[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hosses in the current era

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

File: bg.jpg (72KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
bg.jpg
72KB, 600x848px
So I am watching the Goldberg collection on the WWE Network and it was absolutely insane how much of a phenom he was in the 90's. For someone who couldn't really wrestle that well and left a lot to be desired on the mic he was insanely popular. To the point he always gets overlooked in the most popular wrestlers ever debates, but one could make a case he was just as popular as an Austin or Rock.

Could a character like Bill Goldberg even work in the current era? Or would the crowd instantly shit on him for lacking wrestling or mic skills case in point: Roman Reigns.
>>
>>1364656
Goldberg saying "WHO'S NEXT" is better than any promo Roman has ever done.
>>
>Could a character like Bill Goldberg even work in the current era?

Moose was [still is, actually] over as fuck in ROH and his initial time in the company was much the same.
>>
Ryback was over as fuck from debut until losing to CM Punk.
>>
Goldberg didn't begin by being forced down your throat. He was just a guy beating up the lower mid card week to week and winning. It was done in a very organic, grass roots type feel where he had time to grow in to a monster while the spotlight still shone elsewhere. That could work again, but you'd need patience.
>>
All depends on how they book him.
>>
Cage is another modern example, he's tremendously over in LU.
>>
File: dean.png (609KB, 657x600px) Image search: [Google]
dean.png
609KB, 657x600px
>>1364656
Well my Dean is currently being booked as an unstoppable monster face. My Dean is like a Goldberg/Stone Cold/Mick Foley hybrid.
>>
>>1364656
Rusev was better than Goldberg ever was, and it was a struggle to keep his undefeated streak going, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that this character in general doesn't fly anymore.
>>
I thought he was pretty good in ring actually. No Bret or HBK obviously but he was very athletic and could do some cool kicks.

>>1364695

Rusev is a manlet compared to Goldberg and isn't a face
>>
>>1364656
Lucha Underground has some pretty popular hosses
>>
>>1364693
Pls have sex
>>
>>1364695
Rusev kept getting more-and-more over as his streak went on, the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1364702
I did last night
>>
>>1364698
>Rusev is only 1,83
Goddamn.
>>
>>1364656
>Goldberg will never invent a time machine and tell his past self not to leave in 2004
>>
>>1364692

Cage can actually wrestle pretty well though.
>>
>>1364692

Samefagging here.

Cage is like a roided out Scott Steiner that can still do the flippy shit like young Scott Steiner. But on a lower tier when it comes to promos.
>>
>>1364692
>outlaw wrestling
>>
>>1364692
> being over in outlaw mexican telenovellas
> meaning anything
>>
>>1364656

Rusev was a mini-Goldberg for some months. Though Rusev is a better worker, has his own charisma on the mic, AND had Lana as a manager.

Ryback was sort of over (not nearly like Goldberg) when he first debuted as Ryback and was flattening jobbers. Ryback was FAIRLY well regarded by fans before book and Creative absolutely fucked him.
>>
>>1364930

Everyone is on a lower tier than Scott Steiner when it comes to promos.
>>
>>1364695
>>1364993
Goldberg had a 11/10 look going for him, also Rusev being foreign wouldnt make it work
>>
>>1364936
Is "outlaw" just anything that isn't wwe?
>>
>>1365018
Originally it meant promotion who didn't recognize the National Wrestling Association and it's territory based system, but nowadays shitposters use it to refer to anything that's not the WWE, or TNA in some cases. Ironically, telling the NWA to fuck off the edge of their dick was an instrumental part of the astronomic rise of the WWF back in the day.
>>
>>1365037
National Wrestling Alliance* Jesus Christ.
>>
I used to fap to Goldberg
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 642x722px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 642x722px
At the time his OtT physique combined with the stupid pyrotechnics, his monster truck, and that fucking stupid tribal tattoo just captured the era of new and modern wrestling vs the cartoony hulk hogans/wwf product.

One could point to Goldberg as the start of the reality era.
>>
You can't do that anymore, because the Internet fatasses question everything and remind you constantly that it's just a show. And WWE wants you to be good on the mic, or get someone to talk on your behalf (Heyman/Brock) because storylines are everything

As a kid you took whatever it was and it was awesome. I remember watching some guy knock on his door, and he's just burst out like the beast with a cop entourage and kill whoever was in the ring, and it was fucking amazing.

They were better times.
>>
>>1365226
Aren't you like 17? Isn't that a little too young to remember Goldberg?
>>
>>1365241
He is a compulsive liar as well as a fat mexican dwarf
>>
If Goldberg were here smarks will complain because he's too strong and he's shit on the mic.

Imagine if his fabricated winning streak got exposed in this era, Goldberg would be buried hard.
>>
If they booked Reigns this way following the Shield break-up, he would be over as fuck by now.
>Reigns starts squashing jobbers as Ambrose has his feud with Rollins
>slowly works up the card
>leave him out of the Rumble so he doesn't have to lose
>Reigns beats Rusev for the US title at Wrestlemania 31
>gets stripped of it some time after for repeatedly assaulting Hunter or some shit
>Ambrose wins the Rumble and challenges Lesnar
>Seth cashes in, Ambrose moves on to other shit
>Reigns continues up the card, wins Rumble, challenges Seth at Wrestlemania 32
>wins after Ambrose interferes and attacks Seth's security

Having him speak little all the while. I guarantee he would be white hot.
>>
>>1364695
Rusev wasnt near as imposing as Goldberg was. Goldberg looked like he could fucking murder you.

Rusev cant even reach Umaga or Prime Kane levels of monster status.
>>
>>1364677
I'd (mostly) agree with this assessment instead of writing my own opinion
>>
>>1365050
You're doing it wrong?
>>
The whole initial run of Goldberg is the very prototype of great booking. Goldberg is not a great wrestler, he never was, he cant even do promos, but what he did have in spades was pure presence, he had the look of a fucking monster, so thats what WCW went with.

Minimise the weaknesses, hide them, and push the strengths. It REALLY can be that simple.
>>
>>1365465
Then they went full retard, booked him in a 20 minute match with Regal who embarrassed him, then had him drop the streak to muh NWO and proceeded to run it all into the ground.

WCW are the literal definition of the phrase triumph and tragedy.
>>
>>1365465
I don't disagree, but don't you think the streak became a sort of forced meme a long with the Goldberg chants being pumped in?
>>
>>1364677

So, Ryback - except Ryback's push was too accelerated and was then completely ruined due to poor booking.
>>
>>1365375

+1 to this. So easy.

Vince just doesn't know how to book... Not to mention judge what his wrestlers can and can't do.
>>
File: MACHKA.png (906KB, 817x979px) Image search: [Google]
MACHKA.png
906KB, 817x979px
>>1365447
Rusev looks pretty fucking imposing to me man, more than Bill 'I lost in a shoot fight against Jericho' Goldberg
>>
>>1365574
Looks like your usual stronk fat midcarder.

He is closer to Snitsky/A-Train levels.
>>
>>1364971
Cage has more people cheering for him in the Temple than Reigns does in a WWE arena.

Prove me wrong Romarks

>>1365003
>also Rusev being foreign wouldnt make it work

...what?
>>
>>1365375
Much like Vince you are fundamentally misunderstanding why Reigns is not over.

>>gets stripped of it some time after

Ugh, fuck off.
>>
>>1365691
shut up beefcaek
>>
>>1365567
WWE currently doesn't respond well to people getting over more than they intend for them too. Unless they're the single most over guy at the time, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, etc. they'll just kill their momentum and double down on their preferred choice.
>>
>>1365375
I'm not a Roman Reigns fan, but I'd enjoy this. It's got a much better, gradual curve to the top, and it gives the audience more time to warm up to him.
>>
>>1366223
Vince has never really cared for this except during The Attitude Era.

Where he literally had no choice but to put on a product the fans wanted or go bankrupt.
>>
Lucha underground has cage, mil muertes, and matanza
>>
>>1364995

Everyone is on a different planet than Scott Steiner when it comes to promos.
>>
>>1366240
Except they can all wrestle surprisingly well
>>
>ctrl-f Elgin
>Phrase not found

fuck this thread
>>
>>1366479
Elgin is a fucking manlet
>>
>>1364656
>Could a character like Bill Goldberg even work in the current era?

Crowds will always, ALWAYS react to a big, believable bad-ass ripping through people.
If Ryback didn't cut promos about a self-help book and they booked him better overall he'd have gone over huge.
>>
>>1366480

>all you need to rekt with in the 2016 IWC is the truth
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 323x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 323x390px
>>1366483
>>
>>1366495
I said "believable", not "Welsh".
>>
>>1364656
Goldberg has genuine feats of strength. Getting big show into a delayed Jackhammer is a spectacle that is more impressive than any AA from Cena and any F5 from Brock and definitely rivals what the best high flyers can do, entertainment wise.
I think it there could be a case made that Goldberg was hands down, the strongest man to make it big in pro wrestling.
>>
>>1366512
>I think it there could be a case made that Goldberg was hands down, the strongest man to make it big in pro wrestling.

I don't think that could be made whatsoever considering the are numerous people stronger than him.
Lesnar and Mark are guys who you still may see on WWE programming who have more strength. Then there's prime Kane, who was, by all accounts, a monster in fact and fiction.
>>
>>1366480
>>1366486
Still stronker than a "Samoan badass"
>>
>>1364656
>Goldberg gave me the potatoes of all potatoes.
>doctor says I have 10% permanent brain damage, Bill.

What did Bret Hart mean by this?
>>
>>1366558
"Potato" is rasslin' jargon for an unintentional stiff hit.
>>
Who are your favourite hosses working today senpai? For me:

Luke Harper
Michael Elgin
Cage
Mil Muertes
Rusev
>>
>>1366707
Also Ishii if he is considered a hoss.
>>
>>1366707

Are any of those guys really a hose though?

Being a hoss isn't just about size. It's about a lack of skill too.

Braun Strowman is a hoss. Erick Rowan is a hoss.
>>
He was in WCW, that's why he was a big name, just like Booker T
>>
>>1366723
You can be a hoss and be a good worker.
>>
>>1366723
>Being a hoss isn't just about size. It's about a lack of skill too.

Who the fuck thinks this
>>
>>1364701
MIL
U
E
R
T
E
S
>>
>>1364971
>actually looking forward to next week's episode, every week
feels good
>>
>>1366480
>elgin regularly holds dudes over his head with one arm
>roman needs a break during the royal rumble
>>
>>1366821
>Lost to Fenix three times
>Lost to Matanza twice
>Lost in his own gimmick match twice
And there's more losing coming up in season 3.
>>
>>1364656
BIG HOSS
>>
>>1366729
>>1366742

Lack of skill might be a poor way of wording it.

A hoss generally has a somewhat limited moveset of power moves. Nasty clotheslines, various slams, maybe a couple suplexes, and so on. And I they move pretty slow too.

Rusev, Cage, and Harper all incorporate agility based stuff into their style of work, especially Cage. They all, to more or less of an extent, work a hybrid style and none of them are really a pure hoss like Big Show, Braun Strowman, or Kane.
>>
>>1366980
A Hoss is pretty much someone who is big and strong at the expense of being agile and technical. So even someone as big as Big Show, I would hesitate to call a hoss because of his unprecedented agility for someone his size.
>>
>>1366707

Braun Strowman. There I said it. Saw him at a house show a few weeks ago and the crowd was blown away how huge he was. Plus his offense looked credible against the New Day.
>>
>>1367063
That is to say, that doesn't necessarily mean the guy playing a hoss can't do more acrobatic things, but is purposefully narrowing down his offense to excentuate how strong and massive he is.
>>
>>1364922
why would he want to stay, though? His first taste of the wrestling world was fucking WCW and then WWE didn't exactly do him a lot of favors.
>>
>>1366707
Rusev's super athlete, amateur wrestling/muay thai hybrid style couldn't be less hoss-like.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.