[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self defense MA for confidence and axiety?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: self-defense-banner.png (416KB, 960x450px) Image search: [Google]
self-defense-banner.png
416KB, 960x450px
Soup, fellow /asp/ies!
28yo poor man here.

I have crippling confidence issues and have had them since I was a kid getting picked on by the other kids who were lucky to grow up with friends next door (I was surrounded by seniors despite not living in a senior community). As I'm getting older it's developing into severe social anxiety - so much so that I haven't left my room for anything other than food, bathroom, and work for the past 9 years.

I'm sick of living like this and have been for some time, but I feel so helpless and I don't know where to start.

I am getting in shape (calisthenics and kayaking) but my confidence/anxiety isn't improving at all and in fact seems to be getting worse now that I'm really focusing on my body. I think my anxiety and confidence issues are because I wasn't able to defend myself as a kid, and I haven't had any opportunities to change that. I did Karate at a local McDojo when I was 10, but only because my grandparents paid for the first month. After my "free month" was over my parents couldn't afford the monthly fee so I had to stop.

Our financial situation hasn't changed, and I'm still living at home with my folks at almost 30 years old. My father makes it a point to make me aware of the burden I've become every chance he gets. Without looks, money, or toughness I might as well just give up and die because I won't ever make anything of myself like this.

I have no friends - the ones I had are shitheads that sexually prey on highschool girls and didn't really give a shit about anyone but themselves. My brother's friend is an ex-judo teacher that refuses to teach me. My brother isn't interested in fighting at all. I have no like-minded individuals to help me, and I can't afford to pay a teacher. How can I go about learning a self-defense MA with absolutely no resources and nobody to practice with?

tl;dr: Severe anxiety, poor, no resources and no help from others - how can I go about learning a self-defense MA like this?
>>
buy a gun
>>
The self defense martial arts for poor people are judo and American boxing. Pick one and do it for a few years, then do the other and you are all set.
>>
>>1416982
Did you miss the part where I'm poor? MSRP on a gun is at least $200 for the low-end models - then I'd need ammo, cleaning supplies, a range to practice, etc. Aside from all that my state (NJ) does not issue carry licenses to anyone that is not a LEO so it's really not an option.
>>
>>1416987
>Pick one and do it for a few years, then do the other and you are all set
>do it for a few years
>then do the other
With who? Fighting still, non-aggressive targets isn't going to help me in a fight.

And under who's instruction/guidance? How will I know if I'm fucking up?
>>
>>1416994
Get off your ass and find a club/dojo near you. Both judo and boxing have live sparring as part of their practice, and if judo is to expensive for you, then you need a better job, not a martial art.
Either do it or don't, but stop making excuses.
>>
>>1417009
>then you need a better job
I do, but there isn't anything available locally that isn't part time and minimum wage, and getting 2 or 3 part time jobs takes up the time I would need to get into an MA.

I'm not making excuses, I'm trying to find a way to make this a possibility but given my situation and your responses it looks like I should just give up and get used to jerking off for the rest of my life...
>>
>>1416978

I recommend you start with an obscure Korean MA: Getajob
>>
>>1417055
>Getajob
>>1417044
>I do, but there isn't anything available locally that isn't part time and minimum wage, and getting 2 or 3 part time jobs takes up the time I would need to get into an MA.
>>
1) Have you gone to a medical professional about your anxiety issues recently? If price is an issue, could always try a free clinic if they're around.

2) Did you even enjoy your lessons as a kid? Wondering about your current enjoyment levels from self defense desu and if it is even worth the trouble for you to pursue
>>
>>1417180
>Have you gone to a medical professional about your anxiety issues recently? If price is an issue, could always try a free clinic if they're around.
I saw a doctor and he wants me to manage my anxiety on my own. If I'm having a series of bad attacks he'll prescribe me 1/2 bottle of generic xanax. Taking drugs to manage my anxiety isn't exactly ideal since I need to operate heavy machinery (warehouse job).

>Did you even enjoy your lessons as a kid? Wondering about your current enjoyment levels from self defense desu and if it is even worth the trouble for you to pursue
I did - MA isn't a team sport so I didn't have to get along with everyone, just one or two people to help with exercises - which takes the pressure off immensely. It's the only time in my entire childhood that I can remember where I felt like I belonged...
>>
>>1417191
You got a bad doctor honestly. Didn't really help you out and just gave you babby's first mental health medication without considering your situation (or were you not working that job at the time of seeing him?). Finding the right professional to help is a hassle, and could take a long time. I'm in the same boat as you with the anxiety thing (having a medical professional call your situation "crippling" ain't fun), but you must keep doing as much as you can to get yourself to someone that could help.

At least though self-defense is something you want to do. Were you not able to find any further research online for low-cost programs in your area? Online courses too sketchy to you? You did mention it somewhat in an earlier post, but is it absolutely vital in your situation right now? Is saving up what you can for future live courses not be possible? From a really quick search, there doesn't seem to be many free courses for the general public, just specific things for women.

Can't help much further since femanon mandrama fag, but good luck. Juggling your mental shit with your desires & financial issues isn't fun.
>>
>>1417227
>You did mention it somewhat in an earlier post, but is it absolutely vital in your situation right now?
Oops, this was meant about >>1416994
>>
>>1417227
Didn't really help you out and just gave you babby's first mental health medication without considering your situation)
Probably not - NJ is a medical state. Lots of hospitals, lots of urgent cares, lots of pharmacies, and a giant "war on drugs". And I started seeing him before this warehouse job. It's been years since my last script.
>>1417228
Understood - it's not vital to life, but vital to sanity.
>>
>>1416978
You don't want that OP. Schools like that PREY on people like you. They elevate threats (implant anxieties) and then give you easy solutions, for money (if not for money, than Ego boosts).

You have a real problem, and you need real help. Fortunately, martial arts can help. Real confidence boosts come from overcoming real obstacles. I was a pretty bad shut in for years due to neurological problems, and nothing helped more than getting into combat sports.

It will challenge you. But it will shape you, and you will grow.

Seriously though, talk specifics. What schools are available within driving distance of you, how much do they cost, etc.

Anon mentioned Judo and Boxing, because those can sometimes be found absolutely free, or nearly free, depending on your area. They're frequently attached to churches, schools, YMCAs etc.

HEMA clubs are also worth looking into for the same reason. The one around here is free during the summer and $5 a class during Winter.
>>
>>1417246
Thanks, Gobby.
There's a McDojo Karate school near me, a few BJJ studios, and a decaying MMA school. There's also a "dojo" in Toms RIver that's supposedly owned by Jason David Frank (yeah, the Green Ranger), but he doesn't visit or teach or anything...
No clubs I can find outside of actual public/private schools. It's a very touristy area and the locals are all work-slaves hellbent on rebuilding after Hurricane Sandy fucking 4 years later...

HEMA is not popular here, no clubs or groups I can find - everything I can find is in NY or PA; too far from the shore...
>>
>>1417311
>No clubs I can find outside of actual public/private schools. It's a very touristy area and the locals are all work-slaves hellbent on rebuilding after Hurricane Sandy fucking 4 years later...
Oh god, I know that feel. At least did your town mostly make it back? My town got gentrified to shit in the aftermath.
>>
>>1417528
Hard to tell, the tourists are here but not the same numbers. Everyone is still struggling along - too poor to move, too much debt to stay...
>>
>>1416989
Learning a martial art is way more expensive
>>
>>1416978
>My father makes it a point to make me aware of the burden I've become every chance he gets
He's trying to make you look for a job.

Your situation is the same as 80% of the people on 4chan, it's normal.
The only thing you can do without spending a cent is either practicing a kata or watching youtube videos about a striking art (and spend something on a punching bag to practice them)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.