[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROID MONKEYS DESTROYED

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: IWGP-World-Champion-AJ-Styles.jpg (46KB, 528x644px) Image search: [Google]
IWGP-World-Champion-AJ-Styles.jpg
46KB, 528x644px
- Dave Meltzer wrote in the latest issue of The Wrestling Observer about how AJ Styles and Austin Aries have changed WWE's perception on the talent that they are signing. It was noted that in the past WWE had little interest in both men because of their look, but Aries' success in NXT and how well Styles has gotten over on the main roster has has caused them to change their mentality on signing great workers who "looked like normal guys." Meltzer also noted that Styles was originally brought in to work low on the cards, and possibly get to the middle, but the fan reactions at The Royal Rumble and even more at live events has changed that to where is now on of their top stars.
>>
MIDGETS

GET

OUUUUUUUUUUT
>>
File: 1456073037800.jpg (18KB, 236x339px) Image search: [Google]
1456073037800.jpg
18KB, 236x339px
>>1413883
> according to meltzer
>>
>>1413883
Please tell me your full of shit, cause I don't want to belive they brought in AJ to be a low card jobber. But at the same time I'm not surprised that they wouldn't know better.
>>
>>1414039
>low card jobber

Do you think that's what he is?
>>
>>1413883
>Styles was originally brought in to work low on the cards

Bullshit.
Styles' contract was 500k + merchandising, he's getting more money than Ambrose and Rollins combined. Vince is stubborn, not dumb, he isn't going to waste him on lowcard shitters.
>>
>>1414045
meant to say "he was never going to waste him on lowcard shitters."
>>
that doesnt even make sense. anyone with a little bit of knowlege would have known AJ and Aries would both get over. they have gotten over every place they have ever been. WWE isn't that much different as far as the fans go.
>>
File: AJ.png (336KB, 537x361px) Image search: [Google]
AJ.png
336KB, 537x361px
ain't nobody breaking this redneck
>>
>>1414044
The implication is that the WWE originally planned for him to be a low card jobber, not that the poster think he is one.
>>
>>1413883
>Aries' success in NXT
>>
>>1414045
It was actually 800k plus merchandising. To give you an idea of what that is Ryback was around the 500k mark and Rollins iirc was either at a million or just shy of it. Nakamura was like 1.2 mil though so at least there is a decent chance they will try to use him properly if they are willing to spend that on him.
>>
They DID have him lose clean to Kevin Owens. And they DID break up the Club for a couple weeks. I think there was some back pedaling after the bout with Ramen at Extreme Rules.
>>
File: 1463972106383.png (230KB, 380x331px) Image search: [Google]
1463972106383.png
230KB, 380x331px
>AJ was supposed to work the low card
>>
>>1414137

Well, very few people have beat Kevin Owens clean. I wanna say only Cena, Roman, and Dean have done it.. did Rusev as well? I can't remember.
>>
>>1414176

Sami Zayne beat KO clean last Monday.
>>
>dean is a draw
>reigns suspended
>more indie guys coming
>"the look" is unimportant
Anti-smarks on suicide watch

IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING
>>
>>1414184
>literally the first clean pinfall Zayn has got over his bitter rival
>le cheeky roll-up win

At least they're going to keep them apart for a while after this next PPV match and let them do other things because brand split. I'd hate for them to beat such a based feud into the ground.
>>
>>1414045
>doubting WWE's ability to waste money

BUT YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT, PERRO
>>
>>1413883
Vanilla midgets WILL KILL WRESTLING
>>
File: DAMMIT.png (156KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
DAMMIT.png
156KB, 400x299px
>>1414098
>anyone with a little bit of knowlege

Pic Unrelated.
>>
File: 1337111546003s.jpg (13KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1337111546003s.jpg
13KB, 251x251px
AJ was meant to work the *lower card into the mid card

They were going to make him an IC title monkey like Cesaro

but that ain't happening now
>>
>WWE becoming TNA 2.0 is somehow a good thing

lelno
>>
>>1414321
>TNA 2.0

[Please Elaborate]
>>
>>1414321
considering how much TNA wasted talent this isn't a bad thing

joe and aj are two of the best workers in the company and aries and roode are very solid
>>
>>1414321
TNA was actually great at one point in history so you need to be more specific
>>
>meltzer
>>
>>1414321
WWE just needs an X-Division-like title for everyone who's not a heavyweight.

And then magic happens if you actually fucking let them wrestle.
>>
>>1414354

Is it sad I want more gimmick matches?

Not a "Judy Bagwell on a Pole" match or something, but I want more tournaments like King of the Ring, ladder matches that involve "prizes", a trio division, a few more steel cage matches, the Elimination Chamber done correctly, just stuff like that. I love WWE, I watch it, and some of the time it can be great, but a upwards of 10 hours of wrestling a week from different shows wears thin. Shake up the formula a little.
>>
>>1414743
this

part of what i always found interesting about pro wrestling was the overall craziness. nowadays it's just "normal wrestler vs normal wrestler" and if i wanted to watch just that i'd watch UFC or boxing or actual fighting
>>
>>1413883

>Meltzer also noted that Styles was originally brought in to work low on the cards

If this is true, there is no saving this fucking company. Even if they changed their mind, bringing in the best and most over wrestler on the fucking planet intended for him to open shows is indefensibly retarded.

If it's not true, 8/10 troll would rage again.
>>
File: Bray-Wyatt.png (481KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
Bray-Wyatt.png
481KB, 615x409px
>>1414274
>tfw every day is one day closer to Right Smarkbuster's suicide
>>
>>1414743

They don't necessarily need MORE gimmick matches, they just have to use their gimmick matches better.

Instead of this "LOL IT'S THE LADDER MATCH PPV" or "LOL EXTREME RULES PPV" gimmicky hogshit, let feuds naturally develop into something that benefits from a gimmick match as a blowoff.

Like the Dalton Castle vs Silas Young feud in Ring of Honor. They spent a few months and a couple PPVs trying to beat the snot out of each other back and forth, so it culminated in a Fight Without Honor that was really cool. They didn't have a LOL FIGHTS WITHOUT HONOR PPV.

The WWE is also going to have to let some hardcore shit happen if they want us to give a fuck about hardcore type matches in general. The only two I can remember that actually DID something with their gimmick recently were the three way tag team Ladder Match between New Day, Lucha Dragons, and Usos, and the 4v4 Extreme Rules match between the Wyatts and the ECW Retirement Home. Those matches actually had some ladder spots and a bunch of garbage spots that made them feel worthwhile.
>>
>>1413883
daily reminder that no matter how much of a contrarian you want to be online you are literally watching the greatest wrestler in history at the apex of his career
>>
>>1414758
>most over wrestler on the planet
Tee hee
>>
>AJ Styles make Vince Mcmahon a AJ Styles mark
>>
>>1414815
> greatest wrestler in history
> jamie noble in lifts with added flips
Oh you
>>
>>1414829
Noble was a damn solid worker.
Shame Sheamus broke his fucking back.
>>
>>1414821
>Great work ethic
>Grew up in a trailer park like Vince
>Had an abusive dad like Vince
>Played football
>Did amateur wrestling
It's easy to see why Vince would like him desu
>>
File: smug.jpg (105KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
105KB, 800x800px
>first roman's suspension
>second dean is a draw
>third AJ is a main eventer and over with vince
>mfw I'm around when the anti-smark meme ends
>>
>>1414743
I wouldn't call 'king of the ring' a gimmick match. I'd call it one of the greatest tournaments in wrestling history - its a great way to elevate guys. Think of the list of main event talent that have won KOTR - Bret Hart twice, Owen Hart, Stone Cold, Triple H, Randy Savage, Ted dibiase, Edge, Brock Lesnar. All those wins let them be legit threats and helped most of them be pushed over the edge to being main event talents.

Like the royal rumble achieves a similar goal but is way more flukey. Same with MITB. Those are 'gimmick matches' - slower battle royal and elevated ladder match. KOTR is a straight up singles tournament - which I enjoy.

I fucking hate extreme rules, TLC, Hell in a Cell, elimination chamber PPV's. It ruins the whole point of matches if almost every match on the card has some form of that stipulation.
>>
>>1414837
But he's 1) not gay 2) not 6'3+ 250lbs 3) not gay 4) not handsome 5) not gay 6) has a southern drawl and most important 7) not gay.

AJ won't suck his dick so i'm shocked he's over with the boss.
>>
aj styles also known as redneck with anime hair is a hard worker and has been in the bidness for years.
He struggled to the top but he finally made it to the wwe after years of working new japan and being squanderd by TNA
>>
>>1414881
>I wouldn't call 'king of the ring' a gimmick match.

You're right, calling it a gimmick match is wrong, but it's different. It allows them to do something and even get someone with a gimmick that has been proved to work with the right people. I just wanna see more active reasons why these guys need to go at it, but also not the same match ups week in and week out.
>>
Austin aries is roided out though
>>
>>1413883
AJ doesn't look like a "normal guy"
His hair and his round little face with the teeny tiny baby beard make him look like a "gay community"
>>
>>1413883

TURN UP FOR WHAT!!!!
>>
>>1413883
>Styles was originally brought in to work low on the cards, and possibly get to the middle

This company, man.
>>
>>1414307

I wanted him in the IC Title hunt. I thought he could bring some prestige back to it.
>>
>>1413883
Bullshit! As long as Vince is still breathing he'll never change the policy on the mentality on signing workers who "looked like normal guys". He'll always aim for bodybuilders and Samoans as top guys.

Meltzer is a propagating, lying piece of shit.
>>
>>1414291
Good, now we can move on with our lives normally.
>>
>>1414045
>why would the dubyadubyaE waste hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars

Dunno ask the wrestlers in their company who earn hundreds of thousands and literally go nowhere. AJ Style's stock was ridiculously high and NJPW was getting really good global exposure purely because he was someone the baka gaijins could grab onto. Okada and Nakamura also fall under that description who also sell tens of thousands of tickets on name value in Japan. Buying up the competitions stars then letting them go nowhere in the E' or jobbing them out so no one would pay money to see them was literally all they did in the 90s.

Of course, Meltz is full of shit though because the whole reason they snapped up all the NJPW and NOAH top guys (who aren't meme wrestlers like the young bucks) they can is to expand their markets into Japan.
>>
>>1414291
deancuck in tears
>>
>>1414881

It's a shame the KOTR gimmick is used so poorly now though. Who was the last guy they actually used it to elevate anyways? It's basically King of the Jobbers now.
>>
>>1415317
Funniest part is they go back got their country like Tajiri or Funaki and still draw and work.

I still don't understand why they brought in all those Japs and did nothing with them then let them go back to Japan.
>>
>>1415483
Lesnar in 2002 comes to mind.
>>
>>1415570

14 years. My point exactly.
>>
>>1415483
>>1415570
>>1415579
Regal was elevated until he pissed dirty
>>
>>1415590

6 years. My point exactly.
>>
>>1415621
Why are you being so haughty in stating obvious facts?

WWE went almost 5 years without even doing KOTR
>>
>>1415623

The fact they can't even be bothered to do it every year is part of the problem.
>>
>>1413883
AJ NEEDS to wet his hair like this
>>
>this entire thread
>it's a "smarks actually think people care about wrestling not from WWE" episode
Styles would be lucky to even be on the mid card in the company. Besides the wrestling, he's got nothing. Can he do a talk show circuit to promote the company? Can he talk to kids for a positive company image? Does he specialize in a prestigious field to draw in a different demographic? Is he related to any celebrities to draw them in? No. Mid card is the highest he'll ever be. He's not a star. He's just a wrestler.
>>
>>1415971
It's over Romark.

You lost.

Acceptance is the last step for recovery.
>>
>>1415982
Come on, I can admit he's a good wrestler. Better than most. But that's all he is: a wrestler.
>>
>>1415988
That's still more than what Roman is.
>>
>>1414039
No, thats bullshit.
He negotiated a pretty good deal.
They didnt but that money in him to be a jobber.
I think he was planed as upper midcard from the beginning.
>>
>>1415971
He's definitely an upper mid card guy and that's what they brought him in for. He can talk to people, he's an honest southern guy who can be a dick pretty well in heel promos who's at least a top 3 best wrestler on the planet. Also, has a bit of name value back when marks knew what TNA was. My little brother who'd barely watched TNA knew who he was back in 2008/9. Same goes with Joe to a lesser extent.

He's also gotten over and sold a shit load of merch in every company he's ever been apart of and so far in the WWE he's over and selling merch well.
>>
>>1415971
Anti-smark, the results are in buddy.

>Roman suspended
>Dean is a draw
>AJ is a main eventer
>WWE doing CWC to bring in more midgets

Your time is over. Let it go, anti-smark.
>>
>>1416001
>WWE in charge of planning

top lel
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.