't looking for japanese movies ?
>>
>>1574964
>>1574983
Damn seen em both
>>
>>1575079
Not purely sword fighting but there was a movie about the famous Giovanni de Medici (of the Black Bands) which was pretty nice, with early canons clashing with plate cavalrymen and all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Profession_of_Arms_(2001_film)
>>
>>1574904
Three Musketeers/Four Musketeers

Anything else Hobbs worked on
>>
>>1574904
Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribean, Master and Commander, Star Trek 2009, The Princess Bride... ... ...

If you meant movies with good or realistic swordfighting well that narrows things down
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.