[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For real though, what happened? What went so wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (122KB, 800x564px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 800x564px
For real though, what happened? What went so wrong?
>>
>>1545325
>White hot push was stopped by a jealous has-been
>Had to job to a part timer whole stole his mania maim event two years in a row
>Tired of being top tier talent treated like a garbage
Gee I don't know
>>
The success went to his head. He started believing his own hype.
>>
Punk wanted the Cena treatment, Vince didn't want to open up his heart like that again, Punk felt used and left.
>>
He didn't draw a dime
>>
>>1545336
Hi Phil! You should really be training for your fight. If you do you might only get crippled instead of killed.
>>
He was over pushed and never drew a dime. He never tried to promote wwe despite being pushed like a faggot stapled to Vince McMahons tip
>>
>>1545351
>>1545344
>This revisionism
Get a clue
>>
The fuck is it with you losers and Punk?
>>
>>1545325
The shining example of the modern day entitled millenial wrestler. I miss the days when the marks stayed in the audience.
>>
File: phillip.png (28KB, 644x388px) Image search: [Google]
phillip.png
28KB, 644x388px
>>1545354
What revisionism?
I'm sure someone else can post the raw ratings graph too for you
>>
>>1545336
This. For as over as he was, they treated him poorly. He was the one who got me to start watching again desu.
>>
>>1545325
They botched the Summer of Punk. Actually it was more like deliberate sabotage.

They had the next Stone Cold ready in Punk instead Del Rio had to win the title because of the Mexican tour, then Nash came back out of nowhere and feuded with Punk, then the feud became HHH vs Nash and Punk was sidetracked, then Nash fucking texted himself and HHH beat Punk which made no sense whatsoever, and Punk was promised a win over Nash after his loss to HHH but in classic Kliq fashion Nash tore his quad after the NoC burial so now he can't put over Punk, then Punk now suddenly has a "love hate" relationship with HHH which killed his rebellious anti-authority character, and after all of that he was also pinned in a triple threat the next PPV and lost a tag match againt Miz and Truth (only to have them lose to Cena and Rock the next month). Even when he finally won the title 4-5 months later when nobody cared anymore The Rock had to come back and take the main event, which diminished the moment. And when he held the title for a year he only main evented like 4 ppvs out of 15 and was always treated like shit and played second fiddle to Cena.

You can "Hi Phil!" me all you want but it's the truth, Punk has every right to be bitter
>>
File: 6zOfg1H.png (58KB, 329x329px) Image search: [Google]
6zOfg1H.png
58KB, 329x329px
>>1545405
>Punk
>next stone cold
>>
File: tumblr_ma8717Bq3F1rg89a6o1_400.png (221KB, 375x504px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma8717Bq3F1rg89a6o1_400.png
221KB, 375x504px
>>1545421
>>
>>1545405
I gotta say, summer of punk had huge fucking potential, no one can deny what a great time that was, Easily the best thing to happen in last decade, but they blew it all up, thanks to triple h.
>>
>>1545421
its easy to think that statement is ridiculous now but watching it at the time it really felt like it could happen, after years of cena on top this random heel of the month midcarder goes unscripted live (work or not it was still a great promo) and made wwe mainstream for a while

the pipebomb was his austin 3:16 and if wwe wanted him to become a mega star (maybe not on the level of hogan/austin/rock but just a tier below) they could have, he just needed time a proper build up
>>
>>1545464
and proper build up*
>>
>>1545336

It's easy to say Punk was a whiny bitch, and he kinda was, but he wasn't wrong.
>>
>>1545421
>Batista vs Orton
>greatest wrestlemania mainevent of all time

>Roman
>the next Rock

Memes and apologism aside both Punk and Bryan were draws that the WWE tried to sabotage instead of capitalizing on, and for utterly idiotic reasons too.
It's not the first time it has happened and it's not the last time it will happen.
>>
>>1545482
>Punk and Bryan were draws
Kek
>>
>>1545371
A real entitled millennial would have kept working for Vince because they're pussies that never take action. Punk walked out and went to fight for real in UFC. Dumb and whiny he may be but he's more than just talk.
>>
>>1545405

>phil could have been the next austin

No. Phil honestly couldn't politic and couldn't understand that not everything can go his way always. this stupid idiot was champ for over a year, and then had the nerve to go on colt cobanasteins podcast and complain about his work rate. He lied about taking bumps that he never actually took. He thought he was on the same level as the rock and cena and he is not. He was a frail, manlet, brat who took his ball and went home when vince wouldnt give him the cena treatment
>>
>>1545503
no an entitled millenial would think "dude I don't even need this job lmao, I can just be a UFC fighter.. it will be easy"
>>
>Punk was """"""""""The next Austin""""""""""

I loved his run, and won't shitpost on the guy saying this. But this is the most underage fucking shit ever.
Austin was a maelstrom of elements that can't be replicated, capped off by a capacity to entertain greater than Punk could ever dream of.
He was the first Punk, which was great. But he was not, nor will anyone ever be "The next Austin".
>>
>>1545497
They were.
Despite the office's best efforts to derail them they were over and they drew money, if management had supported who knows how big they could have been?

>>1545522
>the cena treatment
Punk was the guy that came closest to catching up to Cena despite not having the same support, protection and plot armor. With the Cena treatment he could have been huge, good money for the company too.

>>1545533
The similarities are there tho, like how Hogan and Cena's characters are also similar.
>>
>>1545405
You understand how big of a draw Rock is right?

Compare WM27 and 28 numbers to 25 and 26, it's night and day. For Punk to say that nobody bought WM because of Rock, and they did because it was Wrestlemania is a joke
>>
>>1545578

>catching up to cena

Except what a lot of people leave out is that cena didn't start off as super cena, cena started out as the doctor of thuganomics and was a cringe white boy rapper who jobbed to the other big stars for years. Phil didn't want to do that, phil wanted the cena treatment right away and complained if he had to put anybody else over. In retrospect it's a good thing Vince didnt give him the cena treatment because phil would just up and leave anyway.
>>
>>1545769
Do you understand that they can only rely on retired wrestlers for so long? Build another rock. Build another austin. Build another hogan. Appearances here and there are one thing, but all they should do is put over new talent at this point.
>>
>>1545785
If they're going to actually wrestle*
Forgot that last part
>>
>>1545785
Rock isn't just a "retired wrestler", he's one of the top three draws ever.

He drew HUGE two years in a row for Mania, wouldn't you want to keep that going if you were a promoter?
>>
>>1545790
Absolutely, but he should not have won a championship. That's just retarded, and slowly killing new talent.
>>
>>1545797
http://www.gerweck.net/tv-ratings/2013-ratings/

look at the immediate ratings jump when he won the belt after RR

You can call it hotshotting, but it made sense. The best case for Phil like he said would have been a triple threat.
>>
>>1545809
>a spike for one month is somehow better than drawing in new fans to continuously watch a program
It was nostalgia fags and women. You can argue all your want, but to say part timers going over new talent, especially when it's someone as over as punk was, is retarded. There's a reason why ratings are down, and one little spike once a year won't do shit for the company.
>>
>>1545823
If Punk was so over why did Rock spike the ratings so much when he took the belt off him?

Rock got eyes on the product which is/was hard as shit for WWE to do. Look at the ratings now, embarrassing. They have to announce midcarders like Shelton Benjamin coming back in advance in an attempt to get people to turn on wrestling.

>WrestleMania XXV - 960,000
>WrestleMania XXVI - 885,000
>WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000
>WrestleMania XXVIII - 1,300,000
>WrestleMania XXVIII - 1,048,000 buys

That's all you need to know to see if it was a good idea to give Rock the belt or not. Yeah WM29 dropped in buys, but it was still much higher than 25 or 26. Cena/Punk would have done even less

That's all you need to
>>
>>1545832
>That's all you need to

whoops
>>
>>1545832
Nigga 25 was randy boreton vs triple gay

26 was the battle of the no draws, taker vs hbgay
>>
>>1545839
And 27 was good and noone give a fuck about rick guest host, cena was the main event
>>
>>1545839
24 did 1,024,000 even with Floyd so Rock did better than that year too

The only WM to get more buys than 27/29 was 23 (Trump), and 28 got more
>>
>>1545779
You mean paying his dues? Punk did.

He did his time in ECW, he did his time as a tag team, he did his time in the midcard, he did his time in the SES, he did his time in the second Nexus, he did his time in SmackDown, he did comedy angles.

He's not like Sheamus that got the world title right out of the gate, or Reigns that got chosen as the next Cena before he even debuted on the main roster.
>>
>>1545464
>its easy to think that statement is ridiculous now but watching it at the time it really felt like it could happen,

Literally no.
>>
>>1545832
You're somehow not understanding what I'm saying. Relying on old talent to draw is a giant mistake. It makes people only care about that one person and as soon as they're gone (which is very fast) that consumer leaves with them. Get that spike, but make that new guy they're going against look phenomenal. Even fucking AJ gets it. Look at what he did for Roman.
If hogan went over the rock at whatever WM it was, would you support that?
>>
>>1545922
>If hogan went over the rock at whatever WM it was, would you support that?

Considering they gave Hogan the belt right after and Rock left 4 months later it wouldn't have really mattered much
>>
>>1545935
So you would have supported that? You think hogan needed that win?
>>
>>1545941
loaded question, I'm a Hogan mark
>>
>>1545947
You know you're wrong though. Hogan didn't need the win. The rock didn't need the win against punk. It was a huge mistake and they lost out on one of the few people who made wrestling somewhat relevant again.
>>
>>1545971
>rock didn't need the win against punk

You have to think like WWE here. WM28 drew the biggest buyrate of all time, the main event was Rock vs Cena. You obviously want to repeat this, but how do you do it? Simple, get the belt involved.

The fact is Punk vs Cena wouldn't have drawn as much as Rock vs Cena did both times. The only way Punk could have been there is in a triple threat. If you have The Rock willing to wrestle, you don't make a mistake like you did in 2004 and say "No, have fun in Hollywood and call us back when you fail"
>>
>>1545947
>I'm a Hogan mark
kys grampa
>>
>>1545983
Nope, I'm barely 18+ and missed his entire full time career.

Shows how GOAT he is desu
>>
>>1545440
Are they related? Why are there so many pics of young Punk and Stone Cold together?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (98KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
98KB, 1920x1080px
>>1545990
punk wishes
>>
>>1545981
Right, I'm not saying don't get him to wrestle. Get him to wrestle, but get him to put over the new guy. New people see this guy go over their old favorite guy and want to tune in again in hopes of seeing him get beat.
Instead, they see their guy win, tune in for the next two weeks and then drop off when they get bored and realise nothing has changed. Which is pretty much what happened. Why care about a guy who lost to some legend? He's done. Look heath slater
>>
>>1546009
It's The Rock, one of the three biggest draws of all time who just drew a record buyrate for your company the last year. What were you gonna do, put him in the mid card vs Ziggler and have Rock put him over? Rock was always going to be in the main event because he's one of the biggest draws ever, and Punk isn't.

It's either you don't let The Rock come back and main event at all and have even less eyes on your product, or have him come back and get a nice ratings spike and buyrate for your PPV.
>>
>>1546031
I agree with you. The rock draws the fuckers in. They should have used that to put over new talent. Which they didn't. Which is retarded.
No different than cena beating rusev. Rusev should have gone on to become a monster. Now he's a joke.
>>
>>1546058
Yes but how would you have done it? Absolute best case scenario would have been Punk beats Rock at RR clean (which is already unbelievable considering he was a cowardly heel), Rock beats him at EC, and then they make it a triple threat with Cena in there
>>
>>1545476
This. That's basically it.

Punk had a huge ego. He constantly felt he was owed the top spot and various other things. He made demands and threatened to walk many times. He did walk a couple times. He refused to fit in the mold of the business and kept trying to change things, then got pissed when Vince continued to do things the way they'd always been done. In short, he thought he was above the business.

On the other hand, he had legitimate issues. The Mania shit aside, he was banged up. He was mistreated and ignored by WWE's doctor about the staph infection on his back. He did work with Ryback for Vince, even though Ryback was stiff and sloppy and had nearly broken him in half already, and he got hurt again for it. He wasn't given time off when he really needed it to get treatment and recover. He really was fired on his wedding day.

It was Punk's fault and WWE's fault. But while WWE recognizes the situation from a business standpoint and would happily work with him again, Punk is pissed and refuses to ever set foot in WWE again. That's it.
>>
>>1546068
Punk cheats to win, gets his comeuppance, triple threat ensues. Sounds fine to me.
>>
>>1546080
If Punk goes back to the WWE, he'd job to Reigns or the current Vince's fuckboi
>>
>>1545881

And Punk was champ for over a year for that. But the problem was he complained when wver something didn't go his way. "ouch ryback hurt me" "oh i have to drop the title" "oh i work too hard" In all honesty he could have main evented this year if he didn't rage quit because phil couldn't admit the rock was a better draw
>>
>>1546080
>He refused to fit in the mold of the business and kept trying to change things, then got pissed when Vince continued to do things the way they'd always been done. In short, he thought he was above the business.

This is bullshit, Punk was an old school guy brought up in the buisness with an old school mentality. Vince is the one who radically changed how everything works after he won the monday night wars, with scores of soap opera writers and every single match being micromanaged by road agents.
>>
>>1546261
>Punk was an old school guy brought up in the buisness with an old school mentality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJ7A2uhExg
>>
>>1546180
Let's say Punk has his little UFC fight and decides for whatever reason that he's ready to return to WWE.
So he walks in day 1, has a shiny new contract that's paying him a shit ton of money. Assumes he's automatically top dog because he's CM fucking Punk.
What's Vince going to do? That's right. Keeps working the championship with Balor and Rollins. Where does Punk end up? With Reigns.
Now Punk thinks that this program is all about fixing Reigns' image, and elevating him from getting some substance in a storyline with Punk. Call it paranoia or pessimism. Maybe it's the truth.
In the end, Reigns goes over, Punk is moved to another main event angle, but not a Mania main event angle. And we're back to square one.

It'll never work. Punk is a chaser, and he'll never get what he think's he's owed. He cannot fit within the structure of WWE because he thinks the structure is wrong, and to some extent he's right. But his pissing and moaning will get him nowhere, and he'll keep stepping on toes until either he or Vince has had enough.
>>
>>1546261
I'm sorry, I misspoke. When I say 'the way they'd always been done', I mean 'the way Vince wants to do them'. Because that's really the way things have always been done.
>>
>>1546273
This is not to say that he'd never main event Wrestlemania. I'm sure he would. But I'm also sure that, when we came to that point, it still wouldn't be enough for Punk.
>>
Can't wait for punk to return in five years as a part timer that steals the wrestlemania main event from whatever guy is in the shoes he was in back in 2013.
>>
>>1546362

This. Phil is going to pull a jerico and come back as a main eventer
>>
phillip mcchiacgo
>>
>>1546377
Jericho? The guy who came back solely to put new guys over?
>>
>>1546382

>Jericho?
>The guy who came back solely to put new guys over?

Yeah, he sure put that AJ Styles over huge at Mania, I tell you what.
>>
>>1546080
>from a business standpoint
The way they handled Punk was bad for business, both the booking of his character and the treatment of him as an employee.

At the end of the day he was a valuable asset for the company, he was making them a lot of money and he had the potential to grow as an asset and make them even more money down the line. Any other business would have realized this, thrown a couple of bones at him, please him to keep him around and reap the benefits. But the wrestling business is very peculiar, a lot of times choices are not made with profit in mind but rather out of gut feelings.

He wasn't Vince's favorite guy and HHH outright hated him. Keep in mind this is the same company that put up with HBK's bullshit during his first run, compared to him Punk was a choirboy.
>>
>>1546391
>vet vs vet
>vet loses
50/50 booking was that culprit.
Jericho also threw himself onto tacks for dean.
>>
>>1546000
lemme get dat flaming hot cheetos cut
>>
>>1546399
>not saying how many tacks they were
>>
>>1546405
SIXTY-NINE
>>
>>1546287
The difference is pretty key.

I'm not saying Punk was right about everything, but he was never a big proponent of the kind of workrate bland stuff the IWC stereotypically likes.

You are totally right that his problem was one with authority though, he always had a chip on his shoulder.
>>
>>1545325
That heel turn in 2012 fucked Punk up more than anything. You know it wasn't working because they tried to get him to shoot on Jerry Lawler's heart attack and it went over like a fart in church.

If they HAD to feed him to Rock, they could have kept him babyface.

The Paul Heyman Guys angle fucked up a lot of things, sad because it had great potential
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.