[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eternal HEMA General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

File: hema3.jpg (224KB, 1024x683px)
hema3.jpg
224KB, 1024x683px
Historical European Martial Arts Thread
Please keep it kind and on topic. Also no SCA/Reenactment/HMB please.

Essential Information:

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=619536
http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.hroarr.com/
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php
>>
File: cutting.jpg (141KB, 611x661px)
cutting.jpg
141KB, 611x661px
Anyone got experience with cutting? Are there good manuals to learn the correct technique?
>>
>>1512992
I once cut my finger while sharpening a knife, does it count?
>>
>>1513362
Depends, if you cut it with a sword, and the finger was clean off without any tearing, then yes.
>>
Where do I find material for the very basics of Ringen and Scheibendolch?
In my club we're doing 95% Langes Schwert
>>
As much as you guys are a bunch of fucking dorks, Olympic fencing would be MUCH more fun to watch if they used claymores and shit instead of the stupid, absurdly flexible foils and other shit that could barely pass as a weapon.
>>
>>1513985
I guess HEMA is on the rise anyway, in 15 years or so we could see some historical fencing in the Olympics (which would completely wreck HEMA)
>>
>>1513965
Ringen: Auerswald would be a common source. learn to break fall first, thought.
Dagger: Liegnitzer seems to be quite poppular, met a fiew people so far who trained his plays
>>
>>1514022
>Auerswald
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQQsHKtC5Sg
Fucking kek, that's great!
Also thanks, I'm gonna look into it
>>
Any word on HEMA groups in Munich?

I'm a construction worker here (immigrant) and am looking for something to do after work so i don't bore my self to death.
Mainly looking to learn how to fight with a quarterstaff/spear and freshen up my history knowledge.
>>
>>1513985
To be fair, foils were never thought as weapons but safe practice tools, even in the 1600's; sabres is what you get when you foilify singlesticks; Epee now...
>>
>>1514045
>putting Bill Grandy's ringen
>not their lethal combat vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTtGaFz8s74
>>
>>1514046
dunno about what weapons they train, but there is a club called Ochs München. you could try there. those that i've met so far were cool guys
>>
>>1514177
Hey, maybe that's how we get the wrasslefags interested...
>>
File: tumblr_nwy7yaIVjN1tu4sg3o1_500.png (452KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwy7yaIVjN1tu4sg3o1_500.png
452KB, 500x420px
>>1514834
And now, entering the ring, with three duels to the death under his belt, the Italian Stallion with Swabian SWAG

FiorEEE
-DEI-
LibEEEERRIII!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E
>>
>>1519182
>most badass fencer ever
>master of everything*
>his name is "flower"

*except sword & buckler, damn it
>>
>>1520089
At least it's not like the MS3227a who is baiting like hell...
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Nuremberg_Hausbuch_(MS_3227a)
>>
>>1514046
Ochs is gold, excellent club, albeit quarterstaff is still rather uncommon in HEMA.
>>
>>1520209
It hurts everytime
>>
Is it white trash mating season again or why is the board flooded (more than usual) with spandex opera?
>>
>>1521503
>white trash mating season

That's weird, your mom hasn't called me.
>>
>>1514045
Ringen im Grüblein is a lot of fun once you have the basic techniques down
>>
>>1521503
They're doing it every monday, I think there was some change or event on their show and they've got their panties in a bunch
>>
>>1520325
>>1514182
Thanks for the tip. Will try to join them on Friday if I don't get blown up by a terrorist.

Are polearms really that ignored in favour of swords?
>>
>>1522769
Not ignored, it is just hard to realistically train without too many injuries, polearms got to much oomph for regular HEMA. Afaik Roger Norling does a lot based on Meyers treatises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVODxKSJ2Zk
>>
Anyone know of any groups in the east of England (Northants, Beds and Bucks)?
Preferably somewhere that does more than just longsword.
>>
>>1522931
Define realistic training, its hard to spar with them yes but that doesn't mean you cant have realistic training
>>
>>1514022
>>1514177
>>1522165
'Ott Jud', 'von Auerswald' or both?
What's the difference between those two?
>>
>>1523755

A single mid force blow will either concuss you or break some of your bones if you do not pay attention. Thats a bit to much for regular training.

>>1526987
>What's the difference between those two?
about 80 years of time, plus von Auerswals had his treaties illustrated by Lucas Cranach.
>>
>>1527343
The illustrations are really helpful that's true.
So basically it's not that much of a difference except that von Auerswald is easier to get into?
>>
lads
for the first time in my life I'm in a city where there are HEMA shools, but I will leave in a few weeks. The schools are pretty far and I have to work and no car, so I was not able to train. Is there anyway I can get something out of those schools with few visits? I have previous experience with other martial arts, including a little bit of olympic saber.
>>
>>1527343
What stops you of doing up to full speed drills and actually paying attention. Historically, many of those weapons were trained only with solo or opposing drills anyway.
>>
>>1527521
>What stops you of doing up to full speed drills and actually paying attention
The odd hit to the hand every few hundred repetitions, the trip to the ER that follows to that and 5 weeks of having your hand in a plaster. There are only some dedicated groups that do train polearms in detail, and theres a good reason for this.
>>
>>1522931
even with gear?
>>
>>1527603
From the jsa thread in that regard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3F6zEvoHFU

I don't really see how the issue is any different of training with steel blunts but then.
>>
>>1527620
Steel blunts with adequate protection (i assume we're talking longsword or smaller here) do not give people vacations that often.

The force of a longer and usually tip heavy lever shouldn't be underestimated.

JSA can get away with not hitting each other much more easily with their living tradition, we're much more reliant on sparring feedback.
>>
>>1527681
>The force of a longer and usually tip heavy lever shouldn't be underestimated.
Staves should still be sorta ok, Meyer's staff was mentioned. Stuff like poleaxes are obviously different beasts entirely and there I would completely agree.

And as stated here>>1522931 I don't really see how training drills (as an example) isn't realistic (enough), since it was the way they were trained. Same issue with large two-handed swords, which seems to be much more drill-oriented weapons (rules of montante and the likes).
>>
>>1527708
The trouble is that while we can do those drills, testing the skills acquired from them is pretty hard since we can't do fully free sparring.

I'm of course not saying that people shouldn't bother or that it has no value. If you have the interest, time, and resources then by all means go for it.
>>
>>1527375
Yeah, a few hours of class should teach you the basics you would need in order to study and use techniques from the manuals on your own.
>>
>>1529019
>a few hours of class should teach you the basics
the very basics?
>>
Can the guy who finished the last thread by saying he took easton's lesson at longpoint and he was a goofball finish his story? What did he do?
>>
>>1531728
Curious for some feedback Matt?
>>
You may remember me from such posts as, "My Girlfriend Thinks I'm a LARPing Dweeb" and "I Practice HEMA in Secret".

Well, the girlfriend has come to terms with it. She's not ecstatic about it, but as long as I don't ignore other aspects of my life for "sword fighting" as she calls it, then she's okay with it. She even likes the way my sweaty hair and face looks after class.

>Feels good man.
>>
>>1532362
I remember you and I'm happy for you it got better
>>
>>1532362
I missed your original posts. Are you US or EU? I always assumed the european women would be much more okay with hema.
>>
Has anyone bought this thing? I feel like I remember the smith posting on here once. I think there was a conversation about flex and concerns for safety in that regard...but I have a hard time arguing with the relative cost compared to other options.

Okay 4chan keeps saying my link is spam. It's the made-to-order munitions grade feder on etsy.
>>
>>1533263
Yep, US. Funny thing is that she's almost a complete weeb. She'd rather have me sit at home watching anime than actually doing something. But I love her.

I swear, she'll get into it one day. She's never actually seen HEMA and refuses to watch any tournament videos or that intro documentary.
>>
>>1534103
>never actually seen HEMA and refuses to watch any tournament videos or that intro documentary.
>yet thinks HEMA is stupid
>while being weeb
Sounds like a horrible person to be pretty much quite frankly honest with you. You should force her to learn Elementary Logic and probably Critical Thinking as well.
>>
File: 1423410721969.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1423410721969.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>1534103
>Funny thing is that she's almost a complete weeb. She'd rather have me sit at home watching anime than actually doing something
Show her some clips from Virgin Witch Maria and tell her this is the kind of fencing you do.

Just don't actually want it, since there aren't enough fight scenes compared to amount of typical anime fanservice and Christ allegories. I mean, it's not that bad, but all I saw were the .webms and I expected the series to be like that.
>>
>>1534103
>refuses to spend a few minutes to see something about her boyfriend's hobby
What a lovely lady
>>
File: eastonxmas.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
eastonxmas.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>1531728
>>1531837
Seriously man, don't be so self conscious about it. A little goofiness is endearing.
Your--I mean *his* class was great, but I saw him just kinda around rest of the weekend and the silliness that comes out sometimes on the videos was definitely there. I wasn't sure how much of that stuff was put on, so I figured it was worth mentioning for anyone else who might be similarly curious.
>>
>>1534341
So he danced around with a falschion on his shoulder over the weekend?
>>
>>1533280
>https://www.etsy.com/listing/271083980/made-to-order-munitions-grade-fechtfeder

Why is 4chan being a dick to me today
>>
>>1534690
I haven't but I've heard good things. They're essentially good feders that are just left unfinished. Really in the spirit of what a waster should be.

Should probably consider getting one myself.
>>
>>1534341
I always assumed he was very serious. What sort of stuff?
Did you shake his hand and tell him you're from 4chan?
>>
>>1534341
Wtf where was this? Was skallagrim there too? What was it like meeting a YouTube persona?
>>
>>1534629
>>1535148
>>1535152
Holy fuck, people; do you really care that much about some internet "celebrity"? He made some cheesy jokes and got overly excited about obscure, niche-y stuff, just like most of the people here probably do, too.

>>1535148
>implying I want to be associated with a Senegalese paper mache crafts message board

>>1535152
It was Longpoint, not some fucking youtube meetup.

And for something to make this halfway relevant, does anyone have suggestions for what to use for quarterstaff? As in, do I need a proper staff like the ones Purpleheart sells, or can I just grab a big dowel from the hardware store and use that?
>>
>>1536107
>Goes to international event full of world leading HEMA instructors and experienced practitioners.

>>Chooses to ask HEMA question to dweebs on 4chin instead.

You're that nerd who goes to these things and just stands there smiling hoping someone will talk to him, right?
>>
>>1536107
Rattan for more free sparring, a proper staff for practice. The hardware store might or might not have something appropriate.
>>
>>1538265
I would reccommend a hard wood for any staff, spearshaft or wooden weapon

http://www.zaimoku.org/

This website contains lists of woods suitable for high impact weapons practice, and their properties
>>
File: creatine.png (44KB, 1348x289px) Image search: [Google]
creatine.png
44KB, 1348x289px
Is this thread for Olympic fencing as well? Just wondering
>>
>>1538265
>>1538650
Thanks for the input; I sorta figured hardwood would be the better bet.

>>1539286
Eh, not really. Some people here have done it in the past, but we're probably not a great resource for it.

>>1538003
The fuck? None of the classes I took were on staff/spear, and the few people I know (of) that do it weren't free when I was. Half the reason I come to this thread is so I can ask stuff I don't have a chance to elsewhere.
>>
>>1539580
Its actually kind of hard to find a wood suitable for good polearm practice weapons. To hard and it tends to shatter, to soft and it will dent or break. And while there are a great number of woods suitable, they're availability tends to be limited, especially for longer pieces
>>
>>1539286
>pic
Can someone explain the fuck is this about?
>>
>>1540183
Looks like /fit/ memery on a different site, but I don't go there often enough to say for sure.
>>
File: Arino3.jpg (77KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Arino3.jpg
77KB, 720x400px
>first session back after a 4-5 week break from hema
>i'm apparently fucking awful now
This is painful.
>>
>live in the middle of Europe
>want to do HEMA but there are no fucking clubs for it at all, it's all just Kenjutsu and it's different sub styles
>Katanas can be bought fucking everywhere but European weaponry is only available on online stores that look like they were built with frontpage and have maybe one or two lines of description for each product which doesn't even mention if the sword can be used for training, if it's sharp or if it's decoration
Suffering.
>>
>>1541112
Start one.

Where are you exactly?
>>
>>1541128
>Where are you exactly?

Western Germany.
>>
>>1541130
http://www.communitywalk.com/Central-Europe

Do you live in the mountains?
>>
So, do you guys ever fight full contact ?
>>
>>1540738
had to take a break for surgery, i know this feel.
>>
>>1541749
did once. Cleaning blood is to annoying to bother with this shit.
>>
>>1543213
You mean with sharps? like duel to first blood or something?
>>
>>1541749
Are you baiting?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.