[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What things did WCW do better than WWF?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

File: Nitro.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Nitro.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
What things did WCW do better than WWF?
>>
They had Scott Steiner.
>>
>>1536477
Scott Steiner
>>
Cruzwaits
>>
>>1536477
Goldberg
Sting
Scott Steiner
DDP
>>
>>1536477
It's exactly what Scott Steiner said: the talent knew how to be cool. Unfortunately, when they got big heads and became marks for themselves and when that geek Russo took over, that's when everything started going downhill.
>>
Midcard and in-ring quality
>>
everything
>>
Cruiserweight/lucha stuff. Everything else was worse.
>>
Goldberg
Booker T
Steiners
Flair
Sting
Muta
First major company to have talent exchange
Knew how to book NWO (hogan hall and Nash are reason it sunk)
Knew how to book invasion angles well
>>
>>1536502
>Knew how to book the NWO
>Never had a payoff
>Disappeared randomly, with the last sighting being Jeff Jarrett and two nazis being the only members
>>
>>1536502
>Muta
Didn't turn him babyface
>>
why didn't goldberg wanna wrestle jericho

he didn't even have to lose
>>
>>1536477

undercard/cruiserweights
jericho
invasions
>>
>>1536477
Build new stars, rather than just raid other promotions and claim to have gotten guys over. WCW definitely raided other promotions too, but they were able to build up DDP and The Giant from scratch.
>>
Power Plant. NXT is basically a rip off
>>
>>1536589
>forgetting goldberg

wut
>>
File: the yeti.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
the yeti.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
THE YETAAAYYYYYY
>>
File: thunder.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
thunder.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
Wrestling Video Games
>>
>>1537120
Looks like shit m8
WcW nWo revenge was the beez kneez tho b4 AKI got contracted by the E.
Like how did they even know how much better the grappling system was and to take it from them in the following years.
>>
File: kanyon_revenge.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
kanyon_revenge.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>1537137

Yeah Revenge had such better graphics...

Keep on typing gibberish though I guess.
>>
>>1536486
Only the midcard had in ring quality though.

WCW main events were awful wrestling wise. When Nash and Beeg are two of the better workers, there is an issue.

Compare to the WWE were Steve Austin was always decent, The Rock could tell a story and 1999 and 2000 Triple H and Kurt Angle were world class.
>>
>>1536509
It had about 20 different pay offs, each smaller than the last. That was the problem
>>
>>1536539
Jericho would've exposed him as a one trick pony who wasn't even good at that one trick.
>>
>>1537178
The payoff was WCW going over the nWo

This never happened
>>
>>1536589
Holy shit you're fucking stupid.

WCW literally sank because they had built no one up.

Meanwhile WWF had made Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, Kurt Angle and The Undertaker.

The only reason that WCW ever competed was by relying on old WWF stars and they collapsed when they got too old to wrestle.
>>
>>1537186
Sting went over Hogan at Starrcade.
>>
>>1537187
>WCW literally sank because they had built no one up.

>Booker T
>Goldberg
>Steiner
>Sting
>DDP
>>
>>1537192
And look what happened? Hogan cucked his momentum and Sting was a shell of himself just a few months later. I guess I should have worded it "The payoff was WCW going over the nWo and they disband"

Wolfpac was cool but nobody gave a shit about nWo 2000
>>
>>1536589
The raiding thing is relatively new (ie. Styles, Owens, Zayn)
outside of Hogan. Most recognisable WWE is home grown throughout history. Indie guys are a new HHH thing.
>>
>>1537194
And those guys didn't draw shit because they never got any kind of rub.

None of those guys were true stars.
>>
>>1537209
18+
>>
>>1537199
I agree. They killed the payoff and then supplemeted a smaller payoff further down the road. They did this over and over.
>>
>>1537205
WWF was literally built from raiding and destroying promotions though.
>>
>>1537213
I'm 22. Probably older than 80% of this board.

Numbers don't lie. Keep deluding yourself into thinking that WCW was sitting on a gold mine of stars.
>>
>>1537209
>Goldberg didn't draw
>Was the only reason WCW ever won in the ratings post WM14
>Goldberg didn't get a rub
>Pinned Hogan clean

>>1537214
It would have been much interesting to see the nWo disband after Starrcade 1997 and have singles feuds. I don't know why Hogan buried Sting so much, he would have probably turned face and been at worst the #2 guy in the promotion
>>
>>1537205
Both companies raided the absolute fuck out of ECW for years.
>>
>>1537216
I'll give you that. But for the last 25 years, that hasn't been the case
>>
>>1537220
>le wise 22 year old

kys
>>
>>1537220
>I'm 22

So you weren't even a kid back then, a fucking baby
18+
>>
>>1537220
To be fair, WCW had a plethora of talent and potential. It was just their main event/heavyweight scene was such awfully booked garbage that they could never truly cement 1st place.
>>
>>1537246
They also never had a storyline as good as Austin vs McMahon.
>>
>>1537268
Sting vs nWo

too bad the payoff SUCKED
>>
>>1537268
18+
>>
>>1537269
Nah. Austin vs McMahon had way more universal appeal and characters. nWo/WCW is tied specifically to wrestling and wrestling history. It's not the same.
>>
>>1537284
So? If they didn't botch Starrcade 97's ending then they had a good chance of keeping the winning streak going

They killed all their momentum with one night
>>
Every
Thing
>>
>>1537290
So...I'm saying the storyline wasn't as interesting to viewers. Austin/McMahon is the hottest angle of all time.
>>
Let's Goldberg run was too long and should have been killed it couldn't compete with Austin McMahon.

Everything went completely downhill with "the to be" Russo angle. It reminds me of today's triple hhh "best for business" same shit angle that doesn't get over.

What wcw also had was a sense of realism people getting mad throwing beer cans and food in the ring.
>>
>>1537295
>I'm saying the storyline wasn't as interesting to viewers.

Are you kidding? Yes it was. It was a perfectly booked angle up until the payoff

>Starrcade drew a buy rate of 1.9, the best WCW ever achieved
>>
>>1537299
Powers to be angle
>>
WCWs best booking was also their simplest. Book Goldberg to kill everyone. It was believable and for a year or so, he was on the same level as Austin (NOT talent wise). It worked a charm until Nash's ego fucked it up.
>>
>>1536477
Everything
>>
>>1537306
Then why did the building pop when he won?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu1VBP4kVGY#t=2m55
>>
>>1537301
Austin/McMahon drew the best wrestling TV ratings of all time. This is a fact. Sorry.
>>
>>1537306
stupid fag, everyone wanted nash to win

18+
>>
>>1537310
And this was AFTER WCW killed their momentum by botching the payoff of Hogan/Sting
>>
>>1537311
>>1537309
Notice how nobody said nobody wanted it, but even then it still remains one of the catalysts of WCW's fall.
>>
>>1537313
So? All actual evidence points to WWF having the best angle ever. Whatever you think could have happened in WCW really doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>1537317
Your post was "as good as"

Sting/nWo was on the level of Austin/McMahon. When both of those angles were occurring, the other company was getting shit on in the ratings. Never said it was better
>>
>>1537319
Except they aren't on the same level, because one had much higher ratings. They weren't happening at exactly the same time.

How are you not comprehending that one objectively had much higher ratings?
>>
>>1537309
Because there was always Nash and NWO fans? Not denying people wanted Nash to win, it's just once the streak ended WCW lost their only nuclear headliner to rival Austin and newly emerging Rock. His star power took a bit of a dent with the loss.
>>1537311
Just lol mate.
>>
>>1537315
Maybe Nash ending the streak was, but not the streak ending itself.

DDP should have beat him at HH98
>>
>>1537328
People were cheering DDP hit the diamond cutter on him two months before

>>1537327
see
>>1537313

Wrestling itself peaked in 1999. WCW was getting 5.0's at the same time WWF got 5.5s, of course they got higher ratings. It was both companies most profitable angle, how wouldn't they be on the same level?
>>
>>1537341
It is not on the same level because one company had higher ratings than the other. HOW IS THIS NOT MAKING SENSE TO YOU?
>>
>>1537330
I agree, DDP was hot at the time and might have been the star they needed to rival the WWE, but of course the old guy's egos got in the way and any semi decent rub had to go the N.W.O. and their preferred Bois way. They shat up the main event scene hard. Guys like Booker shouldn't have had to wait until it was dead in the water to get their pushes.
>>
>>1537350
>Reading comprehension

Wrestling as a whole peaked in 1999, WCW was getting higher ratings then than they did when nWo/Sting was going on. By your logic the finger poke of doom was a better angle than nWo/Sting, because it popped a higher rating

>>1537352
DDP was based, shame Taker buried him in WWE
>>
>>1537341
DDP was popular as fuck. Of course he'd get cheered. Obviously Goldberg's streak had to end eventually, but until that point his booking had been excellent, hiding his weaknesses with good workers.
It just seems that after that match his star power suffered.
>>
When I stopped watching WCW they had the Wolfpac and black and white with all the big guys still there. I came back after a while and the whole group was just... Gone. The roster was full of boy band rejects and no-talent bodybuilding models.

Where did they go? I mean the big three, sting, luger, macho, etc... There had to be some kind of explanation.
>>
>>1537366
If he was getting cheers for either losing or potentially losing in PPV main events, how could you keep it going?

Streak ran it's course by then, Nash maybe wasn't the right person to end it but someone definitely had to. If they gave the rub to someone else besides Nash, that would have been their new star and they would have never had to worry about Goldberg.

Also, I don't think Goldberg ever got his revenge on Nash. That was another problem, his next two PPV matches were against Scott Hall & Bam Bam
>>
>>1537367
vince russo fucked shit up
>>
>>1537367
Sting, Nash and Luger were there until the end
Mach got old and retired, most notable moment was probably holding the belt for a day and dropping it to Hogan
Hall was too fucked up to do anything
Hogan quit after BATB2000
>>
>>1537359
Yeah, shame everyone got buried for their crimes of being on the other show. That weird loyalty shit was retarded, I was a shill to end all shills at the time but looking back it's sad to see how many guys with talent didn't even get a chance to get in decent offense in most matches, let alone look good.
>>
>>1537370
I always felt the inevitable first loss shold have been at Starrcade, against someone who realistically could have beat him, like Scott Steiner. The absolute war the two had at Fall Brawl a year or so later would have been ideal, minus the screwy finish.
That or a fresh face to give the rub.
>>
File: 1426864894256.gif (579KB, 320x229px) Image search: [Google]
1426864894256.gif
579KB, 320x229px
>>1537381
>Don't look into the hard camera Buff
>Dammit Bagwell I told you not to connect with the fans
>No showboating
>Alright, that's great. We'll get back to your mother
>>
>>1537381
The invasion angle was such a cock up. Even without the WCW headliners, there was enough talent with the likes of Booker, Rhino, RVD, Lance Storm, DDP and Jindrak and O'Haire, that booked sensibly would have printed money.
>>
>>1537398
Daily reminder they brought Flair in the night after the angle ended
>>
File: Bagwell-5-2.png (241KB, 433x490px) Image search: [Google]
Bagwell-5-2.png
241KB, 433x490px
>>1537391
Why was he so fucking based? he would have been multiple world champion if he was only in WWE
>>
File: 1455591577268.jpg (99KB, 500x737px) Image search: [Google]
1455591577268.jpg
99KB, 500x737px
>>1537401
Buff was the most relaxed roid freak on the roster, it was crazy, and his angle as Steiner's cooler was great
>>
>>1537399
Exactly. How they managed to fuck up the easiest guaranteed money making feud in history is beyond me. Even Heyman's amazing promos couldn't save it.
>>
>>1537398
Basically making it WWF guys vs WWF guys with alliances scribbled over their WWF logos really is when I started to realize they had fucked it all up. Even in shillovision I could still figure that Stone Cold being the head of the alliance is as appropriate as senator McCarthy being the spokesperson for communism.

It could have been G.O.A.T. if Vince could have resisted the urge to gloat.

The only good thing from that was RVD vs Jeff.
>>
>>1537398
>Lance Storm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KhsH4zRAU8
>>
>>1537412
Lance proved to be a boring man when he was on Steve's podcast. Lance has zero interests outside of wrestling. All the guy does is watch pro wrestling and train wrestlers
>>
>>1537205
You mean recognizable today wrestlers or old wrestlers
the only home growns I can think off right now for today are Cena and Roman
And Roman will probably never be recognizable
>>
>>1537412
Shit on Storm all you want, but back in 2000 Lance Storm was one of the best things in ECW and then WCW.
>>
Sting is the correct answer, btw
>>
>>1537166
Im talking about the grappling mechanics of the game.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.