[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/grappling general/ - IT'S WRESTLING SEASON EDITION

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 275
Thread images: 35

File: 252751.jpg (9KB, 250x161px) Image search: [Google]
252751.jpg
9KB, 250x161px
Has wrestling season started up for everyone else? Judo Coach, have you started practices yet?

It's really hard adjusting to the rules of folkstyle again after so many months away. Keep giving up my back easy on takedowns because of the instinct to turn into people.

What are you guys working on lately? I've been working on daisychaining off of collar choke -> arm bar -> ??? lately, and having a lot of success.
>>
Wrestling doesn't start until October for me but I have off season tournaments the next two weeks. I got to weigh in tonight before my matches so it's nice to be able to stuff my face.
>>
>>1499573
OK, seasonal matches haven't started, but training has, where I'm at.
>>
File: future MMA propsects.jpg (90KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
future MMA propsects.jpg
90KB, 960x768px
>>1498896
Preseason is still going on my main athletes are doing judo, or wrestling with their own clubs, we won't start season training till late september and that will be at the judo dojo,

Right now just enjoying the last bits of summer vacation and getting stuff slowly ready for new school year.

In terms of training been working harai goshi more and koshi jime/clock choke

Getting exciting for the Olympics, always interesting to think that possible judoka and wrestlers participating in these games might someday be impact players in MMA.
>>
>>1498896

How do you gauge progress in wrestling? Do you get a ribbon of some kind?
>>
>>1499861
there is no ranking in wrestling to gauge progress unlike other martial art styles that use belts., For serious athletes various wrestling orgs, like USA wrestling will keep track of your win lost record and this effects your year to year seeding. we are talking about athletes will train as kids. For these athlethes they want to build the habits and mometum of a postive win record for college.

Being in the top 8 for your win/lose records in college will award you an All American status, which is rather prestigious. So hearing someone who is All American 4x in college means they were always in the top 8 in the nation., 3x all american top 8 for three years, so on and so forth .
Going back to the HS level
Within school districts, and cities and states you will see some schools and clubs award athletes safety pins to attach to their shoes or sweaters to signify wins by pin.. Awarding athletes who have stayed with the program all season with good GPA, compete in at least 8 tourney matches, and shown basic understanding of wrestling technique gets them eligible to be awarded their Varsity Letter.
>>
File: git gud.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
git gud.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>1499861
>How do you gauge progress in wrestling? Do you get a ribbon of some kind?
>>
>>1498896
I started bjj a week ago. There's so much information to absorb and look at online and in class. What should I focus on in my first year?
>>
>>1500103
Oi, how were the first classes?
Going to get my ass to bjj in a few weeks after my injuries are taken care of.
>>
>>1500103
Focus on what the instructor tells you to.
>>
>>1499861
Blood sweat tears pins technical victories podium presentations

The feeling of someone submitting to your power under you.

That's your gauge faggot.
>>
>>1499855
I wonder if any of them will ever bother transitioning to MMA. Someone like Burroughs seems like the type to wrestle as long as he can and never really make the jump to MMA. I get that they're the toughest, most competitive athletes out there but I feel like the benefit of competing in pro MMA is no greater than wrestling at a top level.
>>
Wrestling is gay
>>
Just had my knee replaced,
Don't want to give up wrestling.
What style should I do?
>done freestyle with focus on folk for eights years
>>
>>1500539
Uh maybe talk to a doctor and your coaches before you do anything. That sounds like it'll be a while before you're allowed to do anything remotely physical, let alone wrestle.
>>
>>1500103
Just try to drink it in. You're going to get shot with a firehouse in the face, just try to breathe deep and take as much of it in as you can.
>>
>>1501854
Sounds like my ex-gf ;)
>>
Lads why is grappling so fun?
>>
>>1503345
Because its instilled into every animal by default,
Dogs grapple, Cats grapple, bears and kangaroos grapple, its one of the most primal and fun ways to let out aggression and powe

Why couldn't the chinese copy grapples instead of stupid insects and cranes for bullshit strikes that dont work?
>>
>>1503345
because it's skill based, exhausting, and the chances of actually getting hurt are pretty low, same reasons people play basketball
>>1503383
>why couldn't the chinese copy grapples
they did, stop trying to rile people up with cheap bait
>>
>>1503345
Combines depth with immediate 'playability'. There's so much more to learn in grappling than in striking, but at the same time, I can get two guys to really go at it their first day there.
>>
Anyone got good recs for kneepads?
>>
>>1503345
you get to be aggressive but without having to get your face punched in return maybe? and it satiates my autistic need to be meticulous.
>>
File: 1459347438685.gif (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1459347438685.gif
2MB, 640x480px
>tfw trying to decide between two gyms
>tfw the only thing I got from /asp/ is that they're both good so I'd be fine with either one
>>
>>1506201
What are the gyms? Hurry up and choose bitch you're not getting any younger
>>
>>1506752
http://www.warriorway.com
http://www.detroitjiujitsu.com
www.michigantt.com
>>
>>1507948
If I was choosing from those three, I would choose warrior way because a belt from them would likely be recognized by any other dojo world wide.

As for the bjj for fitness, fuck those guys.
>>
>>1507948
>http://www.detroitjiujitsu.com
>Michigan's winningest BJJ School
>Winningest
>>
>>1499855
I think some of them might transition into other grappling tournaments, Travis Stevens is pretty big into BJJ, how long before he tests himself at Polaris/Metamoris/EBI?
>>
>>1498896
My back is finally starting to feel human, so I'm back into tachi waza randori, after the last 3 months of nothing but ne waza it feels good to see that I can still have a decent fight and not get steam rollered by anyone.
>>
>>1500103
surviving, escaping, breathing, knowing the correct defensive postures, and learning to get comfortable with discomfort.
>>
I'm kind of interested into getting into amateur wrestling but I'm not sure what kind of thing I should look for. Is there any easy indicators of what to avoid like there is with martial arts dojos etc? I'm in the UK currently, anyone know of any places that are considered highly?
>>
>>1513058
Where are you in the UK? I believe there's a wrestling place in Bedford that has a decent name, I've fought some of their guys in Judo comps and found them to be of a pretty high level, unfortunately wrestling is pretty rare in the UK though.
>>
>>1513542
Are there opportunities to wrestle at an older age outside of the US?
>>
upa
>>
>>1513058
>Aviod
Gyms that claim "Scientific Wrestling" or "English Catch-as-Catch-Can".
Anything that claim to be hipster, fedora-tipping, mug heritage bullshit.
>Right up there with Bartitsu and m'lady folk wrestling
>>
>>1519113
isnt folk wrestling what they teach in highschools?
>>
>>1514971
Maybe if you live in a large city, but even then you may only have a choice of one or two places.

Honestly, I'd recommend Judo and/or BJJ for your grappling needs instead.
>>
>>1519113
Folk wrestling is what they teach in schools you fucking dipshit
>>1520651
Eh I don't think that either of those teach what wrestling teaches
>>
I can't do it anymore boys, see you in a few months. /asp/ is ruined
>>
>>1520651
>>1521693
Take this with a grain of salt, since I only ever trained at one place, but when I did No-gi BJJ one of the first things I was taught were basic wrestling takedowns and variations on them.
>>
Think I'm gonna go full retard and start a martial art despite being massively out of shape.
>>
Up
>>
>>1523662
That's exactly the right idea
>>
>>1526250
Hey man, what doesn't kill me, will probably feel like its going to.
>>
>>1521927
stay strong man.
>>
>>1500539
BJJ is probably the safest, but that's my relatively novice opinion. Less about takedowns and more about matwork
>>
>>1521693
>Eh I don't think that either of those teach what wrestling teaches
Takedowns and pins? Of course they do. Just to a different ruleset.
>>
>>1498896
Doesn't start til September for me
>>
>>1500539
BJJ
>>
So I know BJJ has a focus on smaller opponents taking on larger guys
But does that mean if I'm a big guy (uuuu) that's reasonably tall with long arms would be at a disadvantage if I were to try and compete in or learn the sport?
>>
>>1530813
duh
its a meme style for meme people
get this fag shit off of wrestling board
Whats your opinion on RVD?
>>
>>1530826
Ty for the bump
>>
>>1530813
No, you'd fight in your own weight class against opponents of a similar ability to you.

Where you might struggle is if you're the tallest and heaviest at your gym, and you end up replacing technique with strength because it works against smaller guys.
>>
>>1530813
You'd be at an advantage compared to those CIA guys

t. big guy 4 u
>>
>>1500103
Hello dear anon. I have around 1.5 years of experience in jiu jitsu. To start off I would recommend learning the basics of the most common positions, also focusing on learning how to pass properly, no submission is useful if you can't get on a good position where you can control your opponent.
>>
>>1498896
anybody have some good off season lifting programs?
>>
>>1527356
Wrestling teaches you far more than takedowns and pins. The element of the scramble is probably the most important aspect of the sport, so the top pressure/control from top of wrestling is significantly more emphasized than BJJ or Judo. I'd say that developing your "hips," where a good wrestler can determine whether or not the fight is going to the ground, is something that BJJ and Judo don't work on as well. Lastly, I think that wrestling has practices that are simply harder, but that is heavily contingent on where you're training. I know there are gyms for BJJ/Judo at high levels that have extremely difficult sessions, but it seems like the conditioning of wrestling is present in nearly every program. My point is that I wouldn't advise someone who wants to learn wrestling to just learn BJJ and Judo, as if that will simulate or replicate the benefits of wrestling. It simply won't because you do not learn wrestling without wrestling. It goes both ways, because I don't think that a good wrestler who wants to learn Judo or BJJ will just be able to suffice off of his wrestling skills alone. There is no substitute for the art itself.
>>1535012
Ask your coach or go to Sherdog.
>>
I'm 21 and want to start wrestling, but there're no MMA gyms within an hour of my house. What do?
>>
>>1536243
You can find an alternative grappling place
>>
>>1498896
>>
>>1530813
well you have the reach advantage.
>>
>>1536519
But I don't wanna
>>
So what defines grappling exactly?
And what is the goal of a typical grappling match?

Because I"m sure the kind of grappling that takes place between two friends in the backyard is different than on the mat or in a competition, right?
>>
>>1537523
discussion in grappling threads are generally centered around grappling martial arts, such as wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu and sambo. Any fight that is focused on takedowns and submissions with minimal striking could be considered a grappling match
>>
>>1536243
Does your college have a club team?
>>
My uni's got a wrassling program, how do I git gud in preparation?
>>
>>1538198
Wrestle in high school and make the team
>>
>>1536243
Take up a different hobby. Living in the middle of fucking nowhere sucks doesn't it?
>>
Can one of the anons with more experience, preferably Judo Coach help me with the rules of Folkstyle?

I've been a little worried since I found out I spent the first few weeks doing illegal body triangles.

Anything I should know about footblock/sweeps? I'm eager to apply Ashiwaza while wrestling, but whenever I apply something no one is doing, I worry if it's legal.
>>
>>1541847
Footblocks and sweeps are legal in folk style as long as you dont do it from certain holds.

in terms of illegal holds, in folk style bear hugging and or body locking without an arm in will get you a foul. (which is why bear hugging and body locking are huge in greco and free style because there isn't a rule against it) its considered locked hands and you will see a lot of beginners get called on it from ref top position

also watch out fo your chicken wings/ figure fouring arms if you go above 90 degrees, the ref will call a foul on you.

Also just remember about false starting too, when being on top of ref position, most refs should give you 2 verbal warnings, but if you keep false starting (moving before the whistle blows) you get a foul called on you and the opponent scores a point
>>
File: ashi waza wrestling.gif (657KB, 320x182px) Image search: [Google]
ashi waza wrestling.gif
657KB, 320x182px
>>1542664
>>
>>1542664
>as you dont do it from certain holds.
Which holds are these? Can I do it from a standard Collar and Elbow position?

> in folk style bear hugging and or body locking without an arm in will get you a foul
Wait, so if I have an arm in, it's OK? Does that include a body triangle?

>also watch out fo your chicken wings/ figure fouring arms if you go above 90 degrees
Thank you for that. My policy on Chicken Wings has been, 'don't crank that' but I'm glad to know there's a benchmark to look for.
>>
File: greco.jpg (91KB, 321x410px) Image search: [Google]
greco.jpg
91KB, 321x410px
>>1543502
Collar and elbow grip are valid for foot sweeps, really any clinch is valid. again illegal would be body locking or bear hugging, when you lock your arms but the arm is not trapped refer to this pic

In greco though, body locking and bear hugging are legal (which is how greco developed such depth of knowledge and technique of upper body takedowns, is because of that rule and folk style developed such depth of knowledge and technique with lower leg attacks because of their gripping rules)
>>
>>1543952
>tfw I can practice but never compete.
>>
>>1543502
Answering your second question at the HS and college level any body triangle will be consider a foul. Pretty controversial with a lot of people because before 2009 it was technically legal. They changed the rules because it was against the spirit of the sport, those are USA Wrestling words not mine, they view body triangles/figure four locks as stalling and
>>
File: chicken wing.jpg (11KB, 210x154px) Image search: [Google]
chicken wing.jpg
11KB, 210x154px
>>1543502
One last thing Goblin, just to make clear chicken wings in wrestling are a tad different in the context of folk style then sub grappling/judo/jitz.

In a wrestling context you will see athletes use the chicken wing from on top of ref's position as a tilt, there are no subs, but you still inflict a lot of pain an damage to the shoulder and elbow, so the ref will watch top player, to see if they torque the arm above 90 degree So you can bend the arm to 90 degrees, but squeezing it will result in the ref warning or penalizing you

Picture related chicken wing from ref position
>>
File: cross face tilt.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cross face tilt.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1543957
honestly if you're just practicing and you just tell your training partners and coach a heads up that you're going to do certain groups they be more then willing to work with you through that during randori etc.

I was under the assumption you were competing
>>
>>1543973
Wait, I'm completely confused what 90 degrees is in relation to now.

I was understanding that, once behind the back, the arm can't be raised beyond 90 degrees (which I realize is now LESS than 90 degrees) horizontal across the back.

It's 90 degrees at the shoulder?
>>
>>1543978
Nah, I'm way too old for that. But my gym has a deal with the local high school gym: we have a better gym than their highschool, so we let them train wrestling here. In exchange, they let students jump in on their classes.

I want to respect their space and conform to their training standards as much as possible. They got meets to get ready for, and I'd hate to distract or change their training.

Plus, the opportunity to do pure folkstyle is great. It's a beautiful sport, and I'm eager to enjoy it on it's own terms, rather than a tool for MMA.
>>
>>1543985
oh man my bad didnt mean to confuse you. but i think what you're interpreting is what i am trying to say.

Its 90 degrees at the shoulder, which technically means it would be less then 90 for the submission to inflict damage, so as long as you make a reverse "L" with uke's arm and don't make the bottom part of the L (their forearm, elbow, wrist) a close angle, it is legal

Is that a tad more clear?
>>
>>1543978
meant grips instead of groups should probably go to sleep if i'm derping this much

>>1543993
its a fun sport and i'll give you props for diving deep and trying to learn the sport completely, i honestly think more people should embrace that mentality, even with certain rule restrictions, having yourself develop your technique with rules makes you more refine, because it forces you to move and think in new creative ways and then once done you can add that to the greater sub set of your moves

Like technically this move Cain is doing would be ban in folk style but is used a lot in freestyle and you can use it all you want in MMA, but Cain developed a lot of his mat work skills and habits on the mat in folk, so it just comes sort of full circle that he relies on wrestling mat work in a MMA context,
>>
File: ouchi gari to body lock.gif (2MB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
ouchi gari to body lock.gif
2MB, 500x307px
>>1544007
thinking about it when Cain was doing folk the figure four rule wasn't a thing yet, this has been a new rule rolled out in the last few years.
>>
>>1544014
and and the gif above, you see the ouchi gari, there was an arm in/wrapped so that's a legal folk style grip, so when he completes the body lock takedown because uke's arm is still in the takedown is legal. if no warm illegal
>>
File: gbjj.jpg (33KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
gbjj.jpg
33KB, 620x412px
Tried both BJJ and Judo a while back and loved them, but couldn't do more than a few classes as I had to move for work.

Realised there's a Gracie Barra BJJ club fairly near where I live- seems to get decent reviews online.

What's /grap/'s thoughts on Gracie Barra in general? Are they good or are they just the corporate face of BJJ?
>>
Approximately how long should it take me to go from white belt to blue in BJJ?
>>
>>1499836
Training never stops to begin with if you do offseason.
>>
>>1544605
Usually about two years. There can be huge amounts of variation depending on where you're going and what you're doing. I do only no-gi so I don't have a belt after three years.
>>
please have sex
this is gay shit
>>
File: pepe.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
51KB, 657x527px
>be 5' 4" manlet
>go to BJJ
>legs aren't long enough to wrap around literally anyone in the class to form a guard
>instructor trying to give me tips but I still can't do it
>he is getting visibly frustrated
>asks me to start sitting out from rolling drills
>I paid $7 for this
>>
>>1547145
Get into a striking art like TKD or Karate. Grappling with very short limbs sucks ass unless you started young or are bear mode.
>>
>>1547175
>get into striking
>short af arms + short af legs
>get rekt because lolnoreach
>>
>>1547190
Then get inside their reach or stop wasting mat time
>>
>>1498896
I've been working on better weight distribution. It's amazing how far it can get you.
>>
>>1544546
Lots of bjjers get wrapped up in lineage, and my advice is don't do that.

A dojo is only as good as the instructor. Try them out, and if you are learning and progressing, then it is good.
>>
>>1549659
Lineage is important because it's still a valid quality control metric in BJJ. I can trace my instructor's lineage 1 degree back to Henzo Gracie. I can trace it 3 degrees back to Helios Gracie. Both of these people are still alive. This is extra important because there's been a massive explosion in BJJ since UFC 1. If you have 6 or seven degrees of separation from Helios, that tells you, among other things, that you're learning from a master who was certified very quickly, by a master who was certified very quickly, by a master who was certified very quickly, etc.

A dojo is only as good as the instructor, but someone who's just starting out is rarely positioned to judge instructors.
>>
>>
>>1547145
Don't go back, go to a real gym. Guard is mostly obsolete anyway, but your problem is most likely flexibility. Even if you can never get closed guard, a good coach will teach you open and butterfly guard which are way more useful and aggressive than closed guard.
>>
>>1550496
My trainer is 1 degree from Rickson, and it shows. Like you said, I would be very careful about any "black belt" with more than three degrees of separation from one of the original Brazilians, although not necessarily the Gracie family.
>>
>>1550667
butterfly is the go to for people with short limps anyway, or working half or a knee block
>>
>>1550700
I'm a lanklet so my go to is rubber guard. Every time I try butterfly it gets passed like it's nothing, just way too much space.
>>
File: 1457118744787.png (191KB, 410x409px) Image search: [Google]
1457118744787.png
191KB, 410x409px
So with this lineage discussion
I'm kind of worried. My dojo hands off those ready to go to black belt to Caique, however by the time I'd get mine he would be about 78
What if he's not alive or able to at that point? What would I do then?
>>
>>1550746
Train.
>>
>>1550714
Rubber guard damages your knees over time an long use
>>
>>1550700
>>1550714
Weird, I'm a lanklet and I love butterfly. Easier to poke your feet in.

>>1550746
I mean, that's a long way away, which is the very thing you're worried about. A lot can happen in 20 years. Who knows where your instructor will be in 20 years? Who knows where you will be?

That's pretty typical though, one way or another. Most instructors will hand things off to their masters for a blackbelt, as sort of a double certification of quality.
>>
>>1550773
Thanks Gobbles. You've inspired me to practice it more.
>>
>>1550681
Lineage is just another way to separate you from your money. If you really want to be legit, get your black belt from the original source, the kodokan.

Either you are learning all the techniques and how to apply them, or you aren't. Unlike other martial arts, with bjj it is pretty easy to figure out if your instructor can pass this knowledge to you by rolling in a tournament.
>>
What conditioning have you guys been doing outside of regular practice? Don't forget to do whatever you can to get that edge on your opponent!
>>
>>1547190
Judo is the best martial art for manlets. Kano was 5'2" after all.
>>
>>1550773
Turns out in my half awake state I put 20 years instead of 10
But still, 68 is pretty old as well, but much less worry some
>>
>>1512619
What? Travis Stevens is a judoka, they never really have success inside of the octagon.
>>
>>1551517
He's also a BJJ blackbelt. Also, notice I didn't mention MMA, but grappling competitions.
>>
keenan cornelius is coming to my school

what should I expect?
>>
>>1551291
Judoka here. One day a week I do kettlebell exercises, sandbag or tire tossing (it really depends on what I'm training that week, Pic related, I'm training ura nage this week). And clean and press.
Three times a week I do yoga designed for hip flexibility (if you look up 'hip stretches for bjj' on youtube and I'm sure you will find something similar to what I do)
Twice a week I do some shoulder mobility exercises that were prescribed by my ortho dr because of some rotator cuff issues, part of which is called the kirsch dead hangs.
If I get to practice early, I do triangle footwork drills that I picked up from 'The Difficult Way' blog.
>>
>>1550801
Some things I find as a good use as a lanklet because it uses reach: If you're standing, start setting up for it in Ashiwaza. Keep a firm collar grip to hold them at arms length, and you can usually get one butterfly hook in. They'll usually feel you off balance from being on one foot, and then press their advantage up top. Fall backwards and work your buttefly sweep using their momentum, kind of like Tomoe Nage in it's set up and application. This also frequently will give you a leg attack if it fails.

When you're on your ass (remember, I am a filthy, filthy guard puller, but you might just find yourself down there for whatever reason) you can use your reach to start reaching for that from far away. If you're lanky, you'll frequently find that you can reach for their legs with your foot farther then they can reach with their hands going forward. Even if you don't get the butterfly proper, you'll frequently get foot blocks and other disruptions on them as they try to avoid it.

The other thought I have is, I honestly think my background in TKD helps with techniques like butterfly guard. A lot of people in grappling have trouble thinking with their feet. They can't move them very precisely on their own, and their kinaesthetic awareness with them is shit. For another example of this popping up, I'm always amazed at how much trouble some people have just sticking their foot in to take someone's back.Dunno if any of this applies to you, but if you're having trouble, try doing things like ladder work, and armless drilling?
>>
>>1551610
You should expect Keenan Corneilius
>>
File: 1440628310875.jpg (22KB, 700x333px) Image search: [Google]
1440628310875.jpg
22KB, 700x333px
>>1519113
There are actually a few old catch practitioners teaching in England.

I highly doubt you would find Jake Shannon's BS there.

Our gym does catch wrestling too, but my coach learned directly under Yori Nakamura and picked up an assortment of stuff through other people.

We don't really have a catch wrestling class, our coach just teaches stuff in the NoGi class when he wants to. He's also a black belt and has been doing BJJ for around the same length of time as catch wrestling - about 25 years. Was a D1 wrestler before that. Pretty good combo imo.

>>1522248
IMO, takedowns are a lot more important in NoGi. Playing the guard game without the grips isn't nearly as advantageous. If you aren't teaching takedowns in NoGi, you've got a problem.

>>1530813
BJJ does not have a focus on smaller guys beating bigger guys. That is a lie. Any good grappling sport focuses heavily on technique.

>>1550496
It really isn't much of a quality control. Quality is mainly determined by grappling ability and coaching ability. There are some really good grapplers who are shitty coaches and just don't give a fuck. There are people without any competition credentials that are super good coaches (John Danaher for example).

>>1550667
Closed guard is not obsolete at all.

>>1550714
You just suck at butterfly guard/guard retention. I hope you're not one of those people who doesn't know any moves from rubber guard and just wastes time.

>>1551610
Memes

>>1498896
Just got done focusing on butterfly and leg lock game

Defensively, I am currently working guard retention - countering the knee cut pass. Will move on to arm bar defense after that

Offensively I am working passing combos - knee slice to leg weave and x pass. Will work the Estima lock after that.

Stand up I am working Russian 2 on 1, finishing with a single, particularly finishes good for BJJ (thinking far leg tap double, high finishes, and blocking the knee and circling). Will work a lazy lateral next.
>>
File: 1463339416204.jpg (181KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1463339416204.jpg
181KB, 1024x768px
>>1536595
>tfw no qt3.14 Sambo GF
>>
>>1551665
I read about doing kettlebell exercises for Judo in a book recently, Kettlebell Training for Athletes - Develop Explosive Power and Strength for Martial Arts, Football, Basketball and Other Sports, which specifically mentioned it for Judo. I just started, interesting to see more on that, I'm gonna have to do some kettle bell training.
>>
>>1551795
I'm the anon from before who did No-gi, I agree completely, takedowns are very important, and one of the first things I developed were decent wrestling takedowns and some throws with a good top game.
>>1550714
I also would have imagined butterfly guard for you. Did you get an overhook or two while using it? Also, have you had any success with half guard?
>>
>>1551865
My half guard game is pretty good, but in general I'm not very good off my back. I'm forcing myself to work on it, but I'm almost always able to get top position in rolling so for a long time I didn't work on it.

I'm going to spend a lot more time on it if I can, although I barely get a chance to grapple since the grappling classes are at 7am and 7pm and I work 3pm to 1am. On the plus side, my striking has improved to the point where I'm beating our amateur fighters in sparring.
>>
>>1551909
Well, you gotta work on what works for you, so if nothing else focus on half guard. Eddie Bravo uses a variation I'm going to try soon that he calls lockdown, which he says is a technique he learned from Gene Lebell.
>>
>>1549659
Sounds like good advice, ty my dude
>>
I grappled for a year and quit BJJ when I started working 60 hour weekworks. I'm considering starting up grappling again. How bad will I suck?
>>
>>1552134
For six months, you'll be as good as if you only had six months. After six months you will be as good as if you have a year and a half. That's because it takes a while to retrain your body to do the movements, but once your muscle memory comes back you'll be able to use the things you knew before.
>>
>>1551936
The lockdown in itself is really just a method of relieving pressure and creating off balance. It doesn't necessarily afford you any new moves (except electric chair) that you couldn't do without it.

The problem with lockdown is that it just becomes a stalling position for a lot of people, especially since most people aren't good at getting out of it. That's what happened when I first started using it.

You still have to use your basic underhook game from the position, it doesn't really create any new opponents aside from what I just mentioned.

I also strongly recommend butterfly hook half-guard is it allows you to get off your back to butterfly guard pretty easy.
>>
>>1552696
Butterfly hook half guard sounds really cool, I'll have to look into it.
>>
>>1552849
It's a great position.

The biggest improvements to my guard game came when I started using the following positions:

Butterfly+Butterfly 1/2 guard+Single Leg X+X Guard
>>
File: 5147364322_624e9aa639_o.jpg (226KB, 1024x1542px) Image search: [Google]
5147364322_624e9aa639_o.jpg
226KB, 1024x1542px
Why are grappling and throwing dummies so expensive?

Are they even useful? It seems most people get hyped up to buy them, and then throw them in a closet and forget about them.
>>
File: image_7.png (72KB, 698x658px) Image search: [Google]
image_7.png
72KB, 698x658px
>>1554700
>>
Can people post their favorite YouTube channels for grappling instruction?

My favorite, and a tribute to those telling me I need to practice my butterfly guard

https://youtu.be/ZiS3GVxRbsg
Also, I like the simple picture for the thread, it makes it easy to find in the catalog.
>>
Where can I pick wrestling back up in Houston I'm desperate
I miss it so much wish I had been better in hs
>>
>>1551665
Groovy stuff. I've just been running and lifting before my practices and I've been meaning to do a good stretching routine for wrestling on my off days. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1558008
You could help at your high school or look for a good club in the area. Are you in college? Do they have a team?
>>
>>1558088
Here are some basic routines that you can use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYrp8EWU3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL1lWvyrfcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKA2IYYgr4

Once you are comfortable doing those, move on to more advanced yoga hip movement like the ones on the Flow with Adee channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoI2HuJP6NHFk9kRZstmAug
>>
>>1558613
Are you supposed to warm up for a while before you do this? Thanks!
>>
>>1559849
I don't know, but I don't.
>>
I started 5 months ago
a-am I ready for a tournament?

people say I am, but I still have no idea what the heck I'm doing out there
>>
>>1560375
Yes, go compete in the under 6 months division.

Get sandbagged by wrestlers.
>>
>>1560475
this is what I fear will happen
my strategy would be lapel abuse because of it. Make them fight just as ineptly as me
>>
>>1560487
Oh, you're going gi? Much less sandbagging there.

Here's the thing: Everyone's got a few shitty tournaments in them. It's better to get them out at the low levels. The last one I competed in, I thought it would be a good idea to lose 8 pounds the day beforehand. I thought 2 hours would be plenty of time to recover.
>>
Rate this work out for grapplers

5x5 deadlift
5x5 cleans
5x5 OHP
5x5 clean and press

All done at around 75% of your 1RM.

Obviously this isn't something to do every day, but is it good enough to be doing 2-3 days a week with HIIT on the off days?
>>
Is there just no way to learn wrestling without having done it high-school?
>>
>>1560839
Why would you think that? I thought that most MMA Gyms had an emphasis on wrestling.
>>
>>1560675
>5x5 deadlift
Why would you ever do that.
>>
>>1561301
what would you do instead?
>>
>>1561356
1x5 DL, if that's your max set.
>>
>>1560839
You can find a good MMA gym and learn it, for the most part. I've wrestled a BJJ black belt with no "formal" wrestling experience and he beat the shit out of me. It's not necessarily going to be the same as joining the team when you're young, but the proper MMA gym should have plenty of guys with wrestling experience to teach the art.
>>
>>1561655
It's not a max set, it's at 75%
>>
>>1561301
stronglifts brah. It's done all the time
>>
>>1561297
Because I couldn't find any dedicated to wrestling and all the mma gyms in my area are just BJJ + boxing or muay thai
>>
>>1561662
>but the proper MMA gym should have plenty of guys with wrestling experience to teach the art.
Except better. Their wrestling evolved over the person's encounter with martial arts and MMA. Their wrestling evolved into something bigger, better. It's not wrestling anymore, but that's okay.
It's superior grappling for martial arts as a whole.
>>
>>1562143
Bait/10
>>
>>1560491
I was thinking about doing gi and no gi to double my chances of success
however its round robin so there will be a minimum of 4 matches in each division

somehow I feel 40 minutes of fighting is a little much for one afternoon
>>
>>1562741
That, and conditioning aside there's the psychological aspect. I can do 40 minutes no problem (I have some days where I'm grappling for 4 or 5 hours now), but I still don't feel comfortable going in both.

Your first tournament is mentally taxing. There's a lot of anticipation, a lot of hurry up and wait, and like you said, you've got uncertainty and no idea what you're doing. Facing all of that at once, and THEN having another tournament to face, a new set of opponents to observe, and a new gameplan to implement, that's a lot.

>>1562656
It's true, though. If you all you want out of wrestling is MMA skill, go to a dedicated MMA gym.
>>
Okay so, this was never a problem with me in high school, but lately whenever I'm at wrestling practice I always end up getting a boner at some point. It's happened pretty much every time I've gone to training over the last several months. I'm usually so caught up in the action that I don't realise until we're finished. Then I look down and BAM, I'm fucking torqued. And I'm not talking about just a chubby, I mean, I'm fucking boned all the way up to the max. Shit, this is so embarassing every time it happens. And I know it's bad because the guys won't even make fun of me over it, they just kinda look away and pretend I'm not rocking a full on cockstand in my singlet. What the hell is going on, guys? Am I gay or something? This is seriously getting to me. I'm even getting a stiffy just thinking about it. Damn...
>>
>>1563481
You're probably not gay, it's just a physiological reaction.

Try developing a pornography addiction like the rest of 4chan.
>>
I've only done 2 bjj competitions and each time I always feel nauseous. After my first ever match I went to the toilet to sit down for a bit because I felt like I was gonna hurl even though I didn't eat much that day.

My second competition, I loaded up a shit ton of pasta the night before and only had a banana in the morning. I still felt a little nauseous travelling to the competition location.

I'm thinking of entering another competition around October, I hope the butterflies fuck off for good this time.
>>
Russian Diplomat Uses BJJ To Disarm, Kill Robber During Rio Torch Relay

Marcos Cesar Feres Braga, a Brazilian lawyer who holds the vice-consul post at the Russian consulate, reportedly grabbed the attacker and pulled him into his BMW X6 after he had smashed the car window and pointed a gun at him, demanding he hand over his watch.

A struggle ensued inside the diplomat's car until he managed to grab the assailant's gun, which he used to shoot him dead at point blank range, according to police.

Mr Braga is trained in jiu-jitsu and was travelling with his wife and daughter at the time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3724476/Armed-mugger-killed-gun-drama-near-Olympics-Russian-diplomat-drags-motorcycle-robber-car-shoots-dead.html#ixzz4GQN5tmDz
>>
>>1563596
As a general rule, the moment you feel that you are ready to compete, you should be competing in the next bracket.
>>
>>1563481
Seems like a disadvantage because you're giving a guy that much more inspiration to get out of referee's position.

You might be gay, but it seems more likely that you're not getting off enough so any contact gives you an erection.

I second >>1563486 's opinion. Try masturbating to 2d until you can't even get it up for women.

Alternately, a good trick is to masturbate about an hour before practice. I do it sometimes when I'm really horny because I don't want to get into one of my teammates' guards (mma gym) and get a boner. I'm actually gay so if it works for me it should work twice as well for you.
>>
>>1563444
Your wrestling still will never be comparable to a guy that wrestles who transitions into MMA.
>>
>>1564104
>b-b-but BJJ doesn't work on da streetz!!
>>
>>1565077
it didn't work on the street
wrestling a gun out of someones hand and shooting them isn't bjj, just so you know
>>
where else do people go for rich discussion now that this place kind of died
>>
>>1565259
when the war came, only goju guy tried to take a stand against the encroaching forces, the rest abandoned him and fled to sherdog

he died for you
>>
>>1565074
>Your wrestling will not be as good as someone who has more wrestling practice than you
Fucking duh.
>>
>>1565334
Sher dog is alright but often there's a lot of shit that isn't technique discussion going on. Reddit would be decent if it wasn't reddit (too many cringy #bjjlyf type posts)

What YouTube channels do you guys follow? I'd love to find rolling with commentary but ive only found Stephen Cornelius
>>
>>1565589
Sakuraba has his own channel. Instead of telling his Gracie killing techniques, he does much better videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZulatgez8
>>
Bumperino
>>
>>1567820
he's dead jim
>>
>>1568691
I refuse.
>>
Went to BJJ class for the first time in over a month. Got tapped out by the kids that started two months ago. Feels bad, man.
>>
Today, I managed to catch someone in a triangle choke, an omoplata, and a wrist lock at the same time.

I might never be a good grappler, but someday I will be an entertaining grappler.
>>
>>1568886
Glad you had a good day, Gobbles. I tried to play butterfly guard but got it passed, put in a mounted triangle, and submitted by a guy that started two months ago. I also got tapped out twice by a white belt chick.
>>
>>1568894
Oof, playing butterfly guard on your first day back after a month off?

Keep at it though. Which way did he pass?
>>
>>1544546
Fucking expensive
>>
>>1568916
I had guard, I opened it and tried to transition and he caught my legs and passed to side control. I never get into butterfly naturally because no one ever plays pressure on me.
>>
>>1569017
Oh, yeah, that'll do it. I got good at butterfly guard because I was constantly rolling with wrestlers who outweigh me. People play pressure with me all the time.

Did you voluntarily give up closed guard?
>>
>>1563444
ok, it's done. I have registered and paid my fee for the tournament on saturday...there's no going back now

I hope I don't embarrass myself out there, I really don't know what I'm doing
my teacher said "just stick to ya fuckin basics"
problem is there is no beginners class at the place I go to, so I take the same classes as the purple and brown belts and have been picking up "the basics" on the fly

I have a better understanding of spider guard, single leg X, and de la riva than I do regular closed guard and mount

I know a half dozen ways to get into a bow and arrow while at the same time only knowing 2 ways to escape from mount and one way to escape from a back take
>>
>>1569259
Yeah, I just wanted to try it. I have the best wrestling in my gym but everyone plays that sport jiujitsu style: inverted guard, de la riva. And we start from double open guard, so that makes it extra hard for me. I'm not complaining because it's what I need work on the most, but I get my ass kicked a lot whereas if I start standing I can just takedown-pass-mount-grapevine people.
>>
>>1500103
Learn all the positions and focus on how to improve your position. Submissions will flow from neutral or superior positions.
>>
>>1503345
Fewer concussions than boxing and rugby... that's why I switched to BJJ
>>
>>1511761
Winningest is a word if that is your implication
>>
>>1530813
It does not have a "focus" on small opponents taking on larger guys. And long limbs are great for guys who play closed guard. There will be a style of play for you, just don't replace technique with size.
>>
>>1500103
This is a question for your coach and you are a faggot for even asking here.
>>
>>1570450
>>1500103
Just remember that "position" does not always mean the major positions like guard, side-control, and mount. High guard with your opponent's hand on the mat is a great position for you. Low guard with your hips held to the mat is a terrible position for you. This is kind of something that has taken me a long time to learn and people at high levels can feel when to try for a submission and when to fight for a position. There are a lot of situations when you should not sit for an armbar from mount, and inversely there are a few when you can lock one in from the bottom of side control.
>>
>>1565112
wrestling is BJJ, he pretty muched grappled a guy in a street altercation using a grapple. And BJJ is grappling
>>
Is it true that side control is a better position than mount?
>>
>>1570621
Even more than that, it's securing grips, which traditional BJJ is even bigger on than wrestling.
>>
>>1571813
depends on what you want and what you have in mind to finish.
>>
>>1571838
What are the trade-offs, then?
>>
>>1547145
My BJJ instructor is your height and he's a fucking beast.

Don't give up.
>>
>>1573285
Is his name Matt Serra?
>>
>>1571813
yes, mount is dumb when you are grappling. its good when punching
it's the worst top position to go for subs from
>>
>>1573391
I wondered. I always feel like I could beat the shit out of someone from mount but I can never get subs from it.

When I'm in MMA class, I get mount, gently tap my opponent on the cheeks for about 15 seconds, wait for them to give their back, and then get the rear naked. In my no-gi BJJ class I get mount and then I sit in it until I try something ridiculous like a mounted gogoplata, and then I get rolled.
>>
>>1570621
>wrestling is BJJ, he pretty muched grappled a guy in a street altercation using a grapple. And BJJ is grappling

There is a place called Faggotville.
There are 100 humans in Faggotville.
30 of those people are flaming homosexuals.
20 of those people are blatantly average people.
50 of those people are dead.

All flaming homosexuals of Faggotville are humans, but not all humans are flaming homosexuals.
All blatantly average people of Faggotville are humans, but not all humans are blatantly average.
All dead people in Faggotville are humans, but not all humans are dead.

All BJJ is grappling, but not all grappling is BJJ.
>>
>>1560675
>5x5 deadlifts
>dealifts before cleans
>no upper body pulls
>no split squats
This workout is trash
>>
>>1574536
It's the full range of movement of a clean and press, this is something I do once a week with other days dedicated to other lifts.
>>
Are the groups of Judo throws indicative of what order they're usually taught in?

Is Sasae Tsuri-Komi Ashi a typical basic technique?
>>
>>1574858
No, the basic form of that throw would be something like de ashi barai, which is one of the first foot sweeps taught in the syllabus, sasae would be a "development" from that original sweep.

It's a similar thing with o-goshi and harai/hane goshi, o-goshi is the basic throw taught, as it gets you used to throwing with your hips, and harai and hane goshi are development of that throw.

At least, that is a simplified way of putting it.
>>
>>1574905
That's what I figured. Trying to figure out the logic of doing Sasae first.

>>1570432
OH GOD THE MEMES ARE REAL.

Also, for workouts, just did a workout with a UFC fighter:

Circuit of:
Hammer Swings
Hanging situps with 10 pound medicine ball
Rope Climb (he did it without using his legs)
50 pound deadlifts
Dips.

Think we were doing a minute each? Hard to say.

3 reps of that.

Then 3 sets of alternating hammer swings and HIIT on the exercise bike.
>>
I have noticed a hole I have. I keep getting taken down from behind, people can take my back pretty easily while standing and I get pulled down off my feet or tossed

is there a technique to prevent them from getting back there so easily or do I just need to be more aware of it and scramble better?
>>
>>1575542
What format are we talking?
>>
>>1575547
ibjjf rules. Happens with the gi and with no gi
>>
How do I deal about social anxiety regarding going to the gym?
>>
>>1575552
If nothing else, pull guard. Anything beats getting taken down from behind.
>>
>>1575591
yesterday is when someone really drove the problem home and made me realize its something that happens a lot. He wouldn't engage me in grappling, he would get behind me, suplex my shit, then disengage once I started gaining control and stand up, repeat

going by points I got blown the fuck out
2 points - 2 points- 2 points- 2 points
it just kept happening
>>
>>1575676
You're giving up control too much during position fighting. Get a partner and practice pummeling, but at random times during the pummeling have your partner try to take your back. This will teach you to whizzer to stop the back take and to regain your underhooks. It's really easy to stop someone from taking your back if you have underhooks.
>>
>>1575676
>>1575729
Here's a good video about what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaPPyUnJEDQ
>>
File: transition into armbar.webm (3MB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
transition into armbar.webm
3MB, 350x196px
How come you don't see many standing submissions?

Webm unrelated, just saw it on my FB feed and converted it.
>>
>>1576439
Olympics has had some pretty good judo
>>
File: shoulder crank jon jones.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder crank jon jones.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>1576439
you do see them every now and then in Judo, BJJ and MMA

it really comes down to people not maximizing the timing for these gotcha moves. Most if not all standing subs are used as punshiment for someone with lazy or bad grip fighting/pummels.

For example one of the biggest openings for a standing elbow lock is if someone lazily drapes their arm on your neck
>>1573974
you time it right and shrug your shoulders and catch the the arm. Problem is the window and timing are so small. Most grapplers are actively scrambling, so they feel that arm getting isolated well its easy just to pull their arm out and step away. It sucks with being in stand up because there is such fast movement and free mobility for the defender to just use their foot work and move out, or pull out
This also goes into why people and styles develop submission games on the ground, on the ground there is less mobility for defender, and easier and larger windows of timing to sync in a sub.
>>
File: shoulder crank mike tyson.webm (881KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder crank mike tyson.webm
881KB, 640x480px
>>1576539
Looking at the above webm of Jon Jones hitting the standing shoulder lock against Glover Texeria, even with Jones cranking it and even twisting it at least twice, glover didnt tap he gut it out, adjusted his footwork and gained mobility and was able to circle and pull out relieving the the submission.

You can also see Mike Tyson hitting the standing shoulder crank while in the clinch, his opponent readjust and relieving pressure due to his mobility
>>
File: standing gi choke.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
standing gi choke.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>1576550
There are other standing submissions though like standing chokes but even though you don't see many people risk it, they'e nice gotcha moves. but man the counter and risk of injuring yourself is high. a lot of standing chokes will leave you vulnerable to either getting a hard counter throw (and having both of your arms tied up and not prep for a decent ukemi is asking for trouble) or rarer but more horrible they throw you into a standing armlock and you break your arm while doing a standing choke.
>>
File: standing gi choke 2.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
standing gi choke 2.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>1576577
>>
>>1576577
what kind of retarded belt ID system is that
derr you hafta wear 2 belts cus rank is important
>>
>>1577845
Apparently you haven't been to a judo tournament. If the tournament doesn't require you have two different colored gis (white/blue) then one of the players has to wear a red belt.
On the score board, the one without the red belt is the white player and the one with the red belt is the red player regardless of what color gi they are wearing.
>>
>>1578863
wearing two belts is stupid though, just wear the red one
>>
>>1578912
No.

You do what the tournament judge fucking tells you to.
>>
>>1578940
tournament judge a busta
>>
File: ono trip.webm (2MB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
ono trip.webm
2MB, 1280x738px
>>
>>1579264
Ono steamrolled absolutely everybody today.

They should put him in 81kg for shits and giggles
>>
>>1579412
Ono was superb.

Anyone following the mongolian shitstorm due to Silva's gold? Literally all IJF social media is spammed by mongolians crying.
>>
Can someone recommend a brand of wrestling shoes?

Also, whats the stupidest thing you've pulled off lately?

For me, it was a face plant somersault pass of a butterfly guard.
>>
So I'm starting BJJ tomorrow and just got my gi
How do I know it fits? The guy at the gym I bought it from said it looks perfect but I dont know, it feels weird
>>
>>1582541
If it feels to tight, might I suggest learning judo.
>>
>>1583497
I'm not sure I get the joke
>>
>>1583516
BJJ gis are tighter-fitting than judo gis
>>
>>1580676
There was some justification for why that's legal (besides the refs not wanting to get shot while going home later that night), but it's just a perfect example why this is a stupid fucking rule that needs to die ASAP

I hope all the rumors about leg grabs coming back, even if in a limited scope, are real
>>
>>1568863
Don't slack off and then complain you got beat by those that put in work. Get that work in
>>
>>1583968
Please yes. No leg grabs is retarded
>>
>>1581688
>Also, whats the stupidest thing you've pulled off lately?

Headbutted someone escaping kata ha jime.
>>
>>1584668
How about grabbing with legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW3KHbtHva8
>>
>>1584038
It's not my fault I work during the only class times. He says he will start a class I can actually go to every week in October or November, but it sucks right now. He unlocks the door for me and I shadow box and hit the heavy bag by myself, but that's all I can do.
>>
why do people talk about calf slicers like they are he who must not be named?

someone brings up the prospect of a calf slicer, suddenly you can feel the collective anus clinch of everyone in the room
>>
>>1578984
busta a nut on yo ass
>>
>>1581688
Asics
>>
Anyone here ever hit a chokeslam in a match before ?
>>
>>1587411
I got rock bottomed in jiujitsu earlier tonight
guy was about 320 so he outweighed me by over 100 pounds, but it was pretty neat
>>
>>1587385
Calf slicers or heel hooks?

Because heel hooks deserve anus clenching.
>>
>>1588846
maybe I'm thinking of heel hooks
>>
File: fin_katt.png (2MB, 1275x939px) Image search: [Google]
fin_katt.png
2MB, 1275x939px
>tfw doing my first week of bjj
I wish I had started this earlier, it's fun as fuck desu
But quick question. That one warmup exercise when you're on your back and scooting across the floor kinda? How do I properly do that?
Also when do I shake the feeling that I'm hindering the progress of people practicing moves on me instead of someone who knows how to move?
>>
>>1589604
>Also when do I shake the feeling that I'm hindering the progress of people practicing moves on me instead of someone who knows how to move?
Forget about it. If you git gud enough, you should be able to execute a move on somebody who's resisting/moves in a way you're unaccustomed too.
>>
>>1589604
Realize that in order to become excellent at a technique, you need to do it 10,000 times. No matter how bad you are, you are still helping put miles on the tires.
>>
>>1589361
So with techniques like an armbar, there's usually a lot of pulling and hurting to progress from 'got you in an armbar' to 'broken arm'. Heel Hooks have a VERY short window of it. It is VERY easy to progress from 'trying to get him in a heel hook' to 'he won't walk for months' in a quick turn.

This is especially bad for newbies who
1) Try to go straight for heel hooks and crank them.
or
2) Get caught in heel hooks and try twisting around like a fish to get out of them.

On both end training heel hooks, they are not worth it. There is a reason most grappling styles don't teach them until an advanced level. Even if your school doesn't, it's better to be safe than sorry with them.
>>
>>1589604
Do you mean shrimping? You'll just pick that up and get better at as you continue to train. Also don't worry about you hindering anyone else because that's not going to happen. You're there to learn and get better and no one expects your reactions to be on point on your first day. Observe what the good guys are doing and emulate it, alongside paying good attention to what your instructor is teaching.
>>
>>1589604
>How do I properly do that?
isn't this exactly what you are paying your teacher for?
>>
>>1591902
I actually got taught how to do it today instead
>>
File: yoga.jpg (9KB, 208x260px) Image search: [Google]
yoga.jpg
9KB, 208x260px
If I git gud at yoga will I be harder to submit and grapple with in general?
>>
>>1593225
the hips aren't exactly a common place to attack and you can't really increase flexibility in your elbows and knees
>>
>>1593225
You will find it easier to submit others rather than find it harder to submit.

You might be harder to grapple as you can maintain guard, half guard better, and maybe start trying things like rubber and tornado guard which require increased flexibility.

It's a good idea and you should go for it.
>>
It's rest day today lads, no Judo going on anywhere, and I've spent the last 12 days in the gym. Anyone else get bored as fuck on rest days?
>>
>>1593225
Lots of high level bjjers and judoka use yoga as part of their training.

http://www.bjjperformance.com/yoga-the-best-bjj-training-supplement-youre-not-using/
>>
>>1593225
In general it could help a little, against certain attacks, like the electric chair it would be invaluable, I'd imagine.
>>
So how do I make friends at the gym, or rather try to get accepted into the culture?
Is it just a manner of going regularly?
>>
>>1596712
Shake hands with everyone and ask their names when you roll. Keep saying "Sorry, what was your name again?" until you remember them. Start using their names.
>>
>>1596712
There is a concept that many of the grappling arts share called Jita-Kyoei. It means that if you take care of your partner and the take care you, you will both benefit.
If someone is working a specific flow or takedown, offer to be their partner and coach the through it, and give good feedback to redirect them when they are doing wrong.
Also, make sure to learn names, have a positive attitude and actually give a damn about what is going on in their life.
Do this over the course of many months and the friendships will come.
>>
can anyone recommend a good stretching routine? in particular i need to get my back flexibility back up.
>>
File: ryan hall backpack back take.webm (572KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ryan hall backpack back take.webm
572KB, 640x360px
>>1598764
Ryan Hall's flexibility for BJJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeA9Z76deDo
>>
File: bsaget2-sm.jpg (20KB, 230x316px) Image search: [Google]
bsaget2-sm.jpg
20KB, 230x316px
>mfw my BJJ instructor gave his 7 year old son a purple belt

Should I stop going to that gym for that reason alone?
>>
>>1598865
keku no wai
>>
>>1598768
thanks
>>
>>1547145
You're instructor is shit, he should be having you work on the half guard
>>
>>1598764
I use this one in my warm ups.

https://youtu.be/ipO_mZxCcM0
>>
I'm starting to get the spooky scary skellinghands when I wrestle with the gi.

Any advice to reduce/prevent joint swelling?
>>
>>1599590
dat ass...
>>
>>1600905
Tape em up?
>>
File: 1469850013347.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469850013347.webm
3MB, 480x360px
Bump
>>
>>1600905
You getting any pain in the joints? You'll get some changes happening whatever you do, but if you do get swelling, just ice it.
>>
>>1606045
>You getting any pain in the joints?
Oh yeah, all the time, now.
>>
https://youtu.be/AGmti0S0RZIu

Here is the egyptian who refused to shake hands getting BTFO in a previous fight while he was having another cry
>>
>>1609273
my teacher said the same thing happened to him, he stuck his arm out and looked at the judge while protesting a penalty, the other guy just grabbed it and tossed him.
that's a mistake you make once
>>
>>1607194
Ice them as soon as you finish training, and start learning how to tape your fingers properly.

Unfortunately it's just something that comes with a lot of grappling.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (14KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
14KB, 275x183px
>>1499885
There could be no belt or ribbon to measure the level of skill in wrestling. A first year wrestler could beat a wrestler who has trained their whole life. This is because wrestling isnt all about doing fancy moves. Its about willpower and strength. Whoever wants to win more will win, every time
Thread posts: 275
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.