[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Combat Sports/Martial Arts Equipment so expensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: cleto-reyes-extra-padding.jpg (281KB, 1500x1277px) Image search: [Google]
cleto-reyes-extra-padding.jpg
281KB, 1500x1277px
Well, as the title says I was hoping to start a thread discussing how combat sports, and martial arts equipment bleeds us dry.
This is also a general discussion about favorite equipment/brands/ styles of equipment etc.
Also just good to have anything not Wressling based for once.
So general questions for everyone who enters this thread:
1) What style do you train in?
2) What equipment do you usually use?
3) Favorite brands?
4) Average price of said brands?
5) Do you feel it is worth the extra monies?
>>
>>1441017
1) I currently train solely in Muay Thai, I plan to add boxing just to better my hands and catch wrestling as I feel it fits my style a lot more then BJJ.
2) Usually, a pair of pad gloves, a pair of drill gloves, a pair of sparring gloves, a pair of sparring shin guards and a pair of drill shin guards. On hard sparring days I like to use knee pads, but mine are no where to be found.
3) Windy, Raja, Yokkao and East Coat MMA fight shop's line of gear. I usually use Windy for pads, just because they sort of shine there, Raja I use for drills and sparring, Yokkao I mostly just like their shin guards, nice and light with superior padding, and East Coast MMA I use mostly for sparring their gear is next level, cheap too!
4) Windy averages around 80 bucks for gloves, Raja is around 75- 90 ish average depending on where you get it from, Yokkao shin guards are pricy usually 90 to 130 sometimes cheaper but then the shipping fucks you in the ass harder then hogan is fucked by them steriods. East Coast MMA is average around 100 for both gloves and shin guards, while getting the pure leather, and extra padding necessary.
5) Do I feel its worth the extra monies.... If Im not taking it into the ring (which I wont because almost all promotions here are sponsored by Adidas so we're stuck using those), no. I know the more pricy gear will last me, but at the same time, I only hard spar once a week, and even though I train (usually Im taking a month off) six times a week for 3 to 5ish hours, proper care could even make shitty gloves and shn guards last a little longer then theyre expected.
>>
1) Boxing now. I also train in BJJ and judo, but used to just train Muay Thai full time.
2) Pad / bag gloves and sparring gloves
3) Sandee, Twins, Winning and Cleto Reyes.
4) Sandee is around £40 - 60 for gloves since it has a big presence in UK and a lot of gyms sell it, Twins is mostly sold from Thailand, so the same as Sandee plus delivery fees which add £10. Cleto Reyes are ridiculously high, like £90 going up to £300 depending what you're after and the same with Winning.
5) You'll feel a difference from $10 gloves compared to $100 gloves, just depends how dedicated you are and interested.
>>
>>1441112
Eh I feel the difference, and I am dedicated but I dont feel like it's worth the whole extra $100 now if it was like 40-60 extra I'd be ok with it, it'd be good equipement for a reasonable price, but I shouldnt be dropping enough to start up another martial arts for gloves.
Though the prices seem so much cheaper for you, most prominent in the shipping for me to ship a pair of Windy's to my place is a whole 30 to 50 extra depending on how fast I want it, and then the wait time. Ugh.
>>
>>1441017

Because the companies want to make money and they're not exactly popular products.
>>
1) Krav Maga (KMG) with supplemental boxing, kickboxing and BJJ.
2) Boxing gloves, grappling gloves, dry fit rash guards, shin protection, mouth piece.
3) Hayabusa MMA gloves, King boxing gloves, underarmor rashguard, custom mouthpiece (dentist made), Adidas wrestling shoes, some shitty Joya shin protection I never got around replacing, Warrior International MMA pants.
4) €80,- give or take
5) Having had €20,- gloves and Nike pants, hell yes.
>>
>>1441269
How are the Hayabusa MMA gloves?
>>
>>1441664
They are great. The double Velcro wrap makes for a good support around the wrist, the padding has yet to harden up even after a year of regular use (4 times a week) and the sewing holds up.

Watch out for special edition gloves though. They are €10 to €20 more expensive with the only difference being a different print.
>>
Shitty overused, first price Metal boxe gloves
>>
>>1441748
Along with some good quality (though now overused) Savate shoes that i've recevied for my birthday years ago
>>
Bjj, i have 2 gis, mma shorts, a rashguard, spats, mouthpiece and headgear.

Fuji is the best brand of gi i've used, the basic one is about 70$ online.
>>
>>1441688
Sounds pretty good, see I dont know much about small gloves, the only time I've ever used them is when I used to study Sambo and I only ever used the ones I was told to use by the more experienced students.
>>1441755
I've always wondered what is it like kicking with Savate shoes? Are the uncomfortable in anyway Do they feel heavy or is it like barefoot but with a little extra omf to your kicks.
>>
>>1441755
Can you show the sides and soles? I'm the KMG guy, will provide photos of my stuff soon.
>>
When in doubt, blame the jews.
>>
I have a judogi that I spent 50 buck on because it was overstock. That is the only thing I have spent money on, and I'm a brown belt.
>>
Boxer reporting in, does /asp/ have separate gloves for training and fighting/sparring? I had a really nice set of Title gloves that I used for the bag work and for sparring, but the right glove wound up getting all the fluff pushed away from the fist part. What do?
>>
>>1447789
It must smell pretty bad at this point
>>
>>1448868
There's a difference between training gloves and competition/sparring gloves. Training gloves are much harder and meant for bag work and will last you longer for just that, whereas sparring gloves are softer to keep your partner's face from getting smashed up too fast.
>>
>>1449046
Not only do I own a washing machine, but I use it often enough to not be 'that guy.'
>>
>>1448868
I use the same gloves for training and sparring, they actually are competition gloves. I know I should probably get something heavier for training but I like my light gloves too much.
>>
File: 325.jpg (33KB, 400x609px) Image search: [Google]
325.jpg
33KB, 400x609px
>>1441017
1) Sanda, boxing, kickboxing, MMA
2) Boxing gloves, mouthguard, shinguards, knee pads, ankle support, and I'll need to buy headgear soon.
3) Venum, Adidas, Okami fightgear
4) 60 euros for the gloves, 40 something for the rest, as for the headgear I'll spend around 70-80 euros on it.
5) I'm sincerely satisfied with my very affordable gear
>>
>>1451707
While it's apparently not a problem now, you're putting your training partner at risk. Using the same gloves for multiple things creates a few problems:

1 - Smaller gloves = less protection for both your fists and your opponent. It also increases the likelihood of cutting your opponent.

2 - Using bag gloves as sparring gloves can be problematic because the leather will crack and split, which is again dangerous for your opponent. Additionally, the padding will get pushed aside and torn underneath the leather, providing your fists with less padding and not protecting your sparring partner's face as well.
>>
>>1451716
my whole equipment for boxing cost me like 50euros, you were probably scammed
>>
File: AAT_000418.jpg (79KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
AAT_000418.jpg
79KB, 800x800px
1) Boxing
2) Paffen Sport or Green Hill
3) Pretty much the brands I just named. Lonsdale boots look breddy gud, too
4) gloves cost between 50 - 120 €
5) you mustn't buy the cheap stuff but you don't have to get the most expensive gear either. reliable solid leather gloves usually cost around 50 - 70 €
pic related, currently been using these for a few months now and I really like them so far
>>
>>1451012
I assumed you were a bjj blackbelt, but im guessing youre a judo blackbelt. If you used one gi for 10 years it wouls smell like shit but you get your judo blackbelt after like 2 years right?
>>
>why so expensive
because basic free market economics.
Many people who buy equipment are willing to pay high prices.
>what style
Hapkido
>what do you use
cheap judo gi, cloth shin guards, cup, cloth arm guards, mouth guard. Then there is the gear I did not pay for like mats, hand targets/pads, and kick sheids.
>favorite brands
Don't really give a shit. As long as it fufills it's role and is cheap, it is fine by me. I will say that I do own a lot of tiger clay brand gear, because they happen to be cheap but durable.
>price
>
the guards are like $15, the gis are around $40. Rest of my gear is diffrent brands. Like I spent a full $30 on my cup (because don't want to cheap out there), and like $15 on a mouth guard out of convenence (it was the one that happened to be at the sporting goods store I was at).
>is it worth it
The cheap gear has held up pretty well compared to more pricy gear some of the people I train with use.
The only thing I intentially payed more than I had to is my cup. After years of abuse it still holds up so I would say it is worth it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.